PDA

View Full Version : TV Schedule released for Canadian MLS teams

Yohan
02-05-2013, 03:00 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/02/05/mls-announces-30-game-tv-schedule-tsnrds-canada

Edit: Just for TSN/RDS

3/2/13
6:30 PM
Toronto FC
Vancouver Whitecaps
TSN
RDS2

3/9/13
1:30 PM
Sporting KC
Toronto FC
TSN
RDS2

3/16/13
4:00 PM
Toronto FC
Montreal Impact
TSN
RDS

3/30/13
2:00 PM
LA Galaxy
Toronto FC
TSN
RDS

4/13/13
Columbus Crew
Montreal Impact
TSN
RDS

4/13/13
Real Salt Lake
Vancouver Whitecaps
TSN
RDS2

4/27/13
New York Red Bulls
Toronto FC
TSN
RDS

4/27/13
Chicago Fire
Montreal Impact
TSN
RDS

6/8/13
Vancouver Whitecaps
Seattle Sounders
TSN
RDS2

6/19/13
8:00 PM
Houston Dynamo
Montreal Impact
TSN
RDS

6/19/13
10:00 PM
Chivas USA
Vancouver Whitecaps
TSN
RDS2

7/3/13
7:00 PM
Montreal Impact
Toronto FC
TSN
RDS

7/3/13
9:00 PM
Vancouver Whitecaps
Sporting KC
TSN
RDS2

7/6/13
11:00 PM
Seattle Sounders
Vancouver Whitecaps
TSN
RDS

7/13/13
Montreal Impact
New York Red Bulls
TSN2
RDS

7/20/13
New York Red Bulls
Toronto FC
TSN
RDS2

7/27/13
Sporting KC
Montreal Impact
TSN2
RDS

7/31/13
All-Star
All-Star
TSN
RDS

8/10/13
7:30 PM
San Jose Earthquakes
Vancouver Whitecaps
TSN
RDS2

8/17/13
DC United
Montreal Impact
TSN2
RDS

8/24/13
Houston Dynamo
Montreal Impact
TSN2
RDS

8/24/13
LA Galaxy
Vancouver Whitecaps
TSN2
RDS

9/11/13
7:30 PM
Chicago Fire
Toronto FC
TSN
RDS2

9/14/13
Toronto FC
New York Red Bulls
TSN2
RDS

9/21/13
Vancouver Whitecaps
Montreal Impact
TSN
RDS

9/28/13
1:00 PM
D.C. United
Toronto FC
TSN
RDS2

9/28/13
Real Salt Lake
Vancouver Whitecaps
TSN2
RDS2

10/9/13
10:00 PM
Vancouver Whitecaps
Seattle Sounders
TSN
RDS2

10/12/12
2:30 PM
New England Revolution
Montreal Impact
TSN
RDS

10/19/13
8:30 PM
Toronto FC
Chicago Fire
TSN2
RDS2

10/26/13
Montreal Impact
Toronto FC
TSN
RDS

David_Oliveira
02-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Not bad only two games on TSN2. The others seem to be on the main TSN

David_Oliveira
02-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Also looks like night games for the summer. I tend to enjoy the night games better. It tends to lead to a more intense atmosphere

Damien
02-05-2013, 03:25 PM
The 2 TSN2 games TFC plays are near the end of the season when games matter more though.

SirBobSaget
02-05-2013, 03:28 PM
The 2 TSN2 games TFC plays are near the end of the season when games matter more though.

.... or matter less :(

If they end up being key games then I'm sure TSN will shuffle them over to the main channel.

Nuvinho
02-05-2013, 03:36 PM
The June 1 game is at 6pm only because of the CFA exam that is at the Direct Energy Centre which finishes at 5pm.

OgtheDim
02-05-2013, 04:18 PM
So where did all the May Games go?

Oh yeah.....hockey.

Yohan
02-05-2013, 04:27 PM
So where did all the May Games go?

Oh yeah.....hockey.
waiting on Sportsnet I think

Yagbod
02-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Way too many early games for my liking. Especially the Dome opener. 1:30 !!!! Fuck right off TSN.

I propose we make a banner that says: "Sorry no banners, kick off was too early" and leave the rest at home.

