PDA

View Full Version : SBI - Nelsen to be named new Head Coach of TFC

Pages : 1 [2]

Pendrith
01-09-2013, 07:16 AM
On the bright side, Nelsen can recruit and scout players for TFC while he is still playing for QPR and New Zealand. Oceania soccer market for players haven't been scouted by MLS teams. We could start a trend of Ocenia players coming to MLS.

tfcleeds
01-09-2013, 08:35 AM
Just another thought here too. Too often with our hirings in the past, people came in with preconceived notions about what would work and what wouldn't. And there are some (think Winter especially) who perhaps underestimated this league, and who perhaps thought that by implementing their tactics from abroad they could 'rip this league a new one'. At least with Nelsen - he's a blank slate. He won't have any previous experience that acts as a hindrance when it comes to devising a playing style and tactics that work for this club, in this league. It won't be an issue of failing to adapt, he can see how things work here, and go with the flow. And maybe for once, that's a good thing.

Oldtimer
01-09-2013, 08:48 AM
I'm with you Alonso! I am baffled by the negativity today. Almost to a person, the posters to this board have agreed for a long time that the huge underlying problem has been culture and character. A culture built by Anselmi - a corrupt, incompetent, bureaucratic, political culture that spawned a six year, groundhog day circus. Most agreed - for things to turn around, the major contributors/architects to the culture had to go - Anselmi, Cochrane, Bierne. For many, after a time, Mariner was added to the list.

Today is a great day - a strong, harmful, negative influence is gone (Mariner), and we have added someone with strong character who will add to a positive winning culture for this team. You can dream of a single coach (or player) signing somehow miraculously turning this team around, but it ain't gonna happen until you have the right people in there culturally (and the wrong people out).

Face facts - We are the undisputed, worst team in the world. I don't recall ANYBODY disputing this claim - even among supporters on this board. This signing is as good as it gets (for now).

I think we are one of the worst teams in the world, but we are improving quickly. The culture is changing, and I agree with you that the culture is the key issue. MoJo was never on the same page as his coaches, Anselmi wasn't on the same page as anyone else, the locker room was divided...we have had a disfunctional culture since day 1... that is the actual root of our problems. We had a terrible perception of being both incompetent and unethical... despite all of the huge financial resources of ML$E most people wanted to steer a path around TFC.

I had hoped that Payne would be honest, but I feel he is lying just as much as Anselmi did and that is what is making me angry. MLSE never trusts its fanbase with the truth.

How's my tin-foil hat holding up?

I don't think Payne is lying.... I think your theory is partly right, though. I agree that what happened isn't how things were planned. I think that Mariner refused to go along with Payne's plan so Payne fired him. Cue hasty press conference, etc.

People are naturally very cynical, but Payne really represents a radical change of management, as drastic as RSL experienced when Kreis was hired and the old GM and coach let go. RSL had been the laughing-stock of the league, with a fanbase every bit as cynical as ours. I hope that Payne will succeed, but he's taking the type of approach that I believe is necessary to remake the culture of TFC into a properly functioning organization.

Don't worry about Nelsen's lack of experience, he's not being hired for his technical and squad-selection genius, he's being hired to work with Payne. Payne will make all of the decisions when it comes to building the roster, the new assistant will run all of the training, Nelsen will be there to encourage the lads to play their best, something that we're reading that he's very good at.

ManUtd4ever
01-09-2013, 09:04 AM
The major difference with the new regime compared to previous management teams is that Payne, Nelsen, and O'Leary have extensive familiarity with one another. As others have mentioned, the mere fact that they will all be on the same page moving forward is a refreshing change from the past. This group will work in unison in all key levels of management, which will hopefully reflect the product on the pitch, and create an environment that is conducive to sustainable success.

Furthermore, it seems apparent that Nelsen and O'Leary will be charged with implementing Payne's vision at field level. Payne is still the primary individual responsible for assembling a roster that can execute his vision effectively. If Payne can assemble the talent necessary to compete, it will make the transition period for the new coaching staff that much easier. With the #1 and #3 picks coming up in the draft and cap space available, Payne still has a few moves up his sleeve prior to opening day.

Canary10
01-09-2013, 09:33 AM
If you take the pro-Mariner people at the word that it wasn't Mariner so much as stability, then they should be very happy this morning. It unfolded badly yesterday, but given the longstanding relationship between Ryan Nelsen and Kevin Payne, Nelsen will bring stability. This is the first time I actually somewhat believe that we have a coach who will be here for 3 years.

ag futbol
01-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Just another thought here too. Too often with our hirings in the past, people came in with preconceived notions about what would work and what wouldn't. And there are some (think Winter especially) who perhaps underestimated this league, and who perhaps thought that by implementing their tactics from abroad they could 'rip this league a new one'. At least with Nelsen - he's a blank slate. He won't have any previous experience that acts as a hindrance when it comes to devising a playing style and tactics that work for this club, in this league. It won't be an issue of failing to adapt, he can see how things work here, and go with the flow. And maybe for once, that's a good thing.
The thing you have to like about Nelsen based on his profile is that he's had enough exposure to MLS to understand how things work here, yet at the same time he's moved on to other parts of the world where the game is more sophisticated.

So the hope would be that this guy can adapt / innovate here based on what he's learned. He's not going to be stuck in the past like a MLS 1.0 coach or trying to reinvent the wheel like a european coach with no understanding of the league. He can actually propose new ways to do things and have good judgement as to whether they will work or not because he understands the system and the environment he's trying to place it in.

reggie
01-09-2013, 11:04 AM
he was on the fan this morning....and from the sounds of it,i wouldnt be surprized that he will here sooner then later.

backbeat
01-09-2013, 11:08 AM
he was on the fan this morning....and from the sounds of it,i wouldnt be surprized that he will here sooner then later.

is there a link?

ensco
01-09-2013, 11:09 AM
The thing you have to like about Nelsen based on his profile is that he's had enough exposure to MLS to understand how things work here, yet at the same time he's moved on to other parts of the world where the game is more sophisticated.

So the hope would be that this guy can adapt / innovate here based on what he's learned. He's not going to be stuck in the past like a MLS 1.0 coach or trying to reinvent the wheel like a european coach with no understanding of the league. He can actually propose new ways to do things and have good judgement as to whether they will work or not because he understands the system and the environment he's trying to place it in.

This is it. That, and the fact that he gets the armband at every team he joins within 6 months.

Hope it works. It makes one hell of a lot more sense than WinterMariner ever did.

yellowfellow
01-09-2013, 11:17 AM

I heard it too. He said it's PR issue for QPR and just said read between the lines.

reggie
01-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Reaction from New Zealand national team POV
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/8157300/

Nelsen and O'Leary in some sort of sports psychology partnership
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/5560827/All-Whites-captains-plan-for-young-talent

good find....i dont think our ex 70s/80s coach would be using any sports psychology...

Yohan
01-09-2013, 11:22 AM
is there a link?

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-3/Ryan-Nelsen-with-Greg-Brady-and-Jim-Lang-bl-20130109-Interview.mp3

andyc
01-09-2013, 11:32 AM
It looks like Harry has a plan to replace Nelsen sooner rather than later...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2259553/Harry-Redknapp-wants-sign-William-Gallas-Tottenham.html

ensco
01-09-2013, 11:37 AM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2259553/Harry-Redknapp-wants-sign-William-Gallas-Tottenham.html

It would be amusing if it were Mellberg coming in to QPR.

Lucky Strike
01-09-2013, 11:38 AM
I found a few "fresh" articles about Ryan Nelsen (at least, I haven't seen them discussed here and in the local media). Specifically, here are in my view, the more interesting bits:

After Payne dangled the offer, Nelsen called him back a couple of days later and "proceeded to run down the entire roster of Toronto FC, what everybody made, all of the stats, how many games they had won, how many goals they had surrendered. "He had watched games on video and was telling me how many times one pass beat the back four. That's the kind of guy he is." Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/8160431/

But Nelsen, who has signed a three-year contract with his Canadian club, would not speculate on that last night when he spoke to The Press from Toronto. Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/8160413/

Canary10
01-09-2013, 11:39 AM

Well said.

Oldtimer
01-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/8160431/

That is a very reassuring article. He may not have his formal certificates, but basically he is self-taught to a higher level than most coaches:

Rookie manager Ryan Nelsen doesn't believe his lack of coaching qualifications will prevent him hitting the ground running in his new job in a Major League Soccer dugout.

The All Whites captain's appointment as head coach at Toronto FC drew mixed reactions on fan websites yesterday.
But Toronto general manager/president Kevin Payne said he first realised Nelsen was different when he saw him with an advanced book on football tactics as a 23-year-old at their former club DC United.

"You just don't see players reading stuff like that," Payne said.

"You rarely see coaches reading stuff like that, unfortunately. Ryan is a guy who has made a study of leadership. He pays attention to what great leaders do, and that is very unusual, too.

QBall
01-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Aw hell we're a last place team, it's not like Nelsen can make things worse. Sure it's kind of a ridiculous situation to present to the fans that the new coach is currently playing for another team in another league, but it's so Toronto FC! Never a dull moment! The only thing I worry about is will the new coach have any real time to learn study what the MLS game is all about. I believe Aaron Winter thought he could adopt a European system and find success in Toronto only to realize the exact opposite. The coaching change is something that really should have been done back in October, however I remain optimistic about Nelsen.

tfcmanu
01-09-2013, 04:07 PM

I think this will happen, Nelsen will be with the Reds soon.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/01/09/tottenham-defender-william-gallas-wanted-by-qpr-to-replace-mls-bound-centre-back-ryan-nelsen/

PopePouri
01-09-2013, 04:26 PM
The only thing I worry about is will the new coach have any real time to learn study what the MLS game is all about.

I'm sure he has an understanding. He played it for 4 years.

jazzy
01-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Kristian Jack has a neat take on the whole thing:

http://4-2-3-1.com/2013/01/08/toronto-fc-finally-singing-from-the-same-hymn-sheet-with-hiring-of-nelsen-firing-of-mariner/

as usual well written and taking a informed view

jazzy
01-09-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm with you Alonso! I am baffled by the negativity today. Almost to a person, the posters to this board have agreed for a long time that the huge underlying problem has been culture and character. A culture built by Anselmi - a corrupt, incompetent, bureaucratic, political culture that spawned a six year, groundhog day circus. Most agreed - for things to turn around, the major contributors/architects to the culture had to go - Anselmi, Cochrane, Bierne. For many, after a time, Mariner was added to the list.

Today is a great day - a strong, harmful, negative influence is gone (Mariner), and we have added someone with strong character who will add to a positive winning culture for this team. You can dream of a single coach (or player) signing somehow miraculously turning this team around, but it ain't gonna happen until you have the right people in there culturally (and the wrong people out).

Face facts - We are the undisputed, worst team in the world. I don't recall ANYBODY disputing this claim - even among supporters on this board. This signing is as good as it gets (for now).

Without a doubt, the next challenge is moving Cochrane out. Keeping him as the coffee gopher or the guy who operates the sprinklers at half time may sound OK, but Payne has to move him out, in order to continue to improve the team. Cochrane has fouled the nest badly and will be a negative influence on the culture, by his very presence - he represents the old way of doing things - politics + incompetence. If Payne moves Cochrane out the door quickly, this will signal a real dawn of a new era. Stay tuned!

Perhaps a new poll should be started: "How many games will Cochrane last?" (For those politically correct among us, I would note that I have not suggested a "Deathwatch" thread!:))

well said....now if we give our canucks a decent chance , can't ask for much more.....a slow steady progression is fine , good character is great to stand behind

jazzy
01-09-2013, 05:36 PM
It doesn't matter who the coach is in 2013. We are worse than an expansion team. Seriously. If we could release all our players and go back through an expansion draft, I would do that in a flash.

