PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: Jesse Marsch offered contract by TFC?

mowe
12-08-2012, 11:11 AM
http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?4003&postid=432784

Jesse Marsch a reçu une offre pour diriger le Toronto FC #MLS (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLS&src=hash) https://twitter.com/PFrioletRDS/status/277427546226823170

If you don't understand French the first tweet says that Jesse Marsch (former Montreal Impact coach) has received an offer to lead Toronto FC.

UPDATE 11:00am - Canadian Soccer News has spoken to someone with knowledge of the situation and they have confirmed that the offer by Toronto FC would be to lead the team, not act as an assistant. Marsch left Toronto today after meeting with Payne on the matter. Marsch has also had talks with Chivas USA so TFC's is not the only one on the table.

Love it. Mariner needed to go, sooner rather than later. I'm fine with Marsch, he did an admirable job in Montreal. Ecstatic Payne isn't sitting on his ass. Change was necessary.

BuSaPuNk
12-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Yeah this is great news even if they don't land him. Atleast Payne is looking for a new gaffer and he knows Mariner isn't the man for the job.

ManUtd4ever
12-08-2012, 11:21 AM
It seems that Payne has already made up his mind regarding Mariner and the status quo.

Based on his commendable performance at the helm of an expansion Montreal franchise last season, Marsch would be a solid choice as a head coach, and I hope he accepts the offer.

flamehawk
12-08-2012, 11:24 AM
I definitely think that Marsch did a good job in Montreal and I think he has shown that he can have a team perform much better than Mariner. But, in light of him having split from Montreal for coaching philosophy differences, I wonder what his coaching philosophy was? What was the style of football that Montreal played?

ManUtd4ever
12-08-2012, 11:33 AM
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Head+coach+Jesse+Marsch+leaves+Montreal+Impact/7494592/story.html

MONTREAL — It took only one season in Major League Soccer for head coach Jesse Marsch and Montreal Impact management to drift apart.
Players, fans and media who cover the team were all surprised when team president Joey Saputo announced (http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/news/2012/11/montreal-impact-and-jesse-marsch-part-ways)Saturday morning that Marsch was out as head coach despite leading the expansion squad to a better-than-expected 12-16-6 record.

Team management had been emphatic at a season-ending news conference this week they were satisfied with Marsch’s work, and he continued to run practices as the squad prepared for its Nov. 5-17 trip to Italy for friendly games against Italian Serie-A clubs Bologna and Fiorentina.

But the team sent out notice Friday night it would make a major announcement. Then they informed the players in their locker room Saturday morning that Marsch was out.

“We were getting ready for practice and then we saw everybody coming into the room,” said midfielder Patrice Bernier. “We knew there was a press conference, but then they told us the coach wouldn’t be back. It was a surprise and a shock because you don’t expect that.”

Saputo said philosophical differences with Marsch had set in over how the team would be run and so the two sides had agreed to part ways.

“This is not a dismissal or a resignation,” Saputo said.

Marsch, a rookie head coach who turns 39 on Thursday, did most of the work to put the team together for its entry into MLS.

The Racine, Wisc., native then saw the squad change drastically in personnel and style of play through the season, sparked by management’s recruiting of European veterans like Italian Serie-A stars Marco Di Vaio and Alessandro Nesta.

Saputo declined to go into what differences of opinion existed between them, but admitted that a schism between the European and North American elements on the club “may be one reason.

“I won’t say it’s the only reason. You have to look at the long term process.”

Marsch was guarded at the news conference, but wore the defiant look of someone who wasn’t about to abandon his beliefs to keep a job.

He thanked the team and the fans and called the move “the right decision.”

“I’m leaving the club by mutual agreement. I had several discussions with Joey and (sporting director) Nick (De Santis) on how we could make it work and the conclusion was that this amicable split is the best solution for the club going forward.

“Looking ahead, we realized that although we had the same goals, we did not share the same philosophy.”

Marsch, who played 14 seasons in MLS for D.C. United, Chicago and Chivas USA, was signed on Aug. 10, 2011, after working as an assistant coach with the U.S. national team.

He oversaw the expansion draft and made deals to land players like energetic midfielder Davy Arnaud, who became team captain, and Brazilian midfielder Felipe Martins.