Red CB Toronto
02-05-2013, 05:05 PM
The June 1 game is at 6pm only because of the CFA exam that is at the Direct Energy Centre which finishes at 5pm.

Why would the CFA exam have anything to do with the TFC start times, events at the direct energy centre have been on before when the reds play.

Yagbod
02-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Why would the CFA exam have anything to do with the TFC start times, events at the direct energy centre have been on before when the reds play.

One of my buddys here at work (also a TFC fan) wrote an exam there while a game was on. This was back when we made alot of noise. He said it was pretty distracting and you could hear the crowd pretty clearly in the exam room.

I think it is a good idea to respect the smrt peepol while they learns.

If only we could schedule an exam for the Dome opener....

Yagbod
02-05-2013, 05:25 PM
And please please please no tailgates for games starting before 4pm. Pretty please?

ensco
02-05-2013, 05:38 PM
Strange that they would run the TFC-Whitecaps opener, in Canada's two biggest markets, head to head with Sidney Crosby and Montreal on HNIC.

That night the Leafs are off, and Canucks play late, but still, it seems dumb. There is always a buzz about an opener. It's a waste.

Red CB Toronto
02-05-2013, 05:46 PM
And please please please no tailgates for games starting before 4pm. Pretty please?

We have always enjoyed doing at least one breakfast tailgate, but we will have to see once the entire scedule is confirmed with kickoff times where it all falls.

Yagbod
02-05-2013, 06:00 PM
We have always enjoyed doing at least one breakfast tailgate, but we will have to see once the entire scedule is confirmed with kickoff times where it all falls.

You could always have a breakfast menu in the afternoon. Just my two cents, but I've been to a few and the turnout isn't the same in the morning. Nor is the spirit of the attendees.

prizby
02-05-2013, 06:13 PM
look at how we get stuck with these awful afternoon games while all the away games in US cities on weekends are AT NIGHT...this is pathetic...who wants to be at BMO Field at 1pm on a sunny afternoon day.

(this is me being nice right now...inside my head, its full of %^&*&*$%&$%*^$*)

Yohan
02-05-2013, 06:25 PM
look at how we get stuck with these awful afternoon games while all the away games in US cities on weekends are AT NIGHT...this is pathetic...who wants to be at BMO Field at 1pm on a sunny afternoon day.

(this is me being nice right now...inside my head, its full of %^&*&*$%&$%*^$*)
in TSN's eyes, hockey > soccer. and you can hardly blame them for that

spe18
02-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Strange that they would run the TFC-Whitecaps opener, in Canada's two biggest markets, head to head with Sidney Crosby and Montreal on HNIC.

That night the Leafs are off, and Canucks play late, but still, it seems dumb. There is always a buzz about an opener. It's a waste.

Well, that's because of TSN's curling coverage that weekend :)

http://www.tsn.ca/curling/feature/?id=1085

spe18
02-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Ya, so to add to the above post, not only does:

hockey > soccer, BUT

curling > soccer :D

ensco
02-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Well, that's because of TSN's curling coverage that weekend :)

http://www.tsn.ca/curling/feature/?id=1085

I forgot. This exact problem has happened before.

It is also not optimal that the Whitecaps play so close to a Canucks game (this game will end only about 90 minutes before the Canucks-Kings game down the street), which will make it traffic hell postgame.

Seems obvious that putting this game on the west coast was a mistake. It should have been played in Toronto at 1.30pm.

Redcoe15
02-05-2013, 06:45 PM
It would seem then that the March 16th game between Toronto and Montreal at the Big Ow is officialy at 4:00PM.

EXCELLENT! That would give those of us who'll be in Montreal for the match plenty of time to get ready and get our drink faces on. :drinking:

WE ARE SOOOO GONNA ROCK THAT TOWN THAT DAY!!!

Yagbod
02-05-2013, 07:46 PM
On the Dome opener: I would rather it not be on TV than at that stupid kick off time.

On the Montreal time of 4pm: I think that is optimal. I just hope it doesn't turn ugly as a result of booze.

There is a reason that all ManUre v Liverpool games start at noon...

Yohan
02-05-2013, 07:53 PM
On the Dome opener: I would rather it not be on TV than at that stupid kick off time.

