PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2013 TFC Pre Season Thread

Yohan
11-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Because the details of Mickey Mouse Cup is already out, well, mostly

Mickey Mouse Cup, aka Walt Disney World Pro Soccer Classic 2013 (Feb 9-23)
-Philadelphia Union
-Montreal Impact
-DC United
-Sporting Kansas City
-Tampa Bay Rowdies
-Orlando City
-Toronto FC
http://www.rowdiessoccer.com/index.php?id=52&newsid=3504

Waiting for 6th MLS team to be announced. Maybe Vancouver, the defending champs?

reggie
11-08-2012, 03:48 PM
yess..a mickey mouse tourney for a mickey mouse club,and its not far from bermuda...

Canary10
11-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Because the details of Mickey Mouse Cup is already out, well, mostly

Mickey Mouse Cup, aka Walt Disney World Pro Soccer Classic 2013 (Feb 9-23)
-Philadelphia Union
-Montreal Impact
-DC United
-Sporting Kansas City
-Tampa Bay Rowdies
-Orlando City
-Toronto FC
http://www.rowdiessoccer.com/index.php?id=52&newsid=3504

Waiting for 6th MLS team to be announced. Maybe Vancouver, the defending champs?

Should be an interesting grudge match between a (possibly) Paul Mariner led Toronto FC and an Adrian Heath led Orlando City.

Yohan
11-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Should be an interesting grudge match between a (possibly) Paul Mariner led Toronto FC and an Adrian Heath led Orlando City.

if it's anything like last year, the teams will be split into 2 groups, so TFC might not even play Orlando City

lobo
11-08-2012, 05:30 PM
if it's anything like last year, the teams will be split into 2 groups, so TFC might not even play Orlando City

nice, already predicting we don't advance out of our mickey mouse group lol

JayMolly
11-08-2012, 05:35 PM
nice, already predicting we don't advance out of our mickey mouse group lol

Enough is enough, who cut the cheese?

ArmenJBX
11-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Why is every thread an official thread? :D

Dave67
11-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Saw Tampa Bay play in the home leg of the NASL final in St Petersburg. Fun team to watch. I'd like to see them play TFC. I'd be interested to see if Carl Cort could be handled by our defense.

Fort York Redcoat
11-09-2012, 07:34 AM
Mickey Mouse teams want into MLS. If they keep bigging up this tourney it's just a matter of time. Will they market teams to Snowbirds this time around?

Dave67
11-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Mickey Mouse teams want into MLS. If they keep bigging up this tourney it's just a matter of time. Will they market teams to Snowbirds this time around?

I wouldn't put Tampa Bay in as a Mickey Mouse team. I just saw the one game last month but for it they had solid support. 6K plus in an old baseball stadium is a good number. Their supporters group was organized and strong. The level of play exceeded most of what we saw last season from TFC.

Granted it was the home leg of the playoff final, so I saw Tampa at it's best, but they definitely had a strong group there that were nowhere near snowbird age.

bigredone
11-09-2012, 09:36 AM
I really look forward to this. Should be fun and any chance we get to beat up on Montreal I will take.

It is not easy being positive, but hell, GO TFC!!!!!

cochrdoc
11-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Any time I`ve watched us play Orlando they were a handful .Our record against NASL and USL is not so great.I thought the academy players and subs held their own vs Vancouver last year but Mariner doesn`t think they were good enough for any playing time at the end of the season.

Yohan
11-30-2012, 10:35 AM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/11/crew-to-take-part-in-2013-world-walt-disney-world-pro-soccer-classic-in-orlando.html

The last MLS team in the Mickey Mouse Cup is Columbus

Oldtimer
11-30-2012, 11:36 AM

Yohan's threads are always official threads. :) Usually his thread ideas are spot on, and we end up stickying them.

The Limpact and the KKKrew should be good grudge matches.

GuelphStorm2007
12-07-2012, 01:06 AM
I guess they are no longer doing that South Carolina thing. In Charleston

Yohan
12-13-2012, 01:56 AM
Mickey Mouse Cup Schedule

Saturday, February 9, 2013:
1:00 p.m.: Columbus Crew vs. Toronto FC
3:00 p.m.: Montreal Impact vs. Sporting Kansas City
6:00 p.m.: Orlando City SC vs. Philadelphia Union
8:00 p.m.: D.C. United vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies
Wednesday, February 13, 2013:
1:00 p.m.: Philadelphia Union vs. Columbus Crew
3:00 p.m.: Tampa Bay Rowdies vs. Montreal Impact
6:00 p.m.: Sporting Kansas City vs. D.C. United
8:00 p.m.: Toronto FC vs. Orlando City SC
Saturday, February 16, 2013:
1:00 p.m.: Montreal Impact vs. D.C. United
3:00 p.m.: Philadelphia Union vs. Toronto FC
6:00 p.m.: Orlando City SC vs. Columbus Crew
8:00 p.m.: Tampa Bay Rowdies vs. Sporting Kansas City
Pro Soccer Classic Championship Day – Saturday, February 23, 2013:
1:00 p.m.: Group A Fourth Place vs. Group B Fourth Place
3:00 p.m.: Group A Third Place vs. Group B Third Place
6:00 p.m.: Group A Second Place vs. Group B Second Place
8:00 p.m.: Group A First Place vs. Group B First Place

jloome
12-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Saw Tampa Bay play in the home leg of the NASL final in St Petersburg. Fun team to watch. I'd like to see them play TFC. I'd be interested to see if Carl Cort could be handled by our defense.
I remember him at Wimbledon about a decade ago. Must be getting on, and he was very much a Heskey-type strength player. But then again, he didn't rely on speed, so maybe that gives him an advantage in playing longer.

