PDA

View Full Version : Hassli wants out of Toronto

Damien
01-15-2013, 03:54 PM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/01/sources-hassli-wants-out-of-tfc.html

When Toronto FC traded for French striker Eric Hassli, it was believed that the high-priced forward could potentially be a solid long-term solution for TFC.

It appears he has no intention of sticking around long enough to make that happen.

Sources tell SBI that Hassli has requested a move away from Toronto FC, with the club in the unenviable position of trying to offload a big-salary player in a league with few options for him (a move back to Europe would seem to make the most sense).

Toronto FC isn’t going to make it easy for Hassli though. When asked on Tuesday about whether Hassli had in fact requested a trade, and whether TFC was planning to trade Hassli, Toronto FC president Kevin Payne would not confirm it. His response, however, seemed very pointed, revealing and defiant.

“Eric Hassli is under contract for 2013,” Payne said. “We’ll decide where Eric Hassli plays this year. Not Eric Hassli.”

T-boy
01-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Hassli re-signing days before Payne was announced stinks as much as the Nathan Sturgis signing.

Fort York Redcoat
01-15-2013, 04:02 PM
Ugh. Hassli has been very appreciative of support from his arrival here. I didn't understand the move when it happened but enjoyed his attitude last year. I hope this situation can be resolved is a satisfactory way for both parties. Gawd.

Jeff s
01-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Its alright he can go. He was never ever DP quality. Maybe if MLSE organized all the other issues first, this wouldn't happen right now.

Derko
01-15-2013, 04:06 PM
More Drama, it's like a cheap Harlequin romance book

Initial B
01-15-2013, 04:07 PM
I think that this proves that the regime change at TFC was very abrupt and orchestrated by those outside of MLSE. Had they known Payne was coming, I don't think Hassli would have been signed.

ag futbol
01-15-2013, 04:09 PM
Its alright he can go. He was never ever DP quality. Maybe if MLSE organized all the other issues first, this wouldn't happen right now.
Agreed.

A lot of people are speculating that Kevin Payne's hire came from MLS, but I think knowing what we know now, it definitely came from Bogers. Depending what Anselmi knew, he should of had controls in place. Signing a DP a few days before a new manager? That should never happen. But judging by his shocked look on the podium at the KP presser and at the Burke Presser, he's been cut out of the loop. They are just publicly making this guy the face of all these changes, because they know he looks like a dope.

MLS has never meddled at the level people are suggesting previously and to do so would raise major red flags with other ownership groups.

Canary10
01-15-2013, 04:13 PM
I can't imagine Bogers cares enough or knows enough about MLS to go out and find Kevin Payne. Also not sure I buy the idea that MLS intervened, but I do agree the hire was abrupt and not well managed.

ManUtd4ever
01-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Yikes

billyfly
01-15-2013, 04:19 PM
And where does Mr. Hassli desire to play instead of here?

Damien
01-15-2013, 04:27 PM
His contract is really only offloadable to a team as desperate as TFC was in 2012.

Joe Kool
01-15-2013, 04:29 PM
What a mess if true....would like to see an actual quote though or something from Hassli confirming this rather than just a "source" for SBI before I worry about it at all.

denime
01-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Hassli re-signing days before Payne was announced stinks as much as the Nathan Sturgis signing.

TRUE,

Another magic move by two stooges Cockrane and Mariner

denime
01-15-2013, 04:45 PM
I think that this proves that the regime change at TFC was very abrupt and orchestrated by those outside of MLSE. Had they known Payne was coming, I don't think Hassli would have been signed.
Haslli was signed TWO DAYS before Payne,no way they did not know.

DoubleUp
01-15-2013, 04:56 PM
If people dont think Payne was sent by the league to clean up the mess called TFC they are naive. We were starting to become an embarrassment not just to the city, but also to the league and the professionalism its trying to portray.

backbeat
01-15-2013, 04:56 PM
Haslli was signed TWO DAYS before Payne,no way they did not know.

this is what totally baffles me about the Haslli signing. I'm sure it had to go for board approval and if they knew Payne was coming I can't imagine they'd not wait a day or 2...Make's no sense unless the Payne hiring was totally last minute or they did ask him and he agreed...I don't buy that MLS dropped Payne into TFC...

TFC07
01-15-2013, 05:00 PM
If people dont think Payne was sent by the league to clean up the mess called TFC they are naive. We were starting to become an embarrassment not just to the city, but also to the league and the professionalism its trying to portray.

I get the feeling Rogers/Bell contact MLS to help them hire a proper president. Seems like Rogers/Bell don't want loud mouth and unprofessional people running their teams who have done a poor job. Heck, Burke and Mariner gone speaks volume.

OgtheDim
01-15-2013, 05:04 PM
I can't imagine Bogers cares enough or knows enough about MLS to go out and find Kevin Payne...

