PDA

View Full Version : If Payne comes, will De Ro follow?

trane
11-27-2012, 06:06 PM
I wonder. :D

TFC07
11-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Oh no, another DeRo thread! I wouldn't be surprised if all Canadian and former TFC players on DC united come back if Payne hires a GM from DC United front office (new ownership bringing their own people means a lot of DC United FO might be let go).

trane
11-27-2012, 06:11 PM
^ I am being a bit cheeky, but the question seriously came to mind, when I turned my mind as to what Payne may do.

Macksam
11-27-2012, 06:27 PM
I hope TFC adopts the DC United red kit, minus the logo ofcourse, as its own. That one is stunning, one of the best in the world. Either that or Bayern Munich's current red kit.

http://www.footballkitnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/New-DC-United-Third-Jersey-2012.jpg
http://img.uksoccershop.com/martinez-bayern-home-shirt-2012-13.jpg

Belfast_Boy
11-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Thanks for my next two stick idea.

BRING BACK DERO !!!

jazzy
11-27-2012, 07:04 PM
I doubt it, he's treated well, paid well there...........AND wasn't Sh&t on like he was here........frankly we blew it.

trane
11-27-2012, 07:26 PM
I am not a fan of red, but that is a sharp looking kit. Black away kits??? That I would like.

Wull
11-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Hopefully not. He can go sign his imaginary pay stubs elsewhere

ArmenJBX
11-27-2012, 07:52 PM
I spoke with someone close to Payne.

He knows Cochrane and Rongen very well - I doubt there will be a restructuring.

FluSH
11-27-2012, 10:12 PM
I for one would love to see DeRo back... There is a bad taste in my mouth from everything that went down. He should have retired his number here... We as fans need to forgive and forget and look at ourselves and admit when we did wrong.

ensco
11-27-2012, 10:16 PM
I'd rather have Jakovic.

Yohan
11-27-2012, 10:20 PM
I'd rather have Jakovic.

overrated. just because he's got ok passing ability compared to most MLS CBs...

Belfast_Boy
11-27-2012, 10:33 PM
I for one would love to see DeRo back... There is a bad taste in my mouth from everything that went down. He should have retired his number here... We as fans need to forgive and forget and look at ourselves and admit when we did wrong.

Amen.
When players remembered to come to the corner...... Especially when it mattered most.
You are right Flush he should have retired here.

Ajax TFC
11-27-2012, 11:44 PM
He didn't sign for Payne, he signed for the team that Payne was president of. To get him, their new president/GM would have to trade him to us, and since the coaching staff will likely remain the same, there's no reason why they would do that. We'd have to give up what few assets we have, and TBH, at his age he's not the #1 asset we should be trying to get.

Cashcleaner
11-28-2012, 12:52 AM

I will always maintain that the day we traded him was the day Toronto FC starting it's downward spiral. It would be awesome to get him back, and with Anselmi out of the picture, I do believe it could happen.

tfcleeds
11-28-2012, 08:04 AM
Just my opinion, but I don't think DeRo would ever come back seeing as several of the individuals who were largely involved with his dissatisfaction/departure are still with the club in some capacity. If Anselmi (and yes, I know he's largely hopefully going to be hands off now, but he's still around) and Cochrane weren't here, maybe it would be possible, but otherwise, I don't see it happening.

[NBF]
11-28-2012, 08:27 AM
I would agree that DeRosario would find it hard to come here with Cochrane and Mariner in management. There's just no incentive, unless its for good money. Then again TFC would likely sit idle if the opportunity came about in order to save face even if he were to go to a Canadian team and TFC had to face him and his team in the Canadian Championship.

As an aside:

Has anyone heard of this guy named "Cleo", half Serbian and Brazillian? Supposedly, a falling out with his team in Gangzhaou Evergrande has him seeking a transfer. Anyone watch him play at Partizan or Red Star prior to joining his Chinese team?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cl%C3%A9o

ensco
11-28-2012, 08:28 AM
I will always maintain that the day we traded him was the day Toronto FC starting it's downward spiral.

It started a long, long time before that.

tfcleeds
11-28-2012, 08:31 AM
^Heard of him, yeah, I seem to recall him having a not too shabby goalscoring record with Partizan.

trane
11-28-2012, 09:55 AM
;1544632']I would agree that DeRosario would find it hard to come here with Cochrane and Mariner in management. There's just no incentive, unless its for good money. Then again TFC would likely sit idle if the opportunity came about in order to save face even if he were to go to a Canadian team and TFC had to face him and his team in the Canadian Championship.

