PDA

View Full Version : TFC Starting Lineup - 2013

ManUtd4ever
11-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Looking ahead to next season, I wanted to gauge the overall talent level of our projected starting lineup, given the fact that our limited cap space and use of the maximum 3 DP slots will likely hinder any significant additions to the roster. In essence, what we see is most likely what we'll get in 2013.

Be that as it may, if TFC is fortunate enough to avoid any long term injuries to key starters next season, I think the projected starting eleven actually seems fairly competitive, and might be strong enough to challenge for a playoff spot...

-------------------Frei--------------------

Eckersley---Califf-----O'Dea----Morgan

------------------Frings------------------

Lambe-----------Silva--------------Plata

-----Koevermans--------Hassli----------

Reserves: Braun, Dunfield, Henry, Stinson, Emory, Hall, Wiedeman, Amarikwa, Bendik

I realize that the stars would have to align in order to ensure that the key players on the roster remain relatively healthy for an entire season and Paul Mariner certainly hasn't done anything to inspire confidence, but invariably, the collective skillset of the players on the pitch should determine the club's path to success or failure to a large extent. Perhaps the cupboard isn't as bare as it seemed at the conclusion of last season.

Thoughts?

cmonyoureds
11-26-2012, 03:12 PM
Frei

Eckersley - Small Tweaks* - O'Dea - Small Tweaks*

Frings

Small Tweaks* - Small Tweaks*

Small Tweaks*

Koevermans - Hassli

* indicates the players that Mariner will bring in to make the play-offs, as he's said he would when he indicated we're only a few "small tweaks" away from making the play-offs.

Upon further reflection I seem to have listed 6 players of MLS calibre as opposed to Mariner's estimation of 3 or 4. Hmmm.........confusing

Yohan
11-26-2012, 03:12 PM
I think too early to speculate... because there will be new signings

TFC07
11-26-2012, 03:40 PM
You forgot to add Mariner's pet (Terry Dunfield) to your starting line up

AdamAM
11-26-2012, 04:09 PM
I posted this exact lineup except in a 442 a while back, and I totally agree that this roster could do some damage. I feel that Johnson should be traded somewhere for a quick pacy LM and once that happens get a couple good players from wherever Mariner is scouting and Wiedeman Amarikwa Dunfield will be reduced to depth players... which they should be in the first place.. and also a quick striker wouldn't hurt ;)

Oldtimer
11-26-2012, 04:34 PM
I realize that the stars would have to align in order to ensure that the key players on the roster remain relatively healthy for an entire season and Paul Mariner certainly hasn't done anything to inspire confidence, but invariably, the collective skillset of the players on the pitch should determine the club's path to success or failure to a large extent. Perhaps the cupboard isn't as bare as it seemed at the conclusion of last season.

Thoughts?

As much as a garbage coach PM is, with all 3 DPs firing on all cylinders and Frei in net, I could indeed see the team making the playoffs, although not advancing that far. Chances of that? Probably less than 30%, but it could happen.

DoubleUp
11-26-2012, 05:31 PM
If Dunfield is a starter next year, we have failed once again.

mcolvy
11-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Why the hell would we bring back Hassli. Having two DPs on your roster that play the same position is soooo ridiculous. You cannot possibly expect Hassli and Koves to work well together up top. Two big boys.....

But I see the simplistic, ancient, pathetic mind set Mariner has in all this. He thinks hell have two big bodies to create matchup nightmares for defences, and that with the two of them we can just hoof balls into the box and pull some san jose %^$#... But soooo far from the truth. San Jose had a dominate defensive line and also had a magic man Wondo who added so much up front, AND also Hassli is no where near the force that johnson is in the air. Our team will not be any more aerial dominate then when we had johnson and koevs together up front, and that didnt work out that well......

So sad... he's just trying to get big bodies to throw around some weight... I don't want to see this house league crap. This is the same thing that dad, who actually just grew up playing hockey but decided to coach soccer anyways, does when the lime green team got thrown together. I hate the lime green team. Putting two big guys up the field and kicking the ball to him isn't that intelligent Mariner.......

