PDA

View Full Version : Jesse Marsch steps down

CBTFC
11-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Wow.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2012/11/03/3499385/marsch-steps-down-as-impact-head-coach?source=breakingnews

CBTFC
11-03-2012, 10:43 AM
woops, wrong forum. meant to post this in the news. sorry mods!

jloome
11-03-2012, 11:34 AM

Surprising, but also not. It's Saputo's team. I can't believe an MLS guy would think old Italians are the way to build the future. That level of interference is gonna drive anyone nuts.

PopePouri
11-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Take him!

Fort York Redcoat
11-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Sure I'd take him. A coach with a winning record that wants to focus on a strong build for the future?

We don't have a vision here. Let's give Marsch a listen and see what we could do to to help him stick it to his old bosses.

Fort York Redcoat
11-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Surprising, but also not. That level of interference is gonna drive anyone nuts.

Although this point would be the primary reason our team wouldn't be on Marsch's prospect list. Anselmi and Cochrane may have a difficult time convincing Marsch he's have control with the management media circus that is TFC.

prizby
11-03-2012, 01:07 PM
really funny...was listening to tsn radio montreal when i drove through Montreal in late August/early september...they were talking montreal impact and the commentator was predicting that Jesse Marsch would be out by the end of the season regardless of results...the reason being was the influential Euro signings want a Euro style coach...would seem that this is the case

TFC07
11-03-2012, 01:11 PM
I am not surprised. I had a feeling Montreal wants build more an European type of team instead of North America one. I am sure they'll do it differently than TFC though.

PopePouri
11-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Sure I'd take him. A coach with a winning record that wants to focus on a strong build for the future?

We don't have a vision here. Let's give Marsch a listen and see what we could do to to help him stick it to his old bosses.

He brought in talents like Felipe and some decent MLS defenders, got the best out of Bernier. They should take a serious look at him.

denime
11-03-2012, 01:30 PM
We don't need Marsch,

WE HAVE MARINER AND HE IS GOOD IN WHAT HE IS DOING!!:picard:

tfcleeds
11-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Take him!

That was my first thought as soon as I read the title of this thread.

Redcoe15
11-03-2012, 04:18 PM
No way Marsch would step into the shit storm that is Toronto FC. He's way too smart for that. Some other MLS club will come around and give him what he wants.

Oldtimer
11-03-2012, 05:31 PM

Moved to news, no problem.

Yohan
11-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Ah, the meddling owner problem. Looks like Saputo wants some Italian guy as next manager. Curious to see if this move will pay off for Impact, but Saputo doesn't have a good history of hiring and firing managers either.

Either way, Marsch is going to find a job again, considering his experience as player, assistant USMNT stint and what he accomplished in mtl with an expansion team. But he's not a good fit for for many TFC fans, because I'm pretty sure he prefers 4-4-2 lol

TFC07
11-03-2012, 07:05 PM
I don't want Marsch either. Prefer a manager who share similar vision (4-3-3 attacking soccer) what we try to establish since last year.

Cashcleaner
11-03-2012, 11:53 PM
No way Marsch would step into the shit storm that is Toronto FC. He's way too smart for that. Some other MLS club will come around and give him what he wants.

I don't think the guy would touch this club with a 40-foot pole, but I wouldn't be surprised if he finds further work in MLS. I heard the same sort of commentary that prizby did. Nothing along the lines of bad blood going on between himself and ownership and players, but more an acknowledgement that Saputo has a certain mandate and vision for the club and it requires someone else with a football brain similar to Di Vaio and Nesta's.

nonc
11-04-2012, 12:55 AM
Either way, Marsch is going to find a job again, considering his experience as player, assistant USMNT stint and what he accomplished in mtl with an expansion team. But he's not a good fit for for many TFC fans, because I'm pretty sure he prefers 4-4-2 lol

I don't want Marsch either. Prefer a manager who share similar vision (4-3-3 attacking soccer) what we try to establish since last year.

there isn't anything wrong with 4-4-2. the problem is Mariner is an idiot. why do some insist 4-3-3 is somehow the future or inherently better? it's been around for decades and just happens to be in vogue right now, although 4-2-3-1 is already becoming the new 'thing'.

ManU currently plays a 4-4-1-1 and are one of the most dangerous attacking teams in the world. Chelsea's formation is also quite conservative. it's all about player quality, coaching.

Shakes McQueen
11-04-2012, 06:50 AM
Were it that any of our managers had the principles to stand up and say "the owner and I disagree on how to do this", and then resign their post. Ours either cling to their jobs like rats on a sinking ship no matter how much their superiors meddle (or how terrible they are), or they quit with no comment.

And with how pervasive the meddling is, it would be useful for the long-term health of the franchise, to have one of them stand up and shine a light on this stuff. All we have are rumours, innuendo, he said/she said catfights, and "inside info" from the super-secret sources everyone and their uncle seems to have on this forum.

- Scott

tfcleeds
11-04-2012, 07:51 AM
Were it that any of our managers had the principles to stand up and say "the owner and I disagree on how to do this", and then resign their post. Ours either cling to their jobs like rats on a sinking ship no matter how much their superiors meddle (or how terrible they are), or they quit with no comment.

And with how pervasive the meddling is, it would be useful for the long-term health of the franchise, to have one of them stand up and shine a light on this stuff. All we have are rumours, innuendo, he said/she said catfights, and "inside info" from the super-secret sources everyone and their uncle seems to have on this forum.

