01-08-2013, 10:19 AM
http://www.torontofc.ca/live

For one of the worst-kept secrets in club history. :D

Greatest Ripoff
01-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Also on GOLTV.

Yohan
01-08-2013, 10:25 AM
lol. Adrian Serioux's angry face is first thing that showed.

stream is live now

Phil
Its started.

Time to play the music, time to light the lights!

So ends this episode of the muppet show.

ouderwien
Perfect timing for me, on break now!

Oldtimer
01-08-2013, 10:31 AM
No Paul Mariner.

Oldtimer
01-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Dawn of a new era-Payne

... and it's confirmed.

TFC07
01-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Who's the bald guy on the left?

Nuvinho
01-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Fran O'Leary?

Oldtimer
01-08-2013, 10:34 AM
keys: leadership qualities and ability to establish the right kind of culture.

I like what I'm hearing.

Oldtimer
01-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Fran O'Leary?

Yes.

Oldtimer
01-08-2013, 10:35 AM
"I love challenges."

Well he'll have them!

TFC07
01-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Thanks.

Nuvinho
01-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Fran O'Leary - Assistant Coach and Director of Recruitment

Yohan
01-08-2013, 10:37 AM
no coaching badges

Nuvinho
01-08-2013, 10:39 AM
"remains an important player of QPR"??

Belfast_Boy
01-08-2013, 10:41 AM
hope it works out for him. to be honest I do have reservations. but eveyone has to start somewhere.

Nuvinho
01-08-2013, 10:44 AM
We don't have a coach maybe til mid May....sweeeeet!!!

ag futbol
01-08-2013, 10:45 AM
I'm confused, when is he joining us? oh boy....

ouderwien
Nelsen most likely will not be on the touchline for the Vancouver game.

Kaz
so we hired a coach that isn't a coach because he is still playing at another club... that seems really messed up.

jabbronies
WOW - Nelsen won't be present for a large portion of the preseason and may not be there for the first match!

Sounds like he won't be here in Toronto until QPR are either officially relegated or moving through to next season!

Suspect....

Oldtimer
Staying a player at QPR for now.

Payne and Co. will handle the draft.

He will join TFC later in the season or after the English season.

I'm impressed with Nelsen's character and dedication.

Belfast_Boy
01-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Fran O'Leary is an Irish soccer coach. He is currently the head men's soccer coach at Bowdoin College (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Bowdoin_College).
From 1989 to 1991, he served as the head men's soccer coach at Elmira College (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Elmira_College), where he posted a 38-11-2 record. From 1992 to 1993, he moved to Kenyon College (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Kenyon_College), where he posted a 32-4-4 record as a head coach. From 1994 to 2000, he was the head men's soccer coach at Dartmouth College (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Dartmouth_College), where he went 56-48-14. From 2001 to 2005, he served as the head men's soccer coach at George Mason University (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/George_Mason_University). He posted a career record of 160-96-32. He started his coaching career as an assistant at Boston College (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Boston_College), and later the University of New Hampshire (http://redpatchboys.ca/wiki/University_of_New_Hampshire).

PopePouri
01-08-2013, 10:49 AM
I'll reserve my judgement now and let the situation play out. If Fran wasn't there, I would be suspicious.

Belfast_Boy
01-08-2013, 10:50 AM
he really has to stop saying that about how the club is run.....

Yohan
01-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Kevin Payne says he turfed Mariner.

Detroit_TFC
01-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Is there a reason I should not freak out how this is getting rolled out? I am having trouble breathing right now.

Oldtimer
01-08-2013, 10:52 AM
PM leaving was 100% Payne's decision. Need for a culture change was the main reason.

Belfast_Boy
01-08-2013, 10:53 AM
who gives a shit about QPR..... they are getting relegated. FFS!

Canary10
01-08-2013, 10:55 AM
This press conference doesn't inspire confidence. This doesn't feel thought out at all.......

PopePouri
01-08-2013, 10:56 AM
I think the most likely situation is that 'Arry will release him. It's the transfer window.