As an aside:

Has anyone heard of this guy named "Cleo", half Serbian and Brazillian? Supposedly, a falling out with his team in Gangzhaou Evergrande has him seeking a transfer. Anyone watch him play at Partizan or Red Star prior to joining his Chinese team?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cléo

I have seen him play, but it is hard to figure out how he would do in this league. He is good. I am not sure that he would come here though.

DangerRed
11-28-2012, 10:07 AM

What? I didn't do anything wrong, so don't have anything to admit. And I don't know about you, but I would certainly call into question the re-signing of an over-the-hill egomaniac who values himself far above the rest of the team.

Yohan
11-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Will DeRo happy with not being the highest paid player on the team? lol

Super
11-28-2012, 10:35 AM
We don't have the money for him. With 3 DP's, I don't see how we can fit another 400k salary under the cap. And that's only IF he'd take less than DP salary.

But would be great!

flamehawk
11-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Oh man, I would love to see him back. Getting rid of him goes down as one of the dumbest decisions made by the club ... and that's a big statement to make considering all of the poor decisions

Brooker
11-28-2012, 11:34 AM
DeRo will go to the highest bidder. Money before anything else.

Also, he's on the downward part of his career. Wouldn't take him for the money he's going to want.

T-boy
11-28-2012, 11:36 AM
DeRo will return. Then TFC will make Dunfield a DP and pay him 10 billion. DeRo will then type imaginary Paypal password after scoring great goal and will leave club. Dunfield will continue to get 10 billion, even though he's now the company tea lady.

Gazza
11-28-2012, 11:40 AM
An MLS legend who wasn't appreciated by fans and ownership? The only good player we've ever really had, and fans turned on him? Ya, i see him coming back.

Hopefully Roogsy comes back too.

Gazza
11-28-2012, 11:43 AM
What? I didn't do anything wrong, so don't have anything to admit. And I don't know about you, but I would certainly call into question the re-signing of an over-the-hill egomaniac who values himself far above the rest of the team.

The Championship teams he was on might have something to say about that. But don't let your preconceived misconceptions about someone you've never met or talked to get in the way of logic.

DangerRed
11-28-2012, 11:58 AM
The Championship teams he was on might have something to say about that. But don't let your preconceived misconceptions about someone you've never met or talked to get in the way of logic.

I've spoken personally with him on several occasions. But don't let your assumptions get in the way of ignoring the issue: he's old, as his lengthy injury highlights, and despite his excellent contributions in the past, signing him would be a bad idea.

jloome
11-28-2012, 12:10 PM
I've spoken personally with him on several occasions. But don't let your assumptions get in the way of ignoring the issue: he's old, as his lengthy injury highlights, and despite his excellent contributions in the past, signing him would be a bad idea.

I agree with everything you say ... and I probably still wouldn't turn him down. Guy is a winner, carries teams to wins. Any time you can get one of those -- and we have one in Koevermans -- you take him.

Tough call though (although not really up to us; I think he'll retire in D.C. He's got a great house there, his kids are settled.)

jloome
11-28-2012, 12:11 PM

You're mad, son. Mad, I tells you.

Oldtimer
11-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Oh no, another DeRo thread!

+10,000

He's gone. Let's accept it, and move on.

Belfast_Boy
11-28-2012, 12:33 PM
An MLS legend who wasn't appreciated by fans and ownership? The only good player we've ever really had, and fans turned on him? Ya, i see him coming back.

I think DeRo would negotiate that in his contract.

it would be awful to have either one back, MVP, Cup winner, guy Henry called the best in MLS, Local, Scarborough (even better), Great supporter, Smart, Funny, committed. you can guess which one is Chris and Dwayne.

Gazza
11-28-2012, 12:33 PM
You're mad, son. Mad, I tells you.

A new DeRo thread got me all nostalgic! I wore my Kevin Harmse jersey to work today!

DangerRed
11-28-2012, 12:39 PM
I agree with everything you say ... and I probably still wouldn't turn him down. Guy is a winner, carries teams to wins. Any time you can get one of those -- and we have one in Koevermans -- you take him.

Tough call though (although not really up to us; I think he'll retire in D.C. He's got a great house there, his kids are settled.)

