PDA

View Full Version : Most painful TFC player loss

jloome
02-02-2013, 01:29 PM
As we wile away the days waiting for the darn season to start, I thought I'd get people's opinions on the player loss that hurt the most over the first six seasons.

For me, it's Sam Cronin. I'm sitting watching him absolutely control the midfield, spray passes accurately all over the field against Colorado in pre-season. And he was great last year, sort of a lower-rent version of Ozzie Alonso, less physical but better ball delivery.

Todd Dunivant comes to mind, too.

ensco
02-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Marvell Wynne. Could have played his whole career here.

Gazza
02-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Kevin Harmse.

Soccerpro
02-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Amado Guevara hands down. He had buckets of skill. He and Dero were the two best players TFC has ever had.

jloome
02-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Marvell Wynne. Could have played his whole career here.

Colorado has moved him back to fullback this year.

OgtheDim
02-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Any player in the great chain of being that could have stopped Mo from coming to North America.

Sweeper
02-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Sam Cronin, or wait Maurice Edu, no wait Edson Buddle, .....ok Dero.......crap I can't decide.

flamehawk
02-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Anyone remember Alecko Eskadarian? I am surprised to read on wikipedia that he only played six games with us.

In terms of most painful TFC player loss, probably Amado Guevera and Dero. Also sad now to see Plata go .. but his loss will probably be much less of an impact compared to the previous two.

Cashcleaner
02-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Amado Guevara hands down. He had buckets of skill. He and Dero were the two best players TFC has ever had.

For me it's DeRo hands-down, but Guevara comes in second. We really could have used that guy, but.... well, we all know how Preki felt about him.

Flipityflu
02-02-2013, 04:23 PM
i was sad to see Carl Robinson go.

redcard
02-02-2013, 04:33 PM
De Ro and Robinson

Ajax TFC
02-02-2013, 04:46 PM
For me personally, it's Avila. I absolutely loved his style, vision, and passing ability. Unfortunately he was forced out to the wing last season and then replaced by the best finisher in the modern Era because he didn't show Mariner enough "effort". The thing that hurts the most about this is that he was let go for free because Mariner didn't want to offer him the 125k that he was definitely worth. If he was offered that and declined it, we wouldn't have lost his rights in the re-entry draft, and we could have at least gotten a useful asset for him

Yohan
02-02-2013, 05:00 PM
The guy who had best career since moving on from TFC is Todd Dunivant by far. DeRo may have better personal stats, but overall Dunivant went on to win trophies and be a starter on a good LA team.

Emotionally, I miss Nick Soolsma. Best winger to ever play for TFC, plus he was young. Enough to stay with the team for 5 yrs

prizby
02-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Andy Welsh

how about Stefan Vukovic or Kevan Aleman?

james
02-02-2013, 05:26 PM
There is quite a few players TFC just let go.

Dero, he scored more goals then any player we ever had and one of the highest goal scorers in MLS and yet TFC seemed to never aprieciate him.

Marvel Wynne was fast and hard worker, yet Toronto didn't seem to really want him any mor.

Dichio, not that he was amazing, he mainly was just an average player but who worked his ass off and became a hero to many fans. He should of had a propper retirement not just told 1 day by MLSE sorry we need you to retire today because we need a new player to take your spot. Was just sort of a bad way to end it.

I could go on abut other players we let go over the years but just makes me mad thinking about it.

Ajax TFC
02-02-2013, 05:48 PM
The interesting thing about Marvell Wynne is that we never completely lost that asset.
Wynne -> LaBrocca -> Gordon -> Johnson -> Bekker. Even though there were other assets moved in most of those trades, the main asset stays relatively equal.

rocktml
02-03-2013, 10:20 AM
DERO hands down

Nuvinho
02-03-2013, 10:41 AM
DeRo, Amado, and Sam Cronin

TFC Via Buffalo
02-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Andrea Lombardo.

Seriously, Cronin was painful because you knew he was good and felt like he was being pushed out for no other reason then an over crowded midfield at the time. It hurts more seeing that he is playing so well.

PopePouri
02-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Stefan Vukovic

Where is he these days?

Wull
02-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Cronin and Robbo

bigredone
02-03-2013, 12:12 PM
It was at the near peak of our "worst team in the world" run that Soolsma was outed. That was an insult to an injury.