Oldtimer
01-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Payne is talking about the type of culture TFC has needed since day 1 but never had.

Canary10
01-08-2013, 10:58 AM
^ This sounds like a car crash to me.

nfitz
01-08-2013, 10:58 AM
So he's not even available until about 12 games into the season? So if we start on another 9-game losing streak, do we fire Nelsen before he ever gets here?

tfcleeds
01-08-2013, 11:00 AM
On the one hand, it wouldn't be TFC if this situation wasn't at least a bit f**ked up, which it appears to be. OTOH, everything I've read about Nelsen and QPR, especially in regards to 'arry, seems to suggest he'd be willing to let Nelsen leave if need be. So who knows when he could be actually joining us.

JayMolly
01-08-2013, 11:00 AM
I'll reserve my judgement now and let the situation play out. If Fran wasn't there, I would be suspicious.

Yea, Fran O the assistant will be the coach since the new coach isn't a coach and is still under contract to QPR.
Eventually, our new coach will join the trip . . .when? . . . not sure. Hope the team is clear on this new direction.

gracos
01-08-2013, 11:01 AM
I hope Payne keeps his word and trial 5 years, and see if we can keep him on for a longer period

ag futbol
Ok, so it sounds like he'll try to get out earlier if possible but can't guarantee his release.

Press is pretty openly hostile. Where was this when the guy at the podium was a crazy arm-waving foaming-at the mouth winless in 14 idiot?

Canary10
Maybe the more fucked up it is, the better it gets?

flamehawk
01-08-2013, 11:03 AM
I have been excited about the prospect of Nelsen taking over ... but I have to say I am pretty upset at the idea of Nelsen continuing as a footballer at QPR until May. This doesn't look very good in terms of Nelsen's commitment to TFC and TFC's preparations for next season.

Canary10
01-08-2013, 11:05 AM
That was an absolute disaster of a press conference. Be skeptical everyone!

Initial B
01-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Why do I get the feeling that Mariner is the one who actually quit, and Payne is trying to make it sound like its was his idea? I think Mariner found out he wasn't in the long term plans, said "screw that", and left. Now Payne is scrambling and picked up someone from his contact list who was available on short notice.

Isn't it kind of weird that the new Assistant Coach has more Coaching experience than the new Head Coach? Something just feels really odd about this situation.

To be honest, I don't feel MLSE is in control of the franchise anymore, MLS is...

ouderwien
01-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Ok, so it sounds like he'll try to get out earlier if possible but can't guarantee his release.

Press is pretty openly hostile. Where was this when the guy at the podium was a crazy arm-waving foaming-at the mouth winless in 14 idiot?

Agreed, however atleast we can say there will be no more favouritism. Fresh start.

Oldtimer
01-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Payne is taking a huge risk, but one that's paid off for him before.

ManUtd4ever
01-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Well, if it's any consolation, O'leary has a stellar record as a collegiate coach, so hopefully, TFC will be in good hands if Nelsen has to miss part of the season. It is a very unusual situation though.

Canary10
01-08-2013, 11:22 AM
I'd just let the boys figure out where they're playing like in rec. Can't do worse than Mariner.

Detroit_TFC
01-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Why do I get the feeling that Mariner is the one who actually quit, and Payne is trying to make it sound like its was his idea? I think Mariner found out he wasn't in the long term plans, said "screw that", and left. Now Payne is scrambling and picked up someone from his contact list who was available on short notice.

Isn't it kind of weird that the new Assistant Coach has more Coaching experience than the new Head Coach? Something just feels really odd about this situation.

To be honest, I don't feel MLSE is in control of the franchise anymore, MLS is...

You raise a good point, maybe Mariner did quit. No way would anyone choose to roll out these change the way they did today. Seem logical that Nelsen wasn't going to be available until June, Payne told Mariner he was going get sacked or bumped then, he said fuck it, I'm not an interim coach.

ag futbol
01-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Yep, that's fair. Everyone keep their guard up.

BTW, maybe I'm just a grumpy old guy on the wrong side of 25, but reading off your blackberry twitter feed to gauge fan reaction and calling that journalism?

