PDA

View Full Version : Nelsen's formation/tactics thread

iy12l
02-04-2013, 09:33 PM
I stopped watching TFC games after Paul Mariner screwed things up, so I dont know whats going on with TFC. But what formation is TFC going to play with Ryan Nelson? I hope we dont play a 4-4-2, i think for now a 4-5-1 is the best for TFC.

Flipityflu
02-04-2013, 09:39 PM
well, that will really depend on who is actually playing for TFC.

Morlesio14
02-04-2013, 10:18 PM
4-1-2-1-2

mcolvy
02-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Nelson has been very broad when he refers to our playing style. I feel like he knows he cant come in here and expect to put in an intricate system that is above our skill level. He will work to create a culture, good habits and then firstly work on defensive schemes. Hell see what we have and put together an offense letter. I expect us to be choppy. He has however hinted at counter-attacking. Transitioning fast from defense to attack...

This doesnt lead to any particular formations, but doesnt seem like a braun or koevs targetman are the best fit. I always felt a two striker system was best on the counter, but I feel like an Arsenal style counter could work....

4-5-1 or one could assume it would look like a 4-2-3-1.

T-boy
02-04-2013, 10:44 PM
I stopped watching TFC games after Paul Mariner screwed things up, so I dont know whats going on with TFC. But what formation is TFC going to play with Ryan Nelson? I hope we dont play a 4-4-2, i think for now a 4-5-1 is the best for TFC.

It's still funny how people are assuming that playing 4-4-2 is boring, or that 4-3-3 is exciting etc. Formation is fairly irrelevant at this moment in time. I just hope first for a respectable team that can at least compete, and then secondly some reasonably attractive football. They could play 8-1-1 for all I care! One thing at a time.

This season is like coming out of a dry sex spell. You don't expect to bang a supermodel straight away! Just getting a little bit of action, maybe even a make-out session, would be a good start and would probably get you off enough! haha!

Greatest Ripoff
02-04-2013, 10:45 PM
If I had to put money on it, with out current roster I'd say we will be playing a single central striker system and 4-2-3-1 is definitely the formation du jour. Payne has also been on record as saying he thinks Frings and Cesar will both play together. They would be ideal for the '2'. The back '4' seems pretty set but the huge questions marks will be the '3' and the '1'.

Oldtimer
02-05-2013, 08:58 AM

I think a 4-5-1 (or 4-2-3-1) is the most likely plan, if the imminent signings include a winger and a striker.

As some others have said, the key thing is not as much formation as in putting together a workable system to replace kick-and-run. It sounds like Nelsen will go with a counter-attacking system, which traditionally has done well in MLS. It won't be excessively technical like Winter's but won't be bootball like Mariner. Despite Nelsen being a defender, I don't expect a 10-men-behind-the-ball like Preki. Probably at the beginning it will look like Houston did for many years, eventually in a few years morphing more towards the classic DC United play once the old DPs are gone and Payne brings in a few more latino players.

PopePouri
02-05-2013, 09:07 AM
I think a 4-5-1 (or 4-2-3-1) is the most likely plan, if the imminent signings include a winger and a striker.

As some others have said, the key thing is not as much formation as in putting together a workable system to replace kick-and-run. It sounds like Nelsen will go with a counter-attacking system, which traditionally has done well in MLS. It won't be excessively technical like Winter's but won't be bootball like Mariner. Despite Nelsen being a defender, I don't expect a 10-men-behind-the-ball like Preki. Probably at the beginning it will look like Houston did for many years, eventually in a few years morphing more towards the classic DC United play once the old DPs are gone and Payne brings in a few more latino players.

Nelsen also seems to asking the players to press with an emphasis on organization based on what I can decrypt from his interviews. Based on the goals scored, it looks like quick passing and 1-2s maybe something similar to how Dortmund plays.

Initial B
02-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Could they possibly run a 3-5-2? You could have Califf playing sweeper with O-Dea and Henry/Boss as CBs. The question is whether Morgan and Ecks have enough motor to play the wingback Position. The defensive Mid options would be Frings/Cesar/Dunfield with Bekker playing as the 10. The Forwards could have Braun/Koevs as Targetman with Silva/Welshman playing short striker.

But the fact that they have so few strikers right now makes me think they'll be playing a 4-5-1 at the start of the season.

Ultra & Proud
02-05-2013, 09:44 AM
I thought all along we'd use the 4-2-3-1 as it fits well with Frings and Cesar and because we have few legit forwards but I bet this will be what it is and I think it will stick no matter who we get in.

