PDA

View Full Version : Beckham to end his time with Galaxy after MLS Cup

Yohan
11-19-2012, 07:26 PM
http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2012/11/david-beckham-play-his-final-game-la-galaxy-mls-cup-2012

End of an era for MLS

ensco
11-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Maybe the Qataris are finally getting their man

Yohan
11-19-2012, 07:43 PM
So... Frank Lampard to LA in Jan?

brad
11-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Snoop Dog is taking him to Celtic.

ensco
11-19-2012, 08:38 PM
This is actually pretty interesting. Guys do this (pre-announce) when they're retiring, but not when they are going somewhere else, as he states. Weird timing.

Can't help but think it's somehow connected to AEG being for sale.

Yohan
11-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Also interesting because technically Becks has a year left on his contract

brad
11-19-2012, 09:13 PM
My Snoop dog line wasn't actually a joke.

Snoop is a huge football fan and is talking about buying a stake in Celtic big enough to have a say in what happens at the club. He is also friends with Beckham and mentioned something today about maybe persuading him to go to Celtic for a year.

ensco
11-19-2012, 09:38 PM
The odds of Beckham being interested in Celtic are about the sames as those of TFC winning the MLS Cup in 2013.

tfcleeds
11-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I don't doubt Beckham is good buddies with Snoop Dogg (and Dogg IS interested in buying a stake in Celtic), but Becks heading to the SPL at this point in his career doesn't make any sense. I figure either he heads Down Under, to the Middle East, or winds his career up back in England.

MartinUtd
11-19-2012, 10:03 PM
He was talking about a "a new challenge" a while back. I'd put my money on PSG.

kodiakTFC
11-19-2012, 10:07 PM
What Beckham did for MLS will never be forgotten. The fact as many people know what MLS is, is a testament to what he has done. Class act and I wish him the best with PSG (any takers?).

tfcleeds
11-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Could be PSG, but it would only be a blatant attempt to sell shirts for them. I doubt Becks even makes the starting lineup with the squad they currently have.

[NBF]
11-19-2012, 10:18 PM
Snoop Lion, Rasta Bumbaclut:

http://gigsplay.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/snoop-lion-people.jpg (http://gigsplay.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/snoop-lion-people.jpg)

TFC07
11-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Maybe he's going to retire?

AdamAM
11-19-2012, 11:29 PM
10$ on Ligue 1, EPL, or Middle East.

Joe Kool
11-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Part of his contract with MLS is having the option to buy an MLS franchise so maybe he will be going into the ownership game and staying in the US. Who knows... Regardless of what happens it was nice to have him here though in North America and help the game grow like it did so we could enjoy it. Hopefully if he goes anywhere he will take Landycakes with him because that piece of crap MLS can do without...IMO.

tfcleeds
11-20-2012, 12:15 AM
Landycakes is also considering retirement, from what I've heard.

Richard
11-20-2012, 12:53 AM
Landycakes is also considering retirement, from what I've heard.

Why?

ensco
11-20-2012, 06:25 AM
Could be PSG, but it would only be a blatant attempt to sell shirts for them. I doubt Becks even makes the starting lineup with the squad they currently have.

Disagree that PSG would be about shirts only. Ancelotti had Becks in Milan, and sat some pretty good players in Becks' favour then.

PSG lost at home to 9 man Rennes last weekend, and Ancelotti has since gone ballistic.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1229511/ligue-1:-nine-man-rennes-win-away-at-psg?cc=5901

My guess: without Leiweke and Anschutz in the Galaxy's future, Beck's probably can't do a loan deal, and wants out anyway, since he doesn't know what he would be coming back to. Wouldn't surprise me if PSG (or whomever) is insisting on the rest of the year anyway (ie what Beckham did in 2009) which would complicate things. It's possible we might see Beckham back in MLS in July.

Technorgasm
11-20-2012, 08:03 AM
Over the last 6 years of MLS in Toronto, I have been back home to the UK 4 times.
Each of those times I was amazed to see Becks shirt in all the sport shops. . .
The ONLY MLS shirt in the store. . and were talking SERIOUS sports stores here. .

