SEMI-FINAL SERIES:
1st Leg on 24 April 2013 – FC Edmonton vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC
1st Leg on 24 April 2013 – Toronto FC vs. Impact Montréal
2nd Leg on 1 May 2013 – Impact Montréal vs. Toronto FC
2nd Leg on 1 May 2013 – Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs. FC Edmonton

FINAL SERIES:
1st Leg on 15 May 2013
2nd Leg on 29 May 2013

I am looking forward to a second road trip of the season to Montreal on May 1. It should be an interesting tourney this year, in which the Reds will hopefully defend their title.

prizby
12-23-2012, 06:51 AM
hold on...despite being RETURNING CHAMPIONS, not only don't we get seeded #1, but we have to play the 2nd leg on the road...what type of bush league competition is this?

Auzzy
12-23-2012, 10:32 AM
hold on...despite being RETURNING CHAMPIONS, not only don't we get seeded #1, but we have to play the 2nd leg on the road...what type of bush league competition is this?

It's based on league standing now. Frankly, after TFC's performance over the whole year, I would be pretty embarrassed to be seeded above Vancouver or Montreal.

A.J
12-23-2012, 10:33 AM
I thought the seeding was based on league position.

EDIT: ^ you beat me to it

prizby
12-24-2012, 12:14 AM
i realize its on league position, but how many cups base their cup seeding on league position; england they don't, european leagues they don't; in fact you in europe, the returning champion is automatically a #1 seed

Richard
12-24-2012, 02:14 AM
Pfft who cares about seeding. We will win the damn thing anyway, cant wait for what excuse they come up with this time. g:D

__wowza
12-24-2012, 04:52 AM
is it just me, or does anyone else put the voyagers cup on par if not greater then making it into the playoffs?
if we make it into the playoffs and lose this tournament i'd be kinda devastated.

pdogg
12-24-2012, 07:54 AM
is it just me, or does anyone else put the voyagers cup on par if not greater then making it into the playoffs?
if we make it into the playoffs and lose this tournament i'd be kinda devastated.

I put them on par as an expectation - I expect us to make the playoffs, and I expect us to win the V-Cup. However, having not gone to the playoffs, it would be huge for us to qualify. And not winning the VCup, I don't remember how that feels :)

MartinUtd
12-24-2012, 08:47 AM
I look forward to the long and steeped tradition of Vancouver not winning.

Fort York Redcoat
12-24-2012, 08:53 AM

Not just you, bud.

Fort York Redcoat
12-24-2012, 08:56 AM
2013 AMWAY CANADIAN CHAMPIONSHIP

SEMI-FINAL SERIES:
1st Leg on 24 April 2013 – FC Edmonton vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC
1st Leg on 24 April 2013 – Toronto FC vs. Impact Montréal
2nd Leg on 1 May 2013 – Impact Montréal vs. Toronto FC
2nd Leg on 1 May 2013 – Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs. FC Edmonton

FINAL SERIES:
1st Leg on 15 May 2013
2nd Leg on 29 May 2013

Just noticed you titled it Vcup then added the Amway in the OP.

Vcup 1st. Whatever "they" want to call it second.

That's why I love Yohan. Well, one reason.

GuelphStorm2007
12-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Who cares about the seeding I just want to see Toronto knock off Vancouver again hopefully this time in there Barn.

Greatest Ripoff
12-24-2012, 01:23 PM
i realize its on league position, but how many cups base their cup seeding on league position; england they don't, european leagues they don't; in fact you in europe, the returning champion is automatically a #1 seed

Actually in England there is no seeding. It is all randomly drawn.

__wowza
12-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Who cares about the seeding I just want to see Toronto knock off Vancouver again hopefully this time in there Barn.

all this means is that we'll have to beat montreal BEFORE vancouver.
you can't have your main course until you finish your appetizer.

GuelphStorm2007
12-24-2012, 03:19 PM
all this means is that we'll have to beat montreal BEFORE vancouver.
you can't have your main course until you finish your appetizer.

Even though I still want TFC to knock both teams off especially on there own Home turf..

JayMolly
12-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Even though I still want TFC to knock both teams off especially on there own Home turf..

First game in Vancouver - Alfie have you got your tickets yet?

Hope Payne and Santa have more gifts for us this season?

Merry Christmas and see you in the New Year.

TFC SSH
J

TFC07
12-24-2012, 05:52 PM
If we don't win this, then I hope whoever is coaching is fired! TFC is a true Canadian team unlike Vancouver who are known within CMNT supporters as "anti-Canadian" due to not playing Canadian players while Montreal is just team from Quebec (enough said) . We should represent Canada in CCL not Vancouver or Montreal. *lights the match and sets this thread on fire*

Red CB Toronto
12-24-2012, 06:49 PM
Merry Christmas to some and Happy Holiday to others.

SoccMan
12-25-2012, 11:15 AM
We need to make the playoffs never mind this Voyageurs Cup crap. We have won this cup a few times now and what has it done to the image of this team. We have won this thing but we have had crappy regular seasons and have never made the playoffs, due to this fact we have been the laughing stock of the league and the general media even here in Toronto. This organization will only gain some respactability and get people interested in this team again by having a decent regular season and finally making the playoffs.

Greatest Ripoff
12-25-2012, 12:29 PM
We need to make the playoffs never mind this Voyageurs Cup crap. We have won this cup a few times now and what has it done to the image of this team.

It got us to the semi finals of the CCL, it gut us a sold out match at the Skydome and it got us great wins over our rivals. I could care less about MLS playoffs, I'd rather win the CCL. MLS doesn't care about Toronto or any Canadian team so why should I care what happens in MLS?

ag futbol
12-25-2012, 01:45 PM
I think everyone has their own priorities but I put the league first personally.

CCL is flawed in so many ways, most of the matchups are non-inspiring and clubs have questionable levels of commitment at times. I don't care about playing a handful of banana republic teams mariner probably scouts for talent and the cream of the crop in Mexico that are far enough ahead of us that it's not really a contest. If it ever gets rolled into the Copa America or Labradores, that would change my opinion.

Until then, CCL looks mostly like a soft competition, especially when you consider how we fare there compared to the league.

bigredone
12-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Soft? Than would not any tournament/match held outside of Mexico be soft including mls regular season?

I can easily say CCL group stage games brought a better atmosphere in recent years than regular season games. I can even say the VCUP brought a better atmosphere and more attention to our club (oh wait, positive attention).

GO TFC!!!!!!!

Fort York Redcoat
12-26-2012, 01:16 PM
There's been enough years in this tournament to see the attraction of it for those have been around since the beginning.

I tend to over emphasize when talking about the Vcup and CCL because I think it's more important than its present quality.

Every time this discussion point resurfaces I have to wonder how likely it be that Toronto or MLS competes on an FML level without tournament play?

I'm just surprised that there are those that care more about our competition in this league and, in essence, say "forget about the rest of the region". It just doesn't lend itself to following the worlds game in my eyes.

GuelphStorm2007
12-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Some of the better games that TFC have been involved with and some of the better memories have been in the V Cup and the CCL . I like to TFC go as far as possible in this Tourney and at the same time have success in MLS play also nothing rong with haveing success inn both

SoccMan
12-27-2012, 08:56 AM
The question I have for those that think the voyageurs cup and the ccl that comes with it is much more important than the MLS season and playoffs, why have we gone through so many coaching changes and managerial changes in 7 years if the voyageurs cup and ccl is so much more important than the MLS season and playoffs? Our record in the voyageurs cup has been very good, even in the ccl we have had some success, so why all the changes, if these two competitions where we have been good at, mean so much, we have done well in them so why all the changes then?

Fort York Redcoat
12-27-2012, 12:19 PM
The question I have for those that think the voyageurs cup and the ccl that comes with it is much more important than the MLS season and playoffs, why have we gone through so many coaching changes and managerial changes in 7 years if the voyageurs cup and ccl is so much more important than the MLS season and playoffs? Our record in the voyageurs cup has been very good, even in the ccl we have had some success, so why all the changes, if these two competitions where we have been good at, mean so much, we have done well in them so why all the changes then?

You are arguing what is more popular not what is more important.

Rudi
12-27-2012, 03:13 PM
We need to make the playoffs never mind this Voyageurs Cup crap. We have won this cup a few times now and what has it done to the image of this team. We have won this thing but we have had crappy regular seasons and have never made the playoffs, due to this fact we have been the laughing stock of the league and the general media even here in Toronto. This organization will only gain some respactability and get people interested in this team again by having a decent regular season and finally making the playoffs.
You know, it is possible for you to state your preference for the playoffs without calling the Voyageurs Cup "crap".

It's the ultimate supporters trophy, funded by fans from coast-to-coast.

Oldtimer
12-27-2012, 07:56 PM
You know, it is possible for you to state your preference for the playoffs without calling the Voyageurs Cup "crap".

+1 People who don't understand the significance of the Voyageurs Cup should read a little on the history of it. Like the Supporters Shield in MLS, it is a trophy created by supporters at their own expense for something supporters consider important.

Here is the announcement when it was started:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/voyageurs-cup-announced-for-a-league-teams-p147747&t=championship_article

Also Soccman, you might consider this trophy worthless, but you only have to look at how the Whitecaps feel to understand that it is important:

ACC: Whitecaps FC desperately want Voyageurs Cup trophy after near-misses

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2012/05/acc-whitecaps-fc-desperately-want-voyageurs-cup-trophy-after-near-misses

The general North American sports fan might only understand league playoffs, and so getting in the MLS playoffs will have more impact on the club, but many supporters in the GTA understand greatly the importance of continental competition.

themodelcitizen
01-02-2013, 03:12 AM
...it would be huge for us to qualify. And not winning the VCup, I don't remember how that feels :)

Quoted for when we inevitably lose our grip on the Cup.

