PDA

View Full Version : Today's News, Monday, Jan.21

denime
01-21-2013, 06:45 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV (http://www.torontofc.ca/video)

Reds Report To Preseason (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/01/reds-report-preseason)

SuperDraft Gamble Works For Toronto (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/01/superdraft-gamble-works-toronto)

One-on-one with Kevin Payne (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/#)

Toronto FC: Manager Ryan Nelsen plays for QPR as MLS camp opens (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/article/1317390--toronto-fc-manager-ryan-nelsen-plays-for-qpr-as-mls-camp-opens)

TFC Related Blogs !!

(http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?29582-TFC-MLS-blogs-thread)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

scooter
01-21-2013, 07:39 AM
mornin d

ensco
01-21-2013, 07:46 AM
I think the team putting a story up on its own site saying "Superdraft gamble works" is ridiculous. Most of the assets involved have unknown value at this point. There isn't any disclosure on the allocation dollars received.

Seriously minor league. Incredibly lame.

Hey TFC: I am not your propaganda puppet.

Oldtimer
01-21-2013, 08:27 AM
I think the team putting a story up on its own site saying "Superdraft gamble works" is ridiculous. Most of the assets involved have unknown value at this point. There isn't any disclosure on the allocation dollars received.

When you do propaganda, Larry Millson, do it right! This stuff is too obvious, sounds like the same quality as the old Soviet Union's "worker's paradise" stuff.

http://danamellerio.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/sculpture-blog-21.jpg

http://www.thoughtsfromaconservativemom.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Children2.jpg

The Payne interview is good, however. Ironically, Payne says that if anyone tells you the draft was successful, don't believe it, you can't know it at this point.

Technorgasm
01-21-2013, 08:35 AM
This Payne seems like a level headed fella, I saw his interview .
and although I cringed when I hear "5 year plan" (again)
It obvious that Kevin knows how to navigate the intricate rules of creating and sustaining a team within the MLS.
He also alluded to the fact he has quite a mess on his hands. . . . to which I think most of us agree.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2013/01/16/mls_draft_2013_toronto_fc_kevin_payne/

KRO
01-21-2013, 09:45 AM
It would appear that Ryan Nelsen is in town.
From Paul Beirne's tweet about 30 minutes ago
"At a breakfast session with potential partners and Kevin Payne and Ryan Nelson. #TFC (http://twitter.com/search?uid=0&iid=am-112823428913587792858784404&nid=57+457&q=%23TFC) pic.twitter.com/G5WtxNZ4 (https://t.co/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FG5WtxNZ4&sig=b570533292349b807e7e350ce9ea408d3093f6ff&uid=0&iid=am-112823428913587792858784404&nid=57+458)"

QPR play in the FA Cup next weekend so Nelsen is probably not needed until they play Man City on the 30th.

Skinner
01-21-2013, 10:04 AM
It would appear that Ryan Nelsen is in town.
From Paul Beirne's tweet about 30 minutes ago
"At a breakfast session with potential partners and Kevin Payne and Ryan Nelson. #TFC (http://twitter.com/search?uid=0&iid=am-112823428913587792858784404&nid=57+457&q=%23TFC) pic.twitter.com/G5WtxNZ4 (https://t.co/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FG5WtxNZ4&sig=b570533292349b807e7e350ce9ea408d3093f6ff&uid=0&iid=am-112823428913587792858784404&nid=57+458)"

QPR play in the FA Cup next weekend so Nelsen is probably not needed until they play Man City on the 30th.

I was at this breakfast. Payne and Nelson did a breif Q&A, during which Nelson said that he will be leaving QPR and with TFC "at the end of January". He added that everyone involved wanted to be fully respectful of QPR during the transfer window as the announcement of his departure date would have affected the club's negotiation leverage as they worked on deals. Sounds like they must have a signing coming and that there will be an announcement of Nelson's departure soon. Either way, he'll be here full time very soon. Straight from the horse's mouth.

ensco
01-21-2013, 10:20 AM
I was at this breakfast. Payne and Nelson did a breif Q&A, during which Nelson said that he will be leaving QPR and with TFC "at the end of January". He added that everyone involved wanted to be fully respectful of QPR during the transfer window as the announcement of his departure date would have affected the club's negotiation leverage as they worked on deals. Sounds like they must have a signing coming and that there will be an announcement of Nelson's departure soon. Either way, he'll be here full time very soon. Straight from the horse's mouth.