Canary10
01-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Mariner was fired. Payne has a lot of belief in this guy and went (ridiculously) out of his way to sign him.

Belfast_Boy
01-08-2013, 11:32 AM
i don't know what to say... i want to be positive but all I can manage is slightly nervous.

all we can do is wait and see.

Toronto_Bhoy
01-08-2013, 11:34 AM
So TFC now have a coach with:

No coaching badges?
Currently playing for another team in another league?
Won't be here for the preseason or even the first game?

Surely this can't be right? Is today April 1st?

Looks like the shit show continues…:facepalm:

barticusz
01-08-2013, 11:35 AM
I'm not sure why people are upset here. This is what the majority wanted.. that being, Mariner out as coach. That alone is the most positive move this offseason.

Sure it's a messed up situation but that is commonplace around these parts. I'm not surprised, but I'll give Payne/Nelson the benefit of the doubt. He was smart enough to fire Mariner before the season began so that's a positive sign.

Oldtimer
01-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Usually when you take a big risk, either it pays of huge (like with Kreis) or it is a massive failure.
Hopefully we get that massive payoff.

ouderwien
01-08-2013, 11:39 AM
I wonder if Nelsen plans on playing in Brazil in 2014 (if they make it)

Wooster_TFC
01-08-2013, 11:41 AM
You raise a good point, maybe Mariner did quit. No way would anyone choose to roll out these change the way they did today. Seem logical that Nelsen wasn't going to be available until June, Payne told Mariner he was going get sacked or bumped then, he said fuck it, I'm not an interim coach.

Or, Payne knew that Nelsen was his guy, and as he said, is willing to wait a few months to get the guy for the next 5 years. There's no point in letting your guy slip through your fingers because you couldn't wait for him. There's also no point in keeping a guy around that you have no plans for, and intent on sacking in a few months.

Phil
01-08-2013, 11:42 AM
The whole situation is weird. I guess all we can do is buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Ryan does seem to be a good guy, but having been on this merry - go - round before, I have a lot more questions than answers right now.

ag futbol
01-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Mariner was fired. Payne has a lot of belief in this guy and went (ridiculously) out of his way to sign him.
That's really what's holding this up right now. If Kevin Payne wasn't sitting behind this situation with his track record, we'd be pretty nervous. Everybody seems to vouch for the fact this guy is a leader and has high potential. Would that alone be enough for us to be confident if this hire was brought forward by Anselmi or someone similar? Probably not.

rowjimi
01-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Many people wanted change and we got exactly that today. Whether Mariner did not want to be an interim coach until June or not he did not fit in with Payne's plan. Mr. Payne leaves no doubt on who is in charge and that is refreshing. Not sure how the Ryan/Fran thing is going to work but because I wanted a change I am supporting it.

Ajax TFC
01-08-2013, 11:44 AM

I'm under the impression that Mariner's the kind of guy who will do whatever he has to to keep his job. I highly doubt that he's so high in demand (or that he thinks he's high in demand) that he can just quit a job in which he has two more years on contract.

It was a disaster because the media (mainly Nigel Reid) made it a disaster with their loaded questions, and outright brainless questions

Detroit_TFC
01-08-2013, 11:48 AM
It is mindboggling to me why this just wasn't handled in the way every other club in the world would handle this situation. Name an interim coach (O'Leary) then in June Nelsen retires, takes perm position in Toronto. We may have said who the fuck is O'Leary but it wouldn't have been a big deal. Instead we are laughingstocks of MLS and in Europe as this getting press over there.

Greatest Ripoff
01-08-2013, 11:49 AM

Is this going to be Larsen's next article?

Canary10
01-08-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm under the impression that Mariner's the kind of guy who will do whatever he has to to keep his job. I highly doubt that he's so high in demand (or that he thinks he's high in demand) that he can just quit a job in which he has two more years on contract.

It was a disaster because the media (mainly Nigel Reid) made it a disaster with their loaded questions, and outright brainless questions

They were walking in a with a totally baffling situation. Should have been way better prepared than they were.

