PDA

View Full Version : Redknapp: Nelsen to Toronto by early March

Oldtimer
01-13-2013, 07:30 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/queens-park-rangers/9799122/Queens-Park-Rangers-manager-Harry-Redknapp-courts-Yann-MVila-in-bid-to-avoid-relegation-battle.html

The key point 'Arry makes when talking about Nelsen, besides saying great things about him, is that he is trying to keep him between 4 and 7 more weeks, which would means he would arrive by early March, at latest.

PopePouri
01-13-2013, 08:24 PM
In time for the start of the season. Fair enough.

Richard
01-13-2013, 09:03 PM
In time for the start of the season. Fair enough.

Pre-Season?

Is his assistant going to evaluate the training camps?

bman27
01-13-2013, 09:09 PM
You would think it was 1955 by the way some people are talking. If you don't think Nelsen won't know exactly what is going on in training camp you are naive. I'm sure he will be getting reports as often as he wishes, not to mention video footage and so on. sure he is going to be relying on the staff but I'm sure he will be in control of the whole thing

PopePouri
01-13-2013, 09:30 PM
He's is constant correspondence with O'Leary.

Oldtimer
01-13-2013, 09:54 PM
He's is constant correspondence with O'Leary.
That's true, on the Fan590 soccer show, he (O'Leary) said they talk 3 hours per day.

Yohan
01-13-2013, 10:03 PM
That's true, on the Fan590 soccer show, he (O'Leary) said they talk 3 hours per day.

their wives must be jealous!

notthesun
01-13-2013, 10:38 PM
I'll say it again, his comments at the press conference and in subsequent interviews indicated to me that he's really looking to be here in time for the start of the season. I still think he will be... at worst he'll miss the first 2 games.

v00d00daddy
01-14-2013, 10:19 AM
You would think it was 1955 by the way some people are talking. If you don't think Nelsen won't know exactly what is going on in training camp you are naive. I'm sure he will be getting reports as often as he wishes, not to mention video footage and so on. sure he is going to be relying on the staff but I'm sure he will be in control of the whole thing

I've been avoiding this topic for a while now but I can't any longer.

Maybe...just maybe people are leery of this appointment because of TFC's history.

You'd think it was 2007 and we hadn't endured 6 seasons of garbage only to be told that our next coach has never been a coach before and won't see the players he's going to be choosing game in and game out until the season has already started. Watching videos of training and talking to his assistant coach doesn't come close to being there in person and evaluating players for himself.

It's fine to be optimistic, but to question peoples uneasy feelings about the strange circumstances surrounding the hiring of our new coaching staff is ridiculous.

If I had told you at the end of the season that our next coach would be appointed by a president with tons of respect and experience in MLS BUT he'd be a guy that has never coached before and won't be around the team until the season has already started I'm sure you'd ask me what I was smoking.

Cautious optimism is not something that this club has earned from me.

For me, we've reached the days of this club having to prove every little thing to me and then some before I show optimism.

And this hiring hasn't started things off on the right foot.

ensco
01-14-2013, 12:30 PM
^I like the Nelsen move, but this is very fair.

mowe
01-14-2013, 12:44 PM

For me, we've reached the days of this club having to prove every little thing to me and then some before I show optimism.

Nailed it. The structure of this signing is unprecedented and fans have every right to be skeptical.

TOBOR !
01-14-2013, 12:45 PM
I dunno.

If my wife and I talked three hours a day our kids would be orphans.

edit : @ Yohan

Detroit_TFC
01-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Nailed it. The structure of this signing is unprecedented and fans have every right to be skeptical.

For sure, hard to argue with that. But IMO this is a different kind of crazy perhaps, so that is both refreshing and alarming at the same time. I'm on board, but a lot has to go right to make this work, won't take much wrong to make things very difficult for everyone.

Oldtimer
01-14-2013, 12:52 PM
^I like the Nelsen move, but this is very fair.

Agreed.

No one can be blamed for being skeptical. I think it really is a new day, however. Payne is someone in charge who finally has credibility, and Anselmi doesn't seem to have any real powers anymore; rather he is just the "public face" of Boger's moves.

skypilot69
01-14-2013, 02:09 PM

Maybe...just maybe people are leery of this appointment because of TFC's history.

