PDA

View Full Version : Eric Avila out of contract

iy12l
12-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Nice one Paul Mariner...

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/12/06/angel-de-guzman-remain-available-2012-re-entry-draft

We should definitely pick up Ike Opara and maybe Maicon Santos

BuSaPuNk
12-06-2012, 09:51 PM
You know what looking at that list I really wouldn't mind bringing back Barrett, Freeman, Santos or taking a stab at Opara or Casey. Any help would be good help. Obviously it would depend on prices as well.

cmonyoureds
12-06-2012, 10:16 PM
You know what looking at that list I really wouldn't mind bringing back Barrett, Freeman, Santos or taking a stab at Opara or Casey. Any help would be good help. Obviously it would depend on prices as well.

Didn't Conor Casey snub us back in year 1? If I recall correctly then p** on him and I hope no one picks him up.
Actually I'm positive at one point we were chanting the "T.O reject" at him during a game.

Richard
12-06-2012, 10:30 PM

Maybe for 60k a season, god love Barrett and his hustle but he cant finish to save his life. Santos is a tease because he has the long bomb, his aattitude and lack of workrate make him a bad character, he pouts to much for me.

BuSaPuNk
12-06-2012, 11:33 PM
Didn't Conor Casey snub us back in year 1? If I recall correctly then p** on him and I hope no one picks him up.
Actually I'm positive at one point we were chanting the "T.O reject" at him during a game.

Yeah I know. But just looking at worse case really. To me really only Barrett and Opera are really the only options. Well beside Freeman, would make a good bench player.

burlington Red
12-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Maybe for 60k a season, god love Barrett and his hustle but he cant finish to save his life. Santos is a tease because he has the long bomb, his aattitude and lack of workrate make him a bad character, he pouts to much for me.

Bang on about Barrett, great work rate just not a natural finisher, a bit like Johnson really for us last season

Technorgasm
12-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Colin Samuel still available.
That kid is ELECTRIC. . especially at taking Pks.

Avila was an exciting player for us, I thought he brought a lot to the table.

Whats teh deal with Plata now?

Super
12-07-2012, 08:37 PM

Yes, he did snub us I guess, but I didn't take that so personally. The guy played in Germany and wanted to make a move to the MLS. So he signed with the league and was allocated to TFC - but really he wanted to go to Colorado since that's where his wife is from. Sure enough he managed to engineer a trade, and 5 seasons, 119 games and 52 goals later, he's released from contract. Add to that a title. HARDLY a T.O reject. And again, I never took it personally. He wanted to be close to family, and got his wish. It's not like Toronto offered him much to begin with anyway except a losing team.

Oldtimer
12-07-2012, 08:51 PM

Barrett's problem in T.O. was that he started out over-priced, then Mo gave him a raise. He is the kind of player who leaves it all on the pitch, I wouldn't mind him at the right price.

Ajax TFC
12-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Here I thought this thread was going to be about Avila. You know, because of the thread's title... At the very least I would have expected the opening post to be about him. Maybe I'm just oldschool like that:noidea:

BuSaPuNk
12-07-2012, 09:26 PM
What would be a thread on this board without it being hijacked at some point?

Ajax TFC
12-07-2012, 10:18 PM
except this case is notable because the hijacking started with the opening post

London
12-08-2012, 02:23 PM
i am not sad to see this player go, sure he likely had the most skills on the club but he realy didn't fit in and it was noticable when he played. His size was a big factor as well

Richard
12-08-2012, 06:34 PM
i am not sad to see this player go, sure he likely had the most skills on the club but he realy didn't fit in and it was noticable when he played. His size was a big factor as well

I would say Silva and Plata have more skill. My issue with Avila is his game mentally, he would disapear for long stretches and wouldnt get a touch on the ball.

Compared to a player like Dero his workrate is 10 times less and much younger, Dero would be all over the pitch and influential.

JavierMartini
12-09-2012, 02:09 PM
What is this world coming to? Chad Barrett is one of the worst finishers of the modern era.g:D

West220Side
12-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Is this the Chad Barrett appreciation thread? Let me get my 2 cents in here.
Chad Barrett did wonderful while learning under Dichio. I still remember there was a Chicago game at BMO after he was traded where instead of warming up he was at the half chatting with a former Chicago teammate and I witnessed Dichio walk over and grab him dragging him off to warm up.
Barrett could be transformed into a wonderful poacher at the right price under Koevermans guidance. Whenever he had no time to think, that ball was in the back of the net, its when he had room to run and think, and tried to be Pele that he missed.
I always thought with his speed (he did have a pretty good sprint) he would have done well playing on the right side of midfield or something, sortve like a Magee? Striker playing a bit off to the side of midfield. He might do well there. Take him at $90,000 - $120,000 and id love to see him in red again. Can't lie, Barrett was the man.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2923/barrettpwnz.png

TFC07
12-09-2012, 05:12 PM
I can't believe people here are having discussing over a scrub like Barrett. Please don't come back to Toronto! We already have enough athletes with no soccer skills on this team, we don't need another one.

BuSaPuNk
12-09-2012, 05:46 PM
He might not have the skills of an all star but Barrett had more heart then have our current squad.

TFC07
12-09-2012, 07:45 PM
But playing with heart alone isn't going to win you many games. We desperately need talent in this team if we want to make it to the playoffs next season.

BuSaPuNk
12-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Good point but would you want a group of talent that will just fend for themselves or a bunch of guys with heart that would die for the badge on the front of the jersey. You need guys like that I think more then alot of talent.

Northern Soul
12-10-2012, 03:44 PM
But playing with heart alone isn't going to win you many games. We desperately need talent in this team if we want to make it to the playoffs next season.

Players with a crapload of talent who don't care about the shirt aren't going to win you games either. You need a good combination of skill and heart. If Barrett came cheap, I'd take him back.

Ultra & Proud
12-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Isn't this whole needing players on the team who work hard and have heart but little talent fly in direct opposition to the half year freak out and protest(s) over the kind of players Mariner was filling the squad with?

ag futbol
12-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Isn't this whole needing players on the team who work hard and have heart but little talent fly in direct opposition to the half year freak out and protest(s) over the kind of players Mariner was filling the squad with?
My thoughts exactly. It also flys in direct opposition to our results on the field. I think our teams in years one and two were filled with character guys who busted their asses and wanted to be part of something special at BMO, but they were awful footballers and the results stank.

I also think it's a little crazy to assume anything but the vast majority of guys in this league are hard working. Their effort might not show as explicitly as someone like Chad Barrett, running around in mindless circles, but it's there.

T-boy
12-10-2012, 06:03 PM

Touche! Everybody's hated player Terry D was mocked and moaned at as he was "hard working but talentless". In the end of the day, we need to be looking beyond Barrett, Dunfield, RJ9 and try and find some real quality as well as hard work. Hard work may get us up from bottom of the league, but real quality will be needed to get us to mid table and beyond.

Thomas
12-10-2012, 09:57 PM
No Barett please. Over paid, and did not deliver the goods.

Good point but would you want a group of talent that will just fend for themselves or a bunch of guys with heart that would die for the badge on the front of the jersey. You need guys like that I think more then alot of talent.

Ajax TFC
12-10-2012, 10:03 PM
players at either extreme suck equally. But I really don't think Avila fits into the category of only looking out for himself. I think the player that best represents your point is Maicon Santos. Great scoring ability, but didn't really care, didn't do any work off or on the ball, and didn't care about his team mates. That kind of player will win you as few games in the long run as someone who has a massive heart but no skill, positioning, or speed.

IMO in this league you have to build a team with players who have both and balance those who have more skill and those with more fight. Avila wasn't so lacking in fight that he was useless. In a half decent team he had enough to be an asset. The fact that he wasn't willing to run his ass off in a hopeless attempt to look respectable with no game plan, doesn't make him a player that doesn't care at all a la Santos.

BuSaPuNk
12-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Agree with ya Ajax. I mean if Barrett is part of the bigger plan I think he would do well behind Koevs and would supplement our attack as well as getting on some of the stragglers. Pushing guys to play harder. I think that's really what were missing a no nonsense player with talent and heart. Fuck do I ever miss Dichio.

West220Side
12-10-2012, 10:28 PM
With the heart of Barrett & Dunfield we'll have the heart of twenty men.

CommradePolski
12-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Bring back the Gargan!