PDA

View Full Version : Toronto 'Til I Die?

kodiakTFC
02-04-2013, 05:14 PM
I saw this post on BigSoccer and thought it would make a great off-season discussion topic over here. How many of you would say Toronto FC has become your true #1 team? It's an interesting question for footie loving Torontonians because beyond the traditional North American sports we have our pre-TFC footie allegiances abroad. After much thought I think TFC has ascended about Liverpool, Blue Jays and Leafs for my 'passion'. I didn't think I would care about another team more than Liverpool but after 6 seasons of going to the pitch every other weekend, TFC has kind of reluctantly grasped me.

For the purposes of this thread, forget national sides.

reggie
02-04-2013, 05:19 PM
TFC...is the only team i support in this city.i have not spent a penny on any other team in toronto in about 12 yrs,and i will not.

mowe
02-04-2013, 05:31 PM
I'm equally fanatical about TFC and the Raptors. Nothing else comes close. I could never support a team that doesn't represent my city.

bigredone
02-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Cause of Death: TFC. Anxiety, high blood pressure and liver failure.

TFC07
02-04-2013, 06:49 PM
TFC is my number one team simply because soccer is my favourite sport, but Toronto Raptors are close second though. Maple Leafs? I lost a lot of pride of being a Leafs fan due to losing and type of hockey style they like to play.

ManUtd4ever
02-04-2013, 07:06 PM
In my case, I would say I love the Leafs and TFC equally, the Jays are a close second, followed by the Raps and the Argos.

Abou Sky
02-04-2013, 07:40 PM
I am still new to Soccer so TFC easily my fave team.

I think my TFC fanaticism has surpassed my Star Trek fanaticism though, and that is saying a lot.

DangerRed
02-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Have been to Leaf and Raptor games, for free, luckily, but have never understood the excitement. As far as Toronto teams go, TFC is definitely the tops.

My absolute top team will always be Chelsea FC, just as football will always be my top game.

[NBF]
02-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Like the Herpes, I hate that the girl that I fell in love with gave them to me but its a constant reminder of a foolish love and possibly a weapon against those that break your heart afterwards. There's a joke there, a smarter man will make a good one.

TFC/Everton
02-04-2013, 08:24 PM
Toronto FC is my #1. Hands down.

Derko
02-04-2013, 08:31 PM
TFC is #1

bigredone
02-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Canadian National Teams are always my favourite to follow. TFC is the greatest club in my heart and I know they will be the first Canadian club to....(you finish the sentance). They have done damage and have displayed hunger for victories even when shit was not handled well. The money and more importantly support is strong at the core. Our time will come.

tfcleeds
02-04-2013, 10:04 PM
TFC. #1 Toronto team? Yes. #1 overall team? No.

Cuppy
02-05-2013, 01:13 AM
Growing up with the leafs my whole life I never thought I could focus my attention to anything else. Hate to admit it but I hated soccer growing up and never could understand the passion one could have for the sport. TFC came along and gave me the kick in the bag that I would deserve and I have never been the same since. Leafs have been placed easily on my back burner and I'm not afraid to admit it.
RED TILL IM DEAD

West220Side
02-05-2013, 01:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1wKPLCWApQ

This ^ and throw in your city? Done.

__wowza
02-05-2013, 10:21 AM
TFC is number one for me. i've always wanted a home side and now i have it.
spurs and bruins are tied for second.

eustacchio
02-05-2013, 10:42 AM
I think my signature says it all.

TFC_Allez
02-05-2013, 11:03 AM
I know I am, I'm sure I am...Toronto 'til I die.

As a kid, I grew up watching and loving Juventus. Since 2007, that's faded to the point where I can barely name half of their starting XI.
TFC is most definitely my #1 team across all sports. The Buffalo Sabres are a close second. You can blame my parents for that one... :hide:

Not sure what it is about this team/franchise, but I love them...no matter how much they've hurt us fans. Call it unrequited love lol

Detroit_TFC
02-05-2013, 11:05 AM
In world football 7 years is a blip but I'm not worried about the grand scheme. I've had plenty of justifications to turn away, including simple geography. But I just couldn't even imagine how that life would be like, even after just 7 years. I have several teams that I live or die by, which makes my life complicated. TFC is one of them.