Heres what you do. Bring in Le Toux. Cheap. let him roam free as a second striker. He has proven he scores goals in this league. Grab a young south american to rule the midfield under that new youth dp rule for half the sum, and use the MLS as a stoping ground for him to get noticed, as well as a solid investment with plans to sell in the future. So, then silva can come off the bench like he should. His work rate is terrible. He's too one dimensional and when he is basically guaranteed a spot after one year, theres no reason for him to improve. Get a real left winger. Get a real right winger.

Were so fu$ked......

Yohan
11-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Hassli and Koevemans actually play two different style. Koevermans is a pure poacher who scores inside the 6 yd box, while Hassli is more of a deep lying striker capable of linking up with midfield from just outside the box. Hassli has a soft first touch and has good long range shot. The problem with Koevermans/Hassli combo is lack of pace, but if TFC finds some speedy wingers on flanks, this might actually work.

[NBF]
11-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Hassli and Koevemans actually play two different style. Koevermans is a pure poacher who scores inside the 6 yd box, while Hassli is more of a deep lying striker capable of linking up with midfield from just outside the box. Hassli has a soft first touch and has good long range shot. The problem with Koevermans/Hassli combo is lack of pace, but if TFC finds some speedy wingers on flanks, this might actually work.

Koevermans and Hassli are going to struggle to score goals. I have a feeling some people will visit optometrist complaining of double EMILE HESKEY vision. Frings, is a sad situation, I feel he had been a very good professional throughout his time with TFC and he doesnt need to be used as a tool to sell tickets. IMO, we dont see him in the lineup in spring.

------------|^|----|^|--------------------
Eckersley---Henry--|^|---O'Dea-----Morgan
------------|^|----|^|----|^|------------
------------|^|---Frings---|^|-----------
------------|^|----|^|----|^|-----------
Lambe------|^|----|^|----|^|----Johnson
------------|^|------------|^|-----------
-----------/^/-----Silva----\^\----------
------------------------------------------
-------Koevermans---------Hassli----------

UNLEASH THE FLOOD GATES!!!!

ManUTD4EVER: I dont think that formation worked in 2012 season or will work in 2013, it didnt work before and so why would it work now. Kinda like the dumb idea to use a combination of Frings and Dunfield or DeGuzman in a 4-2-3-1 as central midfielders.

[NBF]
11-26-2012, 07:58 PM
Why the hell would we bring back Hassli. Having two DPs on your roster that play the same position is soooo ridiculous. You cannot possibly expect Hassli and Koves to work well together up top. Two big boys.....

But I see the simplistic, ancient, pathetic mind set Mariner has in all this. He thinks hell have two big bodies to create matchup nightmares for defences, and that with the two of them we can just hoof balls into the box and pull some san jose %^$#... But soooo far from the truth. San Jose had a dominate defensive line and also had a magic man Wondo who added so much up front, AND also Hassli is no where near the force that johnson is in the air. Our team will not be any more aerial dominate then when we had johnson and koevs together up front, and that didnt work out that well......

So sad... he's just trying to get big bodies to throw around some weight... I don't want to see this house league crap. This is the same thing that dad, who actually just grew up playing hockey but decided to coach soccer anyways, does when the lime green team got thrown together. I hate the lime green team. Putting two big guys up the field and kicking the ball to him isn't that intelligent Mariner.......

Heres what you do. Bring in Le Toux. Cheap. let him roam free as a second striker. He has proven he scores goals in this league. Grab a young south american to rule the midfield under that new youth dp rule for half the sum, and use the MLS as a stoping ground for him to get noticed, as well as a solid investment with plans to sell in the future. So, then silva can come off the bench like he should. His work rate is terrible. He's too one dimensional and when he is basically guaranteed a spot after one year, theres no reason for him to improve. Get a real left winger. Get a real right winger.

Were so fu$ked......

I agree, but I think the direction that Mariner wants to take this team is exactly what you said but he will have Johnson on the left wing and Luis Silva on the right wing. For that to be successful he will need to get some pacy central midfielders and good centre back to pair with O'Dea.