You'd think it was 2007 and we hadn't endured 6 seasons of garbage only to be told that our next coach has never been a coach before and won't see the players he's going to be choosing game in and game out until the season has already started. Watching videos of training and talking to his assistant coach doesn't come close to being there in person and evaluating players for himself.

It's fine to be optimistic, but to question peoples uneasy feelings about the strange circumstances surrounding the hiring of our new coaching staff is ridiculous.

If I had told you at the end of the season that our next coach would be appointed by a president with tons of respect and experience in MLS BUT he'd be a guy that has never coached before and won't be around the team until the season has already started I'm sure you'd ask me what I was smoking.

As a SSH from day 1, I really appreciate your comments and couldn't agree with you more!

Well put!

This is a huge risk! I just really hope this turns out well for us or we'll be behind the 8 ball real early!

ALL 4 ONE

sp69

Richard
01-14-2013, 06:16 PM

Great post. You have conveyed my thoughts perfectly.

DOMIN8R
01-14-2013, 07:59 PM

This is very valid. Still - I try to be optimistic. But this situation between the coach/player and the assistant coach hired seems more than a little suspect. Having said that, please don't ask who's my daddy.

Technorgasm
01-15-2013, 08:32 AM
This is very valid. Still - I try to be optimistic. But this situation between the coach/player and the assistant coach hired seems more than a little suspect. Having said that, please don't ask who's my daddy.

I don't see any other option BUT to be optimistic.
Weather TFC has earned it or not.
I'm going to be investing a significant portion of my summer (and resources) in watching this shite, and damn hell I am going to fucking ENJOY myself.
If the product on the field continues to be a let down, my only saving grace is our performance in the stands makes up for it.

As I see it, we support the team for each other, not for the current personnel. . . they'll change week to week, year to year.
we wont (or at least I hope not)

jabbronies
01-15-2013, 10:06 AM
I don't see any other option BUT to be optimistic.
Weather TFC has earned it or not.
I'm going to be investing a significant portion of my summer (and resources) in watching this shite, and damn hell I am going to fucking ENJOY myself.
If the product on the field continues to be a let down, my only saving grace is our performance in the stands makes up for it.

As I see it, we support the team for each other, not for the current personnel. . . they'll change week to week, year to year.
we wont (or at least I hope not)

Great Post!

Technorgasm
01-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Ryan Nelsen will play his last game for QPR at home to Manchester City next week
Ryan Nelsen is to start work as the coach of Toronto FC on 1 February and will play his last game for QPR next week.
The 35-year-old central defender was given his new job on 8 January and QPR fans have been waiting to hear when he will depart for Canada.
The New Zealand international, who moved to west London from Tottenham last summer, will make his final appearance for the Premier League's bottom side at home to Manchester City (http://topics.skysports.com/Manchester+City/?section=football)http://static.lingospot.com/spot/image/spacer.gif next Tuesday.
The news is a blow to QPR's hopes of retaining their Premier League status, with Nelsen (http://topics.skysports.com/Ryan+Nelsen/?section=football)http://static.lingospot.com/spot/image/spacer.gif having been one of their outstanding performers this season.
Upon learning Nelsen was to depart at some stage, QPR boss Harry Redknapp said: "The longer he's here, the better for us, because he's a fantastic player, a great person and a top professional.
"We need him around as long as we possibly can, so hopefully we can keep him for most of the season."
But after Saturday's 1-1 draw at West Ham, Redknapp said: "We're going to lose him unfortunately."
Toronto FC have never reached the Major League Soccer play-offs and finished with a franchise-worst 5-21-8 record last season.
They have already begun their pre-season training camp and their 2013 season kicks off at Vancouver on 2 March.

Gazza
01-22-2013, 04:20 PM
I wonder how hard he'll kick himself if we go 1-9 and he gets fired? Giving up on a premier league team that he's a main contributor to seems like career suicide.

I hope for the best, but expect the worst when it comes to this team. At least it shows he is dedicated to us.

Yohan
01-22-2013, 04:26 PM
I wonder how hard he'll kick himself if we go 1-9 and he gets fired? Giving up on a premier league team that he's a main contributor to seems like career suicide.

I hope for the best, but expect the worst when it comes to this team. At least it shows he is dedicated to us.
at best if Nelsen stayed in QPR, he'd last till June. He's said concerns about his injuries and he is old. He seems really set on retiring and move into managing, whether in Toronto or elsewhere.