This formation is all the rage in England now and it should work out well for us on the road or late in games as the switch to 4-5-1 (or 5-4-1) should be seamless. At this moment I guess Braun is the up man but I would bet that we have a Honduran up there when the season starts. Wouldn't shock me to have Silva and two Hondurans as the 3 behind anyway.

gdg_9
02-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Based on the roster as is, I could definitely see the 4-2-3-1.

Ecks - Callif - O'Dea - Morgan
Frings - Cesar
??? - Silva - ???
Braun

Even if we sign some of the rumoured Honduran targets, this formation would still work.
Say we end up with Peralta, Lopez, and Quioto.

Peralta joins a 3-man rotation with Cesar and Frings for the 2 DM spots. This would be very good, as it would give Frings much-needed rest at his age (and Cesar for that matter), and also allow a young Peralta to ease into the lineup before being relied on as a full-time starter next season when Frings is gone.

Lopez fills the spot as one of the starting wingers.

Quioto joins the rotation as one of the strikers (it doesn't sound as if he is starting material yet anyway).

T-boy
02-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Could they possibly run a 3-5-2? You could have Califf playing sweeper with O-Dea and Henry/Boss as CBs. The question is whether Morgan and Ecks have enough motor to play the wingback Position. The defensive Mid options would be Frings/Cesar/Dunfield with Bekker playing as the 10. The Forwards could have Braun/Koevs as Targetman with Silva/Welshman playing short striker.

But the fact that they have so few strikers right now makes me think they'll be playing a 4-5-1 at the start of the season.

Unless we sign some strikers, we may start with 5-5-0!!!!!!

__wowza
02-05-2013, 10:20 AM
4-1-2-1-2

the modern spanish formation?

Gazza
02-05-2013, 10:23 AM

"Nobody expects the spanish formation!"

T-boy
02-05-2013, 10:40 AM

Isn't the NEW Spanish formation playing 10 midfielder's?

Auzzy
02-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Isn't the NEW Spanish formation playing 10 midfielder's?

Maybe they learned that from Mo.

Yohan
02-12-2013, 08:05 PM
This is only after 1 game, and I'm likely reading too much into this, but is it me, or is Nelsen copying Redknapp's tactics almost exactly?

Ever since Harry joined QPR, he's been playing very defensive 4-4-1-1 formation with wingers playing almost a defensive winger role, with relying heavily on counter for offence. Creativity is almost limited to one AM and one striker in lone role.

Kinda like how TFC lined up on Sat, with Silva as AM a la Taarbat. The wingers sat back a lot, with primary focus seemed to be on defence and sprinting like rabbits on counter...

jloome
02-12-2013, 09:59 PM
This is only after 1 game, and I'm likely reading too much into this, but is it me, or is Nelsen copying Redknapp's tactics almost exactly?

Ever since Harry joined QPR, he's been playing very defensive 4-4-1-1 formation with wingers playing almost a defensive winger role, with relying heavily on counter for offence. Creativity is almost limited to one AM and one striker in lone role.

Kinda like how TFC lined up on Sat, with Silva as AM a la Taarbat. The wingers sat back a lot, with primary focus seemed to be on defence and sprinting like rabbits on counter...

Pretty much it, I think. Technically Silva and Braun lined up together so it was a 4-4-2 but Luis looked like he had a pretty free role in the offensive end. Straight-up zonal defence after that, very constant shape.

It's kind of what Preki did, except we're pressing much higher.

Auzzy
02-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Does Harry call it "defend to attack"?

T-boy
02-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Nelson's pre season tactics and setup might just be dictated by the lack of forward players in the club right now. Things might be different when we actually have some strikers and some real wingers.

Manager87
02-13-2013, 02:14 AM
Nelson's pre season tactics and setup might just be dictated by the lack of forward players in the club right now. Things might be different when we actually have some strikers and some real wingers.

Took the words outta my mouth....but if tfc n nelson want success they must bring in 1 stirker at least maybe 2...Nelson is just using what he has and if payne doesnt bring a striker/forward before anything else then Nelson cant be blamed....

popluar soccer saying "good defense leads to good offense"

i personally think if tfc brings some decent forwards and play like they did on saturday and make sure they finish there chances then the season will be bright for tfc and there fans

Oldtimer
02-13-2013, 08:41 AM
Nelsen is doing what the guy in Bermuda shorts often said he was doing but didn't actually do.

He is taking the players that he has and is building a formation around them.

I wouldn't say that it's quite as dull as Preki, it's a more aggressive than that, but it is true that it is defensively-focused. Of course, that's where the focus needs to be right now.

Hopefully we soon land some good offensive players. Then we can see how Nelsen adapts, and do we like the resulting style (and more importantly, do we get the results).

Super
02-13-2013, 11:34 AM
We definitely need more firepower up front - or we'll start the season with draws and losses. Been there, done that. That's nothing new - especially for our club.

NO EXCUSES!