The playoffs are a holy grail at this point, so qualifying for those would mean a lot more. That said, the Champions League is a bigger tournament and a chance at winning that shouldn't take a backseat to MLS fixtures in terms of player rotation.

West220Side
01-02-2013, 04:18 AM
Quoted for when we inevitably lose our grip on the Cup.

The playoffs are a holy grail at this point, so qualifying for those would mean a lot more. That said, the Champions League is a bigger tournament and a chance at winning that shouldn't take a backseat to MLS fixtures in terms of player rotation.

Aslong as we beat Montreal in the cup I don't much care. I'd be willing to lose a simple 0-1 game with youngsters against Vancouver, then make a further MLS cup run then them.

pdogg
01-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Aslong as we beat Montreal in the cup I don't much care. I'd be willing to lose a simple 0-1 game with youngsters against Vancouver, then make a further MLS cup run then them.

I don't know. Maybe because the tourney is so quick, I wouldn't get satisfaction from them losing in the finals.

Looking at other Cups, there are so many rounds, you can get kicked out of the quarters/semis and still feel like you took a significant part in it. The VCup feels like an all or nothing. You either won it or you failed.

Walms
01-03-2013, 06:53 PM

I agree with ya there... Playoffs are vary important towards our credibiltiy in the league, but not continuing this VC Dynasty and missing the CCL would hurt a lot

ag futbol
01-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Well that's one way to look at it, but I don't think that's what he was arguing.

Give the people here arguing for league play some credit. I think we're all intelligent enough to understand the history of the V's cup and appeal of international competition... to be balanced against it's shortcomings and everything else involved of course.

Fort York Redcoat
01-04-2013, 08:05 AM

Well that's one way to look at it, but I don't think that's what he was arguing.

Give the people here arguing for league play some credit. I think we're all intelligent enough to understand the history of the V's cup and appeal of international competition... to be balanced against it's shortcomings and everything else involved of course.

Feel free to make an argument for league play over international play. I'm not presuming to insult your choice but I am against just following what's popular for the sake of it and dismissing all else. It leads to the insular attitude of the rest of sport here in NA.

Again, not trying to insult differing opinion just offering my preference.

Yohan
01-04-2013, 08:27 AM
I love V Cup (just to rub it in Vancouver and Montreal supporters lol) and CCL is always amusing distraction... but I feel that any sort of run in CCL is window dressing without any substance. Seems international perception is that CCL does matter (as latest Frings article would tell you), but who are we trying to impress? North Americans first, or the world?

I just think it would be nice to have some domestic respectability, because face it, we are the laughingstock of MLS, and rightly deserved so. The crapulence of our domestic league form makes mockery of any CCL run TFC makes really. And we cannot ignore the reality that V Cup and CCL run (esp with traveling) took its toll on TFC's domestic form (though it's not the only reason TFC sucked in MLS) There is a reason why a lot of MLS teams don't take CCL seriously, because for most teams, it hurts league form. And if you want respect in MLS, you gotta be an MLS Cup winner over CCL run, unless you actually win CCL which seems like a near miracle thing to do. (And RSL only went to CCL final because it didn't have to face Mexican teams in quarter and semi finals)

V Cup is important for matter of pride. Depending on your perspective, it is only slightly easier to win than US Open Cup, with 4 games to win V Cup vice 5 games for USOC. (though you do have to play more different teams in USOC) But if it will help TFC make the playoff for once with less travel fatigue and games, esp this year, as much as it pains me to say it, I wouldn't mind if TFC didn't win V Cup...

Greatest Ripoff
01-04-2013, 08:52 AM
I
I just think it would be nice to have some domestic respectability, because face it, we are the laughingstock of MLS

The only domestic competition we play in the in the Voyageurs Cup. MLS is an american league that allows a few Canadians teams to play in it but in the long run they don't give shit about Canada. Winning the MLS doesn't get us anything unlike the American teams who get a birth into the CCL.

SoccMan
01-04-2013, 09:46 AM
I say gain some respectability in the MLS by making the playoffs for god sakes after 6 garbage seasons and then winning a V Cup has more meaning to me,however, continuing with disastrous seasons in the MLS but winning the V Cup again sorry does not cut it with me. Winning the MLS Cup or just making the bloody playoffs means more stability in player movement, coaches and general managers within this team, doing the same thing we have been doing for six seasons means the revolving door of players and front office personel, and dwindling fan interest at that.

Yohan
01-04-2013, 09:59 AM
The only domestic competition we play in the in the Voyageurs Cup. MLS is an american league that allows a few Canadians teams to play in it but in the long run they don't give shit about Canada. Winning the MLS doesn't get us anything unlike the American teams who get a birth into the CCL.

i don't even know where to begin rebutting this comment lulz

Greatest Ripoff
01-04-2013, 10:05 AM
i don't even know where to begin rebutting this comment lulz

So you think the MLS is a domestic league for Toronto that that the MLS has given Toronto the same treatment as other US teams?

Yohan
01-04-2013, 10:19 AM
So you think the MLS is a domestic league for Toronto that that the MLS has given Toronto the same treatment as other US teams?

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?33283-The-great-Canadians-aren-t-treated-equally-in-MLS-debate-thread&p=1549826#post1549826

debate continued on that thread

Dreadlocks
01-07-2013, 10:29 AM
What's wrong with winning/participating in all competitions and doing well?

Perhaps my expectations are too high but I expect the VCup, expect at least the knock out stages of the CCL and I expect to make the playoffs and at least make it to the second round.

All three are equally important in my eyes and if the team does not accomplish all three, then the season will be a bit of a let down.

Yohan
01-07-2013, 10:32 AM
What's wrong with winning/participating in all competitions and doing well?

Perhaps my expectations are too high but I expect the VCup, expect at least the knock out stages of the CCL and I expect to make the playoffs and at least make it to the second round.

All three are equally important in my eyes and if the team does not accomplish all three, then the season will be a bit of a let down.
in the eyes of most people, the league is the priority and Mariner and co will be judge on success whether TFC makes the playoffs.

not winning V Cup will not axe Mariner; not making the playoffs will.

TFC07
01-07-2013, 02:12 PM
in the eyes of most people, the league is the priority and Mariner and co will be judge on success whether TFC makes the playoffs.

not winning V Cup will not axe Mariner; not making the playoffs will.

ML$E doesn't care about what most people think (if they did, then Mariner and co would have been gone a long time ago). V Cup/CCL brings extra profit to ML$E while MLS reward MLS teams in CCL with allocation money. So I have a hard time believing that ML$E will not judge Mariner, Payne etc. on their performance based on how TFC did during V Cup/CCL as well where they can make more money than they would in playoffs.

Yohan
01-07-2013, 02:27 PM
ML$E doesn't care about what most people think (if they did, then Mariner and co would have been gone a long time ago). V Cup/CCL brings extra profit to ML$E while MLS reward MLS teams in CCL with allocation money. So I have a hard time believing that ML$E will not judge Mariner, Payne etc. on their performance based on how TFC did during V Cup/CCL as well where they can make more money than they would in playoffs.
actually, MLSE does care what most people think... a lot of decisions have been made due to public outrage or whatever (remember JDG?)

TFC07
01-07-2013, 02:37 PM
actually, MLSE does care what most people think... a lot of decisions have been made due to public outrage or whatever (remember JDG?)No they didn't until end of the last season when attendance went down. JDG signing was on Mo Johnson, MLSE just blindly give Mo the money to sign JDG (BTW: there wasn't a huge demand outside some vocal supporters to sign JDG).

Yohan
01-07-2013, 02:54 PM
No they didn't until end of the last season when attendance went down. JDG signing was on Mo Johnson, MLSE just blindly give Mo the money to sign JDG (BTW: there wasn't a huge demand outside some vocal supporters to sign JDG).

Grass. JDG. Even Preki. All influenced by fans demand

jazzy
01-07-2013, 09:47 PM

how do those words taste?....

TFC07
01-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Grass. JDG. Even Preki. All influenced by fans demand

Grass is the only thing you can give credit for, but however there was more than just fan demand that made MLSE use transfer money they receive from Edu transfer made them change the turf (remember players complaining about field turf and Mo having trouble signing players due to field turf?). I already explain about JDG (there was no pressure to sign him). Perki? How so?

TFC07
01-07-2013, 10:05 PM
how do those words taste?....
MLSE should have clean front office and coaching staff right after the season instead of giving them time to get rid of some of the players and keeping Hassli before hiring a President/GM which is going to limit Payne to fix this team this season.

Rudi
01-07-2013, 10:19 PM
There's a compelling argument to be made that MLSE cares too much about what the fans want, which has led to the consistent instability that this team (and MLSE's other teams) has suffered from.

I'm curious to see if that changes now with the new ownership finally having had time to settle in.

TFC07
01-07-2013, 11:17 PM
There's a compelling argument to be made that MLSE cares too much about what the fans want, which has led to the consistent instability that this team (and MLSE's other teams) has suffered from.

I'm curious to see if that changes now with the new ownership finally having had time to settle in. That's funny because fans (and media to certain extent) of all MLSE teams have argued that MLSE only cares about money (look at price increases in first 7 years of TFC until recently when they decided to reduce ticket prices first time because there was NO demand for TFC anymore). If MLSE really cared about their teams, then they would have held people who have failed to deliver accountable which they haven't done so and never increase ticket prices every year which turn a lot of people off. If Anselmi wasn't promoted, then he will still be TFC president today and most likely kept Mariner and co.