Re expectations, Payne said he expects to contend for the playoffs but that making it is unrealistic. I think the "contend" bit was similar to his endorsement of Mariner, ie it's what he had to say.

A lot has to do with whether you renewed or not.

I disagree call me crazy but if somehow the mgr and coach can get us playing as a team.....I think we will be a very tough and surprising challenge....I'm very happy to have seasons..( at a reasonable rate of course)..lol......now just get rid of our ties with Hassili and Plata , goaltender Hall ...PS Eckersley had better become a 'team' player quickly (stop running around like a banshee)...or he is too costly also.....the great thing with our new coach is he'll quickly teach all our backs how to team-up....fantastic.

ensco
01-09-2013, 05:46 PM
^I don't see it, but you might be right. Here's hoping.

Toronto
01-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Or literally hundreds of other moments chicken littles have said it.

If MLSE is your problem there is other live soccer around right at that Lamport you're talking about.

Chicken Little? ya cause hiring a guy who won't show up until June and has never run a practice let alone a game aided by a guy who just got his pro license and has been coaching NCAA div 3 for the last 7 years isn't rock bottom, I don'y know what is.

This will the final decision that kills TFC. Mark my words. And in 3 years all we will have left is watching Toronto Serbia vs Toronto Croatia in North York.

The Cool aid drinkers seem to be getting their scarf hopes up again. man the fall this time will be brutal.

Belfast_Boy
01-09-2013, 06:58 PM
can't blame people for being a little concerned. once bitten....or i should say chewed to death for years will do that.

let's hope Nelsen comes in and does a great job. for now Payne and O'Leary will have to run the show. this is the hand we have been dealt.

Richard
01-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Anyone know of any QPR boards equivalent to the RPB site? I would love to read their opinions on this subject.

Im fustrated knowing there is the posibility he wont come until June. This looks bad from an outsiders perspective, we already have one of the worst reps in the western hemisphere and this just cements it for people.

I really hope this works out.

Belfast_Boy
01-09-2013, 07:53 PM
QPR is a nice team with an old history (notice I didn't say great history, they haven't won much), but they are not getting out of the relegation zone. it just doesn't happen at this time of the year in the position they are in. Nelsen staying will not change that.

I have heard that some DC fans aren't happy about this. the way I heard it he has a Dichio kinda status.

jazzy
01-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Chicken Little? ya cause hiring a guy who won't show up until June and has never run a practice let alone a game aided by a guy who just got his pro license and has been coaching NCAA div 3 for the last 7 years isn't rock bottom, I don'y know what is.

This will the final decision that kills TFC. Mark my words. And in 3 years all we will have left is watching Toronto Serbia vs Toronto Croatia in North York.

The Cool aid drinkers seem to be getting their scarf hopes up again. man the fall this time will be brutal.

have you taken the time to learn about the coach you are dissing?....yes we will have a huge learning curve ...that would happen anyway...but the new coach will earn huge respect from our guys and work with Payne to demand respect....thats all we need this year....BS is not in Nelson's resume and he knows our league ,..has won in our league...Harry REdknapp respects him....we are in the perfect spot with nowhere to go but up and quite frankly ..I didn`t think we could get as far as we have in this short space of time. He will at least shore up our defense AND that was our main problem and where to start. year 3 and 3 yes will be harder but we'll get it done. He'll be here before June. Sorry to disappoint you but we're going enjoy the slow ascent towards respectability...you on the other hand should eat more leafy greens to fight that constipation.

nfitz
01-09-2013, 08:33 PM
QPR is a nice team with an old history (notice I didn't say great history, they haven't won much), but they are not getting out of the relegation zone. it just doesn't happen at this time of the year in the position they are in.Yeah, they are screwed they'd have to have a magician like Harry running them to escape from this one. Oh ... wait, hang on a minute ...

You know it's not all that dire for QPR yet ... they are only 5 points from safety with 17 games to play. On the other hand, it is hard to see easy points in their schedule. Their next 4 home fixtures are Tottenham, Man City, Norwich and Man Utd. Though the last 5 are easier, other than Arsenal.

I'm torn ... I'm pretty neutral, but I've been cheering for QPR more than anything else this season. If Nelson is as critical to the QPR pysche as some make out, they'd be crazy to let him go. And he looks like the rare player who they'd force to stay, and he'd STILL perform.

Belfast_Boy
01-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Derek you are freaking awesome!

Belfast_Boy
01-09-2013, 08:44 PM
Yeah, they are screwed they'd have to have a magician like Harry running them to escape from this one. Oh ... wait, hang on a minute ...

You know it's not all that dire for QPR yet ... they are only 5 points from safety with 17 games to play. On the other hand, it is hard to see easy points in their schedule. Their next 4 home fixtures are Tottenham, Man City, Norwich and Man Utd. Though the last 5 are easier, other than Arsenal.

I'm torn ... I'm pretty neutral, but I've been cheering for QPR more than anything else this season. If Nelson is as critical to the QPR pysche as some make out, they'd be crazy to let him go. And he looks like the rare player who they'd force to stay, and he'd STILL perform.

LOL, very true, if anyone can do it Snake Oil Arry can!

the fixtures for Reading and Wigan look slightly easier for the next 5.

at the end of the day as a TFC supporter I'd prefer he was here now. I'd also prefer to have a lot more money and be taller. unfortunately none of those things are happening.

Yohan
01-09-2013, 08:55 PM
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/harry-redknapp-eyes-william-gallas-to-rescue-qpr-8444054.html

Gallas linked to QPR.

I don't think 'Arry will hold Nelsen at QPR, unless he absolutely gets nobody in Jan transfer window (and considering how rich QPR is, 'Arry is going to sign somebody). I think Nelsen said something like, 'Gaffer, I'm manager of Toronto FC. I know we are in a relegation fight, so if you really need me, I'll stay. But I'd really appreciate it if you allow me to be released from my contract.'

It's a respect thing. Nelsen could have just retired to come to TFC (though drama of that would get messy. But 'Arry respects Nelsen as a professional, and as a fellow manager now, so both are just trying to come up with a solution to satisfy both parties ASAP.

We will know by end of Jan whether Nelsen is staying until May, or be available in Feb

tiberius
01-09-2013, 09:33 PM
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/harry-redknapp-eyes-william-gallas-to-rescue-qpr-8444054.html

Gallas linked to QPR.

I don't think 'Arry will hold Nelsen at QPR, unless he absolutely gets nobody in Jan transfer window (and considering how rich QPR is, 'Arry is going to sign somebody). I think Nelsen said something like, 'Gaffer, I'm manager of Toronto FC. I know we are in a relegation fight, so if you really need me, I'll stay. But I'd really appreciate it if you allow me to be released from my contract.'

It's a respect thing. Nelsen could have just retired to come to TFC (though drama of that would get messy. But 'Arry respects Nelsen as a professional, and as a fellow manager now, so both are just trying to come up with a solution to satisfy both parties ASAP.

We will know by end of Jan whether Nelsen is staying until May, or be available in Feb

Of course that is where is at Yohan - hit the nail on the head! The Chicken Littles can fret about May/June/July, but good folk make good stuff happen - the likelihood of a really late transfer is next to remote. The Chicken Littles are looking at how MLSE has worked in the past - not how folk with character and integrity make things happen.

The little chickens of the world should suck it up, and be patient - there is a new sheriff in town....

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQajWeKDkYh6XkHW06OT4uzlSbP-8X3TIp8HFoh4BrR4tFGZbfRIw

Oldtimer
01-09-2013, 10:52 PM
I'm not too worried, I followed DC in MLS before TFC came along. Payne operates totally different from what people here are used to, and I have a tonne of respect for him. If he thinks Nelsen can do the job, he's probably right.
Like 4 MLS Cups and 4 supporters shields kind of right.

Furtado91
01-09-2013, 10:54 PM
I personally think this situation is messy. I mean why hire someone who's thoughts are on QPR?I think they should have gotten someone else, and if this guy is the real deal, then wait for him to finish with QPR before coming here. I mean O'leary will be building a team, and could be radically different than Nelsen's team. if that's the case we will be doing what we do best.... rebuild.

I personally think they jumped the gun on this. fire Mariner sure, but have someone in place, not someone who will "Occasionally" be there for TFC while another guy is doing all the coaching . But like Yohan says, maybe they will find someone to replace him and release him early from his contract who knows.

Just my 2 cents.

jloome
01-09-2013, 11:14 PM
I personally think this situation is messy. I mean why hire someone who's thoughts are on QPR?I think they should have gotten someone else, and if this guy is the real deal, then wait for him to finish with QPR before coming here. I mean O'leary will be building a team, and could be radically different than Nelsen's team. if that's the case we will be doing what we do best.... rebuild.

I personally think they jumped the gun on this. fire Mariner sure, but have someone in place, not someone who will "Occasionally" be there for TFC while another guy is doing all the coaching . But like Yohan says, maybe they will find someone to replace him and release him early from his contract who knows.

Just my 2 cents.

I think Payne's being honest when he says he's been considering Nelsen for coaching for years; Nelsen was an assistant while in college and Redknapp has commented publicly on his leadership capabilities. Some people have those characteristics in spades; Ben Olson and Jason Kreis are both good examples.

As such, it's not hasty at all. It's something Payne's wanted to try for a while. Given his record at DC, I can't say he's wrong this early.

Furtado91
01-09-2013, 11:21 PM
^^^ Ill give Payne the benefit of the doubt considering how fond DC United thinks of him. Im just still on the fence on this coaching way, maybe ill come around maybe i won't, wont know until the season is well under way.

Alonso
01-09-2013, 11:39 PM
http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-3/Ryan-Nelsen-with-Greg-Brady-and-Jim-Lang-bl-20130109-Interview.mp3

Thank you

Ajax TFC
01-10-2013, 12:24 AM

Except Payne will be the one building the team. That's the way it was always going to be, and if Payne feels that Nelsen can coach the team that he's going to build, than he's probably right.
Also with that setup, a rookie coach is probably a good thing because he wont come with a huge ego and need to have everything done his own way

ag futbol
01-10-2013, 01:18 AM
Looking back at this….

I actually think there is a reasonable chance this guy will turn out to be a great coach, but that presser was wow… if I ever teach a university class on public relations, I will save that tape to show people what not to do. The whole press conference read something like: “Ryan is our new coach and a great leader, I don’t know, I don’t know, I don’t know, thanks for coming out!”.

Nelsen’s performance was awful. He didn’t even shoot down the softball question of whether he was going to play for NZ in the next world cup for fear of offending his coach and FA. No need to dance around it: you’re not playing, it’s obvious. It was example of a larger problem that repeated itself as he went through questions. He’s presented as a leader, but everything after that had an aura of uncertainty behind it and conveyed a bunch of qualities that weren’t very leader-like at first glance to the press. It also didn’t make it sound like he was very committed to TFC.

Looks to me like they made the mistake of thinking the press would know Nelsen enough to understand why he would be a good hire. Maybe Payne took for granted that this isn’t DC and most simply aren’t familiar with his track record. Either way, they simply didn’t sell it right off the top, the bottom fell out when they handled the questions poorly, and everyone left rightfully wondering WTF was going on.

I think if you look past their awful PR performance you can get closer to the reasons why this is a good hire. They just didn't flesh it out for us which they rightfully deserve to be called on. That wasn’t run up to a professional standard you’d expect a club like TFC would be eager to covey after years of ineptitude. So I can see how this left more than a few people upset.

lobo
01-10-2013, 02:28 AM
Also, do we get to learn the haka now? lol
Honestly, how can you not feel pumped up after a haka?

