PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Hans Backe for President/Coach?

AdamAM
11-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Hans Backe was released a couple of days ago by NY. I would be glad to take him in as coach/president :p

maxpower
11-11-2012, 02:10 PM
No. Not in a million fucking years would I want this. First of all, he really didn't do that well considering the squad he had in NY. Secondly, as a Franchise( as much as i hate that we are one) we've always attempted to be a sort of NY lite;always trying to sign big name players and brand ourselves as a global team ( as much as one can in the MLS). This has led our FO to neglect what is actually happening on the field and whats happening in the stands.

Peter Wilt for President.

jloome
11-12-2012, 01:32 AM
No. Not in a million fucking years would I want this. First of all, he really didn't do that well considering the squad he had in NY. Secondly, as a Franchise( as much as i hate that we are one) we've always attempted to be a sort of NY lite;always trying to sign big name players and brand ourselves as a global team ( as much as one can in the MLS). This has led our FO to neglect what is actually happening on the field and whats happening in the stands.

Peter Wilt for President.

I keep seeing people suggest Peter Wilt and I know Chicago fans love him, but he's had three failed soccer ventures since those days. Is he the guy? Maybe we could do better. His wiki page says he contacted the club this year about the position, it's notable.

TFC07
11-12-2012, 11:35 AM
I keep seeing people suggest Peter Wilt and I know Chicago fans love him, but he's had three failed soccer ventures since those days. Is he the guy? Maybe we could do better. His wiki page says he contacted the club this year about the position, it's notable.

Thank you. I don't get this love for Peter Wilt. We need a president who has real track record of establishing a successful club. It doesn't matter if president has "North American experience" or not (which is funny because Peter Wilt only has American experience...lol). MLSE got the money to get that type of president. People here need to stop having such low standards when comes to building this team.

narduch
11-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Peter Wilt's name oftern comes up because there have been media members rooting for him (Rollins is an example).

I wouldn't mind if it was Wilt or Backe. Or someone of similar ilk.

We should be aiming for the type of guy NYRB hired to replace Backe.

But with Anselmi + MLSE invovled, I am not expecting a good hire in this position.

jabbronies
11-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Thank you. I don't get this love for Peter Wilt. We need a president who has real track record of establishing a successful club. It doesn't matter if president has "North American experience" or not (which is funny because Peter Wilt only has American experience...lol). MLSE got the money to get that type of president. People here need to stop having such low standards when comes to building this team.

I keep hearing this from people but I never hear a name attached to it.

Couchy81
11-12-2012, 12:16 PM
I think it's more important to think about what the new guy can do for the team going forward.

moralis
11-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Interesting article from Soccer By Ives about the dysfunction at the New York Red Bulls:

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/11/another-nightmare-ending-has-red-bulls-facing-uncertain-future.html

http://www.onceametro.com/2012/11/11/3633518/ives-drops-a-bomb-shell

After reading his article, I would not sign Hans Backe.

TFC07
11-12-2012, 01:45 PM

Hard to know who exactly is out there ( like there's list of available soccer presidents out there lol), but we need someone like Daniel Levy to run TFC. A guy who actually knows soccer and has the balls to make real changes and not get caught up with politics going on in TFC FO.

Lennon
11-12-2012, 03:22 PM
We shoulda gone with Cruyff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordi_Cruyff)and Winter instead of Mariner and Winter .. too late now.

From April, 2012:

Jordi Cruijff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordi_Cruyff) former Holland NT and son of legendary Johan Cruijff is the new technical manager of Maccabi Tel Aviv.
Cruijff who as a player had passages through Barcelona and Ajax youth and later made a career at Manchester United, Celta, Alaves, Espanyol, Metalurgh Donetsk only to retire at Maltese club Valetta, was sporting director of Cyprus club AEK Larnaca which managed impressive results including a Europa League debut (playing against Maccabi Haifa in the group stage).

Still early days, but after finishing 6th in the league last year, Maccabi Tel Aviv sits 1st in the table after 9 games played.

Code Red
11-12-2012, 09:45 PM
I voted yes. His MLS record speaks for itself.

41 wins, 31 draws, 26 losses

-Led NYRB to a 1st place finish in the East Conference in 2010 (his inaugural season with NYRB) + Quarter-Finals
-5th place in 2011 + Quarter-Finals
-3rd place in 2012 + Quarter-Finals

Knowing TFC, there is virtually no chance of him coming here. I would gladly eat crow if Anselmi proved me wrong.

maninb
11-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Great idea...lets get MLS retreads/hasbeens like Wilts or Backe.....Why not wait and get MoJo?

ryan
11-13-2012, 09:59 AM

I don't even get why it's being said. Experience in doing so, no experience at all, neither guarantee anything. There's no guarantee in sports other than Toronto teams sucking balls and paying too much to see it.