----------------------------Frei-------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
Eckersley--------NEW CB----------O'Dea---------Morgan
-----------------NEW CM---------NEW CM--------------
Silva--------------------------------------------Johnson
-----------------Hassli-----------Koevermans------------

ag futbol
11-26-2012, 08:57 PM
;1544217']I agree, but I think the direction that Mariner wants to take this team is exactly what you said but he will have Johnson on the left wing and Luis Silva on the right wing. For that to be successful he will need to get some pacy central midfielders and good centre back to pair with O'Dea.

----------------------------Frei-------------------------
Eckersley--------NEW CB----------O'Dea---------Morgan
-----------------NEW CM---------NEW CM--------------
Silva--------------------------------------------Johnson
-----------------Hassli-----------Koevermans------------
If that isn't the slowest attacking lineup I have ever seen I don't know what is. By the time Johnson, Silva, Hassli, and Koevermans all make it into the final third the season will be over. Silva will need to learn how to defend to start out wide, Johnson will need to be more potent as a winger, and we'd be counting on one of Hassli or Koevermans to drop back and defend which would be pretty tough for either IMO.

Anyway, not trying to be critical of what you're saying but 2013 TFC is a car crash waiting to happen.

tfc2008
11-26-2012, 09:23 PM
TORONTO FC RETAINS HASSLI AS A DP

Toronto FC's Eric Hassli (Photo: CP/Chris Young)
Recommend
Tweet
+1
Email

RELATED
Hassli up for FIFA award
Soccer Mashup
Subscribe: SN World Online

John Molinaro | November 26, 2012, 3:36 pm
Twitter @JohnMolinaro
Toronto FC has locked up one of its marquee players for next season.

Earl Cochrane, TFC's director of team and player operations, told sportsnet.ca on Monday that the club has exercised its contract option on Eric Hassli.

The French striker's future has been the subject of debate and speculation ever since the 2012 Major League Soccer regular season ended last month -- specifically whether Hassli would remain as a designated player or if TFC would renegotiate and get him to sign a new deal for lesser money.

But Cochrane confirmed that Hassli will remain with the club as a DP.

"We've decided to exercise the option on his contract. There's no new contract, it's just exercising the option on the existing contract, meaning he'll be a part of our plans next season," Cochrane said.

Hassli earned $790, 000 US in 2012, and ranked as the third highest-paid player on the team behind fellow DPs Torsten Frings ($2.4 million) and Danny Koevermans ($1.5 million).

Hassli, 31, was acquired in a trade from the Vancouver Whitecaps on July 20, his arrival in Toronto hastened by the knee injury that ruled out Koevermans for the remainder of the campaign.

Viewed by some as a short-time replacement for Koevermans, Hassli did enough to impress Cochrane and head coach Paul Mariner to remain a member of TFC, who finished last place in the league with a 5-21-8 record and failed to qualify for the playoffs for a sixth straight season.

"We had some discussions about how Eric fit into the way we want to play (in 2013) when everyone is healthy. We had discussions about what our season is going to look like from start to finish, and we always landed at a situation where we thought Eric would be a big part of our success, and a big contributing part of our success. So we decided to keep him," Cochrane stated.

How, exactly, does the team want to play in its first full season under Mariner? And how does Hassli fit in?

"It's going to change from time to time but for the most part we want to be aggressive. We want to be attack-minded. We want to be putting teams on the back foot," Cochrane explained.

"But I think we also want to be tactically and system-oriented to the point where we're responsible. Where this is what it's going to take to win, and this is how we're going to play. I think we'll be lined up in a couple of systems … and Eric continues to be good for the way we want to do that."

Hassli scored 12 league goals during his season and a half in Vancouver. It could have been more had the hulking Frenchman not been bothered by disciplinary and injury problems.

Injuries continued to hound him in Toronto, where he scored three goals but was limited to just seven league appearances.

Renowned for scoring highlight-reel goals -- his strike for Vancouver against Toronto before the trade has been nominated for FIFA goal of the year -- Hassli also has a reputation for ill-discipline. He earned 14 yellow cards and one red card as a Whitecaps, and two yellow cards with Toronto.