Somebody outside of the Tannenbaum/Anselmi group gave them binders on all the MLSE assets back in the fall.

They've had a GOOD long time to think this all through.

Knowing them, they probably talked to Paul Beeston and Pat Gillick and a few other trusted hands.

They would have been told to go hire the best in the business.

From there, they ask somebody else (MLS?) who is the best in the business.

And thus we get KP.

spe18
01-15-2013, 05:27 PM

Sources tell SBI that Hassli has requested a move away from Toronto FC, with the club in the unenviable position of trying to offload a big-salary player in a league with few options for him (a move back to Europe would seem to make the most sense).

“Eric Hassli is under contract for 2013,” Payne said. “We’ll decide where Eric Hassli plays this year. Not Eric Hassli.”

This got me thinking, would it be theoretically possible for him to leave the country on a plane one night, return to Europe and sign with a European team without ever stepping on North American soil again?

ensco
01-15-2013, 05:31 PM
this is what totally baffles me about the Haslli signing. I'm sure it had to go for board approval and if they knew Payne was coming I can't imagine they'd not wait a day or 2...Make's no sense unless the Payne hiring was totally last minute or they did ask him and he agreed...I don't buy that MLS dropped Payne into TFC...

Why would you think that a 750K signing needs board approval? The Leafs and Raptors sign journeymen 10x a year for more.

It was a big deal for TFC, but beyond nothing for MLSE.

backbeat
01-15-2013, 05:40 PM
Why would you think that a 750K signing needs board approval? The Leafs and Raptors sign journeymen 10x a year for more.

maybe not but i had understood DP's were approved by the board - none-the-less it is still hard to understand

Richard
01-15-2013, 05:41 PM
I would give him away for free, TFC need all the cap space they can get. Either way TFC will have 0-1 DP in 2014 which is good.

Huyton
01-15-2013, 05:51 PM
Shame...I'd looked forward to seeing Hassli, Koevermans and Frings on the field.

Oldtimer
01-15-2013, 06:11 PM
I get the feeling Rogers/Bell contact MLS to help them hire a proper president. Seems like Rogers/Bell don't want loud mouth and unprofessional people running their teams who have done a poor job. Heck, Burke and Mariner gone speaks volume.

It's hard to say who contacted who first, but I think that anyone with half a brain would know that TFC has been a mess. It will take a lot of effort and determination to clean up the club, both of which Kevin Payne seems to have.

maybe not but i had understood DP's were approved by the board - none-the-less it is still hard to understand

That was under the Teachers' regime... they kept a tight hand on things, and micro-managed everything.

Part of running an enterprise well is knowing when to delegate. My gut feeling is that under the Bogers board Payne has all of the authority he needs to hire or not hire a DP. The way it should be and probably is that he will present a budget to the board, and it will be up to him how to allocate that money, within the bounds of the budget, whether for a DP or a new assistant coach, or whatever.

v00d00daddy
01-15-2013, 06:21 PM
So we traded away a first round pick in the 2014 draft and an international roster spot for 7 games of Eric Hassli?

I'm sure we'll get that kind of value back trading him now. LOL

And that draft pick position will be determined by a team with a coach that is not yet a coach or even around the team.

Sounds about par for the course with this club. LOL

It's scary when stuff like this doesn't even surprise me anymore.

Batman
01-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Another Earl F*CKING Cochrane shitshow

How long can this clown stay on.

Gazza_55
01-15-2013, 06:58 PM

Sent by the league?!!!

LOL. You guys must be having a laugh with this.

DangerRed
01-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Good riddance. Expensive and over-the-hill, much like Frings and, sadly, soon Danny K will join them in this category. Here's hoping we can get something in return in addition to cap room relief.

Oldtimer
01-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Sent by the league?!!!

You are naive, then. :)

JayMolly
01-15-2013, 07:32 PM

When Toronto FC traded for French striker Eric Hassli, it was believed that the high-priced forward could potentially be a solid long-term solution for TFC.

It appears he has no intention of sticking around long enough to make that happen.

Toronto FC isn’t going to make it easy for Hassli though. When asked on Tuesday about whether Hassli had in fact requested a trade, and whether TFC was planning to trade Hassli, Toronto FC president Kevin Payne would not confirm it. His response, however, seemed very pointed, revealing and defiant.

If that is KP's exact quote . . . I like it! The tail should not be wagging the dog! KP you are in charge, not EH.

FluSH
01-15-2013, 07:34 PM

Thats a good point...

Toronto
01-15-2013, 07:36 PM
Maybe he doesn't want to play for a guy whose sole coaching experience was coaching NCAA Div 3 until June-- and then being coached by a guys whose never coached ever.

reggie
01-15-2013, 07:38 PM
i think yr right...but he does have a badge,so everything will be ok.

Oldtimer
01-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Maybe he doesn't want to play for a guy whose sole coaching experience was coaching NCAA Div 3 until June-- and then being coached by a guys whose never coached ever.