The conditions don't exist for anyone to succeed. This is the root problem. Hiring "whatever fucking manager you want" is a bandage. We do need a bandage to help stop the bleeding, but we're suicidal and keep cutting ourselves, so what fucking good are bandages anyways? Doesn't matter how great that bandage is at stopping the flow, or if it's some new experimental one, it can't stop the "why" we are bleeding in the first place.

Super
11-13-2012, 12:16 PM
I voted yes. His MLS record speaks for itself.

41 wins, 31 draws, 26 losses

-Led NYRB to a 1st place finish in the East Conference in 2010 (his inaugural season with NYRB) + Quarter-Finals
-5th place in 2011 + Quarter-Finals
-3rd place in 2012 + Quarter-Finals

Knowing TFC, there is virtually no chance of him coming here. I would gladly eat crow if Anselmi proved me wrong.

Speaks for itself. TFC has a history of picking managers with ZERO experience at the top level. Sadly it's not just an MLSE problem. I know plenty of supporters who would be happy to take on yet another assistant, youth coach, whatever, and so the failures will continue. I think we need to try and get an experienced manager - at least ONE TIME. Let's just try it.

Code Red
11-13-2012, 06:55 PM
Speaks for itself. TFC has a history of picking managers with ZERO experience at the top level. Sadly it's not just an MLSE problem. I know plenty of supporters who would be happy to take on yet another assistant, youth coach, whatever, and so the failures will continue. I think we need to try and get an experienced manager - at least ONE TIME. Let's just try it.

Yup and that is why they find themselves as the laughing stock of the league. If Backe was to take the reigns here there is no doubt in my mind that he would be more successful than any other previous TFC coach. Hell he would even make a fine GM/President but obviously his strenghts are his coaching abilities. His success didn't originate in NY either, it followed him from Europe. Unfortunately, MLSE are too clueless to realize that this man breeds winning teams. No worries though, another mediocre coach is on the way soon.

Detroit_TFC
11-14-2012, 03:57 PM
His unwillingness or inability to get rid of Rafa Marquez permanently removes him from consideration of any job anywhere doing anything.

Super
11-15-2012, 10:50 AM
Let's not be stupid about Hans Backe, though. The man has won titles. NONE of the coaches we've had has won ANYTHING - let alone had a job at the top level for longer than a buck and a half. We'd be lucky to get Backe. But unfortunately many of the TFC supporters appear to have been infected by the poor decision making of MLSE - and would rather take on Jim Brennan, or perhaps a youth coach from the NASL, before they'd take on a guy who won titles, and led teams into the Champions League. He was assistant at Man City and Mexico as well - and he took the NYRB into the play-offs.

HUGE yes to Hans Backe. Bring a wheelbarrow of money if you have to.

Yohan
11-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Let's not be stupid about Hans Backe, though. The man has won titles. NONE of the coaches we've had has won ANYTHING - let alone had a job at the top level for longer than a buck and a half. We'd be lucky to get Backe. But unfortunately many of the TFC supporters appear to have been infected by the poor decision making of MLSE - and would rather take on Jim Brennan, or perhaps a youth coach from the NASL, before they'd take on a guy who won titles, and led teams into the Champions League. He was assistant at Man City and Mexico as well - and he took the NYRB into the play-offs.

HUGE yes to Hans Backe. Bring a wheelbarrow of money if you have to.

Backe's only success was in Danish league, and a lot of that with FC Copenhagen, which at the time was Danish version of Man U.

I'd argue that NYRB made the playoffs despite Backe's tactics. Team loaded with star players like Henry and Cooper, you have to try really hard to fail. If you thought Mariner's tactics are questionable, wait until you see some of Backe's

Super
11-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Backe's only success was in Danish league, and a lot of that with FC Copenhagen, which at the time was Danish version of Man U.

I'd argue that NYRB made the playoffs despite Backe's tactics. Team loaded with star players like Henry and Cooper, you have to try really hard to fail. If you thought Mariner's tactics are questionable, wait until you see some of Backe's

Actually Backe won the Danish league at Aalborg before joining FC Copenhagen + took them to two cup finals as well. He won 2 titles with FC Copenhagen. He also did really well in Sweden, and managed some big clubs - including AIK.

But I guess he's not good enough for the worst team in the history of the MLS. We'd rather hire assistants. No wonder we're garbage.

CoachGT
11-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Just as an interesting tidbit, I had heard about issues with the way that the Red Bulls dealt with scouting, academy and player issues, that perhaps it was not the best. To the point that most of their scouts were released about 18 months ago. One of their former scouts is a good friend of mine.

I find it very interesting to see in the current issue of Soccer Journal, the magazine of the National Soccer Coaches Association of America, a full page ad taken out by NYRB looking for academy coaches, stating the preferred qualifications, how to get in touch and where interviews will be taking place! Seems that they are trying to rebuild their academy!