OgtheDim
02-05-2013, 11:06 AM
TFC, Barrow AFC, Liverpool...in that order.

Home, Heritage, Youth.

PopePouri
02-05-2013, 11:19 AM
TFC, SA cricket team, Leed United in that order.

Walms
02-05-2013, 03:35 PM
TFC is my hometown club, and I will always support my hometown above any other club/country in the world. I'm at BMO :drum: and I have shaird good times, bad times and spilt blood(beer) with the supporters and the team, TFC will alwaqys be #1 in my heart

...that being said, I do really enjoy watching my German Soccer and Cheering on Die Roten from time to time ;-)

Joe Kool
02-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Toronto FC is the only team I follow all year round and the only team that would really bother me if I ever missed a game and I haven't missed any since day 1. No other team has had that effect on me. I guess it is a combination of my home town getting a big club team in my favourite sport. I am hooked. Imagine if we won anything more than the V-Cup...

Oldtimer
02-05-2013, 03:49 PM
I watched the Jays back in the day, but TFC currently is my only Toronto club, and the only team in any sport that I actually support.

I have other footy clubs in Europe that I follow but I can't consider myself a real supporter of them. I wouldn't fly to Europe specifically to see them, although I might take in a game if I was there for other reasons.

In hockey I'm a lifetime Habs fan, like my folks, but hockey is way below soccer for me.

In international football, Canada always comes first.

tfcmanu
02-05-2013, 04:31 PM
In Order:

1. TFC
2. Leafs
3. Jays
4. Raptors
5. ROCK
6. ARGOS

Other Teams:

1. MANU
2. DOLPHINS
3. OILERS
4. SL BENFICA

redcard
02-05-2013, 04:46 PM
For me:

1. TFC
2. Canadiens

and for nation sides

1. CMNT

Yohan
02-05-2013, 04:50 PM
1. TFC
2. Canada MNT
3. South Korea MNT
4. West Ham
5. Other MLS teams
6. Other Toronto sports teams

Red4ever
02-05-2013, 05:02 PM
Internationally Canada comes first. I know they said leave it out but it has to be said. How a club could ever come before a country, I'll never understand.

Arsenal and Packers games have given me more to cheer about. I suspect if TFC ever does, they could move up the list in a hurry.

dutch
02-05-2013, 05:37 PM
I thought I was a liverpool fan more than anything, even TFC. so I went to the liverpool vs TFC game and when I saw all those people in liverpool jerseys standin around downtown. somthing struck a chord in me, I hated them suddenly and powerfully. this is where I was raised..my city, this is my club. I hope we stomp anybody anything from that day forward.

trane
02-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Milan, Milan, sempre con te. It will never change. I love Milan, I love Milano. I am a Milanista. I support TFC, I love Toronto, but MLSE has soured the love.

prizby
02-05-2013, 06:05 PM
1. TFC
2. #CanMNT
3. St. Kilda (Australian Rules Football)
4. #CanWNT
5. Borussia Dortmund
6. Polish National Team
7. Canadian Basketball (college hoops/young and up & coming)
8. Irish National Team (fans) (after being at Ireland-Italy game this past summer, how could you not fall in love with that)
9. Whatever team Calipari is coaching (Kentucky basketball)

Hate/Despise:
1. Montreal Impact
2. Columbus Crew
3. Honduras National Team
4. Vancouver Whitecaps
5. #USWNT
6. #USMNT
7. Collingwood (Australian Rules)
8. Manchester United
9. Sydney (Australian Rules)
10. Real Madrid
11. Fremantle (Australian Rules)
12. Liverpool
13. Essendon (Australian Rules)
14. Duke (basketball)

I am sure I have missed some here

backbeat
02-05-2013, 06:26 PM
I remember watching Toronto Metros/Metro-Crotia at Varsity and loved it - one of the best stadiums to watch football - they moved to the CNE cement pitch and i stopped following them.