Mariner didn't have any coaching experience either, apart from a brief and unsuccesfull caretaker role, so that can't be it.

scooter
01-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Another Earl F*CKING Cochrane shitshow

How long can this clown stay on.

yes thats what i am thinking too but hassli was mariners boy and with paul gone maybe he doesnt think he will get the prefered treatment

but lets free up some cap space and have an option of a new dp

hassli is an injury waiting to happen so lets not waste money on him if koovermans is not ready for opening day so be it

lets see what happens in the college draft striker wise and if not i am sure payne and co will buy a proven striker for less money

i love the new direction the team is taking and hassli is not part of that

Greatest Ripoff
01-15-2013, 11:46 PM

But I thought O'Leary wasn't coming? He is listed on the website as still coaching for that university.

jazzy
01-16-2013, 12:08 AM
good riddance Mr. Hassli

Yohan
01-16-2013, 12:21 AM
Hassli used to play for Marco Schallibaum now in Mtl. I wonder if there is interest...

Strikers
01-16-2013, 12:25 AM
Seems like another backroom deal gone wrong by Earl & Paul, who knows what they promised Hassli and now that Payne is in charge all bets are
off and he wants out. Same thing happenned when Winter refused to sign players that were promised contracts by the FO.

Hopefully this is the last time something like this will happen.

West220Side
01-16-2013, 01:53 AM
Hassli used to play for Marco Schallibaum now in Mtl. I wonder if there is interest...

I hear everybody in Switzerland has played for Marco Schallilbaum.
We all know the requirements to sign for Montreal is to be old, italian, or both.

Ivy
01-16-2013, 08:33 AM
Shame.... I was hoping Hassli would work out here.

I wouldn't be surprised if he talked to PM recently, and was told he's not going to get much playing time - which he made clear that he wants to play all the time.

He puts TFC in a hard stop...what do you do with a high paid injury magnet player?

Nuvinho
01-16-2013, 08:34 AM

Then he can play for all the 3 Canadian MLS teams.....next stop after that.....NASL...with Edmonton.

TOBOR !
01-16-2013, 08:38 AM
This has to grease the rails for Cochrane's dismissal.

Phil
01-16-2013, 08:57 AM
This has to grease the rails for Cochrane's dismissal.

One would hope but it seems that 'blame the guys that are gone' syndrome would be in full effect.

TOBOR !
01-16-2013, 09:05 AM
One would hope but it seems that 'blame the guys that are gone' syndrome would be in full effect.

Sure, but that didn't help Mariner for long. I think Payne can spot that crap a mile off. As soon as he has someone to replace Cochrane (really, what does he even do ?), he'll be out the door.

Phil
01-16-2013, 09:08 AM
Sure, but that didn't help Mariner for long. I think Payne can spot that crap a mile off. As soon as he has someone to replace Cochrane (really, what does he even do ?), he'll be out the door.

Something about their history suggests to me that his leash is longer than others. I know a bit of what went on and believe me it wasn't hard for Payne to find a reason to get Mariner out.

Earl has survived 6 seasons, I think he has the ability to make a go for a 7th especially with a buddy calling the shots and scape goats galore.

I am just being realistic here and trying not to get my hopes up.

Wooster_TFC
01-16-2013, 09:56 AM
Something about their history suggests to me that his leash is longer than others. I know a bit of what went on and believe me it wasn't hard for Payne to find a reason to get Mariner out.

Earl has survived 6 seasons, I think he has the ability to make a go for a 7th especially with a buddy calling the shots and scape goats galore.

Does it really matter if Earl is gone if he's back to fetching coffee and filling out some paperwork that then gets the twice over from KP, as he (reportedly) did in DC?

MartinUtd
01-16-2013, 10:07 AM

I'd say it stinks three times as much if we're measuring the cap hit.

Thanks Earl, you've already left your mark on 2013.

Detroit_TFC
01-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Does it really matter if Earl is gone if he's back to fetching coffee and filling out some paperwork that then gets the twice over from KP, as he (reportedly) did in DC?

Yeah, all this focus on Earl C is pointless. He's not a decision maker anymore.

TOBOR !
01-16-2013, 10:14 AM

Yeah, maybe he'll be good to keep around. A little bit of Yin in TFC's Yang. A reminder of how things were. An inspiration to not want to go back there.

reggie
01-16-2013, 10:23 AM
The coch is good at finding cheaper flights to central america,thats what he did for the CSA..Jezzz
they should can his ass and hire the guy from i2000 travel..

Canary10
01-16-2013, 10:23 AM
Hassli is the prototypical sulky, emotional striker. Someone from TFC should just talk him down. I still think he's a solid player, and he should get a lot of minutes, especially early on. I'd rather he play with us than walk personally.

TFC_Allez
01-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Love Hassli. But resigning him as a DP was a monstrous mistake. If he does truly want to leave and we can find a team to off load him to...this might actually be a blessing in disguise.