Dave67
12-13-2012, 07:21 PM
I remember him at Wimbledon about a decade ago. Must be getting on, and he was very much a Heskey-type strength player. But then again, he didn't rely on speed, so maybe that gives him an advantage in playing longer.

He's old and his knees are suspect. But he is a physical beast and knows where and how to pass a ball. He does not lose balls in the air. It would be fun to watch him play against us in a preseason warm up.

Yohan
01-20-2013, 12:17 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/01/reds-report-preseason

http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/toronto/files/imagecache/620x350/image_nodes/2013/01/LSDK620.jpg

Koev looks good. Already doing runs. Hopefully he'll be back early in the season.

TFCwestcan
01-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Let the glimpses of new players on crappy web streams begin.

Alonso
01-20-2013, 05:57 PM
ArmenJBX

Yohan's threads are always official threads. :) Usually his thread ideas are spot on, and we end up stickying them.

The Limpact and the KKKrew should be good grudge matches.

Yes but who officiates the officiality of the "Official" moniker?

What mechanisms are in place to prevent the dilution of the "Official" moniker by over officiating with too many official threads?

NEVERMIND.........

It's a stupid question... I've clearly had too many of these: :drinking:

And half of one of these: :stogey:

Derko
01-20-2013, 06:47 PM

What mechanisms are in place to prevent the dilution of the "Official" moniker by over officiating with too many official threads?

NEVERMIND.........

It's a stupid question... I've clearly had too many of these: :drinking:

And half of one of these: :stogey:

Alonso, pay attention son, lol

Oldtimer
01-20-2013, 10:11 PM

Maybe we need an official poll for what constitutes an official thread? :lol:

Greatest Ripoff
01-20-2013, 11:43 PM
Will Toronto unveil the new kit before the first match at the Disney tournament on Feb 9th or play with the old kit?

flamehawk
01-21-2013, 12:28 AM
Will Toronto unveil the new kit before the first match at the Disney tournament on Feb 9th or play with the old kit?

In the past, we have just used our training kits. I am expecting the same this year.

West220Side
01-21-2013, 05:35 AM
In the past, we have just used our training kits. I am expecting the same this year.

In the past we've gone into pre-season and at this point having a thread with a list of about 20+ names of guys who you have to wikipedia to get information on being with us. Probably why we've used training kits.

maninb
01-21-2013, 11:08 AM
So Nelsen will be coming to TFC in March according to Payne....excellent...

Joe Kool
01-21-2013, 11:15 AM
So Nelsen will be coming to TFC in March according to Payne....excellent...

He is going to be here starting end of January according to someone who heard him speak at a sponsor breakfast this morning....guess we will see soon enough if true.

Yohan
01-21-2013, 05:10 PM
dear media, please ask question about trialists because most teams in MLS have a couple... few interesting names

Luanda
01-21-2013, 10:30 PM
"I read the news today, oh boy...."

Yohan
01-28-2013, 05:17 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/live

MLS friendlies shown live, incl TFC's Mickey Mouse Cup games

9 Feb
Toronto vs Columbus, 1pm

13 Feb
Toronto vs Orlando, 8pm

16 Feb
Toronto vs Philadelphia, 3pm

Yohan
01-29-2013, 08:41 PM
Anyone know if TFC has more friendlies planned? 3 games seems not much

Greatest Ripoff
01-29-2013, 10:14 PM
Anyone know if TFC has more friendlies planned? 3 games seems not much

I read somewhere (twitter?) that they are going to have 3 or 4 more matches while in Florida. One with another MLS team and the others against college teams.

notthesun
01-30-2013, 12:58 PM
I read somewhere (twitter?) that they are going to have 3 or 4 more matches while in Florida. One with another MLS team and the others against college teams.

Can't find it but I remember reading this as well.

Yohan
01-30-2013, 12:59 PM
I think it's Larson's twitter

tfcmanu
01-31-2013, 09:44 AM
Gerry Dobson ‏@SNGerryDobson Payne says they'll take several academy players to Florida camp with a hope of giving them first team contracts. He says they're that good.

Greatest Ripoff
01-31-2013, 09:52 AM
Gerry Dobson ‏@SNGerryDobsonPayne says they'll take several academy players to Florida camp with a hope of giving them first team contracts. He says they're that good.