On the Montreal time of 4pm: I think that is optimal. I just hope it doesn't turn ugly as a result of booze.

There is a reason that all ManUre v Liverpool games start at noon...it's the tv money, not the actually game on tv that matters to MLS and TFC for the most part

Greatest Ripoff
02-05-2013, 08:15 PM
who wants to be at BMO Field at 1pm on a sunny afternoon day

I do.

Yagbod
02-05-2013, 08:51 PM
it's the tv money, not the actually game on tv that matters to MLS and TFC for the most part

That pretty much goes without saying. Unless you think that is good and are trying to defend them?

Yohan
02-05-2013, 08:59 PM
That pretty much goes without saying. Unless you think that is good and are trying to defend them?
if you're saying whether I think it's important that TFC and MLS receive lots of TV money, then yes.

Yagbod
02-05-2013, 10:25 PM
if you're saying whether I think it's important that TFC and MLS receive lots of TV money, then yes.

Wow, fair enough. I'd love to hear your argument.

I'm more in favour of a quality product. I think the money will follow that. I don't just mean on the pitch either. Early games make for quiet fans. People are still waking up and to be honest are not drunk enough to generate the noise that makes for good TV.

The league and team do not sell images of people sitting on their hands they sell the image of the exuberant supporter. If I am a neutral watching the game I think the good atmosphere is much more attractive than the largely dead atmosphere. Additionally the time is wrong for the casual/neutral viewer. If you are not a fan already you are probably doing something else on an early Saturday afternoon.

I would suggest, not knowing your argument, that your view is one of short term gain at the expense of long term growth. Which ultimately will make TFC and MLS more money.

As an aside, the only reason I can think to wish they make more money is so they raise the salary cap. Otherwise why would anyone not being paid by those companies care in the least about whether they make money?

prizby
02-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Looked at the American MLS teams...combined between the 16 of them, they host 171 home games on Saturday's. Of those 171, 140 of them kickoff at 7pm or later. This infuriates me

Yohan
02-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Wow, fair enough. I'd love to hear your argument.

I'm more in favour of a quality product. I think the money will follow that. I don't just mean on the pitch either. Early games make for quiet fans. People are still waking up and to be honest are not drunk enough to generate the noise that makes for good TV.

The league and team do not sell images of people sitting on their hands they sell the image of the exuberant supporter. If I am a neutral watching the game I think the good atmosphere is much more attractive than the largely dead atmosphere. Additionally the time is wrong for the casual/neutral viewer. If you are not a fan already you are probably doing something else on an early Saturday afternoon.

I would suggest, not knowing your argument, that your view is one of short term gain at the expense of long term growth. Which ultimately will make TFC and MLS more money.

As an aside, the only reason I can think to wish they make more money is so they raise the salary cap. Otherwise why would anyone not being paid by those companies care in the least about whether they make money?
We still have an atmosphere at BMO? :p

Seriously, it's the reality of modern football. The fact is, without TV money, a league cannot survive. MLS currently gets $27 mil from US TV networks. Add in few mil from TSN, plus regional network deals and it still isn't big enough pot. An MLS team without DPs cost around 4 mil per team, incl salary spent with allocation money. That's just salaries and 76 million bucks for 19 teams. Add in travel cost, infrastructure and it's way more.
To stop hemmorhaging money, MLS needs all the TV network money it gets, even if it means games have to play second fiddle to hockey, hell, curling and other games that get more viewers than MLS soccer, sadly.

In the reality of MLS FO, Toronto is a blip in the big picture. MLS is geared towards American viewership. Whether a few hours of late start means more drunk Canadians chanting means very little in MLS world. Pictures of Seattle and Portland supporters with LA winning cups surprise any publicity TFC or any Canadian team can generate.

So does MLS FO really care whether Canadian games are held early or not? Not until Canadian viewership surpasses hockey ratings for making it worth MLS FO to fight for a late TV. And MLS will take whatever PR from TV ratings generated from earlier times than competing with hockey at 7pm start. (and shitty TV slot is better than no TV slot)

For the record, a lot of Americans will also suffer from early afternoon starts. Ugh.

And why does England have no problem generating atmosphere from early afternoon Sat games?