TFC is my # 1 team and football/soccer is my passion - i follow certain football/soccer teams in Europe but more out of interest than passion. i do love EPL matches...i keep an eye on the Leafs, jays and Argos but am neither here nor there as to how they're doing....

denMAR
02-05-2013, 06:28 PM
I immigrated with my family to Toronto when I was 3 years old and have been living here ever since.

It's for sure my number one club even though I'm very passionate about some clubs from where my family is from.

jiforio
02-05-2013, 06:55 PM
Live and breathe TFC, I've got to the point where I rarely watch any other league or sport...absolutely sucks putting all my eggs in a basket that is rotten to the core. But I mean, we got to get better....eventually...I hope.

Huyton
02-05-2013, 08:08 PM
I was born in Liverpool and my Dad took me to my first game when they were still in the 2nd Division. At one point, we lived about a mile from Anfield. I was somewhere in the crowd of a half million people that greeted the team when they won the FA Cup for the first time, and high on the list of great moments in my life was when I stood on the Kop and saw the European Cup there for the very first time.

I honestly never thought I'd feel the same way about any other team, but over the last few years this Toronto team of ours has wormed it's way in to my heart.

Possibly, it has something to do with going to games with my son.

Possibly it has something to do with being involved with the team, and how they come over and applaud the fans, how they appreciate me being there.

Possibly, the emotional connection between the players and supporters has a fertile ground to blossom when the supporters are a crowd: singing, chanting, swaying, but above all: passionate.

I used to enjoy going to see the Blizzard play (I was at the last NASL Soccer Bowl), and the Metros before them. I used to enjoy going to see the Jays play, and was in the 'dome the night they won the World Series for the first time (the game was in Atlanta).

Milltown FC did the same thing to me, although in their case, you got to look the players in the eye when they came off the field, and a loud, booming voice exhorting them on was appreciated by them, and again, the connection could blossom.

So for me? Local Football. In chronological order: Liverpool FC, Toronto FC, Milltown FC.

TFC Via Buffalo
02-05-2013, 08:33 PM
1.) New Orleans Saints
2.) Buffalo Sabres/Toronto FC
3.) Liverpool, North Carolina Basketball, Michigan Football, Juventus

Sorry, the Saints have been my team for over 20 years. I'll be buried in my Saints stuff, but I'll be wearing a TFC scarf. :)

AjayNI
02-06-2013, 08:53 AM
In Order:

1. Linfield
2. Glasgow Rangers
3. Northern Ireland
4. TFC
5. Man United
6. Jays
7. Raps
8. Leafs

dupont
02-06-2013, 09:39 AM
TFC is my favorite team by far. Second is a tie between Newcastle United and the Leafs

BS1327
02-06-2013, 10:18 AM
I grew up in a baseball family before branching out to footy culture on my own. So there's a soft spot in there for the Jays. Although, as mentioned, the Canadian National Team (of any sport) takes top spot when playing. Country first.

1. Jays
2. TFC
3. Bayern Munich
4. Leafs
5. Steelers

Not a huge fan of EPL/Liga, the Bundesliga grew on me after I started following the Germans/Bayern in 2004.

Initial B
02-06-2013, 11:03 AM
My Top 5:

1. TFC
2. Raptors
3. Schalke 04
4. Dallas Cowboys
5. CAN-WNT

And count me on the Jays bandwagon this year.

akoto
02-07-2013, 12:07 PM
Pre TFC I was an Arsenal supporter, but since they announced the team TFC has become my main club. I still follow and love Arsenal and always will but if the CWC came down to TFC vs Arsenal I without a single doubt would be cheering for Toronto.

sdcfan18
02-07-2013, 12:33 PM
1. San Diego Chargers
2. TFC
3. Arsenal
4. Leafs
5. Jays

liv4evr
02-07-2013, 12:53 PM
1.Leicester City FC
2.Toronto FC
3.Leafs
4.Jays
5.Buffalo Bills

Brooker
02-07-2013, 04:21 PM
1. Leafs
2. TFC (Very close)
3. Blue Jays
4. Stoke
5. Raps

ensco
02-07-2013, 04:27 PM
1. Leafs
2. TFC (Very close)
3. Raps

It's why I have a lot of bitterness towards MLSE. Jays could get back in the mix, but only if they ever do something.