Any guesses? Maybe Pasher or Camargo?

Yohan
01-31-2013, 10:55 AM
Any guesses? Maybe Pasher or Camargo?
I'm guessing any kids that got consistent time with reserve team last season

MartinUtd
01-31-2013, 11:04 AM
I'm guessing any kids that got consistent time with reserve team last season

Is there anywhere we can look for player stats from last years academy? TorontoFC.ca doesn't help much.

Greatest Ripoff
01-31-2013, 11:46 AM
Is there anywhere we can look for player stats from last years academy? TorontoFC.ca doesn't help much.

Here are all goal score isn the CLS first division (TFC senior academy)

http://canadiansoccerleague.com/newsnet/templates/?a=587&z=3

CLS second devision (TFC junior academy)

http://canadiansoccerleague.com/schedules/res_stats-ex.htm

Note: I read in the comment section on CSN that Tre Corsby left the TFC and joined FC Erzgebirge Aue.

ryan
01-31-2013, 12:01 PM
Gerry Dobson ‏@SNGerryDobsonPayne says they'll take several academy players to Florida camp with a hope of giving them first team contracts. He says they're that good.

Wasn't it previously stated no academy kids would be getting contracts this year? Or something to that effect?

jloome
01-31-2013, 12:01 PM
Pasher you would think is a dead lock, given how well he played in the Liverpool friendly.

gdg_9
01-31-2013, 12:04 PM
Pasher you would think is a dead lock, given how well he played in the Liverpool friendly.

What is Pasher's best/most natural position in the back line?

Greatest Ripoff
01-31-2013, 12:06 PM
Wasn't it previously stated no academy kids would be getting contracts this year? Or something to that effect?

I believe that is what was said when Mariner and Cochrane were running the show before Payne arrived.

ag futbol
01-31-2013, 12:06 PM
Gerry Dobson ‏@SNGerryDobson Payne says they'll take several academy players to Florida camp with a hope of giving them first team contracts. He says they're that good.
Amazing what happens when captain short pants isn't running the show. Academy suddenly went from not being good enough to potentially having players make the full roster.

TFC should have Jordan Hamilton in mind. U17 is coming up, we need to protect our assets and learn from what happened last time.

Otherwise I think camargo and Omari Morris are good names to bring along. Not too into Prasher from what I've seen. But anyway haven't watched anyone enough to have a well founded opinion.

Greatest Ripoff
01-31-2013, 12:07 PM

I've only ever seen him played at leftback. I didn't see the liverpool game but he looked real good with the reserves and was one of the standout players for the academy matches I saw.

PopePouri
01-31-2013, 12:07 PM
Amazing what happens when captain short pants isn't running the show. Academy suddenly went from not being good enough to potentially having players make the full roster.

TFC should have Jordan Hamilton in mind. U17 is coming up, we need to protect our assets and learn from what happened last time.

Otherwise I think camargo and Omari Morris are good names to bring along. Not too into Prasher from what I've seen. But anyway haven't watched anyone enough to have a well founded opinion.

Morris is at Akron so Camargo most likely.

Greatest Ripoff
01-31-2013, 12:12 PM

Morris looked pretty good last year but he has gone of to Akron to play NCAA. Hopefully he'll back playing during the summer.

I haven't seen Hamilton other than 1 reserve match but I've also heard good things about Wadid. He is another forward who played with Hamiton for the junior academy last year. Wadid got 16 goals in 14 games, while Hamilton got 9 in 12.

Yohan
01-31-2013, 12:14 PM
Morris looked pretty good last year but he has gone of to Akron to play NCAA. Hopefully he'll back playing during the summer.

Even without Caleb Porter, Akron is going to be a good team and TFC will have HG rights to Morris.

ryan
01-31-2013, 12:15 PM
I believe that is what was said when Mariner and Cochrane were running the show before Payne arrived.

Kind of where I was going with that comment...

:D

gdg_9
01-31-2013, 12:20 PM

I've only ever seen him played at leftback. I didn't see the liverpool game but he looked real good with the reserves and was one of the standout players for the academy matches I saw.

Could be an option behind Morgan. Although I'd still like to see them sign a more veteran backup who can help mentor Morgan (a Jazic type for example)

jazzy
01-31-2013, 10:43 PM
Could be an option behind Morgan. Although I'd still like to see them sign a more veteran backup who can help mentor Morgan (a Jazic type for example)

think RNelson can do that....

Greatest Ripoff
02-01-2013, 07:57 PM
So they have arrived in Orlando but no word of who traveled with yet?

Soccerpro
02-01-2013, 09:48 PM

I haven't seen Hamilton other than 1 reserve match but I've also heard good things about Wadid. He is another forward who played with Hamiton for the junior academy last year. Wadid got 16 goals in 14 games, while Hamilton got 9 in 12.

Morris didn't play a single minute at Akron this year. He has quite a way to go.

Greatest Ripoff
02-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Morris didn't play a single minute at Akron this year. He has quite a way to go.

