PDA

View Full Version : Joao Plata to RSL?

Damien
01-24-2013, 10:58 AM
http://www.futbolecuador.com/stories/publica/33444

Translated:

On Wednesday the situation of Joao Plata was unknown in our country, however, on Thursday cleared the picture of the player, who will continue his career in the MLS in the United States.

This Thursday morning, futbolecuador.com learned that Joao Plata's future remains in the MLS in the United States and although not on Toronto FC, on loan at another club.

The leadership of the Real Salt Lake, MLS also the U.S., has reached a tentative agreement with the Canadian Club, 1 year loan... yadda yadda (stupid google translator)

Yohan
01-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Apparently RSL GM is quoted "forward signing announcements by the end of the week"

ManUtd4ever
01-24-2013, 11:27 AM
How can TFC loan a player to a rival MLS club?

A trade is obviously a more likely scenario.

Jpexxx
01-24-2013, 11:29 AM

Has that never happened before?

Didn't TFC take on Hunter Freeman on loan once?

Canary10
01-24-2013, 11:32 AM

Why not?

It's pretty common in the EPL to loan a young player in a postion where you have tons of depth to a lower team to give them some playing time. Loaning a left winger makes perfect sense given.....we..... uh......have who again in that position?

spark
01-24-2013, 11:33 AM

It might have been on loan, but Freeman was leaving NA for Norway (IIRC) at the end of the season anyway.

arsenal
01-24-2013, 11:38 AM

LDS Quito get cut of transfer if I remember correctly .... maybe issue with transfer and split of transfer $ ?????

Damien
01-24-2013, 11:39 AM

Freeman was traded for a supplemental draft pick as he was leaving at seasons end anyway.
Essentially it turned into a Supplemental pick for an own goal...

Damien
01-24-2013, 11:59 AM
Update:
http://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/294485887251779584
Futbol Ecuador reporting Plata to #RSL (http://redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23RSL&src=hash) ... I'm told nothing has been approved by league. It's speculation. Plata not with #TFC (http://redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) right now.

mowe
01-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Good move. Frees up an international spot which we need more than a backup winger right now, especially with Lambe already on the roster. Hopefully Plata gets minutes at RSL.

We only play RSL once, it's possible there's an arrangement that he won't play against TFC.

[NBF]
01-24-2013, 12:31 PM

I think most teams outside the MLS/North America consider the transfer from Toronto to RSL to be sort of a loan since its a single entity league and there's no transfer of funds.

Jpexxx
01-24-2013, 12:35 PM
Freeman was traded for a supplemental draft pick as he was leaving at seasons end anyway.

Oh alright thanks.
I guess it just felt like a loan because he showed up for a few months and we already knew he was leaving for Europe.

oxygenatedbrain
01-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Oh alright thanks.
I guess it just felt like a loan because he showed up for a few months and we already knew he was leaving for Europe.
The strange part of the trade was that if Freeman returned to MLS before a certain date, TFC retained his rights, but after that date his rights returned to NYRB, which is how it turned out. They later traded his rights to Houston.

Damien
01-24-2013, 12:59 PM
http://twitter.com/SoccerByIves/status/294497100757102593
Real Salt Lake set to make a major announcement at 4pm ET today. Don Garber and the governor of Utah among the attendees.

It's Joao Plata!! :lol:

gdg_9
01-24-2013, 01:05 PM
"http://twitter.com/SoccerByIves/stat...97100757102593 (http://twitter.com/SoccerByIves/status/294497100757102593)
Real Salt Lake set to make a major announcement at 4pm ET today. Don Garber and the governor of Utah among the attendees."

@MLSTransfers is saying the announcement includes "New player, new stadium name, new kit sponsor".

Plata could be the Player part of that announcement.

Ultra & Proud
01-24-2013, 01:07 PM

If this big announcement is just for Plata then things must be really slow in sober town.

Canary10
01-24-2013, 01:09 PM
I'm not a fan of this move. If he goes, we have no (obvious) player who can play wide on the left. And we lose probably the only player we have at the moment who can run at defenders. Also a guy fans love, and who has had a pretty significant impact on the team in his first year. We'll be lucky if any of our draft picks this year do as well as he did in his first.