Yohan
02-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Let's also keep in mind that due to limited supporter's sections, we are limited in ability to grow numbers. No amount of later start time is going to get people to come to the games before kick off time. No amount of drunk people is going to overcome apathy to generate better atmosphere at BMO.

The days of BMO rocking is long gone. We are no longer leaders in supporter culture in MLS.

Strikers
02-05-2013, 11:33 PM
I would like to see more night games on the weekend but I do like the afternoon games as well.

Got to face the fact that Saturday night for most people in Canada is for hockey and that's not going to change anytime soon.

With that said late June, July, & August games should definately be night games.

Red CB Toronto
02-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Looked at the American MLS teams...combined between the 16 of them, they host 171 home games on Saturday's. Of those 171, 140 of them kickoff at 7pm or later. This infuriates me

The timing for scheduling sporting events here is quite different here in Canada than the US. Look at major league baseball, games on a Saturday night is very common where you would never see the Jays do it.

Greatest Ripoff
02-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Do you guys care about getting drunk and having a social time or watching football? Is the MLS so bad that you need to be drunk to enjoy it?

What is it about night games that you are missing that is making you so mad?

Yagbod
02-06-2013, 12:18 AM
Do you guys care about getting drunk and having a social time or watching football? Is the MLS so bad that you need to be drunk to enjoy it?

What is it about night games that you are missing that is making you so mad?

I think it is undeniable that the night games have better atmosphere.

This is not about me drinking. I think it is about everyone else drinking. I could be wrong, it could be something else. But either way: night games have better atmosphere.

Yagbod
02-06-2013, 12:19 AM
Yohan: Very well argued! I disagree with some, but it's late. Perhaps tomorrow.

TFC07
02-06-2013, 01:28 AM
I would like to see more night games on the weekend but I do like the afternoon games as well.

Got to face the fact that Saturday night for most people in Canada is for hockey and that's not going to change anytime soon.

With that said late June, July, & August games should definately be night games.
Even during the summer time? I prefer mix of afternoon and night games. In a perfect world, league games will be played on Saturday afternoon (like at 3-5pm) while non-league games (example CCL) played on weeknights at 8pm. Problem is that we don't have a roof to block the sun to keep crowd cool. Once we have a roof, then I think a lot of people would stop complaining.

ensco
02-06-2013, 07:52 AM

I don't get the anger. Isn't it obviously about the weather? Early and late in the year, BMO is often unpleasant. That's doubly true at night.

Along the same lines, I don't think it's about TV at all. This team has a ton of tickets to sell. It's about maximizing the potential for a decent walkup gate on a nice spring or fall day.

(Agree with whoever said that the SKC Dome game should be at 4pm btw.)

nfitz
02-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Problem is that we don't have a roof to block the sun to keep crowd cool.Bingo. Which is why it's insane to have a 1 pm start on June 29th when the sun is so strong ... or a 2 pm start in late July. The east stands, and even the south and north stands can be pretty unbearable. I've had to leave early with a child who is suffering from heat stroke ... and I know others have had issues too.

And what about the players? Even a roof won't help them (not that there are any plans to build one ...). Anything before 4 or 5 pm is just unforgivable in July. 7 pm would be fine with me.

I'm sure a lot of people will be annoyed at whatever time we play ... but it's those 2 early summer starts that I'd think everyone should be ragging on them for.

DangerRed
02-06-2013, 01:35 PM
Don't get the bitching from every angle in this thread. Kick-offs seem comparable to past years. I'm just excited we've got some (hopefully improved) football on the way.

OgtheDim
02-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Imagine playing in November, early December, late January and February, like FIFA wants us to. Assuming they could winterise the stadium, which in theory should be doable, we'd be playing every home game for most of the season at 1.

nfitz
02-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Imagine playing in November, early December, late January and February, like FIFA wants us to. Assuming they could winterise the stadium, which in theory should be doable, we'd be playing every home game for most of the season at 1.January and February? We'd simply be at Skydome. Montreal and Toronto are fine. It's the slightly warmer cities that don't have indoor stadiums. Does Chicago have anything? Or Denver? Or Salt Lake?

Fort York Redcoat
02-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Saturdays and Wednesdays. Good enough for me.

There's that one Friday game. Meh.

Carts
02-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Saturdays and Wednesdays. Good enough for me.

