PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Nelson on TV this morning...for QPR

Stugatzo
01-12-2013, 07:33 AM
So who's going to be watching QPR v Spurs JUST so you can hear how the commentators talk about the Ryan Nelson/TFC news?
And where will you watch? TSN with Darke and Macca or online for another announcer(s).
It's a huge talking point for Rangers so...
Also, will they say "Nelson is going to coach in America"?
Should be interesting.

tfcleeds
01-12-2013, 08:25 AM
Yep, watching it now. Never thought I'd be so interested in a QPR match, lol.

SKB
01-12-2013, 09:07 AM
QPR is not a very good team but Ryan is very smart in the back 4. He will help TFC's back line.

flamehawk
01-12-2013, 09:34 AM
I still haven't figured out if it's better for us if QPR loses or wins

tfcleeds
01-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Solid match for Nelsen. I say it's better for them to win - if they can get a run going, better chance of him being let go.

flamehawk
01-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Was it just me or did I just hear the ESPN commentator say this was the last match for Nelsen, though Redknapp would like him to stay.

Stugatzo
01-12-2013, 10:32 AM
@SKB...he's not playing for us, unfortunately. he's our head coach yet mysteriously isn't arriving until possibly as late as May.
The commentators seem to be as in the dark as everyone else about when he's arriving.
How you can have a coach arrive well into the season is beyond me, but that's how it's looking.

Belfast_Boy
01-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Was it just me or did I just hear the ESPN commentator say this was the last match for Nelsen, though Redknapp would like him to stay.

Heard the same thing. What's up with that?

Toronto
01-12-2013, 11:38 AM
QPR is not a very good team but Ryan is very smart in the back 4. He will help TFC's back line.

So a player coach is it? aided by a NCAA Division 3 coach from Maine.

Lucky Strike
01-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Watched the match this morning. I recalled the commentators saying this was "perhaps" (or some word that indicates uncertainty) his last for QPR. Also saw what Nelsen meant by he's playing on glass knees and ankles. While he performed very well and picked up the MOTM (though it should have gone to Hill or Derry - maybe they gave Nelsen the award knowing it was his last match?) he looked in difficulty out there physically.

Fort York Redcoat
01-13-2013, 11:27 AM

There's been no confirmation of him playing for us.

FluSH
01-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Watched the match this morning. I recalled the commentators saying this was "perhaps" (or some word that indicates uncertainty) his last for QPR. Also saw what Nelsen meant by he's playing on glass knees and ankles. While he performed very well and picked up the MOTM (though it should have gone to Hill or Derry - maybe they gave Nelsen the award knowing it was his last match?) he looked in difficulty out there physically.

Couldn't wake up int time to see the match... Thanks for this

Chevy
01-13-2013, 02:00 PM
There's been no confirmation of him playing for us.

I think he's coming over as a Manager and nothing else, but if he did play what would count against the cap? His Manager salary or some other agreed upon dollar value?

SKB
01-13-2013, 06:24 PM

As was noted above he is only coaching. What I meant by helping our back line was in terms of his knowledge of the position and passing that a long in terms of coaching.

tfcleeds
01-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Guess QPR missed Nelsen today - they lost 4-2 in the FA Cup to Milton Keynes Dons. Ouch.

jazzy
01-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Guess QPR missed Nelsen today - they lost 4-2 in the FA Cup to Milton Keynes Dons. Ouch.

ya he must feel like crap....he does have a lot of class and doesn't like leaving like that. and I feel QPR are also showing a lot of class

burlington Red
01-29-2013, 11:13 AM

He probbaly wouldn't have played anyway, in fairness to QPR they had their 2nd string out in that game. Considering how bad their first string is, you can imagine how poor they were. QPR need a cup run like they need a hole in the head, they need to bust a gut to retain their PL status with no other distractions. I am hearing also now that old rubber face Redknapp was made well aware in advance that Nelson was looking into the possibility of coaching and that a Jan departure was always potentially on the cards.

daner90
01-29-2013, 03:15 PM
QPR vs Man City is on sportsnet right now. Announcers just said Nelson is expected to start with TFC on Friday but QPR is trying to get him to stay and play against Norwich on Saturday.

The saga continues...

ManUtd4ever
01-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Oy...