But Cochrane maintains Hassli's disciplinary record never factored against him in TFC's decision to exercise their contract option.

"The discipline thing never factored into it; we never thought about that," Cochrane said. "Part of the reason why Eric sometimes picks up a silly yellow card, it's partly because of the abuse he's taken. Some of it has gone unnoticed and we've had discussions with the league about that, and we'll continue to do so."

It's a bit of a gamble for TFC to keep Hassli as a DP considering his history of injury problems in the league. Cochrane, though, is confident the Frenchman will arrive for pre-season training in January fully healthy.

"He's had a couple of injuries over the last few months since he's been here. But we're confident that with the plan we sent him away with, the off-season plan, the people that we've hooked him up with … we're confident that we're going to have him fit and ready to go for the season," Cochrane proclaimed.

In other TFC news, Cochrane said Frings will be ready to "hit the ground running" when pre-season training begins and fully expects the German to be available to play once the regular season starts. Koevermans is further behind in recovering from his injury, with Cochrane pegging the Dutch striker's return to playing sometime between end of April and mid May.

Also, Joao Plata is expected to be back with the club in January after spending the latter half of the 2012 MLS season on loan in his native Ecuador.

Add Your Comment:
Login (Create a new account)
Latest 20 Comments:

zwer
Nov 26, 2012 4:25 PM in response to: sportsnet_ca
Re: Toronto FC retains Hassli as a DP
Do Cochrane and Mariner think nice goals count more than ugly goals? Taking up the option on a 12 goal DP is not a great start to the offseason.
Report Abuse

Davefc
Nov 26, 2012 7:55 PM in response to: sportsnet_ca
Re: Toronto FC retains Hassli as a DP
Yikes! There goes $ 800 000 on the recovery table. I hope Don Garber will allow TFC some more room on the salary budget to allow room for the moves he is talking about.... Wait maybe this is the move...Good grief!
Report Abuse
Reply to original post | View all comments
FOLLOW
SPORTSNET

LATEST SOCCER NEWS
Toronto FC retains Hassli as a DP
BPL player of the week: Jordi Gomez
Names in the news: Will Bruin
MLS commissioner says TFC to make moves
MLS head says Beckham grew league
Redknapp set for debut as QPR manager
Napoli back in contention with win over Cagliari
Barcelona's Alves sidelined with injury
Spain dominates FIFPro World XI selections
Shakhtar owner slams 'unacceptable' goal
MORE Soccer NEWS | MORE VIDEOS

SOCCER ANALYSIS

Mike Beauvais | Twitter @MikeBeauvais
Benitez and the boo birds
The reception given to Rafa Benitez by the Chelsea faithful more befitted a convicted criminal than the man who once guided a fierce rival.

John Molinaro | Twitter @JohnMolinaro
WBA disrupt "natural order"
West Bromwich Albion third in the Premiership? That's not supposed to happen. But the Baggies have been brilliant and fully deserve it.

MORE COLUMNISTS

HEADLINES
New level of ridicule Comfort key for Gibbons Raps not discouraged by slump Argos rise, Ford falls Props to Torontonians
SEE MORE HEADLINES

Pookie
11-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Looking ahead to next season, I wanted to gauge the overall talent level of our projected starting lineup, given the fact that our limited cap space, use of the maximum 3 DP slots, and preceding reputation as a franchise will likely hinder any significant additions to the roster. In essence, what we see is most likely what we'll get in 2013.

Be that as it may, if TFC is fortunate enough to avoid any long term injuries to key starters next season, I think the projected starting eleven actually seems fairly competitive, and might be strong enough to challenge for a playoff spot...

------------------Frei------------------

Eckersley---Henry-----O'Dea-----Morgan

-----------------Frings-----------------

Lambe--------------------------Johnson

-----------------Silva------------------

Thoughts?