There's that one Friday game. Meh.

I really LOVED the Canada International Friday Night Matches - and I'm hoping a 'TFC Friday Weekend' goes the same...

Jetted early from work, couple of pints, the match, post-game (great night) and still had full Sat/Sat Night/Sun of my weekend...

Once in the year - I think it'll have a vibe all its own and a rockin' atmosphere...

prizby
02-06-2013, 02:51 PM
I really LOVED the Canada International Friday Night Matches - and I'm hoping a 'TFC Friday Weekend' goes the same...

Jetted early from work, couple of pints, the match, post-game (great night) and still had full Sat/Sat Night/Sun of my weekend...

Once in the year - I think it'll have a vibe all its own and a rockin' atmosphere...

depends; canada games kicked off at 7:45; you can forget it, if its a 7:00 kickoff

prizby
02-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Imagine playing in November, early December, late January and February, like FIFA wants us to. Assuming they could winterise the stadium, which in theory should be doable, we'd be playing every home game for most of the season at 1.

wouldn't be a problem; sun won't be in people's eyes

GhostKiller
02-06-2013, 03:56 PM
I know most of my friends who consider themselves casual TFC fans would never show up to a 1 or 2 pm game. I thought TFC was trying to market to a younger hipper crowd? Guess what, no one in that demographic want to go to a half asleep stadium at that time!

Of course TFC cant compete with other sports for TV space, its because we fuck over any chance of growing a market here.

I agree that July Aug and Sept should be evening games.

Auzzy
02-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Sportsnet TFC schedule released: http://www.sportsnet.ca/pressroom/2013/02/06/sportsnet_announces_tfc_2013_broadcast_schedule/

I like the times for the home games on Sportsnet. Evenings in August. Afternoon in late September.

EDIT I also like the times for most of the home games on TSN. Mostly afternoons in spring in fall; evenings in summer. Only real exception for me:

7/20/13 4:00 PM New York Red Bulls Toronto FC TSN RDS2

I wish that one could be later. Could be brutal especially for the east stands.

Auzzy
02-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Full schedule now up at http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/02/broadcast-schedule-unveiled (http://t.co/6E9Whh8I)

LittleOzzy
02-06-2013, 05:12 PM
So excited that GolTV is out as a broadcaster.

First good move on the broadcast side now that Rogers owns part of the team.

Greatest Ripoff
02-06-2013, 05:13 PM
I know most of my friends who consider themselves casual TFC fans would never show up to a 1 or 2 pm game. I thought TFC was trying to market to a younger hipper crowd? Guess what, no one in that demographic want to go to a half asleep stadium at that time!

Of course TFC cant compete with other sports for TV space, its because we fuck over any chance of growing a market here.

I agree that July Aug and Sept should be evening games.

Half a sleep at 1 or 2 pm? Aren't most football fans in Canada up at 7am or 9am to watch football on TV?

moralis
02-06-2013, 05:42 PM
If anyone has twitter can you ask John Molinaro when the Fan 590 will provide info on their TFC radio coverage and also who will do the commentary. Guessing it will be Gerry Dobson and Craig Forest.

Redcoe15
02-06-2013, 06:08 PM
So excited that GolTV is out as a broadcaster.

First good move on the broadcast side now that Rogers owns part of the team.
The downside? Dobson and Forrest as probable play by play crew on Sportsnet. :prrr:

GhostKiller
02-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Half a sleep at 1 or 2 pm? Aren't most football fans in Canada up at 7am or 9am to watch football on TV?

Ya but its the casual fans that fill the stadium for now.

Also seeing the full schedule now its not as bad as I originally thought.

Brooker
02-07-2013, 12:08 AM
What the fuck is on TSN2? Do they show more Bob MClown in studio radio shows?

And what's with all the 1pm start times?! Having to wake up at 10am for a sporting event is madness. That's only 6 hours after a lot of young folks go to bed Friday nights!

Greatest Ripoff
02-07-2013, 12:15 AM

tsn2 show premiership matches, nhl, nba ect. Basically anything that there isn't room for on tsn. Bob is on sportsnet.