At the same time, Saputo and De Santis were bringing in Europeans like defender Matteo Ferrari and striker Bernardo Corradi.

All deny there were rifts between players from the two schools of soccer — the physical, straight-ahead American and the skill-based European — but something was amiss as the team’s playoff hopes vanished in an 0-2-3 finish to the campaign.

“We’re sad about Jesse, but in football, things happen,” Ferrari said. “Probably they were thinking of a different kind of football than Jesse proposed during the season.

“And probably they decided it was not enough because, they say we had a great season because it was our first season, but personally, the truth is, with the team we have, we should go to the playoffs this season. We didn’t, so the club was thinking like I think. But that doesn’t mean the fault is Jesse’s. It’s all the team.”

TFC OZZ
12-08-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm not too impressed by this, I don't think Marsch is much better than Mariner... Seems like change for the sake of change, and if we go on a losing streak at the start of the season we'll be complaining that we should have gotten someone else with more experience. I'm OK with a coaching change if it's for someone who's a proven commodity and clearly far better - this definitely is not that option.

AdamAM
12-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Via John Molinaro retweet on Twitter basically Kevin Payne says that the report is "a complete fabrication" Too bad :'(

mowe
12-08-2012, 12:26 PM
^The actual tweet said that reports of hiring Marsch are a fabrication. The reporter followed up with this:

(https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle) He didn't stay on the phone long enough for me to ask that. RT @thegoalkeeper (https://twitter.com/thegoalkeeper): Did he deny an interview and/or offer as opposed to a hire?

Too bad the one question the reporter got to ask couldn't even validate the reports.

[NBF]
12-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Via John Molinaro retweet on Twitter basically Kevin Payne says that the report is "a complete fabrication" Too bad :'(

Some Montreal clown having a laugh at our expense.

mcolvy
12-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Marsch's team didnt play that much differently then TFC. The Impact weren't anything close to a pleasure to watch and they surely didnt play attacking football....

johnmolinaro
12-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Take this for what it's worth, but a #TFC spokesperson told me there is no truth to the report that the club offered Marsch the head coaching job. Check my recent tweets for more info.

So the club is now on the record denying the report, in addition to Payne telling Jeff Carlisle it's a "complete fabrication."

If, however, it turns out to be true, this could come back to bite them and be a biog PR mess for them.

John Molinaro

Toronto
12-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Marsch's team didnt play that much differently then TFC. The Impact weren't anything close to a pleasure to watch and they surely didnt play attacking football....

They were 21 more points enjoyable and pleasurable to watch. They also scored more goals in 12 games than their opponent did resulting in 12 wins to our hopeless 5 wins. So I'd say that Marsh's team played a much more robust and attacking football than we did. And Marsh did so with an ageing Coradi and a useless Braun to work with. Imagine him working with Koevermans.

But I regress. Lets stick with idiot we have now as gaffer or let some euro coaching headhunter pick a coach.

ag futbol
12-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Ok, I’ve seen a few people write this and I assume it’s based on Mtl’s start to the season or their direct head-to-head games with TFC. I probably watched about 15 games of theirs last season and I have to say that those performances were atypical compared to their form at the end of the season. They started off looking TFC bad, but by the time it was all over they played at a pretty high standard. The difference was the defensive core getting stronger with guys coming back from injury and new signings. Also, Patrice Bernier hit a whole new level in terms of form and helped complement Felipe’s play in the midfield.

To me, the knock on Marsh was that he was allowing career MLS guys do stupid things while their imports – who were playing at a higher level – were shaking their heads. Benching Bernier at the start of the season definitely cost him a rebuke from some of the more experienced players. Watching some of their games, guys like Mapp and Nyassi would do things that would drive the European contingent absolutely nuts (bad runs off the ball, not making simple passes, etc…).

That being said, when they hit form, they were EXTREMELY well organized. The question is whether they were well organized and did well because of their signings – probably attributable to Saputo, not Marsh – or because of the coach. So I’m not so sure the jury is out on him being a good coach yet or not, but he’s a decent name to have in consideration. We could do worse.