Yohan
01-24-2013, 01:10 PM
If this big announcement is just for Plata then things must be really slow in sober town.
apparently new sponsorship for RSL

Damien
01-24-2013, 01:31 PM
@MLSTransfers is saying the announcement includes "New player, new stadium name, new kit sponsor".
Plata could be the Player part of that announcement.

It's possible, but it would be weird to announce such big news with getting a player such as plata... especially just on loan.

moralis
01-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Joao Plata's argent Gustavo Lescovich confirms on his twitter page that he's going to Real Salt Lake:

Gustavo Lescovich ‏@guslescovich (https://twitter.com/guslescovich) @JoaoPlata10 (https://twitter.com/JoaoPlata10) muy cerca de Real Salt Lake, hoy se confirma.

https://twitter.com/guslescovich/status/294433605994823680

ryan
01-24-2013, 01:55 PM
good for the kid, deserves a fresh start in MLS.

flamehawk
01-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Joao Plata's argent Gustavo Lescovich confirms on his twitter page that he's going to Real Salt Lake:

Gustavo Lescovich ‏@guslescovich (https://twitter.com/guslescovich) @JoaoPlata10 (https://twitter.com/JoaoPlata10) muy cerca de Real Salt Lake, hoy se confirma.

https://twitter.com/guslescovich/status/294433605994823680

I am pretty saddened by this. That's my favourite player! :(

Well, hopefully we get someone good for him.

Soccerpro
01-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Good move. Frees up an international spot which we need more than a backup winger right now, especially with Lambe already on the roster. Hopefully Plata gets minutes at RSL

THis +1

PopePouri
01-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Most likely we'll get allocation or a supplementary pick for next year. I doubt they'll let go of either of their players.

spark
01-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Paging Earl Cochrane

notthesun
01-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Re: Plata's agent tweeting about the move, John Molinaro tweeted saying he spoke to a TFC official after seeing it who told him there's no update on Plata's status.

I expect he will make the move to RSL, TFC probably just doesn't want to confirm it before all the paperwork is handed into the league and whatnot. I think Plata's agent is a real blabbermouth/aggressive guy, this is the same type of thing that happened with Plata going to LDU Quito before TFC announced his loan.

Yohan
01-24-2013, 04:29 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/55693417-77/checketts-hansen-stadium-team.html.csp
Minority owner just bought out the other guy. This Hansen guy has pretty deep pockets.

Belfast_Boy
01-24-2013, 04:54 PM
I liked Plata. good luck except when playing us. hope there's plans to fill that position and the others. some depth would be nice too.

would prefer to hear news like this from TFC.

Ultra & Proud
01-24-2013, 04:59 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/55693417-77/checketts-hansen-stadium-team.html.csp
Minority owner just bought out the other guy. This Hansen guy has pretty deep pockets.

Nice quote in the comments under the picture:

A great picture of two slimy crooks!!

levyashin
01-24-2013, 05:23 PM
Real salt lake was one of our away trips and so from first hand knowledge, can say that Plata will love the city,the fans,stadium.Good luck to him;our loss.

khso11
01-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Plata doesn't even takes up much of the salary cap, it was only his transfer fee that was high, why don't we just keep him???

mowe
01-24-2013, 11:25 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/01/24/platas-tfc-future-air-agent-tweets-he-may-join-rsl

The diminutive Ecuadorian's loan contract with Liga de Quito expired at the end of the 2012 Ecuadorian season, and his former club is indicating that Toronto will soon decide his future, whether it is to remain with the Canadian club or move on elsewhere.
“[Plata’s] relationship with Liga [de Quito] ended after the Ecuadorian championship finished last year," Liga de Quito spokesman Esteban Paz told FutbolMLS.com. "He will be back to Toronto to talk about his future. As far as I know, there are many interested teams in him.”

Technorgasm
01-25-2013, 07:44 AM
Am I the only one here that is more than a bit concerned about just which of the warm bodies we currently have on our roster is going to be charged with putting the ball in the net?

International or not, cap space or not, this kid can score, and create goals.

Oldtimer
01-25-2013, 08:39 AM
Am I the only one here that is more than a bit concerned about just which of the warm bodies we currently have on our roster is going to be charged with putting the ball in the net?

