PDA

View Full Version : Marco Schallibaum or Ryan Nelsen?

Damien
01-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Who would you rather have at the helm?

Oldtimer
01-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Marco's the Limpact's new coach.

tfcleeds
01-08-2013, 12:53 PM
I'm willing to take a chance on someone who may not have the preferred amount of experience, but who, from all accounts, has the type of qualities we are looking for and has 'potential', over yet another manager that has no experience in MLS whatsoever, either as a player or manager. So Nelsen it is.

ag futbol
01-08-2013, 01:51 PM
I think this topic needs to be widened to something more like: if TFC was to hire someone else besides Nelsen, who would it be?

Personally, I'm not sure who would fit the bill that's out there to be had. I look down the list of names and the only one I'd take a flyer on is Jesse Marsch, but even he has an element of uncertainty to him. If we move past the short term problems that are associated with hiring Nelsen, I think he's potentially an excellent hire.

Ivy
01-08-2013, 02:37 PM
I think this topic needs to be widened to something more like: if TFC was to hire someone else besides Nelsen, who would it be?

I think a question a lot of people are ignoring, is that WHO, if not Nelsen, would WANT to be hired as a coach by TFC - a team that goes through more coaches than seasons.

TFC07
01-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Neither. I rather hire Stephen Hart over those two.

nfitz
01-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Who would you rather have at the helm?At the helm, or phoning it in from the locker room at Loftus Road or Auckland?

Ultra & Proud
01-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Not that I understand why we have to always compare what we do with what Montreal does but I will say this; I watched all of our presser and some of theirs yesterday. Our pressers most mentioned points about Nelsen were his professionalism, his hard work, and how he was a long term target to advance management. The number one most mentioned thing in theirs was that Schallibaum spoke English, French, and Italian fluently so he can easily communicate with the fans as well as the teams veteran players.

So I guess it's all in what you look for in a manager. Inexperience mixed with hard work and professionalism or experience mixed with great translator skills. I take Nelsen.

Cashcleaner
01-10-2013, 12:05 AM
^ I was talking to a guy at work who also happens to be an Impact fan and I said pretty much the same thing. Another thing people should be aware of - Schallibaum has ZERO experience in North America. He never played or coached here; whereas Nelsen played 3 seasons in the NCAA followed by 4 years with DC under Kevin Payne.

Nelsen is the winner.

Super
01-10-2013, 12:27 PM
^ I was talking to a guy at work who also happens to be an Impact fan and I said pretty much the same thing. Another thing people should be aware of - Schallibaum has ZERO experience in North America. He never played or coached here; whereas Nelsen played 3 seasons in the NCAA followed by 4 years with DC under Kevin Payne.

Nelsen is the winner.

Nelsen does have massive upsides. Unlike past coaches we've hired with zero experience, he's actually shown himself to be a true leader on and off the field throughout his career, and also let's not discount the value in Payne's past relationship with the lad. I do have my worries of course, but at the end of the day it will have to play out on the field. If Nelsen fails he will however become yet another name on a long list of names with ZERO head coaching experience. Perhaps THEN it will be time to look for experience vs. rookies.

mowe
01-10-2013, 01:36 PM
I voted Schallibaum for one reason only: he started yesterday. Beginning a season without a head coach is asinine. Maybe Nelson is the second-coming of Mourinho but now is not the time to sign him. You can't have the coach joining the team potentially 3 months into the season. Oh and by the way he's never coached before so he'll be learning on the job. Saying Payne is taking a risk would be the understatement of the century.

At least Schallibaum has a good amount of experience coaching in the Swiss league. He has an established philosophy honed over time. Yes he doesn't have the fabled MLS experience but that can be countered with the right staff around him. Nelson on the other hand will go straight from playing to coaching a team mid-season. This has all the makings of a disaster.

Ultra & Proud
01-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Schallibaum is to being a manager as we are to hiring/firing them. He had 9 managerial positions in 15 years. Lots of jumping around and mostly in one league.

Oldtimer
01-13-2013, 08:16 AM
I predict that Montreal will have a different coach by 2014 season's end, maybe sooner.

Toronto
01-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Two years? That ain't bad. We don't even have one that will attend training camp....

KGH
01-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Two years? That ain't bad. We don't even have one that will attend training camp....

He's here today...

https://twitter.com/Paulbeirne/status/293352464923652096/photo/1

Alonso
01-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Wow, Ryan is going to kill himself if he plans on flying in between EPL games back to Toronto to deal with TFC business....