To wish the TFC dynamics of the time on any player we liked would have seemed cruel though.

starter
02-03-2013, 12:22 PM
While others better realized their value elsewhere, I miss Soolsma and Tchani on this team.

Derko
02-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Nick Soolsma, Carl Robinson, Amado Guevara

jloome
02-03-2013, 01:05 PM
While others better realized their value elsewhere, I miss Soolsma and Tchani on this team.

Not sure about Tchani but Soolsma was a good winger. Really good, broad skill set and smart, too. He's starting at Excelsior in the dutch second division now.

jloome
02-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Where is he these days?

That was a Rongen decision, and still not one that sits well. I guess the Impact felt the same, but I get leery any time a pro coach writes off a young player who has scored in bunches everywhere he's gone. The same was true in our first season of Hunter West, who scored five goals in pre-season in our first year, and yet didn't make the team, and as far as I can tell gave it up and went into coaching.

Mark in Ottawa
02-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Cronin, Robinson, Guevera because all were decent enough players and individuals who would have preferred to stay with TFC when forced out.

pekduck
02-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Cronin, Guevera, Soolsma, in no particular order

KRO
02-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Cronin, Robinson, Guevara, Soolsma. DeRo is good player but was more trouble than he was worth. I was glad to see him go.

sidvan
02-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Cronin and Robbo
ditto

dutch
02-03-2013, 06:37 PM
its funny people remember where they were and what they were doing when important news happens, well i remember what I was doing when I found out maurice edu got snatched up by rangers. I hated TFC and MLS for a month. I thought, whats the point? I had to talk it over with myself lmao he was potential leaving US, same as marvell wynne but just knowing someone like rangers wanted him, made it more devastating. when DeRo left. well im still dealing with that lol he was a hometown guy, packed with explosive talent, that guy wanted to retire here and he left it all on the field everytime, impressive. TFC has made a history in a short period of time of giving big cheques to those who dont deserve it and turning away those who do. OH! and I miss that 1.7 million we gave deGuzman, imagine what we could have got with that kind of money

TFC07
02-03-2013, 06:38 PM
DeRo! There hasn't been a player who can carry a team like DeRo has for us for a long period of time. Also emotionally, I miss Kocic because his passion and love for the badge which is going to be hard to replace.

nfitz
02-03-2013, 06:41 PM
DeRo is good player but was more trouble than he was worth.If that were true about a player, normally it's a pattern, and similar stuff would have been observed elsewhere. But I've never seen that said about him elsewhere.

My suspicion is that it was Mo Johnson who was more more trouble than he was worth, having made promises that he could not keep.

Yohan
02-03-2013, 06:57 PM
If that were true about a player, normally it's a pattern, and similar stuff would have been observed elsewhere. But I've never seen that said about him elsewhere.

Hans Backe would beg to disagree. Though it's just Backe having problems with DeRo

boomcha
02-03-2013, 10:00 PM
The one the only! DeRo.

Jeffro
02-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Ronnie Obrien to injury season 1.

bones
02-03-2013, 11:58 PM
Koev hey, he hasn't played since the injury :(

prizby
02-04-2013, 12:27 AM
Where is he these days?

hasn't signed anywhere yet; going to assume with the u20 Canadian team this month

JavierMartini
02-04-2013, 12:52 AM
Pablo Vitti, young player who is absolutely tearing up south America at the moment.

sashavukelich
02-04-2013, 07:09 AM
if not DeRo. I'd say our biggest losses have been Guevara or Cronin.

denime
02-04-2013, 07:30 AM
how about Stefan Vukovic

Where is he these days?

Montreal Impact U-23 program

__wowza
02-04-2013, 08:35 AM
last couple of years: soolsma.
i was the one of the few who rated him highly when everyone was on their plata high.

before that: robbo.
you gotta respect a man who doesn't celebrate after he scores on his former team in a thrashing.

Oldtimer
02-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Amado was the one I missed the most. His smile, his style, his goals, even the way he would wave to his wife in the stands when he'd beat the 'keeper on a Free kick.

Globetrotter
02-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Koevermans

Really too bad he was injured, and that he might not be back with us.