I had looked at his stats about halfway through the NCAA season and was disappointed (and surprised) to see that. He looked really dynamic and dangerous playing against men in the CSL.

jloome
02-02-2013, 12:23 PM
I had looked at his stats about halfway through the NCAA season and was disappointed (and surprised) to see that. He looked really dynamic and dangerous playing against men in the CSL.

That's astounding. They must have red-shirted him or something. Not possible that he couldn't make an NCAA team's lineup, even a good one.

notthesun
02-02-2013, 01:56 PM

Wow, I read this, recognized the name (Wadid), and sure enough I went to elementary and high school with that kid. Not sure how I didn't realize he was on TFCA, much less doing so well. Can't say I'm surprised though, kid's got great ball skills and a good shot, probably our best player on the senior team despite still being eligible to play junior.

I see he's been promoted to the Senior TFCA team and invited to Canada's U-18 camp. I wouldn't be shocked if he was invited to camp with our lack of depth at forward.

Ajax TFC
02-03-2013, 01:47 PM
does anyone know what numbers the new players are wearing? I saw that Bekker has #8. I also saw someone else wearing #9, but I couldn't see who it was.

Greatest Ripoff
02-03-2013, 04:01 PM
does anyone know what numbers the new players are wearing? I saw that Bekker has #8. I also saw someone else wearing #9, but I couldn't see who it was.

55 is Cesar.

Can someone tweet TFC and ask if they ever plan on releasing a list of everyone in the camp?

flamehawk
02-03-2013, 06:43 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2013/02/03/ryan-nelsen-february-3-2013

If people are interested in how the team is shaping up, there's clips of the goals from today's inter-squad scrimmage in the interview with Nelsen. Good finish by hall, and good combination by Welshman and Bennett

Morlesio14
02-03-2013, 07:37 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2013/02/03/ryan-nelsen-february-3-2013

If people are interested in how the team is shaping up, there's clips of the goals from today's inter-squad scrimmage in the interview with Nelsen. Good finish by hall, and good combination by Welshman and Bennett

Cool vid. Nice goal by Hall. If there's any highlights from the preseason games I don't care if they're crappy or not please post them. I have a hockey tournament.

sashavukelich
02-03-2013, 08:21 PM
^^ Ashton Bennet looks a player eh!?!?! Let's get the kid all signed up

Morlesio14
02-03-2013, 08:23 PM
^^ Ashton Bennet looks a player eh!?!?! Let's get the kid all signed up

Does he have a green card? Hopefully he does

sashavukelich
02-03-2013, 08:26 PM
He is eligible for Canadian Residency through a parent i believe. They discussed that at the Combine and that's part of the reason he went as low as he did at the draft.

PopePouri
02-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Canadian residency.

sashavukelich
02-03-2013, 08:32 PM
under the 'personal' segment.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/ashton-bennett

Yohan
02-06-2013, 06:37 PM
2 - Logan Emory - D
3 - Danny Califf - D
4 - Doneil Henry - D
5 - Ashtone Morgan - D
6 - Gale Agbossoumonde - D
8 - Kyle Bekker - M
9 - Emery Welshman - F
11 - Luis Silva - M
12 - Joe Bendik - GK
14 - Danny Koevermans - F
15 - Matt Stinson - M
17 - Justin Braun - F
19 - Reggie Lambe - F
20 - Jose Gomez - M (*)
21 - Nik Robson - M (*)
22 - Torsten Frings - M
23 - Terry Dunfield - M
24 - Stefan Frei - GK
25 - Jeremy Hall - D
26 - Ashton Bennett - F (*)
27 - Richard Eckersley - D
28 - Taylor Morgan - F (*)
31 - Joevin Jones - D/M (T)
32 - Andrew Wiedeman (F)
35 - Jonathan Osorio - M (A)
36 - Daniel Fabrizi - D (A)
37 - Derrick Bassi - D (A)
40 - Quillan Roberts - GK
48 - Darren O'Dea - D
55 - Julio Cesar - M

* Supplemental Draft Pick
A Academy Player
T Trialist

ag futbol
02-06-2013, 07:20 PM
At least one of the brazilians from Atlanta is in camp as well (I assume). Welshman in his interview says he passed the ball out wide to Pedro , assume he's referring to Pedro Mendes.

elironico
02-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Actually, Welshman says "Pablo". Whoever Pablo is, he was wearing #18, which isn't listed. I asked (unnamed communications officer) directly about Pablo, he said he couldn't name players in for a "cup of coffee".

mowe
02-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Yeah the site makes it pretty clear these 30 are the only players in camp right now. Anyone else who might've been there has left.

Given our lack of wide players (to put it lightly), Joevin Jones seems a likely signing.

Yohan
02-06-2013, 08:59 PM
Yeah the site makes it pretty clear these 30 are the only players in camp right now. Anyone else who might've been there has left.