Alonso
01-16-2013, 10:27 AM
Hassli is the prototypical sulky, emotional striker. Someone from TFC should just talk him down. I still think he's a solid player, and he should get a lot of minutes, especially early on. I'd rather he play with us than walk personally.

Same here.

And as mentioned earlier in this thread.

We are yet to hear anything from the man himself regarding this.

This is all just heresay. (queue the heresay debate in 3...2...1...) g:D

spark
01-16-2013, 12:26 PM

I see this but if you say it wasn't hard for Payne to find a reason to get Mariner out it should be BASIC in finding reasons to get Cochrane out. Case in point this thread! Payne seems like he can sniff out a poseur so if Cochrane stays, hopefully that means he's doing basic admin work and nothing that actually is decision-based with regards to the club.

Phil
01-16-2013, 12:29 PM
Same here.

And as mentioned earlier in this thread.

We are yet to hear anything from the man himself regarding this.

This is all just heresay. (queue the heresay debate in 3...2...1...) g:D

Judging by Paynes response, seems its easy to figure out what was said. Hopefully they sort it out to the benefit of both parties.

Phil
01-16-2013, 12:32 PM
I see this but if you say it wasn't hard for Payne to find a reason to get Mariner out it should be BASIC in finding reasons to get Cochrane out. Case in point this thread! Payne seems like he can sniff out a poseur so if Cochrane stays, hopefully that means he's doing basic admin work and nothing that actually is decision-based with regards to the club.

I think Earl has a role. I can see him blaming the whole Hassli move on Mariner and say he opposed the deal and resigning. Who would be left to argue any of that or produce evidence to the contrary? Anyhow as others have said, its up to Payne to decide what goes on and if he isn't doing damage and gets about the job its no big deal.

jabbronies
01-16-2013, 12:36 PM
So with all this drama being played out, there is potentially a new issues that has arisen. Our Striker situation.

It was assumed Hassli was here to fill in for Koevs until his return. Setting up a potential 1-2 DP striker combo by mid-season.
If Hassli is gone, who will be our number striker? Johnson is gone, who is left?

ensco
01-16-2013, 12:38 PM
We have $1.7 million of cap space tied up in 5 guys (Frings/Koevs/Hassli/ODea/Eckersley), and not one of the 5 is a core player that Payne will build around.

Payne has to be going to war with a bunch of people behind the scenes. Think they're just going to quietly take it?

Get used to these stories.

Ageroo
01-16-2013, 12:40 PM
So with all this drama being played out, there is potentially a new issues that has arisen. Our Striker situation.

It was assumed Hassli was here to fill in for Koevs until his return. Setting up a potential 1-2 DP striker combo by mid-season.
If Hassli is gone, who will be our number striker? Johnson is gone, who is left?

The greatest finisher in modern times will be our #1 :)

Walms
01-16-2013, 12:43 PM

ya beat me to that one!

Gazza
01-16-2013, 12:43 PM
How did we forget the Weedman??

ag futbol
01-16-2013, 12:53 PM
I think Earl has a role. I can see him blaming the whole Hassli move on Mariner and say he opposed the deal and resigning. Who would be left to argue any of that or produce evidence to the contrary? Anyhow as others have said, its up to Payne to decide what goes on and if he isn't doing damage and gets about the job its no big deal.
Not to scare anybody but on the first ever SBI podcast Earl Cochrane was described as our point-man for the MLS draft.

Yohan
01-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Not to scare anybody but on the first ever SBI podcast Earl Cochrane was described as our point-man for the MLS draft.

cockring was giving interviews and stuff too...

Suds
01-16-2013, 01:01 PM
We have $1.7 million of cap space tied up in 5 guys (Frings/Koevs/Hassli/ODea/Eckersley), and not one of the 5 is a core player that Payne will build around.

Payne has to be going to war with a bunch of people behind the scenes. Think they're just going to quietly take it?

This is key right here. While some might debate one of these guys could be a core guy, you cannot have that much money tied up in that many players who will not be the core of the team. Not with the cap where it is anyway.

jabbronies
01-16-2013, 02:39 PM

Not going to lie, but i could care less how he does it or how anyone at TFC do anything. They just need to fucking win and be competitive.
I don't care who they lied to, swindled, made cry in the locker room in front of their teammates...I don't care about the back stories as long as they are winning.

Northern Soul
01-16-2013, 03:11 PM

Jeff Cunningham is coming back? :hide:

DoubleUp
01-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Sent by the league?!!!

We all agree the team belongs to the league and is actually franchised to Bogers, so why is that farfetched??? that the parent entity wouldnt be trying to protect its asset and maintain the integrity of its brand.

