PDA

View Full Version : Kaká eyed to replace Beckham, says Galaxy ownership president

DOMIN8R
12-01-2012, 11:49 AM
I thought that it warranted it's own thread. I didn't see this anywhere else. If it's already up somewhere - please delete thread.

Story Highlights

"We're well aware of Kaká's interest in MLS, and we in turn have made it very clear to him that he's aware of our interest in him," said Tim Leiweke, the president of AEG, which owns the Galaxy. "We have a great relationship with Real Madrid, and just as we worked through a player with them six years ago , I'm absolutely convinced we could find the right deal this time, too."

[B]In 2007, Leiweke stunned many by signing David Beckham to a five-year deal

Read More (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/grant_wahl/11/30/tim-leiweke-galaxy-kaka/index.html#ixzz2DoroMIsO)

ensco
12-01-2012, 12:52 PM
There would be no need for a transfer fee, as Kaka makes $15 million a year, and at that price is "unsellable".

Doesn't make sense to me, unless Madrid agree to pay part (ie most) of his wages.

I can't see the Galaxy paying $30 million for two years for a player that really isn't that interesting from a marketing POV. Plus Beckham, while he was having problems with Capello in 2007, he was still a fixture for a big national team, and was one of the elite players in football when he signed - Kaka isn't either of those things.

From the Madrid POV, it's a subsidized buyout. These deals are tricky, they rarely come off. I wouldn't rush out and buy a Galaxy Kaka jersey.

Macksam
12-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Plus Beckham, while he was having problems with Capello in 2007, he was still a fixture for a big national team, and was one of the elite players in football when he signed - Kaka isn't either of those things.

What? Kaka, even in his current form, is better right now than Beckham ever was. He just needs regular playing time to get back into the swing of things. He's only 30 mind you. If he can stay healthy, which is a concern, he'd bring more playingwise to MLS than Beckham ever did.

Also, if Kaka was English, he'd probably be a regular fixture on that national team.

ensco
12-01-2012, 01:16 PM
^Well, Beckham was never close to the super elite level Kaka achieved at Milan, but that was a long time ago, and Kaka has fallen a long way. Did Kaka fall past Beckham at the same age? I think so. Not getting selected by Brazil for 2 years is pretty damning. (I know he had injuries, but still.) Beckham held his form together pretty nicely, until very recently. He was 34 when he went on loan to Milan, and was an impact player for them. Something Kaka has really never been at Madrid (ex maybe that one Ajax game).

I know Kaka just got called up again, so I guess we'll see if you are right.

If I ran the Galaxy, I wouldn't pay him more than the $6 million Beckham got.

jazzy
12-01-2012, 07:30 PM
think of Beckham without the kick........what else is there?.......Kaka although getting on...has way more abilities....but too expensive!!

boozilla
12-02-2012, 02:11 AM
As long as L.A. can eye Kaka, while we are stuck with scouting Cyprus, North American soccer will remain just "Sports Entertainment"

denime
12-02-2012, 09:45 AM
As long as L.A. can eye Kaka, while we are stuck with scouting Cyprus, North American soccer will remain just "Sports Entertainment"

You forgot Bermuda and Scandinavia. ;)

If LAG want Kaka they will get him,same as Beckham,few Millions $$ in contract and other 20-30 Mil in endorsements,question is,can LAG sell so many KAKA jerseys to recover their $$$?

Macksam
12-02-2012, 01:09 PM
You forgot Bermuda and Scandinavia. ;)

If LAG want Kaka they will get him,same as Beckham,few Millions $$ in contract and other 20-30 Mil in endorsements,question is,can LAG sell so many KAKA jerseys to recover their $$$?

Possibly. I think one huge advantage Kaka has over Beckham is the amount of knowledgable, hard-core American soccer fans, which is a fairly big number that's constantly growing, he can draw. Sure, Beckham brought in the casuals, but Kaka would make the Eurosnobs who stick their noses at MLS finally come around. If the league work this out properly, MLS would overcome yet another hurdle and have an easier time trying to become top ten in the world.

brad
12-02-2012, 02:04 PM
A lot of those "hardcore Euro-snob types" also liked Beckham though. It's generally only the anti-England/Man Utd/Real Madrid crowd that didn't.

The guy came here after playing his entire career for two of the biggest teams in history, and turns down a third that wanted him at the time (Milan).

Kaka would be coming a shadow of the player he was (IMHO), after two years of barley playing. Don't think he would move anywhere bear te number of jerseys.

Also, it was pretty strongly suggested that the reason Milan did a sharp turn and sold him is they knew he was broken.

Ajax TFC
12-02-2012, 02:45 PM
^exactly what I was thinking. If MLS wants Beckham's replacement, than they need someone who IS a star, not someone who WAS a star.

ag futbol
12-02-2012, 03:49 PM
I think it's time for this league to start investing in it's own players more and stop counting so much on someone else's brand. Nothing wrong with stars who made their name somewhere else coming here, but if that's what you always want to be front and center then you'll just be perpetuating homegrown guys as second class citizens. It will also limit the growth of the league because we need better local players to grab the interest of the general public.

The league needs to work to develop better domestics. They need an alternative to NCAA in the 18-23 age bracket and they need the NCAA themselves to clean up their rules and regulations.

Macksam
12-02-2012, 06:05 PM
A lot of those "hardcore Euro-snob types" also liked Beckham though. It's generally only the anti-England/Man Utd/Real Madrid crowd that didn't.

The guy came here after playing his entire career for two of the biggest teams in history, and turns down a third that wanted him at the time (Milan).

Kaka would be coming a shadow of the player he was (IMHO), after two years of barley playing. Don't think he would move anywhere bear te number of jerseys.

Also, it was pretty strongly suggested that the reason Milan did a sharp turn and sold him is they knew he was broken.
lol, which the vast majority of North American hardcore fans are. Most knowledgable soccer fans this side of the pond were indifferent to Beckham coming over.

I think it's time for this league to start investing in it's own players more and stop counting so much on someone else's brand. Nothing wrong with stars who made their name somewhere else coming here, but if that's what you always want to be front and center then you'll just be perpetuating homegrown guys as second class citizens. It will also limit the growth of the league because we need better local players to grab the interest of the general public.

The league needs to work to develop better domestics. They need an alternative to NCAA in the 18-23 age bracket and they need the NCAA themselves to clean up their rules and regulations.
I think the NCAA will continue to be that 18-23 route for the foreseeable future for Americans. Any alternative is going to have to come from our end, maybe in the form of the planned Ontario League 1. Reading over the documents, I'm getting the vibe this league eventually wants a situation where its best players get drafted into the MLS, like how the NASL use to draft guys from the old NSL.

Fort York Redcoat
12-03-2012, 07:38 AM

There's a link between the midseason friendly and the foreign star brand. Once one is abandoned, maybe the other will have less influence and it will be a time for a stronger league.