Koevermans is out until late April or early May. Nearly 1/3 of the season

mcolvy
11-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Silva and Johnson are both not natural wingers. And there is no way Johnson comes back. Not a chance.

mcolvy
11-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Johnson was put on the wing to work hard and use his physical gifts. He doesn't want to be used as a workhorse when he's a talent in MLS. He was always in great fitness and will be coveted around the league. Yes- he isn't a great finisher, but he brings so much to the table that it doesn't matter. You put him beside a budding stud like Agudelo to keep defenders busy and bring the work ethic and thats how you get the best out of him. He's also one of the best aerial threats in the league.

I hate that were going to lose this guy.

Ultra & Proud
11-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Silva and Johnson are both not natural wingers. And there is no way Johnson comes back. Not a chance.
Totally right. Don't really mind him leaving either. Liked him and all but expect more for near $140k.

mcolvy
11-27-2012, 12:02 PM
That 140k would do a whole lot more then the 700k hassles gonna be getting.

mcolvy
11-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Let me put it this way. Hassli hits the cap at like 335k... You can get 3 Johnsons for that. Id take the three johnsons.

Yohan
11-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Totally right. Don't really mind him leaving either. Liked him and all but expect more for near $140k.

140k is perfect price for player of Johnson's calibre in MLS. (this is in comparison to other similarly priced players in MLS) I don't know what you expect more from him?

mcolvy
11-27-2012, 12:07 PM
thank you, Yohan

trane
11-27-2012, 05:53 PM
While this is ridicolously early to be speaking about the TFC 2013 lineup, I will say this I would not mind at all to see Koevs and Hassli upfront. While they are different, the fact that they both have size and are strong in the box will create difficulties for opponents, they can both finish while under physical pressure. My only concern that they would need to be backed by a playmaker and/or have speed and good delivery from the wings. It would make for a simple offensive game plan, simple may be good for a team like ours.

ManUtd4ever
12-15-2012, 10:18 AM
BUMP

Now that there has been some roster activity, lineup edited.

After the latest roster transactions, TFC has bolstered the backline and added depth at the striker position, but there are still glaring holes to be filled on the wings and depth to be added in the central midfield.

ensco
12-15-2012, 10:50 AM
Don't think Payne is close to done.

There has to be another legit striker/winger coming. Maybe two. Koevs and Hassli can't/won't play more than half the games. Doubt Plata will be a starter. He may be part of the answer, sure. Lambe probably gets 10 games to show more than he did last year, otherwise see ya.

Califf at CB is a sign to me that Frings is now gone. There was a lot of leadership talk out of Cochrane yesterday when he discussed the signing. If Frings is still here, our only option realistic option is to hide Frings at sweeper, the way Winter did. But that can't work with Califf, how many guys wearing cement shoes can play in the same area without problems?

I don't care what Payne said about DPs, he said what he said to take the pressure off. These guys have a boatload of tickets to sell, and a lot of latent demand (lapsed SSHs) for those seats. They have never had a better setup for bringing a name player up front in (I'm think a Kenny Cooper, could also be a DP). But they need the cap space to do that, and therefore one of the current DPs has to come off the books to do it. I'm betting Frings is bought out.

I am hoping against hope that Diskerud could somehow still come here. That would be huge.

ManUtd4ever
12-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Don't think Payne is close to done.

There has to be another legit striker/winger coming. Maybe two. Koevs and Hassli can't/won't play more than half the games. Doubt Plata will be a starter. He may be part of the answer, sure. Lambe probably gets 10 games to show more than he did last year, otherwise see ya.

Califf at CB is a sign to me that Frings is gone, somehow. Our only option realistic option would be to hide him at sweeper, the way Winter did. But that can't work with Califf, how many guys wearing cement shoes can play in the same area without problems?

I don't care what Payne said about DPs, he said what he said to take the pressure off. These guys have a boatload of tickets to sell, and a lot of latent demand (lapsed SSHs) for those seats. They have never had a better setup for bringing a name DP in. But they need one of the current DPs off the books to do it. I'm betting Frings is bought out.

I am hoping against hope that Diskerud could somehow still come here. That would be huge.

Agreed on all points, except for the notion of Frings being bought out. Although it would make sense from a strategic standpoint, it's a very expensive proposition (even by MLSE's standards) considering that it's TFC.