Canary10
01-08-2013, 11:50 AM
It is mindboggling to me why this just wasn't handled in the way every other club in the world would handle this situation. Name an interim coach (O'Leary) then in June Nelsen retires, takes perm position in Toronto. We may have said who the fuck is O'Leary but it wouldn't have been a big deal. Instead we are laughingstocks of MLS and in Europe as this getting press over there.

Absolutely. Payne doesn't appear to be up for the big time in terms of media spot light. That was cringe-inducing for the most part.

TFC07
01-08-2013, 11:54 AM
If wasn't for Payne's track record, I wouldn't be happy with this situation at all. I feel so underwhelm with this hiring. You know Payne, this isn't DC United; this is Toronto FC (one of richer clubs in MLS). We got money to spend to get a first class manager and better coaching staff. Hopefully for sake of us, this hiring pays off in the end.

glaze
01-08-2013, 11:54 AM
TFC's angle should be that this season is a reboot of the franchise. They gave SSH a return to season 1 pricing, they are starting over with a new management team. The key is selling the idea that this is a building year, and not a playoff year. As such, having the coach arrive a few games in is irrelevant, because it isn't about 2013, but rather 2014 and beyond.
You'd think the PR team would've tried to hammer away at a few key messages along those lines. They have to control the message to spin this perceived negative into a positive.
That said, what should our expectations be for this season?

Canary10
01-08-2013, 12:01 PM
^ Wasn't that the angle in 2010?

If I were them, I'd go with "Stick with us. You'll feel bad if you give up now and we get good sometime."

Greatest Ripoff
01-08-2013, 12:06 PM

Naming a NCAA div III coach wouldn't have been a big deal? The same people losing their minds now would be losing their minds over the appointment of Oleary as head coach. I am happy with this move. It better to take a few months to get the right guy in position than picking the wrong guy because it is more convenient.

ag futbol
01-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Absolutely. Payne doesn't appear to be up for the big time in terms of media spot light. That was cringe-inducing for the most part.
I think they may have let their guard down a little bit. In terms of pressers and major announcements, this isn't our first rodeo.

Not to be dismissive of other markets in the league, but I wonder how many executives would have to worry about such a thing. A few years back I read that FCD lost their last dedicated beat writer from the local daily papers. That's right, not one reporter was going to be assigned to cover the team in it's own city. Other than one or two other places, where else would you see the type of thing we say today play out? The media usually doesn't get out of bed for MLS teams.

Payne has a good media presence, but overall the feeling was they were under prepared. If they had given us more insight on what they want to do tactically, what they were looking for transfer wise, what the goals were going to be for this year (even though this was stated last time) maybe it would have inspired more confidence. It's almost like this was a test and all they did was sign their name at the top and hand back the paper. We're all just a little bit puzzled as to what they've got.

bones
01-08-2013, 12:09 PM
What I don't understand is that they let Mariner/Cochrane solidify contracts and make cuts knowing they were going to change the Coaching staff?

Something just doesn't add up that this was planned.

tfcleeds
01-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Payne always stated that 2013 would be about consolidation and turning the franchise around - that the real playoff push might not happen until 2014. If Nelsen turns out to be the next Jason Kreis, it will be worth it in the end. If not, then this will look about as good as any of our other managerial appointment disasters.

olo114
01-08-2013, 12:12 PM
We get a experienced college coach and Ryan Nelson who seems like a good leader, if we can draft 2 really good players or work out a trade, we should not be in bad shape for next season

Red Rat
01-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Groundhog Day!!

