View Full Version : Paul Mariner on Soccer Central

[NBF]
11-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Cost cutting moves:

Adrian Cann- 110K
Ty Harden- 90K
Dicoy Williams- 54K

On youngsters released and signed from the academy:

-We try to help the guys find a place to go after they are no longer useful to TFC. We dont just let them go without a direction. LOL

On DP's:

- We got Hassli, Koevermans, and Frings taking up 1.2 million and then after that you gotta divide the rest between the other players.
- Koevermans is unknown as far as his injury.

Scouting:

He's been away from the team since Oct.31st, in Scandinavia and Cyprus, tenders have been made but they're waiting on signitures.

PWNja7skJ2Q

AdamAM
11-17-2012, 04:27 PM
"We are gonna play creative football don't you worry about that" lol okay just as creative as this years hoofball. Only bright spot for me was scouting in Scandinavia. Tons of untapped potential talent there. Maybe he does know something about football? :p

tovan
11-17-2012, 05:25 PM
Perhaps he is scouting the Canadians - Nakajima-Farran and Klukowski - in Cypress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issey_Nakajima-Farran
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Klukowski

ryan
11-17-2012, 07:55 PM
After the 8-1 match, Kluks is dead to me.

Farran is no fit for MLS either.

prizby
11-17-2012, 08:35 PM
;1542742']

Scouting:

He's been away from the team since Oct.31st, in Scandinavia and Cyprus, tenders have been made but they're waiting on signitures.

beer drinking trip

nonc
11-18-2012, 06:17 AM
Perhaps he is scouting the Canadians - Nakajima-Farran and Klukowski - in Cypress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issey_Nakajima-Farran
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Klukowski

Issey is on a 2-year with AEK. Klukowski doesn't make sense for TFC, Morgan is younger, better, cheaper. I actually can't believe Klukowski gets some decent PT with such a big club.

Yohan
11-18-2012, 09:22 AM
Issey is on a 2-year with AEK. Klukowski doesn't make sense for TFC, Morgan is younger, better, cheaper. I actually can't believe Klukowski gets some decent PT with such a big club.

Klukowski was once considered one of best fullback in CONCACAF... Mexico included

Soccerpro
11-18-2012, 12:49 PM
Give me a break. Europe? Why can't we have South American DP's like Columbus and Seattle? or Central Americans like Real Salt Lake?

Richard
11-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Thats a very legitimate question. This organization seems to step out of its way to not deal with SA players. Its like they think there all lazy, have ego issues, party boys and need bribes on the side.

I think other clubs are willing to better man manage some of the more "colourful" SA players. TFC seem to have an issue with this and rather ship them out the second an issue crops up(Plata for one).

Yohan
11-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Give me a break. Europe? Why can't we have South American DP's like Columbus and Seattle? or Central Americans like Real Salt Lake?

just because they are from SA/CA, doesn't mean they will succeed in MLS.

I consider 8 out of 17 European DPs to be a 'success' in MLS. Beckham, Henry, Koevermans, Keane, di Vaio, Tiffert, Nkufo, Rost
10/20 South Americans a 'success'. Fernandez, Montero, Ferreira, Rosales, Morales, Higuain, Barros Scheletto, Mendoza, Angel, Castillo,
3/8 Central Americans a 'success'. Boniek Garcia, Blanco, Saborio

The percentage of 'successful' DPs by region doesn't seem to vary too much.

Chinatownchef
11-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Hey, how about Chris Posniak and Nana Attakora back with TFC? It's a possiblity, cuz both are midfielder/defender and playing in Scandinavia. They're more than capable of handling TFC tasks as they have done so in the past.

nonc
11-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Klukowski was once considered one of best fullback in CONCACAF... Mexico included

I won't argue. De Guzman was an excellent player not that long ago.

DoubleUp
11-18-2012, 04:07 PM

They dont have to be DP's, just a starting 11 player. Its skill level, the players that you can find in south america are younger, cheaper and generally more skillful than anything that will come out of europe.

But if your looking for a Dp its better to go to europe, because the nature of the game they carry themselves with more professionalism.

My thing is why go to Cyprus, when the Greek economy is failing. Do you know how many players are not sure about their future in Greece and would love some guarantees.

Torontotonto
11-18-2012, 08:10 PM
They dont have to be DP's, just a starting 11 player. Its skill level, the players that you can find in south america are younger, cheaper and generally more skillful than anything that will come out of europe.