The All Black Haka

By Te Rauparaha
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
Tenei te tangata puhuru huru
Nana nei i tiki mai
Whakawhiti te ra
A upa ... ne! ka upa ... ne!
A upane kaupane whiti te ra!
Hi!

The English translation:

I die! I die! I live! I live!
I die! I die! I live! I live!
This is the hairy man
Who fetched the Sun
And caused it to shine again
One upward step! Another upward step!
An upward step, another ... the Sun shines!!
Hi!

you might want to check this out ... i recently came across some really old newsreel footage of the all blacks doing the haka.

http://www.britishpathe.com/search/query/haka/start/1890/end/1950

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/maori-haka-war-cry/query/haka

Cobblers
01-10-2013, 08:15 AM

Gallas linked to QPR.

Looks like Redknapp's looking at the Baggies' Olsson as well...
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/qpr-transfers-jonas-olsson-of-west-1526725

Cobblers
01-10-2013, 08:19 AM
this article suggests Nelsen may stay at QPR until the MLS season starts and then leave...

Fort York Redcoat
01-10-2013, 08:22 AM

Luckily you won't have to witness it with you just showing up for Playoffs until the team folds...

Call me when they make the play-offs.

And like I said, There's football at Lamport. That's closer to BMO than North York if your too frustrated with all things MLSE.

It's been presented pretty clearly that Payne has a better history at finding new coaching talent than anyone else previously in our organization. If you don't approve of trying new coaching talent I'd have to ask who is it with experience that we missed that would want to come here?

ensco
01-10-2013, 08:31 AM
Looking back at this….

I actually think there is a reasonable chance this guy will turn out to be a great coach, but that presser was wow… if I ever teach a university class on public relations, I will save that tape to show people what not to do. The whole press conference read something like: “Ryan is our new coach and a great leader, I don’t know, I don’t know, I don’t know, thanks for coming out!”.

Nelsen’s performance was awful. He didn’t even shoot down the softball question of whether he was going to play for NZ in the next world cup for fear of offending his coach and FA.

I know what you are saying but I am sick of the pre packaged pablum we are fed every day of our lives, and the overwhelming importance of "PR" as though it matters. It's a reminder to me of what George Carlin said: "Think of how stupid the average person is. Now think about the fact that half of the people are stupider than that".

Not one of these reporters (some percentage of whom are probably consumed by jealousy because they want the job) took the time to point of the obvious - which is, the announcement was rushed, and made prematurely, for whatever reason. At least in part because Nelsen had to do a transatlantic round-trip, and it had to be Monday because he currently plays in the Premier League. Which meant:

- Redknapp had no ability to work his replacement yet, so they couldn't say anything about that with the degree of certainty they wanted

- Nelsen hadn't spoken to NZ, and maybe the greatest NZ footballer in history doesn't think it's appropriate to signal his retirement via another squad's press conference 8,000 miles away.

Payne handled it different than Anselmi would have, because he doesn't care. Wow. I love it. Leaf fans got their first look at how Anselmi does it yesterday, endlessly bobbing and weaving. I'll take Payne, thanks.

Nelsen wasn't given the respect he deserved at that press conference. de Vos saying "it's the most bizarre hiring in MLS history" ... what a low blow. As if Kreis and Olson don't exist. Just on de Vos' watch, Chris Cummins, coming in via the Reading Academy, was a stranger hire than Nelsen is. Some of this maybe is because player coaches, and battlefield promotions of player to coach, are rare in NA sports, but more common in football. de Vos would know that.

Riding this guy because he may/will start late, without commenting on the fact that Payne is responsible for player acquisition, the draft, and for signings, is also unfair. Nelsen wasn't hired in the Aron Winter role. But everybody in the media acted as though he was.

This whole thing says more about us than it does about the hire, and reflects incredibly badly on Toronto. I know we are bruised by the past here, but the outside world doesn't know that.

I'm embarassed by how our fans and our media treated Nelsen, and by the coverage our reaction got internationally. I hope Nelsen knows that at least a few people see that.

pekduck
01-10-2013, 08:47 AM
I know what you are saying but I am sick of the pre packaged pablum we are fed every day of our lives, and the overwhelming importance of "PR" as though it matters. It's a reminder to me of what George Carlin said: "Think of how stupid the average person is. Now think about the fact that half of the people are stupider than that".

Not one of these reporters (some percentage of whom are probably consumed by jealousy because they want the job) took the time to point of the obvious - which is, the announcement was rushed, and made prematurely, for whatever reason. At least in part because Nelsen had to do a transatlantic round-trip, and it had to be Monday because he currently plays in the Premier League. Which meant:

- Redknapp had no ability to work his replacement yet, so they couldn't say anything about that with the degree of certainty they wanted

- Nelsen hadn't spoken to NZ, and maybe the greatest NZ footballer in history doesn't think it's appropriate to signal his retirement via another squad's press conference 8,000 miles away.

Payne handled it different than Anselmi would have, because he doesn't care. Wow. I love it. Leaf fans got their first look at how Anselmi does it yesterday, endlessly bobbing and weaving. I'll take Payne, thanks.

Nelsen wasn't given the respect he deserved at that press conference. de Vos saying "it's the most bizarre hiring in MLS history" ... what a low blow. As if Kreis and Olson don't exist. Just on de Vos' watch, Chris Cummins, coming in via the Reading Academy, was a stranger hire than Nelsen is. Some of this maybe is because player coaches, and battlefield promotions of player to coach, are rare in NA sports, but more common in football. de Vos would know that.

Riding this guy because he may/will start late, without commenting on the fact that Payne is responsible for player acquisition, the draft, and for signings, is also unfair. Nelsen wasn't hired in the Aron Winter role. But everybody in the media acted as though he was.

This whole thing says more about us than it does about the hire, and reflects incredibly badly on Toronto. I know we are bruised by the past here, but the outside world doesn't know that.

I'm embarassed by how our fans and our media treated Nelsen, and by the coverage our reaction got internationally. I hope Nelsen knows that at least a few people see that.

Agree with every single word ensco has said above. I don't have the ability to summarize it as elegantly as you did.

Fort York Redcoat
01-10-2013, 08:52 AM

lol @ Carlin. Awesome! Thanks for reminding me. I'm going to rewatch some of his stuff.

I've got to agree with you on the point of media and "fans". People seem to want to applaud other respectable and storied clubs and supporters but don't want to put the time or effort it takes to give it a day before they write anything new off with the first setback.

Why give them a chance when we've disappointed? If one isn't going to give them a chance move on.

Reading comments from some of those "fans" I groan to think at the distance between us.

I know how sick most of us are of the fan comparisons in this town but there's your explanation, not reason, but explanation for the behavior to one bad press conference. Those "fans" (most not all) are about as invested in the team as they are in the other teams they shit on in certain social feeds. Or news articles. Or personal posts... A culture of cynical safety.

Section 117
01-10-2013, 08:56 AM
I thought about Nelsen's hiring and I will reserve judgement until he actually coaches a game. The optics of the hiring look bad as he is still a QPR player at the moment. I will bet money on him being here by mid February at the latest.

On him not having his coaching license means nothing as I know coaches that have their license and they are useless. Jim Brennan has his license and that just goes to show you how it really doesn't matter.

At the end of the day his track record shows he is a leader of men. The FO is on the same page for the first time lets see how this plays out before we break out the pitch forks and try and lynch Nelsen, O'Leary and Payne.

PopePouri
01-10-2013, 09:09 AM

Excellent. I felt the same way.

Canary10
01-10-2013, 09:27 AM

The PR does matter, and this was a perfect example. Instead of talking about the merits or lack thereof of Nelsen as a head coach, the story has been the "most bizarre coaching hiring ever in MLS." The fact is, they had no straight answer for anything. They didn't come out off the top and say that Nelsen is contractually obligated to QPR and would join the team when done. Instead it slowly came out as Payne was talking that he won't be available for a while. All that did was make for confusion. I would hope that they would have figured out before the press conference that someone would want to know something like, you know, when Nelsen will actually be there to start coaching. They never had a good answer to that most simple question the whole time. It was extremely bad communication and really shot their credibility.

ensco
01-10-2013, 10:04 AM
The PR does matter, and this was a perfect example. Instead of talking about the merits or lack thereof of Nelsen as a head coach, the story has been the "most bizarre coaching hiring ever in MLS." The fact is, they had no straight answer for anything. They didn't come out off the top and say that Nelsen is contractually obligated to QPR and would join the team when done. Instead it slowly came out as Payne was talking that he won't be available for a while. All that did was make for confusion. I would hope that they would have figured out before the press conference that someone would want to know something like, you know, when Nelsen will actually be there to start coaching. They never had a good answer to that most simple question the whole time. It was extremely bad communication and really shot their credibility.

It was a bad press conference. Sure. But that's all it was.

The idea that the conclusion is that Nelsen isn't a legitimate coaching choice, that it's idiotic to select a coach who may not be available for a couple of months, or that TFC found someone who fell off the turnip truck, is still incredibly stupid.

Not saying that you have to think Nelsen is a good choice btw. But he is 100% on the spectrum of reasonable choices. That is not what the stories, or most of the initial posts here, said at all.

Canary10
01-10-2013, 10:11 AM
It was a bad press conference. Sure. But that's all it was.

The idea that the conclusion is that Nelsen isn't a legitimate coaching choice, that it's idiotic to select a coach who may not be available for a couple of months, or that TFC found someone who fell off the turnip truck, is still incredibly stupid.

Not saying that you have to think Nelsen is a good choice btw. But he is 100% on the spectrum of reasonable choices. That is not what the stories, or most of the initial posts here, said at all.

Totally agree on that. For what it's worth, I have a feeling he will work out well.

Beach_Red
01-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Totally agree on that. For what it's worth, I have a feeling he will work out well.

Yeah, it certainly has potential to work out well. Is this the first time TFC has hired a coach that wasn't unemployed at the time. This seems like a guy that other teams might have actually wanted to hire.

Detroit_TFC
01-10-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm just going to put this right here...

www.rnwines.com

Canary10
01-10-2013, 10:30 AM
^ Also, unlike our last guy, knows a bit about modern football tactics and training playing in the world's top league, and, unlike the guy before that, can play pragmatic football.

Detroit_TFC
01-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Need a defender-manager-entrepreneur? Get Ryan Nelsen.

reggie
01-10-2013, 10:44 AM

www.rnwines.com (http://www.rnwines.com)

he seems to be a well rounded man...that should keep all the winers(yes i know you dont spell it that way)on this site happy:drinking:

Yagbod
01-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Seems to me that some people just really, really want to believe in this guy contrary to a great deal of evidence. Perhaps it is the six years of failure and all the negativity it has brought just boiling up into this irresistable need to be positive no matter the evidence or circumstance. I don't know. All I know is I cannot understand the optimism about this choice at all and it seems very forced to me.

I'll be first in line to support him and cheer on our team this year, but I do not understand this choice. Perhaps if it wasn't one of the worst PR presentations in history I would. But I don't.

The points in his favour appear to be:

- we heard he was a good leader
- he plays at the highest level
- he used to play in the MLS (7+ years ago)
- he watched some great coaches do their jobs
- he won't break his contract with QPR, ergo he is of great character and full of honour.
- he has never damaged his coaching ability by getting his badges/licenses etc. (still wowing about this one)

Have I missed any other points in his favour? Because that list still seems a little weak to me. I'm not saying he can't do it, but I am saying it does not look good on paper.

Belfast_Boy
01-10-2013, 10:53 AM

same here Michael.