Valid point on the "X-factor," and he can definitely hoist teams on his back and drag them out of mediocrity. But at what cost, with a salary-capped league? If he's your only goal scorer (as he essentially was during his time here), then you're making one risky bet on him staying healthy.

Conversation is moot, though, because he's not coming back.

tfcleeds
11-28-2012, 01:02 PM
A new DeRo thread got me all nostalgic! I wore my Kevin Harmse jersey to work today!Regrettably, my Adam Braz jersey is at the cleaners...;)

Oldtimer
11-28-2012, 01:04 PM
A new DeRo thread got me all nostalgic! I wore my Kevin Harmse jersey to work today!

Regrettably, my Adam Braz jersey is at the cleaners...http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/images/smilies/wink.png

Speaking of nostalgia, someone mentioned Chris Pozniak the other day! While not a supremely talented player, and nominally a defender, he could play just about any position except striker or GK. The ultimate squad utility player! Maybe we can lure him back from Norway!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ad/Chris-Pozniak-2008-06-23.jpg/220px-Chris-Pozniak-2008-06-23.jpg

Bring back the Poz!!!!!!

CommradePolski
11-28-2012, 01:09 PM
I agree with bringing back the Poz! Mainly because Im Polish, secondly because this squad doesnt have enough Polish content.

tfcleeds
11-28-2012, 01:10 PM
I realize it's important not to get ahead of ourselves regarding the Payne appointment, but it is nice to talk football again. And yeah, it is kind of weird cause I feel all nostalgic all of the sudden - maybe this could really represent TFC 2.0? Here's hoping...

sulfur
11-28-2012, 01:47 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ad/Chris-Pozniak-2008-06-23.jpg/220px-Chris-Pozniak-2008-06-23.jpg

Bring back the Poz!!!!!!

And there's my first shirt. Numbers are peeling badly though, so it doesn't get worn anymore. I still remember having to spell the name out for the jersey peeps at BMO. Nobody had gotten a Poz shirt to that point in time. Soon after, I saw 4-5 others. :)

Derko
11-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Amen.
When players remembered to come to the corner...... Especially when it mattered most.
You are right Flush he should have retired here.

Yes DeRo should have retired here, but WE Did Nothing Wrong, Management did,

Fort York Redcoat
11-28-2012, 02:13 PM
I'd rather have Jakovic.

Agreed. For multiple reasons.

trane
11-28-2012, 03:06 PM
I was neither for or against De Ro. I thought he was underapriciated, and was against how and why he was let go, but at the time, I was of the mind set, that if you needed to rebuild, which we did, nobody was above being traded. Now I think we may need to win sooner rather then later, to get beyond the clubs short but shite history. Even if he came back, and him Koevs and Frings led us to some sucess only to retire it may not be bad. Usually I would be more about a long term rebuild, but the step may be to learn to win.

Ultra & Proud
11-28-2012, 04:09 PM
I'd rather see the kind of money they'd need for DeRo to go to about 3 younger players and add more depth to our squad. Enough of us being spread thin by over spending at certain positions.

Alonso
11-28-2012, 04:11 PM
I think DeRo would negotiate that in his contract.

it would be awful to have either one back, MVP, Cup winner, guy Henry called the best in MLS, Local, Scarborough (even better), Great supporter, Smart, Funny, committed. you can guess which one is Chris and Dwayne.

I think you meant wouldn't

PS. What happened to your RPB membership status? You were a member two weeks ago?

Belfast_Boy
11-28-2012, 04:17 PM
I think you meant wouldn't

PS. What happened to your RPB membership status? You were a member two weeks ago?

i always forget my sarcastic smiley thing.

i asked to have my membership cancelled. I don't want to part of a group right now. i end up expecting everyone to express their passion the same way i do.

ensco
11-28-2012, 04:20 PM
You can't step in the same river twice.

You know what would get my attention? Buying Frings out, and bringing in a younger DP from somewhere in the Americas.

That would take money, imagination and balls.

Belfast_Boy
11-28-2012, 04:33 PM

You know what would get my attention? Buying Frings out, and bringing in a younger DP from somewhere in the Americas.

that's a damn sexy idea. tired of seeing these old DP's get hurt. there's no need.

tfcleeds
11-28-2012, 04:41 PM
There's really not a whole lot of upside to keeping Frings around at this point - I agree, it could be an inspired move.