Stress
02-07-2013, 04:48 PM
1. Scotland National Team - I'll never forget seeing my Dad cry during the national anthem of their opening game of the 1998 WC
2. TFC - I'll never forget crying when Dunfield got that winning header (jk)
3. Glasgow Rangers - would have been higher but this D3 stuff is taking it's toll on me
4. CMNT - climbing the list but the Honduras game set them back a bit
5. Blackhaws/Bucaneers

Justin10000
02-08-2013, 11:48 AM
1. Arsenal
2. TFC
3. Canada
4. Blue Jays

Arsenal will always be my first love, nothing will change that.

Dreadlocks
02-08-2013, 12:15 PM
1. Any Toronto team with TFC being the priority
2. Arsenal
3. AC Milan
4. Real Madrid
5. Florida State University (NCAA Football)
5a. Miami Dolphins
6. Seton Hall (NCAA Basketball)
6a. St John's University (NCAA basketball)

**Note - Any Canadian national team, regardless of sport, falls in behind any Toronto team.

Gilberto9
02-08-2013, 12:56 PM
1. Manchester City
2. Nashville Predators
3. Toronto FC

Yagbod
02-08-2013, 02:00 PM
1. TFC/CMNT
2. Liverpool
3. Toronto Rock
4. Maple Laffs
5. Real Madrid (lived there for awhile and it's where I learned to love Footy)

liv4evr
02-08-2013, 11:15 PM
1. Any Toronto team with TFC being the priority
2. Arsenal
3. AC Milan
4. Real Madrid
5. Florida State University (NCAA Football)
5a. Miami Dolphins
6. Seton Hall (NCAA Basketball)
6a. St John's University (NCAA basketball)

**Note - Any Canadian national team, regardless of sport, falls in behind any Toronto team.

Nice! Florida Sate! Not too many of us in these parts.

tfcocd
02-09-2013, 12:46 AM
TFC at the top since day 1. Still completely fascinated with premier league and English football leagues in general and have a club I follow over there. But if TFC faced them in some very unlikely matchup i would cheer for the reds.

barticusz
02-09-2013, 12:55 AM
Never would I have thought that TFC would surpass hockey for me but it sure has. I've grown to not care nearly as much for hockey over the last 6 years.

1. TFC
2. Poland/Canada NT
3. Borussia Dortmund
4. Leafs

ryan
02-09-2013, 09:56 AM
1. San Jose Sharks
2. CMNT
3. TFC
4. Hamilton Tiger Cats
5. New England Patriots
6. Toronto Blue Jays
7. Norwich City

Being Canadian, hockey always comes first to me and SJ has been my team for 20 years now (fuck I feel old).

Footie has found a nice foothold behind that, knocking out Handegg, which still is a big deal to me. I'm really a sports nut, I love all my clubs to death, just happen to be willing to go a little bit further for the ones at the top.

I travel to the US for the Gold Cup, or would (and will someday) travel to a World Cup for Canada.
I've been all over Ontario/Quebec/Northeast US, to see the Sharks play. California for a home game will happen soon too.

The other teams, I don't have that urge to commit on that level. Basically what decides how I ranked them.

kodiakTFC
02-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Never would I have thought that TFC would surpass hockey for me but it sure has. I've grown to not care nearly as much for hockey over the last 6 years.

1. TFC
2. Poland/Canada NT
3. Borussia Dortmund
4. Leafs

I'm in the same boat. I can't remember the last time I watched a full game. Now I just check the standings from time to time.

Canary_canuck
02-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Why Norwich , Ryan? They don't look like a fit with the rest of your list.
1. Norwich City
2. Manchester City
3. Wales ( especially Rugby )
4. All Canadian national teams.
5. England cricket.

bigredone
02-12-2013, 11:07 PM
1. Arsenal
2. TFC
3. Canada
4. Blue Jays

Arsenal will always be my first love, nothing will change that.

Did you hear RVP wrote a book on his memories from Arsenal?

Sadly, though, it had no title.