I get what you are saying about the presser. should have been done better. that being said it was nice to have a TFC press conference without TA or the others.

Belfast_Boy
01-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Seems to me that some people just really, really want to believe in this guy contrary to a great deal of evidence. Perhaps it is the six years of failure and all the negativity it has brought just boiling up into this irresistable need to be positive no matter the evidence or circumstance. I don't know. All I know is I cannot understand the optimism about this choice at all and it seems very forced to me.

I'll be first in line to support him and cheer on our team this year, but I do not understand this choice. Perhaps if it wasn't one of the worst PR presentations in history I would. But I don't.

- he won't break his contract with QPR, ergo he is of great character and full of honour.
- he has never damaged his coaching ability by getting his badges/licenses etc. (still wowing about this one)

Have I missed any other points in his favour? Because that list still seems a little weak to me. I'm not saying he can't do it, but I am saying it does not look good on paper.

I think a lot of the optimism is fueled by Paynes rep., Mariner is out, Anselmi is further away from the team and Cockring's role seems less dangerous.

jaahuuu
01-10-2013, 11:01 AM

www.rnwines.com (http://www.rnwines.com)

Yikes...minimum shipping charge to the US - $261 usd

Oldtimer
01-10-2013, 11:05 AM

The T-dot media really fell down on this one (probably due to shock). The Kiwi press picked up that Nelsen has been obsessive about football strategy (reading books when he was a 22-year old player, etc.) over the years, so he has been studying informally in an unusual way over his career.

tfcleeds
01-10-2013, 11:06 AM
I get it that some people are skeptical. Why wouldn't we be? But at this point, what have we really got to lose? It's not like we were going to get Sigi Schmidt, Bruce Arena, or Dominic Kinnear to come here. People weren't exactly banging down the doors to be the next manager of this club given the revolving door of managers we've had here. At this point, we just have to trust Payne - what else have we got? He's hired two previous coaches who had no prior experience - one of them ended up winning a MLS Cup with DC, and the other has made DC into a playoff team. If it wasn't for that, yeah, I'd be very, very wary of this hiring (and let's be honest, it's not an ideal one). But it's not like any of the other choices we've made have been a panacea either. At least now, we've got a management team that have all known each other for years and are on the same page. That has GOT to count for something.

Oldtimer
01-10-2013, 11:10 AM
I think a lot of the optimism is fueled by Paynes rep., Mariner is out, Anselmi is further away from the team and Cockring's role seems less dangerous.

Payne's rep is the main thing. Nobody knows Nelsen, but everyone knows that Payne is one of the best GMs in MLS.

ensco
01-10-2013, 11:18 AM

The implication of your list is that players don't go straight to manager, but sometimes they do.

You missed the big one. He has received the armband within 6 months of arriving on every team he has ever played for (only slight exaggeration, but we're talking big teams). That is extraordinary. That is a pretty powerful endorsement of his leadership skills (and maybe his technical skills too, not sure about that one).

Beach_Red
01-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Payne's rep is the main thing. Nobody knows Nelsen, but everyone knows that Payne is one of the best GMs in MLS.

Yes that, and also the way we have seen other MLS teams turnaround. This is a unique league for sure.

jabbronies
01-10-2013, 11:24 AM

I'm giving Payne the benefit of the doubt. This isn't the same ol' TFC regime making this decision.

Payne likes young, uncorrupted managers, guys who don't have a solid, no budge, preconceived notion on how things should be run . People that he can mold into a type of manager that he can work with. He saw the Nelsen opportunity and jumped on it.

We normally see teams bring in a young player and invest time and money into their training because they see star qualities in that player, well this is an investment into a manager that Payne has identified as a future all star manager.

It's pretty clear and obvious how this team will be run to start off the Payne era. We heard directly from his mouth that he likes to be involved and sticks his nose in wherever he can. So with that being said, I can see it working like this:

- Payne will work with the coaching staff to instill a system/playing style. It'll be up to the coaches, who seem to have the same mindset as Nelsen, to get the team playing that style of football.
- In a perfect world by the time Nelsen comes in, the team should have the foundations of that style in their heads, all Nelsen will do from there is to be briefed on teams progress by the coaching staff and will then start to put his stamp on the team.
- Payne will be responsible, and therefore should be accountable, for bringing in players that fit this style of play/needs of the team. By the time the summer transfer window opens, Nelsen and the coaching staff should know who is working out, who needs to go and what holes need to be filled. Payne - doing what Mariner should've done - would go out and get the players that fit these needs. As we know he likes American players, so be sure that we will see an influx of stars and stripes as oppose to Euro star players during the transfer window.

TFC Cityboy
01-10-2013, 11:59 AM
the presser was comedy gold. Once I picked my jaw up off the floor and got over the initial shock, my reaction is that Nelsen has the character attributes to be a good coach. If Arry rates him as one the best Pros he's ever worked with, that's good enough for me.
I get the sense from Sharman's posts on twitter that the situation will sort itself out and Ryan will be here by February. I admire him for showing loyalty to QPR. It speaks volumes to his character.
I'd sooner Payne get the guy he wants even if it takes a couple of months than do the usual TFC hire - "does he have a pulse, is he available now?".
Yes, if this had been an Alselmi hire, I'd have been at gate 4 with a pitchfork, but we demanded a new GM/Pres with the authority to rebuild this house of cards, and boy has he made a massive gamble early doors.

We demanded a new boss who knows his onions, we got him. Let's give him and Ryan the time they need.

Anselmi is out of the picture, Mariner is too and ST prices are 2007 level. I can't wait for the new season.
Time we unified and got behind the boys in red.

Phil
01-10-2013, 11:59 AM
I may be reading into it, but Yagbod mentioned that it was 7+ years ago that Ryan played in the MLS. To me, there is going to be an understanding of the distance from DC to LA and times zones, something other 'rookie' managers overlooked and didn't understand.

Lets see how this goes, as others have said, we don't have much to loose by trying this out. He certainly seems like a stand up guy.

Oldtimer
01-10-2013, 12:15 PM
The thing is, given the new schedule, TFC will probably lose it's first 4 matches.

Will the press and the fans give Nelson a chance?

London
01-10-2013, 12:18 PM
It is not an experienced manager like i had hoped but i am glad to see mariner moved out.

For that reason alone I am willing to wait and see how this plays out

Canary10
01-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Payne should be dampening expectations between now and the start of the season. Realistically, we need a 30 point turnaround over last year to make the playoffs. No team in MLS had a 30 point turnaround last year. So playoffs are not going to happen. Maybe set sights a 38-40 points or something doable.

ensco
01-10-2013, 12:23 PM
The rollout of Anselmi to Leaf Nation has been the most amusing thing that's happened over the last 2 days. Just thought I'd lift something from one of the Leaf sites about Anselmi. This is from a guy "Leaf Army", with 8000 posts on hfboards .....

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1319521&page=4

Absolutely he's [Anselmi's] a huge problem. Got that just from the press conference yesterday.

1. He started the conference off by saying "the new ownership has new priorities." When will these clueless morons get it? When you're at a press conference, talking about hockey operations the priority is always the same. WINNING. That's it.

It should have be the priority last year and it should still be the priority this year. It was a very telling remark that just shows this ownership still has no clue how to separate hockey operations from business.

2. He goes on to assure us that their priority is winning. Yet then, for all the reasons he gave why Burke is no longer the GM, none of them had anything to do with wins or losses. Sounded more like personal issues and business reasons.

You can't say your priority is "winning" and then fire a Stanley Cup winning GM because he wasn't the right "fit" for the ownership style. Ridiculous.

tfcleeds
01-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Speaking of Anselmi, and seeing as how he's furthest away from a hands-on position with this club as he's ever been, it kind of made me chuckle seeing the Leafs presser yesterday. The way he constantly ducked away from pointed questions and providing the same milquetoast answers - I was thinking, boy, Leafs fans, there's gonna be a lot more where that came from. Get yourself buckled in, the ride's just begun, haha.

Initial B
01-10-2013, 12:25 PM

Bryan Colangelo is considered one of the best GMs in the NBA.

Brian Burke is considered one of the best GMs in the NHL.

Perhaps Payne is a genius and one of the best GMs in MLS.

But this is MLSE.

This corporation has nothing but a history of turning the best of intentions into ash. Of raising expectations only to see see them dashed against the rocks of reality. Of draining the spirit of GMs, coaches, players, and fans alike with the soul-sucking curse of Harold Ballard.

Honest, I *want* to believe that Payne made the right call and that Nelsen is the right man for the job (and, really, who would want to come here if they had a choice). But because TFC belongs to MLSE, I feel this is destined to end badly.

ag futbol
01-10-2013, 12:27 PM

I hear ya. Much of the PR gimmick makes me think of the un-washed peasant masses in a Monty Python movie who's attention moves haphazardly from one point to the next. It's also disappointing when you realize there are a fair amount of people on this board who I would objectively say are more enlightened than the media covering TFC. But that being said, we all recognize what the game is even if it's a load of crap. I'd still say handling that element properly has merit even if it's not going to determine whether someone is a good coach or not.

BTW, don't get me started on some of these Canadian commentators and their high-and-mighty routine. If someone really wanted to turn the brights on them, they'd scurry back under the floorboards like typical CSA cockroaches.

PopePouri
01-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Payne should be dampening expectations between now and the start of the season. Realistically, we need a 30 point turnaround over last year to make the playoffs. No team in MLS had a 30 point turnaround last year. So playoffs are not going to happen. Maybe set sights a 38-40 points or something doable.

He has.

Stress
01-10-2013, 12:34 PM
West Brom rejected a bid from QPR for CB Olsson so the good news is QPR are actively looking for defenders to replace Nelsen asap.

Canary10
01-10-2013, 12:36 PM
The rollout of Anselmi to Leaf Nation has been the most amusing thing that's happened over the last 2 days. Just thought I'd lift something from one of the Leaf sites about Anselmi. This is from a guy "Leaf Army", with 8000 posts on hfboards .....

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1319521&page=4

Absolutely he's [Anselmi's] a huge problem. Got that just from the press conference yesterday.

1. He started the conference off by saying "the new ownership has new priorities." When will these clueless morons get it? When you're at a press conference, talking about hockey operations the priority is always the same. WINNING. That's it.

It should have be the priority last year and it should still be the priority this year. It was a very telling remark that just shows this ownership still has no clue how to separate hockey operations from business.

2. He goes on to assure us that their priority is winning. Yet then, for all the reasons he gave why Burke is no longer the GM, none of them had anything to do with wins or losses. Sounded more like personal issues and business reasons.

You can't say your priority is "winning" and then fire a Stanley Cup winning GM because he wasn't the right "fit" for the ownership style. Ridiculous.

I love how that thread title was phrased in the form of a question. ie. Could Tom Anslemi be a problem? So naive.

Canary10
01-10-2013, 12:37 PM
He has.

I think he needs to shift from the "contend for playoffs" language which makes it sound like it's still a possibility. Improve by 20 points would be a better goal to communicate.

burlington Red
01-10-2013, 12:58 PM

Payne moved very early to snap up Nelson as it is well known that he was looking to go into management, and plenty of teams would be genuinely interested in him, not just in mls but Australia and UK.As I said in another post, the press conference was a bit of a farce as Nelson couldn't say much at this stage as he is still legally contracted to QPR. Reading between the lines he'd be here tomorrow if he and QPR could work out an agreement on release from his contract.I think 100% this will happen, Redknapp will get someone in this month, as Nelson has publicly stated he is playing on "glass knees" and when you are fighting for your lives as QPR are, I don't think you'd want that. Also players who know they are retiring or moving at the end of season aren't as foscussed as people who know they will be at QPR next season. Not a criticism of him just human nature.I applaud Payne for moving early on this, might have been a wee bit too early but if he had of waited we may not have got him. Also worth noting, Nelson apparently has taken an active role in helping with coaching at clubs he has played for ie youth teams etc, so this is something he has definetly been planning

Oldtimer
01-10-2013, 01:25 PM
The rollout of Anselmi to Leaf Nation has been the most amusing thing that's happened over the last 2 days.