But if your looking for a Dp its better to go to europe, because the nature of the game they carry themselves with more professionalism.

My thing is why go to Cyprus, when the Greek economy is failing. Do you know how many players are not sure about their future in Greece and would love some guarantees.

He must know what he doing, they are Football powerhouse nations after all.
:facepalm:

This change has got to start at the TOP.
We have already changed everything else the past six years ?

PAOK17
11-18-2012, 09:10 PM

You do realize that Greece and Cyprus are two different countries with completely different economies, right? Actually Cyprus' economy is pretty strong.

Also, the Greek league is stronger than the Cypriot one. So if you were talking about where to go to get talent, I'd say Greece over Cyprus but even then you'd be overpaying. In general, any player you get from Europe you will have to overpay in order to give them the incentives to leave Europe. The best leagues are in Europe and even if you aren't an EPL player, you aren't going to risk your career by going to the still growing MLS. Players receive much more exposure in Europe than they do here.

TFC07
11-19-2012, 12:45 AM
Mariner is full of shit as usual. Too bad ML$E is being cheap to buyout Mariner's contract. I am sure that's only reason why Mariner is still here. Plus, not to make Tommy Boy look bad.

ryan
11-19-2012, 07:58 AM
Thats a very legitimate question. This organization seems to step out of its way to not deal with SA players. Its like they think there all lazy, have ego issues, party boys and need bribes on the side.

I think other clubs are willing to better man manage some of the more "colourful" SA players. TFC seem to have an issue with this and rather ship them out the second an issue crops up(Plata for one).

It's all about appealing to the demographic of the Toronto FC fan, europeans. Large white/euro heritage is the vast majority of fans in the stands.

Besides, SA players like to do things on the ball and Mariner just wants people to kick it around.

What...5 years ago? Dude fell off a cliff.

Yohan
11-19-2012, 08:33 AM
What...5 years ago? Dude fell off a cliff.Maybe since 2010. His stock dropped considerably after he moved to Turkey

Fort York Redcoat
11-19-2012, 11:16 AM

You do realize that Greece and Cyprus are two different countries with completely different economies, right? Actually Cyprus' economy is pretty strong.

Also, the Greek league is stronger than the Cypriot one. So if you were talking about where to go to get talent, I'd say Greece over Cyprus but even then you'd be overpaying. In general, any player you get from Europe you will have to overpay in order to give them the incentives to leave Europe. The best leagues are in Europe and even if you aren't an EPL player, you aren't going to risk your career by going to the still growing MLS. Players receive much more exposure in Europe than they do here.

DU is saying just that. Why go to Cyprus, a smaller league when you may have a chance to cherry pick players in the Greek league.

narduch
11-19-2012, 11:23 AM

Not only that, Cyprus runs a fall/winter season, just like most of Europe. What are the chances he is going to find a player there that is available on a free transfer?

Scandinavia I can sort of understand, as they do run a summer season like MLS. I can understand looking for players there who will soon be out of contract.

Fort York Redcoat
11-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Scandinavia I can sort of understand, as they do run a summer season like MLS. I can understand looking for players there who will soon be out of contract.

Possible pre-season friendlies talk (I hope).

PAOK17
11-19-2012, 11:31 AM
DU is saying just that. Why go to Cyprus, a smaller league when you may have a chance to cherry pick players in the Greek league.
Whoops! My bad. I totally misread that. In my defence, I had just come off a long flight and had no sleep when I posted that. I feel like an idiot, now ha

DoubleUp
11-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Not only that, Cyprus runs a fall/winter season, just like most of Europe. What are the chances he is going to find a player there that is available on a free transfer?

I believe Brazil, and most of the south american leagues just wrapped up its season as well.

jloome
11-19-2012, 01:50 PM

Many Euro players get their January release if they're not playing -- they're told six months ahead, as per Bosman rules, that they're not going to be renewed, so that they can start negotiating with other clubs. So it makes sense to go now AND at the end of the Euro season.

What doesn't make sense is sending your manager. Yes, he should be able to judge talent. But a scout should be a dedicated craft: judge the talent, dig into the player's background, interview past players and associates -- minimize the risk that one of the any number of variables other than the rather nebulously defined "talent" will prevent the player from having success.