Its like If you were running a Macdonalds to a substandard level for several years. Do you not think eventually the parent entity wouldnt step in to protect the integrity of the brand.

ag futbol
01-16-2013, 04:34 PM
We all agree the team belongs to the league and is actually franchised to Bogers, so why is that farfetched??? that the parent entity wouldnt be trying to protect its asset and maintain the integrity of its brand.

Its like If you were running a Macdonalds to a substandard level for several years. Do you not think eventually the parent entity wouldnt step in to protect the integrity of the brand.
This isn't a mcdonalds though, and they don't have less than two dozen franchise owners who are among the heaviest hitters in business in North America. Not to mention those franchise owners are the sole shareholders of the company.

Just take a peak around the league at how dysfunctional some groups are. Their problems might not be in the same direction as ours, but they are every bit as bad if not worse. The league isn't going to step in and tell Chivas their new plan is a disaster, tell bob kraft that he should invest more in his team, or tell DC United to get their stadium situation sorted out some time in the next 50 years. There's a large degree of autonomy.

Looking at how the new MLSE board is changing directions, it's pretty obvious where the change directive came from. I don't doubt that MLS head office probably pointed MLSE in the direction of Kevin Payne but the willingness to change came internally.

MarkEightThree
01-16-2013, 05:01 PM
I still hold to the belief that Bell/Rogers will put all of their efforts into getting winning teams and ending the shitshows that have been the centerpeice of the Toronto sports scene. They have one intention, sell cable and sports TV subscriptions. The only way to do that is with a stable of winning franchises.

DoubleUp
01-16-2013, 05:26 PM
This isn't a mcdonalds though, and they don't have less than two dozen franchise owners who are among the heaviest hitters in business in North America. Not to mention those franchise owners are the sole shareholders of the company.

Just take a peak around the league at how dysfunctional some groups are. Their problems might not be in the same direction as ours, but they are every bit as bad if not worse. The league isn't going to step in and tell Chivas their new plan is a disaster, tell bob kraft that he should invest more in his team, or tell DC United to get their stadium situation sorted out some time in the next 50 years. There's a large degree of autonomy.

Looking at how the new MLSE board is changing directions, it's pretty obvious where the change directive came from. I don't doubt that MLS head office probably pointed MLSE in the direction of Kevin Payne but the willingness to change came internally.

If you have people making media statements about one of your franchise like "Worse team in the world" especially when your still trying to build your brand(MLS), and it hasnt made the playoffs ever in a parity league with the worse record of losses in MLS history.

I think thats a concern to the parent entity.

I think the conversation went like this "let us help or risk losing the franchises because this ballywoo can`t continue", and Bogers not knowing anything about the sport or league anyway said "sure! why not", its a win win situation for us.

I know there are other franchises that were`nt doing so well, but they werent nearly as dysfunctional as us.

But I digress!.

sashavukelich
01-16-2013, 06:52 PM

+1 this

jabbronies
01-16-2013, 07:36 PM

I'd love to know how much say the MLS has in running the franchises. With stories coming out of TFC that the Melberg Deal was thwarted by the MLS; Talks of Don Garber "Stepping in" to give "direction" to a wayward ship on several occasions (hiring of Mo, Klinnsmen, Payne). That wrapped with the fact that teams are now being told they must have SSS to even considered having a future with the league; Teams like LA and NYRB getting special permissions to bend the rules by the league, players that come into the league are owned by the league, not the teams.

I mean I'm sure the day to day is run by the team, but the overall flow and standard that each team must conform to seems to be controlled by MLS. Just like a McDonalds, there's a certain menu of players and salary that every team must serve up - hence the whole notion of parity (is that the correct term?)

ag futbol
01-16-2013, 09:45 PM
I'd love to know how much say the MLS has in running the franchises. With stories coming out of TFC that the Melberg Deal was thwarted by the MLS; Talks of Don Garber "Stepping in" to give "direction" to a wayward ship on several occasions (hiring of Mo, Klinnsmen, Payne). That wrapped with the fact that teams are now being told they must have SSS to even considered having a future with the league; Teams like LA and NYRB getting special permissions to bend the rules by the league, players that come into the league are owned by the league, not the teams.

Natural that people start speculating given the private nature of the league’s rules, but little of this is proven, some of it is really off the wall, and there isn’t anything there doesn’t have an alternate explanation.

I leave plenty of the room for the front office being involved, but without the idea that they are some over-arching helicopter parent who micro-manages everything against the will of the people who actually provide the money for them to operate.

Detroit_TFC
01-16-2013, 10:08 PM
With Larry Tanenbaum on the MLS Executive Committee, I'm skeptical the league is going to do anything that the MLSE Board has an issue with. I know the Mellberg incident may be a counterexample but so much of that is fuzzy, hard to say where the vetoes came from. I think the most direct intervention in team operations recently wasn't at TFC but rather at Columbus, to deal with their tiny season ticket sales base and shaky revenues, and this was done with the approval of Clark Hunt.

khso11
01-16-2013, 11:20 PM
He's a great player, I like him, but the contract extension was stupid (thanks mariner). If he wants to leave, let him go, sign some mutual consent shit, he'll probably won't play with his heart anyway.