I love how that thread title was phrased in the form of a question. ie. Could Tom Anslemi be a problem? So naive.

Yeah, vintage Tom all the way, along with the usual platitudes and dodging questions. We knew that Leafs fans were in for a huge shock, and sure enough they are.

I love this quote from the thread...

So they fire a GM, for reasons which aren't entirely clear, and everyone here jumps to the conclusion that they are meddlers and will be sticking their noses into hockey decisions? One firing does not mean they are going to try to micro-manage everything about the hockey team and people really need to get a grip and wait to see how everything plays out.
:lol: how little you know.

The interesting question is, how long will Anselmi last now that he's in the intense Leafs media spotlight instead of the backwater of soccer operations, before he gets the proverbial multi-million dollar golden handshake? But that's a topic for another thread.

ag futbol
01-10-2013, 01:33 PM
^ The interview he did with McClown yesterday was interesting. Bob basically called him on the idea that this was motivated by performance, anselmi was squirming all the way through and had to be saved by Damien Cox of all people.

bones
01-10-2013, 01:41 PM
The part I don't understand about the past few days is this:

1) Payne hires a guy who has no coaching experience. ML$E are gushing over the fact that Payne has built championships in the past and if he says it's ok, then they have the utmost confidence and trust.
2) Burke is a guy that has built near and actual Stanley Cup winning teams that they stated THE EXACT SAME THING about confidence and trust. Where did the trust go?

This must be the "cyclical part of sports" that Tommy was talking about no?

All I know for sure, Mr. Colangelo is probably NOT taking any calls today. :)

jabbronies
01-10-2013, 02:21 PM

I want TFC to be a competitive team. We should be going into every game as a realistic bet to win or even tie the game. If this can happen, we won't have to worry about how many points we could potentially get by year end. It will just happen. I'd rather see us in playoff contention, doesn't matter if it means 24 pt or 60pt, we should be fighting with at least mid table teams.

Yohan
01-10-2013, 02:40 PM
http://www.socceramerica.com/article/49900/mls-changes-a-big-loss-and-a-puzzling-addition.html

Paul Gardner muses on Nelsen. He's not impressed

Greatest Ripoff
01-10-2013, 02:54 PM
The part I don't understand about the past few days is this:

1) Payne hires a guy who has no coaching experience. ML$E are gushing over the fact that Payne has built championships in the past and if he says it's ok, then they have the utmost confidence and trust.
2) Burke is a guy that has built near and actual Stanley Cup winning teams that they stated THE EXACT SAME THING about confidence and trust. Where did the trust go?

Not sure if this is serious? Payne has been on the job for two months and the team has yet had an opportunity to play a match while the Leafs have had 5 season under Burke where they haven't made the playoffs. I would expect if Payen was still in charge in 5 years and Toronto still hasn't made the playoffs they will fire him as well.

Greatest Ripoff
01-10-2013, 02:57 PM
http://www.socceramerica.com/article/49900/mls-changes-a-big-loss-and-a-puzzling-addition.html

"But we have seen plenty of Nelsen as a player, and I find this a much more worrying aspect. Watching him play for Stanford U, D.C. United, Blackburn Rovers and lately Queens Park Rangers, I can seriously ask myself whether I have ever seen Nelsen smiling on the field. I mean, does this guy always have to snarl? Does he like playing, or is it the snarling that he enjoys?

A trivial point? No, not at all."

Definitely a great reason not hire him...

ManUtd4ever
01-10-2013, 03:03 PM
The rollout of Anselmi to Leaf Nation has been the most amusing thing that's happened over the last 2 days.

LOL, agreed.

As fans and journalists alike rolled their eyes in disbelief and shook their heads in disgust at the complete and utter BS that was being shoved down their throats during that complete farce of a press conference, all I did was experience an inexplicable sense of deja vu.

Toronto
01-10-2013, 03:45 PM
Luckily you won't have to witness it with you just showing up for Playoffs until the team folds...

And like I said, There's football at Lamport. That's closer to BMO than North York if your too frustrated with all things MLSE.

It's been presented pretty clearly that Payne has a better history at finding new coaching talent than anyone else previously in our organization. If you don't approve of trying new coaching talent I'd have to ask who is it with experience that we missed that would want to come here?

Saying that he has a better track record as a soccer professional than anyone else in our organisation isn't saying much.

I guess I should put you in the camp of being a huge fan of NCAA div 3 coaches running pro practices (until June at least) . SO give me some updates of the professional NEW atmosphere at the training center. Maybe Sir Fran O’Leary can find some gems playing in NCAA div 3 as he's also the "director of player recruitment" or at least bring some that Bedowian College swag and pass some of it along to the players like Frings or Koevermans. "Hey you guys should be tying your laces under your shoe" or "Hey, I realize you guys haven't played DIV 3 NCAA, but we pass the like this" or " Take it easy, you guys are playing to fast for me to understand what's going on"

And you have a point. With this roster, save 4-5 players, who would want to come here. So if a guy with ZERO coaching experience and a guy with only NCAA div 3 experience is the way out. There is NO hope.

And will be JUNE. BTW http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/10/qpr-ryan-nelsen-relegation

However, the player's contract at QPR (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/qpr) runs until 30 June and Redknapp is determined that Nelsen stays until the team have guaranteed their survival or, as is looking more likely, are relegated to the Championship.
QPR remain bottom of the Premier League having won only two of 21 fixtures, albeit the most recent being last week's 1-0 victory at Chelsea, and Nelsen has been one of their few impressive performers since arriving on a free transfer in June.
Redknapp can ill afford to lose the New Zealand international at such a critical stage of the campaign, particularly as he has just had a £5m bid for the Sweden centre-back Jonas Olsson rejected by West Bromwich Albion, and will make that clear to Nelsen shortly after QPR host Tottenham on Saturday afternoon.

Fort York Redcoat
01-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Make up your mind. Do you want to be updated in training or wait till playoffs?

You still haven't offered any great description on the alternatives out there.

ensco
01-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Anybody who is torqued about the "problem" of Nelsen not showing up until he is released, here is my suggestion: just don't pay attention until he shows up. No biggie. It's a rebuilding year anyway. Watch hockey until then.

tfcmanu
01-10-2013, 04:01 PM
payne moved very early to snap up nelson as it is well known that he was looking to go into management, and plenty of teams would be genuinely interested in him, not just in mls but australia and uk.as i said in another post, the press conference was a bit of a farce as nelson couldn't say much at this stage as he is still legally contracted to qpr. Reading between the lines he'd be here tomorrow if he and qpr could work out an agreement on release from his contract.i think 100% this will happen, redknapp will get someone in this month, as nelson has publicly stated he is playing on "glass knees" and when you are fighting for your lives as qpr are, i don't think you'd want that. Also players who know they are retiring or moving at the end of season aren't as foscussed as people who know they will be at qpr next season. Not a criticism of him just human nature.i applaud payne for moving early on this, might have been a wee bit too early but if he had of waited we may not have got him. Also worth noting, nelson apparently has taken an active role in helping with coaching at clubs he has played for ie youth teams etc, so this is something he has definetly been planning

bingo!

Oldtimer
01-10-2013, 04:19 PM
"But we have seen plenty of Nelsen as a player, and I find this a much more worrying aspect. Watching him play for Stanford U, D.C. United, Blackburn Rovers and lately Queens Park Rangers, I can seriously ask myself whether I have ever seen Nelsen smiling on the field. I mean, does this guy always have to snarl? Does he like playing, or is it the snarling that he enjoys?

A trivial point? No, not at all."

Definitely a great reason not hire him...

All the years that Danny Dichio played, he always had a snarl and never smiled on the field.

Off the field? One of the nicest, kindest guys I ever had the pleasure to meet.

I don't care if Nelsen is hardcore as a player, in fact I prefer it.

Belfast_Boy
01-10-2013, 04:29 PM
i'm trying to give him a chance but that email that just arrived. oy vey!

stop with the "wonderful management" and MLSE lines! it's really getting on my nerves.

vent over.

Yagbod
01-10-2013, 04:44 PM
i'm trying to give him a chance but that email that just arrived. oy vey!

stop with the "wonderful management" and MLSE lines! it's really getting on my nerves.

vent over.

My favourite part:

"I have admired the passion and loyalty of the TFC supporters since the team began play in 2007. The commitment and dedication of the management team, the world-class facilities, and the support from Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment make this club a beacon for others in the league."

A warning beacon perhaps...

Belfast_Boy
01-10-2013, 04:48 PM
My favourite part:

"I have admired the passion and loyalty of the TFC supporters since the team began play in 2007. The commitment and dedication of the management team, the world-class facilities, and the support from Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment make this club a beacon for others in the league."

A warning beacon perhaps...

I know he's only saying what they tell him and this was written by somebody else..... but please stop pissing on my back and tell me it's raining.

BAKES
01-10-2013, 04:58 PM
It has been a long time since I posted, but I need to vent. My favourity part is that the '...team will match the passion and dedication of our fans...' .

I guess since I have a full time job away from TFC, it is only fair that they do as well.

bones
01-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Not sure if this is serious? Payne has been on the job for two months and the team has yet had an opportunity to play a match while the Leafs have had 5 season under Burke where they haven't made the playoffs. I would expect if Payen was still in charge in 5 years and Toronto still hasn't made the playoffs they will fire him as well.

Oh god not serious here. I'm just making fun at the "we have the utmost confidence...." that drivvles out of Tommy every time there's a new big cheese.

Toronto
01-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Make up your mind. Do you want to be updated in training or wait till playoffs?

You still haven't offered any great description on the alternatives out there.

I'd love to hear the training camp updates led by our NCAA Div 3 coach. It'll be comedy gold. GOLD. And BTW-- it's not up to me to turn this ship around. It's up to the GM and the MLSE.

A sucker no more.

Auzzy
01-10-2013, 07:33 PM

I'm not too enthusiastic personally about the Nelsen hiring. But that article is a pile of crock. So because Nelsen played defense, he'll automatically select an overly defensive style as a coach? And I suppose that's why Preki employed such a daring & attacking style of footy when he became a coach?

Plus, Gardner is drawing clues about Nelsen's coaching from the fact that he grimaces & snarls while he's playing? When everyone says that Nelsen is a consummate professional, and quite personable & funny off the field? Sounds like that article was written by a People magazine journalist...

KRO
01-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Article in the UK Guardian doesn't sound too promising on the timing.

"Redknapp is determined that Nelsen stays until the team have guaranteed their survival or, as is looking more likely, are relegated to the Championship."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/10/qpr-ryan-nelsen-relegation

ManUtd4ever
01-11-2013, 11:21 AM
It seems more likely that Nelsen will not join the club for several more weeks at the very least.

McBrace
01-11-2013, 11:27 AM
I'm not too enthusiastic personally about the Nelsen hiring. But that article is a pile of crock. So because Nelsen played defense, he'll automatically select an overly defensive style as a coach? And I suppose that's why Preki employed such a daring & attacking style of footy when he became a coach?

Plus, Gardner is drawing clues about Nelsen's coaching from the fact that he grimaces & snarls while he's playing? When everyone says that Nelsen is a consummate professional, and quite personable & funny off the field? Sounds like that article was written by a People magazine journalist...