This approach --- "ooh, I like this lad. Let's have a punt!" -- is asinine, if that's what it amounts to. I dunno, maybe he's been looking at some of these guys for two years. It wouldn't explain why under Winter he could onyl find us Andy Iro and Giovanni Caicedo, of course.

narduch
11-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Many Euro players get their January release if they're not playing -- they're told six months ahead, as per Bosman rules, that they're not going to be renewed, so that they can start negotiating with other clubs. So it makes sense to go now AND at the end of the Euro season.

What doesn't make sense is sending your manager. Yes, he should be able to judge talent. But a scout should be a dedicated craft: judge the talent, dig into the player's background, interview past players and associates -- minimize the risk that one of the any number of variables other than the rather nebulously defined "talent" will prevent the player from having success.

This approach --- "ooh, I like this lad. Let's have a punt!" -- is asinine, if that's what it amounts to. I dunno, maybe he's been looking at some of these guys for two years. It wouldn't explain why under Winter he could onyl find us Andy Iro and Giovanni Caicedo, of course.

Its still a little early for that 6-month clause to kick in I think, but that is a great point.

And I'm totally in agreement that its not normal for the manager himself going on these trips. But it seems to be a TFC thing (ie Mo Johnston). The kind of player we are trying to grab from these leagues is probably out of favour and isn't even playing. So a scouting trip by the manager is nearly pointless.

I'm still convinced this was a vacation sold as scouting. Maybe Mariner likes the beach (Bermuda, Cyprus)

PAOK17
11-19-2012, 02:02 PM

Getting players from the winter transfer season means that the players tend to be rejects. That's still fine if you're getting players who are rejected from top clubs since they are constantly trying to improve their clubs. However, what kind of player are you expecting to get that is being released/not renewed from Cyprus? Remember, the Cypriot league, like many other leagues in Europe, doesn't have parity. So there is a big drop from the top 3 or so clubs with the rest of the league. Are we going for players being released by APOEL or Ethnicos Achnas?

Now the real reason we are looking at Cyprus/Scandinavia is probably because those are the players that we can afford according to our salary cap. But Europeans don't come cheaply. Like I said before, our best bet is to go for Central American talent since the improved lifestyle is enough of an incentive.

ryan
11-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Now the real reason we are looking at Cyprus/Scandinavia is probably because those are the players that we can afford according to our salary cap. But Europeans don't come cheaply. Like I said before, our best bet is to go for Central American talent since the improved lifestyle is enough of an incentive.

How does that differ from Eastern Europe? Poor countries, tough areas, bankrupt governments and teams who simply DO NOT PAY their players.

nonc
11-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Cypriot first division is nothing to scoff at. They rank ahead of some fairly impressive European leagues. That said, I'm not sure it's the type of league we should be scouting. Most places in Europe you'll be overpaying for talent, regardless of the transfer situation. Serbia and Croatia are a different story though, you wont get much better bang for the buck anywhere else in the world.

PAOK17
11-19-2012, 02:37 PM
How does that differ from Eastern Europe? Poor countries, tough areas, bankrupt governments and teams who simply DO NOT PAY their players.
That does work as well. I'm not so sure that our management have gone there or are planning to go there. Cyprus/Scandinavia are far from Eastern Europe with respect to poor countries.

Rudi
11-19-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm still convinced this was a vacation sold as scouting. Maybe Mariner likes the beach (Bermuda, Cyprus)

I hear the Scandinavian beach scene is bustling at this time of year!

narduch
11-19-2012, 05:00 PM

That was the business part of the trip. Besides, I'm sure they serve beer there.

AdamAM
11-19-2012, 05:01 PM
That's why mentioned Cyprus and not Scandinavia ya twat :p

jloome
11-20-2012, 10:03 PM
That was the business part of the trip. Besides, I'm sure they serve beer there.

Probably offered a deal to Tosaint Ricketts.

Yohan
11-20-2012, 10:35 PM
please no

Cashcleaner
11-21-2012, 04:42 AM

http://crashwilliams.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/sunbathers.jpg

Not so much a "beach" as we know it...

[NBF]
11-21-2012, 11:39 AM

He's not much different than Sammy Nyassi if you ask me. You can wait until someone drops him or his brother to get a fast player with less than stellar finishing and control. The only positive might be that Ricketts is probably a little more durable.