Ajax TFC
01-29-2013, 03:40 PM
'Arry's really pissing me off now. TFC stayed respectful of QPR by keeping their mouths shut about when Nelsen would be coming here. Now I'd expect 'Arry to have some respect for our organization and fuck off.

nfitz
01-29-2013, 04:06 PM
'Arry's really pissing me off now. TFC stayed respectful of QPR by keeping their mouths shut about when Nelsen would be coming here. Now I'd expect 'Arry to have some respect for our organization and fuck off.TFC kept their mouths shut? If so it must be by a technique of putting ones hands in front of their mouth while they were talking. They weren't exactly subtle when they were hinting left, right, and centre, that they expected to get him long before his contract ended at the end of June.

And surely TFC should be the ones who should fuck off here. Nelson is integral to QPR's defence, and QPR is in a relegation battle that they have hope in. The last thing they should be doing is letting Nelson go. It's not in their best interest. I'm not convinced that TFC, despite claims to the contrary, have actually shown QPR respect ... and I'm not sure why respect should be shown to TFC, simply because TFC announced that he was coming here ... surely QPR should have been the one to make an announcement about the date - not TFC.

Gazza
01-29-2013, 04:08 PM
It's all smoke and mirrors from Arry. They just put Anton Ferdinand on loan. Arry needs the optics to look good for the fans.

notthesun
01-29-2013, 04:13 PM
'Arry's really pissing me off now. TFC stayed respectful of QPR by keeping their mouths shut about when Nelsen would be coming here. Now I'd expect 'Arry to have some respect for our organization and fuck off.

Couldn't agree more.

wesvahr
01-29-2013, 04:18 PM
Perhaps Nelson should take a red card in second half stoppage time. Then he doesn't have to worry about playing on Saturday.

Gazza
01-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Rangers fans singing "One Ryan Nelsen" at the end of the game. Looks like a guy who's played his last game for QPR.

Ajax TFC
01-29-2013, 05:13 PM
TFC kept their mouths shut? If so it must be by a technique of putting ones hands in front of their mouth while they were talking. They weren't exactly subtle when they were hinting left, right, and centre, that they expected to get him long before his contract ended at the end of June.
I'd like to see a link to where anyone at TFC suggested that Nelsen would be here before June. From what everyone was writing - both here and in the media - after the presser, the general feeling seemed to be that we likely wouldn't get him until well into the season. And I didn't hear anything from them either that suggested that QPR was going to let him go.

And surely TFC should be the ones who should fuck off here. Nelson is integral to QPR's defence, and QPR is in a relegation battle that they have hope in. The last thing they should be doing is letting Nelson go. It's not in their best interest. I'm not convinced that TFC, despite claims to the contrary, have actually shown QPR respect ... and I'm not sure why respect should be shown to TFC, simply because TFC announced that he was coming here ... surely QPR should have been the one to make an announcement about the date - not TFC.

TFC wouldn't have officially announced Nelsen's arrival date unless it was agreed upon by the team that he's currently contracted to. To go back on that and publicly state that you're trying to convince him to put off his new job just to play one more game is unprofessional and disrespectful to TFC who need him in training camp. It's disrespectful because 'Arry is acting as if TFC is just Nelsen's retirement project that can be put on hold and not a legit next job.
And IIRC, it was Nelsen himself who said that he would be here on Feb 1. And why should QPR make the announcement if it was agreed upon?

PopePouri
01-29-2013, 05:21 PM
If this was his last game, it was a great way to end his career. A clean sheet against Man City? Can't get much better than that for a defender.

ag futbol
01-29-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm not sure about what the legal implications are here, but I would strongly suspect TFC heavily has QPR by the balls. Doubt they can stop Nelsen from retiring as a player and going behind the bench, for whatever reason he chooses. So while this is being framed as "letting him go", I would suspect "let" has nothing to do with it. It's all about RN and what he feels his obligations are.

AlanO
01-29-2013, 05:42 PM
Didn't QPR poach a couple of prospects from TFC's academy last year?

If so - karma's a bitch, innit?

bigredone
01-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Only in TFC land can these conversations exist. Thank god for WCQ in March.

ensco
01-29-2013, 05:45 PM
I'm not sure about what the legal implications are here, but I would strongly suspect TFC heavily has QPR by the balls. Doubt they can stop Nelsen from retiring as a player and going behind the bench, for whatever reason he chooses. So while this is being framed as "letting him go", I would suspect "let" has nothing to do with it. It's all about RN and what he feels his obligations are.