Great scoop.

reggie
01-21-2013, 10:23 AM
thx for that info..thats good news,im sure the mainsteam media will read this and report it soon...

bones
01-21-2013, 10:24 AM

I personally think that the gamble was trading 3 times to extract a KNOWN thing from teams, MONEY. And yet still get players (what I like to call better than average chance at being successful in the league) but not the picks themselves are the gamble. All players drafted are not "known". But the higher you draft the more LIKELY they'll work out. The only thing guaranteed is $$$, the stuff they got by doing the gamble yet still get relatively high picks :)

Why does everyone think the worst of EVERYTHING that comes out of the FO?

FO: the pen is red
FAN1: what? what's wrong with other colours?
FO: ok the pen is blue
FAN2: holy EFF, RED is our colour, why is the pen BLUE FFS!

ManUtd4ever
01-21-2013, 10:33 AM

I think it was meant in the context that Payne gambled by trading down and securing extra allocation, but he still ended up with the two players that he had allegedly targeted all along.

I can understand why it would be taken in the wrong context though.

ManUtd4ever
01-21-2013, 10:35 AM

Thanks for the update!

KRO
01-21-2013, 10:50 AM
thx for that info..thats good news,im sure the mainsteam media will read this and report it soon...

The media guys are slow off the mark this morning - perhaps they all had heavy weekends. Maybe this is not as big a news story as I think it is?

SirBobSaget
01-21-2013, 10:54 AM

Curious what the response will be from those that went into hysterics claiming TFC are doomed and will be coachless until June.

reggie
01-21-2013, 10:54 AM
slow lol...i think camp opened on saturday,not 1 word from the so called mainsteam media..

Auzzy
01-21-2013, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the info!

(Some CB's price in the EPL just increased by £500k lol woops.)

Furtado91
01-21-2013, 10:58 AM
this is probably a stupid question but is it possible to hang around the training centre if you wanted to meet the new guys? or is it like a cardinal sin :p ?

mowe
01-21-2013, 11:55 AM

Fantastic news. Alleviates most of my concerns about this hiring. All I hope for now is that Nelson has already been preparing for the season and has an idea of what he wants to do with this team.

ensco
01-21-2013, 12:49 PM
I personally think that the gamble was trading 3 times to extract a KNOWN thing from teams, MONEY. And yet still get players (what I like to call better than average chance at being successful in the league) but not the picks themselves are the gamble. All players drafted are not "known". But the higher you draft the more LIKELY they'll work out. The only thing guaranteed is $$$, the stuff they got by doing the gamble yet still get relatively high picks :)

Why does everyone think the worst of EVERYTHING that comes out of the FO?

FO: the pen is red
FAN1: what? what's wrong with other colours?
FO: ok the pen is blue
FAN2: holy EFF, RED is our colour, why is the pen BLUE FFS!

Don't be ridiculous. I liked what Payne did and have said so multiple times.

It's got nothing to do with Payne or what Payne did. It's about some other people needing to have some respect for your customer's intelligence.

ArmenJBX
01-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Tomorrow is media day ladies and gents.

Canary10
01-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Tomorrow is media day ladies and gents.

Will we see the new kit tomorrow I wonder?

KRO
01-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Still no news from the mainstream media and the regular bloggers on the fact that Ryan Nelsen is in town this week and has been quoted on this forum as saying he will be here permanently in a couple of weeks.

I have a theory that they are sulking because Payne used them to get misinformation out on Wednesday night re. Bekker. I think they've been banned form the training facility until tomorrow as well so they are refusing to report anything until then.

Otherwise, I find the silence a bit strange.

Stress
01-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Still no news from the mainstream media and the regular bloggers on the fact that Ryan Nelsen is in town this week and has been quoted on this forum as saying he will be here permanently in a couple of weeks.

I have a theory that they are sulking because Payne used them to get misinformation out on Wednesday night re. Bekker. I think they've been banned form the training facility until tomorrow as well so they are refusing to report anything until then.

Or perhaps they are embarrassed for making such a big deal out of it after the first press release and they are just waiting to slip it in with all the other stories from media day tomorrow.

But most likely it's just not as big of a news story as we think it is and it can wait until tomorrow.

ArmenJBX
01-21-2013, 02:13 PM

Or perhaps they are embarrassed for making such a big deal out of it after the first press release and they are just waiting to slip it in with all the other stories from media day tomorrow.

But most likely it's just not as big of a news story as we think it is and it can wait until tomorrow.

Media Day tomorrow. We can actually get proof from Payne himself before filing stories based on forum rumours.