Fort York Redcoat
01-08-2013, 08:22 AM

While we're unsure as to who was responsible for the changes recently made we can be sure that someone recognized that Mariner wasn't right for the position and now he's gone. Let's just state openly that "A long time ago" is a matter of less than 5 months is what we're talking about. While I would've preferred the change the day after the season ended this is far better IMO than mid-season follies.

The $$$ from Vcup and CCL you're accusing of MLSE of chasing is a pittance compared to what playoffs brings to them over a following season.

Ralph
02-18-2013, 05:08 PM
We will win the Champions League and then crush the world at the World Club Championships. We have the team and coaches to do it! It you believe enough, it will happen!

prizby
02-18-2013, 06:40 PM
We will win the Champions League and then crush the world at the World Club Championships. We have the team and coaches to do it! It you believe enough, it will happen!

i also believe pigs can fly

Red CB Toronto
02-18-2013, 07:00 PM
I know a lot of people are looking forward to March 16 at the Big O, but I am wondering who is making/thinking of the trip back to Montreal on May 1 for the Voyageur Cup match at Saputo?

Super
02-19-2013, 11:28 AM
I think winning the Voyageurs cup is a nice little side-tournament, and it's always fun to school Vancouver and Montreal. But let's not kid ourselves - it's not even close to the importance of making the play-offs. We're champions, but no one cares. NO ONE! Except the hardcore supporters of the club. I mean, think of it - we're champions of Canada, and yet we're considered the biggest loser by EVERYONE! Every Canadian, every American. Why? Because no one cares about the cup. The local media doesn't care. The league doesn't care. Heck, even Montreal and Vancouver don't really care if we win the title again and again. SUCKING in the MLS is far more damaging to our reputation, and as such making the play-offs is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR more important than winning the Voyageurs Cup. That being said, of course I'd hate to not win the cup. But I'd gladly hand over that trophy to Montreal or Vancouver if it means us making the play-offs and being considered less of a joke. Heck yeah!

TFC07
02-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Yeah, playing one playoff game is more important than winning V-Cup and playing in CCL. Typical North American sports fan :facepalm: BTW: Vancouver and Montreal take V-Cup seriously enough that they bench their first team a league game before a V-Cup game.

Yohan
02-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Yeah, playing one playoff game is more important than winning V-Cup and playing in CCL. Typical North American sports fan :facepalm: BTW: Vancouver and Montreal take V-Cup seriously enough that they bench their first team a league game before a V-Cup game.
whether you like it or not, legitimacy in MLS is gained through being competitive in league play. that means making the playoffs. win a 4 team mini cup tourney? most would think it's a joke.

TFC07
02-19-2013, 12:26 PM
whether you like it or not, legitimacy in MLS is gained through being competitive in league play. that means making the playoffs. win a 4 team mini cup tourney? most would think it's a joke.
Most as in American media? Qualifying for the playoffs (like half teams in MLS do) doesn't mean much in the end especially when you're one and done. That doesn't bring much respect either! Playoff just gives average teams something to play for in the end. Winning supporters shield should mean more than winning playoffs in the end. Too bad no one talks about winning the shield here.

Yohan
02-19-2013, 12:35 PM
Most as in American media? Qualifying for the playoffs (like half teams in MLS do) doesn't mean much in the end especially when you're one and done. That doesn't bring much respect either! Playoff just gives average teams something to play for in the end. Winning supporters shield should mean more than winning playoffs in the end. Too bad no one talks about winning the shield here.
And Canadian media. You might not get much press making the playoffs, but you do get a lot when you make the MLS Cup final, even if you sneaked into the playoffs.

TFC can't even be avg in the league. Winning the V Cup (as much as I love it), is like winning Johnstone's Paint Trophy. In reality, means very little.

KRO
02-19-2013, 12:39 PM

But making the play-offs means that we are a competitive team that wins a bunch of games and entertains us on a weekly basis. That is much more important than winning the V-Cup.

I hate to say it but the V-Cup and the CCL are a sideshow that has distracted us from doing better in the league. Look at the attendance figures for the cup competitions and it shows you what large numbers of our SSH think. You may deride them and call them "Typical North American sports fans" but without them there would be no TFC.

Super
02-19-2013, 01:16 PM

Dude, be honest, have you EVER talked to anyone who gave 2 cents worth of respect to TFC for winning that cup? Now tell me their reaction when you told them that we played in the Champions League - even though we've never made the play-offs in the league competition. The V-Cup is not now, nor will it ever, be considered anything remotely close to a domestic cup in other countries. It's a 4-team cup. Don't get me wrong, I want to win that trophy, but I just can't take people seriously when they say that it's somehow more prestigious to win the V-Cup than participating in the play-offs. Who honestly finds it more prestigious? I think you're making a mistake by comparing our national cup with the FA Cup, and you're comparing the CCL with the Champions League of Europe. NO ONE CARES! Sorry to burst your bubble. If we want to gain respect as a club we NEED to make the play-offs - or we'll continue to remain a joke by all. And yes, that's even with our amazing 4 V-Cup trophies in a row.

jabbronies
02-19-2013, 01:43 PM

If TFC can't even make the playoffs, what makes you think they can win the Supporters Shield?
No one talks about it because TFC have never been a competitive team that could honestly be considered contenders for it.

oh and for what it's worth, I think the Voyagers Cup is a joke of a tournament. It's just another round of CCL IMO.
The only reason people are so responsive to it is because they added a trophy to it and called it a championship.

Huyton
02-19-2013, 01:54 PM
I love the CCL. The games against LA and The first games against Santos Laguna were great games to go to. Hell, even that magical feeling of beating Dallas in their park to go back through to the knockout round...wonderful!

You'd rather have a single solitary playoff game than those?

Oh I know I'll be over the moon when we first qualify for the playoffs but I don't think it will come close to how I felt when we knocked Beckham Boys, anointed by MLS to go all the way, out of the Champions League.

Fort York Redcoat
02-19-2013, 01:59 PM

This eternal debate breaks downs thus for me:

Legitimate to everyone else, the league, the continent does not equal interesting to me. "At least we made the playoffs" is consolation talk with nothing to show for it. To qualify to play the same teams in the post season has very little interest to me vs playing our national rivals to qualify to play the rest of the region.

nfitz
02-19-2013, 02:11 PM
oh and for what it's worth, I think the Voyagers Cup is a joke of a tournament. It's just another round of CCL IMO.
The only reason people are so responsive to it is because they added a trophy to it and called it a championship.Ah, a Celtic fan! Who cares about Europe when your number one in Scotland!

Oldtimer
02-19-2013, 02:26 PM
I think TFC has to make the playoffs and win the VC to be respectable. No one or the other.

mowe
02-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Making the MLS playoffs means you were top-10 in a 19 team league over 34 games.

Winning the Voyageurs Cup means you won a 4-team, 4-game tournament which includes an NASL team.

Who would you say had the better season last year, Vancouver or TFC?

Vancouver were 11-13-10 in MLS, finished 5th in the West, and lost the play-in game in the playoffs. They also lost in the finals of the V-Cup.

TFC was 5-21-8 in MLS, 10th in the East. They won the V-Cup, went 2-0-2 in their 3-team CCL group and failed to advance.

I think TFC fans overrate the CCL because it's the only place we've ever had any success. That semi-final run was amazing but as we saw it was no indication of the team's quality. TFC followed it by finishing dead last in MLS and attendance took a nosedive.

Once we start making the playoffs regularly I think people will realize that that should be the main goal for every season. I think it's more likely we win the MLS Cup than go to the Club World Cup. We should focus on the games we play every week rather than a short tournament that wouldn't exist if CONCACAF didn't separate Canadian and American qualification.

Initial B
02-19-2013, 04:20 PM
But nowhere else other than CCL would a team have a chance to see how they stack up against the UEFA Champions' League winner in a match that mattered. Being MLS Champion can't offer that.

nfitz
02-19-2013, 04:23 PM
I think TFC has to make the playoffs and win the VC to be respectable. No one or the other.Agreed.

Given that 1/3 (33%) of eligble MLS teams win the VC and 10/19 (53% of MLS teams make the playoffs), then year in, year out, winning the VC will be the greater achievement, all things being equal.

If the best we ever do is make the play-offs, and nothing else, I really don't feel we've achieved much success.

Still, it's a rebuilding year ... we'll be very lucky to be in sniffing distance of the play-offs, or win the VC this year. I hope that no one has any expectations of much more (hope is great, but unreasonable expectations will become poison).

Personally, I find the must-win feel of any given VC or Champions League game (or play-off game I'd presume) than any given 1 in 34 MLS game. There's an extra edge in the air.

jabbronies
02-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Ah, a Celtic fan! Who cares about Europe when your number one in Scotland!

I didn't say CCL was a joke, I said Voyagers Cup was a joke.
But now that you mention it, yes, who cares about CONCACAF CCL when you are consistently last in your league!

I mean how embarrassing is it that the Canadian Champion is also the last place, and laughing stock, team of the league.

nfitz
02-19-2013, 05:19 PM
I mean how embarrassing is it that the Canadian Champion is also the last place, and laughing stock, team of the league.Given that on average, the Canadian entry in the Champions League has outperformed the US entries ... not embarrassing at all!

Not sure why one would think that the Voyageurs Cup is a joke. Far more enjoyable than a league game against Chivas ...

And as I pointed out, harder to win than a play-off spot - on average, over the years.

Walms
02-19-2013, 05:40 PM
I love the CCL. The games against LA and The first games against Santos Laguna were great games to go to. Hell, even that magical feeling of beating Dallas in their park to go back through to the knockout round...wonderful!

You'd rather have a single solitary playoff game than those?

Oh I know I'll be over the moon when we first qualify for the playoffs but I don't think it will come close to how I felt when we knocked Beckham Boys, anointed by MLS to go all the way, out of the Champions League.

