PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Sunday, Dec.30

Nerepis
12-30-2012, 08:58 AM
Nothing today, please post if you find anything.

TFC/MLS blogs thread (http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?29582-TFC-MLS-blogs-thread/page34)

Sunshine Girl (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

Redcoe15
12-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Corrupt FIFA idiot Sepp Blather slams MLS and casts doubts about its future, fucking knobface.

http://majorleaguesoccertalk.com/2012/12/30/fifa-president-sepp-blatter-slams-mls-casts-doubts-on-future-of-league-video/

Richard
12-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Corrupt FIFA idiot Sepp Blather slams MLS and casts doubts about its future, fucking knobface.

http://majorleaguesoccertalk.com/2012/12/30/fifa-president-sepp-blatter-slams-mls-casts-doubts-on-future-of-league-video/

What a tool this guy is. Sure its not mainstream yet but the local level has grown greatly, MLS has made a lot of progress since TFC has joined.

I think he needs to cast doubt on teams in Europe, MLS has fiscal stability which is why i dont see this league folding.

TFC07
12-30-2012, 07:24 PM
What a tool this guy is. Sure its not mainstream yet but the local level has grown greatly, MLS has made a lot of progress since TFC has joined.

I think he needs to cast doubt on teams in Europe, MLS has fiscal stability which is why i dont see this league folding.

Agreed, but some will argue and say MLS is moving too slow and holding teams back to be competitive. What MLS has going for them is that sport of soccer is growing in North America. I think MLS will eventually pass NHL in USA in terms of support (both money and ratings), but it will never be in same level with NFL, MLB and even NBA in USA. In Canada, I think MLS will become close to CFL level in support but ahead of CFL in terms of making money as long Canadian teams win and develop Canadian talent that will help national team to qualify for world cup.

Nerepis
12-30-2012, 08:41 PM
This guy is a corrupt tool, if someone throws a little cash at him under the table the MLS will overnight become a model league, the envy of the world.

Fort York Redcoat
12-31-2012, 08:13 AM

Way to vindicate every North American sports fan who hates soccer, dumbass. This message builds me a tin foil hat that says he'd rather keep building the foreign footy fan base than a viable domestic league in our crowded sports landscape. But the ignorance is a two way street. Sepp doesn't acknowledge the competition in the American Sports landscape and the rest of the sports fans in America ignore the growth of his game.

TOBOR !
12-31-2012, 09:21 AM
There must be a US-led coup of sorts taking place at FIFA house. Normal Blatter behaviour is to shine a positive light on the game, regardless of the reality (Bettmanesque, if you will).

Somebody down there must be making Sepp squirm in his lederhosen and he's lashing out.

Finally, the beginning of the end.

bigredone
12-31-2012, 05:48 PM
His comments are a good sign then. It is a great day when your anger is turned into hope. CHEERS!!!

Kaz
12-31-2012, 06:39 PM
His comments about MLS aren't really wrong I mean it's been nearly 20 years since the World Cup in the US and it still can't keep a person interest on TV.

But I think part of that comes from something less in MLS control.

My father likes that I like watching a Team Sport, I was never into sports as a kid, and he tried get into MLS so he could share that with me, and he does follow it so he can have conversations with me. Last March after being at the Dome his first live game, he said to me, that he had to see it live to get it. Either it's hard to cover live on TV unless you like already, or and more likely, North American Camera Crews don't know what they are doing... and that seems to be the issue to it's television success. That and over crowding.

In the US you have NFL, College Ball, Baseball, NBA, College Ball, NHL and Golf (in no order). In the UK you have EPL, SPL, Championship, UEFA, Rugby Union, Rugby League Cricket and Golf.

In the US you have 4 Major Sports leagues already on plus college variations, in the UK you have Football, Football, Football, Football, Football, Football, Rugby, Football, and Cricket. Another sport could take hold, if there was as series a push in the UK for a Professional Hockey league as there has been for Soccer in the US, you'd likely have it on TV doing well. And they'd likely hire people from North America to shot it.

So you have the two major issues, saturation by other sports, and not a great broadcast quality.

The game it self gets people excited, my father would go to a game with me any time. If the front office deserved my money this season I would have been down there a few times this season with him. He enjoys it live, but the broadcast quality makes it seem slow and boring.