I'm not sure what the hell this has to do with anything? As you said crap article...

Yagbod
01-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Luke Wileman and Jason De Vos have a great discussion about the Ryan Nelsen hiring in the first 10-15 minutes of their TSN FC podcast yesterday. I agree with them 100%.

Well worth a listen:

http://www2.tsn.ca/podcasts/tsn1050fc.xml

Canary10
01-11-2013, 11:34 AM
I'm not sure what the hell this has to do with anything? As you said crap article...

Oh fuck, he also wears shorts while he's playing. What does that say?

tfcmanu
01-11-2013, 11:36 AM
More Info & News on Nelsen: http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/comment/editorials/8168914/

Ajax TFC
01-11-2013, 11:40 AM

And Guardiola, Rijkaard, and frank de Boer's (three coaches that i can think of who played defensive positions) sides must all be known for their hard working, defensive styles according to his logic...

Greatest Ripoff
01-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Luke Wileman and Jason De Vos have a great discussion about the Ryan Nelsen hiring in the first 10-15 minutes of their TSN FC podcast yesterday. I agree with them 100%.

Well worth a listen:

http://www2.tsn.ca/podcasts/tsn1050fc.xml

Sounds like Devos is having a meltdown because he has his badges and Nelsen didn't have to get them to get a job.

tfcmanu
01-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Sounds like Devos is having a meltdown because he has his badges and Nelsen didn't have to get them to get a job. De Vos makes a good point.... if QPR looking for replacement the price will be over inflated because Nelsen named coach of TFC.

burlington Red
01-11-2013, 12:10 PM
De Vos makes a good point.... if QPR looking for replacement the price will be over inflated because Nelsen named coach of TFC.

That's common knowledge, buying in Jan is often referred to as panic buying. Other teams knows you're desperate and don't have much time and will inflate their price accordingly. Fergie although he has himself bought in the past in Jan does not like doing it for that very reason and has publicly stated that in the past.The real reason teams will make QPR pay over the odds is that their chariman has money and has shown he isn't afraid to use it. 2 classic examples of paying way over the odds in Jan are Torres and Carroll. Newcastle knew Liverpool had money and needed a striker asap after selling Torres and got 35 mil for a player who would struggle in the mls.

Yagbod
01-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Sounds like Devos is having a meltdown because he has his badges and Nelsen didn't have to get them to get a job.

:picard:

GlenM
01-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Here we go...

Surely there was someone else to hire.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=413260 (http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=413260)

Just when we thought everything was going in the Right direction.

Not so fast!

FFS!!!!

GlenM

Richard
01-11-2013, 12:25 PM
New TFC slogan: Making disasters before it even happens.

Seriously this has potential failure written all over, kind of feel he is setup for failure even with Payne involved. Comming late June with half the season done feels like his "on the job learning" is going to be set back by another full season.

GlenM
01-11-2013, 12:28 PM
New TFC slogan: Making disasters before it even happens.

Seriously this has potential failure written all over, kind of feel he is setup for failure even with Payne involved. Comming late June with half the season done feels like his "on the job learning" is going to be set back by another full season.

Hondurian MF back out of deal, this going to fail period.

Harry will do something and this deal will fall thru.

Interim coach

MLSE = EPIC fail

Just a marriage made in heaven or H#!!

GlenM

Greatest Ripoff
01-11-2013, 12:31 PM
:picard:

right, so does Devos have a problem that Sam Allardyce didn't get his coaching badges? What about Roy Hodgson? Alex Ferguson? Martin O'Neill, Harry Redknapp and Sir Bobby Robson? What about Edgar Davids at Barnet? Did these people ruin it for everyone else who got their coaching badges? Devos comes off as very bitter because Nelsen didn't have to jump through the hoops that he did.

How about a real response?

tfcleeds
01-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Devos is really starting to piss me off.

cmonyoureds
01-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Here we go...

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=413260 (http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=413260)

Not so fast!

FFS!!!!

GlenM

Nelson still under contract at QPR, Burke staying on as advisor.

So when looking at MLSE in the past week, their major moves can be summed up like this:

They've hired a guy who isn't going to show up for work and they've fired a guy who isn't actually leaving.

You couldn't dream this stuff up. We're f*d.

reggie
01-11-2013, 12:44 PM
thats why i untwittered devos,rollins,molinaro,im bored with there shit..

reggie
01-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Nelson still under contract at QPR, Burke staying on as advisor.

So when looking at MLSE in the past week, their major moves can be summed up like this:

They've hired a guy who isn't going to show up for work and they've fired a guy who isn't actually leaving.

You couldn't dream this stuff up. We're f*d.

it cant get any worse then a 0and 9 start or a winless in 14 can it?
bottomline we need better players....

Yagbod
01-11-2013, 12:56 PM
right, so does Devos have a problem that Sam Allardyce didn't get his coaching badges? What about Roy Hodgson? Alex Ferguson? Martin O'Neill, Harry Redknapp and Sir Bobby Robson? What about Edgar Davids at Barnet? Did these people ruin it for everyone else who got their coaching badges? Devos comes off as very bitter because Nelsen didn't have to jump through the hoops that he did.

How about a real response?

Do you honestly expect me to think that because a few exceptions to the rule exist that the usefulness of having licenses/badges is diminished? That is ridiculous and barely worth more than the Picard facepalm that you got.

Also, to suggest that De Vos is having a meltdown because someone else without badges got a job is equally ridiculous. Agree with him or not, but give him a little credit. He is knee deep in helping to promote/develope the LTDP which is designed to improve coaching across Canada. He is well educated on the process and value of the badges.

To suggest that those courses are completely without value because a number of famous coaches succeeded without them is absurd. I will not contend that they are absolutely necessary, but to say they are a detriment is well beyond the pale of reason.

So once again::picard:

ag futbol
01-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Yep, seems like his bitterness is growing on a daily basis.

I'd love to see Canadians running the show as much as everybody else but I don't see any strong candidates at this point. Maybe you can argue we aren't grooming people so they are in a position to take the next step, but as fully qualified head coaches? I don't see anyone who would compare favorably to Ryan Nelsen.

Technorgasm
01-11-2013, 01:23 PM

I'd love to see Canadians running the show as much as everybody else but I don't see any strong candidates at this point. Maybe you can argue we aren't grooming people so they are in a position to take the next step, but as fully qualified head coaches? I don't see anyone who would compare favorably to Ryan Nelsen.

KEEM-O-SABI (RPB) for TFC head coach!

problem solved.

Fort York Redcoat
01-11-2013, 01:31 PM
I'd love to hear the training camp updates led by our NCAA Div 3 coach. It'll be comedy gold. GOLD. And BTW-- it's not up to me to turn this ship around. It's up to the GM and the MLSE.

A sucker no more.

So bad mouthing from a distance until you see a winner makes you not a sucker? Alright. Your opinion is well noted, "Toronto".

I'm not sure what else I was expecting from the email. I expected positivity and hope for the season and got it. The appreciation towards the club and support is mutual to an extent but I didn't take offense at it. I don't get why one would. They can't hand us wins in advance...

Fort York Redcoat
01-11-2013, 01:34 PM
KEEM-O-SABI (RPB) for TFC head coach!

problem solved.

Irny. Keemo is 'Murican.

I understand the confusion tho. We love him like our own and he's done more for footy here than most of us.

Greatest Ripoff
01-11-2013, 01:40 PM
Do you honestly expect me to think that because a few exceptions to the rule exist that the usefulness of having licenses/badges is diminished? That is ridiculous and barely worth more than the Picard facepalm that you got.

Also, to suggest that De Vos is having a meltdown because someone else without badges got a job is equally ridiculous. Agree with him or not, but give him a little credit. He is knee deep in helping to promote/develope the LTDP which is designed to improve coaching across Canada. He is well educated on the process and value of the badges.

To suggest that those courses are completely without value because a number of famous coaches succeeded without them is absurd. I will not contend that they are absolutely necessary, but to say they are a detriment is well beyond the pale of reason.

So once again::picard:

I've never said it was detriment, please show me where I've said that. I do think freak out because someone doesn't have their badges is ludicrous. And that is what the media and some supporters are currently doing.

Jason Kreis ‏@JasonKreis (https://twitter.com/JasonKreis)
@AlexiLalas (https://twitter.com/AlexiLalas) From one with USSF "A" License: it does not matter! Welcome to Ryan Nelsen - and good luck!

A few??

Sam Allardyce
Jimmy Armfield
Len Ashurst
Ron Atkinson
Alan Ball
Dave Bassett
Ian Branfoot
Michael Buckley
George Burley
Mick Buxton
Frank Clark
Steve Clark
Arthur Cox
Alan Curbishley
Sir Alex Ferguson
Brian Flynn
Gerry Francis
Trevor Francis
Barry Fry
Bobby Gould
Dario Gradi
George Graham
Billy Hamilton
Ray Harford
Trevor Hartley
Glenn Hoddle
Roy Hodgson
Brian Horton
Don Howe
Kevin Keegan
Joe Kinnear
Lennie Lawrence
Brian Little
Lou Macari
Roy McFarland
Colin Murphy
Martin O'Neill
David Pleat
Harry Redknapp
Peter Reid
Bruce Rioch
Sir Bobby Robson
Joe Royle
John Rudge
Dave Sexton
Denis Smith
Jim Smith
Walter Smith
Graeme Souness
Graham Turner
Graham Taylor
Terry Venables
John Ward
Neil Warnock
Danny Wilson
Paul Smith
Micky Adams
Keith Alexander
Kevan Broadhurst
Steve Bruce
Chris Coleman
Andy Hessenthaler
Glyn Hodges
Ian Holloway
Paul Jewell
Andy King
Gary McAllister
Gary Megson
Ronnie Moore
Mike Newell
Rob Newman
David O'Leary
Andy Preece
Peter Reid
Steve McClaren
Mick Tait

Belfast_Boy
01-11-2013, 01:46 PM
So bad mouthing from a distance until you see a winner makes you not a sucker? Alright. Your opinion is well noted, "Toronto".

I'm not sure what else I was expecting from the email. I expected positivity and hope for the season and got it. The appreciation towards the club and support is mutual to an extent but I didn't take offense at it. I don't get why one would. They can't hand us wins in advance...

Pete personally it's this part that I find offensive.

"The commitment and dedication of the management team, the world-class facilities, and the support from Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment make this club a beacon for others in the league."

yes Payne has come but it hasn't washed away the bad taste left by years of mismanagement. only time and progress can do that.
if we are a beacon it's to warn other teams of what can happen without proper stewardship.

there's no reason to send a message like this. a simple greeting and hope for the future would have done a lot more, not marketing propaganda. this was written by someone that is trying to impress their boss and doesn't give a shit about who it's going to.

tfcmanu
01-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Here we go...

Not so fast!

FFS!!!!

GlenM

Who Knows so many people talking???? :drinking:

plume_d'alouette 1 hour ago

I heard he is leaving qpr right now, and that he has unbelievable coaching mind. He really helped NZ in the worldcup somaybe you guys should wait before judging him.

Oldtimer
01-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Devos is really starting to piss me off.

He's been using the "maple leaf factor" to promote himself since he retired from playing.
He was very obviously angling for the President job, which Payne ultimately got.
Then he was pushing for a Canadian to take the head coaching job (he mentioned Daso, which obviously wouldn't happen, but surprise * surprise * DeVos also happens to have his badges).

Yagbod
01-11-2013, 02:06 PM
I've never said it was detriment, please show me where I've said that. I do think freak out because someone doesn't have their badges is ludicrous. And that is what the media and some supporters are currently doing.