Given our lack of wide players (to put it lightly), Joevin Jones seems a likely signing.
esp since Jones is getting a 2nd look. Though his youtube vids aren't anything special considering he plays in T&T league

KGH
02-06-2013, 10:17 PM

With 30 in camp there should be a minimum of 6 cuts (2 cuts to get us to 28 for the allocation $):

20 - Jose Gomez - M (*)
21 - Nik Robson - M (*)

Of the 8 "trialists" I would imagine Bennett stays + maybe one of the academy kids signed as a homegrown.

That would leave 4 open roster spots to bring additional signings in.

jloome
02-06-2013, 10:40 PM
With 30 in camp there should be a minimum of 6 cuts (2 cuts to get us to 28 for the allocation $):

20 - Jose Gomez - M (*)
21 - Nik Robson - M (*)

Of the 8 "trialists" I would imagine Bennett stays + maybe one of the academy kids signed as a homegrown.

That would leave 4 open roster spots to bring additional signings in.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's three signings, or even two, and they keep Gomez and Morgan as well.

PopePouri
02-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Interesting that all academy players are over 20 which seems like a shift from getting all academy players as they come out of high school. I think you'll see more homegrown players being signed out of college and I wouldn't be surprised if both Camargo and Pasher end up there.

I'd be interested to see Osorio who was CSL rookie of the year last year, beating out Camargo.

19Barrett19
02-06-2013, 11:19 PM
I have a friend from Compton California played with Gomez and said to me that he is a beast. In Gringo terms really good. He said he is a very unselfish player with very good technical ability. Hope he plays on Sat. would love to take a closer look at him.

Greatest Ripoff
02-06-2013, 11:25 PM
maybe one of the academy kids signed as a homegrown.

Can any of those "kids" be signed as homegrown. Don't you need to have been with team for a few years to be signed as a homegrown player? Have these guys even been with Toronto for a few weeks?

Yohan
02-06-2013, 11:34 PM
Can any of those "kids" be signed as homegrown. Don't you need to have been with team for a few years to be signed as a homegrown player? Have these guys even been with Toronto for a few weeks?
min 1 yr in club's youth academy

Yohan
02-06-2013, 11:36 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it's three signings, or even two, and they keep Gomez and Morgan as well.
i thin it will be Gomez and Bennett. Simply because Morgan cost an Int spot IIRC

jloome
02-07-2013, 02:00 AM
i thin it will be Gomez and Bennett. Simply because Morgan cost an Int spot IIRC

Perhaps, yes. Suppose it depends what he shows, but it hurts his chances.

I notice no one has been assigned number 10. Suggests one Payne's signings is a striker or hole player.

jloome
02-07-2013, 02:04 AM
Perhaps, yes. Suppose it depends what he shows, but it hurts his chances.

I notice no one has been assigned number 10. Suggests one Payne's signings is a striker or hole player.

I'm betting we sign Alex Lopez before the week is out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_L%C3%B3pez

Yohan
02-07-2013, 02:27 AM
I'm betting we sign Alex Lopez before the week is out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_López
as young DP? makes total sense

cochrdoc
02-07-2013, 05:09 AM
Gomez was offered a contract in Mexico before going to college.He was considered a higher draft pick then Bekker and Welshman earlier in the year.Some had him as high as 1.Bennett has better stats then Welsman in college and was also considered a first round pick.Hopefully they get a good look

veenstram
02-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Anybody have info on the Argentine Trialist announced on Twitter today? Cabrera?

Yohan
02-11-2013, 12:07 AM
http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2013/02/10/stefan-frei-february-10-2013

I thought Frei's nose was still crocked for a moment. Looks good to go though, other than the fact that he's no longer pretty boy

Yohan
02-11-2013, 02:31 AM
So Taylor Morgan is 6'3" and used to do track and field... a striker who can hold the ball up and fast? Certainly has the athletic part down

Even if he doesn't make it in MLS, he'll for sure get a look at D2/D3 level, or maybe back in England based upon his size alone.

Yohan
02-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Toronto FC ‏@torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc)
#TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) training update 1/2: Stefan Frei suffered a broken nose during Saturday's game, will require surgery to reset it.

#TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) training update 2/2: Frei's surgery will take place in Orlando on Tuesday.

ManUtd4ever
02-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Frei has had the worst luck imaginable with this team over the last couple of years. Sigh.

Technorgasm
02-11-2013, 12:36 PM
is lambe to be deployed out wide, or up front?

I confuse.

barticusz
02-11-2013, 01:14 PM
Hey all, I didnt' get to watch the first match.. what sort of formation is Nelson using?

Detroit_TFC
02-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Just had a panic attack thinking about possibility of TFC not actually signing anyone before the season starts.

Alonso
02-11-2013, 01:48 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2013/02/10/stefan-frei-february-10-2013

I thought Frei's nose was still crocked for a moment. Looks good to go though, other than the fact that he's no longer pretty boy

Yeah it's a good thing that you don't need your nose to catch, head or kick the ball.

He'll be fine.

Joe Kool
02-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Hey all, I didnt' get to watch the first match.. what sort of formation is Nelson using?