Initial B
01-08-2013, 12:19 PM
TFC's angle should be that this season is a reboot of the franchise. They gave SSH a return to season 1 pricing, they are starting over with a new management team. The key is selling the idea that this is a building year, and not a playoff year. As such, having the coach arrive a few games in is irrelevant, because it isn't about 2013, but rather 2014 and beyond.
You'd think the PR team would've tried to hammer away at a few key messages along those lines. They have to control the message to spin this perceived negative into a positive.
Hey, Paul Bierne is the PR guy, isn't he? That should explain enough. And I can't help but wonder if Cochrane is already starting to undermine Payne by not giving him a heads up that the Toronto Sports Fishbowl is second only to New York in terms of the pressure to perform from the media and fanbase. Well, I'm hoping that will only work once and that now Payne has an inkling of what to expect in the future and will prepare accordingly.

nfitz
01-08-2013, 12:19 PM
It was a disaster because the media (mainly Nigel Reid) made it a disaster with their loaded questions, and outright brainless questionsIt was a disaster because Payne is so green and clueless about dealing with the media, that he sprung that the new coach will be phoning his performances for the first third of the season until the news conference. I doubt Payne has had to deal with media in DC to the same degree he does here.

There's no way you drop that kind of unexpected bombshell, which will surely be an item in the national papers in London tomorrow, during a press conference.

It really does make you wonder if Payne is up for the job. Fortunately he'll be proving whether he's got it on the pitch, rather than in the press room.

phonzo
01-08-2013, 12:22 PM
could be worse...mariner could still be here :)

When you talk to Payne you realize he has a football head on his shoulders and if he's formulated a plan he will stick to it. Now what the fuck this magical plan is or how it ties together we will have to see. I'll give him some benefit of the doubt for now....and lets be honest Nelsen will have to be a yes man the first few months anyways

Couchy81
01-08-2013, 12:22 PM

We are at the bottom already, can't go much lower if at all. I don't think they are laughing, more like saying "who the f do they think they are, signing current contract players from EPL sides to their team before the season is over". Anyways who cares, whatever helps the team is fine with me and this move is definitely an improvement.

Toronto_Bhoy
01-08-2013, 12:25 PM
What this franchise needs right now is to build trust and confidence in it's main stakeholders…the support, sponsors and media. The Kevin Payne move was a step in the right direction, the optics of today's move counter this.

This now throws my faith in Payne into question. This is the best solution you can come up with? Really? Today's presser and announcement is nothing short of shambolic.

Once again this organization has left me scratching my head? Why do they continue to conduct business in this way? I just don't understand it?

Like Phil says, "I've seen this movie before and I don't like how it ends."

Lucky Strike
01-08-2013, 12:25 PM
FWIW, I asked for a favour on Twitter:

@tonyfernandes Will you do a #Caterham (http://redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23Caterham&src=hash) and #TFC (http://redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) fan a solid? Please ask #QPR (http://redpatchboys.ca/search?q=%23QPR&src=hash) to release Ryan Nelsen so he can coach right away-much obliged

Fort York Redcoat
01-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Naming a NCAA div III coach wouldn't have been a big deal? The same people losing their minds now would be losing their minds over the appointment of Oleary as head coach.

This plus more.

Naming O'Leary Interim with no prospect would have naysayers losing their shit.

Payne vs Toronto media? Is that the new story? It sounds like Payne was a little too straight with us supporters. I genuinely think that's who he wants to reach and will let the journos shark when they wanna shark. The media here is just looking for the next tragedy for people to sop up. Sad.

I don't like the situation myself but it's STILL more positive by the subtraction of one piece of last years debacle.

Dreadlocks
01-08-2013, 12:36 PM
I don't really get all the skepticism here. Most wanted a president with pedigree. We got one. Most wanted Mariner gone. He is. Everyone wanted the coaching turn over to stop and it looks like it may have. Had Payne brought in an interim coach and not told anyone that he has a person in mind, everyone would be saying here we go again. So Payne identifies his guy, gets him and puts together what he thinks is a strong support staff around him to hold the fort down until his guy is available.

IMO, it looks like Payne actually planned this which is WAY different than the way things were done previously.

I don't have much of a choice but I trust Payne and his experience.

Do you?

ensco
01-08-2013, 12:37 PM
I find the reaction here completely, totally over the top.

This is who Payne wants. We were competing to get this guy, so we made concessions to get him. 2013 is a writeoff, you know it in your heart, everybody here does. Payne has already said it. So who gives a rat's us if Nelsen is not here until week 2 or whatever.