- Scott

Marsch has a bright future, and could probably have his pick of MLS jobs. Whereas our managers generally seem to be the bottom of the barrel variety who no other club would touch with a 10 foot pole, and they know their chances of getting work elsewhere are slim to none.

Shakes McQueen
11-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Marsch has a bright future, and could probably have his pick of MLS jobs. Whereas our managers generally seem to be the bottom of the barrel variety who no other club would touch with a 10 foot pole, and they know their chances of getting work elsewhere are slim to none.

Some of them may leave this way (not all), but I certainly don't think they all enter this way. Winter wasn't a "bottom of the barrel" candidate when he came in, and there was a time when people thought Mariner was a good candidate for a top job as well.

I agree that there's no reason for Marsch to take a job with TFC. We are a team with a bad reputation, limited prospects, and not even a history of our employees going on to greater things by being here.

- Scott

Yohan
11-04-2012, 12:16 PM
there isn't anything wrong with 4-4-2. the problem is Mariner is an idiot. why do some insist 4-3-3 is somehow the future or inherently better? it's been around for decades and just happens to be in vogue right now, although 4-2-3-1 is already becoming the new 'thing'.

ManU currently plays a 4-4-1-1 and are one of the most dangerous attacking teams in the world. Chelsea's formation is also quite conservative. it's all about player quality, coaching.for the record, I'm in the 'if it's stupid, but it works, then it's not stupid' group ;)

PopePouri
11-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Marsch wasn't specifically 4-4-2. Many times he played 4-2-3-1 with Felipe as no. 10

Yohan
11-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Marsch wasn't specifically 4-4-2. Many times he played 4-2-3-1 with Felipe as no. 10

I suspect Marsch was pressured into playing 4-2-3-1...

Toronto
11-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Ah, the meddling owner problem. Looks like Saputo wants some Italian guy as next manager. Curious to see if this move will pay off for Impact, but Saputo doesn't have a good history of hiring and firing managers either.

An owner who wants to f^cking win?? I'd take Saputo over the clowns running our team who simply want to collect a pension. Nesta will be the new coach. Why would he want to play for peanuts, if the next step in his life wasn't taken care of. Which was coaching. He came, saw the league from the sidelines, played a few games and now...PRESTO is coach.

Yohan
11-04-2012, 11:08 PM
An owner who wants to f^cking win?? I'd take Saputo over the clowns running our team who simply want to collect a pension. Nesta will be the new coach. Why would he want to play for peanuts, if the next step in his life wasn't taken care of. Which was coaching. He came, saw the league from the sidelines, played a few games and now...PRESTO is coach.
I'm going to laugh so hard if Nesta fails as a coach.

Cashcleaner
11-05-2012, 01:23 AM

The Impact have one big thing going for them that we don't - they have an identity. Joey Saputo has made no bones about the sort of team he wants. He wants an "Italian" team. Italian players and Italian coaches all working on an Italian style.

And I wouldn't be surprised at all if it works out for them.

Yep. I'll take a "meddling" coach any day of the week as long as he is actually creating positive change with his/her input. As for Nesta and coaching, that certainly sounds like a possibility. Don't know if things will play out that way, but it's entirely plausible.

Yohan
11-05-2012, 02:22 AM
The Impact have one big thing going for them that we don't - they have an identity. Joey Saputo has made no bones about the sort of team he wants. He wants an "Italian" team. Italian players and Italian coaches all working on an Italian style.

your team is only good as your American domestics

Pookie
11-05-2012, 06:42 AM

Bang on. Only as good as all 19 of them and your 3 Canadians to be exact.

brad
11-05-2012, 08:54 AM

The million dollar question is can he do it on an MLS budget...

Oldtimer
11-05-2012, 09:12 AM

Especially those middle-tier players. It's surprising how few in the media realize this.

narduch
11-05-2012, 09:13 AM

And Montreal actually has a few of them.

Yohan
11-05-2012, 12:41 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/11/05/mls_montreal_impact_jesse_marsch/

Seems Marsch got Preki'd by his players

prizby
11-05-2012, 01:32 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/11/05/mls_montreal_impact_jesse_marsch/

Seems Marsch got Preki'd by his players

I was driving through Montreal on, I think it was August 31st...i turned on tsn radio and they were talking Montreal Impact...the commentator then predicted that Marsch wouldn't be back next year because the Euro stars would want a Euro style coach...

shows how much i pay attention to what i say...already said this i see ooops

prizby
11-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Should be interesting to see Nick De Santis promised that Jesse Marsch would be back

RBqonj3zwJk

looks like Montreal is walking the TFC plank

ag futbol
11-05-2012, 02:00 PM
I think the applicable comparison for Joey Saputo is Jerry Jones of the Dallas Cowboys. His meddling might harm the team at times, but fans put up with it because he wants success as much as they do. It just all has to be done his way.

It's not the best thing to have at the top but it isn't the worst. IMO what we have is second only to Bob Kraft in terms of awfulness. We have a dissociated sports conglomerate that is layered in bureaucracy and fails to internalize on-field success at a high level.

Oldtimer
11-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Here is a good analysis by Sandor as to why this reflects really badly on the Impact:

http://the11.ca/2012/11/04/five-years-of-coaching-turmoil-reflects-poorly-on-impact-organization/#more-10049

Yohan
02-06-2013, 04:30 PM
http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?4178-The-story-of-Jesse-Marsch-and-the-Impact

The story of drama between Montreal and Marsch