Gazza
01-22-2013, 04:33 PM
at best if Nelsen stayed in QPR, he'd last till June. He's said concerns about his injuries and he is old. He seems really set on retiring and move into managing, whether in Toronto or elsewhere.

Following his season this year, he seems like an integral part of QPR. If they stay up, it will have a bit to do with him, so i see him sticking around for at least another season.

I understand that if he has his heart set on being a pro manager for the rest of his career, this is a good opportunity for him. I guess it's just tough for me (on the outside looking in) to envisage someone getting out of a premier contract before the season is up to come to this mess.

denime
01-22-2013, 04:35 PM

I wonder how hard he'll kick ass from every single player who does not perform on daily basis?

denime
01-22-2013, 04:37 PM
i don't see any other option but to be optimistic.
Weather tfc has earned it or not.
I'm going to be investing a significant portion of my summer (and resources) in watching this shite, and damn hell i am going to fucking enjoy myself.

as i see it, we support the team for each other, not for the current personnel. . . They'll change week to week, year to year.
We wont (or at least i hope not)

qft

great post !!

Yohan
01-22-2013, 04:50 PM
I wonder how hard he'll kick ass from every single player who does not perform on daily basis?
slide tackle from an EPL defender is one way to ensure that a lesson sticks... lol

Gazza
01-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Once again, why isn't he a player coach?! Dan Dunleavy asked that today right?

Auzzy
01-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Following his season this year, he seems like an integral part of QPR. If they stay up, it will have a bit to do with him, so i see him sticking around for at least another season.

I understand that if he has his heart set on being a pro manager for the rest of his career, this is a good opportunity for him. I guess it's just tough for me (on the outside looking in) to envisage someone getting out of a premier contract before the season is up to come to this mess.

Nelsen has made it clear a couple of times ("glass knees & glass ankles" quote) that he was not planning to continue playing after this season. This job at TFC gives him an opportunity to slide right into his next role. I suppose he knows Payne well enough to believe, despite all the past disasters at TFC, that this gig will kickstart his coaching career, rather than kill it from the start.

Oldtimer
01-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Nelsen has made it clear a couple of times ("glass knees & glass ankles" quote) that he was not planning to continue playing after this season. This job at TFC gives him an opportunity to slide right into his next role. I suppose he knows Payne well enough to believe, despite all the past disasters at TFC, that this gig will kickstart his coaching career, rather than kill it from the start.

If you go by TFC history, he'll end up ending his coaching career.
If you go by Payne's history, he'll be a solid coach, maybe a cup winner.
Which will win out?

Gazza
01-22-2013, 05:11 PM
Depends on how long of a leash Payne has.

OgtheDim
01-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Depends on how long of a leash Payne has.

A longer one then Anselmi and the Leafs new boss.

Payne is the new guy, brought in by this board. He'll be given at least 3 seasons to figure it out. I suspect Nelson will have until the middle of next season to work out or not.

Alonso
01-22-2013, 06:49 PM
A longer one then Anselmi and the Leafs new boss.

Payne is the new guy, brought in by this board. He'll be given at least 3 seasons to figure it out. I suspect Nelson will have until the middle of next season to work out or not.

I think that for sure, he has 2 years minimum barring any major catastrophes.

JayMolly
01-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Looks like he will be here in February. Okay with me . . . let's get the new players and the new coaches together asap. A new seaon just around the corner. Let's go TFC!

ManUtd4ever
01-22-2013, 07:23 PM
Well, the timing of Nelsen's arrival will certainly make the optics of his hiring more palpable.

Yohan
01-22-2013, 07:53 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/01/22/full-time-job-nelsen-set-take-reins-tfc-feb-1

Nelsen will be with TFC until Sat, back with QPR to be possibly in lineup for game vs Man City on 29th, then back with TFC.

jazzy
01-22-2013, 09:03 PM
I think that for sure, he has 2 years minimum barring any major catastrophes.

this has to be the case...it’s what I would like. I mean most here were hating on the team this season and saying it’s lost. So I see no reason to be harsh on this years results. I only hope for some class and respect on the field. Ok sure hopefully I’m entertained as well. Nelson is all class and I’ll show him the same.

Auzzy
01-22-2013, 10:48 PM
Nelsen has also just announced he's no longer playing for New Zealand: http://www.voxy.co.nz/sport/ryan-nelsen-ends-all-whites-playing-career/5/145721