Here is the game if you want to watch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmHBL-rVI1U&feature=plcp

Ultra & Proud
02-11-2013, 02:04 PM

You can watch the match on Youtube (link posted earlier here and on TFC's page) but it was a high pressure 4-4-1-1 for the most part and seemed to switch into a more 4-2-3-1 in the second half when Nelsen hit the bench hard. Wednesday will probably give a little more insight. Hopefully we have some new bodies in by Saturday.

Ultra & Proud
02-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Yeah it's a good thing that you don't need your nose to catch, head or kick the ball.

He'll be fine.

Wonder if he'll be sporting one of these: http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_606w/WashingtonPost/Content/Blogs/early-lead/Images/Timberwolves_Lakers_Basketball_0ef06.jpg?uuid=SKDA amOqEeG1HAHZE1E9Yw

barticusz
02-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Just had a panic attack thinking about possibility of TFC not actually signing anyone before the season starts.

Possibility? I'm pretty sure that's a certainty at this point.

TFC07
02-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Isn't anyone questioning why TFC are playing so little amount of games in preseason?

mowe
02-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Isn't anyone questioning why TFC are playing so little amount of games in preseason?

This is a big concern for me, I'm having flashbacks to 2012. They really need to play a couple college teams before heading down to Florida.

ag futbol
02-12-2013, 05:33 PM
^ Certainly crossed my mind. Hard to tell how much that is down to the new management compared to the old management, as these things get planned well in advance. Also hard to know what the optimal amount of training is. Maybe those teams with lots of pre-season games will do well early, but also burn out early.

Greatest Ripoff
02-12-2013, 06:02 PM
How many games should they play? They have the 4 games from the mickey mouse tournament and 4 others. I thought that was a good number.

Auzzy
02-12-2013, 06:19 PM
^ What other 4 games do they have?

I was also wondering about the number of games. I recently read that the whole pre-season schedule was basically planned during the MarinEra. After all the complaints about last Winter's pre-season, I thought they would have more games, but it doesn't really look like it. It was also mentioned that last weekend's game vs. the Crew was the 1st pre-season game for TFC; but the 4th (I believe) for Columbus. Maybe there will be a few more games vs. college teams or something? At least they have started later than many other MLS teams.

Generally the pre-season is tighter due to the earlier league start. Everybody has a bit less time to prepare. Hopefully in future years we will have less turnover -- even more crucial when the pre-season is short.

Greatest Ripoff
02-12-2013, 07:19 PM
^ What other 4 games do they have?

It was posted on the second page. Larson reported they were playing another friendly against a MLS side and 3 against college teams.

TFC07
02-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Playing against college teams? Really? Sure play a game or two games at most against college teams beginning of your preseason (just to work on your fitness), but rest of games should be played against higher quality teams especially in the end of preseason.

Auzzy
02-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Playing against college teams? Really? Sure play a game or two games at most against college teams beginning of your preseason (just to work on your fitness), but rest of games should be played against higher quality teams especially in the end of preseason.

Well, this is apparently what Mariner & Co. booked for the team. Next year Payne & Nelsen can organize it the way they see fit. Some people also don't like playing against league opposition too often in pre-season, as they get to know you too well. Might be nice to play some international teams as well, but most are busy now with their own league. Even lower-league competition would be good -- we've heard that Orlando will be a difficult opponent for example.

TFC07
02-13-2013, 02:12 AM
Well, this is apparently what Mariner & Co. booked for the team. Next year Payne & Nelsen can organize it the way they see fit. Some people also don't like playing against league opposition too often in pre-season, as they get to know you too well. Might be nice to play some international teams as well, but most are busy now with their own league. Even lower-league competition would be good -- we've heard that Orlando will be a difficult opponent for example.

I agree, but didn't TFC go overseas (Turkey?) couple of years ago during their preseason and played against some decent teams over there? I am sure it can be done again, but TFC rather go to Florida and play against some college teams & MLS clubs.

Oldtimer
02-13-2013, 08:53 AM

I agree, but didn't TFC go overseas (Turkey?) couple of years ago during their preseason and played against some decent teams over there? I am sure it can be done again, but TFC rather go to Florida and play against some college teams & MLS clubs.

It would be nice to do some overseas preparation (Montreal has gone to Italy and plays 3rd division teams as part of their prep ). However, we're stuck with what Mariner set up. I'd love to see a return to Charleston some day.

I'm not too concerned about TFC playing college teams. This isn't the time that you set up your systems (you do that in practice). It's the time you build up fitness and give some playing time to individual players.

khso11
02-13-2013, 10:45 AM
I agree, but didn't TFC go overseas (Turkey?) couple of years ago during their preseason and played against some decent teams over there?

i think it was partizan belgrade or something when we had preki as our coach and his serbian connections

ensco
02-13-2013, 10:49 AM
I think the facility they train at (housing, food, ability to create camaraderie during down time) matters far more than where they go and who they play. There are a dozen suitable choices, I am sure.

