PDA

View Full Version : New Kevin Payne interview

Yohan
01-16-2013, 03:04 PM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/1315860--under-new-boss-kevin-payne-tfc-embarks-on-culture-change

“Also, we’re first in line to participate in the league’s new young, designated player program. So, as players are acquired by the league and made available to the teams, we’re at the top of the list. This is a key program because the players will come in at a discounted cap charge and they also will not count (as one of team’s three) designated players.”

gdg_9
01-16-2013, 03:12 PM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/1315860--under-new-boss-kevin-payne-tfc-embarks-on-culture-change

“Also, we’re first in line to participate in the league’s new young, designated player program. So, as players are acquired by the league and made available to the teams, we’re at the top of the list. This is a key program because the players will come in at a discounted cap charge and they also will not count (as one of team’s three) designated players.”

That quote is VERY encouraging!

(Could this end up being Lopez? Could he be the player TFC is "first in line" and at "the top of the list" for?)

Canary10
01-16-2013, 03:17 PM
More importantly, have they not changed the young DP rule then? Didn't a young DP count toward the 3 before?

gdg_9
01-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Q: Is new coach (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/article/1312013—tfc-s-new-head-coach-ryan-nelsen-won-t-be-available-for-a-whilehead) Ryan Nelsen central to this culture change?
A: “Obviously Ryan is going to be the leader of this team as the head coach. But we also hope there will be some players — Danny Califf is certainly one, we hope Darren O’Dea is another — who want the responsibility to say to everybody else ‘hey, follow my lead and we’ll win this game.’ Some guys do that in a lot of different ways. Some guys do it very overtly. Some guys just do it by example.

I find it interesting that when talking about the players who will be the leaders of this team, he doesn't mention Frings.
Am I reading too much into this omission?

Ultra & Proud
01-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Q: Is new coach (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/article/1312013—tfc-s-new-head-coach-ryan-nelsen-won-t-be-available-for-a-whilehead) Ryan Nelsen central to this culture change?
A: “Obviously Ryan is going to be the leader of this team as the head coach. But we also hope there will be some players — Danny Califf is certainly one, we hope Darren O’Dea is another — who want the responsibility to say to everybody else ‘hey, follow my lead and we’ll win this game.’ Some guys do that in a lot of different ways. Some guys do it very overtly. Some guys just do it by example.

I find it interesting that when talking about the players who will be the leaders of this team, he doesn't mention Frings.

I think so. He mentions Frings as one of the four experienced defensive players that will make us difficult to score against.

Ultra & Proud
01-16-2013, 03:41 PM
More importantly, have they not changed the young DP rule then? Didn't a young DP count toward the 3 before?
Yeah, this is new. I never heard of this before. Now I am no conspiracy theorist :willy_nilly:but I am thinking that maybe with Payne we are in the MLS good books (along with LA & NY) as the teams with endless allocation and where rules are made to be broken (or changed to suit).

gdg_9
01-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Yeah, this is new. I never heard of this before. Now I am no conspiracy theorist :willy_nilly:but I am thinking that maybe with Payne we are in the MLS good books (along with LA & NY) as the teams with endless allocation and where rules are made to be broken (or changed to suit).

I think you may be right!
We are now "first in line" and at "the top of the list"

Phil
01-16-2013, 03:46 PM

I had read before that Payne had flown to London to meet with Frings before Christmas. That to me means he is well within the plans of the team.

OgtheDim
01-16-2013, 03:51 PM
The Inukshuk as a team symbol!?

:skep:

Make a good TIFO though.

Damien
01-16-2013, 03:56 PM
The Inukshuk as a team symbol!?

:skep:

Make a good TIFO though.

http://www.wordans.com.pt/wvc-1334882580/wordansfiles/images/2012/4/19/138809/138809_340.jpg

MarkEightThree
01-16-2013, 03:56 PM
I think he means no disrespect towards Frings, but he's well aware that with Torsten's age he won't be a pillar of our team for very long. He mentioned as much when he was first hired and people asked what fans can expect of the team.

brad
01-16-2013, 04:03 PM

Or it could be a move to try and get exceptional young talent into the league.

gdg_9
01-16-2013, 04:04 PM
I think so. He mentions Frings as one of the four experienced defensive players that will make us difficult to score against.

I had read before that Payne had flown to London to meet with Frings before Christmas. That to me means he is well within the plans of the team.

I think he means no disrespect towards Frings, but he's well aware that with Torsten's age he won't be a pillar of our team for very long. He mentioned as much when he was first hired and people asked what fans can expect of the team.

I didn't mean that I thought Frings wasn't going to be on the team, or whatever...

Just found it odd that when talking about Leadership and a new winning culture, you wouldn't want the most experienced and successful player on the team, by far, to play a big role in that.

But again... I'm over-analyzing. Blame it on the anxiousness of the off-season.
Can't wait for the draft tomorrow, and then the season to start in less than 2 months!