This!....

making the playoff's and winning the cup should be the #1 goal for this club, that bring said the best memory I have is watching Ryan roundhouse kick the flag poll & Silva get his first from Frings hail marry pass outa the midfield to set the stage for LA's exit back in there own house.

There was something magical about that night and it will take a pretty impressive playoff run (we would need to reach the cup final) for me to get the feelings I got in Skydome last March. Play-off's are important but we cant belittle the V-cup and CCL, to me they mean just as much beause its another night I can watch the boys play!

mowe
02-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Given that on average, the Canadian entry in the Champions League has outperformed the US entries ... not embarrassing at all!

And as I pointed out, harder to win than a play-off spot - on average, over the years.

Both of these statements are wrong. The Canadian champion has not outperformed the US teams "on average". In 5 years the Canadian team made it to the knockout stage 2 times (40%). In those years the 4 US teams made it 8 times out of a possible 20 (also 40%). This confirms that they're on the same level. It makes sense because TFC has been a mediocre MLS team in the past but last year it was a joke they were in the CCL while being dead last in MLS.

The Voyageurs Cup is not harder to win than making the MLS playoffs, and the stats you use to form this opinion are simplistic and irrelevant. It is MUCH easier to win a 4 game tournament than be consistently good for 34 games. The more games you play the more your quality shines through, this is basic logic. A shorter format allows more room for upsets which is why most major leagues have a best of 7 playoff format. It's a fact that Vancouver was better than TFC last year and they proved it by going 11-13-10 in MLS while TFC were 5-21-8.

nfitz
02-19-2013, 06:56 PM
Both of these statements are wrong.Neither of the statements are wrong.

The Canadian champion has not outperformed the US teams "on average". In 5 years the Canadian team made it to the knockout stage 2 times (40%). In those years the 4 US teams made it 8 times out of a possible 20 (also 40%). This confirms that they're on the same level. So we should be embarrased because they've performed no worse than higher ranked MLS teams?

By simply looking at one part of this, you've over-simplified it. There's been a few attempts I've seen of people applying a UEFA-like coefficient to CONCACAF - and each one I've seen has put Canada ahead of the USA. For example see - http://www.soccermetrics.net/clubleague-coefficients/concacaf-clubleague-coefficients-2012-10-27-version

The Voyageurs Cup is not harder to win than making the MLS playoffs, and the stats you use to form this opinion are simplistic and irrelevant. It is MUCH easier to win a 4 game tournament than be consistently good for 34 games.That's just a complete abuse of statistics. If only 1/3 of eligible MLS teams can win the Voyageurs cup, and over half of MLS can make the play-offs, then it's pretty clear than over the long haul, that more Canadian MLS teams will make the play-offs, than will win the Voyageurs Cup. Think what will happen over 100-year period, rather than just thinking about last season.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the Voyageurs Cup, given the remote chance we have of making the play-offs this year. Though I'd be surprised if we win again.

Greatest Ripoff
02-19-2013, 07:47 PM
And Canadian media. You might not get much press making the playoffs, but you do get a lot when you make the MLS Cup final, even if you sneaked into the playoffs.

TFC can't even be avg in the league. Winning the V Cup (as much as I love it), is like winning Johnstone's Paint Trophy. In reality, means very little.

Last I checked the JPT didn't qualify you for Europe or any other competition.

Also, fuck all the haters. I now and forever, will value the Voyageurs cup more than MLS. It's the only domestic title that TFC can win. I don't care that much about an american league but I'll take it as second to our domestic cup as there ins't much else.

Blizzard
02-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Given that on average, the Canadian entry in the Champions League has outperformed the US entries ... not embarrassing at all!

Not sure why one would think that the Voyageurs Cup is a joke. Far more enjoyable than a league game against Chivas ...

I agree with Nick on that point. There is a level of intrigue and excitement in a CCL match that simply doesn't exist for us (currently) in the league. Assuming that we tread water this year in the league (and that is my assumption), just qualifying and playing in CCL would make for an interesting/exciting consolation prize. If we can find a way into this year's CCL, I'll be very, very pleased.

That being said, I do agree that play-offs and Voyageurs Cup have to go hand in hand to make any of us feel that something is actually being accomplished ... unless we have a very good CCL run. That would mean a lot to me.

mowe
02-19-2013, 10:19 PM
By simply looking at one part of this, you've over-simplified it. There's been a few attempts I've seen of people applying a UEFA-like coefficient to CONCACAF - and each one I've seen has put Canada ahead of the USA. For example see - http://www.soccermetrics.net/clubleague-coefficients/concacaf-clubleague-coefficients-2012-10-27-version

That's just a complete abuse of statistics. If only 1/3 of eligible MLS teams can win the Voyageurs cup, and over half of MLS can make the play-offs, then it's pretty clear than over the long haul, that more Canadian MLS teams will make the play-offs, than will win the Voyageurs Cup. Think what will happen over 100-year period, rather than just thinking about last season.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the Voyageurs Cup, given the remote chance we have of making the play-offs this year. Though I'd be surprised if we win again.

The biggest problem with that link is sample size. Given that Canada only has one team, results are greatly skewed by one year runs. Look at the coefficients year by year. Canada is lower than US except for the huge jump for the Impact's quarters run and TFC's semi's run. Meanwhile RSL's 3-2 loss in the final barely registers in 2010/11. What I'm saying is that Canadian teams are on the SAME LEVEL as US teams, which is obvious considering they play in the same league. I don't see how you can continue arguing that, all that link shows is that in CONCACAF there is Mexico, then everybody else. And if you read my post I said that only last year was a joke that TFC was shit but in the Champions League, exposing the "challenge" of winning the V-Cup.

And I'll say it again, the stats you are using are irrelevant. The FACT is: It is much easier to win a 4 game tournament playing 2 teams than be top 10 playing 34 games against 18 teams. Just by degree of difficulty, reaching the MLS playoffs is harder. You already agree with this because like you said, TFC will likely miss the playoffs, but still has a decent chance at the Voyageurs Cup.

jabbronies
02-20-2013, 11:21 AM

hmmm, not sure why you would think that. There's only been 1 season where a Canadian club outdid their American counterpart:

2008/09 - Montreal and Houston out in the same bracket round
2009/10 - TFC crashed out in the prelims. KKKrew go on to the bracket round
2010/11 - TFC out in group stages - RSL and KKKrew go on to next round
2011/12 - TFC make it to Semifinals - sounders and LA out in prev round
2012/13 - TFC out in first round - Sounders, LA and Houston on to the next round.

I can agree with the first point.

The second one, I'd have to disagree. TFC have proven it's not that difficult to get into the CCL via the Voyagers Cup.
In the past winning the Voyagers cup has meant beating teams a division lower than them. Although this past year TFC weren't fortunate enough to get that easy draw. This past year they had to win 2 and tie 2 to become champions. 4 games in a 1 month span and not all of them had to be wins.

Getting a playoff spot means that a team has been at least average for 30+ games against teams of the same level. Much harder task that TFC have failed to do over and over again. Good teams are consistent; TFC are just lucky.

I'd rather see the Voyagers cup championship go to the team that finishes highest in the league. Gives more value to it.

jabbronies
02-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Neither of the statements are wrong.

So we should be embarrased because they've performed no worse than higher ranked MLS teams?

That's just a complete abuse of statistics. If only 1/3 of eligible MLS teams can win the Voyageurs cup, and over half of MLS can make the play-offs, then it's pretty clear than over the long haul, that more Canadian MLS teams will make the play-offs, than will win the Voyageurs Cup. Think what will happen over 100-year period, rather than just thinking about last season.

Just saw this, I see where you are coming from, but to be honest I hate stats like this. Reminds me of FIFA rankings. In reality people don't care how well the average numbers look - they only see when a team being knocked out of a tournament. We don't cheer and boast to other people about these numbers, we cheer and boast about how well we've done in the tournament.

At the end of the day, Canadian team rarely does better than Americans, that's what everyone sees and that's all people care about.

I'm at the point where I won't even buy Voyager Cup tickets and I have a hard time going to the ones that are given to me for free. It's a fart in the wind compared to the actual CCL tournament, regular league games and playoff games.

nfitz
02-20-2013, 11:59 AM
hmmm, not sure why you would think that. There's only been 1 season where a Canadian club outdid their American counterpart:Because there are 4 US teams in it, not one.

The primary point here is that there's no reason for you to be embarrassed about Canadian teams performance in the Champions League.

At the end of the day, Canadian team rarely does better than Americans, that's what everyone sees and that's all people care about.At the end of the day, the Canadian entry most years has outperformed many, if not most of the US entries. You can't just compare the Canadian entry to the best of 4 US entries. And even if you do ... I'd hardly say the performance has been embarrassing.

Canada and Puerto Rico (i.e. the Islanders) have both performed beyond expectations in the Champions League.

jabbronies
02-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Because there are 4 US teams in it, not one.

The primary point here is that there's no reason for you to be embarrassed about Canadian teams performance in the Champions League.

At the end of the day, the Canadian entry most years has outperformed many, if not most of the US entries. You can't just compare the Canadian entry to the best of 4 US entries. And even if you do ... I'd hardly say the performance has been embarrassing.

Canada and Puerto Rico (i.e. the Islanders) have both performed beyond expectations in the Champions League.

Back to my original line of thinking. It's not the CCL performance that is embarrassing, it's the fact that the Canadian champion is a last place team in it's league. Which makes the Voyagers Cup tournament a joke IMO. As I said in a previous post I would rather see this CCL spot go to the best Canadian team in the MLS, rather than a 4 game "tournamant". It would give more cred to the Voyagers cup IMO

To speak specifically to TFC's performance in CCL - I would say their successes have been due to the fact that the team was built for CCL - not MLS.

nfitz
02-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Back to my original line of thinking. It's not the CCL performance that is embarrassing, it's the fact that the Canadian champion is a last place team in it's league. Which makes the Voyagers Cup tournament a joke IMO. I fail to see how a competition among the top 4 teams in Canadian soccer could ever be considered a joke. It doesn't seem to be as much of a joke as the so-called "World Series" of baseball.