Carts
02-07-2013, 10:24 AM
depends; canada games kicked off at 7:45; you can forget it, if its a 7:00 kickoff

To be honest, one match on a Friday at 7pm won't bother me... I'll take a half-day or day-off... Make it special, and a party weekend...

If there were multiple ones, that would be a problem, as I wouldn't want to eat up days off...

But a one-off = HELLS YES!

Carts
02-07-2013, 10:34 AM

And what's with all the 1pm start times?! Having to wake up at 10am for a sporting event is madness. That's only 6 hours after a lot of young folks go to bed Friday nights!

6hrs...??? Brooker, you're getting old!!! LOL

I don't like 1pm starts either... Too early in the day for me...

But you can't please everyone with the schedule...

At the end of the day - variety is best...

Carts
02-07-2013, 10:36 AM

Yes, and we're all drunk and almost passed out by 1pm-2pm...

Toss is a booze-snooze from 1pm-2pm, and a 4pm match, and you have a solid 2-drunk-day...

Throw in some pizza & another snooze at 8pm then out to the club - and do the triple-shot-drunk... Aka damn good Saturday!

prizby
02-07-2013, 12:35 PM
To be honest, one match on a Friday at 7pm won't bother me... I'll take a half-day or day-off... Make it special, and a party weekend...

If there were multiple ones, that would be a problem, as I wouldn't want to eat up days off...

But a one-off = HELLS YES!

and wednesday 7pm games?

you'd still be in the minority of ppl that take the time off

prizby
02-07-2013, 12:38 PM
6hrs...??? Brooker, you're getting old!!! LOL

I don't like 1pm starts either... Too early in the day for me...

But you can't please everyone with the schedule...

At the end of the day - variety is best...

variety? what variety?

0 Saturday home games out of 12 on TSN kickoff at 7pm or later. Teams in the United States have 81.8% of their Saturday home games kicking off at 7pm or later.

what the f*** is the point of having a season ending survey asking fans what time they want kickoff at if they aren't going to even put any games at night on Saturday's. And don't tell me it has to do with programming because last time I checked, the OWNER'S of TSN own a piece of TFC

Fort York Redcoat
02-07-2013, 12:45 PM
variety? what variety?

0 Saturday home games out of 12 on TSN kickoff at 7pm or later. Teams in the United States have 81.8% of their Saturday home games kicking off at 7pm or later.

what the f*** is the point of having a season ending survey asking fans what time they want kickoff at if they aren't going to even put any games at night on Saturday's. And don't tell me it has to do with programming because last time I checked, the OWNER'S of TSN own a piece of TFC

TSN can make more money putting something else on TV instead of their own product so they move it. 'Cause they own it.

The point of the survey is to show how many people want it a certain way. It's not a guarantee they can or will do what you want.

Carts
02-07-2013, 01:06 PM
and wednesday 7pm games?

you'd still be in the minority of ppl that take the time off

Oh I hate Wednesday 7pm games... Even when I lived downtown I couldn't get there on time...

But, I also choose not to be steamin' angry over things like this...

It truly is #firstworldproblems if we're complaining passionately about the start times of our football club that we have season tickets too... LOL

Relax, and enjoy the utter chaos that will ensue on our roadways tonight b/c of the snow - wait, shit, I'll be stuck in that! :( LOL

prizby
02-07-2013, 01:38 PM
TSN can make more money putting something else on TV instead of their own product so they move it. 'Cause they own it.

The point of the survey is to show how many people want it a certain way. It's not a guarantee they can or will do what you want.

i guess all the poker i watched at night last year was a big $$$ maker

T9Op2YQ7yyU

nfitz
02-07-2013, 02:00 PM
and wednesday 7pm games?Games? There's only one TFC 7pm Wednesday game this season, that's far less than last year.

And it's during the middle of a 4-day week in July. Traffic should be relatively light compared to most evenings. I'd sooner be driving to a 7 pm game that day, than the 7:30 pm on September 11th, which is during the heaviest period of traffic in the year. Though both days have also got Blue Jays games starting at 7 pm ...

There's 2 or 3 really bad start times (for some at least) ... I'm having a hard time getting too upset ... it could be a lot worse. Now if only they could schedule around my vacations better ...

prizby
02-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Games? There's only one TFC 7pm Wednesday game this season, that's far less than last year.