It seems dumb to go to Europe - what are you really getting for an extra 100K in airfares?

Ajax TFC
02-13-2013, 10:53 AM
i think it was partizan belgrade or something when we had preki as our coach and his serbian connections
No, it was at the beginning of Winter's time here. I believe we played Partizan, Red Star, and Dinamo Zagreb.

Yohan
02-13-2013, 10:54 AM
No, it was at the beginning of Winter's time here. I believe we played Partizan, Red Star, and Dinamo Zagreb.
Probably arranged before Preki got fired?

Oldtimer
02-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Probably arranged before Preki got fired?

Preki arranged those matches.

jloome
02-13-2013, 12:01 PM
I think the facility they train at (housing, food, ability to create camaraderie during down time) matters far more than where they go and who they play. There are a dozen suitable choices, I am sure.

It seems dumb to go to Europe - what are you really getting for an extra 100K in airfares?

It was winter. He had a contact at a luxury Euro training centre, figuring they could scout some potential players while there. They went to Turkey and one of the players -- Kocic, I think -- talked recently about how the travel in preseason was out of wack for the amount of actual training time they got.

Seems ridiculous, a free vacation.

As for playing college teams, most pro teams in Europe like their last couple of friendlies of pre-season to be against easier teams (thus the Man Utd tours) , to help build team confidence. Being beaten by an MLS team a week before your opener (potentially) isn't going to do that. Whupping a college team 3-0 or 4-0 may seem shallow from the outside but it has a positive psychological effect.

elironico
02-13-2013, 12:11 PM
It certainly wasn't Winter...it was Preki. Winter complained bitterly about the unnecessary distraction of the trip when what he needed was time to implement the system. Perhaps another of Preki's "brothers-in-law" set it up...not the one with the Eastern European talent agency...

mowe
02-13-2013, 12:11 PM
I remember the opposite jloome, Winter complained that the travel was too tiring for preseason but everything was already set up when he got here. Makes sense because he wouldn't have had time to plan a Turkish training camp considering how late he was hired. And the next preseason (Winter fully in charge) TFC didn't make any overseas trips.

ag futbol
02-13-2013, 12:44 PM
^ Yep. If I remember correctly, the team thought getting over to Turkey was more trouble than it was worth. Too much time getting organized, not enough time training.

Auzzy
02-13-2013, 03:59 PM
I think overseas pre-season trips make even less sense now. MLS schedule is starting earlier, so the pre-season training period is shorter. (The players have some guaranteed off before they have to report, so you can't just start the pre-season earlier.)

Yohan
02-13-2013, 04:04 PM
I think overseas pre-season trips make even less sense now. MLS schedule is starting earlier, so the pre-season training period is shorter. (The players have some guaranteed off before they have to report, so you can't just start the pre-season earlier.)
I think all 19 MLS teams stayed in NA for pre season, except Dallas who went to Mexico for couple of games.

JonO
02-13-2013, 04:47 PM
I think all 19 MLS teams stayed in NA for pre season, except Dallas who went to Mexico for couple of games.
Which is, arguably, part of NA ;)

ag futbol
02-20-2013, 11:33 AM
1-1 SKC v. TFC in a pre-season scrimmage happening today.

Osorio with another tally for TFC. Get the kid on paper already, it's obvious he has what it takes.

Jpexxx
02-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Yup, I hope they get Osario signed.
I wonder if it is worth giving Bennett a chance too?

Toronto FC ‏@torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) 30' #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) 1-1 SKC: Osorio levels following strong work from Wiedeman & Bennett. #TFClive (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFClive&src=hash)

backbeat
02-20-2013, 11:40 AM
1-1 SKC v. TFC in a pre-season scrimmage happening today.

Osorio with another tally for TFC. Get the kid on paper already, it's obvious he has what it takes.

where are you seeing this and is Ryan back with the team?

jloome
02-20-2013, 11:55 AM
where are you seeing this and is Ryan back with the team?

On TFC's twitter feed.

2-1 KC at half time. Team is nearly all trialists. Jacob Hustedt (?) from San Jose trialling?

jloome
02-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Apparently it's split squad, so we'll have a whole new set of players for the second half.

Jpexxx
02-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Toronto FC ‏@torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) 56' #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) 1-3 SKC: Sporting pulls two goals ahead by converting a penalty. #TFClive (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFClive&src=hash)

Jpexxx
02-20-2013, 12:30 PM
Toronto FC ‏@torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) 71' #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) 2-3 SKC: Bennett finishes on a through-ball from Martinez. #TFClive (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFClive&src=hash) pic.twitter.com/Tcpt2uwA (http://t.co/Tcpt2uwA)

Jpexxx
02-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Toronto FC ‏@torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) 73' #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) 3-3 SKC: Reds level, Bennett again gets behind Sporting's backline, this time for the equalizer. #TFClive (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFClive&src=hash)

ag futbol
02-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Nice to see some fight here. It's as nothing a game as nothing games go, but it's good to see us pop in a few goals and keep it competitive.