The only thing I see embarrassing about it, is how a much worse MLS team from Canada has outperformed so many much better MLS teams ... but I would have to be supporting those teams to feel that embarrassment.

As I said in a previous post I would rather see this CCL spot go to the best Canadian team in the MLS, rather than a 4 game "tournamant". It would give more cred to the Voyagers cup IMOHowever, that automatically eliminates any non-MLS Canadian teams - which is half the fun. Personally, I'm looking forward to the occasional Toronto-Ottawa game.

To speak specifically to TFC's performance in CCL - I would say their successes have been due to the fact that the team was built for CCL - not MLS.We do seem to be more of a cup team, than a league team. We need to be both! On the bright side, if we do ever make it to the playoffs - that's when being a cup team would actually be in our advantage!

jabbronies
02-20-2013, 12:41 PM
However, that automatically eliminates any non-MLS Canadian teams - which is half the fun. Personally, I'm looking forward to the occasional Toronto-Ottawa game.

Sure - get more teams involved, make it a proper tournament... Round of 16 knockout tournament - then it'll have more value IMO.

But we don't enough teams to do that, so until then, have the best of MLS vs the best of NASL square off for the championship.
Gives teams more of a reason to be competitive in their respective league and at the same time, awarding successful teams for their achievements.

Stouffville_RPB
03-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Canada has enough teams to make the Voyageurs Cup a more competitive tournament.

MLS (3 teams)
NASL (2)
CSL (14, excluding TFC & IMFC academies)
USL Pro (5, excluding VWC U-23s)
PCSL Premier Division (5)
L1O (???)

CSA could also open up the competition to amateur teams like the US Open Cup where I'm sure academies throughout the country would have their senior teams enter. The biggest issue with opening up the V Cup tourney is the same as Canadian league, travel and money.

Opening rounds could be provincial qualifying with the winners from each province playing each other. Have 3 slots open to those provincial teams to enter the final stages vs the MLS/NASL sides. Question then becomes would clubs like Kamloops Heat or St. Catherines Roma Wolves be willing to put up the cash to go to Montreal or Vancouver to play?

OgtheDim
03-07-2013, 01:07 PM
CSA not going to do that as they seem to want to limit the cup to those who could possibly hold a CCL match. That the CCL stadium issue doesn't affect the US Open Cup is probably because there is always a local college stadium that could be used for anywhere in the States.

Red Patch CA
03-07-2013, 01:14 PM
With respect to comparing US MLS teams in the CCL with Canadian MLS teams, the results are not comparable because the first round is now set up so that US and Mexican teams cannot meet. This leaves us having to meet, as it did last year, Mexican teams. Fair?

For me, I like the Voyageurs Cup games.

Fort York Redcoat
03-07-2013, 01:15 PM
V cup will be reserved to MLS and NASL in Canada. The CSA are planning something for the PDL teams. It will be separate from the provincial D3 development of leagues.

PAOK17
03-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Neither of the statements are wrong.

So we should be embarrased because they've performed no worse than higher ranked MLS teams?

By simply looking at one part of this, you've over-simplified it. There's been a few attempts I've seen of people applying a UEFA-like coefficient to CONCACAF - and each one I've seen has put Canada ahead of the USA. For example see - http://www.soccermetrics.net/clubleague-coefficients/concacaf-clubleague-coefficients-2012-10-27-version.
This! I have been saying this for the longest time. Before the CCL can be taken seriously, it must look into a proper coefficient system to determine how many teams from each country (based on the overall combined performance of teams representing that country in the competition over an X amount of years). Furthermore, which teams get seeded should be only based on how that specific team has performed in the competition historically. This whole US teams and Mexican teams get seeded is arbitrary with no statistics to prove it (though I agree with Mexico).

Spain and England don't get 4 teams in the CL because they are "Spain and England." They do because their teams have accumulated more points over the years. Meanwhile, should say QPR miraculously win the EPL and thus qualify for CL, they'd be put in Pot 4 due to the fact they have virtually 0 for their co-efficient. Why there is no serious questioning of this format via the media makes me question the actual soccer knowledge of our so-called "experts."

Oldtimer
03-21-2013, 07:34 AM
V cup will be reserved to MLS and NASL in Canada. The CSA are planning something for the PDL teams. It will be separate from the provincial D3 development of leagues.

Considering that the CSL has been de-sanctioned and is now an outlaw league, the MLS and NASL cannot play against them and maintain FIFA eligibility for their players. The PDL is too far down the pecking order to give quality opposition. So I think that MLS and NASL (and maybe D3 once it's set up) is the right way to go.

Yohan
03-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Considering that the CSL has been de-sanctioned and is now an outlaw league, the MLS and NASL cannot play against them and maintain FIFA eligibility for their players. The PDL is too far down the pecking order to give quality opposition. So I think that MLS and NASL (and maybe D3 once it's set up) is the right way to go.
the number of cupsets at US Open Cup suggests otherwise

lobo
03-21-2013, 01:00 PM
It seems so much of the arguments being made here are related to issues of pride and humiliation. We have never made MLS playoffs, even when winning V-Cup and playing in CCL. People feel that is embarrassing, and to a great extent it is. If we'd made the MLS playoffs at some point already, would we still be having this debate? Some think we will only gain respect if we make the MLS playoffs, and some go further to say any competition outside MLS hurts our chances to get into the league playoffs (which of course will bring us the respect we want so badly). Honestly, I don't get why so many want to draw a line in the sand and pick one over the other, we should always value both league and continental play. Things get twisted because we don't play in a true domestic league, and our only means to qualify for CCL is through an odd little canadian championship tourney. I wish we had our own league. I wish we had a proper domestic open cup tourney, and I wish that tourney was named for the cup (even if it has to be with a corporate sponsor). But, it is what it is, for now at least. It's all a matter of perspective, and the slight majority perspective here seems to be that league and continental play are in contrast to each other. Put me in the camp that feels all competitions we play in should be complementary, making us a better team all-around.

For a different perspective, look at Vancouver. They've made the MLS playoffs but never won the V-Cup. Complete opposite to us. Do you think they are having the same 'which is more important' debate? I doubt it. I suspect they badly want to win the V-Cup now, and get back in the MLS playoffs.

There will always be that NA sports mindset about playoffs being the penultimate goal, with the MLS Cup being the ultimate goal. But I'm hopeful over time more people will come to respect the Voyageur's Cup and CCL play, as well as some healthy respect for the Supporter's Shield. But we'll never approach that point until we get into the damn MLS playoffs. Once that monkey is off our backs, hopefully perspectives will change.

This debate as it stands now is framed by our history. Here's hoping it s only temporary.

GlenM
03-21-2013, 02:53 PM
If TFC can't even make the playoffs, what makes you think they can win the Supporters Shield?
No one talks about it because TFC have never been a competitive team that could honestly be considered contenders for it.

The only reason people are so responsive to it is because they added a trophy to it and called it a championship.

Good points...but IMO here's my thoughts:

Isn't the Supporters Shield design by and for the Supporters?

Sounds like it should just be given to the MLS champion as an automatic but IMO it should be judged on the actual Fan support.

You can have the best team but not actual fan support (home/away) vs not the best team and have the greatest fan support (home/away).

I don't think making or not making the playoffs should be an automatic deciding factor for the winner.

It should carry weigh but not a given.

Voyageurs Cup gives us an opportunity to go all the way the World Cup of Football tournament which would be EPIC if we ever made that far.

It's something and something is better then nothing.

You have to be a bit battle tested before any CCL no matter what.

GlenM

Sid
03-23-2013, 09:12 AM
is there some type of road trip in plan, same day head there and back? to MTL

bigredone
04-17-2013, 12:59 PM
The 24th will be a spring Christmas. Stomping those fuckers, because it is fun and we want revenge.

This game is very important and I do not wish to start a fight about which competition is; but it is those blue bastards from down the way, enough said. Winning the VC is good, but shitting on Montreal's chances is enough considering our past successes.

Red CB Toronto
04-17-2013, 01:07 PM
I will be in Montreal for the second leg of the Voyageurs Cup semi-final. Looking forward to it.

Avon
04-17-2013, 08:00 PM
I am planning on going to Montreal for the May 1 game, but what section at Saputo Stadium will the TFC supporters be standing?

Red CB Toronto
04-17-2013, 08:07 PM
I am planning on going to Montreal for the May 1 game, but what section at Saputo Stadium will the TFC supporters be standing?

section 112

Avon
04-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Thanks.

ensco
04-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Leafs-Habs could very easily be meeting in Montreal May 1 in first playoff game.

Red CB Toronto
04-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Leafs-Habs could very easily be meeting in Montreal May 1 in first playoff game.

That would kill the attendance at Saputo, every bar in Montreal would be packed.

Yohan
04-18-2013, 11:19 AM
http://www.wakingthered.com/2013/4/18/4235222/voyageurs-cup-a-brief-history-toronto-fc-montreal-impact-vancouver-whitecaps-fc-edmonton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CHNmUUn5_3U#!

History of the V Cup

Yagbod
04-18-2013, 12:18 PM
^ Awesome, thanks for sharing Yohan.

Red CB Toronto
04-18-2013, 01:39 PM
http://www.wakingthered.com/2013/4/18/4235222/voyageurs-cup-a-brief-history-toronto-fc-montreal-impact-vancouver-whitecaps-fc-edmonton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CHNmUUn5_3U#!