And it's during the middle of a 4-day week in July. Traffic should be relatively light compared to most evenings. I'd sooner be driving to a 7 pm game that day, than the 7:30 pm on September 11th, which is during the heaviest period of traffic in the year. Though both days have also got Blue Jays games starting at 7 pm ...

There's 2 or 3 really bad start times (for some at least) ... I'm having a hard time getting too upset ... it could be a lot worse. Now if only they could schedule around my vacations better ...

so why does tfc out of 14 staruday games have 1 game kicking off at 7pm or later...nearly 82% of the games played south of the border kick off at 7pm or later

funny how tsn had no "scheduling" issues picking 3 Impact games on Saturday's to be in the evening

Fort York Redcoat
02-07-2013, 02:27 PM
so why does tfc out of 14 staruday games have 1 game kicking off at 7pm or later...nearly 82% of the games played south of the border kick off at 7pm or later

funny how tsn had no "scheduling" issues picking 3 Impact games on Saturday's to be in the evening

Could that be to a lack of Expos coverage?

And obviously Poker and Curling and Horse Jumping are still things that may be uncool to us but make them money.

Carts
02-07-2013, 02:32 PM
I have my popcorn and am having a great laugh at some of the posts right now... :lurk5:

Yagbod
02-07-2013, 02:38 PM
It is precisely because we are season ticket holders that this bothers me and others so much. We pay well in advance of knowing when the games are and then close to half of the games (7) are at very inconvenient times.

Imagine buying a ticket to the movies and having to wait 3-4 months to find out when it is being shown only to discover that it is in the morning.

I know we know this when we buy the seasons tickets, but it does not make it any more palatable when the rest of the league enjoys their games at a time that we would prefer. Plus the lip service of that survey about when we prefer the games to start. Let's be honest. This is all about TV and money and nothing else. They already have our money so we can go f**k ourselves as far as they are concerned.

Slightly different topic:

They consistantly use supporters to market their product and give us very little in return. The relocation to the south end was nice, but it really is in their best interest and not really a selfless gift to us. Other than kick off times, the one thing they could do to help us (and it would help with the kick off time) is provide storage for the flags and banners. They can't even do that.

One of my biggest beef's with the kick off times (beyond the dead atmosphere) is that I like to help Pete et al. to bring down the flags and banners. That takes time. When I have to travel over an hour to get there and have to be there an hour early to carry stuff down I don't get much time to enjoy the day with friends before the match. If they could just give us a bit of space at BMO that problem is solved.

Don't get me wrong, I love helping with the flags and banners. We have a great group of guys and I consider it a privilege to help bring the visible displays to BMO. It just irks me that they cannot help with storage and then also schedule games at such early hours. And that is why I get pissed off about the start times. (well that and the shitty atmosphere at those games)

Ok, slightly tangental rant over.

Greatest Ripoff
02-07-2013, 03:51 PM
what the f*** is the point of having a season ending survey asking fans what time they want kickoff at if they aren't going to even put any games at night on Saturday's.

Where are the results of this survey? If you look at a pole that was on the score, 60% of the responses said they didn't want night games for TFC. Maybe most people don't want night games.

Greatest Ripoff
02-07-2013, 03:55 PM
It truly is #firstworldproblems if we're complaining passionately about the start times of our football club that we have season tickets too... LOL

thank you. People need a little perspective.

Yagbod
02-07-2013, 04:02 PM
No offense to any of you, but this 'first world problems' argument is a tad silly. Are you suggesting that no one should suggest that things could be better about something unless it is of dire consequence to the survival of the world?

Sometimes people care about the silly stuff and have suggestions on how it could easily be better. Reminding them of the poor 'third world' really lacks imagination.

OgtheDim
02-07-2013, 04:48 PM
I would consider a first world problem being not being able to get free soya anymore at Starbucks with your gold members card, or when you are using the Iphone app.

Roaming kick off times are more an inconvenience then a problem.

ensco
02-07-2013, 05:30 PM
I think they surveyed the fans and are giving them exactly what they want. I am using a broad (and not widely accepted in these parts) definition of "fan" as inclusive of suits and families. Those groups always have and always will dwarf supporters, in terms of dollars spent on TFC tickets.

Suits have other things to do on Saturday nights. Families want daylight games.