It's not TFC that has anybody by the balls, it's that world football (indeed all of sports) has a culture of allowing people to break contracts in circumstances that involve a promotion (assistant going to manager being the common example). I've never seen it challenged (thoiugh I predict someone will post an example now!)

But I agree with the gist of what you say. Nelsen holds the cards.

Yohan
01-29-2013, 05:55 PM
It's not TFC that has anybody by the balls, it's that world football (indeed all of sports) has a culture of allowing people to break contracts in circumstances that involve a promotion (assistant going to manager being the common example). I've never seen it challenged (thoiugh I predict someone will post an example now!)

But I agree with the gist of what you say. Nelsen holds the cards.
does QPR have a case to get some sort of compensation from TFC? Like how teams have to pay another team compensation for poaching a manager? I realize player retiring to becoming a manager is a bit different.

I think both sides made it clear what they want to happen, but it's now a big exercise in PR esp at QPR vs British media. TFC also don't want to come out looking a villain and ruin reputation.

backbeat
01-29-2013, 05:55 PM
Good god i'd LOVE to see Nelson in a TFC shirt the way he played today!! I really don't blame 'Arry for doing and saying anything for him to stay...he was a beast out there...

dantdot
01-29-2013, 06:54 PM
http://i.imgur.com/gj08oY9.jpg

brad
01-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Pretty sure there would only be an issue if Nelsen was to play. His contract with QPR is a players contract. He is retiring as a player.

Petor
01-29-2013, 09:30 PM
http://i.imgur.com/gj08oY9.jpg

Pretty powerful picture, you can see how happy they are for him, lots of respect from his team mates.
I have a feeling that we are getting one special person as a coach.
Will he succeed?
We will see.
As of right now I like what I see.

jazzy
01-29-2013, 10:18 PM
Only in TFC land can these conversations exist. Thank god for WCQ in March.

so true....why I'm not sure but I knew he would be here earlier prob mid feb and I'm no expert..It was hinted at by many and in England also.And Harry has been great I feel. He never said FO, simply praised the class of the man....love the way we treat professionals so disrespectfully. we have a very distinguished and classy coach who wants to be here. How refreshing , hopefully when he hits some roadblocks we are patient. I wonder if Toronto fans have it in them. I'm beginning to wonder.

Couchy81
01-29-2013, 11:04 PM
we have a very distinguished and classy coach who wants to be here. How refreshing , hopefully when he hits some roadblocks we are patient. I wonder if Toronto fans have it in them. I'm beginning to wonder.

I'm starting to think it's not the fans who need to be more patient. Management needs to follow through with a plan, regardless of fan opinions.. There will always be fans in opposition from day 1.

nfitz
01-30-2013, 01:09 AM
I'd like to see a link to where anyone at TFC suggested that Nelsen would be here before June.Tough to do without reviewing all the tape in the last month ... but pretty sure that either Rongen or Dichio made some pretty direct comments on Soccer Central one night ... and I thought Payne had made some comments just after the initial announcement to try and take the edge off what the media was saying, to deaf ears ...

Ajax TFC
01-30-2013, 01:24 AM
Tough to do without reviewing all the tape in the last month ... but pretty sure that either Rongen or Dichio made some pretty direct comments on Soccer Central one night ... and I thought Payne had made some comments just after the initial announcement to try and take the edge off what the media was saying, to deaf ears ...
hmm. I didn't hear those interviews, but if what you say is true, than it might change things a little. But from what I remember, it seemed like the majority of positive comments (from a TFC perspective) were coming from England rather than Toronto. The vibe coming from the TFC FO seemed very "don't hold your breath", whereas the comments from QPR about Nelsen leaving started before he was even announced as the new TFC coach

Yohan
01-30-2013, 01:32 AM
Tony Fernandes ‏@tonyfernandes (https://twitter.com/tonyfernandes)
Thank you ryan nelsen. You have been an absolute star. Wish you good luck in your new role.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21255960

Nelsen, 35, received a standing ovation at Loftus Road after the draw with Manchester City - his final game in English football before becoming full-time coach of Major League Soccer club Toronto FC from 1 February.
Redknapp said: "I tried to sign Ryan Nelsen many times over the years when he was at Blackburn. I finally got him on a free at Tottenham and he is a top pro, a top guy and I wish him well.
"I am sure he will be a success in his new career."

brad
01-30-2013, 08:33 AM
I'm starting to think it's not the fans who need to be more patient. Management needs to follow through with a plan, regardless of fan opinions.. There will always be fans in opposition from day 1.

