PDA

View Full Version : Impact hires Marco Schallibaum as manager

Yohan
01-07-2013, 10:08 AM
50 yr old Swiss manager with experience in Swiss league

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/news/2013/01/marco-sch%C3%A4llibaum-appointed-head-coach-montreal-impact

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Sch%C3%A4llibaum

Not exactly impressive resume

Ajax TFC
01-07-2013, 10:25 AM
The real question is: does he have experience working with Italians? If so, that would explain it why.

Relja
01-07-2013, 10:59 AM
The real question is: does he have experience working with Italians? If so, that would explain it why.

I think Italian is one of the 3 main languages of Switzerland. So if he has experience in the Swiss league, he should have experience with some Italian players as well as possibly some of the language

Yohan
01-07-2013, 11:02 AM
I think Italian is one of the 3 main languages of Switzerland. So if he has experience in the Swiss league, he should have experience with some Italian players as well as possibly some of the language

He speaks Italian. Italian Swiss makes up about 10% of Switzerland IIRC

Super
01-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Experienced manager. Good for them. I wish we'd do the same.

Yohan
01-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Experienced manager. Good for them. I wish we'd do the same.

the guy seems to leave a club after year or two, and haven't managed a club since 2010 and a swiss 2nd div club at that.

Detroit_TFC
01-07-2013, 11:32 AM
IMO likely met the #1 job requirement - agree with anything Joey Saputo wants to do.

Phil
01-07-2013, 11:41 AM
IMO likely met the #1 job requirement - agree with anything Joey Saputo wants to do.

Bingo. Its Joeys way or the highway.

Joe Kool
01-07-2013, 12:05 PM
It may just be me but I think decisions like this, hiring this international coach without a real solid record and no MLS experience is just going to make the Impact look like TFC part 2 as they go down the road of coaching experiments like we did. I say he is lucky to finish the year off once he gets here in MLS. Maybe I will be wrong. Just seems like the kind of move TFC would make. Obviously even MLS experienced coaches haven't helped us either so far. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Super
01-07-2013, 01:32 PM
the guy seems to leave a club after year or two, and haven't managed a club since 2010 and a swiss 2nd div club at that.

He was busy working as an instructor for FIFA: "After leaving FC Lugan he was hired as a FIFA coaching instructor in Qatar, Mongolia and South Korea."

You think Mariner would be able to get a FIFA coaching instructor job? They might use him to sweep the floors.

But yes, he's been moving around a lot, but that's the nature of the beast. At least he's done the job before.

Super
01-07-2013, 01:36 PM
It may just be me but I think decisions like this, hiring this international coach without a real solid record and no MLS experience is just going to make the Impact look like TFC part 2 as they go down the road of coaching experiments like we did. I say he is lucky to finish the year off once he gets here in MLS. Maybe I will be wrong. Just seems like the kind of move TFC would make. Obviously even MLS experienced coaches haven't helped us either so far. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

We've only ever hired one coach to manage our first team with actual REAL first-team head coaching experience, and that's Preki. He had 3 years with Chivas and made the play-offs every year. However, he also had a pretty bad rep, but we ignored that. The rest of our coaches have all been youth and assistant coaches - pretty much. I'd say the odds that Montreal does better with this guy is a lot better than us doing well with any of our picks. At least, AT LEAST, this Marco dude has done the job before.

ag futbol
01-07-2013, 01:59 PM
I hesitate to put in any sort of prediction as to how this will turn out. They could have churned out some big name and my immediate reaction would have been relatively neutral. The MLS graveyard of foreign coaches is a long and distinguished list.

Anyway, at the least they seem to be backstopped by good amount of talent. Saputo making Montreal his pet project makes this team somewhat unique for the league, could go well or poorly.

Yohan
01-07-2013, 02:19 PM
I hesitate to put in any sort of prediction as to how this will turn out. They could have churned out some big name and my immediate reaction would have been relatively neutral. The MLS graveyard of foreign coaches is a long and distinguished list.