Greatest Ripoff
12-31-2012, 07:47 PM
His comments about MLS aren't really wrong I mean it's been nearly 20 years since the World Cup in the US and it still can't keep a person interest on TV.

Except that the MLS has the 8th highest average attendance in world football. Higher than south American leagues and some big leagues in Europe. Hard to call it a failure.

Kaz
01-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Except that the MLS has the 8th highest average attendance in world football. Higher than south American leagues and some big leagues in Europe. Hard to call it a failure.

And the jackass didn't call it a failure, and he didn't really cast doubts on the league really either.

What he said is that Soccer is the most popular sport in Youth, but there isn't a strong professional league that is recognized by the population as a whole. The context of what is saying is that in a league with 345 million potential fans you would have expected more in a decade in a half. (by the way the population pool for MLS is the same as ALL of South America. LA, Chicago, Toronto and NY have more metro population combined population then any SA nation but Brazil)

The product on the field is entertaining enough for people to watch in the stands but the Television Product is not good, for people to get interested. The production values are weak, Hockey suffers a similar issue, remember the blue dot that Canadians laughed at when it showed up on American Broadcasts.

MLS has not worked with it's broadcast partners to produce a more appealing television product and because of that Americans aren't tuning in.

I don't like the guy, but he had a point, and if you take it in context it's not as bad as it was made out to be.

Fort York Redcoat
01-01-2013, 12:22 PM
^ Interesting take. I don't think you'll get many disagreeing the broadast here needs work but I think it's a challenge once they fix the basic camera angles down. The flash of a slick broadcast is appreciated more than anywhere else I'd say when it comes to the general sports fan but some feel that the flash takes away from the game (constant graphics intruding) so it's a sticky decion trying to find what to make the NA broadcast look like with so many different fans of the game.

Kaz
01-01-2013, 05:10 PM
^ Interesting take. I don't think you'll get many disagreeing the broadast here needs work but I think it's a challenge once they fix the basic camera angles down. The flash of a slick broadcast is appreciated more than anywhere else I'd say when it comes to the general sports fan but some feel that the flash takes away from the game (constant graphics intruding) so it's a sticky decion trying to find what to make the NA broadcast look like with so many different fans of the game.

Well if I go just by my fathers experience, a man that will watch lawn bowling if it'll put sports on the TV, he found at the Quarter Final Game in March, that there is a tactical side to it that he doesn't notice on tv because you loose the big picture. When guys make a run up a wing, you see that coming and the anticipation really gets you. On TV they focus totally on the ball and stay in tight. A lot of that has to do with how different Soccer is to any other North American sport.

Football is a forward moving game, that starts on a line, and much of the play happens inside a 10 yard area, hockey is on a comparatively small surface, Baseball is very easy to track, and the NBA again very small surface.

Football is on a Large surface, and play moves in all directions, and play isn't always centred on the ball... important elements of play could be happening on the other side of the field. So the key to selling it, is knowing when to be tight, and when to be wide.

My Father never sat that whole game, he thought it was thrilling, and he'd love to see it again, thought it was as good as any sport he's watched, when Plata would make his runs, he said you don't see that on TV, being able to see that changes everything, you see the movement, and the tactics more clearly. I felt bad I didn't get him out again this year, but I was embarrassed by the product, and had no interest in giving MLSE my money.

And that is part of it, when you don't know the rules totally, and you aren't totally clear one how people got to one spot to another it's tough.. It's like watching chess focused on just one piece at a time.

ag futbol
01-01-2013, 07:40 PM
The product on the field is entertaining enough for people to watch in the stands but the Television Product is not good, for people to get interested. The production values are weak, Hockey suffers a similar issue, remember the blue dot that Canadians laughed at when it showed up on American Broadcasts.

I think that's a good point. They've done some things right, but other areas need to be improved. To me, MLS in general just isn't a product that can easily be consumed on TV, no matter how good the production value is. There's still a lot of cringe worthy moments and I can see how it doesn't really capture the imagination of a neutral audience.

I think there are a lot of things they could do in terms of player contracts and salary cap structure that would drastically improve the quality and not necessarily cost them any additional money. Not sure when the next CBA is but I hope for some monumental changes this time around.