Oldtimer
01-16-2013, 04:18 PM
You can see Payne's strong leadership skills in this interview.
In an organization, culture is one of the most important elements.
DC had a culture of effort, pride, and winning,
I want TFC to have that kind of culture.

TOBOR !
01-16-2013, 04:19 PM
I think you may be right!
We are now "first in line" and at "the top of the list"

By virtue of our poor record.

Yohan
01-16-2013, 04:34 PM
Dobbers interview Payne at the Combine

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2013/01/16/mls_draft_2013_toronto_fc_kevin_payne/?utm_source=Soccer%20Lineup%20RSS-Images&utm_medium=feed&utm_content=Payne%20sizes%20up%20Toronto%20FC%27s% 20draft%20options

Yohan
01-16-2013, 04:50 PM
Is this new young DP mechanism is how TFC ends up with Alex Lopez from Honduras?

spark
01-16-2013, 05:16 PM
I'm holding out for Neymar :D

Fishnicker
01-16-2013, 05:21 PM
Is this new young DP mechanism is how TFC ends up with Alex Lopez from Honduras?

I certainly hope so! I wonder if the allocation ranking for returning us internationals and former mlsers is used for this too, I know we're top of the list on that one.

Ultra & Proud
01-16-2013, 07:29 PM
By virtue of our poor record.
We've been shit for a while but now we seem to be at the top of all these allocation lists (pre-existing and newly invented). Now I read we have 3 international spots left. I thought we were up against it there too. Hopefully next our allocation works like it does in NY and LA too (ie. Limitless supply).

anto7
01-16-2013, 07:36 PM
Dobbers interview Payne at the Combine

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2013/01/16/mls_draft_2013_toronto_fc_kevin_payne/?utm_source=Soccer Lineup RSS-Images&utm_medium=feed&utm_content=Payne sizes up Toronto FC's draft options

Nice little tidbit at the end of the Dobson interview from Payne. Dobson asks "if you were a betting man what would the chances be that Nelson will arrive sooner rather than later ?". Payne responds by saying that he feels very good about when Nelson will arrive.

Yohan
01-19-2013, 11:47 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2013/01/19/mls_toronto_fc_kevin_payne/?utm_source=Soccer Lineup RSS-Images&utm_medium=feed&utm_content=GM Payne has big plans for Toronto FC

New Kevin Payne interview with Dobbers. Kinda propaganda piece and no new info

DangerRed
01-20-2013, 09:37 AM
He's saying all the right things and, so far, is doing the right things as well. I'm cautiously optimistic for next year, especially if Nelsen arrives on schedule and if we manage to shed some of the more expensive contracts before the year starts. I love Ecks, but my god...

Alonso
01-20-2013, 06:39 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2013/01/19/mls_toronto_fc_kevin_payne/?utm_source=Soccer Lineup RSS-Images&utm_medium=feed&utm_content=GM Payne has big plans for Toronto FC

New Kevin Payne interview with Dobbers. Kinda propaganda piece and no new info

Well he does say something to the effect that he is surprised that TFC fans would assume that he doesn't know when Nelsen will arrive, which is kinda new. He said that he knows when Ryan is coming, but out of respect for QPR is not saying... 1:11 in the interview.

2:52 = I feel stronger about the appointment of Ryan than any other coaching decision that I've made since Bruce Arena in 96. I've won titles with 4 different coaches.

.... Some very good points from the 'gaffer' :D

He's basically saying 'shut up bitches.... I've got this.' g:D 'How many coaches have you hired?'

Yohan
01-31-2013, 11:47 PM
Kevin Payne at The Soccer Show with Reed and Iarusci

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/SoccerShow/~3/ezdo5MfSt68/ss_20130131_223007--The-Soccer-Show---Thursday---January-31.mp3

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/the_soccer_show/

Payne segment starts around 7:30 mark

DangerRed
02-01-2013, 11:45 AM
After guys on here slammed Califf for coming back fat, it's interesting to hear him praised by Payne as a consummate professional who takes care of himself and is consistent. Interested to see him take his place in our back line.

Abou Sky
02-01-2013, 01:11 PM
What I REALLY like about that interview is that he sets out expectations as 'in the discussion for the playoffs' and 'we are going to have good options for next year (2014)'

I hope he can keep the wolves at bay for long enough to see his vision through. Toronto Fans (all sports) have the attention span of gnats.

ensco
02-01-2013, 01:49 PM
I agree with those who think the fitness tirade in public feels a bit off. I know Payne is trying to set a tone, but I never think that the way to do this is through the papers.

I have followed this league for 7 years, and never once has Dominic Kinnear criticized players to the press.

This belongs inside the room.

(Also I agree with whoever said, let Nelsen handle it.)

Abou Sky
02-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Didn't someone post some tweets about him going buck wild on players in the dressing room about fitness.

