PDA

View Full Version : Lets Not Be Leaf Fans

Sparta
07-16-2008, 10:44 AM
LETS ALL STOP COMPLAINING about OUR players being shit

I for one dont like a few on our team -- and wish they play others --BUT they are still on the team and I support them

I hear so much complaining about players I thought I was listening to "The Fan" and all the Leaf fans

I drove my wifes car today and it was on 103.5 (cant stand the station) -- Dichio was on it -- saying how he loves the fans

Lets stop saying how washed up people are or that they are shit

Like I said, I am not a big fan of a couple of players, but I dont down them -- ESPECIALLY at a game

I read some threads hear -- and there are some mentions or complaints about how shit certain players are -- but oh well

we can only cheer what our managers put out there -- we have the option of not showing if you dont like them

LAST THING WE NEED IS FOR THE TFC FANS TO TURN INTO THE LEAF FANS

FluSH
07-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Hear Hear!

RealG-TFC
07-16-2008, 10:46 AM
I wonder how many posts it will take for a " I don't know about you..." or "have you seen them play!"

Rawkus_420
07-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Bottom line if youre going to support a team, than support them. Too much negative bullshit. It makes me sick. This is NOT the way to support a team from a fanatical football perspective. Too many of you are far too quick to complain and are constantly pulling complete 360's in regards to your opinions about TFC. Support your reds or dont!

coisty1966
07-16-2008, 10:50 AM
actually i think thats what these forums are for....to air our frustrations and discuss the club....however i do strongly agree that we should never slag our boys in public...not on a phone in radio show and never anything but our support at the match!!

Parkdale
07-16-2008, 10:51 AM
If we aren't going to be critical, then who will?

besides.... it's the internet.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1424/1245589120_7d1a8228c2_o.jpg

Dave67
07-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Too many of you are far too quick to complain and are constantly pulling complete 360's in regards to your opinions about TFC. Support your reds or dont!

A 360 puts you in the same position. I believe you mean a 180, which puts you in a different position.

* Added so I could be the first to complain in this thread :)

Blazer
07-16-2008, 10:55 AM
You can’t ask people to stop being passionate about the team they support. Although I see it similar to the way you see it, nobody can expect everyone’s support to be glass half-full and peachy-keen jellybean sort of thing. People are going to continue to be different so as a result we get different approaches to what it means to be a supporter.

blackandwhite
07-16-2008, 10:55 AM
But I am a leafs fan!!

Parkdale
07-16-2008, 10:56 AM
But I am a leafs fan!!

please.... you're a senators fan. admit it!

blackandwhite
07-16-2008, 10:57 AM
please.... you're a senators fan. admit it!

NEVER! I also pull 270s!!

alexintoronto
07-16-2008, 10:57 AM
That's below the belt Parkdale!

I saw his Leaf jersey he keeps it in his trunk.

Blazer
07-16-2008, 10:58 AM

You say "besides, it's the internet" like its not really real or something. Are you suggesting I shouldn't be using this board as my be all and end all? LOL

pekduck
07-16-2008, 10:58 AM
the cost of being a leafs fan in my university years:
- lost countless bottles of beer to the senators fan on game betting in dorm
- proudly wore leafs jersey in a pro senator crowd and get jeered
- stopped by the group of senators fans in campus the next morning after a leafs loss and get the group chant of go leafs go home
- still a leafs fan today

blackandwhite
07-16-2008, 11:00 AM
That's below the belt Parkdale!

I saw his Leaf jersey he keeps it in his trunk.

fuck it...I am wearing my Domi jersey to SJ game..

ExiledRed
07-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Cunningham blows and needs to go, he's demoralising the team and the fans and he is holding us back.

You dont like that statement? You want to make a leaf fan comparison about me? Do you think I have less right to make this comment than a journalist would, because I actually contribute to pay the stupid cunt's wages?

I agree there is too much player bashing, but theres way too much fan bashing going on, and the problem is worse.

I'm a better fan because I dont criticise the team, I'm a better fan because I do, you're a leaf fan. you're a sheep and so on and so on.

BORING!

CanadaLFC
07-16-2008, 11:01 AM
The negative criticisms are for the betterment of our team. It does not necessarily mean that we stop supporting them. Like Parkdale said if we won't be critical then who will? In my opinion, I think that we as people who pay to see matches should be critical, so we get on the back of the team to improve.

dannyd
07-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Sparta, I've got a better idea... instead of telling us all what we can and can't say, why don't you just take part in the threads you have an interest in, and if you don't like the thread don't read it?

Last time I checked there was something called freedom of speech...