Supporters will grumble but will be there whatever time the game is put on. You know it and they know it.

As for all the US games on Saturday evenings, some of those cities are in warmer climates, so they can't play in the day. I would also point out that most of MLS have to be way more aware than TFC is of MLB, which has a preponderance of Saturday afternoon games.

I don't see the point in getting upset.

Yagbod
02-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Prizby might be upset. I just like to argue the points. And to be clear: I am not calling for evening games, just not 1-2pm starts. 4pm would be perfect in my eyes and should avoid most conflicting programming.

prizby
02-07-2013, 08:14 PM
Where are the results of this survey? If you look at a pole that was on the score, 60% of the responses said they didn't want night games for TFC. Maybe most people don't want night games.

so 40% said yes to night games, I'm not saying they have to be all night games, why not have 40% of the games at night...not that difficult to figure out

JayMolly
02-07-2013, 08:27 PM
I think they surveyed the fans and are giving them exactly what they want. I am using a broad (and not widely accepted in these parts) definition of "fan" as inclusive of suits and families. Those groups always have and always will dwarf supporters, in terms of dollars spent on TFC tickets.

Suits have other things to do on Saturday nights. Families want daylight games.

Supporters will grumble but will be there whatever time the game is put on. You know it and they know it.

As for all the US games on Saturday evenings, some of those cities are in warmer climates, so they can't play in the day. I would also point out that most of MLS have to be way more aware than TFC is of MLB, which has a preponderance of Saturday afternoon games.

I don't see the point in getting upset.

You stole my thunder . . . . coudn't have said it any better. Can't wait for the season to start!

Kaz
02-13-2013, 10:47 PM
Does anyone know how many of these dates will be black out games on MLS Live? I don't subscribe to cable.. but I can't see paying for a service if I'm just going to end up at a Bar or BMO anyway.

Yohan
02-13-2013, 10:57 PM
Does anyone know how many of these dates will be black out games on MLS Live? I don't subscribe to cable.. but I can't see paying for a service if I'm just going to end up at a Bar or BMO anyway.
generally any nationally televised games. so yeah, regular TSN games

Alonso
02-13-2013, 11:05 PM

The site is great for watching the rest of MLS though... seriously good HD quality with a high speed internet connection. And also all games are archived and blacked out ones are available 48 hours after airing so it's good for watching games that way to...

Also they stream to the iPhone and Android phone, not sure if they are subject to blackout at all?

Anyone else know?

jloome
02-14-2013, 12:09 AM

They're also claiming most blacked-out games will be available on archive as soon as the live run finishes, so if people do face a blackout, they can at least watch it immediately on conclusion.

Kayaker
02-14-2013, 09:04 AM
They're also claiming most blacked-out games will be available on archive as soon as the live run finishes, so if people do face a blackout, they can at least watch it immediately on conclusion.

I don't know if they changed it from last year, but locally televised games are blacked out for 24 hours after the game, and nationally televised games are blacked out for 48 hours. I don't know if the secondary channels (TSN2, Sportsnet one) are going to be classified as local or not (I had no problems watching GOLTV games, but this year is all TSN/Sportsnet).

prizby
02-14-2013, 09:21 AM

It is suppose to be anything not considered "nationally televised" which would mean the 10 games that are part of the MLS package deal (+2 road games in vancouver and montreal)...the games sold seperately by tfc wouldn't be considered part of the national package but you never know how it works (last year there were some tsn games that were live on mls...i remember tsn delaying their broadcast due to overrun of cfl and picking up the american broadcast on mls live)

so by my count, 22 of the 34 games should be available on mls live; you'll get the american broadcast most often

Auzzy
02-14-2013, 10:45 AM
Just to mention, last year I was able to watch the Sportsnet games live on MLS Live. Not the TSN games. I can't remember about the TSN 2 games.

GOL TV games were of course also live on MLS Live. That's why I always liked GOL TV, because I don't have cable or satellite anyway. :D

Kaz
02-14-2013, 11:16 AM
The site is saying 24 for local 48 for national.

I won't get it right off, but I may look at it come April. Apparently you can get it monthly... at 14.99 which is a bit much.. but between April and September only 3 or 4 games are a concern so maybe.

Thanks All.