[NBF]
12-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Jesse Marsch, is a good young head coach. Its worth noting that he has one average season in MLS under his belt and already he's looking alot more positive than Paul Mariner. The way that Paul Mariner has tarnished his short coaching career with TFC is amazing.

brad
12-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Ives also reporting its all BS.

TFC07
12-08-2012, 04:53 PM
I hope this rumour is false. Marsch doesn't fit the profile for a team trying to play attacking soccer.

GuelphStorm2007
12-08-2012, 05:08 PM
If this is a rumour and a false one at that from the sounds of it . But at the same time I think Payne is in the Market for a new manager but we shall see.

ArmenJBX
12-08-2012, 05:13 PM
This story is probably half true and half false.

From the sources I've talked to, people are denying it, but if the story is true, revealing something now would hurt negotiations, so vehemently denying the story would be the official line from all parties involved. As for Mariner denying it, he might not even know, to be honest.

Personally, I'd love to see Marsch at TFC. I've spoken to him a few times and he's a nice enough guy, and he gets mad when he loses. He's a passionate guy. We'll have to wait and see.

__wowza
12-08-2012, 05:16 PM

if thats true, then we've already gotten something we needed with a president: a transparent front office that isn't going to remain silent on stories with the club.

mcolvy
12-08-2012, 05:52 PM
if thats true, then we've already gotten something we needed with a president: a transparent front office that isn't going to remain silent on stories with the club.

A loud mouth front office could be viewed as unprofessional and discouraged league wide. Look at AA over in the Blue Jays camp, he's built league wide respect based purely on his secretive ways. He insists all talks he has with his peers is kept quite or he cuts off talks.

No one wants a story to get out on deals that "could have been". Just like the potential Bocanegra signing last summer, no word was made of it and no front office official talked about it to this day. If it doesn't happen, why bother teasing the fans? People want to know details. If word gets out that a deal is in the works, then it drives up the price, since fans expect that the deal needs to be done and failure to make it happen leads to disappointment.

I want my front office silent and filled with red tape. All I expect is accountability. We need ALOT with a president and this isn't one of those needs.

__wowza
12-08-2012, 06:03 PM
I want my front office silent and filled with red tape. All I expect is accountability. We need ALOT with a president and this isn't one of those needs.

fair nuff, but i know that in the past i know we've run into a plethora of issues with the FO saying a few things or not saying anything at all. it seems with payne we have a single source all information is running through instead of cochrane/mariner/anselmi/the media/etc.

Richard
12-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Marsch would be a complete upgrade from Mariner. How good can he become is the question.

moralis
12-08-2012, 07:34 PM
I don't understand this: TFC management including Kevin Payne say it's "Total Fabrication" and Paul Mariner denies reports.

Jeff Carlisle ‏@JeffreyCarlisle
Just got off the phone with Kevin Payne. Calls reports of #TFC hiring Jesse Marsch to be head coach "a complete fabrication." #mls

and

FWIW, just got a text from Paul Mariner denying reports that Marsch is set to replace him. #tfc

However, Jesse March goes on TVA Sports in Montreal saying he does not deny the rumours, but wants to remain silent. - Saturday afternoon (Dec 8, 2012)

"I think right now, I prefer not to answer these questions." - Quote from Jesse Marsch

http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en...ved=0CDQQ7gEwAA (http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://tvasports.ca/tvasports/soccer/archives/2012/12/20121208-142307.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3DMarsch%2Breste%2Bmuet%26hl%3Den%26cli ent%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DAcV%26tbo%3Dd%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26channel%3Drcs&sa=X&ei=GtTDULDoN4T5ygHdv4GACQ&ved=0CDQQ7gEwAA)

Not sure if anyone understands French, but the Montreal reporter who first reported talked about on a French podcast. Please post info if you understand what they say.

http://www.mountroyalsoccer.com/2012/12/8/...of-rds-and-more (http://www.mountroyalsoccer.com/2012/12/8/3744874/jesse-marsch-at-tfc-rumours-talk-with-patrick-friolet-of-rds-and-more)

http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/25174/info

Who is telling the truth? What gives?

Oldtimer
12-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Patrick Friolet simply says that Jesse Marsch had received an offer to direct Toronto FC. He also says that Kevin Payne is close to Bob Bradley and Bob set things up with Marsch. Marsch also knows Braun, Patrick says in the podcast. Whether Marsch will accept is another thing.

moralis
12-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Response to Oldtimer:

Then why does Kevin Payne say it's "Total Fabrication" and Paul Mariner denies the reports.