Toronto_Bhoy
01-16-2013, 11:21 PM
“We’ll decide where Eric Hassli plays this year. Not Eric Hassli.”

Like. :thumbsup:

Alonso
01-16-2013, 11:33 PM
Judging by Paynes response, seems its easy to figure out what was said. Hopefully they sort it out to the benefit of both parties.

Just to play devils advocate....

Reporter asks Kevin Payne: "What do you have to say about the rumours that Eric Hassli is asking for a trade?"

Kevin Payne responds: "Eric Hassli is under contract for 2013... We’ll decide where Eric Hassli plays this year. Not Eric Hassli."

Does this mean Eric Hassli asked for a trade?

Simple answer.....

No.

I see where you are coming from though. Ives Galarcep has his ear to the ground with tonnes of great sources in MLS and with TFC, but that doesn't mean that any of this is 100% until Eric Hassli confirms it publicly.

I'm just a guy sitting at his keyboard, and until Eric tweets or facebooks something insinuating or corroborating some of this, it's all just heresay really... as far as I'm concerned.

REMEMBER.... Eric hasn't said or started anything regarding this as far as the public is concerned.

He hasn't signed any cheques.... if you will.

Alonso
01-16-2013, 11:44 PM

Yes but as far as other horrid decisions that the man has made such as the Nathan Sturgis trade for effectively one of Jalil Anibaba, CJ Sapong, and Will Bruin, he has no excuses since he was making the call by himself.

To me he comes off as a "yes man" in the worst sense of the term.

WestStandGeoff
01-17-2013, 12:01 AM
I still hold to the belief that Bell/Rogers will put all of their efforts into getting winning teams and ending the shitshows that have been the centerpeice of the Toronto sports scene. They have one intention, sell cable and sports TV subscriptions. The only way to do that is with a stable of winning franchises.

That's been part of my argument ever since Bogers was announced as buying MLSE. I don't think it ends at selling you cable packages though... having Toronto teams in the playoffs means they should expect better TV ratings, which in turn drives up advertising rates. Hell, even being in playoff contention late in the season results in better ratings, so there are potentially millions in added TV revenue alone. I think you're on the right track though - where the teachers were happy to have their steady stream of money flowing in, Bogers has a lot more to gain by putting successful teams on the pitch/ice/court.

Alonso
01-17-2013, 12:03 AM

Not to mention that Garber in no uncertain terms said... "I've been a party to some of the changes that they're going to make, that they hopefully will be able to announce shortly that we are hopeful will get them back on track."

Source: http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/11/26/mls_commissioner_tfc_bold_moves/

The very next day Payne was hired.

What do you think when the GOVERNOR of the league says he has been a party to the changes coming up for TFC? ... which means... that they were part of his (MLS's) direct involvement?

I take him at face value. He couldn't make it more clear. And Garber is a far cry from the MLSE hog wash that we have to put up with as far as being transparent to the fans.

Oldtimer
01-17-2013, 08:22 AM
Not to mention that Garber in no uncertain terms said... "I've been a party to some of the changes that they're going to make, that they hopefully will be able to announce shortly that we are hopeful will get them back on track."

Source: http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/11/26/mls_commissioner_tfc_bold_moves/

The very next day Payne was hired.

What do you think when the GOVERNOR of the league says he has been a party to the changes coming up for TFC? ... which means... that they were part of his (MLS's) direct involvement?

I take him at face value. He couldn't make it more clear. And Garber is a far cry from the MLSE hog wash that we have to put up with as far as being transparent to the fans.

Good find.

Actually, if you look at the history of MLS, the FO is much more heavily involved than in most major sports. Remember, legally MLS is a corporation, and each franchise is legally a subsidiary, with MLS holding a 51% controlling interest. The Commissioner has the powers of a CEO, and can tell every team exactly what to do. MLS owns all of the team brands, the players, the TV rights, the ticket rights. The Commissioner can over-rule any team decision, any signing, etc.

While the previous Commissioner, Doug Logan would sometimes over-use his powers to merely assign particular players to particular teams for various strategic reasons, Garber has shied away from this in recent years and only uses the veto power in his office, with objective, mostly neutral, and clearly defined although arcane rules deciding what teams get what players, etc. Garber prefers to have the franchises operate as mostly independent clubs rather than mere subsidiaries like Logan did. To think he isn't involved in the absolutely most important decisions, however, like who is the President of a team is to misunderstand the nature of MLS, especially when the value of one of their key brands is being eroded by stupidity.

That being said, I'm sure the new owners of ML$E were fully involved in the process as well. They have big plans for their stable of teams, and that involves winning teams, and playoffs (necessary to fill media content). They will do whatever is necessary, including firing some of the "old boys" in order to turn things around. They are not content like Teachers' to just collect the revenue from condo sales and the like.