One of THE best natural goal scorers this league has ever seen.

prizby
02-04-2013, 09:56 AM
Montreal Impact U-23 program

I don't think so: http://academieimpactmontreal.com/en/academy/teams/u21/

Walms
02-04-2013, 09:58 AM
I have to cast my vote for Dero

Thomas
02-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Koevermans/Soolsma

Super
02-04-2013, 10:44 AM
DeRo!

ua-kozak_TFC
02-04-2013, 10:54 AM
collin samuels... hahahah (i am just trying to be funny because some of the responses here are ridiculous)
I think some people have been a little angry at Dero for the whole contract thing, during the time he was traded, but i think that trade really stung me... and we got nothing for it! for a midfielder he had near 50 % goal scoring ratio which is huge! I think Dero loss has to be up there.

TFC_Allez
02-04-2013, 11:27 AM
DeRo, Guevara, Robo, Cronin, Edu, Wynne...etc. Too many to list, but DeRo hurt the most. Still miss the guy. Say what you will about his attitude in the dressing room or his little cheque signing stunt, but his on field abilities were the best we've ever had.

CommradePolski
02-04-2013, 12:07 PM
<---------------- THIS GUY!!!!

Ahahahah I kid. Mista was shit.

I was sad to see Ricketts and Wynne let go. Both had great speed but lacking some ball handling, but I feel both of those couldve been solid players for us in the long run.

Yohan
02-04-2013, 12:09 PM
<---------------- THIS GUY!!!!

Ahahahah I kid. Mista was shit.

I was sad to see Ricketts and Wynne let go. Both had great speed but lacking some ball handling, but I feel both of those couldve been solid players for us in the long run.
Ricketts had decent ball skills. Not enough speed. His career went on a downward spiral after TFC. (Indian I-League, srsly?)

jloome
02-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Ricketts had decent ball skills. Not enough speed. His career went on a downward spiral after TFC. (Indian I-League, srsly?)

LOL, we were part of the downward spiral. The guy started 22 games in the premier league under Glenn Hoddle. New manager, too much Rohan character, and that was it. He just goofed off too much.

SuperTCP
02-04-2013, 03:54 PM
DERO - experience, skill, scored goals, home town boy, and sold jerseys and seats for TFC (I have a large TFC memorabilia collection, and when kids came over they always asked to see the DERO autographed stuff). Traded for what? garbage. Worst trade ever.

Belfast_Boy
02-04-2013, 10:10 PM
Hands down Dero. Henry said he's the best. The MVP and runner ups a few times has to be our biggest loss.

Phil
02-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Dero for me. Great player and the heart of the MLS.

denime
02-04-2013, 11:00 PM
I don't think so: http://academieimpactmontreal.com/en/academy/teams/u21/
You are right he is not on U21 team,however I wrote U23.

Canadian U-20s lose one, draw one in Mexico (http://the11.ca/2012/07/08/canadian-u-20s-earn-lose-one-draw-one-in-mexico/)

Real Valladolid’s Keven Aleman slotted home a second-half penalty kick to give against El Tri’s youth team on Sunday. Jesus Manuel Corona, a product of defending two-time CONCACAF Champions League holders Monterrey, scored the opening goal in the first half.
The win comes after Mexico beat Canada 3-0 on Friday, even though Stefan Vukovic, of the Montreal Impact U-23 program (http://the11.ca/2012/07/08/canadian-u-20s-earn-lose-one-draw-one-in-mexico/#), had a golden chance to score off a feed from FC Edmonton’s Dino Gardner.

Aleman, Vukovic and Gardner are all former TFC Academy prospects.:facepalm:

Brooker
02-05-2013, 12:10 AM
Tebily could have been useful if not for bad luck.

Regardless of whether it was right or wrong, losing Dichio and Guevara really hurt. In both cases I lost a lot of excitement on game days.

I wish Robert was given longer.

prizby
02-05-2013, 12:33 AM
You are right he is not on U21 team,however I wrote U23.

Canadian U-20s lose one, draw one in Mexico (http://the11.ca/2012/07/08/canadian-u-20s-earn-lose-one-draw-one-in-mexico/)

that was from last summer...montreal doesn't have a u23 team...must be a typo

http://www.fcedmonton.com/news/2012-11-20/Canada m20 Off to USA, Costa Rica

F- Stefan Vukovic | Unattached / sans club

MKR
02-05-2013, 11:35 AM
it surprises me how many times Carl Robinson has been mentioned given how much 90% here like to whip on Dunfield when they have performed pretty much the same.