Sparta
07-16-2008, 11:22 AM
LOL LOL -- wow testy -- i guess some took it too hard -- fuck bash all you want -- LOL

DannyD -- wasnt telling was suggesting

Are you pissed because I said I didnt like 103.5 -- are you DJ DannyD ---- LOL

TFC Tifoso
07-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Guys, TFC hasn't won in 7 games. I think that is cause for a little concern, don't you? With the skill in our team this shouldn't be happening. Supporting your team doesn't mean to blindly agree with everything they do. Passion comes in both positive and negative forms. The important part is that you stick with them throughout, even if you don't always agree with/like what you see.

Barbarez
07-16-2008, 11:52 AM
I could care less for the players. Here today gone tmrw. I support TFC, our city & colours, not brennan, dichio and guevara.

BC101
07-16-2008, 11:54 AM
I could care less for the players. Here today gone tmrw. I support TFC, our city & colours, not brennan, dichio and guevara.

Word....

Wagner
07-16-2008, 11:56 AM
fuck it...I am wearing my Domi jersey to SJ game..

Deniz,
you should get BJK hockey started...
http://www.bjk.com.tr/en/

see "other sports"

Toronto_Bhoy
07-16-2008, 12:01 PM

Totally agree…love for the badge is unconditional.

Players, coaches and ownership are all accountable…if you praise a performance you are entitled to criticize it!

rocker
07-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Guys, TFC hasn't won in 7 games. I think that is cause for a little concern, don't you? With the skill in our team this shouldn't be happening. Supporting your team doesn't mean to blindly agree with everything they do. Passion comes in both positive and negative forms. The important part is that you stick with them throughout, even if you don't always agree with/like what you see.

altho just about every team in MLS has a stretch like this. We were all laughin at DC to start the season.. look what happened. (altho now they've lost Gallardo for a few weeks, which may be trouble). if DC can suck so bad for the start of the season, and then come back strongly and surpass us, then it makes sense that we can suck for awhile, and then come back strongly too.

I think people get too up and down because they are used to following non-parity leagues. people need to learn that MLS is volatile. Things change all the time. Despite not winning a lot of games lately, TFC is still doing fine in the standings (2 measly wins out of second place, altho 3 wins away from last place). People need to look around the league more and not be so TFC focused. You look around the league and everyone says the same things about their teams that we say about TFC.

Radical changes are rarely necessary in MLS. You make 1 trade or signing and you can turn the team around. and you also can't expect your team to go around beating everyone every week, like when Man U or Chelsea prey on the bottom half of their table.

It also sucks that we don't have a balanced schedule, nor do we have an equal number of games played each week. of the top 8 teams in MLS right now, 5 of them have played more games than TFC. And quirky things like: RSL and LA have played 2 more home games than TFC have...

H Bomb
07-16-2008, 12:06 PM
It all comes down to whether or not you are a glass half empty type or a glass half full type. It's undeniable that the last few weeks haven't been the best for the club, but I don't enjoy being miserable, so I try not to be. Glass half empty people have a history of being much louder than half full types.

MFBODD
07-16-2008, 12:46 PM
the cost of being a leafs fan in my university years:
- lost countless bottles of beer to the senators fan on game betting in dorm
- proudly wore leafs jersey in a pro senator crowd and get jeered
- stopped by the group of senators fans in campus the next morning after a leafs loss and get the group chant of go leafs go home
- still a leafs fan today

You should have tried doubling the bet during the playoffs

MadMike
07-16-2008, 12:50 PM
By doing nothing we will be leafs fans. Just keep renewing season tickets without question ..... no thanks. " Think for yourself .... question authority !"

ilikemusic
07-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Im not going to bother ranting about how stupid it is to say anybody is 'acting like Leaf fans'.

You mean paying tons of attention, being so interested that national media outlets feel compelled to lead with our team and turning our franchise into the most successful one in the league isnt desirable?

No youd have to be stupid to want to imitate that!

:banghead:

TicTacTabarnack
07-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Leafs fans blow!

"F*** Sundin ... Sundin is God ... F*** Sundin ... Sundin is God ... F*** Sundin."

Make up your mind already and stop poisoning my TFC with your crazy bi-polar antics!

p.s. I have taken the stance on this board of completely disagreeing about having Cunningham on the team and I will not change my stance on this one. He's had more than enough opportunities and chances to perform and he just doesn't belong on the team any more. I'm not the only one that thinks so ... BMO was quite silent yesterday (though I heard some BOOs) when he was subbed in the Independente game yesterday.

trane
07-16-2008, 01:29 PM

Dude, why are you picking on me.