Just got off the phone with Kevin Payne. Calls reports of #TFC hiring Jesse Marsch to be head coach "a complete fabrication." #mls

and

FWIW, just got a text from Paul Mariner denying reports that Marsch is set to replace him. #tfc

and Soccer by Ives says:

Ives Galarcep ‏@SoccerByIves (https://twitter.com/SoccerByIves) Contrary to reports, Jesse Marsch has not been in Toronto recently, not been offered a TFC job & not been contacted by TFC about a job there

He's got a lot of good contacts and has been right on breaking the recent trades.

But, Jesse Marsch goes on TVA Sports in Montreal and doesn't deny the story:

He just says: "I think right now, I prefer not to answer these questions." - Quote from Jesse Marsch

http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://tvasports.ca/tvasports/soccer/archives/2012/12/20121208-142307.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3DMarsch%2Breste%2Bmuet%26hl%3Den%26cli ent%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DAcV%26tbo%3Dd%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26channel%3Drcs&sa=X&ei=GtTDULDoN4T5ygHdv4GACQ&ved=0CDQQ7gEwAA

Now a day's you don't know what to believe. I guess we will have to wait and see.

FluSH
12-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Rumours... Tweets... The offseason... Now we're talking! Whether true or not I agree with an BuSaPunk... It's still great news.

TOBOR !
12-08-2012, 11:31 PM
I hope this rumour is false. Marsch doesn't fit the profile for a team trying to play attacking soccer. you must be joking. Who's trying to play attacking football?

TOBOR !
12-08-2012, 11:38 PM
.. Still, the fact that there is any kind of discussion about replacing Mariner can only be positive.

TFC07
12-08-2012, 11:54 PM
you must be joking. Who's trying to play attacking football?

TFC! lol They have been preaching that since season was over.

TOBOR !
12-09-2012, 12:30 AM
TFC! lol They have been preaching that since season was over.
Ah. Touché.

Smokecell
12-09-2012, 01:44 AM
Damn it, should've known better...Christmas isn't until the 25th. A gift like Mariner getting canned couldn't possibly come this early could it??

Oldtimer
12-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Response to Oldtimer:

Then why does Kevin Payne say it's "Total Fabrication" and Paul Mariner denies the reports.

I don't know the answer to your questions.

I just listened to the podcast and translated it for you. :scarf:

(BTW it was very annoying to have to listen through a lot of pro-Impact propaganda before getting to the useful part of the podcast:prrr:)

bigredone
12-09-2012, 10:30 AM
"(BTW it was very annoying to have to listen through a lot of pro-Impact propaganda before getting to the useful part of the podcast:prrr:)" - Oldtimer

Sorry, but we are thankful. At 9:05 on a Sunday morning, no one should have to listen to Limpact crapaganda. Rumours, lies and denials; sounds like the typical workplace.

[NBF]
12-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Damn it, should've known better...Christmas isn't until the 25th. A gift like Mariner getting canned couldn't possibly come this early could it??

I would almost compare Paul Mariner to getting a fruit cake on Christmas. You just mentally have to prepare yourself and dont get fooled that you wont get anything different. Basically lower your standards.

ManUtd4ever
12-09-2012, 11:40 AM
The MLS website is reporting that Chivas is on the verge of hiring Jose Luis Sanchez Sola as their manager. Considering that Marsch reportedly spoke to TFC and Chivas about a manager's position, the likelihood of Marsch joining TFC may have just increased.

As for the rhetoric from the TFC brass, it is commonplace to deny media speculation until an agreement is official.

PopePouri
12-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Sola's another foreigner coming into this league trying to revolutionize the league with a different style of play. Sounds familiar.

TFCwestcan
12-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Rumours... Tweets... The offseason... Now we're talking! Whether true or not I agree with an BuSaPunk... It's still great news.

I was thinking the same and with an upcoming (rumoured) trade in the works, leaked on a weekend. I't's almost more exciting than the regular season.

maxpower
12-10-2012, 12:36 AM
supposedly hes also gotten an offer from Chivas USA.