If Frings can play in front of the backline as a link between the defensive midfield and the forwards, he can still be effective. His ability to provide precision passes and long balls is still the best on the club by far.

ensco
12-15-2012, 11:15 AM
it's a very expensive proposition (even by MLSE's standards) considering that it's TFC.

If Frings can play in front of the backline as a link between the defensive midfield and the forwards, he can still be effective. His ability to provide precision passes and long balls is still the best on the club by far.

It's just embarrassing. Not expensive. The money is gone either way.

I am surprised at the number of people who think he can play because of his precision passing. That was true in the CCL games against the Galaxy, but was gone when he came back. Opposing teams just closed him down, marked him tight, and didn't let it happen. It was obvious.

ManUtd4ever
12-15-2012, 11:27 AM
It's just embarrassing. Not expensive. The money is gone either way.

I am surprised at the number of people who think he can play because of his precision passing. That was true in the CCL games against the Galaxy, but was gone when he came back. Opposing teams just closed him down, marked him tight, and didn't let it happen. It was obvious.

Frings definitely regressed when he returned to the lineup, although I believe that his decline in form was primarily a result of him not fully recovering from his injuries, and not being utilized properly by Mariner.

If Frings can return to the lineup healthy and rejuvenated, and his minutes are managed properly, I believe he can still fulfill a valuable role in 2013. He will not live up to his DP contract, but he is still capable of contributing to the potential success of the club.

DoubleUp
12-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Frings can/will only be effective if he comes back fit(no barrel belly) and we insulate him with two skilled midfielders that will do all the leg work.

If he has to carry the midfield then we will fail.

Richard
12-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Frings can/will only be effective if he comes back fit(no barrel belly) and we insulate him with two skilled midfielders that will do all the leg work.

If he has to carry the midfield then we will fail.

Exactly. A DM may not always need to be fast, Frings has game and positional awarness that is unmatched. The midfield need to be the workers for him.

Yohan
12-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Exactly. A DM may not always need to be fast, Frings has game and positional awarness that is unmatched. The midfield need to be the workers for him.

it's also question of stamina. in MLS though, I'd prefer more mobile DMs just due to athleticism of the league, esp in 2 CM set up

DoubleUp
12-15-2012, 04:56 PM
it's also question of stamina. in MLS though, I'd prefer more mobile DMs just due to athleticism of the league, esp in 2 CM set up

Like you said before 4312 would be good for us. A 3 man midfield with frings as anchor and two workers along side of him would be perfect.

Richard
12-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Like you said before 4312 would be good for us. A 3 man midfield with frings as anchor and two workers along side of him would be perfect.

That is ideal, however im worried our defensive players will just boot the ball upfield. It completly negates Frings's ability, i hated watching him just watching the ball sail over his head and midfield.

DoubleUp
12-15-2012, 05:36 PM
That is ideal, however im worried our defensive players will just boot the ball upfield. It completly negates Frings's ability, i hated watching him just watching the ball sail over his head and midfield.

Well tactics will be another thing! lets hope Mariner gets it right.:frown2:

prizby
12-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Looking ahead to next season, I wanted to gauge the overall talent level of our projected starting lineup, given the fact that our limited cap space and use of the maximum 3 DP slots will likely hinder any significant additions to the roster. In essence, what we see is most likely what we'll get in 2013.

Eckersley---Califf-----O'Dea----Morgan

------------------Frings------------------

Lambe-----------Silva--------------Plata

Reserves: Braun, Dunfield, Henry, Stinson, Emory, Hall, Wiedeman, Amarikwa, Bendik

Thoughts?

Roberts?

[NBF]
12-15-2012, 08:34 PM
I think its very possible that Koevermans and Frings might not return to the team regardless of what anyone is saying. Payne so far has delivered on a few trades and his pick up of Califf was something that couldnt have been done by Cochrane and Mariner.