Parkdale
07-16-2008, 01:51 PM
^ it's tough love. Like Coach Carver.

adampz
07-16-2008, 02:49 PM
we should be focusing more on tifos and supporting the team, rather then complaining about them

TFC Tifoso
07-16-2008, 03:37 PM
we should be focusing more on tifos and supporting the team, rather then complaining about them

Why? Intelligent soccer discussion is part of being a supporter. In Manchester, the supporters were staging mass protests and were burning effigies of Malcolm Glazer prior to his purchase of the club. We just complain (and for the most part with no further action) on a message board....TFC should be happy to be so lucky.

Really? I'm on the opposite end of that. For me, when you get to the bottom of it, you are cheering for the players on the field, who wear the badge and the shirt. For the most part, they are the reasons why we have these discussions and arguments. To simply dismiss them as replaceable stand-ins is off the mark a little. Some players even become synonymous with the teams they play for.

Smenge
07-16-2008, 03:43 PM
The next time I get cut off on the DVP, I will roll up my window and yell: Way to go mate, we are all one big happy family, i love the dvp, i love you, and everybody else who shares the road with me, and I am glad i didn't get decapitated today, thank you for missing me, cheers"

ilikemusic
07-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Really? I'm on the opposite end of that. For me, when you get to the bottom of it, you are cheering for the players on the field, who wear the badge and the shirt. For the most part, they are the reasons why we have these discussions and arguments. To simply dismiss them as replaceable stand-ins is off the mark a little. Some players even become synonymous with the teams they play for.

I disagree. Barbarez is 100% right. Its about the name on the front (and not BMO :p) not the name on the back.

TicTacTabarnack
07-16-2008, 03:59 PM
The next time I get cut off on the DVP, I will roll up my window and yell: Way to go mate, we are all one big happy family, i love the dvp, i love you, and everybody else who shares the road with me, and I am glad i didn't get decapitated today, thank you for missing me, cheers"

Who's your pharmacist? I need a prescription to the same happy pills your on! (j/k :p)

On that point - I think we all should lighten up a little sometimes. We can be quite hard on everyone around us and forget to realize how good we have it. All the bitching just leads to more bitching... "You think your day was bad ... Wait until you hear how bad my day was!" Law of Attraction - Bitching attracts Bitching. We get caught up in the moment because it's so easy and forget about what really matters ...

ExiledRed
07-16-2008, 04:14 PM
The real problem is that there are people who have nothing else to talk about but everybody else's demeanour.

shut up!

The topic is football, not your analysis on why I'm an arsehole on the message board.

Sparta
07-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Im not going to bother ranting about how stupid it is to say anybody is 'acting like Leaf fans'.

You mean paying tons of attention, being so interested that national media outlets feel compelled to lead with our team and turning our franchise into the most successful one in the league isnt desirable?

No youd have to be stupid to want to imitate that!

:banghead:

never said that was wrong -- never said that was a "leaf Fan" BUT going to a game or board and start saying that they suck -- and shit like that is a Leaf Fan -- how can that benefit supporters or people around you at games -- how can you say they suck then go outside and chant (win or lose)

I cant see you saying "these guys fucking suck" -- then sing "T.OOOOOOhhh -- that is just dumb

How the hell are YOU going to turn a team around -- when was the last time the leafs won the CUP -- how much bitching goes on there and nothing is done -- nothing will be done -- there are waiting list of people to step right in -- no cup will come to the Leafs -- no matter how much you bitch

-- i heard the other day about boycotting the TFC -- like fucking come on -- FUCK, what bullshit is that --

Soccer is a passion -- no matter how low your team is -- you will get behind them --

But bitching is negative -- cant get a way from it -- it is contagious in the crowd -- and most important IT DOESN'T DO ANYTHING -- we all go to work the next day -- BMO MAKES MILLIONS -- MANAGERS and PLAYERS get there paychecks

Thats just what I see -- so I rather get behind my team - even if they are shit(which they are not) and help them -- eventually through the system and drafts -- every team will come out and be competitive -- and when they start winning -- we can say that we were behind them the whole way through thick and thin -- NOT LIKE THE LEAF BANDWAGONERS THAT LIKE THEM WHEN THEY ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS AND COMPLAIN WHEN THEY COME DEAD LAST

Not saying that we cant critisize or critique the game -- or say that a certain player made mistakes -- but to say there shit and "off with there head" and "he is washed up" -- get rid of him -- a bit much

ilikemusic
07-16-2008, 07:49 PM
never said that was wrong -- never said that was a "leaf Fan" BUT going to a game or board and start saying that they suck -- and shit like that is a Leaf Fan -- how can that benefit supporters or people around you at games -- how can you say they suck then go outside and chant (win or lose)