International or not, cap space or not, this kid can score, and create goals.

Actually, Plata doesn't score goals or create assists. He has 3 goals and 5 assists in 36 games (a rate of one goal every 10.2 games). That's hardly the answer to our scoring needs. By contrast, the much-maligned Chad Barrett had 16 goals in 65 games for TFC, a rate of one goal every 4 games.

A solid scorer will get a goal every 2-3 games. That's what TFC needs. If the allocation $$$ can bring in someone like that, Payne will have done a fantastic job.

Greatest Ripoff
01-25-2013, 09:05 AM
Actually, Plata doesn't score goals or create assists. He has 3 goals and 5 assists in 36 games (a rate of one goal every 10.2 games). That's hardly the answer to our scoring needs. By contrast, the much-maligned Chad Barrett had 16 goals in 65 games for TFC, a rate of one goal every 4 games.

A solid scorer will get a goal every 2-3 games. That's what TFC needs. If the allocation $$$ can bring in someone like that, Payne will have done a fantastic job.

And how many goals did he score in the Vcup and the CCL? Don't tell me Santos Laguna away when the score is 0-0 is easier than scoring goals in MLS.

Oldtimer
01-25-2013, 09:27 AM
And how many goals did he score in the Vcup and the CCL? Don't tell me Santos Laguna away when the score is 0-0 is easier than scoring goals in MLS.

No question, SL away was a big goal. TFC will not be seen as a success until we can win in MLS, though.

KGH
01-25-2013, 09:29 AM

Plata was figured out in MLS. Once he gets muscled off the ball he's toast. Look at the difference in his production between his rookie year and year 2.

Belfast_Boy
01-25-2013, 09:47 AM

I don't think the numbers don't tell the whole story. Chad had Dero. the team was scoring more during that time from what i remember. I could be wrong. if a numbers person want to check please correct me.
Plata was exciting on the ball and that meant a lot to many supporters. especially now when most of them didn't seem to care anymore (both players and supporters). that's why he was given RPB player of the year.

ensco
01-25-2013, 10:03 AM
No question, SL away was a big goal. TFC will not be seen as a success until we can win in MLS, though.

Actually he scored twice in that game.

Canary10
01-25-2013, 10:13 AM
Plata was figured out in MLS. Once he gets muscled off the ball he's toast. Look at the difference in his production between his rookie year and year 2.

You could argue every player on TFC was "found out" in 2012. Why single out him?

There is a lot of value in having a player that can run at defenders. He might not have a lot of assists, but he does open the game up. I think it's nuts to move him, especially without anything at all in that position. Give him a shot at it.

Yohan
01-25-2013, 10:15 AM
we don't even know if it's TFC that doesn't want him, or it's Plata himself that no longer has interest playing for TFC

KGH
01-25-2013, 10:18 AM
You could argue every player on TFC was "found out" in 2012. Why single out him?

There is a lot of value in having a player that can run at defenders. He might not have a lot of assists, but he does open the game up. I think it's nuts to move him, especially without anything at all in that position. Give him a shot at it.

Sure. But some guys were still able to deliver. Soolsma was a good example. Somewhat 1 dimensional yet still got it done. Once the league started pushing him off the ball it was game over for him.

Ajax TFC
01-25-2013, 10:22 AM

When you consider his size, age, and the position and role he was asked to play, 3 goals and 5 assists isn't a bad haul. Stats don't show everything as it was obvious that he had skill and creativity. On the wing he was expected to beat an athletically superior fullback (who's number one job is to stop him), get inside, and score or cut back and cross.
I think if played in a more central free roaming role as a support striker, he could rack up respectable numbers. Remember that he's still young as well. With the right coaching he could become quite a play maker, if he gives up on trying to score every time he gets near the box.

Canary10
01-25-2013, 10:25 AM
"Sure. But some guys were still able to deliver. Soolsma was a good example. Somewhat 1 dimensional yet still got it done. Once the league started pushing him off the ball it was game over for him."

That's an a opinion, not a fact. I watched Plata create many times last year. Not on the same level as his first year, but still could have a good go at defenders. Again, a dozen of our players last year could be faulted for having a bad season. Soolsma wasn't as good as the year before either.