Who do you all think TFC is? We are the crappiest team in a secondary league. Would you all be happier with a retread from the Swiss second division? Because that's what Montreal got.

I think the Nelsen signing is fantastic.

nfitz
01-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Hey, Paul Bierne is the PR guy, isn't he?I thought Mike Masaro was the PR guy. Was he at the press conference?

Oldtimer
01-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Kreis weighs in on twitter:

@JasonKreis

@AlexiLalas From one with a USSF "A" License: it does not matter! Welcome to Ryan Nelsen - and good luck!

Oldtimer
01-08-2013, 12:41 PM
This now throws my faith in Payne into question. This is the best solution you can come up with? Really? Today's presser and announcement is nothing short of shambolic.

Once again this organization has left me scratching my head? Why do they continue to conduct business in this way? I just don't understand it?

This wasn't planned, I'm sure.

The original rumours were that PM was going to train his replacement, and then be kicked upstairs. He didn't go along with it, forcing Payne to fire him and today's announcement.

Who do you all think TFC is? We are the crappiest team in a secondary league.

We are the worst team in the world :D

Actually, people here act like experienced coaches would be falling over themselves to come here. Guess what? No coach with a solid track record is going to want to come to this club. Your choice is with guys with assistant or lower experience, or guys with character and no experience. Given that Payne has played this game before and won, I'm going to give some space for his judgement.

Dreadlocks
01-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Oh and I'd like to add that I agree that the presser was absolute shit and that they were grossly under prepared. But then again, how do you answer the question, "do you find it odd naming a head coach and are not able to give his starting date?" with anything other than, "yes"?

I really don't care how management presents itself to the media anyway. I care about how management presents itself to the players and how it goes about getting positive results.

ag futbol
01-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Who do you all think TFC is? We are the crappiest team in a secondary league. Would you all be happier with a retread from the Swiss second division? Because that's what Montreal got.

Best line of the day from twitter:

Dave Clark ‏@bedirthan (https://twitter.com/bedirthan) You know that youth team coached by a pro soccer player who can't be at all games because of his career? Toronto FC IS THAT YOUTH TEAM

Anyway, compared to Paul Mariner starting the season... this is still a net positive IMO.

Canary10
01-08-2013, 01:02 PM
I find the reaction here completely, totally over the top.

This is who Payne wants. We were competing to get this guy, so we made concessions to get him. 2013 is a writeoff, you know it in your heart, everybody here does. Payne has already said it. So who gives a rat's us if Nelsen is not here until week 2 or whatever.

I think the Nelsen signing is fantastic.

I agree with this. But they bombed the press conference. Looked as though they prepared for 10 minutes. Think people just need to get the mocking of that out of their system, then will get more serious about looking at the appointment itself.

Detroit_TFC
01-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Naming a NCAA div III coach wouldn't have been a big deal? The same people losing their minds now would be losing their minds over the appointment of Oleary as head coach. I am happy with this move. It better to take a few months to get the right guy in position than picking the wrong guy because it is more convenient.
If Payne explained it as O'Leary joining the staff, holding down the fort until had a chance to move on getting the right guy, I don't think people would have lost it as much.

jimiv
01-08-2013, 01:08 PM
I gotta say I like the change and really, having no coach would probably have a better record than Mariner did.

Mark in Ottawa
01-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Groundhog Day!!
Exactly Right.
A new TFC season ... a new coach with little to no experience dealing with the entity that is MLS.

Same old ... Same old ...

ensco
01-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Exactly Right.
A new TFC season ... a new coach with little to no experience dealing with the entity that is MLS.

Same old ... Same old ...

I find this criticism bizarre. The fact that we historically never had one person in our management setup who really understood MLS, does not mean that we now need every person in our management setup to have these skills.

Understanding MLS is Payne's job.

reggie
we are a better team today...jus because PM and his shorts and his bus are gone...

Oldtimer
Now that we're done discussing the presser itself, we'll continue discussing the coaching change in the appropriate thread:

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?33297-SBI-Nelsen-to-be-named-new-Head-Coach-of-TFC/page5