I cant see you saying "these guys fucking suck" -- then sing "T.OOOOOOhhh -- that is just dumb

How the hell are YOU going to turn a team around -- when was the last time the leafs won the CUP -- how much bitching goes on there and nothing is done -- nothing will be done -- there are waiting list of people to step right in -- no cup will come to the Leafs -- no matter how much you bitch

-- i heard the other day about boycotting the TFC -- like fucking come on -- FUCK, what bullshit is that --

Soccer is a passion -- no matter how low your team is -- you will get behind them --

But bitching is negative -- cant get a way from it -- it is contagious in the crowd -- and most important IT DOESN'T DO ANYTHING -- we all go to work the next day -- BMO MAKES MILLIONS -- MANAGERS and PLAYERS get there paychecks

Thats just what I see -- so I rather get behind my team - even if they are shit(which they are not) and help them -- eventually through the system and drafts -- every team will come out and be competitive -- and when they start winning -- we can say that we were behind them the whole way through thick and thin -- NOT LIKE THE LEAF BANDWAGONERS THAT LIKE THEM WHEN THEY ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS AND COMPLAIN WHEN THEY COME DEAD LAST

Not saying that we cant critisize or critique the game -- or say that a certain player made mistakes -- but to say there shit and "off with there head" and "he is washed up" -- get rid of him -- a bit much

I dont know why the comparisons to the Leafs and their fans being 'bandwagoners'. I have never and will never stop cheering for the Leafs because theyre my home team. Why is everyone here a fan of Toronto FC? Im going to bet for 90% of them the reason is because it's thier home team. It cant be out a puritan love for North American football because the Lynx and the CSL would be playing to packed houses were that the case.

Im not really going to argue about the relevance of bitching about Toronto players on the board is though. This is technically a 'supporters' message board and I suppose dissenting clamor can be viewed as detrimental to the supporter atmosphere most here are trying to create. I personally dont do alot of bitching. I will make a post usually after matches in a game thread but im not one starting 'Who needs to go?' polls either.

You yourelf cited MLSE, the sponsors and the players all get their money, and at the end of the day, there is still a waiting list for season tickets. So how are Toronto FC fans all that much different from Maple Leaf ones?

All im saying is; the relation to Maple Leaf fans is unfounded and irrelevant. Huge amounts of bandwagon fans exist for every single successful sports franchise on the planet. It doesnt make the legit fans of those franchises any less loyal.

edit: and the fact that the Maple Leafs seem to be so many people's point of reference around here is disappointing.

giambac
07-16-2008, 07:51 PM
LETS ALL STOP COMPLAINING about OUR players being shit

I for one dont like a few on our team -- and wish they play others --BUT they are still on the team and I support them

I hear so much complaining about players I thought I was listening to "The Fan" and all the Leaf fans

I drove my wifes car today and it was on 103.5 (cant stand the station) -- Dichio was on it -- saying how he loves the fans

Lets stop saying how washed up people are or that they are shit

Like I said, I am not a big fan of a couple of players, but I dont down them -- ESPECIALLY at a game

I read some threads hear -- and there are some mentions or complaints about how shit certain players are -- but oh well

we can only cheer what our managers put out there -- we have the option of not showing if you dont like them

LAST THING WE NEED IS FOR THE TFC FANS TO TURN INTO THE LEAF FANS

For the most part I have no problem with the players. They are what they are. For the most pasrt they have been given it their all.

We do need a striker as everyone is knows.

However I do have problems with Carver and how he has managed (I mean mismanaged) the players. He is the bigger problem.
He can never settle on a starting 11 and give his players the chance to gel.

This reminds me so much of Leaf coaches who basically would change the forward lines every game. See the results it brought the leafs..........

ExiledRed
07-16-2008, 08:37 PM
For the most part I have no problem with the players. They are what they are. For the most pasrt they have been given it their all.

We do need a striker as everyone is knows.

However I do have problems with Carver and how he has managed (I mean mismanaged) the players. He is the bigger problem.
He can never settle on a starting 11 and give his players the chance to gel.

This reminds me so much of Leaf coaches who basically would change the forward lines every game. See the results it brought the leafs..........

Carver did your girl, didn't he?

Roogsy
07-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Don't be Leaf fans?

WTF does that mean? People can't even agree what being a "Leaf fan" means.

For you it means criticizing players. For others it means being somehow brainwashed into living a subpar team.

You know what? I have been a loyal Leaf fan for years, through good and bad times and still love my team, even if I am frustrated with them.