History of the V Cup

Great video, had never truely known the history before. Always love to learn something new each day. Looking forward to being in Montreal on May 1 when the Reds take on the Impact in the Voyageurs Cup semi-final.

Sid
04-19-2013, 01:39 PM
Is there A march For the First leg? at home?

JoeyB
04-19-2013, 08:38 PM

I was under the impression that AMWAY was funding this event. If that's not the case why is they're name on the Trophy? It's just another marketing vehicle for MLSE to sell to mask the shit seasons we've had. I can guarantee that if the league performance gets better, like Montreal, TFC will be using subs during future Amway Canadian Championships.

Oldtimer
04-19-2013, 08:56 PM
I was under the impression that AMWAY was funding this event. If that's not the case why is they're name on the Trophy? It's just another marketing vehicle for MLSE to sell to mask the shit seasons we've had. I can guarantee that if the league performance gets better, like Montreal, TFC will be using subs during future Amway Canadian Championships.

Stop talking about Montreal, I know they're your team, but give it a break. What should I care what strategy they use, and why on earth would TFC follow Montreal's lead? That's ridiculous to contemplate.

TFC/ML$E has nothing to do with Amway being the sponsor, the Canadian Soccer Association runs the competition and named Amway the sponsor, and Amway's name is not on the trophy, it's on the tournament. The trophy is named after the Voyageurs, which is the Canadian National Team's Supporter Group, it's not the Amway Cup it's the Voyageurs Cup. The competition is older than TFC and has nothing to do with ML$E, except that TFC fields a team in it.

Your post is wrong in so many ways, it's hard to know where to begin. Maybe take the time to learn a bit about the history of the competition (try Wikipedia) before you start giving your "impressions."

JoeyB
04-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Stop talking about Montreal, I know they're your team, but give it a break. What should I care what strategy they use, and why on earth would TFC follow Montreal's lead? That's ridiculous to contemplate.

TFC/ML$E has nothing to do with Amway being the sponsor, the Canadian Soccer Association runs the competition and named Amway the sponsor, and Amway's name is not on the trophy, it's on the tournament. The trophy is named after the Voyageurs, which is the Canadian National Team's Supporter Group, it's not the Amway Cup it's the Voyageurs Cup. The competition is older than TFC and has nothing to do with ML$E, except that TFC fields a team in it.

Your post is wrong in so many ways, it's hard to know where to begin. Maybe take the time to learn a bit about the history of the competition (try Wikipedia) before you start giving your "impressions."

Well bad news for ya. Unless you can remember the Hamilton Steelers or the North York Rockets, and you've come to watch the pro game under MLSE grip on it in this city, you think the Canadian Club competition is the Amway Cup. As you said you their name in on the Tournament. WHICH is what it being sold. Just as there isn't a person under 30 who calls it the Skydome. The Voyageurs supporters group should have retired the cup when the MLS came to town or donated it to the CSA to be the Men's Amateur cup. It was rather nieve to think that MSLE would give something back in exchange for that history. They are an organisation of takers. Vampires. And thankfully judging by the empty seats today, the soccer moms that everyone here hates so much are the first to turn their backs on them. Maybe you should open your eyes and realize that MLSE has taken you for a chump.

And thanks, next time I'll use any of the other MLS teams field crap sides as an example when pointing out that Cups in North America that aren't play-off cups, are treated like exhibition games by the corporations that run our pro leagues who like guaranteed dates. That they can pre-sell for months or make part of ticket packages.

And this is a free country. As such I enjoyed your impressions that your emotional attachement to the past matters. :drum:

Ricky_Portugal
04-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Is there A march For the First leg? at home?

Planning is in progress just about to start the thread

PAOK17
04-22-2013, 03:43 PM
Well bad news for ya. Unless you can remember the Hamilton Steelers or the North York Rockets, and you've come to watch the pro game under MLSE grip on it in this city, you think the Canadian Club competition is the Amway Cup. As you said you their name in on the Tournament. WHICH is what it being sold. Just as there isn't a person under 30 who calls it the Skydome. The Voyageurs supporters group should have retired the cup when the MLS came to town or donated it to the CSA to be the Men's Amateur cup. It was rather nieve to think that MSLE would give something back in exchange for that history. They are an organisation of takers. Vampires. And thankfully judging by the empty seats today, the soccer moms that everyone here hates so much are the first to turn their backs on them. Maybe you should open your eyes and realize that MLSE has taken you for a chump.

And thanks, next time I'll use any of the other MLS teams field crap sides as an example when pointing out that Cups in North America that aren't play-off cups, are treated like exhibition games by the corporations that run our pro leagues who like guaranteed dates. That they can pre-sell for months or make part of ticket packages.

And this is a free country. As such I enjoyed your impressions that your emotional attachement to the past matters. :drum:

Could you please give a proper connection between MLSE and the sponsorship of this cup? Last I checked, AMYWAY is not a sponsor of TFC (please see the team's list of sponsors here: http://www.torontofc.ca/content/partners). Furthermore, there are 3 other teams that compete for this same cup. Why is TFC the only one that is the bad guy here? Has Vancouver not beaten their head into the ground the last 3-4 years when they haven't won it? Did Montreal not take advantage of winning the cup in 2008 to go all out to "sell" out the Olympic Stadium during their CCL run?

And your logic about teams using second stringers is overly simplistic. Rosters lack depth in North America so when they have to play these extra games, some teams will field second units - at least in earlier rounds. I assume you are referring to the US Open Cup. Then again, that's the case in domestic cups around Europe, too. Teams will rest their players in early rounds when they play inferior or lower division teams.

I guess if Montreal wins the cup, you won't care then? Or I guess you'll care because TFC didn't win it and therefore the TFC fans that do care about it are disappointed?

In Greece, when a fan of another team shows to care more about the fans of other teams than his own, we call that a complex.

Greatest Ripoff
04-22-2013, 04:04 PM

It's called the Voyageurs Cup!!!!!!!!!!! Please do one.

bigredone
04-22-2013, 05:19 PM
Voyageurs, it will be won.
No whitecap too high, no impact can try.
Voyageurs, it will be won.
Five for fun?
All For One!:scarf:

trane
04-22-2013, 05:46 PM

Because the team was playing like shit under them. I care about the Canadian tourney and the CL more then the MLS. THat does not mean that I want my team to be shit in the MLS. Also the only real success in the CL was under Winter, we did OK with Preki. But clealry after the start of 2012, Winter was not going to reapeat his CL success last year.

Fort York Redcoat
04-23-2013, 06:56 AM

http://www.maple-leaf-forever.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/voyageurscup.jpg

AMWAY? Nutralite? MLSE? Saputo? Nowhere to be seen.

The Voyageurs are alive and well thanks and this trophy and tournament will grow with pro teams in Canada. Your hate for MLSE has dulled your perception of this competition. Why would I want to celebrate the sponsor of any event more or instead of the founders of it and what it stood and stands for?

MLSE's team TFC have had a stranglehold on this tournament practically since our entry into it. If you want to misguidedly demonize this tournament then you have to give the blame up equally to all the owners of Canadian pro teams.

Otherwise it's only your own bias that looks "nieve".

Brooker
04-23-2013, 07:19 AM
Just as there isn't a person under 30 who calls it the Skydome.

I'm in my mid 20's and everyone I know calls it Skydome.

OgtheDim
04-23-2013, 07:41 AM
People, don't feed the :troll:

The rest of us will get on with getting on.

synkronized1
04-23-2013, 08:09 AM
I have high hopes for the team only because I love seeing the likes of Santos Laguna and Pumas come through BMO. The international flair brings out motivated fans on both sides. Games are lots of fun (in some cases more than regular season mls games for me).

trane
04-23-2013, 10:01 AM
I do prefer CL footy to MLS footy.

Yohan
04-23-2013, 10:31 AM
because we get to play 2 games against a decent opposition from Mexico! Yay!

and I look forward to awesome games against quality teams like Aguila and Tauro FC!!!!

jloome
04-23-2013, 10:38 AM

On this board, his emotional attachment matters a hell of a lot more than your opinion, 56 post boy.

Greatest Ripoff
04-23-2013, 11:05 AM

I agree but the CCL format changes from last year has made it a lot less exciting.

And for all of the naysayers, what MLS matches would you rank higher than the CCL quarter final home and away against LA, CCL semi final at bmo against Santos Laguna, CCL play-in home and away against Motagua, Cruz Azul at BMO, away at FC Dallas to qualify for the knockout round and Plata brace against Real Estelí? And I could add another 5 matches form the Voyageurs cup that I would rank higher than any MLS match.

trane
04-23-2013, 12:10 PM
because we get to play 2 games against a decent opposition from Mexico! Yay!

and I look forward to awesome games against quality teams like Aguila and Tauro FC!!!!

I do not find any american MLS team interesting or enjoyable to watch. I prefer the brand of footy played by Aguila and Tauro despite their lack of talent. No MLS player has impressed me in seven years nor has any MLS system or coach, I watch only when a Canadian side is playing otherwise I have no interest in this league. I am interested in world football in general and as I said I would watch almost any football game played by two pro or semi pro sides, with the exception of MLS the football played here continues to be somewhat naive and lacking. Again you thought that Houston would come here and whip our behind. It did not happen. Why? Because no side in the MLS is all that good, and an organized side can beat any of them with a littel offensive talent. Montreal has figured it out, and finally after seven years we seem to have figured it out. There is very little skilled or tactically intelligent play in this league. and it is boring.

trane
04-23-2013, 12:13 PM
^ It is a bit of a hyperbole, some players I have liked, but they are few and far between, De Ro and Cooper( with Houston) come to mind. Otherwise very little impression was left on me by any.