Yohan
01-25-2013, 10:31 AM
"Sure. But some guys were still able to deliver. Soolsma was a good example. Somewhat 1 dimensional yet still got it done. Once the league started pushing him off the ball it was game over for him."

That's an a opinion, not a fact. I watched Plata create many times last year. Not on the same level as his first year, but still could have a good go at defenders. Again, a dozen of our players last year could be faulted for having a bad season. Soolsma wasn't as good as the year before either.
I beg to differ. Soolsma in 2012 was on his way to having a decent season except the club incident and Mariner threw it all off. Soolsma had 2 assists in 9 MLS games, plus he played well in CCL.

Canary10
01-25-2013, 10:34 AM
I like Soolsma as well, but he missed a number of sitters he should have put away. Plata played well in CCL too.

Stress
01-25-2013, 10:35 AM
I'll side with those saying they aren't too upset that he's leaving. I mentioned before that I feel a lot of us fans and the media over valued his play based on his small stature. He did an okay job but he wasn't very consistent. I think it's worth opening up an intl spot to give a new winger a shot and see if he can bring more to the table on a regular basis.

I also have a feeling that Payne and co. don't think he fits the "new culture" well. Plata can be a bit greedy at times and I don't think he has that "get stuck in" mentality they are looking for.

PopePouri
01-25-2013, 10:41 AM
When you consider his size, age, and the position and role he was asked to play, 3 goals and 5 assists isn't a bad haul. Stats don't show everything as it was obvious that he had skill and creativity. On the wing he was expected to beat an athletically superior fullback (who's number one job is to stop him), get inside, and score or cut back and cross.
I think if played in a more central free roaming role as a support striker, he could rack up respectable numbers. Remember that he's still young as well. With the right coaching he could become quite a play maker, if he gives up on trying to score every time he gets near the box.

Plata is extremely one dimensional. He's good one-on-one which makes him a fan favourite but doesn't track back on the wing, can't defend, has poor vision and can't hold the ball up.

Look at the weighted pass from Bekker to set up the freekick. Even as a no. 10, I can't remember a pass he did that made think he'd be a play-maker. http://youtu.be/An20eXvL6As

He is pretty much only suited to a 4-4-2 with a big no. 9 to play off of with little defending required.

Greatest Ripoff
01-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Plata is extremely one dimensional. He's good one-on-one which makes him a fan favourite but doesn't track back on the wing, can't defend, has poor vision and can't hold the ball up. Even as a no. 10, I can't remember a pass he did that made think he'd be a play-maker. He is pretty much only suited to a 4-4-2 with a big no. 9 to play off of with little defending required.

Which is one more dimension than this roster currently has.

Canary10
01-25-2013, 10:49 AM
Plata is extremely one dimensional. He's good one-on-one which makes him a fan favourite but doesn't track back on the wing, can't defend, has poor vision and can't hold the ball up. Even as a no. 10,

E.g. Look at the weighted pass from Bekker to set up the freekick. I can't remember a pass he did that made think he'd be a play-maker. http://youtu.be/An20eXvL6As

He is pretty much only suited to a 4-4-2 with a big no. 9 to play off of with little defending required.

I don't think he's at all suited to a 4-4-2, for the criticisms you have of him. If that's how we're lining up this year then, yeah, there's not point in having him. Still means we have no one playing wide left in really any formation, unless some of these draftees turn out to be instant starters, which is hard to believe.

Ajax TFC
01-25-2013, 10:49 AM
What I'd like to know from the people who are fine with getting rid of Plata is, where do you think we can get an equally creative and skilled player for 50k? Even if you don't believe he's good enough to start, he's incredibly good value considering his salary is so low it could easily fall into the bottom ten. And for those saying Plata is orchestrating all of this: since when does a 19-20 year old have that much say in all of this? Who gave him the power to decide that he doesn't have to play for the team he's contracted to?

Yohan
01-25-2013, 10:51 AM
What I'd like to know from the people who are fine with getting rid of Plata is, where do you think we can get an equally creative and skilled player for 50k? Even if you don't believe he's good enough to start, he's incredibly good value considering his salary is so low it could easily fall into the bottom ten. And for those saying Plata is orchestrating all of this: since when does a 19-20 year old have that much say in all of this? Who gave him the power to decide that he doesn't have to play for the team he's contracted to?
depends on whether you factoring his supposedly large transfer fee (which we don't have any info on)

Huyton
01-25-2013, 10:52 AM
I liked his work rate, and the big, infectious grin he brought.