4-4-2:

--------------------------Frei---------------------------
-------------------------Bendik-------------------------
Eckersley-------Califf------------O'Dea-----------Morgan
----------------Henry-----------Emory------------------
-------------(#4-Swede)------(#3-Swede)--------------
(#2-Swede)---Stinson------(#2 Draft Pick)---(#1-Swede)
Lambe--------------------------------------------------
----------------Silva------------------------------------
--------------(#1-Draft)--------Hassli-------------------
--------------------------------Braun-------------------

prizby
12-15-2012, 10:17 PM
;1548085']I think its very possible that Koevermans and Frings might not return to the team regardless of what anyone is saying. Payne so far has delivered on a few trades and his pick up of Califf was something that couldnt have been done by Cochrane and Mariner.

4-4-2:

--------------------------Frei---------------------------
-------------------------Bendik-------------------------
Eckersley-------Califf------------O'Dea-----------Morgan
----------------Henry-----------Emory------------------
-------------(#4-Swede)------(#3-Swede)--------------
(#2-Swede)---Stinson------(#2 Draft Pick)---(#1-Swede)
Lambe--------------------------------------------------
----------------Silva------------------------------------
--------------(#1-Draft)--------Hassli-------------------
--------------------------------Braun-------------------

possible, but highly unrealistic...where is dunfield?

and no defender as a draft pick...even thought the top 2 rated are defenders

jloome
12-16-2012, 01:39 AM
This team needs some speed desperately. We're going to get killed in this league if we don't sign some very fast wide guys to counteract Cailiff/O'Dea/Frings/Hassli. Don't know how fast Silva is, either, maybe just average (although a smart player.) Geez, can you see our current potential starting lineup against a team as strong AND fast as KC? We're gonna get fucking slaughtered.

This was the knock against us in year one once Amado came on board; we had lots of talent but we had Robinson-Guevara in the middle and usually, like, Laurent Robert and Andy Welsh wide, as well as Adam Braz and Tyrone in Defence. I remember interviewing Rick Titus for a story I was working on at the time, and he was in their inaugural training camp, and one of the last cuts. And he said "S-l-O-W. There's lots of talent but they're gonna get killed in this league."

Why do I see the same thing about to happen again. These lads need to sign some fucking speed right fucking quick.

ensco
12-16-2012, 09:32 AM
^When the Rapids converted Wynne to a CB and it worked, the lightbulb on this went off for me.

The league has become one of the 10 or 12 best leagues in the world. It's at the bottom of that list, but it's on it! It's an elite league.

The way the game is played at this level, the central defenders can't play an old fashioned game and just get "stuck in". It's not just wing play either. There is too much build up coming from the middle, and the overall speed level is too high.

It's why Mariner was fooling around with Eckersley at CB all year. It's also why I don't think Payne would sign Califf if Frings were staying.

ManUtd4ever
12-16-2012, 09:33 AM
This team needs some speed desperately. We're going to get killed in this league if we don't sign some very fast wide guys to counteract Cailiff/O'Dea/Frings/Hassli. Don't know how fast Silva is, either, maybe just average (although a smart player.) Geez, can you see our current potential starting lineup against a team as strong AND fast as KC? We're gonna get fucking slaughtered.

This was the knock against us in year one once Amado came on board; we had lots of talent but we had Robinson-Guevara in the middle and usually, like, Laurent Robert and Andy Welsh wide, as well as Adam Braz and Tyrone in Defence. I remember interviewing Rick Titus for a story I was working on at the time, and he was in their inaugural training camp, and one of the last cuts. And he said "S-l-O-W. There's lots of talent but they're gonna get killed in this league."

Why do I see the same thing about to happen again. These lads need to sign some fucking speed right fucking quick.

Agreed. Other than Morgan, Lambe, Plata, Eckersley, and Amarikwa, the roster is definitely below average in terms of speed. I assume that Payne is well aware of that glaring deficiency.

On a positive note, TFC might have an opportunity to partially rectify the problem in the upcoming draft, preferably in the defensive midfield and on the wings.

Wooster_TFC
12-16-2012, 11:13 AM
It's also why I don't think Payne would sign Califf if Frings were staying.