PopePouri
02-01-2013, 01:56 PM
I agree with those who think the fitness tirade in public feels a bit off. I know Payne is trying to set a tone, but I never think that the way to do this is through the papers.

I have followed this league for 7 years, and never once has Dominic Kinnear criticized players to the press.

This belongs inside the room.

(Also I agree with whoever said, let Nelsen handle it.)

On one half I agree with this but on the other hand, it's nice to see shit getting done.

Gazza
02-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Usually managers go public with fitness rants after their private rants have heeded no results.

The fact that we'll be grinding out results again this year, Payne feels the need to make sure we don't lose games because we're outworked.

ensco
02-01-2013, 03:21 PM
I say all this as someone who likes Payne, and is desperate to keep liking/supporting him....

Players need to believe management has their backs. You rip guys to their face, in your office, behind closed doors.

Along the same lines, why is Payne talking about all these potential signings? It can't be good for the room either.

Stop trying to sell SSH tickets, and just worry about the team.

ManUtd4ever
02-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Payne didn't call anyone out individually, so it's fair play in my book. He's just trying to make a point that the country club atmosphere of the past will no longer be tolerated.

Ivy
02-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Payne didn't call anyone out individually, so it's fair play in my book. He's just trying to make a point that the country club atmosphere of the past will no longer be tolerated.
I agree. Players need to understand its a privilege to play pro, not a right. Abuse of privileges isn't tolerated anywhere in the world, and it shouldn't be in pro soccer. Payne is building a team, not a fan base, so he needs to inject a certain factor of "accountability" into the players. If I was a player, I would take his comments to the head, not the heart, and bust my ass to be the strongest player on the squad.

backbeat
02-01-2013, 04:13 PM
i have no problem with what Payne is saying at all, in fact i'm thrilled to hear it. Also it is refreshing to listen to player interviews so far about how organized and clear the pre-season instruction has been. That they know everyday exactly what is expected of them.

Mr. Bigby
02-01-2013, 04:20 PM
I have to come down on the side of KP. Look at the article on Klinnsman from the NY Times in the thread below this, and compare that to the attitude that allows a player to come to camp out of shape! It can't be acceptable and someone has to call them on it. For too long we have seen Toronto players amble onto the field at the start of a game and at the half as if they were out for a gentle scrimage, while the other team runs full tilt, ready to play. Then we see our team getting their asses handed to them until they wake up and begin to play - but by then we're often down a goal. This is the same attitude that allows a supposed professional to come to camp out of shape!

The team can't keep the same old attitude and expect anything to change, and it has to be clear from the top on down that the old ways won't be tolerated. If we are still going to be, for the next year, a work in progress, then I damned well expect to see the team at least working hard, and being at least better prepared than the other team, even if they can't be better players. Full marks to KP, and I expect that the message WILL be repeated, forcefully, when Nelsen arrives.

Batman
02-01-2013, 04:33 PM
I have to come down on the side of KP. Look at the article on Klinnsman from the NY Times in the thread below this, and compare that to the attitude that allows a player to come to camp out of shape! It can't be acceptable and someone has to call them on it. For too long we have seen Toronto players amble onto the field at the start of a game and at the half as if they were out for a gentle scrimage, while the other team runs full tilt, ready to play. Then we see our team getting their asses handed to them until they wake up and begin to play - but by then we're often down a goal. This is the same attitude that allows a supposed professional to come to camp out of shape!

The team can't keep the same old attitude and expect anything to change, and it has to be clear from the top on down that the old ways won't be tolerated. If we are still going to be, for the next year, a work in progress, then I damned well expect to see the team at least working hard, and being at least better prepared than the other team, even if they can't be better players. Full marks to KP, and I expect that the message WILL be repeated, forcefully, when Nelsen arrives.

Very well stated.

Wull
02-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Very concerned with what De Vos just tweeted in regard to cochrane and the hassli extension. Payne, can't be that naive, right?!

jloome
02-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Very concerned with what De Vos just tweeted in regard to cochrane and the hassli extension. Payne, can't be that naive, right?!

We'll never know how involved he is.

Oldtimer
02-01-2013, 11:01 PM
It's quite common to blame the guy who has left, and can't defend himself, for example :

Payne: Who's stupid idea was it to re-sign Hassli?

Cochrane: Mariner insisted on it. I just did the paperwork.

JuliquE
02-02-2013, 05:31 AM
I tend to agree with this.

I understand where ensco is coming from, but I don't agree; I think it can even be better when the message is coming from the top down, benefiting the coach, without him having to get on the bad side of the players. Not to suggest that the players should be running the show, but more along the lines of why it was good that KP didn't single anyone out; the diplomacy shown will see the point made, without making it difficult for the players to buy into their vision.

Worth noting, as well, is the way he spoke about making sure that they're the hardest working FO in the league and wanting to set an example to the players. Coupled with how he underlines that it's disrespectful to your peers to show up unfit, I think it would be tough for anyone not to feel that this is only fair.