Belfast_Boy
11-28-2012, 04:43 PM
DC has one DP. Salihi at $487k. he's 28.

mcolvy
11-28-2012, 04:43 PM
I like what has happened. Thank god we have a decent set up.

Payne: president and GM
Cochrane: Assistant GM
Mariner: Head Coach
Rongen: Head of Academy & Technical Director (? Payne said he will now be involved in the first team..)

I wanted someone to ask about de Klerk and if he has a role with the club moving forward.....

Ultra & Proud
11-28-2012, 04:47 PM

Rather buy him out and get 2 solid players instead of a DP. Payne knows the league and the players know Payne. Our ability to attract MLS experienced players just went up big time. You could snag two very good ones for the wage of 1 DP (maybe a tit more) if you browse the free agent list and what they earned last season. That would take money, imagination, balls, and vision.

ensco
11-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Rather buy him out and get 2 solid players instead of a DP. Payne knows the league and the players know Payne. Our ability to attract MLS experienced players just went up big time. You could snag two very good ones for the wage of 1 DP (maybe a tit more) if you browse the free agent list and what they earned last season. That would take money, imagination, balls, and vision.

I'd be good with that.

Oldtimer
11-28-2012, 04:51 PM
I like what has happened. Thank god we have a decent set up.

Payne: president and GM
Cochrane: Player helper
Mariner: Head Coach
Rongen: Head of Academy & Technical Director (? Payne said he will now be involved in the first team..)

I wanted someone to ask about de Klerk and if he has a role with the club moving forward.....

Fixed your post, Cochrane is not an assistant GM.

Shway
11-28-2012, 04:53 PM
I would've loved to see Payne and Winter working together, KP has the Latin America connects that could've conformed to the TF style.

shit.

I just don't want to see Paul the rednosed Mariner

ensco
Fixed your post, Cochrane is ....?.

Fixed your post. g:D

It's the 64K question, for me.

Belfast_Boy
i like the receptionist comment better.

Ultra & Proud
11-28-2012, 05:05 PM
I would've loved to see Payne and Winter working together, KP has the Latin America connects that could've conformed to the TF style.

He probably wouldn't last. Too stubborn and too out of touch with MLS Football. I think Winter is better off where he is now.

Macksam
11-28-2012, 05:15 PM
He probably wouldn't last. Too stubborn and too out of touch with MLS Football. I think Winter is better off where he is now.
Winter would've eventually got it right.

Alonso
11-28-2012, 07:05 PM

My guess is that we'll have two young DP's under the "young DP" rule within 3 years.

Payne mentioned that this is the future of the league in today's press interviews and he obviously now has the resources he didn't have in DC to make this dream come true.

DC can't fork over the several millions that each player would need to be paid. But MLSE can. And the benefit to the team salary cap versus traditional DP's is a huge advantage to have over poorer clubs.

jazzy
11-28-2012, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=Belfast_Boy;1544875]i always forget my sarcastic smiley thing.

i asked to have my membership cancelled. I don't want to part of a group right now. i end up expecting everyone to express their passion the same way i do.[/

QUOTE]

now I'm on a bummer..............you projected an honest enthusiasm simply missing around these parts!............what you have principles now?..lol

ag futbol
11-28-2012, 08:07 PM

Now that Payne is here, I am even more expectant a buyout is coming for one of the DPs.

You look at the amount of player they released and the cap flexibility they claim they have, bit of a bad joke IMO.

Belfast_Boy
11-28-2012, 08:54 PM
[QUOTE=Belfast_Boy;1544875]i always forget my sarcastic smiley thing.

i asked to have my membership cancelled. I don't want to part of a group right now. i end up expecting everyone to express their passion the same way i do.[/

QUOTE]

now I'm on a bummer..............you projected an honest enthusiasm simply missing around these parts!............what you have principles now?..lol

Thanks bro.
I had to do it. The direction of the group was pissing me off and I'm sure my direction was pissing them off. Had to step back so that we all can remain friends.
I have made many friends through the process. I hope we all can continue to work on projects.

jazzy
11-29-2012, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE=jazzy;1544953]

Thanks bro.
I had to do it. The direction of the group was pissing me off and I'm sure my direction was pissing them off. Had to step back so that we all can remain friends.
I have made many friends through the process. I hope we all can continue to work on projects.

priceless..