@AlexiLalas (https://twitter.com/AlexiLalas) From one with USSF "A" License: it does not matter! Welcome to Ryan Nelsen - and good luck!

Sorry, I thought it was you arguing that earlier. Anyway, I would call that list a 'few' if you were to compare it to the list of coaches that tried and failed without their badges and the list of coaches who have them and have succeeded.

Anyway, did you listen to the whole bit on TFC? I thought they made many good points about the hire. De Vos even admitted that leadership is more important than badges, right off the top. But his points about the badges were excellent and I never took his position as one coming from envy, as you did suggest.

Finally, if you are going to listen to Alexi Lalas over Jason De Vos, well I guess we will have to part ways there.... I have a very low opinion of Lalas.

Oldtimer
01-11-2013, 02:11 PM
I hold an OSA amateur coaching badge.

I don't know how the pro badges differ, but the focus for the amateur badge was on how to teach players.
That's very useful, but doesn't make one a winning coach in and of itself. If the pro badges are similar, then it would be only one factor in making a good coach.

It's like a high school teaching certificate. It means you've been taught how to handle a group of 30-odd students and how to manage workflow. It doesn't mean you actually know what you are talking about, and I'm sure most of us have had a teacher or two that didn't.

tfcmanu
01-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Now This....

Nelsen fails to go gracefully, Herbert in dark OUT OF THE LOOP: All Whites' coach Ricki Herbert is yet to hear from his captain Ryan Nelsen about whether he plans to retire from international football.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/8169918/Nelsen-fails-to-go-gracefully-Herbert-in-dark (http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/8169918/Nelsen-fails-to-go-gracefully-Herbert-in-dark)

Oldtimer
01-11-2013, 02:17 PM
My concern for Nelsen actually isn't with the lack of badges. I think that the lack of coaching experience is a much bigger issue. It's partially made up for by being captain of so many teams, but every coach who was a former player will tell you that it's difficult when you start to know how to translate your playing skills into coaching ones.

TFC07
01-11-2013, 02:23 PM

Stephen Hart is more qualified than Nelsen and he has better knowledge in our region than Nelsen. It will interesting to see what Hart can do with players who can finish their chances. Unlike Nelsen and Payne, Hart has knowledge on Canadian soccer landscape which is important because TFC success is going to lie on Canadian soccer players.

Yagbod
01-11-2013, 02:25 PM

A few??

Now that I think of it. Why are you showing us that list? Where did I say that it was impossible for a coach to succeed without the badges and furthermore that it had never happened before. I don't get your point there.

Greatest Ripoff
01-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Finally, if you are going to listen to Alexi Lalas over Jason De Vos, well I guess we will have to part ways there.... I have a very low opinion of Lalas.

That wasn't a tweet from Lalas, it was to Lalas from Jason Kreis. Kreis was saying that as someone who has a badge and has won an MLS cup it isn't that important.

Greatest Ripoff
01-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Now that I think of it. Why are you showing us that list? Where did I say that it was impossible for a coach to succeed without the badges and furthermore that it had never happened before. I don't get your point there.

The point is, that it doesn't matter if you have your badges or not and people like Devos should not thinking the entire world of coaching is going to be destroyed because someone without their badge is getting a professional coaching job. As I pointed out, it is not uncommon for ex players to go straight into coaching without their badges and succeed.

Yagbod
01-11-2013, 03:00 PM
The point is, that it doesn't matter if you have your badges or not and people like Devos should not thinking the entire world of coaching is going to be destroyed because someone without their badge is getting a professional coaching job. As I pointed out, it is not uncommon for ex players to go straight into coaching without their badges and succeed.

"entire world of coaching is going to be destroyed" - that is a bit of an overstatement and not anything he said or alluded to.

"it is not uncommon for ex players to go straight into coaching without their badges and succeed" - does that mean it is preferable that they do not have their badges? Otherwise, I do not get your point. The IKEA monkey could succeed at coaching TFC, but it is less likely than a human succeeding when viewed at the outset of their being hired. Nelsen could turn out to be the next Bill Shankly. But, from the outset it seems less likely that he would compared to someone who has had training.

I simply cannot accept that it is better that someone has no training when entering a new field or profession. Is it possible that they can still succeed? To be sure. But is it more likely to be a success than someone with training? I doubt it.

We are talking about the optics of the hire. We cannot measure success until he starts. People seem to be saying that it is better that he has no badges. I still cannot fathom why that is counted as a plus.

Greatest Ripoff
01-11-2013, 03:08 PM
I simply cannot accept that it is better that someone has no training when entering a new field or profession.

I have never once said it was better not to have badges, that is twice now that you have said that. I don't think coaching badges are a valid point to get caught up on. Badges or not, some coaches succeed and some fail. If you look at the numbers there seems to be no correlation between success and coaching badges. I am not saying Nelsen will be a success, but I am saying you can't automatically say he will be a failure because he doesn't have badges.

Greatest Ripoff
01-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Also, I don't care about optics. In pro sports, optics are for deceiving people. I want transparency and what is really happening.

Yagbod
01-11-2013, 03:12 PM
I have never once said it was better not to have badges, that is twice now that you have said that. I don't think coaching badges are a valid point to get caught up on. Badges or not, some coaches succeed and some fail. If you look at the numbers there seems to be no correlation between success and coaching badges. I am not saying Nelsen will be a success, but I am saying you can't automatically say he will be a failure because he doesn't have badges.

And I never said that! Well, this is going well...

ag futbol
01-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Stephen Hart is more qualified than Nelsen and he has better knowledge in our region than Nelsen. It will interesting to see what Hart can do with players who can finish their chances. Unlike Nelsen and Payne, Hart has knowledge on Canadian soccer landscape which is important because TFC success is going to lie on Canadian soccer players.
Everything Hart has ever done is drawn into question by the fact that its be done for the CSA. You can't really get an objective valuation off that, because the organization is so dysfunctional it's hard to tell if someone is doing good work.

As of right now, Canaidans have very little to do with TFC's success or failure. That could change in the future, but at the current point and time, it's more likely that it will be based on our ability to draft scout americans and pick up internationals. The valid comparison (if we're talking scouting) is Payne vs. Hart btw, it's not Nelsen vs. Hart. Because we've split scouting / coaching duties.

denime
01-11-2013, 03:54 PM

A few??

Sam Allardyce
Jimmy Armfield
Len Ashurst
Ron Atkinson
Alan Ball
Dave Bassett
Ian Branfoot
Michael Buckley
George Burley
Mick Buxton
Frank Clark
Steve Clark
Arthur Cox
Alan Curbishley
Sir Alex Ferguson
Brian Flynn
Gerry Francis
Trevor Francis
Barry Fry
Bobby Gould
Dario Gradi
George Graham
Billy Hamilton
Ray Harford
Trevor Hartley
Glenn Hoddle
Roy Hodgson
Brian Horton
Don Howe
Kevin Keegan
Joe Kinnear
Lennie Lawrence
Brian Little
Lou Macari
Roy McFarland
Colin Murphy
Martin O'Neill
David Pleat
Harry Redknapp
Peter Reid
Bruce Rioch
Sir Bobby Robson
Joe Royle
John Rudge
Dave Sexton
Denis Smith
Jim Smith
Walter Smith
Graeme Souness
Graham Turner
Graham Taylor
Terry Venables
John Ward
Neil Warnock
Danny Wilson
Paul Smith
Micky Adams
Keith Alexander
Kevan Broadhurst
Steve Bruce
Chris Coleman
Andy Hessenthaler
Glyn Hodges
Ian Holloway
Paul Jewell
Andy King
Gary McAllister
Gary Megson
Ronnie Moore
Mike Newell
Rob Newman
David O'Leary
Andy Preece
Peter Reid
Steve McClaren
Mick Tait

When I see how many coaches from GB don't have license,no wonder English NT is in such a bad shape and without any decent results since'66,EPL is full with coaches from all over the world(with licenses of course). :D

OgtheDim
01-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Stephen Hart is ...

not going to get this job until he proves he can get past the NT debacle.

Yohan
01-11-2013, 04:51 PM
http://nasn.tv/2013/the-big-question-episode-14/

On this edition of The Big Question, host Aaron Stollar is joined by Duane Rollins, Managing Editor of Canadian Soccer News and Richard Whittall, Editor of Score Media Inc’s Counter Attack blog. Today’s show focuses on the recent appointments of Kevin Payne as President and General Manager and Ryan Nelsen as head coach as well as Toronto FC’s current ownership structure.

An hr long discussion of TFC. Interesting that Stollar thinks Kevin Payne is a egotistical control freak. Apparently meddled in picking first teams and such

A lot of interesting stuff worth listening to (esp if you're an Anti Payne guy lol)

OgtheDim
01-11-2013, 06:56 PM
He's a European style manager - he'll pick the team with input from the coaching staff.

He just won't stroll the sidelines making funny gesticulations.

Better then Saputo picking the team.

Toronto
01-11-2013, 07:25 PM

Yes. The following since "EPL" is all that matters the British types on the board. I doubt if the Kiwi was playing in Holland there'd be any joy in UK village.

Jim Brennan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Brennan) – Norwich City F.C. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwich_City_F.C.) – 2004–05
Terry Dunfield (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Dunfield) – Manchester City F.C. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_City_F.C.) – 2000–01
David Edgar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Edgar_(footballer)) – Newcastle United F.C. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcastle_United_F.C.), Burnley F.C. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnley_F.C.) – 2006–10
Craig Forrest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Forrest) – Ipswich Town F.C. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipswich_Town_F.C.), Chelsea F.C. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_F.C.), West Ham United F.C. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Ham_United_F.C.) – 1992–95, 1996–01
David Hoilett (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hoilett) – Blackburn Rovers F.C. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackburn_Rovers_F.C.), QPR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QPR) – 2009–2012, 2012-
Simeon Jackson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simeon_Jackson) – Norwich City F.C. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwich_City_F.C.) – 2011–12
Tomasz Radzinski (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomasz_Radzinski) – Everton F.C. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everton_F.C.), Fulham F.C. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulham_F.C.) – 2001–07
Paul Stalteri (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Stalteri) – Tottenham Hotspur F.C. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tottenham_Hotspur_F.C.), Fulham F.C. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulham_F.C.) – 2005–08
Frank Yallop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Yallop) – Ipswich Town F.C. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipswich_Town_F.C.) – 1992–95

Hell are few are actually still playing. They're in BOLD and I think we could dig into the Ontario College system for assistants if the current bench mark for those is NCAA Div 3 squads in Maine. lol

Detroit_TFC
01-11-2013, 07:28 PM
I'm listening to the podcast now. Bit put off by Stollar's long monologue about Payne (about midway through).

Detroit_TFC
01-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Stollar really really really doesn't like Payne.

I finished listening to it but I get the sense that Duane R and Whittall weren't on there to talk about TFC but rather for Stollar to tell them about how terrible Payne is. Meh.

Redpunkfiddle
01-11-2013, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE=Oldtimer;1551578]My concern for Nelsen actually isn't with the lack of badges. /QUOTE]

VqomZQMZQCQ

PopePouri
01-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Stollar really really really doesn't like Payne.

I finished listening to it but I get the sense that Duane R and Whittall weren't on there to talk about TFC but rather for Stollar to tell them about how terrible Payne is. Meh.

It's interesting they attributed DC's loss of performance over the last couple of years to KP, however they forget last year when they were runners up in the East.

ag futbol
01-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Yes. The following since "EPL" is all that matters the British types on the board. I doubt if the Kiwi was playing in Holland there'd be any joy in UK village.