Initial B
01-17-2013, 09:45 AM
^ Hmm, when you put it that way, perhaps the Board at MLSE (not including Anselmi or anyone associated with TFC, hence their evident confusion at the KP presser) asked MLS to help clean up the mess that was TFC, and thus our pain was transformed into Payne.

ensco
01-17-2013, 09:51 AM
^ Hmm, when you put it that way, perhaps the Board at MLSE (not including Anselmi or anyone associated with TFC, hence their evident confusion at the KP presser) asked MLS to help clean up the mess that was TFC, and thus our pain was transformed into Payne.

Not sure who called who (ie was this initiated by Bogers or MLS?), but I think this is clearly what happened.

Oldtimer
01-17-2013, 10:01 AM

Not sure who called who (ie was this initiated by Bogers or MLS?), but I think this is clearly what happened.

Exactly. Anselmi, Mariner, etc. had no idea until it was a done deal. That seemed quite clear at the presser.

reggie
01-17-2013, 10:11 AM
IVES is saying some big salary unwanted boys may be on the move today..hmmm.

Brooker
01-17-2013, 10:19 AM
What did Eirc Hassli SAY and to WHO?

Oldtimer
01-17-2013, 10:23 AM
IVES is saying some big salary unwanted boys may be on the move today..hmmm.

Bye-bye Hasli?

If TFC can get a first-round draft pick for him, and not have to eat his salary, I'll be happy.

Gazza
01-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Bye-bye Hasli?

If TFC can get a first-round draft pick for him, and not have to eat his salary, I'll be happy.

It will take some wizardry or divine intervention (garber) to not have to eat that salary or at least a good chunk of it.

DoubleUp
01-17-2013, 02:26 PM
I dont understand why hassli would want out when the project is finally starting to look up.:noidea:

gdg_9
01-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Larson: "Payne on expecting Hassli in camp: Eric Hassli has a contract and there are repercussions if conditions of that contract aren't met."

Also says: "Payne told me he expects Hassli in camp just like everyone else."

cmonyoureds
01-17-2013, 02:33 PM
It will take some wizardry or divine intervention (garber) to not have to eat that salary or at least a good chunk of it.

Many times we've looked at other rosters (LA/NYRB) and wondered how they were keeping them together financially......... although this might be the first time in history there's a need for financial concessions to blow up a roster instead of building one.......

Luanda
01-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Yesterday, Nick De Santis apparently stated that: « Hassli est un joueur intéressant pour nous. »

http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/LE_FOOTEUR/posts/153225/public

gdg_9
01-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Yesterday, Nick De Santis apparently stated that: « Hassli est un joueur intéressant pour nous. »

GOOGLE TRANSLATE:

Nick De Santis: <<Hassli is an interesting player for us.>>

In a conference call from Indianapolis where is the MLS SuperDraft Thursday the technical director of Impact, Nick De Santis, spoke of a possible interest to Eric Hassli Impact former player Marco Schällibaum, which showed earlier this week not wanting to play for TFC.

Click Below to Listen to De Santis:
http://lefooteur.com/2013/01/16/audio-nick-de-santis-hassli-est-un-joueur-interessant-pour-nous/

Yohan
01-17-2013, 04:49 PM
GOOGLE TRANSLATE:

Nick De Santis: <<Hassli is an interesting player for us.>>

In a conference call from Indianapolis where is the MLS SuperDraft Thursday the technical director of Impact, Nick De Santis, spoke of a possible interest to Eric Hassli Impact former player Marco Schällibaum, which showed earlier this week not wanting to play for TFC.

Click Below to Listen to De Santis:
http://lefooteur.com/2013/01/16/audio-nick-de-santis-hassli-est-un-joueur-interessant-pour-nous/

some random rumour that RSL might be interested as well

razor787
01-17-2013, 04:49 PM
So both Kansas and Montreal are interested. Looking good. If he won't play with his heart, we are better off without him. Dropping his cap hit (as a DP its around 325 if im not mistaken) will free up even more cap room for Payne to make some moves. Was hoping to see him and Koev link up, but it sounds as if it's time to part ways.

gdg_9
01-17-2013, 04:56 PM
This is good... when the Hassli story first broke, the general consensus seemed to be that there would be no interest in him within MLS.

Apparently that's not the case.

I could definitely see him ending up in MTL... He's got the language down, and played for their coach in Switzerland

Huyton
01-17-2013, 05:29 PM
So...MLS taketh Mellberg and giveth Payne.

In the long run, that could be a very good trade.

Derko
01-17-2013, 06:33 PM
It really is hearsay until Hassli is moved out and made official. I'll wait for that anouncement when it happens.

moralis
01-17-2013, 06:45 PM
I wouldn't mind trading Hasli to Montreal for Davy Arnoud and Sanna Nayassi or either one of them plus allocation money.