I thought his play was fairly 1-dimensional, consisting mainly of running at defenders and losing the ball. Where he was successful was against the smaller players in the CCL, not the big, tall, defenders typically favoured by MLS teams.

I had hoped he'd come back from LDU Quito having learned how to lay off the ball having drawn defenders away as well as how to move into, or create, space in the penalty box.

I could see him as a substitute, late in the 2nd half on a hot day, running the defenders ragged. TFC, however, doesn't have the luxury of carrying a guy like this.

Farewell, Jaoa...I will forever treasure the image of you and Andy Iro celebrating a goal of yours!

gdg_9
01-25-2013, 10:53 AM
I also have a feeling that Payne and co. don't think he fits the "new culture" well. Plata can be a bit greedy at times and I don't think he has that "get stuck in" mentality they are looking for.

^THIS^

I liked watching Plata. He's an exciting player, and he has potential, but I don't think he fits the direction this team is trying to go.

He is a very selfish player. He often tries to do too much himself. We all remember the times that this actually does works, but more often than not he just gets out-muscled off the ball and the attack fizzles out.
He will never fit the style Nelsen wants this team to play - getting stuck-in and playing tough.

His lack of team-first mentality was also clearly on display during that fiasco last year when he packed up and announced to the media that he was leaving the team. Very unprofessional, and showed a lack of respect for his club and teammates.

While he doesn't necesarrily fit in with this team, that doesn't mean he's useles or doesn't have value.
TFC should be looking to trade him.

I'm a bit confused by this whole loan to another MLS club rumour.
The only way it makes sense is if TFC are trying to drive up his value by hoping that he performs in MLS.
If he performs well, TFC can ask for a higher price from RSL (or another club), similar to what Quito did from us.

PopePouri
01-25-2013, 10:56 AM
We have allocation money in the kitty and I'd rather see how Ashton Bennett does in training camp. If we get 2 starting wingers, we then have players like Lambe and Welshman coming off the bench.

gdg_9
01-25-2013, 10:59 AM
And for those saying Plata is orchestrating all of this: since when does a 19-20 year old have that much say in all of this? Who gave him the power to decide that he doesn't have to play for the team he's contracted to?

Well he seemed to have that power during that fiasco last year (or at least thought that he did).
He packed up and announced to the media that he was going back to Panama... before TFC had officially closed any deal.

Canary10
01-25-2013, 10:59 AM
^THIS^

I liked watching Plata. He's an exciting player, and he has potential, but I don't think he fits the direction this team is trying to go.

He is a very selfish player. He often tries to do too much himself. We all remember the times that this actually does works, but more often than not he just gets out-muscled off the ball and the attack fizzles out.
He will never fit the style Nelsen wants this team to play - getting stuck-in and playing tough.

His lack of team-first mentality was also clearly on display during that fiasco last year when he packed up and announced to the media that he was leaving the team. Very unprofessional, and showed a lack of respect for his club and teammates.

While he doesn't necesarrily fit in with this team, that doesn't mean he's useles or doesn't have value.
TFC should be looking to trade him.

I'm a bit confused by this whole loan to another MLS club rumour.
The only way it makes sense is if TFC are trying to drive up his value by hoping that he performs in MLS.
If he performs well, TFC can ask for a higher price from RSL (or another club), similar to what Quito did from us.

You kinda want an offensive player to be selfish, no? Aaron Lennon has made a pretty good living cutting inside from wide, beating a defender and having a go.

Canary10
01-25-2013, 11:02 AM
He's the only player I've seen in the past 3 or 4 years that can inject some pace and purpose into the team (and some excitement in a dead crowd) after a sleepy 60 minutes.

I think they should offer him a shot to re-earn his place in Florida.

gdg_9
01-25-2013, 11:08 AM
You kinda want an offensive player to be selfish, no? Aaron Lennon has made a pretty good living cutting inside from wide, beating a defender and having a go.

Yes, but you have to actually beat the defender on a fairly regular basis!