Oldtimer
04-23-2013, 12:19 PM
I do not find any american MLS team interesting or enjoyable to watch. I prefer the brand of footy played by Aguila and Tauro despite their lack of talent. No MLS player has impressed me in seven years nor has any MLS system or coach, I watch only when a Canadian side is playing otherwise I have no interest in this league. I am interested in world football in general and as I said I would watch almost any football game played by two pro or semi pro sides, with the exception of MLS the football played here continues to be somewhat naive and lacking. Again you thought that Houston would come here and whip our behind. It did not happen. Why? Because no side in the MLS is all that good, and an organized side can beat any of them with a littel offensive talent. Montreal has figured it out, and finally after seven years we seem to have figured it out. There is very little skilled or tactically intelligent play in this league. and it is boring.

I thought that when RSL was playing in the CCL final first-leg a couple of years ago I saw some very good flowing possession football, the best I've seen in North America. It was like something from a totally different league than TFC. That was one of the most memorable matches I've watched in recent years, in any league. I could barely believe my eyes.

TFC has never (yet) played at that level, but we sometimes see it with the best MLS sides.

Marc"2L"
04-23-2013, 12:22 PM

25 and it's skydome, just because everybody else could see what's wrong with the rest of the post.
I wanted to point that one out.

trane
04-23-2013, 12:26 PM
^ To time to time, I see a MLS game/side and it does surprise me, particullalry when playing non-MLS team but then the next game I see tends to be so fucking disappointing that I never watched two MLS games in a row. (again I do follow all three Canadian sides)

jloome
04-23-2013, 03:20 PM

This is still often true. I find it's a mixed bag; some teams have just enough skill to be able to open up space and create some steady flow: montreal, L.A., Seattle two years ago, RSL three years ago.

I watch a lot of MLS because I've adapted to it; you learn to key on the skill players and lament the general lack of tactical approach.

I think Nelsen is trying a hybrid in that he's trying to keep shape solid, like San Jose, but to not only rely on long balls to create. So effectively he's trying to create a two-way team with pretty static roles, but taking advantage of quick ball movement on the break to create openings.

I prefer free flow, a la Mexico, but most leagues you either get small and skillful, like mexico, or strong and fast like MLS -- it's only really the top divisions that combine both, the EPL, the Spanish league, to a lesser extent now the German and Italian leagues.

If you look at second division or below, it's always one or the other. Portugal is like Mexico in that there's a premium on technique and guile; Sweden and Norway are like the U.S. The championship in England is maybe the only hybrid, where the top teams have great flow, and speed, and strength. Of course, in almost any other large country, it would be the premier league.

I get what you're saying; second-division football by its nature will always be inferior, but there's inferior clever and there's inferior hard-working, and mls is the latter. I tend to agree.

trane
04-24-2013, 10:03 AM
^ I am a bit harsh on the MLS, but it is borne out of frustration, because at times you see games which are played well, but it is only a game here and there.

"I think Nelsen is trying a hybrid in that he's trying to keep shape solid, like San Jose, but to not only rely on long balls to create. So effectively he's trying to create a two-way team with pretty static roles, but taking advantage of quick ball movement on the break to create openings."

That is exactly what I see Nelsen doing, and while we have dropped points, it is working. Also I have to say this is my type of football. This is the basic philosophy of the football I grew up with and played as a child. Not direct in the old English style, long ball to the CF, but a direct quick counter, using the space created by the over team coming forward pressing to create. It is simple, but very effective. I tend to believe that this will be a good team by mid-late season.

Walms
04-24-2013, 10:36 AM
25 and it's skydome, just because everybody else could see what's wrong with the rest of the post.
I wanted to point that one out.

Thank You!!! I was born in 88' and I will never call it anything other than the Skydome

mook-life
04-24-2013, 10:50 AM
Thank You!!! I was born in 88' and I will never call it anything other than the Skydome

What he said

james
04-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Is there even going to be many fans at tonight's game?? At least are the supporters in the south end going to be in full voice today?

james
04-24-2013, 11:34 AM
This is still often true. I find it's a mixed bag; some teams have just enough skill to be able to open up space and create some steady flow: montreal, L.A., Seattle two years ago, RSL three years ago.

I watch a lot of MLS because I've adapted to it; you learn to key on the skill players and lament the general lack of tactical approach.

I think Nelsen is trying a hybrid in that he's trying to keep shape solid, like San Jose, but to not only rely on long balls to create. So effectively he's trying to create a two-way team with pretty static roles, but taking advantage of quick ball movement on the break to create openings.

I prefer free flow, a la Mexico, but most leagues you either get small and skillful, like mexico, or strong and fast like MLS -- it's only really the top divisions that combine both, the EPL, the Spanish league, to a lesser extent now the German and Italian leagues.

If you look at second division or below, it's always one or the other. Portugal is like Mexico in that there's a premium on technique and guile; Sweden and Norway are like the U.S. The championship in England is maybe the only hybrid, where the top teams have great flow, and speed, and strength. Of course, in almost any other large country, it would be the premier league.

I get what you're saying; second-division football by its nature will always be inferior, but there's inferior clever and there's inferior hard-working, and mls is the latter. I tend to agree.

German 2nd division is also up there with England. Strong teams with even higher attendence then in England, 2nd division teams in Germany usually have nice stadiums, good support and enough money. Other countries once you reach 2nd division the teams quality and size of stadiums usually makes a big decline, money is often on a much smaller scale and quality of play makes a huge dip from 1st division to 2nd division. I think England and Germany can go even further to about 3rd and 4th division teams that have more fans at games then other countries 2nd and sometimes even 1st division teams.

Initial B
04-24-2013, 03:51 PM
I prefer free flow, a la Mexico, but most leagues you either get small and skillful, like mexico, or strong and fast like MLS -- it's only really the top divisions that combine both, the EPL, Bundesliga, Real Madrid and Barcelona, to a lesser extent now the Italian league.
Fixed that for you. :p
I think I'd probably rate Bundesliga on par, possibly better, than EPL. In this year's Champion's League only Spanish and German teams are left. Bayern Munich seems to have put together a monster team.

LittleOzzy
04-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Edmonton with the stunning 2-1 lead right now!

ryan
04-24-2013, 09:25 PM
Vancouver's goal was offside too. lol

While dominating possession for Vancouver, Edmonton is up for this one.

Oldtimer
04-24-2013, 10:13 PM
There is a definite lower quality feel to the Eddies, but they are giving it way more effort than Vancouver.

Yohan
04-24-2013, 10:19 PM
There is a definite lower quality feel to the Eddies, but they are giving it way more effort than Vancouver.
Colin Miller blew up last year's Eddies team. This year's team has a bit more quality, but team chemistry is lacking

Kaz
04-24-2013, 10:25 PM
Poor Eddies they are being robbed.

Oldtimer
04-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Very harsh decision.

TFC isn't the only team that gives up late goals. So sad. 2-2.

TFC07
04-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Wow, just wow. This game must be fixed! Vancouver gifted with PK.

Kaz
04-24-2013, 10:29 PM
oh my Miller sent off... he is a bit of a potty mouth.

TFC07
04-24-2013, 10:31 PM
Vancouver is up 3-2 now.

Kaz
04-24-2013, 10:32 PM
3-2 for the Caps... Colin Miller sent off..

I think fitness and the Ref just killing the spirit of the Eddies ended this game.

Oldtimer
Wow, just wow. This game must be fixed! Vancouver gifted with PK.

I wouldn't say "fixed," but the ref is doing the Eddies no favours.

TOBOR !
There you go Silviu. Job done.
Congratulations.

bigredone
04-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Fuckin lucky shitcaps! I pray for the day Tfc can beat up on the fcE.

TOBOR !
04-24-2013, 10:34 PM
I wonder if Evil Ernie made the trip?

Abou Sky
04-24-2013, 10:35 PM
FUCKING BEARDED HIPPIES!

I bet that instead of showers the shitecraps have a fucking sweat lodge where they all go and bathe in each others filth and roll around in mud.

Little known fact: Darren Mattocks is actually a blonde white man!

Kaz
04-24-2013, 10:38 PM
we will just have to shut down Montreal, and then avenge the Eddies give Vancouver their 12 loss in a row.

Oldtimer
04-24-2013, 10:39 PM
I wonder if Evil Ernie made the trip?

:lol: Does he travel?

Yohan
05-02-2013, 01:42 PM
It's worth noting that Whitecaps field their first team for both legs against FC Edmonton (NASL team). So they're taking this tournament seriously as well despite playing against a weak opponent.

Caps got lucky. 2 offside goals in 1st leg and in 2nd leg pretty soft red card on Eddies. If they play like this, Montreal will eat them alive. Golazo by Hertzog though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1mpKttx2LM

1st leg is at Maison du Fromage on 15 May 730pm

TFC07
05-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Caps got lucky. 2 offside goals in 1st leg and in 2nd leg pretty soft red card on Eddies. If they play like this, Montreal will eat them alive. Golazo by Hertzog though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1mpKttx2LM

1st leg is at Maison du Fromage on 15 May 730pm

Seriously, what's going on with Whitecaps? They should perform better based on players they have on paper. Impact are going to win this thing if the Whitecaps don't get their shit together.

OgtheDim
05-02-2013, 02:08 PM
I suspect there are issues in the Whitecaps dressing room. Already shown with Reo-Coker and the 20 goal man.