Anyway, at the least they seem to be backstopped by good amount of talent. Saputo making Montreal his pet project makes this team somewhat unique for the league, could go well or poorly.
what talent? bunch of old Serie A geezers? only players I'd take out of Mtl right now is Felipe Martin and Ferrari. maybe Wenger as a long term project.

see what happens if Felipe Martin gets injured again. Mtl will crash.

Toronto
01-07-2013, 08:18 PM
what talent? bunch of old Serie A geezers? only players I'd take out of Mtl right now is Felipe Martin and Ferrari. maybe Wenger as a long term project.

I agree. Being in LAST place and having the worst possible roster in the MLS, there are very few players on any other MLS team that I'd want for us. LOL. Fick I'd exchange our roster with every other single roster in the league. Let's get real.

OgtheDim
01-07-2013, 08:32 PM
I agree. Being in LAST place and having the worst possible roster in the MLS, there are very few players on any other MLS team that I'd want for us. LOL. Fick I'd exchange our roster with every other single roster in the league. Let's get real.

There are rosters that can get you somewhere, and then there are rosters that will possibly get you somewhere now but will definitely hinder you in the future.

Montreal is setting themselves up for future disappointment.

Toronto
01-08-2013, 07:15 PM
There are rosters that can get you somewhere, and then there are rosters that will possibly get you somewhere now but will definitely hinder you in the future.

Do you actually believe that this current roster will win more games last year?

ag futbol
01-08-2013, 07:30 PM

They might be old in many ways but they are solid. Rivas is a standout when healthy. Camara is versatile. Bernier was playing at an all-star level last year and is a perfect player to complement Felipe. What more really needs to be said about a player like Nesta? If Maldini can play Series A at an advanced age, Nesta can more than hack the requirements in this league for more than a couple of years if he has the motivation.

Just my opinion but I think they can make playoffs if they address a few weak areas (strikers, wide play). You could just as easily be right, all speculation on my part... not quite ready to dismiss the team because of its quirks.

ag futbol
01-08-2013, 07:42 PM

I think that's a bit of matter for debate. Certainly in TFC's case our older players ended up being injury prone and at the end of their useful lives. They've got some old injury prone parts but they're also back-stopped by depth.

Is that roster going to get them anywhere long run? no, but who said they were going to keep the same roster or thinking long run. With the salary cap and everything else it takes to hold down a team over a period of years in many ways it's impractical to build long run in MLS. If you can hit the right mix of players quickly and make a run, I think reasoning stands that you go for it. I think that's probably Saputo's plan. Bring in the best guys he can right away, if the don't work... we'll there's always more where they came from.

Got them off to a reasonable start last year (and remember they didn't add a lot of those parts until half way through the season) and we'll have to see how they fair in 2013.

Yohan
01-08-2013, 10:30 PM
I think that's a bit of matter for debate. Certainly in TFC's case our older players ended up being injury prone and at the end of their useful lives. They've got some old injury prone parts but they're also back-stopped by depth.

Is that roster going to get them anywhere long run? no, but who said they were going to keep the same roster or thinking long run. With the salary cap and everything else it takes to hold down a team over a period of years in many ways it's impractical to build long run in MLS. If you can hit the right mix of players quickly and make a run, I think reasoning stands that you go for it. I think that's probably Saputo's plan. Bring in the best guys he can right away, if the don't work... we'll there's always more where they came from.

Got them off to a reasonable start last year (and remember they didn't add a lot of those parts until half way through the season) and we'll have to see how they fair in 2013.

Past 3 years, the best teams in MLS like LA, RSL, Seattle and Houston had very stable roster, esp in avg MLSer type to build the core of the team around. We will see how KC and SJ do next season, but I suspect those 2 teams will stay competitive.

It's a gamble to sign a bunch of players and hope that they develop chemistry quick... and it's something TFC has done every season. I'd rather let KP slowly build up the roster with players that will stay together for at least 3 years for a good playoff run

Yohan
01-10-2013, 03:26 PM
http://www.socceramerica.com/article/49894/montreal-says-non-to-americans.html

Montreal, aiming to be Chivas USA version 2