Hell are few are actually still playing. They're in BOLD and I think we could dig into the Ontario College system for assistants if the current bench mark for those is NCAA Div 3 squads in Maine. lol
Lol, I don’t know who you’re trying to paint into that corner but you won’t find me extoling the virtues of the way the English do things or the EPL. As for the players you’ve listed, which ones do you think have the personal characteristics of Ryan Nelsen? I’m going to go with none of them.

For the D3 coach, you’re missing the point. He’s not here because he’s a D3 coach; he’s here because he’s highly familiar with both Nelsen and Payne. On a team where people always had such an issue working with each other we are eliminating all the guess work. No more Winter says X Mariner does Y. No more Mo Johnston does A and coach does Z.

We are putting together a group of people who can work together for the first time and are highly-familiar with each other. I’m not guaranteeing it is going to work or going to deny in some ways it looks speculative, but it makes a lot more sense than finding mis-mashes of external candidates who we really don’t know if they will work together.

Yohan
01-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Lol, I don’t know who you’re trying to paint into that corner but you won’t find me extoling the virtues of the way the English do things or the EPL. As for the players you’ve listed, which ones do you think have the personal characteristics of Ryan Nelsen? I’m going to go with none of them.

For the D3 coach, you’re missing the point. He’s not here because he’s a D3 coach; he’s here because he’s highly familiar with both Nelsen and Payne. On a team where people always had such an issue working with each other we are eliminating all the guess work. No more Winter says X Mariner does Y. No more Mo Johnston does A and coach does Z.

We are putting together a group of people who can work together for the first time and are highly-familiar with each other. I’m not guaranteeing it is going to work or going to deny in some ways it looks speculative, but it makes a lot more sense than finding mis-mashes of external candidates who we really don’t know if they will work together.or actively trying to sabotage each other...

Oldtimer
01-12-2013, 03:52 PM
It's interesting they attributed DC's loss of performance over the last couple of years to KP, however they forget last year when they were runners up in the East. Their view of KP doesn't match what DC Supporters say about the man.

In the end KP will be judged by if the team wins, not by whether his style is hands on. Hands on is only a problem if it's an engineer making the decisions.

TFC Cityboy
01-12-2013, 04:06 PM
People...can we please give Payne the benefit of the doubt and get behind the boys in red this season?

I've been as vocal as many in demanding Anselmi out, Mariner and Cochrane out and lower ST prices. We've got all but Cochrane out so I'd humbly suggest we cut Payne some slack, see how this all pans out over the season and make judgement then.

I get that the optics of hiring a coach who may or may not be here til June is a tad unusual and a massive gamble, but the guy built a friggin dynasty in DC so let's give him time to see what he can do here.

:)

lobo
01-12-2013, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=Oldtimer;1551578]My concern for Nelsen actually isn't with the lack of badges. /QUOTE]

VqomZQMZQCQ

hehe, i was waiting for that!

Oldtimer
01-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Ahhh, but we could have had Peter Wilt instead of Payne (fired from Chicago in 2005 and hasn't worked in MLS since). Yes, its gotten that ridiculous.

I'm with you, Cityboy. I'm giving them this season to prove their stuff. A significant improvement is all I need to see for this year.

Ajax TFC
01-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Ahhh, but we could have had Peter Wilt instead of Payne (fired from Chicago in 2005 and hasn't worked in MLS since). Yes, its gotten that ridiculous.

I'm with you, Cityboy. I'm giving them this season to prove their stuff. A significant improvement is all I need to see for this year.
this x1000
When we all wanted a soccer president, many would have been happy with anyone with a half decent record (as evidenced by the calls for Wilt). Instead we got the guy in charge of the most successful team in MLS. Now people are all over him for his first choice before even seeing how it works out

bman27
01-12-2013, 08:35 PM
I'm really starting to get the feeling that a lot of our media types around here wouldn't have been happy with the selection of president unless it was their obviously superior choice. seems like the hockey media is rubbing some of their self righteousness off on them.........

jazzy
01-12-2013, 11:01 PM
People...can we please give Payne the benefit of the doubt and get behind the boys in red this season?

I've been as vocal as many in demanding Anselmi out, Mariner and Cochrane out and lower ST prices. We've got all but Cochrane out so I'd humbly suggest we cut Payne some slack, see how this all pans out over the season and make judgement then.

I get that the optics of hiring a coach who may or may not be here til June is a tad unusual and a massive gamble, but the guy built a friggin dynasty in DC so let's give him time to see what he can do here.

:)

yup, I'm looking forward to a man with vision, grit and class being in our organization...BUT most of all there is no way we do not have a rock solid back-4, after a few games Nelson will demand that and know how to get it done and that is the essential beginning, of quality. Maybe even Ecks will simply play his position for once...sorry but he's easily beaten if you realize he's always overaggressive. Anyway we may fair badly but , start with the back 4, then next year get aggressive for goals, and MID's. Thats all I ask.

Yohan
01-13-2013, 10:19 PM
http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-3/Kevin-Payne-with-Jeff-Blair-jb-20130109-Interview.mp3

did anyone listen to this Kevin Payne interview?

Oldtimer
01-13-2013, 11:04 PM
http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-3/Kevin-Payne-with-Jeff-Blair-jb-20130109-Interview.mp3

did anyone listen to this Kevin Payne interview?

That was posted here several days ago. It's a good interview.

Oldtimer
01-14-2013, 08:52 AM
The New Zealander Ryan Nelsen is most often compared with - Wynton Rufer - believes the new Toronto manager has every chance of succeeding in his latest endeavour and predicts a managerial career for Nelsen that could go beyond the MLS.
Former World Cup All Whites coach John Adshead thinks that Nelsen's future could possibly include managing in the English Premier League or other big competitions.

Rufer, one of the few Kiwis with experience of football at the highest level, spending six successful seasons with Werder Bremen in the Bundesliga, has no doubts Nelsen has got what it takes.

"He has so much experience and knows what is coming," says Rufer. "And in his mind, he will believe he is ready. To make it as a footballer at the highest level, you have to have an unbelievable level of self-confidence - and Ryan won't lose that. It's a massive opportunity and an unbelievable position to get, really - to go straight into such a position from playing is very rare in football."
Rufer adds a note of caution, saying the scale of the challenge cannot be underestimated.

"There is obviously a lot to do [at Toronto]," says Rufer. "The owners are on his side and will be patient but he will need to deliver. He'll need to make good signings, build good structures and make good decisions."
The 35-year-old will be one of the youngest managers in a major professional league.

Adshead adds that Nelsen's Premier League background at blue collar clubs (excepting his brief spell at Spurs) set him up well for the challenges ahead.

"The managers that he has worked with - Mark Hughes, Steve Kean, Sam Allardyce - never had millions of pounds to spend and couldn't just buy any players they wanted," says Adshead. "That is a great learning environment. I think he has got the ability - possibly - to eventually manage in the Premier League or one of the other big competitions, though at the moment, he is completely untried. The next 12-18 months could lay the platform for the rest of his life."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10858748

Canary10
01-14-2013, 09:47 AM
I watched the Tottenham-QPR game Saturday morning. Both commentators thought Nelsen would be a top coach (for what that's worth). I have yet to hear anyone who has any significant knowledge of Ryan Nelsen say anything other than he'll be a great coach.

SirBobSaget
01-14-2013, 10:07 AM
I watched the Tottenham-QPR game Saturday morning. Both commentators thought Nelsen would be a top coach (for what that's worth). I have yet to hear anyone who has any significant knowledge of Ryan Nelsen say anything other than he'll be a great coach.

The only negative comments have come from those with ulterior motives (Devos with getting jobs for Canadians & "Badges!!!") and the media guys that are bitter their valuable inside source and drama creator Paul Mariner is gone.

jabbronies
01-14-2013, 10:58 AM
This is a new era for TFC. I think as supporters/fans/onlookers who come to a supporters message board 15 times a day... should give the "new" club a chance to prove itself. Let's not jump down the throats of the team until at least August/September.

The same should be done for Nelsen. Let's not entertain the idea that it's time to call for his head or constantly complain about his lack of experience until at least the end of the season. It's one thing to discuss it, it's another to thing to bicker like little old ladies.

ryan
01-14-2013, 11:03 AM
This is a new era for TFC. I think as supporters/fans/onlookers who come to a supporters message board 15 times a day... should give the "new" club a chance to prove itself. Let's not jump down the throats of the team until at least August/September.

The same should be done for Nelsen. Let's not entertain the idea that it's time to call for his head or constantly complain about his lack of experience until at least the end of the season. It's one thing to discuss it, it's another to thing to bicker like little old ladies.

August/Sept even seems a bit premature. Results aren't expected this year from the club, they haven't hidden that.

I just want to see progress....and if it's seen, then someone punching Anselmi when his ADD kicks in and his hand starts to hover the BIG RED ABORT button. Progress doesn't mean results either....this team has alot of work to do just to get going towards regular results. Until those steps are taken, it's just pissing in the wind and trying to stay dry. Do the work Nelsen and you got my support always.

Yagbod
01-14-2013, 11:20 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0a596-4Jo_A/TjsZxHc0Q0I/AAAAAAAAAEE/Jn0GzrQETg0/s400/everything.is.okay.JPG

jabbronies
01-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Also remember - Nelsen isn't here to create TFC's on-field product, he is here to execute Payne's vision of the on-field product.
Payne himself said he is a meddler. Which means he wants to call the shots in terms of playing style, player selection, player management etc. He is the one leading the draft.

This is what people on the message board wanted and they bombarded Anselmi with this message. They wanted a president who would run the club and be accountable for what happens on the pitch. When a president is the person dictating the vision of the club, then everyone else is just an executor of that vision (i.e Brian Burke and the Leafs setup).

OgtheDim
01-14-2013, 11:32 AM
I just want to see progress....and if it's seen, then someone punching Anselmi when his ADD kicks in and his hand starts to hover the BIG RED ABORT button. ...

Anselmi doesn't have the power to do that anymore, it seems.

Bogers is nothing if not attentive to detail.

pdogg
01-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Also remember - Nelsen isn't here to create TFC's on-field product, he is here to execute Payne's vision of the on-field product.
Payne himself said he is a meddler. Which means he wants to call the shots in terms of playing style, player selection, player management etc. He is the one leading the draft.

Exactly - And it allows us to have consistency over multiple head coaches, soemthing that hasn't happened before. If/When Nelsen leaves TFC, Payne just needs to find someone else with the similar style and compability and off they go.

jabbronies
01-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Exactly - And it allows us to have consistency over multiple head coaches, soemthing that hasn't happened before. If/When Nelsen leaves TFC, Payne just needs to find someone else with the similar style and compability and off they go.

...and someone willing to just follow orders. That's the good thing about young managers. They are easier to manipulate. Probably the reason he has always looked to youth instead of experience in this position.

mowe
01-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Forbes article on the Nelson hiring (not positive): http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmahon/2013/01/14/kevin-paynes-maverick-appointment-of-nelsen-unnecessary-and-inexplicable/

And what about the players? A wise man once said that the coaches main job is make sure that he has left his players with no excuses for a poor performance. It would seem to me that Payne has just offered the Toronto 2013 squad a bumper crop of reasons why loses are not their fault.
All in all Payne’s decision is one of a maverick – it could work but the chances are very slim. Given the situation Toronto FC was in need of a safe pair of hands but instead the head coach position has been handed to an apprentice.

notthesun
01-14-2013, 05:49 PM
Dobson (https://twitter.com/SNGerryDobson/status/290942227335761920): "TFC President Kevin Payne says fans will be "happy" when they hear when Nelsen will arrive. Not sure when that is though."