I WELCOME ANYONE WHO IS A LEAF FAN LIKE ME!

And the rest of you? I don't say stop being Leaf fans...I say stop being bandwagon jumpers. And keep this Leaf-hate out of TFC forums for heaven's sakes.

TFC-4-Life
07-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Bottom line if youre going to support a team, than support them. Too much negative bullshit. It makes me sick. This is NOT the way to support a team from a fanatical football perspective. Too many of you are far too quick to complain and are constantly pulling complete 360's in regards to your opinions about TFC. Support your reds or dont!

I agree 100%

Sparta
07-16-2008, 09:11 PM
I dont know why the comparisons to the Leafs and their fans being 'bandwagoners'. I have never and will never stop cheering for the Leafs because theyre my home team. Why is everyone here a fan of Toronto FC? Im going to bet for 90% of them the reason is because it's thier home team. It cant be out a puritan love for North American football because the Lynx and the CSL would be playing to packed houses were that the case.

Im not really going to argue about the relevance of bitching about Toronto players on the board is though. This is technically a 'supporters' message board and I suppose dissenting clamor can be viewed as detrimental to the supporter atmosphere most here are trying to create. I personally dont do alot of bitching. I will make a post usually after matches in a game thread but im not one starting 'Who needs to go?' polls either.

You yourelf cited MLSE, the sponsors and the players all get their money, and at the end of the day, there is still a waiting list for season tickets. So how are Toronto FC fans all that much different from Maple Leaf ones?

All im saying is; the relation to Maple Leaf fans is unfounded and irrelevant. Huge amounts of bandwagon fans exist for every single successful sports franchise on the planet. It doesnt make the legit fans of those franchises any less loyal.

edit: and the fact that the Maple Leafs seem to be so many people's point of reference around here is disappointing.

I see your point and see what you mean -- I especially agree with your second paragraph and that is why I posted this thread -- I used the leafs because that is the largest fan base professional team we got -- not trying to sterotyping all fans of the leafs

Jack
07-16-2008, 09:11 PM
I support TFC, our city & colours

Totally agree…love for the badge is unconditional.

Players, coaches and ownership are all accountable…if you praise a performance you are entitled to criticize it!

These two statements pretty much sum it up for me.

Oh, and I AM a Leafs fan. Not a very happy one, but I remain loyal (see above).

TFC Tifoso
07-16-2008, 10:13 PM
I disagree. Barbarez is 100% right. Its about the name on the front (and not BMO :p) not the name on the back.

Well, I don't totally disagree with Barbarez...I support the badge and the colours 100%. But I support the players as well, because they are the ones that make the memories. We remember Danny Dichio scoring TFC's first ever goal....his goal vs NE....Guevara's free kick bomb vs KC....and so on.

adampz
07-16-2008, 11:05 PM
Well, I don't totally disagree with Barbarez...I support the badge and the colours 100%. But I support the players as well, because they are the ones that make the memories. We remember Danny Dichio scoring TFC's first ever goal....his goal vs NE....Guevara's free kick bomb vs KC....and so on.

I think most of us support the team, the badge, and also the players and coaches, because they are the ones that make the team a team. But i dont think our support for the team is as good as it could be. The south end has turned into pockets of sections singing 90 minutes, and waving flags. We dont have the WHOLE south end involved, which is annoying for im sure almost all people on this board.

giambac
07-17-2008, 07:51 AM
Carver did your girl, didn't he?

No he did my pet poodle:D

MisterMacphisto
07-17-2008, 08:35 AM
If we're going to make comparisons to Leafs fans, lets talk about the droves of people leafing the Independiente game 10 minutes before the final whistle. :mad:

Hey, at least bitching about a players poor performance shows you care. Upright standing up and walking out in the final 10 minutes of play when we're down only one goal...

But enough of that... Saturday is looming and that's what we should be focusing on. I fucking want this game more than any other game so far. I don't want us to just win, I want us to destroy San Jose. The boys better bring their A game, or they will here it from me. :incazzato:

Northern Soul
07-17-2008, 09:42 AM
I think - the whole "Leafs fans" comparison aside - that there are two different levels going on here.

1. Criticism - definitely allowed. If we can't criticize players/coaches/performances, why do we have a message board?

2. BASHING - the difference here is calling for people's heads constantly. After 1, 2, 3 bad performances, bitching about firing everyone, cutting all the players. Not cool....except in the case of Cunny. He has to go. ;)

ExiledRed
07-17-2008, 09:48 AM
WARNING: DO NOT EMULATE THIS PERSON!

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w180/ExiledRed/14063.jpg