The key is to know when to have a go, and when to lay off to a teammate.
Plata hasn't demonstrated that he has learned this.

When you just predictably run at the defender every single time, you become much easier to shut down. The defender doesn't have to worry as much about other options.

MLS defenders seemed to have the book on Plata, and he didn't seem willing/capable to change things up at all.

ManUtd4ever
01-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Plata can still be a relatively valuable commodity in this league. If he is utilized primarily as a late game sub to run at tired defenders, he can create offensive opportunities for himself and other forwards.

I would prefer to see him fulfil such a role with TFC but if he is not in the club's short term plans, I think it's lunacy to loan him to a rival club wherein he can come back to haunt us. Either loan him to a club outside the league to continue his development, or trade him within MLS for a useful asset.

reggie
01-25-2013, 11:13 AM
i agree...im waiting for the coch to deny this story..

Greatest Ripoff
01-25-2013, 11:18 AM
We have allocation money in the kitty and I'd rather see how Ashton Bennett does in training camp. If we get 2 starting wingers, we then have players like Lambe and Welshman coming off the bench.

Ashton Bennett is 5 years order than Joao Plata and has never played a professional match of football. I do not have high hopes for him, but I could be and hope I am wrong.

Canary10
01-25-2013, 11:20 AM
Yes, but you have to actually beat the defender on a fairly regular basis!

The key is to know when to have a go, and when to lay off to a teammate.
Plata hasn't demonstrated that he has learned this.

When you just predictably run at the defender every single time, you become much easier to shut down. The defender doesn't have to worry as much about other options.

MLS defenders seemed to have the book on Plata, and he didn't seem willing/capable to change things up at all.

Lennon wins those 1 out of 10 times. It's the one that you're looking for as it often creates a goal.

At 20 I think it's being pretty hard on him to say he hasn't learned. THere's a lot he hasn't learned, but he has exceptional ball skills and is quick. At his age I'd take the chance he can learn. Why not bring him to Florida and let Nelsen see for himself. Our coach has never even seen him play yet!

Ajax TFC
01-25-2013, 11:33 AM
depends on whether you factoring his supposedly large transfer fee (which we don't have any info on)
That transfer fee is already paid. Whether or not he plays here wont change that. So his salary is really all that matters now.

Hard to name an attacking player who WASNT selfish or tried to do too much at the age of 19

Well he seemed to have that power during that fiasco last year (or at least thought that he did).
He packed up and announced to the media that he was going back to Panama... before TFC had officially closed any deal.
Did he really though? Or did Cochrane just try to paint it that way like the DeRo Celtic Fiasco? If he really ran away to Ecuador before the deal was done, TFC could fine him, or make an official complaint to FIFA. Also, LDU Quito (one of the biggest teams in SA) wouldn't have announced him as a LDU player if the paper work wasn't all done already and the signing official.

Yohan
01-25-2013, 11:42 AM
That transfer fee is already paid. Whether or not he plays here wont change that. So his salary is really all that matters now.
we don't know that. let's say Plata cost 500k and signed a 3 yr contract. TFC could have paid 500k in allocation money (which would be pretty stupid), or have 500k transfer fee count against salary cap, split into 3 years. And the transfer fee hit wouldn't show on players union salary.

gdg_9
01-25-2013, 11:44 AM
...Why not bring him to Florida and let Nelsen see for himself. Our coach has never even seen him play yet!

This I can agree with.

While I can make the arguement that he wouldn't necessarily fit in with the new vision for this team, I do agree that he should at least be given the chance to prove that wrong.
And Nelsen should be the one to make that decision.

It makes me very curious as to why TFC would make this decision before training camp even began.
There has to be more to this story...

Maybe the team has issues with Plata off the field (attitude, etc.)?
Maybe Plata has issues with the team and doesn't want to be here?
Maybe Plata wanted assurances the team couldn't/wouldn't offer (i.e. a spot in the first 11)?

Who knows... but something about this whole situation seems a bit off.

Canary10
01-25-2013, 12:07 PM
This I can agree with.

While I can make the arguement that he wouldn't necessarily fit in with the new vision for this team, I do agree that he should at least be given the chance to prove that wrong.
And Nelsen should be the one to make that decision.