My pick is Dero 100%. Obivously he needs to have his ego kept in check, but he is hands down the player loss that hurt the most. Dichio for how he left is my second choice.

jabbronies
02-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Dero, Guevara, Dichio, Cronin, Robinson and in retrospect Dunivant.

MKR
02-05-2013, 11:56 AM
i'll give carl the edge for his tackling and pressing, but they were pretty even otherwise. It's just amusing/annoying that one is praised and one is completely villified.

jloome
02-05-2013, 12:02 PM
i'll give carl the edge for his tackling and pressing, but they were pretty even otherwise. It's just amusing/annoying that one is praised and one is completely villified.

Not surprising though and quite accurate. Robbo was a 'just made the grade' two-way midfielder, with a good work rate, much better marking than Dunivant. Robbo's problem was his speed and his inconsistency passing.

Dunivant's problems are his lack of range, his inconsistency passing, his speed, his vision. About the only thing he does reasonably well is tackle, and he's rarely in the right place to do it. He's vilified as a player, not a person. He seems like a very nice man. But he covers a tiny area of the pitch, he always takes the safe route, he never moves into overlap space even when it makes sense. He has a good work rate .... within a 15-foot radius.

Robbo started at Wolves and Norwich and was a team captain; Dunivant was cut from Bury. There are a reasons for these things and it's not always "he just had the wrong coach." One is a passable player, the other isn't.

Hitcho
02-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Loss to the team - Cronin, De Ro, Amado

Emotionally - Dichio (because of the lies), Robbo (season 1 hero traded to the shite bulls and we paid his wages), Sutton (gutted when I heard that)

EDIT - good thread Jezza! :D

billyfly
02-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Pain TFC Loss

Those are the words that stand out in this thread title.

ManUtd4ever
02-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Based on all relevant factors including age, potential impact, return on investment, and of course, hindsight, I would have to say Sam Cronin.

Preki gave Cronin away for virtually nothing when had his entire career ahead of him, and he has developed into one of the most effective midfield generals in the league.

burlington Red
02-05-2013, 02:53 PM
it surprises me how many times Carl Robinson has been mentioned given how much 90% here like to whip on Dunfield when they have performed pretty much the same.

My pick is Dero 100%. Obivously he needs to have his ego kept in check, but he is hands down the player loss that hurt the most. Dichio for how he left is my second choice.

what surprises you about Robbo and Dunfield. One player was a very good MLS player and the other is not, pretty simple really.

Robbo was not a flashy player and maybe that is why you under-rate him, but it terms of organising, leadership and influence his input was huge, plus he was a decent footballer as well. Although Dunfield runs around a lot looking busy, he makes the wrong choices a lot more than say Robbo. The reason he runs around a lot is he compensating somewhat for his lack of ability. When You watch good defensive midfielders like Robbo, they know when to make that run, when to play that pass, Dunfield doesn't hence the fact he is always running but not really getting anywhere. There is a reason Dunfield doesn't have many caps for his country and Robbo does.

nfitz
02-05-2013, 03:20 PM
what surprises you about Robbo and Dunfield. One player was a very good MLS player and the other is not, pretty simple really.Dunfield not a good player? Really? Seems a fine, basic MLS-type midfield to me. Sure, not EPL quality ... but no one expects that.

There is a reason Dunfield doesn't have many caps for his country and Robbo does.I haven't run the numbers, but I bet you Dunfield has had more caps for his country during his 3 years in MLS, than Carl Robinson had in 5 years in MLS!

Sure, Carl Robinson was a good player - and probably better than Dunfield at his peak. But by the time he left TFC, he was past his peak. He should have retired after 2010, instead of trying to play 2 more seasons, where he only had 13 starts. He wasn't our most painful loss!

spark
02-05-2013, 04:21 PM
^
Yeah I agree - IMO Dunfield is alot better than many of the midfielders we've had over the years.

His dip in career had more to do with his attitude than ability (coupled with severe injury). You aren't the captain of Man City reserves and on the brink of an England call-up if you are a complete scrub.

Ability aside- his presence/influence I believe is important to remind the younger players that no matter when they think they've made it, no matter how good they think they are - it can all be taken away.

trane
02-05-2013, 05:44 PM
As we wile away the days waiting for the darn season to start, I thought I'd get people's opinions on the player loss that hurt the most over the first six seasons.