IT can not be measured how much visibility he brought to this league internationally.
Thansk becks for lending your star power to our lil pond over here. . and good luck in your next challenge.

Please no more clothing lines, fragrances, or reality shows though. . .

tfcleeds
11-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Why?

He's stated himself that his heart hasn't been in the game lately. Anyways, it's speculation.

KRO
11-20-2012, 08:48 AM
The timing of the announcement ensures that the MLS Final will be all about Beckham.

Anyone with an ounce of respect for the game and his teammates would have waited until after.

brad
11-20-2012, 08:59 AM
He's stated himself that his heart hasn't been in the game lately. Anyways, it's speculation.

Rumor is he is trying to strong arm the league into selling him, with Everton the likely destination. They sell, even at a cut rate, and make some money off him, or he retires and gets nothing.

Honestly though, I could understand losing your taste for the game here in his circumstances. After having a taste of the EPL and doing very well against the top clubs there, I could see it tough to get excited about playing in the MLS.

On Becks, I don't think he's going to the EPL. He's said time in and time out that he'll never play for another EPL team. Although, with the way Fergie is going, maybe Giggs and Becks will be Uniteds central midfield starting in January... :)

cmonyoureds
11-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Gee whiz, how the heck we gonna get 50k into the skydome now? *sarcasm*

But seriously, put MLS on the map outside North America. Guardian in the UK even runs an MLS column now.
He put up with a heck of a lot of stick for coming here and has been nothing but a commercial success for MLS.

One of those deals that worked for both league and player for sure.

cmonyoureds
11-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Rumor is he is trying to strong arm the league into selling him, with Everton the likely destination. They sell, even at a cut rate, and make some money off him, or he retires and gets nothing.

Honestly though, I could understand losing your taste for the game here in his circumstances. After having a taste of the EPL and doing very well against the top clubs there, I could see it tough to get excited about playing in the MLS.

On Becks, I don't think he's going to the EPL. He's said time in and time out that he'll never play for another EPL team. Although, with the way Fergie is going, maybe Giggs and Becks will be Uniteds central midfield starting in January... :)

For the love of all that's good and holy bite your tongue!!! With the way Giggs played at Carrow Road..........man you're giving me nightmares

Yohan
11-20-2012, 03:38 PM
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/clubs-line-up-to-sign-beckham/53416

A League teams slobbering over Beckham.. makes sense for expanding Brand Beckham name...

On A league notes, Del Piero and Emile Heskey is tearing that league up

ensco
11-20-2012, 03:46 PM
^That A-league razzle dazzle is just Beckham's handlers working over PSG (or whomever). Beckham didn't need to announce he was leaving to go to Australia. That could have waited until Dec 1. But whoever it is he is dealiong with needs to know now, obviously.

Yohan
11-20-2012, 04:02 PM
I seriously think A league is deep in the running. What does going to play for PSG does for Beckham? At this stage of his career, does he really care about winning another trophy, or does he want to expand David Beckham brand?

__wowza
11-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Also interesting because technically Becks has a year left on his contract

i was just going to say this.

Why?

menopause.

Yohan
11-20-2012, 04:27 PM
apparently that 2nd year on Beck's contract is an option year...

ensco
11-20-2012, 04:29 PM
What does going to play for PSG does for Beckham? At this stage of his career, does he really care about winning another trophy, or does he want to expand David Beckham brand?

Just from a brand POV, I think a worldwide metrosexual fashionista icon gets more out of Paris than he would from Australia.

I also think this is about business off the pitch, face it the Qataris and Beckham are a match made in heaven (or hell, depending on how you see it!)

Fort York Redcoat
11-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Posh does not want to go to Australia. Their league is too much the level or stature of ours. Not enough of a change or challenge for him. PSG is my bet.