It makes me very curious as to why TFC would make this decision before training camp even began.
There has to be more to this story...

Maybe the team has issues with Plata off the field (attitude, etc.)?
Maybe Plata has issues with the team and doesn't want to be here?
Maybe Plata wanted assurances the team couldn't/wouldn't offer (i.e. a spot in the first 11)?

Who knows... but something about this whole situation seems a bit off.

Yohan suggested it might be Plata pushing to leave. That's entirely possible. We really don't know.

Ajax TFC
01-25-2013, 12:11 PM
we don't know that. let's say Plata cost 500k and signed a 3 yr contract. TFC could have paid 500k in allocation money (which would be pretty stupid), or have 500k transfer fee count against salary cap, split into 3 years. And the transfer fee hit wouldn't show on players union salary.
but either way, the money has been payed to LDU, which means that whether it was payed off in the first season or over three seasons, we still have to pay it whether we keep him or not. That's why I say his salary is what matters. 50k (probably an off the cap salary) is all we get back by loaning him out. There's no point associating his transfer fee with him anymore since he as a player is only getting 50k. IMO it's better to count it as a separate cap hit, one that we can do nothing about.

Oldtimer
01-25-2013, 12:19 PM
When a player publically quits a club, the only option is how to maximize the asset, not how to keep him, or whether we cam convince him to change his mind.

It seems like his stock has fallen greatly, Quito doesn't want him, even on loan, and neither do the other teams in that country.

I can see why RSL might take him on a loan, however, to see if they can fit him into their system, as the kid has some skills.

Of course, it might not be a loan at all, but a trade within MLS.

Ajax TFC
01-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Yohan suggested it might be Plata pushing to leave. That's entirely possible. We really don't know.
so was Eric Hassli, and Payne's first response was that the club decides where Hassli plays, not Hassli. Why wouldn't Payne react the same way if Plata wanted out? It seems the club has been trying to keep this quiet and out of the supporters' minds since the beginning.

When a player publically quits a club, the only option is how to maximize the asset, not how to keep him, or whether we cam convince him to change his mind.

It seems like his stock has fallen greatly, Quito doesn't want him, even on loan, and neither do the other teams in that country.

I can see why RSL might take him on a loan, however, to see if they can fit him into their system, as the kid has some skills.

Of course, it might not be a loan at all, but a trade within MLS.
And how can you be sure that Plata wants out, and that it isn't TFC trying to get rid of him? This subtle "we know nothing" smear campaign is an Earl Cockbrane specialty ("we didn't know that DeRo was at Celtic").

Thomas
01-25-2013, 12:22 PM
I thought that Soolsma was one of our better players last year (and we didn't have very many). I was gutted when the clown dumped him.

KGH
01-25-2013, 12:22 PM
but either way, the money has been payed to LDU, which means that whether it was payed off in the first season or over three seasons, we still have to pay it whether we keep him or not. That's why I say his salary is what matters. 50k (probably an off the cap salary) is all we get back by loaning him out. There's no point associating his transfer fee with him anymore since he as a player is only getting 50k. IMO it's better to count it as a separate cap hit, one that we can do nothing about.

I think its more about the international spot

Oldtimer
01-25-2013, 12:38 PM
And how can you be sure that Plata wants out, and that it isn't TFC trying to get rid of him? This subtle "we know nothing" smear campaign is an Earl Cockbrane specialty ("we didn't know that DeRo was at Celtic").

Is it possible that Earl has told his tales about Plata to Payne, and Payne believes him?

If so, more evidence that Earl needs to go, even if he is currently fetching coffee/booking trips.

Yohan
01-25-2013, 12:39 PM
speculation, but could be payment in installments. LDU won't care since they get the money from MLS who'd be administering the transfer fee.

could be that if the transfer fee is paid in installments using hit on salary cap, for this year, whichever team owns Plata is liable for the transfer fee/cap hit

ag futbol
01-25-2013, 12:44 PM
Hard to name an attacking player who WASNT selfish or tried to do too much at the age of 19

I just think a lot of people misunderstand the job requirements. We could get the best 19 year old winger out of Brazil and people would start to hem and haw after he lost the ball a few times taking on his man, even if he was winning 9x out of 10. FW are supposed to run at defenders, especially in a 4-3-3 setup. It's no different than a misplaced pass or a shot that goes into the stands. People get caught up on the individuality of it and decry it as selfish. Even at the youth level anybody who dares take on their man and losses the ball is usually met with cries of "should have passed it". The end result is we basically don't produce any players who are technical enough to face up their defender at the pro level, unless they simply are using their speed and little else.

