PDA

View Full Version : Sasho Cirovski for new Toronto FC Coach possible GM/Coach

ENBSports
11-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Its been an ongoing twitter campaign by myself but I think by far the best choice to coach Toronto FC is Canadian and currently University of Maryland head coach Sasho Cirovski

He coached Maryland now for 20 seasons - http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/cirovski_sasho00.html and actually coached the North York Rockets back in the day

Team Accomplishments
• 2008, 2005 NCAA Champions
• 17 NCAA postseason appearances with Maryland
• Four Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament championships (1996, 2002, 2008, 2010)
• Six appearances at the College Cup (1998, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008)
• Two NCAA postseason appearances with Hartford
• Two North Atlantic Conference championships
• Two Atlantic Coast Conference regular season titles
• 18 straight winning seasons
• School-record 23 wins in 2008
• School-record 15 shutouts in 2008, 2010
• School-record 66 goals in 2005
Player Honors
• MAC Hermann Trophy winner Jason Garey (2005)
• Two No. 1 picks in the MLS collegiate draft (Leo Cullen, 1998 and Maurice Edu, 2006)
• Two MLS Rookie of the Year selections (Maurice Edu, 12006 and Omar Gonzalez, 2009)
• 44 MLS players
• Four ACC Players of the Year (Leo Cullen, 1997; Jason Garrey, 2005; Chris Seitz, 2006; Omar Gonzalez, 2007)
• One National Freshman of the Year (Taylor Twellman, 1998)
• Two ACC Freshman of the Year (Jeremy Hall, 2006; Patrick Mullins, 2010)
• 32 first team All-ACC selections
• 29 All-America honors
• Four ACC Tournament MVPs (Pierre Venditti, 1996; Abe Thompson, 2002; Jeremy Hall, 2008; Zac MacMath, 2010)

• Eight MAC Hermann Trophy Award finalists

Currently the team is ranked 2nd in the country and 4th seed in this seasons tournament - He likes it at Maryland but if there to win the college cup this season I think that be a good way to go but either/or TFC should make a serious play.

TFC07
11-12-2012, 11:05 PM
He has a great college record, but professional soccer is completely different game though. I hope TFC finds someone else unless they hired Cirovski as an assistant coach (that will be a great role for him then he can work his way up to head coach).

A.J
11-12-2012, 11:18 PM
so... this is just your opinion and not an actual candidate? :S

ENBSports
11-13-2012, 12:07 AM
Ya my opinion to be honest i have been the only one champion this as far as I'm aware - I got Jason DeVos to retweet it during the season after TFC lost bad but that's is as far as it got.

If you look at the history of the MLS the most successful MLS coaches have college experience Arena, Schmid, H (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schellas_Hyndman)yndman, and Portland just signed Porter from Akron. In my opinion the key to MLS success is recruiting and getting a performance out of the 5th best to 25th best player on the squad something TFC has been horrible at doing since it existed and the main reason in my opinion why the club been so poor.

Personally I think I can be a better GM than anyone TFC has had or currently has in the organization and using my ideas the coach itself doesn't matter much. That being said I think Cirovski covers both the understanding of the college game and US youth soccer where 75% of MLS players come from and he has a successful record as a coach. Add to the fact he's Canadian, means you have a great story for the press so for me he's the man for the job.

I know he was in the running for the DC United job when they hired Olson and he probably makes $120-150K a year but in comparison to Hans Bakke which got me to post this he's a way better option.

spark
11-13-2012, 10:17 AM
He probably is a great option, but I think the main issue is whether or not TFC is a fit for him. I can only assume given how long he's been there and how successful his program has been that he pretty much runs the show. I would bet he gets zero interference from an administrative level and the school is more than happy to let him do whatever he needs to make the program successful.

Unless he's never left Maryland or looked beyond NCAA I would gather he has a pretty good idea of what TFC would be like based on conversations with coaches and players.

I just can't imagine him coming here and being told, "Ok so you coach the team but Paul and Earl will be running the show, they have great MLS experience, you can count on them - just do what they say".

I would imagine his arrival would require him to have control of the soccer operations which would mean Earl becoming the Head of Arctic scouting and Paul becoming the new analyst on GOLTV.

TOBOR !
11-13-2012, 10:31 AM
so... this is just your opinion and not an actual candidate? :S

Do your homework. ENB knows his stuff.

This could be a great choice - I daresay he'd get a lot of respect from domestic MLS players as most would know him at least by reputation.

My only concern would be that it doesn't matter who your coach is if Cochrane and/or Mariner are still around.

mastermixer
11-13-2012, 10:59 AM
the key to MLS success is recruiting and getting a performance out of the 5th best to 25th best player on the squad something TFC has been horrible at doing since it existed

Sooooo true!

AdamAM
11-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Not in a billion years would we be able to get him. This guy knows football, so he'll be able to smell our BS from a mile away

jloome
11-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Not in a billion years would we be able to get him. This guy knows football, so he'll be able to smell our BS from a mile away

Not sure it's rational to conclude anything about Anselmi except that whomever he gets will offer him political insulation. This isn't that kind of candidate.

More likely, he's chasing Steve Nichol on the dream of teaming him up with Mariner again; I rather suspect he'll find there's a reason Mariner left two years before Nichol, and it wasn't because the two are buddies and didn't want to compete for the same role.

Phil
11-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Not sure it's rational to conclude anything about Anselmi except that whomever he gets will offer him political insulation. This isn't that kind of candidate.

More likely, he's chasing Steve Nichol on the dream of teaming him up with Mariner again; I rather suspect he'll find there's a reason Mariner left two years before Nichol, and it wasn't because the two are buddies and didn't want to compete for the same role.

I always find myself wondering if Nichol and Mariner got along as well as we thought. Seeing Mariner now, I can gleen that there may have been some personality issues there.

TOBOR !
11-13-2012, 12:59 PM
actually, kudos to ENBSports ; for posting this thread.

At least now there's a chance TFC will find out about this guy - no way they would have done so otherwise.

drexel10
11-14-2012, 07:44 PM
I believe Sasho's wife coaches the women's team (ex US national player) and this would make leaving difficult. I have played against his teams a few times and he is/was a great coach that has always been successful. Before Maryland, which was terrible when he got there, he took Hartford to the tournament his 2 years he was coaching there.