Skinner
01-21-2013, 02:24 PM

Not strange really. There was no media at the event today and I wouldn't expect anyone to make much of my comments....simply because, "Who the hell is this Skinner guy?"

Take comfort in knowing that this came from Nelsen himself to a room full of partners/supporters. The question was something along the lines of "How do you intend on balancing both roles?" He could have easily said something more cryptic...but instead, practically volunteered the information. Payne was standing right there with him and didn't flinch. I wouldn't expect him to say it if wasn't true.

It will get picked up soon enough I'm sure. Maybe one of our crack local media can reach out to the club and set up a quick chat with Nelson today. See what he says. Or perhaps they just hold back until tomorrow's presser.

Anyway, I like what I see from Payne and Nelsen so far. I had the opportunity to speak to both of them personally and they are both straight shooters and from my perspective, the kind of stand up people we need.

Marc"2L"
01-21-2013, 04:28 PM
It does make a lot of sense.

QPR need backup
Everybody knowing you need something is bad in a transfer window
Everybody kept their mouth shut and now a deal is probably done.
QPR get their new man, Toronto gets theirs.

Kaz
01-21-2013, 04:33 PM
I wonder what the media will say tomorrow if Nelson has actually been in town since Sunday and is here to meet the guys, and start working with them. Even if he does have to still play a bit in England, that does indicate the man is here and we are not dealing with a 100% absentee coach till first kick just a 50% absentee coach, and lets face it we've had a few coaches that have been 50% absentee coaches while in the room with the boys.

I think if Nelson is going to make that horrible trip across the Atlantic as often as he can for the next little while, that shows some class, and is deserving of some respect from the media and even the boys.

Yohan
01-21-2013, 04:56 PM
I wonder what the media will say tomorrow if Nelson has actually been in town since Sunday and is here to meet the guys, and start working with them. Even if he does have to still play a bit in England, that does indicate the man is here and we are not dealing with a 100% absentee coach till first kick just a 50% absentee coach, and lets face it we've had a few coaches that have been 50% absentee coaches while in the room with the boys.

I think if Nelson is going to make that horrible trip across the Atlantic as often as he can for the next little while, that shows some class, and is deserving of some respect from the media and even the boys.
IMO Nelsen needed to show up this weekend to meet the players. Considering just how weird the hiring of Nelsen and his current situation is, Nelsen needs to talk to the players to explain what's going on and to win their confidence. As well introducing himself, talk about his philosophy in football, expectations and whatnot.

__wowza
01-21-2013, 05:48 PM
this is probably a stupid question but is it possible to hang around the training centre if you wanted to meet the new guys? or is it like a cardinal sin :p ?

shoot an email to MLSE or a ticket rep to get you to someone who'd know.
i've got no idea how strict they are with this stuff.

Kaz
01-21-2013, 05:55 PM
IMO Nelsen needed to show up this weekend to meet the players. Considering just how weird the hiring of Nelsen and his current situation is, Nelsen needs to talk to the players to explain what's going on and to win their confidence. As well introducing himself, talk about his philosophy in football, expectations and whatnot.

I totally agree but the press and some on the board made it seem like people expected Nelson to stay in England until June and just have skype conversations. With luck the press day tomorrow will help clarify much, and show some press people that the man will actually be around.

I just hope people start seeing this more as Nelson may miss part or much of pre-season but will be involved the whole time, and Payne wasn't completely off his rocker. Though I'm still thinking someone should check the man for a concussion.

Detroit_TFC
01-21-2013, 06:20 PM
I'm glad the timing worked out for RN to be on site for media day and more importantly to meet with the squad. Still not ideal situation, but this helps.

Skinner
01-21-2013, 10:46 PM
Media Day tomorrow. We can actually get proof from Payne himself before filing stories based on forum rumours.

It's not a rumour....it's a fact.

Yohan
01-22-2013, 12:32 AM
Stefan Frei article
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2013/01/21/sp-mls-toronto-fc-goalkeeper-stefan-frei-comeback.html?cmp=rss

Skinner
01-22-2013, 06:27 PM
"We had a talk and we needed to give QPR as much time as possible to bring in a replacement or sort things out. If (other clubs) knew that I was leaving earlier it would have been harder in the transfer window (for QPR), as prices would have gone up and salaries would have gone up. ... We just wanted to be respectful of QPR and the transfer window," Nelsen told reporters during TFC's media day.

Pretty much what he said at the breakfast yesterday.

Maybe I should get my media credentials :thumbsup: