PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2012-2013 off-season general player moves/speculation/etc.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Oldtimer
12-01-2012, 10:18 PM
We have a "one thread per player" method for discussing confirmed or highly likely player movements. General discussion, rumours without sources, and speculation can go in this thread. Feel free to discuss our roster here.

[NBF]
12-02-2012, 10:26 AM
We have a "one thread per player" method for discussing confirmed or highly likely player movements. General discussion, rumours without sources, and speculation can go in this thread. Feel free to discuss our roster here.

Luis Silva, is gone to the Bundesliga 2. in the offseason. Last night the Garber said that they would try to help teams keep some of their best players from bolting to Europe in order to keep building the quality of the league(ie. Stuart Holden, or Geoff Cameron). This was in response to a question about the Central/South American trend in 2012. He also mentioned investing in academies.

My assumption with regards to Luis Silva is that he will end up in the U.S.A. playing for either the NYRB or Chivas USA team.

KGH
12-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Larsen tweeted this am that Houston doesn't appear to be picking up Hainaults option. A back 4 of Ecks, Hainault, O'Dea, and Morgan would be pretty solid.

Richard
12-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Larsen tweeted this am that Houston doesn't appear to be picking up Hainaults option. A back 4 of Ecks, Hainault, O'Dea, and Morgan would be pretty solid.

Thats not bad, however what we really need is a midfield boss. Frings is old and Dunfield is not good enough. Our problem stems from our midfield being overun, our D couldnt cope with the constant preasure.

Ajax TFC
12-02-2012, 02:46 PM
I think Hainault will go to Montreal.

PopePouri
12-02-2012, 03:27 PM
I think Hainault will go to Montreal.We get first go before them right? I say take him first round.

moralis
12-02-2012, 04:39 PM
If Houston doesn't pick up Andre Hainault's option I would take him with the first pick in the MLS Re-entry draft. In 2012, Hainault made $150,000 and is set to make $163,125 in 2013.

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/October%201,%202012%20Salary%20Information%20-%20By%20Club.pdf

ensco
12-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Hainault should not come here. Too much CMNT bitterness. He would not get a fair shake.

I wish the world was a different place, but nobody here could get past the 8-1 game. He'd just get killed.

Ajax TFC
12-02-2012, 06:34 PM
We get first go before them right? I say take him first round.
whoops, I completely forgot about that whole reentry draft thing. In that case I hope we take him

moralis
12-02-2012, 06:37 PM
It's MLS related, but I thought I would add it here: Rumoured blockbuster deal (according to Ives)

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/12/sources-olave-and-espindola-heading-to-rbny-johnson-going-to-portland-as-rsl-prepare-to-shake-up-roster.html

Looks like MLS teams are off and running with deal making. I think TFC will join them. Will be interesting week.

PopePouri
12-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Hainault should not come here. Too much CMNT bitterness. He would not get a fair shake.

I wish the world was a different place, but nobody here could get past the 8-1 game. He'd just get killed.

I see it a different way. He's a MLS starter and he can rebuild his MNT legacy but proving what he can do. Let's hope KP puts the other pieces together.

KGH
12-02-2012, 07:43 PM
I see it a different way. He's a MLS starter and he can rebuild his MNT legacy but proving what he can do. Let's hope KP puts the other pieces together.

As well as being a mentor to the next gen of MNTers in Morgan and Henry. I think there's a lot here for him to build on.

Yohan
12-02-2012, 08:01 PM
wow. Jason Kreis's version of hulk smash. wouldn't be surprised if he tries to move Javier Morales too

Ultra & Proud
12-03-2012, 09:39 AM

I bet if you asked all 16,000 SSHs who Hainault is, what country is he from, and who he played for last about 1/4 would have a clue. If that. Just because the SGs know doesn't mean it pans out to the greater populace at BMO.

And from your statement we should never get another 2012 edition CMNT member again on our squad? So if Will Johnson didn't like the idea of going to Portland and wanted to come here we should say no because of 'bitterness'?

prizby
12-03-2012, 10:46 AM
;1545656']
My assumption with regards to Luis Silva is that he will end up in the U.S.A. playing for either the NYRB or Chivas USA team.

is there any basis to him being traded or you just blind guessing?

ensco
12-03-2012, 11:43 AM
And from your statement we should never get another 2012 edition CMNT member again on our squad? So if Will Johnson didn't like the idea of going to Portland and wanted to come here we should say no because of 'bitterness'?

Not what I said.

If you don't understand why Hainault is different than Johnson ... nothing I can do about that.

T-boy
12-03-2012, 01:34 PM

1 game doesn't make a career, or doesn't make you a bad player. I think most rational Toronto football fans would realised that.

spark
12-03-2012, 01:58 PM
1 game doesn't make a career, or doesn't make you a bad player. I think most rational Toronto football fans would realised that.

This one is too easy ...

Ultra & Proud
12-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Not what I said.

If you don't understand why Hainault is different than Johnson ... nothing I can do about that.

You think he was the only one who had a horrible match down there in Honduras? We had nine other players out there just as bad on that day, especially in midfield. Besides, that's international play. He was quite good in league play last season and has been fairly solid for a quite a few years.

It was you who mentioned the bitterness at the CMNT and I think it's safe to assume that you are implying that the fans would drop the blame for that match on Hainault. What I am saying is that the majority of our fan base has no idea who Hainault is, who he played for, what position he plays, or anything. You overestimate our fan base's broader knowledge of the game. Most non-SG folks I talk to, and I generally hang out with a lot of them, don't follow our CMNT or even the rest of MLS. They know TFC period and will be totally fine with anyone who plays here as long as they are good and help us win and really, that's all that should matter anyway.

ensco
12-03-2012, 02:07 PM
I actually like Hainault but believe that popular opinion would turn against him (or Kuklowski) faster than you can count to one, when he makes a mistake. Maybe he could play in Montreal, given the hometown thing ... anyone who disagrees, fine. If he comes we'll find out. I say he wouldn't get a fair shake.

Yohan
12-03-2012, 02:36 PM
I actually like Hainault but believe that popular opinion would turn against him (or Kuklowski) faster than you can count to one, when he makes a mistake. Maybe he could play in Montreal, given the hometown thing ... anyone who disagrees, fine. If he comes we'll find out. I say he wouldn't get a fair shake.
yeah, but Hainault would still look like an all star compared to shit like Garcia, Reda, Velez, etc

Richard
12-03-2012, 02:39 PM

What do you mean fair shake? The fans dont determine who plays, signed, waived.

Its up to the player to perform, fans dont dictate if he is any good or not. A bunch of fans heckling wont destroy a players mentality or ability to play. Players dont get run out of town by fans, their performancs and managments decision does.

T-boy
12-03-2012, 02:47 PM
This one is too easy ...

??????

19Barrett19
12-03-2012, 03:04 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/12/03/real-salt-lake-deal-braun-toronto-defender-maund

Braun in TFC Maund OUT! (TRADE)

spark
12-03-2012, 03:06 PM
??????

IMO that is a very small minority.

ryan
12-03-2012, 03:07 PM
someone traded for Maund? LOL

T-boy
12-03-2012, 03:08 PM
IMO that is a very small minority.

Yes, that's definitely fair enough!

Ultra & Proud
12-03-2012, 03:08 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/12/03/real-salt-lake-deal-braun-toronto-defender-maund

Braun in TFC Maund OUT! (TRADE)

Anything that gets Maund off our team is a plus but I would still rate Braun higher than Wiedeman and he's shown more than Amerikwa as well. Decent depth deal even without the whole getting better by subtraction thing.

T-boy
12-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Getting shot of Maund is like having a new signing, even without the Braun trade! Braun looks a decent depth striker.

Yohan
12-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Anything that gets Maund off our team is a plus but I would still rate Braun higher than Wiedeman and he's shown more than Amerikwa as well. Decent depth deal even without the whole getting better by subtraction thing.

expensive depth. I think Braun is at 150k, and his contract may be expired, but he can't cut it at Mtl and esp in RSL that could use any half decent striker. I don't know. got mixed feelings about this trade.

Canary10
12-03-2012, 03:14 PM

Can't agree more with that. I noticed the release said Maund is a defender. Did Mariner know that?

tfcleeds
12-03-2012, 03:14 PM
You think he was the only one who had a horrible match down there in Honduras? We had nine other players out there just as bad on that day, especially in midfield. Besides, that's international play. He was quite good in league play last season and has been fairly solid for a quite a few years. Gotta say, I agree with you 100% here. Hainault was hardly the only person who looked bad that day, and I don't hold the result against him any more than I do any of the other players. Yes, I still cringe when I think of that match, but I don't remember that match as being the one where "Hainault crapped the bed" or any one other individual - we sucked as a collective unit that day, and it should have no bearing on the kind of reception a player should get if they were to come here to play for TFC. I for one would welcome Hainault, he'd be an obvious upgrade over what we've got, and could be a much needed mentor for the likes of Morgan, etc.

19Barrett19
12-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Braun seems decent when in Chivas USA at least from what i remember. Considering we lost maund i think TFC is bringing in help at CM. We have torsten and Dunfield Stinson. I also think that Wiedeman is as good as gone at his salary.

Gazza
12-03-2012, 03:29 PM
I can take having a useless striker over a useless central midfield/defender any day. Maund was absolutely brutal.

mcolvy
12-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Braun seems decent when in Chivas USA at least from what i remember. Considering we lost maund i think TFC is bringing in help at CM. We have torsten and Dunfield Stinson. I also think that Wiedeman is as good as gone at his salary.

My god. Its about how good someone is for the money your paying them. Dunfied makes chump change so he's worth what we pay him. Braun is a good depth guy at around 65-80k. 100+k makes him over payed for a targetman who can't poach. He won't be potting the ball in the net a ton, so where exactly are the goals going to come from?

brad
12-03-2012, 03:39 PM
someone traded for Maund? LOL

Someone who knows what they are doing. Interesting...

Richard
12-03-2012, 03:42 PM

Watch Maund turn out to be a decent CB :facepalm:.

ryan
12-03-2012, 03:44 PM

If Maund turns into a legend Ex-TFC like everyone else seems to, we know we are cursed. He's a bum.

ManUtd4ever
12-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Justin Braun is more than a depth player. He has scored 24 goals and 13 assists in 78 games as a starter in his MLS career, and he's only 25.

Solid trade in my opinion.

TFC07
12-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Mariner is probably crying that Payne traded one of his players away. Hopefully Payne continues to waive or trade Mariner's players.

19Barrett19
12-03-2012, 03:51 PM
$441,500
this is the amount saved on dumping Maund, Cann, Harden, Lindsey, Cordon, Williams. On base MLS salary. Picking up Braun put us 100,000 + so thats $341,500. Look at is this way harden made 90+K last year!

Oh yeah add Makabuya to that list as well

Gazza
12-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Mariner is probably crying that Payne traded one of his players away. Hopefully Payne continues to waive or trade Mariner's players.

Maybe he can sneak Mariner into one of his trades too.

Ultra & Proud
12-03-2012, 03:53 PM
expensive depth. I think Braun is at 150k, and his contract may be expired, but he can't cut it at Mtl and esp in RSL that could use any half decent striker. I don't know. got mixed feelings about this trade.

$104k. A bit pricey but when thinking about it, a savings over Johnson, a player of a comparable strike rate and whom I think will be cut.

notthesun
12-03-2012, 03:54 PM
What I find odd about this is that Mariner loved the guy. He played him all the time ahead of far better players. It's surprising to me that we'd then turn around and trade him... but I suppose this clearly shows that Payne is in charge here, because I doubt Mariner would've made this move.

As for the trade itself, meh. I doubt this is something that will have a huge impact. Maund never should've gotten the playing time he did (especially out of position in midfield), he wasn't anywhere near ready. That being said, he didn't show much promise in the time he got either. I don't mind trading him given what we've seen, but if he ends up building a solid career somewhere else, it's proof that we didn't give him enough time to develop.

Yohan
12-03-2012, 03:57 PM
$104k. A bit pricey but when thinking about it, a savings over Johnson, a player of a comparable strike rate and whom I think will be cut.
2012 stats. 14 games played, no goals, 1 assist. IIRC he wasn't injured for most of the season. (though I could be wrong)

Canary10
12-03-2012, 03:58 PM
What I find odd about this is that Mariner loved the guy. He played him all the time ahead of far better players. It's surprising to me that we'd then turn around and trade him... but I suppose this clearly shows that Payne is in charge here, because I doubt Mariner would've made this move.

As for the trade itself, meh. I doubt this is something that will have a huge impact. Maund never should've gotten the playing time he did (especially out of position in midfield), he wasn't anywhere near ready. That being said, he didn't show much promise in the time he got either. I don't mind trading him given what we've seen, but if he ends up building a solid career somewhere else, it's proof that we didn't give him enough time to develop.

Not sure Mariner loved him. I think he looked at his central midfield after Frings got hurt, and realized, after trading JDG, there was no one left to play there.

Yohan
12-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Not sure Mariner loved him. I think he looked at his central midfield after Frings got hurt, and realized, after trading JDG, there was no one left to play there.
Matt Stinson hates you lol

19Barrett19
12-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Braun played 581 min in RSL and MTL combined only started 5 games. that not a lot of playing time is you ask me. On the other side Maund played 947 min + Champions League.

Canary10
12-03-2012, 04:04 PM

Ha, yeah.

Hey, he was injured....

notthesun
12-03-2012, 04:12 PM

Loved is probably too strong a word. But he played him consistently in center mid when he still had Silva, Avila, Dunfield, and Stinson. Silva played forward sometimes, fair enough, but that still leaves Mariner placing Maund above two of those three guys. Hell, did we still have Cordon at that point? I'd probably have at least tried him as well. Or even moved Hall, as bad as he is, into center mid, because Maund was really doing nothing there. I can understand a couple starts here and there, but he was in the starting eleven nearly every time while putting in ghost-like performances. What I mean by this is Mariner must have rated the guy at least decently, otherwise he wouldn't have gotten the playing time he did.

T-boy
12-03-2012, 04:12 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xk3yk9_braun-hat-trick-eases-chivas-past-houston_sport

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PttO1JYyX18

Some nice finishing there. Seems more of a box finisher than a dynamic player, although that first goal against the Red Bulls is pretty special!

Ultra & Proud
12-03-2012, 04:14 PM
2012 stats. 14 games played, no goals, 1 assist. IIRC he wasn't injured for most of the season. (though I could be wrong)

Hopped around a bit last year and was obviously unsettled. Showed that he can do the job when with Chivas and he's still young. $104k is a bit pricey but we've overpaid for worse before.

Oldtimer
12-03-2012, 04:15 PM

Why do probably most of us have the feeling that "someone" is not Mariner?

:party:

Maybe he can sneak Mariner into one of his trades too.

If he can trade him for Thierry Henry, I will officially nominate Payne for GM genius of all time. :D

moralis
12-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Portland Timbers trades centre back Eric Brunner to Houston for allocation money:

http://www.portlandtimbers.com/news/2012/12/timbers-acquire-allocation-money-houston-exchange-defender-eric-brunner

Looks like Andre Hainault is on his way out of Houston. Hope TFC is paying attention. Hainault is supposed to make $163,125 next season.

Klinsmann
12-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Justin Braun is more than a depth player. He has scored 24 goals and 13 assists in 78 games as a starter in his MLS career, and he's only 25.

Solid trade in my opinion.

Isn't Braun the guy that Preki discovered in an amateur league?

ArmenJBX
12-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Indeed he was.

"When I was about 15 or 16, I was at a tryout. A coach told me to always play your best because you never know who's watching. That advice played into me becoming a pro. I didn't go the usual route to MLS. I didn't play Division I college soccer. I played with a men's league I Utah. We went to a tournament at the Home Depot Center. [Chivas USA coach] Preki was there looking at another player. I must have played well that day because he invited me to tryout for Chivas USA. So, you see, you never know who's watching."

gracos
12-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Current Roster

TOR

Quincy Amarikwa

FW

$44,100.00
$44,100.00

POR

Joe Bendik

GK

$44,000.00
$44,000.00

TOR

Justin Braun

FW

$102,000.00

$104.500.00

TOR

Julio Cesar

MF

$252,000.00

$255,750.00

TOR
Terry Dunfield
MF

$86,000.00
$86,000.00

TOR

Richard Eckersley

DF

$210,000.00

$390,000.00

TOR

Logan Emory

DF

$44,000.00
$44,000.00

TOR

Stefan Frei

GK

$120,000.00

$175,000.00

TOR

Torsten Frings*

MF

$2,000,000.00

$2,413,666.67

TOR

Jeremy Hall

DF

$100,000.00

$149,000.00

TOR

Eric Hassli*

FW

$550,000.00

$790,000.00

TOR

Doneil Henry

DF

$44,100.00
$45,100.00

TOR

Danny Koevermans*

FW

$1,150,000.00

$1,563,323.33

TOR

Reggie Lambe

MF

$60,000.00
$62,500.00

TOR

Ashtone Morgan

DF

$44,000.00
$56,000.00

TOR

Darren O'Dea

DF

$330,000.00

$436,250.00

TOR

Joao Plata

??
FW

$50,000.00
$50,000.00

TOR

Quillan Roberts

GK

$33,750.00
$33,750.00

TOR

Luis Silva

MF

$44,000.00
$79,000.00

TOR

Matthew Stinson

MF

$44,000.00
$44,000.00

TOR

Andrew Wiedeman

MF

$80,000.00

$123,000.00

Contracts Released

COL

Eric Avila

MF

$125,000.00

$158,000.00

FA

Adrian Cann

DF

$126,000.00

$134,750.00

FA

Oscar Cordon

MF
$44,000.00
$44,000.00

SJ

Ty Harden

DF
$90,000.00
$98,666.67

FA

Nicholas Lindsay

FW
$44,100.00
$45,100.00

FA

Keith Makubuya

FW
$44,000.00
$44,000.00

RSL

Aaron Maund

DF
$44,000.00
$59,000.00

FA

Dicoy Williams

DF
$52,500.00
$52,500.00

POR

Ryan Johnson

MF

$137,813.00

$137,813.00

POR

Milos Kocic

GK
$44,100.00
$44,100.00

FA

Freddy Hall

GK
$44,004.00
$44,004.00

----------------------------------------------------------------------
$795,517
Justin Braun -$102,000.00
Joe Bendik -$44,000.00
Jeremy Hall - $100,000.00
Andrew Wiedeman - $80,000.00
Julio Cesar - $252,000.00
-------------
Difference $217,517.00
between 2012 and 2013

Over $100,000 player contract
* = Designated Player
Ratings according to FIFA 13

TFCwestcan
12-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Current Roster
TOR Quincy Amarikwa FW $44,100.00 $44,100.00
TOR Eric Avila MF $125,000.00 $158,000.00
RSL Justin Braun FW $102,000.00 $104,500.00
TOR Terry Dunfield MF $86,000.00 $86,000.00
TOR Richard Eckersley DF $210,000.00 $390,000.00
TOR Logan Emory DF $44,000.00 $44,000.00
TOR Stefan Frei GK $120,000.00 $175,000.00
TOR Torsten Frings MF $2,000,000.00 $2,413,666.67(DP)
TOR Jeremy Hall MF $100,000.00 $149,000.00
TOR Freddy Hall GK $44,004.00 $44,000.04
TOR Eric Hassli FW $550,000.00 $790,000.00(DP)
TOR Doneil Henry DF $44,100.00 $45,100.00
TOR Ryan Johnson MF $137,813.00 $137,813.00
TOR Milos Kocic GK $44,100.00 $44,100.00
TOR Danny Koevermans FW $1,150,000.00 $1,563,323.33(DP)
TOR Reggie Lambe MF $60,000.00 $62,500.00
TOR Ashtone Morgan DF $44,000.00 $56,000.00
TOR Darren O'Dea DF $330,000.00 $436,250.00
TOR Joao Plata FW $50,000.00 $50,000.00
TOR Quillan Roberts GK $33,750.00 $33,750.00
TOR Luis Silva MF $44,000.00 $79,000.00
TOR Matthew Stinson MF $44,000.00 $44,000.00
TOR Andrew Weideman FW $80,000.00 $123,000.00

Contracts Released
TOR Adrian Cann DF $126,000.00 $134,750.00
TOR Oscar Cordon MF $44,000.00 $44,000.00
TOR Ty Harden DF $90,000.00 $98,666.67
TOR Nicholas Lindsay FW $44,100.00 $45,100.00
TOR Keith Makubuya FW $44,000.00 $44,000.00
TOR Aaron Maund DF $44,000.00 $59,000.00
TOR Dicoy Williams DF $52,500.00 $52,500.00
$444,600.00
-------------
Difference $342,600.00
between 2012 and 2013

You can see why TFC is in negotiations with Avila.

leafsman
12-03-2012, 05:09 PM
I'd take hainault and release hall, how is he still on the roster?

ag futbol
12-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Somebody will have to send out a search party first. I don't think I've ever seen anybody who plays professional sports put in such a consistently anonymous performance.

Justin Braun is alright. Some depth at striker is much appreciated, rather than throwing our hands up in the air once our injury prone starters go down.

West220Side
12-03-2012, 05:44 PM
There's only a few more players we need to dump before we get to a solid 'core' group of players and in my opinion those players are Jeremy Hall ($120,000), Freddy Hall, and Andrew Weidemann who's generation addidas contract expires (option year).

Once we dump those players we're solid.

Also, nobody go for my throat or anything but... I wouldn't be having Frings or Koevermans in the squad come march... Reasoning behind this is, I think we can find a solid MLS centre midfield general for $250,000 - $300,000 and not be using that DP spot we're using for Frings. Also id dump Koevermans because the 'if' factor of 'if' he's healthy is just to big for me. Id leave those two designated player spots open and see what you can do with them come the summer transfer window sort of like Vancouver did.

ag futbol
12-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Also, nobody go for my throat or anything but... I wouldn't be having Frings or Koevermans in the squad come march... Reasoning behind this is, I think we can find a solid MLS centre midfield general for $250,000 - $300,000 and not be using that DP spot we're using for Frings. Also id dump Koevermans because the 'if' factor of 'if' he's healthy is just to big for me. Id leave those two designated player spots open and see what you can do with them come the summer transfer window sort of like Vancouver did.
I agree with you there, although I am somewhat inclined to keep Koevermans around.

Either way, I'd rather we part with at least one to free up some cap space.

jloome
12-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Can't agree more with that. I noticed the release said Maund is a defender. Did Mariner know that?

Not sure Maund did.

Good signing. Braun is a natural goalscorer who got caught in a numbers crunch at Montreal and Salt Lake. Good backup to the two big guys, will probably see quite a bit of time, but if he doesn't, it's because the two guys better than him are healthy. Smart signing.

Edit: Geez, when was the last time I got to write that?

jloome
12-03-2012, 06:03 PM
There's only a few more players we need to dump before we get to a solid 'core' group of players and in my opinion those players are Jeremy Hall ($120,000), Freddy Hall, and Andrew Weidemann who's generation addidas contract expires (option year).

Once we dump those players we're solid.

I'd agree on Frings but not Koevermans. 1-in-2 strikers are worth their weight in gold, even if you only get 16 games out of them a year -- an eight-goal scorer is still going to be your second or third top scorer in this league. He's too good to cut, especially given his general sturdiness over his career. The cruciate ligament is a big deal, but it's not like he's done it multiple times and once they're repaired these days, guys usually come back ok.

JuliquE
12-03-2012, 06:30 PM
I'd agree on Frings but not Koevermans. 1-in-2 strikers are worth their weight in gold, even if you only get 16 games out of them a year -- an eight-goal scorer is still going to be your second or third top scorer in this league. He's too good to cut, especially given his general sturdiness over his career. The cruciate ligament is a big deal, but it's not like he's done it multiple times and once they're repaired these days, guys usually come back ok.
Co-sign. It's not to say his game was ever about electrifying pace or anything; I reckon he'll come good, just when we usually slump (Summer).

Re: Braun: the more I read of this trade, the more I like it; refreshing.

Yohan
12-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Co-sign. It's not to say his game was ever about electrifying pace or anything; I reckon he'll come good, just when we usually slump (Summer).

Re: Braun: the more I read of this trade, the more I like it; refreshing.

Except both Mtl and RSL supporters are glad to get rid of him...

19Barrett19
12-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Here's the list we got our wishes Weedman hall avila will fo though the process on Dec 7.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/12/03/califf-de-guzman-segares-among-re-entry-process-list

ManUtd4ever
12-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Except both Mtl and RSL supporters are glad to get rid of him...

Braun wasn't given a fair shake in Montreal or Salt Lake City. Who cares what their supporters have to say considering the fact that he was only given a handful of starts by both clubs. His career numbers tell a different story.

PopePouri
12-03-2012, 07:03 PM
That and the 2 hattricks in 2011.

khso11
12-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Here's the list we got our wishes Weedman hall avila will fo though the process on Dec 7.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/12/03/califf-de-guzman-segares-among-re-entry-process-list

idk how the dp thing works, but de guzman back for non-dp status? (if mariner gets fired, since they both hate each other). Return of Marvell Wynne, and acquire Ike Opera?

Richard
12-03-2012, 07:09 PM
idk how the dp thing works, but de guzman back for non-dp status? (if mariner gets fired, since they both hate each other). Return of Marvell Wynne, and acquire Ike Opera?

JDG is going back to Europe. He will make similar money there while being closer to his family, he will take a paycut but i would rather play in Europe than NA for the same money.

19Barrett19
12-03-2012, 07:10 PM
idk how the dp thing works, but de guzman back for non-dp status? Opera?

De Guzman is out of contract hes not going to get DP money from any team in MLS

notthesun
12-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Bringing JDG back would be a colossal mistake for both parties. Time to move on.

We could still possibly sign Avila before Thursday, but I doubt we will.

Interesting names on that list assuming teams don't sign them between now and Thursday.

brad
12-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Why do probably most of us have the feeling that "someone" is not Mariner?

I meant Kreis. He is probably a good depth CB for the price tbh. He was a rookie that was played too often and out of position here.

jloome
12-03-2012, 08:00 PM

Opara would have to re-up for much less; he's like Julius James, a physical product that hasn't shown the intelligence yet at the next level. He's well ahead of both James and Maund in that regard, but he's not looking like an everyday starter yet, and by this point for MLS defenders, that means his prognosis is not good.

[NBF]
12-03-2012, 08:03 PM
I dont recall seeing Justin Braun play but i recall the name. I looked him up online and found this assesment from Kreis and a guy from Prosoccertalk.nbcsports...something. If you ask me though, the trade was a similar to the trade for Weideman, I find this guy to be something similar to Andrea Lombardo and Jarrod Smith. I also find it interesting that this guy was good in a time when MLS defenses were pretty weak. The defenses accross the league improved from 2010 and 2011. Alot of teams in the middle of the table in their conferences improved their defenders and midfielders. So its a lot different competition. I'm not holding my breath on this guy.

Jason Kreis: Justin Braun Is Still Behind Tactically and Technically(Sept. 4/2012)

Mea culpa time for me on Justin Braun. I suppose, anyway.

I wrote a couple of years ago that Braun was a Brian Ching starter kit. He looked like a striker with bags full of potential. He was faster and more athletic than Ching – and obviously younger, too.

He looked to me like a guy who could play as a target and find goal, go bang a little with center backs, fight for second balls and do the little things. And when Bob Bradley called Braun into a January national team camp, I felt a little vindicated.

But Braun is, roughly, the same player then that he was now. He simply hasn’t progressed much.
That helps explain why Chivas USA was willing to let him go at the end of last season. Braun went to Montreal, which made some sense. Impact coach Jesse Marsch had played alongside Braun for two seasons, so he saw something there, too.

So I thought perhaps Braun would regain his feet and potentially rise for the Impact the way I always thought he might for Chivas USA. But two months ago Braun was shipped off to Real Salt Lake for a conditional pick in the 2014 SuperDraft. Considering he hasn’t played much for RSL, that conditional pick probably won’t turn into too much.

So … where are we now? (Besides my mea culpa, that is.) Because it looks like I was wrong. For now, at least.
RSL manager Jason Kreis did offer something of an explanation today. Essentially, he said, Braun got a late start with higher level coaching, so he’s behind on the game’s finer points.

What he told MLSSoccer.com:

He works extremely hard. He fits into our mentality with his character as a person and with his work rate, but tactically and technically he needs improvement.”
We all know about Justin’s history. I don’t think he’s come from the most organized and the highest levels of youth and college soccer. Some of that he still has to learn. To look at him, and to look at his age, I think he is still a younger player than what his age says – if that makes sense. To me, I still look at him as a young player who is finding his way in our system.”

Braun, 25, played at a small junior college in Utah and was 20 years when he was spotted playing on an amateur team and offered a trial with Chivas USA.

I dont know if I would have traded Maund, when my other options are Emory or Henry?

Yohan
12-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Opara would have to re-up for much less; he's like Julius James, a physical product that hasn't shown the intelligence yet at the next level. He's well ahead of both James and Maund in that regard, but he's not looking like an everyday starter yet, and by this point for MLS defenders, that means his prognosis is not good.

that two years being injured really killed his development. I still think he can be a decent MLS player, and he's only 23, age senior NCAA graduates enter MLS

[NBF]
12-03-2012, 08:34 PM

I wanna have my two cents on this list:

----------------------------------Frei---------------------------------
---------------------------------Kocic--------------------------------
Eckersley(I)--------Califf--------------------O'Dea(I)-----------Morgan
Purdy--------------Henry--------------------Emory---------------Ward
-------------------Frings(I)-------------------------------------------
-------------------Joseph---------------------------------------------
Mapp----------------------------------------Silva-----------Johnson(I)
Lambe(I)------------------------------------Tchani-------------Plata(I)
-------------------Hassli(I)-----------------Stinson--------------------
-------------------Barrett---------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------Koevermans(I)----------------
--------------------------------------------Braun---------------------

Provided these players fit under the cap, these would be a my pick ups:

Left Back- Tim Ward
Centre Back- Danny Califf
Right Back- Steve Purdy

DM- Joseph Nane
CM- Tony Tchani
RM/LM- Justin Mapp

ST- Chad Barrett

*Hunter Freeman, I dont know much about him other than the handfull of games for TFC.

Derko
12-03-2012, 08:52 PM
;1545903']I dont recall seeing Justin Braun play but i recall the name. I looked him up online and found this assesment from Kreis and a guy from Prosoccertalk.nbcsports...something. If you ask me though, the trade was a similar to the trade for Weideman, I find this guy to be something similar to Andrea Lombardo and Jarrod Smith. I also find it interesting that this guy was good in a time when MLS defenses were pretty weak. The defenses accross the league improved from 2010 and 2011. Alot of teams in the middle of the table in their conferences improved their defenders and midfielders. So its a lot different competition. I'm not holding my breath on this guy.

I dont know if I would have traded Maund, when my other options are Emory or Henry?

Maund was more like a pylon, but then again pylon's don't pass to the opposing team do they. It will be interesting.

Detroit_TFC
12-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Not sure Braun bring much in the way of additional raw talent but he does have more experience, better option off the bench.

Nerepis
12-03-2012, 09:32 PM

Man, the sheer number of Ex-TFC players on this list...

Alonso
12-03-2012, 09:40 PM

But Thierry Henry loves Matt Stinson...

= Matt Stinson wins.

ryan
12-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Current Roster
TOR Quincy Amarikwa FW $44,100.00 $44,100.00
RSL Justin Braun FW $102,000.00 $104,500.00
TOR Terry Dunfield MF $86,000.00 $86,000.00
TOR Richard Eckersley DF $210,000.00 $390,000.00
TOR Logan Emory DF $44,000.00 $44,000.00
TOR Stefan Frei GK $120,000.00 $175,000.00
TOR Torsten Frings MF $2,000,000.00 $2,413,666.67(DP)
TOR Freddy Hall GK $44,004.00 $44,000.04
TOR Eric Hassli FW $550,000.00 $790,000.00(DP)
TOR Doneil Henry DF $44,100.00 $45,100.00
TOR Ryan Johnson MF $137,813.00 $137,813.00
TOR Milos Kocic GK $44,100.00 $44,100.00
TOR Danny Koevermans FW $1,150,000.00 $1,563,323.33(DP)
TOR Reggie Lambe MF $60,000.00 $62,500.00
TOR Ashtone Morgan DF $44,000.00 $56,000.00
TOR Darren O'Dea DF $330,000.00 $436,250.00
TOR Joao Plata FW $50,000.00 $50,000.00
TOR Quillan Roberts GK $33,750.00 $33,750.00
TOR Luis Silva MF $44,000.00 $79,000.00
TOR Matthew Stinson MF $44,000.00 $44,000.00

Contracts Released
TOR Adrian Cann DF $126,000.00 $134,750.00
TOR Oscar Cordon MF $44,000.00 $44,000.00
TOR Ty Harden DF $90,000.00 $98,666.67
TOR Nicholas Lindsay FW $44,100.00 $45,100.00
TOR Keith Makubuya FW $44,000.00 $44,000.00
TOR Aaron Maund DF $44,000.00 $59,000.00
TOR Dicoy Williams DF $52,500.00 $52,500.00
TOR Andrew Weideman FW $80,000.00 $123,000.00
TOR Eric Avila MF $125,000.00 $158,000.00
TOR Jeremy Hall MF $100,000.00 $149,000.00
$749,600.00
-------------
Difference $647,600.00
between 2012 and 2013

updated
:)

Alonso
12-03-2012, 10:14 PM

I read that article and my tin foil hat lit up like a Christmas tree!

What if Mariner is a genius and played Maund, Freddy and Jeremy Hall, traded De Guzman, and sat Avila, and Silva while presenting the world: Cann as a forward; for a reason?

We have really GREAT draft positions that can really provide us with a lot of options here for 2013.....

GENIUS?!? or.... fluke?

Alonso
12-03-2012, 10:26 PM
;1545903']I dont recall seeing Justin Braun play but i recall the name. I looked him up online and found this assesment from Kreis and a guy from Prosoccertalk.nbcsports...something. If you ask me though, the trade was a similar to the trade for Weideman, I find this guy to be something similar to Andrea Lombardo and Jarrod Smith. I also find it interesting that this guy was good in a time when MLS defenses were pretty weak. The defenses accross the league improved from 2010 and 2011. Alot of teams in the middle of the table in their conferences improved their defenders and midfielders. So its a lot different competition. I'm not holding my breath on this guy.

"But Braun is, roughly, the same player then that he was now. He simply hasn’t progressed much.
That helps explain why Chivas USA was willing to let him go at the end of last season. Braun went to Montreal, which made some sense. Impact coach Jesse Marsch had played alongside Braun for two seasons, so he saw something there, too."

That last part of the article explains a lot for me after watching the Payne interviews. The man believes the big advantage of this league is finding players like this and developing/"teaching" them a la Arena/Schmid.

This is a DYI project with big dividends if it works.

Oldtimer
12-04-2012, 06:45 AM
I read that article and my tin foil hat lit up like a Christmas tree!

What if Mariner is a genius and played Maund, Freddy and Jeremy Hall, traded De Guzman, and sat Avila, and Silva while presenting the world: Cann as a forward; for a reason?

We have really GREAT draft positions that can really provide us with a lot of options here for 2013.....

GENIUS?!? or.... fluke?

You're suggesting that Mariner deliberately tanked the team to get a better allocation and draft-pick position? I don't buy it.

Not a shred of GENIUS to be found, I'm afraid. :D

Morlesio14
12-04-2012, 08:18 AM
He wouldn't have tanked because in this superdraft there isn't one specific standout player in the draft. Crap.... Maybe there is for mariner.......

brad
12-04-2012, 08:36 AM
He wouldn't have tanked because in this superdraft there isn't one specific standout player in the draft. Crap.... Maybe there is for mariner.......

So far Mariner's MO has been MLS rejects. If that pattern continues, this is like Christmas to him.

[NBF]
12-04-2012, 09:14 AM
So far Mariner's MO has been MLS rejects. If that pattern continues, this is like Christmas to him.

L-O-L. So true.

That last part of the article explains a lot for me after watching the Payne interviews. The man believes the big advantage of this league is finding players like this and developing/"teaching" them a la Arena/Schmid.

This is a DYI project with big dividends if it works.

If you watch the home renovation show, "Disaster DIY", you'll find that alot of people think they know how to do something but really they are limited to doing half-ass and hazardous work. During the show the host goes in and teaches the rookie renovator how to do it properly.

So what I'm saying is, do you think Mariner is the right guy to coach this Justin Braun? Mariner is not much different than Preki and Preki somehow got the best of this kid versus weaker defenses, but dont expect this kid to be anything more than an Alan Gordon/Jarrod Smith. I think he brings a little more than Wiedeman which I think is an improvement.

Alonso
12-04-2012, 09:37 AM
;1545967']L-O-L. So true.

If you watch the home renovation show, "Disaster DIY", you'll find that alot of people think they know how to do something but really they are limited to doing half-ass and hazardous work. During the show the host goes in and teaches the rookie renovator how to do it properly.

So what I'm saying is, do you think Mariner is the right guy to coach this Justin Braun? Mariner is not much different than Preki and Preki somehow got the best of this kid versus weaker defenses, but dont expect this kid to be anything more than an Alan Gordon/Jarrod Smith. I think he brings a little more than Wiedeman which I think is an improvement.

If he produces like Alan Gordon on a consistent basis then he'd be well worth the salary in my opinion. Especially if it's clutch goals like Gordon seems to create year in and year out.

I wouldn't expect much more either.

I don't think Mariner is a good teacher, not in the vein that Payne wants which is a guy who's been in the development trenches for 20+ years like Rongen, Schmid, or Arena.

I could see Rongen becoming assistant coach for the team because of this, and also because then we'd have a decent interim replacement for Mariner if the team doesn't start out great. An interim replacement that could possibly blossom into a permanent coaching position if Rongen does well.

reggie
12-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Maund...was another poor pick by the club,they could of had meyer who played in the playoffs for LA.along another guy who they could of drafted,i wont mention his name but he won the MVP in the MLS CUP.
According to MO,(another MO quote)"he is too slow too play in the MLS"

Yohan
12-04-2012, 10:34 AM
Maund...was another poor pick by the club,they could of had meyer who played in the playoffs for LA.along another guy who they could of drafted,i wont mention his name but he won the MVP in the MLS CUP.
According to MO,(another MO quote)"he is too slow too play in the MLS"
Tommy Meyer is terrible. He wouldn't have played if AJ De la Garza was healthy. Meyer also looks good because he has a stud named Gonzalez playing with him

Sam Cronin turned to be quite a good footballer btw. You know, the guy who got picked before Gonzalez by TFC

reggie
12-04-2012, 10:55 AM
yes i did know that...i still rather have meyer then maund,and Gonzalez is 10 times the player Cronin,jus saying bad drafting by TFC..

Yohan
12-04-2012, 10:56 AM
yes i did know that...i still rather have meyer then maund,and Gonzalez is 10 times the player Cronin,jus saying bad drafting by TFC..
hindsight is always nice

gracos
12-04-2012, 11:10 AM
I would like Quillan Roberts to be loaned out during the next season, because with 4 GKs; its highly unlikely he will get any chances to improve, and I would like to see him develop

[NBF]
12-04-2012, 12:48 PM
]If he produces like Alan Gordon on a consistent basis[/B] then he'd be well worth the salary in my opinion. Especially if it's clutch goals like Gordon seems to create year in and year out.

I wouldn't expect much more either.

I don't think Mariner is a good teacher, not in the vein that Payne wants which is a guy who's been in the development trenches for 20+ years like Rongen, Schmid, or Arena.

I could see Rongen becoming assistant coach for the team because of this, and also because then we'd have a decent interim replacement for Mariner if the team doesn't start out great. An interim replacement that could possibly blossom into a permanent coaching position if Rongen does well.

Alan Gordon goals are not clutch. If anything he benefits from everyone else doing all the work. I havent watched all SJE games this year so IDK the specifics of all his goals, but having seen how SJE play, I will assume that Gordon is the guy they bring in with 5 minutes left of regulation to nod the ball in the net. He dont score goals without them being flung from all directions.

ag futbol
12-04-2012, 12:49 PM
hindsight is always nice
That's what we pay our management team to have though. Sure, situations will dictate that there will be less than 100% hit rate, but I get annoyed when everything gets explained away as being logical at the time it was done.

Gonzales for example WAS still highly touted by some people, despite others saying his speed was going to be a limiting factor in his professional career. So it wasn't a widely perceived as a straightforward case, it's just what some pundits were saying while others didn't believe it.

Yohan
12-04-2012, 01:10 PM
;1546030']Alan Gordon goals are not clutch. If anything he benefits from everyone else doing all the work. I havent watched all SJE games this year so IDK the specifics of all his goals, but having seen how SJE play, I will assume that Gordon is the guy they bring in with 5 minutes left of regulation to nod the ball in the net. He dont score goals without them being flung from all directions.

never assume. makes an ass out of u and me

Yohan
12-04-2012, 01:12 PM
That's what we pay our management team to have though. Sure, situations will dictate that there will be less than 100% hit rate, but I get annoyed when everything gets explained away as being logical at the time it was done.

Gonzales for example WAS still highly touted by some people, despite others saying his speed was going to be a limiting factor in his professional career. So it wasn't a widely perceived as a straightforward case, it's just what some pundits were saying while others didn't believe it.
and Sam Cronin was rated as most MLS ready midfielder at the time... 2009 draft class was so deep that it's just matter of whether you get good, or great.

ag futbol
12-04-2012, 01:23 PM
and Sam Cronin was rated as most MLS ready midfielder at the time... 2009 draft class was so deep that it's just matter of whether you get good, or great.
Agreed, in the end not too many hairs can be split over taking Cronin instead of Gonzales.

O'Brien White on the other hand....

Yohan
12-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Agreed, in the end not too many hairs can be split over taking Cronin instead of Gonzales.

O'Brien White on the other hand....
nobody knew that his career would be cut so short. I feel bad for him. just bad luck

ag futbol
12-04-2012, 04:10 PM
nobody knew that his career would be cut so short. I feel bad for him. just bad luck
He was already coming off pretty serious knee surgery coming into the draft. Not only that, but he was coming out of UCONN which has this reputation of producing guys who don't really work out at the pro level. They're basically the anti-thesis of Akron or Maryland.

I think that one definitely goes down as a mistake.

Yohan
12-04-2012, 04:24 PM
He was already coming off pretty serious knee surgery coming into the draft. Not only that, but he was coming out of UCONN which has this reputation of producing guys who don't really work out at the pro level. They're basically the anti-thesis of Akron or Maryland.

I think that one definitely goes down as a mistake.
I dunno. UConn seems average. It did produce FC Dallas legend Bobby Rhine. Colorado's Tony Cascio looks to be potential USMNT player. Julius James is a decent depth player in MLS. Kwame Watson-Siriboe is pretty highly rated by RSL.

Toronto
12-04-2012, 06:01 PM
I would like Quillan Roberts to be loaned out during the next season, because with 4 GKs; its highly unlikely he will get any chances to improve, and I would like to see him develop

Who would take him? A PDL team?

Macksam
12-04-2012, 07:24 PM

When you take his injuries out of the equation, White was just not a good player.

brad
12-04-2012, 08:23 PM
White would have gone first if he hadn't done his knee. He was that highly rated.

T-boy
12-05-2012, 12:25 PM
White would have gone first if he hadn't done his knee. He was that highly rated.

I remember too, he WAS that highly rated. MLS teams were foaming at the mouth over White before he got injured. He was being talked about as the next "big thing" striker for the US. It really goes to show how one injury can really change a player completely.

Soccerpro
12-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Decent off season so far. Most supporters would like to see Freddy Hall gone.

Beyond that, having a lot of salary wrapped up in 3 older, recently injured injured players is still tempting disaster for next year.

mcolvy
12-05-2012, 05:30 PM
I think TFC needs to bring in a South American kids.
Im thinking young. Kid who could be brought in just under a youth DP contract. This means we get rid of the deadweight we have.

Dennys Quinonez- Ecuadorian. His rival club is the one Plata was from/ out on loan to. He's small but solid.
Rafael Acosta- Venezuela. He's big.
Alexander Mejia- Colombian

Or how about a nice young CB to grow into our team.

Luis Casanova- Chilean and has been playing pro since before he was 18.

I mean this new young aged DP rule is gold. DP for half as much, and it goes until they are 23! I don't want an 18 year old who can't manage on his own in here, but a 21, 22 year old kid. Lets do it.

Its a win, win.

Here is why:
-Kids get a chance to develop and grow into a focal point on their club. Get to be involved in the play and always be included in the starting 11.
-Provides a better scouting network to get noticed by european clubs. How many big european clubs run their pre-season in north america? All those teams get a viewing of these guys and these young players get a chance to play these big clubs. How exciting! Also, when the big teams come play exhibition games you bet European scouts are watching, whether it be for scouting reports or for them watching a potential transfer target. Whether you like it or not, MLS makes for a great place to get noticed. Also league is marketed hard, easy to find videos, film ect of players.
-Good transition league to learn to live away from home, but are still close enough to fly out (fly in family) for home sick visits. Also the schedule is a lot smaller so young kids are away from home for less time. Spend off season back home with old club.
-Chance to learn the language and live in great cities.
-investment opportunity for teams. Teams/MLS can make money off these players, as their value will go up if successful.

Its so perfect.

Toronto
12-05-2012, 05:35 PM
I think TFC needs to bring in a South American kids.
Im thinking young. Kid who could be brought in just under a youth DP contract. This means we get rid of the deadweight we have.

Dennys Quinonez- Ecuadorian. His rival club is the one Plata was from/ out on loan to. He's small but solid.
Rafael Acosta- Venezuela. He's big.
Alexander Mejia- Colombian

Or how about a nice young CB to grow into our team.

Luis Casanova- Chilean and has been playing pro since before he was 18.

I mean this new young aged DP rule is gold. DP for half as much, and it goes until they are 23! I don't want an 18 year old who can't manage on his own in here, but a 21, 22 year old kid. Lets do it.

Its a win, win.

Here is why:
-Kids get a chance to develop and grow into a focal point on their club. Get to be involved in the play and always be included in the starting 11.
-Provides a better scouting network to get noticed by european clubs. How many big european clubs run their pre-season in north america? All those teams get a viewing of these guys and these young players get a chance to play these big clubs. How exciting! Also, when the big teams come play exhibition games you bet European scouts are watching, whether it be for scouting reports or for them watching a potential transfer target. Whether you like it or not, MLS makes for a great place to get noticed. Also league is marketed hard, easy to find videos, film ect of players.
-Good transition league to learn to live away from home, but are still close enough to fly out (fly in family) for home sick visits. Also the schedule is a lot smaller so young kids are away from home for less time. Spend off season back home with old club.
-Chance to learn the language and live in great cities.
-investment opportunity for teams. Teams/MLS can make money off these players, as their value will go up if successful.

Its so perfect.

After the Argentinian waiter Pablo Vitti played here, I'm off all young South Americans. He was terrible. I'd bring players from South Asia first. There must be some Myranmarians bellhops looking for a paycheck.

DoubleUp
12-05-2012, 06:00 PM
^agreed! If we are goin to bring in south americans they should have experience(journeyman), not kids.

Someone between 27-32.

KGH
12-05-2012, 06:22 PM
^agreed! If we are goin to bring in south americans they should have experience(journeyman), not kids.

Someone between 27-32.

We have 3 DPs under contract already.

DoubleUp
12-05-2012, 07:15 PM
We have 3 DPs under contract already.

It doesnt take dp money to bring one from a lower team in the premier or top in segunda.

If we drop frings salary we could afford two.

Macksam
12-05-2012, 07:55 PM
It doesnt take dp money to bring one from a lower team in the premier or top in segunda.

If we drop frings salary we could afford two.

Should we bring back Martin Šarić? g:D

DoubleUp
12-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Should we bring back Martin Šarić? g:D

same hustle! but more technique.

sashavukelich
12-05-2012, 10:03 PM
same hustle! but more technique.

lol, and hopefully with less of a criminal record.

Detroit_TFC
12-06-2012, 08:59 AM
If we are looking at South Americans, I hope they are properly scouted and vetted. The fiasco from last year has made me nervous about these prospects who freak out when they finally realize what they are getting into.

ryan
12-06-2012, 09:15 AM
After the Argentinian waiter Pablo Vitti played here, I'm off all young South Americans. He was terrible. I'd bring players from South Asia first. There must be some Myranmarians bellhops looking for a paycheck.

So cause one player from Argentina didn't pan out, years ago, we should avoid the whole continent?

wat.

Yohan
12-06-2012, 10:19 AM
So cause one player from Argentina didn't pan out, years ago, we should avoid the whole continent?

wat.
2 argies... plus 1 Chilean and 1 equadorian ;)

Mr. Bigby
12-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Based on past experience, we should avoid South Americans.

Of course, based on past experience, we should avoid Africans, Italians, Germans, Dutch, Eastern Europeans, Brits, Scots, Canadians and Americans. In fact, based on results, we've had crap players from almost everywhere. We haven't tried Latvians yet, I think, so maybe there's still hope for the future...:)

Ultra & Proud
12-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Problem with this young DP thing and from these players being from South America is that it's a massive risk. A young player may never develop here or he may waste the length of his contract developing and then move on thus equaling us wasting a DP spot for X amount of years. Some from SA may not like the style of play and be unable to adapt to it, not too mention the dodgy weather and travel issues. Also young kids form this part of the world always seem to get 'home sick'. Happens a lot. I wouldn't want us risking DP spots on that. If we did the young player DP thing I'd rather it be a player from a league where the play and climate are similar and where the player has legit first team experience against players of a known quality.

Ultra & Proud
12-06-2012, 10:46 AM
We haven't tried Latvians yet, I think, so maybe there's still hope for the future...:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raivis_Hščanovičs

Yohan
12-06-2012, 10:49 AM

Of course, based on past experience, we should avoid Africans, Italians, Germans, Dutch, Eastern Europeans, Brits, Scots, Canadians and Americans. In fact, based on results, we've had crap players from almost everywhere. We haven't tried Latvians yet, I think, so maybe there's still hope for the future...:)
Raivis Hscanovics is Latvian ;)

Jpexxx
12-06-2012, 11:42 AM

Your forgetting a special player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raivis_Hščanovičs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raivis_Hščanovičs)

Edit: clearly missed the boat on the correction.

Auzzy
12-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Clearly it's time for some Lithuanians & Estonians.

Detroit_TFC
12-06-2012, 12:28 PM

Ok, well played, sir.

Yohan
12-06-2012, 12:45 PM
seems TFC was 'very close' to signing Carlos Bocanegra last summer before it fell through

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/12/bocanega-close-to-returning-from-hamstring-injury.html

tfcleeds
12-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Bocanegra and Mellberg, eh? Oh, what could have been.

Ajax TFC
12-06-2012, 01:19 PM
could have been one fucking expensive back line

Red I
12-06-2012, 01:41 PM
could have been one fucking expensive back line

With Cann and Harden not playing, it already was an expensive back line sitting on the bench...

Don't forget about McKenna! I heard he was in talks too, and that fell through.

Mr. Bigby
12-06-2012, 02:21 PM
As I mentioned in the seat relocation thread, Kevin Payne and Paul B were at the 12:30 relocation scrum, and Kevin gave an inpromptu talk. Apart from the usual about how happy he and his wife were to be in Toronto, he went on at length about wanting to develop a young, hungry team willing to die for the badge. He said that the days of 35 year old DPs were over, and he mentioned that TFC had completed a trade, but that he couldn't release any details for a couple of days. He and Paul hung around the entire time that I was there, willing to talk to anyone about anything, it seemed. Very refreshing.

flamehawk
12-06-2012, 02:47 PM
As I mentioned in the seat relocation thread, Kevin Payne and Paul B were at the 12:30 relocation scrum, and Kevin gave an inpromptu talk. Apart from the usual about how happy he and his wife were to be in Toronto, he went on at length about wanting to develop a young, hungry team willing to die for the badge. He said that the days of 35 year old DPs were over, and he mentioned that TFC had completed a trade, but that he couldn't release any details for a couple of days. He and Paul hung around the entire time that I was there, willing to talk to anyone about anything, it seemed. Very refreshing.

hmm.. I wonder who it could be. What TFC player has trade value? Silva, Johnson, Kocic, ... Morgan and Henry? Hopefully not any of those.

ag futbol
12-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Not to jump the gun, but could this be the other half of the trade?

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/12/red-bulls-re-sign-letoux-ahead-of-likely-trade.html

ManUtd4ever
12-06-2012, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the scoop. I wonder if it's a significant trade...

ManUtd4ever
12-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Not to jump the gun, but could this be the other half of the trade?

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/12/red-bulls-re-sign-letoux-ahead-of-likely-trade.html

Good find. I would welcome LeToux at TFC, as long as the asking price is reasonable.

moralis
12-06-2012, 03:03 PM
It could be Ryan Johnson being dealt, but I think it will be allocation money for a player.

gracos
12-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Le Toux and Hassli = Vancouver East??

Auzzy
12-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Le Toux and Hassli = Vancouver East??

Or France West?

gdg_9
12-06-2012, 03:17 PM

Could they be waiting until after Round 1 of the re-entry draft to announce it?

If a player doesn't get selected in Round 1, does team owning his rights have exclusivity to negotiate a new (cheaper) contract before Round 2 the next week?

(Still trying to wrap my head around how this whole re-entry process works)

OR... Le Toux? Rights to Hainault?

flamehawk
12-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Do we really need a striker considering we have just signed Braun? Unless this is a sign that Koevermans is gone - which will be a real shame.

gracos
12-06-2012, 04:35 PM
It looks like Le Toux wont be on his way up to Toronto, NYRB and PUFC have reached an agreement

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/12/letoux-returning-to-union-after-philly-and-rbny-complete-trade.html#more-20971
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/12/06/red-bulls-trade-le-toux-back-philadephia-martinez (http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/12/letoux-returning-to-union-after-philly-and-rbny-complete-trade.html#more-20971)

jloome
12-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Or France West?

The Western Front

AlanO
12-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Or France West?
The Maginot Line?

moralis
12-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Looks like TFC are shopping Ryan John to MLS teams:

MLS Transfers ‏@MLSTransfers
Rumor: Toronto actively shopping Ryan Johnson #TFC #MLStransfers

https://twitter.com/MLSTransfers/status/276827205991006209

Could it be that deal that Kevin Payne said earlier today to TFC season ticket holders at the relocation event

flamehawk
12-06-2012, 07:12 PM

Could it be that deal that Kevin Payne said earlier today to TFC season ticket holders at the relocation event

That's a real shame. Ryan Johnson has always been one of my favourite players. He was always candid and seemed to really give a shit about the club.

SamK
12-06-2012, 07:23 PM

Its odd, I spoke with him at the end of year party and when I asked where he thought he'd be next year he said most likely England.
I thought it was funny, I've never been a fan of his but he was completely serious.

ag futbol
12-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Ryan Johnson is just the square peg in the round hole. The guy has great intensity and battles hard, but I just don't see him as being effective in any spot but as a FW in the 4-3-3.

It's too bad because he clearly has talent, it's just nobody can consistently unlock it. He'll probably end up being another Herculez Gomez, who never finds his groove in MLS but does incredible somewhere else.

SKB
12-06-2012, 09:31 PM
I got to chat with Kevin Payne for about 10 minutes or so. Very open and straightforward in his approach and has a well defined plan. It's early but I feel the hiring of Payne was a good move by the club.

Morlesio14
12-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Any deets willing to share????

Soccerpro
12-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Ryan Johnson clearly wasn't happy this past year.

SirBobSaget
12-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Who is in charge of the roster now, Payne or Mariner?

CommradePolski
12-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Payne

SirBobSaget
12-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Payne

Good

ArmenJBX
12-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Payne

Good

uDOo6PUQ2KM

Alonso
12-07-2012, 04:17 PM
seems TFC was 'very close' to signing Carlos Bocanegra last summer before it fell through

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/12/bocanega-close-to-returning-from-hamstring-injury.html

Damn that would have been sweet.

Abou Sky
12-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Hey all, my apathy is starting to wear off, being replaced with a tiny bit of optimism...

That said, what the heck is going on? I guess we are 'building a new team' yet again. Guess there is no choice on that one anyway.

Do you think MLSE has given a green light to spend whatever money TFC wants to terminate contracts and pay way up for DP slots?

TFCAURORA
12-07-2012, 09:31 PM

During the relocation event, i went to check out the TFC change room. I saw the lockers and noticed where everyone sat in the change room. there were names on all the lockers and noticed that some did not have any names on them. the missing names were avila, wiedaman, cann, the players that TFC did not option their contracts and that we know are in the re-entry draft. THere was one name that was also missing that i found interesting, JOHNSON was missing. Could he be involved in the trade Payne was talking about or am i just reading too much into it?

Alonso
12-07-2012, 10:40 PM
During the relocation event, i went to check out the TFC change room. I saw the lockers and noticed where everyone sat in the change room. there were names on all the lockers and noticed that some did not have any names on them. the missing names were avila, wiedaman, cann, the players that TFC did not option their contracts and that we know are in the re-entry draft. THere was one name that was also missing that i found interesting, JOHNSON was missing. Could he be involved in the trade Payne was talking about or am i just reading too much into it?

You're probably dead on here.

Looks like Johnson is gone.

Morlesio14
12-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Do you think we'd try to get a good CB for him? What do you think we could get in return?

SKB
12-08-2012, 03:28 PM
I was talking to a TFC individual and he said there would be some surprises in the trade. You have to give something to get something. So I believe Johnson is part of the trade.

GhostKiller
12-08-2012, 04:24 PM
I took a peek inside Danny's locker. Still has a lot of his shit in it like shorts and jerseys.

ManUtd4ever
12-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Wasn't the trade supposed to be announced by now?

It sounds like a fairly significant deal if it involves RJ, and I'm curious as to what the return is...

Morlesio14
12-09-2012, 10:09 AM
He could be heading to Seattle. I think Seattle is pretty cash strapped. So we could be getting a surprise for the holidays

19Barrett19
12-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Duane Rollins ‏@24thminute (https://twitter.com/24thminute)
Payne said that the trade was done, but was waiting for league approval. Suggested it might be for younger players. #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) # MLS

Based on what Kevin Payne told #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)'s longest serving season ticket holders Thursday, there is a good chance we'll see a trade tomorrow1/2

I really think that Payne is trading Ryan Johnson Milos Kocic and something else rumor has it it might be portland or seatle. what do you guys think? an announcement tomorrow that we got Alonso form seattle or Andrew Jean-Baptiste from Portland.

Morlesio14
12-09-2012, 06:40 PM
I'd rather Alonso but both are good.

19Barrett19
12-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Now since Seattle are planning on bringing Verdu Alonso's days could be numbered
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Verd%C3%BA

Rumour: Joan Verdú of Espanyol to Seattle -http://www.marca.com/2012/12/07/futbol/futbol_internacional/estados_unidos/1354909397.html … (http://t.co/pqlpSPWv) #SSFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23SSFC&src=hash) #MLS (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLS&src=hash)

19Barrett19
12-09-2012, 06:48 PM
I'd rather Alonso but both are good.
Frings and Alonso in the middle would be dinamic!

ag futbol
12-09-2012, 07:02 PM
If u believe wiki Verdu is AM, Alonso is very much DM. We can dream, but I have a very hard time believing he'd be tradable in MLS.

For someone who shores up your midfield THAT much, it'd take a ton of assets (not sure we have them). Also think that Johnson is more interesting to a team playing 4-3-3... So if it's coming from pacific north west, I'd bet it'd be Portland

19Barrett19
12-09-2012, 07:48 PM
If u believe wiki Verdu is AM, Alonso is very much DM. We can dream, but I have a very hard time believing he'd be tradable in MLS.

For someone who shores up your midfield THAT much, it'd take a ton of assets (not sure we have them). Also think that Johnson is more interesting to a team playing 4-3-3... So if it's coming from pacific north west, I'd bet it'd be Portland

makes sense but Verdu is a CM and an AM he actually plays both really well Alonso is obviously a dream but you never know this is the MLS

Morlesio14
12-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Who do you think we could get from Portland for RJ9 and Kocic

19Barrett19
12-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Who do you think we could get from Portland for RJ9 and Kocic

Nagbe or Mwanga maybe both i have no idea one of those males sense considering the rumor is we are getting younger

19Barrett19
12-09-2012, 08:28 PM
I just had a thought!

RJ9 kocic and the first overall pick for Mwanga Nagbe and portlands 3rd overall pick that sounds like a good trade for both sides

Yohan
12-09-2012, 09:28 PM
I just had a thought!

RJ9 kocic and the first overall pick for Mwanga Nagbe and portlands 3rd overall pick that sounds like a good trade for both sides
I would be very disappointed with Mwanga. High salary and not enough production. He's been a bust so far, and seen nothing that says he can be a starter in MLS. Portland would be nuts to give up Nagbe. They rate him very highly

ArmenJBX
12-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Darlington Nagbe is a DP though, no?

AdamAM
12-09-2012, 10:43 PM
He makes 90k according to Wikipedia so I'm guessing hes not a DP

Yohan
12-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Darlington Nagbe is a DP though, no?

Nagbe is not. Diego Chara is

Yohan
12-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Frings and Alonso in the middle would be dinamic!
or not. Alonso is a DM. So is Frings.

ArmenJBX
12-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Nagbe is not. Diego Chara is

Ah, yes, you're right!

Morlesio14
12-09-2012, 11:09 PM
I wouldn't mind getting Alonso it's just Frings is a DP and I wouldn't want to sit a player with a DP salary.

maxpower
12-10-2012, 12:35 AM
Basically what I've seen on this subject is that we're trading Johnson and/or Kocic to portland for allocation money and a possible youth player or two, at which point we turn around and sign some Europeons who we have already made offers to but are waiting for this deal to go through.

West220Side
12-10-2012, 12:41 AM
Basically if we've dealt Johnson and/or Kocic for a player like Alonso within the league I could see Frings being bought out and released, no? because Payne revealed to SSH's that he didn't want any 'older dps' I don't think the rumor of Alonso to TFC has any legs but if it does Frings definitely wont be starting the season.

notthesun
12-10-2012, 02:48 AM
or not. Alonso is a DM. So is Frings.

Not like Mariner would mind. Dunfield + Frings or Dunfield + Maund was his center midfield over and over again.

ensco
12-10-2012, 07:48 AM
Now since Seattle are planning on bringing Verdu Alonso's days could be numbered
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Verdú

Rumour: Joan Verdú of Espanyol to Seattle -http://www.marca.com/2012/12/07/futbol/futbol_internacional/estados_unidos/1354909397.html … (http://t.co/pqlpSPWv) #SSFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23SSFC&src=hash) #MLS (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLS&src=hash)

Anybody who follows La Liga knows this rumour is nuts. Verdu would be Marquez/Henry expensive, but puts no fannies in the seats. Verdu is Espanyol's best player and is still in his prime. He is out of contract end of year and probably needs to go elsewhere if Espanyol goes down. But elsewhere is someplace like Valencia or Schalke, not MLS.

Canary10
12-10-2012, 10:05 AM
So apparently a trade is done, and likely to be announced this week. What's the speculation on who is heading out and who's coming in? Ryan Johnson? Milos Kocic?

Ultra & Proud
12-10-2012, 03:49 PM
So apparently a trade is done, and likely to be announced this week. What's the speculation on who is heading out and who's coming in? Ryan Johnson? Milos Kocic?
The longer it takes the more I can see it being RJ & Kocic for a wad of allocation dollars.

gracos
12-10-2012, 03:54 PM
I hope Payne hasnt lied to us fans already about a trade completion wont look good, on our new growth

Morlesio14
12-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Heard a rumour that it's Johnson, Kocic to Portland for GK Joe Bendik and allocation money
this would free up 2 international spots for TFC and a lot of cash.

T-boy
12-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Heard a rumour that it's Johnson, Kocic to Portland for GK Joe Bendik and allocation money

I'm definitely not sure that it will be a GK in return. Why do we need 4 goally's?! I can see RJ and Kocic going, but not for a goally!

Yohan
12-10-2012, 06:08 PM
RJ does not take up int spot

Morlesio14
12-10-2012, 06:18 PM
RJ does not take up int spot

My bad.

Morlesio14
12-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Anyways, who are some of the options for the allocation money?

TFC07
12-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Kocic takes up an international spot? Why we get a goalkeeper in return unless we are getting rid of Hall or Roberts?

Morlesio14
12-10-2012, 06:52 PM
I don't think that the trade involves a keeper coming back to TFC. The rumour might be wrong. This trade is about the money we are getting not the goalkeeper.

[NBF]
12-10-2012, 10:45 PM
The roster is looking a bit ugly regardless if TFC parts with the geriatrics: Koevermans, Frings, and Dunfield.

4-4-2:

-------------------Frei------------------
-----------------------------------------
Eckersley(I)---X------O'Dea(I)--Morgan
----------------------------------------
---------------X----------X------------
Lambe(I)---------------------------X--
--------------Silva----------------------
----------------------Hassli(I)---------

X: It would be nice to fill out the remainder of the roster with Collin Clark(LW), Blair Gavin(MC), Khari Stephenson(MC), and Andre Hainault(DC). Maybe Justin Mapp for good measure on the left wing.

Soccerpro
12-11-2012, 12:00 AM
;1547043']The roster is looking a bit ugly regardless if TFC parts with the geriatrics: Koevermans, Frings, and Dunfield.

4-4-2:

-------------------Frei------------------
-----------------------------------------
Eckersley(I)---X------O'Dea(I)--Morgan
----------------------------------------
---------------X----------X------------
Lambe(I)---------------------------X--
--------------Silva----------------------
----------------------Hassli(I)---------

X: It would be nice to fill out the remainder of the roster with Collin Clark(LW), Blair Gavin(MC), Khari Stephenson(MC), and Andre Hainault(DC). Maybe Justin Mapp for good measure on the left wing.

Reggie Lambe.......sigh....

Ultra & Proud
12-11-2012, 09:24 AM
;1547043']
It would be nice to fill out the remainder of the roster with Collin Clark(LW), Blair Gavin(MC), Khari Stephenson(MC), and Andre Hainault(DC). Maybe Justin Mapp for good measure on the left wing.

There's a guy there that I hope we've had some contact with over the last few days.

And Dunfield is only 30. Stephenson is older than him.

gdg_9
12-11-2012, 09:37 AM
With a healthy lineup (ie. once/if Koev's is back), this is how I see what we have...

Hassli Koevs
Amarikwa Braun

??? Frings Silva ???
Plata Dunfield ??? Lambe
Stinson

Morgan O'Dea ??? Ecks
??? Henry Emory ???

Frei
Kocic

The way I see it, if we are actually going to be successful, Plata and Lambe cannot be relied upon as full-time starters until they both prove they can play with much more consistency than they've shown so far.
We need to improve on the flanks, especially if the twin towers Hassli and Koevs actually end up playing together up front.
They'll need proper service in.

A guy like Dunfield has great heart and definitely belongs on the team, but should not be relied on as an everyday starter.
Use him coming off the bench when you need some extra grit, start him in CCL games, and use him to give Frings a rest against weaker opponents.

And of course there is still the glaring hole at CB. This is probably the most important area that needs filled ASAP

We also need a secondary attacking CM to play behind Silva, as well as secondary FB options.

So to summarize Payne's off-season shopping list:

Starting CB
Starting LMF
Starting RMF
Secondary ACM
Secondary RFB
Secondary LFB
and probably another Secondary FW as insurance until Koevs gets back.

This is quite the list of needs for one off-season, so we'll see what Payne can do...

(Note: I didn't include Johnson, because judging by the rumours and the fact he no longer has a stall in the BMO dressing room, he won't be back)

Canary10
12-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Anyone think Hassli is part of this trade?

maxpower
12-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Did anyone read the Kurtis Larson article in the sun a two weeks ago? pretty interesting stuff.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/28/tfc-looking-to-make-life-easier-for-designated-players

HA! Payne would like to turn us into a model franchise "again"

But at least he actually seems to realize that this club did a lot for expanding Fan Culture across the MLS and he wants to repay us.

moralis
12-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Partially TFC related, but according to Ecuadorian press reported that Toronto FC were interested in LDU Quito forward Claudio Bieler: Plays with Joao Plata.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudio_Bieler

Fichajes Ecuador ‏@fichajesEC
RUMOR: Claudio Bieler, delantero centro. Interesa a Toronto FC de la MLS. Actualmente pertenece a #LDU de Quito #fichajes

https://twitter.com/fichajesEC/status/278625582319808512

However, Bieler is signing with Sporting KC. He can score and with Sporting KC. Man, watch out. Have been following this guy for the past couple of weeks.

https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=Claudio+Bieler&src=typd

It looks like a DP signing. Maybe 1.5 million.

I have a hunch TFC came in, but it was too late and they didn't have the money to sign him. Why TFC did you sign Hasli to a DP contract? WHY?

Would have been a perfect striker to play with Plata and Silva.

Morlesio14
12-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Mabye hassli will be part of a trade.

moralis
12-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Not until Mariner is gone. Mariner really likes Hasli.

Ajax TFC
12-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Mariner is not above the interests of the club. Who he likes does not matter

moralis
12-11-2012, 07:28 PM
I agree. I would like to see Mariner fired. In addition have all three DP's available. 2 DP's in their mid 30's and one in his early 30's. Only player I would like to see TFC get in their 30's is KAKA (he's 30). Watched him play live in the TFC-Real Madrid game. What a at player. We need young DP's and they cost half of what a normal DP is.

ag futbol
12-11-2012, 07:44 PM
I agree. I would like to see Mariner fired. In addition have all three DP's available. 2 DP's in their mid 30's and one in his early 30's. Only player I would like to see TFC get in their 30's is KAKA (he's 30). Watched him play live in the TFC-Real Madrid game. What a at player. We need young DP's and they cost half of what a normal DP is.
I'd like to see us identify regular roster talent first. Maybe one DP to start, but otherwise I'd just like to see us add as many regular pieces as possible. If we get lucky, maybe one of those out-performs and we've already found our DP without having to go far or tie up huge resources at the start.

Soccerpro
12-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Benny Feilhaber just got dealt to Sporting KC for a 1st round pick, 2nd round pick and allocation money. TFC have wasted draft picks on a lot worse!!! (1st rounder for Sturgis, 1st rounder for Hassli)

TFC07
12-11-2012, 11:23 PM
So what happen to TFC's "big" trade that suppose to happen this week? lol Hopefully we hear something tomorrow from TFC.

gracos
12-11-2012, 11:53 PM
So what happen to TFC's "big" trade that suppose to happen this week? lol Hopefully we hear something tomorrow from TFC.

I am afraid of the possible trade falling through and Payne was hopeful it would stand, i hope not but you never know

mdc 77
12-12-2012, 07:50 AM
Benny Feilhaber was pretty poor in the time he spent at New England so we'll see how it works out for K.C., maybe not having the pressure of being the main guy will help. New England gets pretty good value considering he wasn't going back there.

Ultra & Proud
12-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Benny Feilhaber just got dealt to Sporting KC for a 1st round pick, 2nd round pick and allocation money. TFC have wasted draft picks on a lot worse!!! (1st rounder for Sturgis, 1st rounder for Hassli)
He isn't worth the 1st round pick at his salary much less the useless 2nd rounder (who cares) and most importantly the allocation since he is on a bloated contract.

Canary10
12-12-2012, 09:58 AM
He isn't worth the 1st round pick at his salary much less the useless 2nd rounder (who cares) and most importantly the allocation since he is on a bloated contract.

Hassli was a better deal for a first rounder imo.

Greatest Ripoff
12-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Hassli was a better deal for a first rounder imo.

Keep in mind that a Toronto first round pick would most likely be in a much higher position than a KC first round pick. Especially when you look at the drop off in talent as you get towards the end of the first round.

Canary10
12-12-2012, 10:15 AM
^ Ha, that is true. Not all first round picks are created equal.

West220Side
12-12-2012, 10:43 AM
I just read a post where somebody mentioned dumping Dunfield? Say what you want about his abilities on the pitch, thats your opinion and to be fair its probably not far off but he was our Most Valuable Player last season, he shows more heart then any other player out there, and near the end of the season showed leadership abilities.

Say whatever you want about him, and yes he may be low in trade value but he's good for morale, as much as he's been described as a 'Mariner' boy I don't see him only playing for one coach, seems like the kind of guy who plays for the badge, not a person. He plays for himself and the fans.

I personally wouldn't pay back all his had work by throwing him over board.

The only player with no value, and no use that is still on our roster is Mr. Freddy Hall. He's a fourth keeper of and while Stefan Frei has been named #1 for next season, and Milos Kocic hasn't been traded YET why would we need him? I think this is a popular opinion, no?

Then the unpopular opinion that I get behind, I don't want Frings here come next season taking up a designated player slot and $$$. Also, I want Koevermans here, when he's on form he's deadly, but he's no longer worth his designated player spot. I think those are most wisely saved for the summer transfer window.

Yohan
12-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Nik ledgerwood linked to tfc. For cheap utility guy i would mind

Detroit_TFC
12-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Seems like a good pickup but Hammarby wants a €300K transfer fee? Ehh, no.

brad
12-12-2012, 12:06 PM

Milan have one of, if not the best medical facilities in all of sport, and the reason they did an about face an sold him to Madrid is they decided he was too injury prone and wanted to cash in on him while they could. I think he would be a disaster for an MLS team in that he will be injured a lot. You can't tie up that much cap space in an injury prone player IMHO

I'd like to see us identify regular roster talent first. Maybe one DP to start, but otherwise I'd just like to see us add as many regular pieces as possible. If we get lucky, maybe one of those out-performs and we've already found our DP without having to go far or tie up huge resources at the start.

Exactly. One DP tops, I'd be happy with none. Build a solid team, then use DP's to push you over the edge. Don't build around multiple DP's. Payne has said this is philosophy as well. Many around here have said this for a long time.

ryan
12-12-2012, 12:06 PM
nik ledgerwood would be a huge upgrade over dunfield. the rare time he started CDM for Canada he actually looked quite well. dumbass hart always put him RB where he always struggled and thus became a player viewed negatively by CMNT watchers.

not sure i'd pay the 300K, but he'd be a decent player to have.

ag futbol
12-12-2012, 12:08 PM
^ exactly my thoughts. Very nice Swiss Army knife, but what about the price?

SirBobSaget
12-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Should have picked him up for free last July.

Either Nik wasn't ready to leave Europe yet or the TFC braintrust didn't value him then.

Wonder if he was one Mariner's Sweden vacation targets? The one where Paul was shocked to find out clubs expected transfer fees for useful players under contract.

gdg_9
12-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Ledgerwood could be a quality addition (assuming they are able to negotiate the 300k transfer price down to something more reasonable),
but if both Frings and Dunfield are returning he seems kind of redundant for TFC.

Yohan
12-12-2012, 12:23 PM
I would pay zero transfer fee. Allocation money can be better used. Ledgerwood is a want, not a need

reggie
12-12-2012, 12:28 PM
i agree..i would not pay a penny for him,i dont rate him that high..

golaso.gol
12-12-2012, 12:49 PM
$300k is ridiculous, in fact any transfer fee is ridiculous. The player is free next season- no sound organization would pay a fee in this situation. He's only been at club for a few months and is probably making 3-4k a month. If he comes to MLS he would get the just over the minimum here too. Not worth it

Whoop
12-12-2012, 01:20 PM
As per Ives, TFC trades Johnson and Kocic for the 3rd overall pick in the MLS draft.

Detroit_TFC
12-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Cool with Johnson going. Not cool with Kocic going.

Waggy
12-12-2012, 01:24 PM
I'm at work and can't research atm, how much cap room does this open up for us? Johnson counts as a domestic right? Kocic is international though? Or did he get a green card?

Waggy
12-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Unless we make some awesome deal, I'd prefer us to actually, you know, use our draft picks properly for once? If we have 1 and 3, we can get some quality cheap players. That's HUGE in MLS

Soccerpro
12-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Glad Johnson is gone, he clearly didn't want to be here. Kocic is better than Freddy Hall, but Mariner seems to love his Bermuda boys...

notthesun
12-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Cool with Johnson going. Not cool with Kocic going.

I'm cool with it. We were paying him peanuts to shoulder the load and then Mariner rewarded him with a benching. In my opinion he's good enough to be a starter in the MLS and I think he deserves a chance somewhere else. I wish him well.

Detroit_TFC
12-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Word is that our #1 draft pick slot is still being shopped around. Maybe getting #3 clears the way to cash that #1 slot.

SirBobSaget
12-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Frees up 2 international spots + something like 180k in cap room (Johnson 130, Kocic 50 ???).

Hopefully can pick up 2 promising GA & domestic players with the #1 and #3 picks. GA status is huge, without the designation the same quality players (e.g. a Silva) hits the cap at 70k.

So mathwise this deal can be loked at as a 180k + 70k = 250k cap swing.

Detroit_TFC
12-12-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm cool with it. We were paying him peanuts to shoulder the load and then Mariner rewarded him with a benching. In my opinion he's good enough to be a starter in the MLS and I think he deserves a chance somewhere else. I wish him well.

Kocic > Donovan Ricketts. Not sure Porter will recognize that immediately but he'll be Portland's #1 GK by June.

reggie
12-12-2012, 01:34 PM
i dont mind R J going,hate to see KOCIC go,class act.

Yohan
12-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Kocic > Donovan Ricketts. Not sure Porter will recognize that immediately but he'll be Portland's #1 GK by June.IIRC Troy Perkins was MLS GK of the year. Kocic is in same situation like he was with Frei.

And Johnson is not an international to US teams. he has US citizenship

Auzzy
12-12-2012, 01:36 PM
I don't think either Johnson or Kocic took an international spot anymore. They've been in the US/Canada a long time. (Freddy Hall, on the other hand.)

EDIT: I wonder if Kocic will pull a Will Hessmer goal on us sometime soon. I never want to wish something bad on TFC, but Kocic would deserve that. Johnson you can pretty well guarantee will score a couple vs. TFC, no use getting worried about that.

notthesun
12-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Makes sense that Payne might deal our #1 pick if he and Mariner's preferred player isn't expected to go in the top two. If it is dealt I'd hope Payne can squeeze some legitimate value out of it.

Not that I'm against simply using both picks either.

Detroit_TFC
12-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Mike Toshack is Portland's GK coach, so he's worked with Milos already. That a big plus for Portland.

Ultra & Proud
12-12-2012, 01:43 PM
I don't think either Johnson or Kocic took an international spot anymore. They've been in the US/Canada a long time. (Freddy Hall, on the other hand.)

EDIT: I wonder if Kocic will pull a Will Hessmer goal on us sometime soon. I never want to wish something bad on TFC, but Kocic would deserve that. Johnson you can pretty well guarantee will score a couple vs. TFC, no use getting worried about that.

Kocic was still using an Int. spot. Johnson wasn't. Pretty sure Hall has a green card as well. Either way, Hall can be easily dumped and replaced.

notthesun
12-12-2012, 01:43 PM
IIRC Troy Perkins was MLS GK of the year. Kocic is in same situation like he was with Frei.

And Johnson is not an international to US teams. he has US citizenship

Perkins was traded to Montreal in August. Ricketts is Portland's only GK considered to be starter quality, and given they just traded for Kocic, I doubt they rate him higher than Milos. Kocic will probably be the starter come next year.

Yohan
12-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Perkins was traded to Montreal in August. Ricketts is Portland's only GK considered to be starter quality, and given they just traded for Kocic, I doubt they rate him higher than Milos. Kocic will probably be the starter come next year.

ah feck. I forgot about that trade. but yeah. Ricketts is old and he really lost a step this season.

Ultra & Proud
12-12-2012, 01:58 PM

Maybe but they have 4 GKs on the books now and 8 forwards, two of whom are DPs. It's all craziness over there.

Ajax TFC
12-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Good trade IMO. Johnson was useless, so to me it's essentially Kocic for third overall pick & cap room. Personally I'd have preferred to trade Frei and give Kocic a raise, but what can you do. I'm pretty happy about this if it gets approved (and there's no reason for it not to be).

If we trade our first overall pick, hopefully it's for something useful + a later first rounder.

mowe
12-12-2012, 02:21 PM
If they don't think there's a sure-fire talent like Wenger/Mattocks at the top it makes sense to drop down to 3 and shop #1. However I would prefer them to keep both picks and take one of the two top CB's and a forward. Considering they would be GA it's really a no-brainer. Top picks pan out more often then not and at this point the focus should be on acquiring as much talent as possible.

Perhaps they already have a CB on the way from Europe and that's why they want to give up their top pick (which according to Ives will likely be a CB). Either way, good to have options.

Yohan
12-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Maybe but they have 4 GKs on the books now and 8 forwards, two of whom are DPs. It's all craziness over there.
Diego Chara is a DM, not a striker

mcolvy
12-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Mariner is an idiot.

Yes frei is qualit, but he'll head across the pond as soon as he can....Frei also is a softy in the air and struggles on set pieces.

Kocic was MLS perfect. Not as good a shot stopper, but a big, imposing keeper who was strong enough to impose his will. He would have been a long term option in net. Mariner didnt want him because he showed disloyalty to the team, a team that had nothing left to play for, when he missed games to be with his sick newborn...

Mariners an idiot. Kocic is character. Ill miss him.

Canary10
12-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Portland will likely run a 4-3-3, which is a better fit for Johnson than our 4-4-2. I'm not a huge fan of Johnson's - he can't finish balls not inside the six yard box (as evidenced from his penalty miss). But he works hard and does chip in enough goals to make him valuable. He'll like being in that system much better I'm sure.

Hate losing Kocic. Quality guy. Hope he gets a raise in Portland ffs.

Ultra & Proud
12-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Diego Chara is a DM, not a striker

Ah, I had that wrong. Still, 8 forwards (forgot Valencia) including an expensive Mwanga and Boyd plus Johnson. Lots of cash being used for only 3 available spots.

Jpexxx
12-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Nothing official from either team that I have seen, however it seems Kocic and Johnson are now on Portland's roster.

http://www.portlandtimbers.com/players

oxygenatedbrain
12-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Remember, on the TFC site, don't just look at the pretty picture; click News