Alixir
11-20-2012, 06:16 PM
but but but when he came to Japan for a friendly with Real Madrid he said during an interview that he would like to end his career in Japan...true story. Will never happen. I say he retires. Thought I read something about him wanting to work behind the scenes at Galaxy after this season.

mdc 77
11-21-2012, 08:29 AM
Well sounds like PSG says they will not make an offer to Beckham. Also this may mean nothing but reading into what Beckham said yesterday you could see retirement as an option, while staying on with Galaxy or the league.

I might be stopping here as a player but my commitment to the MLS and commitment to the Galaxy won't change. I still want to grow the sport in this country, I still want to see the excitement that's gone on in the last six years. I've been very proud to have been part of the growth of that.

maninb
11-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Posh does not want to go to Australia. Their league is too much the level or stature of ours. Not enough of a change or challenge for him. PSG is my bet.

EXACTLY!!!! And she's the BOSS in a lot of ways...she's the one who kept him in MLS, when he wanted to give Europe another full-time try....the A-League isn't an option imo....If Celtic makes the knock-out round of UEFA, Becks would be a good addition in the new year....

Oldtimer
11-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Beckham moving to the Cosmos says a "report" (i.e. unconfirmed source):

http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/2012/11/26/is-david-beckham-heading-to-the-nasl-new-york-cosmos/

ensco
11-26-2012, 05:35 PM
^What would make sense to me is that Beckham is buying the Galaxy (or at least bidding on the Galaxy).

Fort York Redcoat
11-27-2012, 07:56 AM
^What would make sense to me is that Beckham is buying the Galaxy (or at least bidding on the Galaxy).

The Galaxy make money don't they? Wouldn't it be in MLS's interest to give him a struggling team his face could sell a bit?

ensco
11-27-2012, 08:29 AM
The Galaxy make money don't they? Wouldn't it be in MLS's interest to give him a struggling team his face could sell a bit?

Yes. But Beckham's career doesn't suggest that he's been overly interested in the Columbus' or Wigans over the world.

It's the timing that makes me think he might end up owning the Galaxy. There is a hidden reason that he made that statement when he did, as opposed to season end.

I know that AEG is for sale, and I know that, in management buyouts, employees often have to resign if they bid on their own company.

Just total speculation, I realize.

Fort York Redcoat
11-27-2012, 08:32 AM
I see that it would take a great city to tempt him. Possibly part of NYRB if the Cosmos come?

brad
11-27-2012, 08:42 AM
I see that it would take a great city to tempt him. Possibly part of NYRB if the Cosmos come?

Cosmos where my thoughts. Becks directly said he's not playing for another MLS team, so it won't be NYRB. I could see it being the Cosmos - an attempt to raise the profile and drum up interest before he buys the team and brings it to the MLS. Ideally, he'd want the Cosmos to be in the MLS when he plays, but not enough time for that I suspect.

Becks as an owner in NY makes sense to me. Largest sports market in the US still predominantly untapped by soccer. Put the big name on it...

Detroit_TFC
11-27-2012, 09:55 AM
DB's ownership option specifically excludes New York, which on the face of it is odd to specifically exclude the largest league market. Red Bull was negotiating at the time to take over the MetroStars so I wonder if that factored in somehow, it must have. Unless the league knew that DB's buddies Byrne and Kemsley were planning to take over the Cosmos shell organization, and prevent DB from getting in with them on that. Strange business all around. I think he'll be part of a consortium that buys AEG and will end up being the LA Galaxy club president.

ensco
11-28-2012, 09:28 AM
My theory of 2 days ago is wrong. He's not staying in LA.

http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/news/celebrity/539622/victoria-beckham-checks-out-schools-in-west-london-after-viewing-properties-in-the-area.html#index=1

ensco
01-31-2013, 11:30 PM
Just from a brand POV, I think a worldwide metrosexual fashionista icon gets more out of Paris than he would from Australia.

I also think this is about business off the pitch, face it the Qataris and Beckham are a match made in heaven (or hell, depending on how you see it!)

The footballing world is thunderstruck ... but ensco isn't :hump:

http://www.psg.fr/en/News/003001/Article/60823/Beckham-signs-for-Paris