For me, it's Sam Cronin. I'm sitting watching him absolutely control the midfield, spray passes accurately all over the field against Colorado in pre-season. And he was great last year, sort of a lower-rent version of Ozzie Alonso, less physical but better ball delivery.

Todd Dunivant comes to mind, too.

That is a move that puzzled me, Preki was going to go to a more defensive system, and then he gets rid of a very, very young solid CDM type, who is also versatile. Again it may be the relative lack of physicality. But I always liked Cronin as a player. Attakora, I kind of understand what happend, but for a while I trully felt he would become a very good CB. I quess "good CB" and TFC are just not ment to be together.

Yohan
02-05-2013, 06:18 PM
That is a move that puzzled me, Preki was going to go to a more defensive system, and then he gets rid of a very, very young solid CDM type, who is also versatile. Again it may be the relative lack of physicality. But I always liked Cronin as a player. Attakora, I kind of understand what happend, but for a while I trully felt he would become a very good CB. I quess "good CB" and TFC are just not ment to be together.
Tyrone Marshall was an established MLS CB. Olivier Tebily was good for the 5-6 games he played for TFC. Serioux was good before his injury killed his career. But yeah. Very sad about list of CBs that played for TFC, very few are considered 'good'. Though we will see about O'Dea and Califf.

trane
02-05-2013, 07:47 PM
^ Tyrone Marshall, Olivier Tebily and Serioux are the three that come to mind as well. Cann for a while. But CB in general has been a problem from day one, we never had a two decent ones at the same time, or at least not for long. Cann/Attakora was a good pairing for a while, and if my memory does not fail me Marshall and Brennan played together well for a while.

I think Henry will be good as well.

burlington Red
02-05-2013, 10:55 PM
:drum:
Dunfield not a good player? Really? Seems a fine, basic MLS-type midfield to me. Sure, not EPL quality ... but no one expects that.

I haven't run the numbers, but I bet you Dunfield has had more caps for his country during his 3 years in MLS, than Carl Robinson had in 5 years in MLS!

Sure, Carl Robinson was a good player - and probably better than Dunfield at his peak. But by the time he left TFC, he was past his peak. He should have retired after 2010, instead of trying to play 2 more seasons, where he only had 13 starts. He wasn't our most painful loss!

First off, neither player was EPL quality. Robbo enjoyed his success at Championship level, he was a very good player at that level as well as MLS. You seem surprised that I don't rate Dunfield yet go on to say he is a basic MLS type midfielder. You're hardly giving him a ringing endorsement with that description. Personally I think he is a step below basic, and I don't think he will play much if at all this season. Robbo probably left us a season too early, there was a lot of talk at one point about him dropping back to play centre back, and he could have been that type of defender we have been crying out for yrs. Also the fact he moved into coaching so effortlessly with both NY and Vancouver we lost that chance to promote from within.

UltraSuperMegaMo
02-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Hey, I don't post much anymore. I'm too busy with things, but I still lurk for news and rumours.

They all hurt for me, cause I believe in them all until they don't work out. I got excited when all of them come to the team. I googled them all. I read all of there wikipedia pages. And watched their youtube highlights. I still google some of them from time to time to see where they're playing or if they've retired. Loving TFC is all about being hurt.

jvanpeebles
02-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Dero, Serioux and Guevara

69Chevy396
02-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Dero, Serioux and Guevara

Robbinson Dero and Edu

lips
02-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Guevara

deacon
02-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Guevara
Cronin for sure.he was given away for nothing so TFC. Could sign Mista for 4 months. At this present time Cronin is better than both DeGuzman and Frings, and earns less than 5 percent of what those guys make. Soccer America rated him# 3 DM, behind Beckerman and Olonzo for 2012. He's still getting better.

ArmenJBX
02-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Jacob Peterson

jloome
02-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Jacob Peterson

You just couldn't help yourself, could you.g:D

DR HOLLIDAY
02-09-2013, 09:45 AM
I say Dero and then Wynne.........Both of them are still in the MLS and if they stayed with TFC our team would be a lot better off......The turn over of players is one of the reasons that TFC is the worst run franchise in the MLS.

Pinkie
02-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Laurent Robert