Or, maybe they are thinking of "converting" him to an AM type a la Blanco. Frings is amongst the best in the league for vision and passing, and has a cannon of a shot. He was effective the few times he roamed forward late in the game when we were losing, and could slide back to supply some more defensive support to protect a late lead if needed.

In either a 4-3-1-2 or a 4-1-3-2 the 3 need to be CMs. Sure one plays right and one plays left, but you can't have wingers like Plata playing in those roles.

I'd like to see a 4-3-1-2 with something like:

---------------------------Frei---------------------------
--Eckersley---------Califf---------O'Dea---------Morgan---
--------New Box To Box----Dunfield----New Box To Box----
---------------------------Frings-------------------------
----------------------Hassli-----Koevermans--------------

We'd need to pick up more than just those two starters, as a suspect the only folks currently on the roster who can actually play box to box are Dunfield (arguably), Hall (at best a depth option), Stinson (woefully inexperienced), and Lambe (could probably convert from his winger roots, but would take some time).

Silva needs to be viewed as an AM in this formation, and needs to learn from Frings for game reading and movement. Switching to a 4-1-3-2 just means that the AM would slot down into the CM position, and the CM would slot down into an anchor position. Ideally, you'd replace Dunfield too, but I doubt getting 3 starting box to box types is in the cards.

Soccerpro
12-16-2012, 11:58 AM

This +1

Wingback6
12-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Hmm.... At this stage perhaps only a back line of Ecks-Califf-O'Dea-Morgan Looks like the only slightly sure thing. And I personally can't stress enough how relieving it is to look at something like this, of course, I am going off of the Califf of a couple of years ago. That being said, if there is a player Payne might be looking to address it would be Ecks. He is a great RB, and I am sure will give lots of the attack once moved back there. But he is making a lot of money and he is young, which means his big price-tag is going to go up once more, and soon. Not sure of his contract lenght. But unless he doesn't want a raise eventually, don't expect him to be around for too long.

Wingback6
12-16-2012, 12:14 PM
This team needs some speed desperately. We're going to get killed in this league if we don't sign some very fast wide guys to counteract Cailiff/O'Dea/Frings/Hassli. Don't know how fast Silva is, either, maybe just average (although a smart player.) Geez, can you see our current potential starting lineup against a team as strong AND fast as KC? We're gonna get fucking slaughtered. This was the knock against us in year one once Amado came on board; we had lots of talent but we had Robinson-Guevara in the middle and usually, like, Laurent Robert and Andy Welsh wide, as well as Adam Braz and Tyrone in Defence. I remember interviewing Rick Titus for a story I was working on at the time, and he was in their inaugural training camp, and one of the last cuts. And he said "S-l-O-W. There's lots of talent but they're gonna get killed in this league." Why do I see the same thing about to happen again. These lads need to sign some fucking speed right fucking quick. I wouldn't call this a GLARING deficiency. A glaring deficiency would be say, at LB where we don't have back up (O'Dei, Emory) who can perform at the level of our starter (Morgan). In contrast with RB, where our back-up (Hall), is able to get forward effectively like our starter (Ecks). If we didn't have very decent starting fullbacks, who were responsible for most of the crosses on the team all last season anyway, this would be a worse situation. We do need a couple of wingers, but we weren't relying on them for our width last season anyway. Not a lot of teams do these days. I suppose it depends on the formation the team wants to use, whether or not this is a glaring deficiency. Because in a 4-3-3 it wouldn't be, while in a 4-2-3-1, it might be, certainly in a 4-4-2. Besides, I don't think speed is ever as big a deal as basic footballing and passing skills, a ball can zip faster than any one player can run. And we DO lack effective footballing skills in key positions.

notthesun
12-16-2012, 02:49 PM
I'd like us to sign a new LM and RM. Plata and Lambe can both have their day, but they're terribly inconsistent.

I'd appreciate another CB signing in case Califf doesn't work out.

Another legitimate starting 11 striker is also a need. Let's be honest, Koevermans or Hassli will be injured multiple times this year. I don't want to be losing games because we have to settle with Amarikwa or Braun up front. Hopefully one of our draft picks can fill this hole.