Pretty much. While the has been an outlier or two where a bad team goes from bad to good in a single offseason (NYRB comes to mind), most good teams take a few years to put together.

The real fire-test of MLSE's resolve is going to be what happens at the end of the season - if we are poor this year and season tickets erode further. This is not the first time that we have been promised a long term vision and we know how that has ended.

brad
01-30-2013, 08:36 AM
hmm. I didn't hear those interviews, but if what you say is true, than it might change things a little. But from what I remember, it seemed like the majority of positive comments (from a TFC perspective) were coming from England rather than Toronto. The vibe coming from the TFC FO seemed very "don't hold your breath", whereas the comments from QPR about Nelsen leaving started before he was even announced as the new TFC coach

It was on Sportnet and I beleive TSN around the time of the draft. I saw them. They explicitly said he'd been here Feb 1st - pretty sure Payne said it directly. Apparently he might play one last game with QPR on Saturday and arrive on Sunday.

prizby
01-30-2013, 09:06 AM
surely QPR should have been the one to make an announcement about the date - not TFC.

TFC didn't make the announcement of the date...Ryan Nelsen did

nfitz
01-30-2013, 10:25 AM
TFC didn't make the announcement of the date...Ryan Nelsen didAt a TFC media event. It should have occurred at QPR.

Still, it looks as though this is now a past-issue (though has QPR actually made an official announcement - they did everything else but yesterday, or are we going to see Nelsen in the line-up against Norwich on Saturday?). Did Redknapp say anything in his post-game interview - I didn't record it.

Nelsen must be thrilled to be going out on a high. He's looked spectacular in his matches this month. I'm surprised he's not tempted to try and play a little more in Toronto.

bigredone
01-30-2013, 10:32 AM

Except for Dunfield's personal development plan, we in the TFC stands have not seen many plans come to fruition. We bitch, but they need to be solid and stick to it or risk seeming ballsless (new word?)

I am happy with R.N. and can look past these last few weeks of a headless TFC only if we can have a CONSISTENT FULL SEASON. I am not the most die hard fan, probs the least on these boards, but the perils of TFC are so numerous that even grandmas are rolling their eyes.

R.N. has walked into slimer and is now covered in the goo, poor guy. But, thank you R.N. and good luck!

Ajax TFC
01-30-2013, 11:58 AM
Except for Dunfield's personal development plan, we in the TFC stands have not seen many plans come to fruition.
and that plan has clearly failed.

Dbl_D
01-30-2013, 12:07 PM
can we keep him for more than 2yrs plz ;)

tfcmanu
01-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Samba set to join QPR relegation fight: Nelsen's Replacement

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/premierleague/story/qpr-meets-release-clause-for-anzhi-makachkala-defender-christopher-samba-013013?pk_campaign=twitter&pk_kwd=gesm

brad
01-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Nelsen must be thrilled to be going out on a high. He's looked spectacular in his matches this month. I'm surprised he's not tempted to try and play a little more in Toronto.

Unless QPR negotiated a transfer or outright released him it would not be possible. A player can retire and pursue other avenues (such as coaching) but not other playing options.

Imagine the can of worms that would open if it was allowable...

nfitz
01-30-2013, 05:03 PM
Unless QPR negotiated a transfer or outright released him it would not be possible. A player can retire and pursue other avenues (such as coaching) but not other playing options.

Imagine the can of worms that would open if it was allowable...I'd assume that he'd only be bound as long as his original contract lasted. So if his QPR contract was to terminate July 1st (not sure if that's true or if there were options, etc.), then he couldn't play for us until July 1st ... but not sure what would stop him after.

The operative word here is "assume". I'm no lawyer ... I only play one on the Internet.

Yohan
01-31-2013, 11:02 AM
QPR signed a South Korean fullback Yun Suk Young and CB Christopher Samba, so should be no question about Nelsen not return to TFC now