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/players/davy-arnaud

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/players/sanna-nyassi

Ivy
01-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Apparently there are a number of Impact players who requested off the roster as well. I'm starting to smell a player for player trade with MTL.

moralis
01-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Seems like some Montreal Impact players want out:

Nick Sabetti ‏@Nick_Sabetti
Hearing that a few players on the Impact have asked for a transfer. Could be some movement in next week or two #imfc

https://twitter.com/Nick_Sabetti/status/292046545761759232

ag futbol
01-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Apparently there are a number of Impact players who requested off the roster as well. I'm starting to smell a player for player trade with MTL.
I'm guessing the europeans have thoroughly taken over the locker room and that's making the americans slightly uncomfortable.

Gazza
01-17-2013, 07:40 PM
I'm guessing the europeans have thoroughly taken over the locker room and that's making the americans slightly uncomfortable.

All the cigarette smoke and cologne.

ag futbol
01-17-2013, 08:07 PM
All the cigarette smoke and cologne.
That and everything has become sexually ambiguous.

OgtheDim
01-17-2013, 09:50 PM
Either that or they let it slip that a family member is lactose intolerant.

jazzy
01-17-2013, 10:10 PM

get the F%^k out!.....Mr. Sulk, it's important TFC ditch Aholes like this that want out...It's time to end the negativity and let the new breed take over!.....

CommradePolski
01-18-2013, 12:28 AM
Id take Nyassi from limpact in a heart beat.

__wowza
01-18-2013, 04:16 AM
That and everything has become sexually ambiguous.

and everyone refers to the bathroom as the wash closet.

bones
01-18-2013, 10:57 PM
Perhaps he'd like to play with his fellow countryman in NY???

With some of the allocation $$$ that Payne was able to grab, I say pay down Hassli's contract and swap him for Cooper :) Could you imagine Cooper and Koev? damn!

Yohan
01-19-2013, 12:01 PM
according to TFC twitter, Hassli is due to report in later today

tfc2008
01-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Okay, this is a first. A link to an Ives Galarcep story:

Eric Hassli’s kind of an interesting figure at Toronto FC. He’s the guy that Toronto FC (or MLSE) felt nothing about re-upping as a Designated Player almost immediately before the club hired former DC United president Kevin Payne to lead the club. That to me was a plain as day indication that MLSE’s union with Payne was a shotgun wedding, perhaps engineered by Don Garber, because he sometimes has to be that guy.

Hassli was also part and parcel of the reason why Toronto FC were unable to convince Garber to let them have Olof Mellberg last year. Whether or not the club made the final push for Olof before or after nabbing Hassli is the subject of much debate. Which is to say, much debate between the usual ten people.

Anyway, I linked to Ives!

Technorgasm
01-19-2013, 12:48 PM
i know at least one person whos man crush may be effected by thsi news (carts)
i was very surprised to see hasili get a dp spot, but sonsidering his age and his form in the mls at the time, it didunt seem such a risky deal.

i always think we can do better.
and if this joker doesnt want to pull this crest of our city over his heart then pack your bags princess. . we'll find soem nowhere euro league to oplonk you and waste away in.

Technorgasm
01-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Perhaps he'd like to play with his fellow countryman in NY???

With some of the allocation $$$ that Payne was able to grab, I say pay down Hassli's contract and swap him for Cooper :) Could you imagine Cooper and Koev? damn!

cooper is another princess that was on the payroll, and refused to play here.
is there a centre forward, who is under 30, that can score 10+, that wants to play here?

there are some GREAT mins here in the RPB forum
with a much better understanding of thenorth american footy market than me.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A SUGGESTION?

Ron Manager
01-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Obviously wild speculation here but...how about we move Hassli and Nelson brings over an out of favour striker with him? Hoillett as a young DP?
Of course doubtful he'd want to leave the Prem but he doesn't seem to be on anyone's radar right now and MLS would be a place for regular minutes.

Again just wild speculation.

KGH
01-19-2013, 01:37 PM
Maybe you're on to something...

@callitfootball: C. Elliot's people went to TFC again. Was told if he'd been a week earlier they'd have had him on but they'd just done a deal for striker...

Yohan
01-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Maybe you're on to something...

@callitfootball: C. Elliot's people went to TFC again. Was told if he'd been a week earlier they'd have had him on but they'd just done a deal for striker...
who the heck is C. Elliot?

KGH
01-19-2013, 01:42 PM
who the heck is C. Elliot?

Im thinking Calum Elliot

KGH
01-19-2013, 01:43 PM
But I'm more interested in who's been signed

Ivy
01-19-2013, 01:48 PM
A fresh pair of young legs... Filippo Inzaghi?
:)

ag futbol
01-19-2013, 02:24 PM
But I'm more interested in who's been signed
Yeah me too. Striker playing in Lithuania? Smells a lot like mustapha jarju dominating the Belgian second division.