I don't think Plata should be back, but that more has to do with the international slot he takes up and the lack of defense as opposed to anything he offers on the offensive side which is fine IMO. Like a lot of 19 year olds, he needs to harness that ability to beat the man into an end result more often. But the overall level of output was fine IMO and I didn't really see any level of "selfishness" that I was concerned about.

Damien
01-29-2013, 09:27 AM
The only reason I'd kinda like this to blow up is for Cochrane to expose
his own incompetence so that Payne shows him the door.

T-boy
01-29-2013, 11:16 AM

I kinda suspect that Plata has an agent that is an evil piece of sh!t! It kinda looks like how Agboss has been handled and moved around over the years. Plata's agent gets him to Toronto, pay them good money. Then as soon as he signs on full time, his agent moves him back to Ecuador, again for a nice chunk of money for agent and player. Then end of that season, this agent is moving him again to another club. Something smells really bad in all this. I'm thinking that this isn't a football thing at all, but somebody has fingers in very deep money-overflowing pockets, and is milking all these deals for all they are worth!

I may be wrong - but I'm suspicious.

DangerRed
01-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Not to offend anyone here, but I'm sort of glad he's gone. He's tiny and can't use it as an advantage because this is a very direct and physical league. He's useless in the air, which right there is (to be conservative) a quarter of your scoring opportunities going forward. He missed a ton of easies, some from within the area, and the stats really don't bear out people's opinion of him as some sort of goal-scoring prodigy. He was relatively cheap, and was international, and I'm glad RSL are taking him. Just curious what we'll see as a replacement.

jabbronies
01-29-2013, 11:31 AM
At the moment, he is tapped out. Guy can't do much right on the pitch. He was found out and now everyone knows how to play him.
He needs to be mentored by a creative forward and taught how to be more diverse in his attacking style. Maybe RSL has someone that can do that?

T-boy
01-29-2013, 02:15 PM
At the moment, he is tapped out. Guy can't do much right on the pitch. He was found out and now everyone knows how to play him.
He needs to be mentored by a creative forward and taught how to be more diverse in his attacking style. Maybe RSL has someone that can do that?

I personally don't see Plata's current situation as much of a footballing issue. It's something mental, or something to do with an agent, bad advice, or something like that. I think Plata is a good wide forward/winger. But there seems to be something else going on that's behind the scenes. It was more than coincidental, in my opinion, that Plata was a fan favourite, and one of the best young players in the MLS, then as soon as he signed a contract and some money went between TFC and his home club/agent, he suddenly lost all talent overnight! I don't think that's a coincidence.

Richard
01-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Paul Mariner is what happened to Plata.

Plata liked Winter because he lives and breaths Ajax football, the top of footbal knowledge and development. When Mariner took charge they had an argument from what i read, his style is also from the dark age which does nothing for his development as a player. With winter he could have learned more and progressed further as a player and professional.

Dont get me wrong, Winter needed to leave but the overall system didnt need to, thats what caused a rift and the rest is history.

Lets not forget the the Cock, he had something to do with this situation.

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-29-2013, 07:55 PM

It was like a loan to cause NY retained his MLS rights as part of the deal. It was like a weird MLS rules version of a loan.

tfcmanu
01-30-2013, 11:03 AM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/01/plata-traded-pick

Blizzard
01-30-2013, 01:15 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/01/plata-traded-pick

So basically we got a bag of balls for our beloved munchkin ....... unless the transfer fee was amortized over a certain number of years (which can be done) and RSL is picking some of that up.

Just hoping.

If not, I'd have kept the guy. If we actually did pay the full $500k, then his salary could be seen as a drop in the bucket in comparison.

Yes, I know the Plata glow did fade but hell, he is pretty much the only guy who'd take people on. He was our terrier (which is how I used to refer to Pesch). We miss that. Hopefully we'll get somebody in who has that as part of his playing vocab.