Red Rat
12-10-2012, 01:34 PM
The day Mariner gets canned I will grab the drum and go down to BMO and dance, NAKED!!!!!

Yohan
12-10-2012, 01:35 PM
The day Mariner gets canned I will grab the drum and go down to BMO and dance, NAKED!!!!!
I'm starting a 'Keep Mariner forever, Keep red rat clothed' group

ag futbol
12-10-2012, 01:47 PM
I wonder if this is a case of Payne expecting Mariner to fall on his sword early and wanting to immediately be ready with a replacement.

nfitz
12-10-2012, 01:55 PM
The day Mariner gets canned I will grab the drum and go down to BMO and dance, NAKED!!!!!You might want to at least wear some shorts.

Petor
12-10-2012, 02:37 PM
You might want to at least wear some shorts.

LOL!!! Low Blow! :)

Super
12-10-2012, 03:23 PM
I wonder if this is a case of Payne expecting Mariner to fall on his sword early and wanting to immediately be ready with a replacement.

That would be dangerously unwise. Consider the fact that Mariner is right now working hard to populate our squad with HIS guys. We fire him 5 games into the season a new coach would have no room to make necessary changes to a team that he inherits. Also, if Payne feels that Mariner is not right for the job, but wants Mariner to fall on his own sword by losing the first 5 games of the season, then it's Payne's decision that put us in harms way.

Mariner is not responsible for TFC anymore. It's Payne. Whatever happens moving forward is on Payne - 100%!

ManUtd4ever
12-10-2012, 03:40 PM
That would be dangerously unwise. Consider the fact that Mariner is right now working hard to populate our squad with HIS guys. We fire him 5 games into the season a new coach would have no room to make necessary changes to a team that he inherits. Also, if Payne feels that Mariner is not right for the job, but wants Mariner to fall on his own sword by losing the first 5 games of the season, then it's Payne's decision that put us in harms way.

Mariner is not responsible for TFC anymore. It's Payne. Whatever happens moving forward is on Payne - 100%!

I think it's fairly evident that Payne is going to rebuild the roster with players that he has identified moving forward. If Mariner is allowed to to start the season as the head coach, he will succeed or fail with the roster he is dealt.

Ultra & Proud
12-10-2012, 03:43 PM
That would be dangerously unwise. Consider the fact that Mariner is right now working hard to populate our squad with HIS guys.

I don't think he is. That article last week mentioned Mariner saying that 'they' reviewed the deals TFC put out in Europe, including the ones on a free, and decided to pull them off the table. To me that says Mariner put the deals out during the pre-Payne era and now that Payne is in charge he took a peek at them and thusly said no thanks.

I say any player(s) we acquire now, through either signings or trade, are all Payne. No Mariner, Cochrane or anybody else.

Oldtimer
12-10-2012, 03:50 PM
I don't think he is. That article last week mentioned Mariner saying that 'they' reviewed the deals TFC put out in Europe, including the ones on a free, and decided to pull them off the table. To me that says Mariner put the deals out during the pre-Payne era and now that Payne is in charge he took a peek at them and thusly said no thanks.

I say any player(s) we acquire now, through either signings or trade, are all Payne. No Mariner, Cochrane or anybody else.

Mariner might be putting in requests, but Payne will put his own stamp on things, so he will be responsible, and keep Mariner from making stupid deals.

Canary10
12-10-2012, 04:10 PM

Which article was that? I didn't see it.

[NBF]
12-10-2012, 06:47 PM

Can you imagine that? Paul Mariner thinks he's on a free ride and goes on a vacation to Scandinavia and Cyprus with nothing to show for it. I think that would be grounds for me to look for someone to replace him prior to the draft which I think can only be good news.

If Ultra & Proud actually has a link to that story, it will be indicative of the way forward for TFC without Mariner. There's already too many red flags with Mariner.

tfc2008
12-10-2012, 08:51 PM
p

you have to wait at least one year because Mariner go nowhere then stay with Toronto

sorry guys but is the true

FluSH
12-10-2012, 09:59 PM

Lol let's hope its not in the winter!

bignickel
12-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Lol let's hope its not in the winter!

C'mon flush, winter was never that type of guy!!