Yohan
05-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Seriously, what's going on with Whitecaps? They should perform better based on players they have on paper. Impact are going to win this thing if the Whitecaps don't get their shit together.
Mattocks can't buy a goal. If there is a snakebitten striker right now, it's him. Serves him right for being a general douche though. I won't forget him taunting us last season after he scored a goal at BMO Field. 20 goals my ass

Yohan
05-02-2013, 02:16 PM
I suspect there are issues in the Whitecaps dressing room. Already shown with Reo-Coker and the 20 goal man.
it's a bit of an issue when Reo Coker walks into the room and takes over captain's armband. Yeah guy has played in EPL and captained teams, but if you just walk into the room and thinks you're the captain, and you have no history with the team, it's going to cause issues.

Greatest Ripoff
05-02-2013, 03:32 PM
it's a bit of an issue when Reo Coker walks into the room and takes over captain's armband. Yeah guy has played in EPL and captained teams, but if you just walk into the room and thinks you're the captain, and you have no history with the team, it's going to cause issues.

Reo Coker had character issues while with West Ham. I am not surprised he is having problems in Vancouver. You can go back to where it was first posted about here and you'll see that I said he would have attitude problems.

Ivy
05-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Little side note here... those Amway flags on the east stands were there during the NYRB, and are still up today. If they are not taken down by satuday, I may have to drink enough beer and tear those f-ers down my damn self. 6-0 TFC, 6-0. HIDE THEM.

BuSaPuNk
05-16-2013, 07:28 PM
Wouldn't go that far should still be proud of our accomplishments no matter how small or how they played this year.

nfitz
05-17-2013, 12:22 AM
Little side note here... those Amway flags on the east stands were there during the NYRB, and are still up today. If they are not taken down by satuday, I may have to drink enough beer and tear those f-ers down my damn self. 6-0 TFC, 6-0. HIDE THEM.Should the Toronto Maple Leafs also remove their Stanley Cup victory banners from the ACC after their meltdown in Boston?

SmokedPanda
05-17-2013, 05:44 AM
Should the Toronto Maple Leafs also remove their Stanley Cup victory banners from the ACC after their meltdown in Boston?

we have enough users on this board that don't like the Leafs and would say yes to this lol

Abou Sky
05-17-2013, 05:51 AM
Little side note here... those Amway flags on the east stands were there during the NYRB, and are still up today. If they are not taken down by satuday, I may have to drink enough beer and tear those f-ers down my damn self. 6-0 TFC, 6-0. HIDE THEM.

You would have to get through me.

We won those, you can't take that away.

Ivy
05-17-2013, 07:15 AM
Argh so much resistance! LLol looks they're down as of this morning. The Canadian and US flags are back up.

OgtheDim
05-17-2013, 07:53 AM
Like it or not, they are considered silverware.

And its more then VCWC have.

Yohan
05-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Like it or not, they are considered silverware.

And its more then VCWC have.
And this one Whitecaps supporter talks about how important it is... (the article is pretty cool story)

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2013/05/meisenheimer-prematch-speech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jcsf8ZqDvyk

Ivy
05-17-2013, 02:45 PM
That's some inspirational shit right there.
I seriously hate the impact... I hope they get their ass handed to them out west.

nascarguy
05-18-2013, 07:03 AM
there needs to be more teams playing for this cup there are ten provinces in canada so there sould be about 8 teams playing to be name the canadian champions.
this is how it can be done:

Alberta vs.British Columbia winner moves on to play winner of S vs.M

Saskatchewan vs. Manitoba winner moves on tp play winner of A vs.BC

Ontario vs. Quebec winner moves on to play winner of NB vs NS

New Brunswick vs. Nova Scotia winner moves on to play winner of Ont vs Que

all winner's get paid to move on

Oldtimer
05-29-2013, 08:50 AM
The final of the ACC tonight. Will Vancouver fail yet again to win, making it the 11th year in a row that they have failed to take the Voyageur's Cup since it was first given in 2002? That's quite a run.

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=3211&d=1369834764

BuSaPuNk
05-29-2013, 09:35 AM
I hope they do lose. I want Vancouver to be that team that never wins. I'm rooting for Montreal as much as it makes me sick to do so.

mowe
05-29-2013, 09:46 AM
Yeah I'm rooting for Montreal to keep Vancouver's cup drought going. Plus they're more fun to watch and play more Canadians. Should be a fun game, winner takes all, both teams going for it.

TFC07
05-29-2013, 09:49 AM
I hate Montreal more than Vancouver. So it's going to be very hard for me to root for Montreal over Vancouver, but as a Canadian soccer fan, I want the team who plays Canadian players most to win this tournament.

tfcleeds
05-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Can't find this game anywhere....any links?

khso11
05-29-2013, 09:32 PM
what a fk by camilo

BuSaPuNk
05-29-2013, 09:41 PM
What a goal. Vancouver wasn't fucking around out of the gate.

mowe
05-29-2013, 10:43 PM
Kobayashi scores 69', 2-1 Vancouver

EDIT: Montreal scores in the 84th minute, 2-2!

AND THAT'S THE GAME! 2-2 final, Montreal wins the Voyageur's Cup!

Have to admit took great pleasure in Vancouver watching the cup slip from their hands (12 straight years!).

WestStandGeoff
05-29-2013, 11:09 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Suck it Shitecraps!

reggie
05-29-2013, 11:37 PM
well im sure PB is happy tonight.

TFC07
05-29-2013, 11:39 PM
What's up with Vancouver bias commentary from Sportsnet? LOL @ the whitecaps. They had so many opportunities to win it, but they manage to mess it up. Vancouver is truly a choke city. Hockey or soccer, they end up finding a way to choke in the end.

nonc
05-30-2013, 12:18 AM
What's up with Vancouver bias commentary from Sportsnet? LOL @ the whitecaps. They had so many opportunities to win it, but they manage to mess it up. Vancouver is truly a choke city. Hockey or soccer, they end up finding a way to choke in the end.

It is tough watching either team win this but I'd have preferred the Whitecaps. I don't know what happened to their English commentator, the guy who does it now isn't even a soccer specialist, really suspect move by Sportsnet. Most US broadcasts also have hack regional commentators akin to Dunleavy for TFC on Score or GolTV. Wileman is possibly the best in MLS.

TFC should try and take Salgado while his stock is rock bottom.

ManUtd4ever
05-30-2013, 06:58 AM
Another heartbreaker for the Caps in this tournament, haha.

ensco
05-30-2013, 07:25 AM
I just watched the highlights. Those are good teams, and I hate to say it, it was a great final, both teams deserved to be there, and played at a high level.

Every time we've been in Concacaf, we haven't played like or looked like a champion of anything getting there. I always felt the CCL celebrating had a tin ring.

I know this won't be popular, but this tournament needs legitimate quality to legitimize this trophy.

(I assume the pile on will commence now ...)

ManUtd4ever
05-30-2013, 07:31 AM
Why would anyone pile on that opinion ensco?

It was an absolute joke that TFC won the tournament the last couple of years. I was obviously happy as a supporter, but the optics were laughable given our position in the league.

nfitz
05-30-2013, 08:41 AM
It was an absolute joke that TFC won the tournament the last couple of years. I was obviously happy as a supporter, but the optics were laughable given our position in the league.We played Montreal 5 times last year. The only time they even looked marginally better than us, while playing us, was the first MLS game up in Montreal ... and both teams looked like crap that day. Not sure the league standing tells all the story.

(This year though ... Montreal clearly looked the better team while playing Toronto.)

Oldtimer
05-30-2013, 09:27 AM
Montreal is doing well in the league and has now won the Voyageurs Cup for the 8th time. They are a legitimate winner in the true sense of the word.

I will hope they do well in the CCL and that there will be a Canadian team in the World Club Cup.

Can't say I'm sorry to see Vancouver fail for the 11th time to get the VC.

tfcocd
05-30-2013, 02:22 PM
I just watched the highlights. Those are good teams, and I hate to say it, it was a great final, both teams deserved to be there, and played at a high level.

Every time we've been in Concacaf, we haven't played like or looked like a champion of anything getting there. I always felt the CCL celebrating had a tin ring.

I know this won't be popular, but this tournament needs legitimate quality to legitimize this trophy.

(I assume the pile on will commence now ...)

I watched the whole game and it was entertaining. With the first leg draw and an early goal both teams had to press for the winner and it made for an exciting match.

The internationals for the most part gave a good account of themselves and I thought raised the quality of the game overall. Also I thought it was encouraging to see strong performances from Canadian mid fielders on either side. Bernier looks like a good leader for cmnt and tiebert looks very promising as well.

i really look forward to a critical mass of Canadian players in MLS. Not sure if that means 20 starters in the league or more and I wonder how close we are to achieving that kind of number. Half way?

I think the CMNT could nearly field a full lineup of mls defenders and midfielders which makes me wonder who are the future Canadian strikers and are there any playing now in nasl, usl or in any of the academy systems we can look forward to?

moralis
05-30-2013, 03:27 PM
I'm sure Paul Beirne congratulated Montreal for keeping the cup in the east.

What a dushbag.

TFC07
05-30-2013, 03:37 PM
I watched the whole game and it was entertaining. With the first leg draw and an early goal both teams had to press for the winner and it made for an exciting match.

The internationals for the most part gave a good account of themselves and I thought raised the quality of the game overall. Also I thought it was encouraging to see strong performances from Canadian mid fielders on either side. Bernier looks like a good leader for cmnt and tiebert looks very promising as well.

i really look forward to a critical mass of Canadian players in MLS. Not sure if that means 20 starters in the league or more and I wonder how close we are to achieving that kind of number. Half way?

I think the CMNT could nearly field a full lineup of mls defenders and midfielders which makes me wonder who are the future Canadian strikers and are there any playing now in nasl, usl or in any of the academy systems we can look forward to?

Jordan Hamilton could be the next best thing from our academy. Also, Vancouver has a kid in their academy that is tearing up in USSDA.