Red I
02-20-2013, 12:36 PM
Benett is playing like a super sub; coming in, getting behind the back line late in the game - might be a great addition to the bench up front - wonder why he hasn't shown that earlier, he looks like he has talent to go with his speed and athleticism - although sounds like poor defence or bad giveaway spots to get 2 through balls in on goal like that

Jpexxx
02-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Toronto FC ‏@torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) Fulltime: #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) 3-3 SKC. Osorio & Bennett (2) with Reds' goals in a second half comeback. #TFClive (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFClive&src=hash)

Wooster_TFC
02-20-2013, 01:29 PM
Benett is playing like a super sub; coming in, getting behind the back line late in the game - might be a great addition to the bench up front - wonder why he hasn't shown that earlier, he looks like he has talent to go with his speed and athleticism - although sounds like poor defence or bad giveaway spots to get 2 through balls in on goal like that

Might be because they had him playing RM every game until now? He lined up as a striker in this scrimmage.

Jpexxx
02-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Asif Hossain ‏@asifintoronto (https://twitter.com/asifintoronto) @crazycanuckjr (https://twitter.com/CrazyCanuckJr) Unfortunately no highlights. We have postgame interviews to come though. #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

There will be no high lights. Only interviews

cochrdoc
02-20-2013, 04:02 PM
I am surprised Bennett and Welshman never got to play striker in the first 3 games .This showing from Bennet could have sealed the fate of Morgan.I wonder if Russel had a good game and if he still might be in the pictureI think he is better option then Dunfield at DM.

TFCwestcan
02-20-2013, 04:55 PM
I am surprised Bennett and Welshman never got to play striker in the first 3 games .This showing from Bennet could have sealed the fate of Morgan.I wonder if Russel had a good game and if he still might be in the pictureI think he is better option then Dunfield at DM.

I was thinking the same thing, Morgan's International status is a real issue, assuming the management has some foreign targets. Bennett might have made the decision difficult for the coaches.

ag futbol
02-20-2013, 05:04 PM
I was thinking the same thing, Morgan's International status is a real issue, assuming the management has some foreign targets. Bennett might have made the decision difficult for the coaches.
Always going to be an uphill battle for Morgan. If we were willing to tie up an international spot for that level of player, why not keep Plata around?

I wasn't terribly impressed with Bennett from what I've seen so far, but it's not like his presence would hamstring this team one way or another. The most important signings we'll make haven't shown up yet. These guys are just small pieces we can speculate on and hope a few work out.

notthesun
02-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Morgan seems to be doing just fine.

"@soccercanada (https://twitter.com/soccercanada/status/304256173647990784): Interesting to see Taylor Morgan is training with what looks like first team today and not in the group for the scrimmage against SKC."

cochrdoc
02-24-2013, 01:08 PM
So far Payne has done a wonderful job with getting our salary cap in order and if Fringes is gone he has unloaded 2 DP`s.I for one do not think Deguzman and Fringe were the answer as our holding mids the last couple years.Look at our goals against.If our defence is alittle more oraganized and a better mid hopefully we can stay in games longer and not give up late goals.I would like us to sign Russel.He is a DM and could be paired with Cesar with Dunfield as a back-up.We could let Hall, Lambe and Welshman fight it out for RM,assuming if Ephraim ends up being LM.I think signing Morgan to a international spot is a waste at that position.He will probably only score a few goals and we can sign better talent to be used at AM , S and Rm.I am surprized Welsman has not had a run up front to se what he can do.Morgan scored on A Div. 3 team and Bennett seemed to create problems for KC.Scoring in the first game and creating problems with his speed in the second game.He could fill a Canadian roster spot giving us a player who can play up top and wide.Can not wait to see who these new signings will be

moralis
02-24-2013, 02:35 PM
I don't think TFC need an advanced midfielder as of now, Silva will start at that position. I think Bekker can play AM and also TFC academy player Osorio when Silva gets subbed off or injured. TFC need goal scorers. TFC should sign 2 strikers, a left midfielder and a right midfielder. Included with the signings of Osorio, Bennett and maybe a backup left back to compete with Morgan, maybe Justin Davis.

TFC07
02-24-2013, 03:47 PM
Kyle Porter (striker) is currently training with DC United. He is someone TFC should try to sign (he wouldn't cost much).

moralis
02-24-2013, 04:03 PM
Kyle Porter has already signed with DC United, club has not made it official yet:

Kudos Management ‏@KudosM (https://twitter.com/KudosM) We confirm Kyle Porter has agreed to terms with DC United. The Kudos family wishes @KylePorter19 (https://twitter.com/KylePorter19) all the best with his new team. #MLS2013 (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLS2013&src=hash)

https://twitter.com/KudosM

UltraSuperMegaMo
02-24-2013, 11:33 PM
Kyle Porter has trialed with TFC at least three times in the past. He's never impressed them enough sign.

Parkdale
03-10-2013, 08:32 AM
the "pre" seasons is over. we're full steam ahead.

thread unstuck.