PDA

View Full Version : Police and scalpers

Tintin
07-16-2008, 08:40 AM
I was shocked at the game yesterday. As usual there were scalpers right at the tunnel entrance and police did nothing. However I saw this older man (60 or around that) talking to a couple close to the ticket window. He was willing to five is $120 tickets for $20 and 2 policeman approach him and said that it was illegal and that if he continued he would be charged!!!!!

I understand and agree that scalping needs to be stopped but that was not scalping. The police are not concentrating on the real issue. It's total BS.

The old man then stood in line to give back his tickets to the ticketing agent for free...
:taz:

Shaughno
07-16-2008, 08:48 AM
My friend was late to the game and he said the cops were booking a bunch of scalpers outside Gate 3 and a few of them had taken off running.

Tintin
07-16-2008, 08:54 AM
Well I’m happy about that but I think that they should allow someone to almost give its tickets away for free instead of harassing him.

werewolf
07-16-2008, 09:06 AM
he was selling his $120 tickets for $20 and the police said it was illegal....? WOW! Well done Toronto Police, way to nail those criminals!!!

koryo
07-16-2008, 09:07 AM
what do you expect from the police in this town? Their idea of law enforcement is to hit up the easy target.

Shaughno
07-16-2008, 09:09 AM
^^ Exactly, avoid anyone 'connected' and hit up the easiest target in sight.

Besides, who wants to fuck with guys employed by bikers... not Cops that's for sure.

Tintin
07-16-2008, 09:12 AM
I wa thingking the same way. They are afraid of dealing with the scalpers...On top of that, MLSE got the tickets back for free and maybe sold them for 120. And the couple who were going to get the tickets bought some for way more than $20...

Flipityflu
07-16-2008, 09:14 AM
come on guys, give the cops a break. it takes alot of time and effort to keep track of their basement grow-ops.

flatpicker
07-16-2008, 09:19 AM
I also saw that guy near the ticket office getting talked to by the cops.

I agree with getting rid of scalping... but really... selling below cost is nothing to get busted over... silly...

koryo
07-16-2008, 09:20 AM
come on guys, give the cops a break. it takes alot of time and effort to keep track of their basement grow-ops.

Don't they hire bikers gangs to look after those?

Tintin
07-16-2008, 09:21 AM
:DOur tax money at work....

Toronto's finest!

Parkdale
07-16-2008, 09:32 AM
My friend was late to the game and he said the cops were booking a bunch of scalpers outside Gate 3 and a few of them had taken off running.

^ guys.... there's good news too - The cops actually did something right
If they arrested even one real scalper, then I think that's a good thing.

Billy the kid
07-16-2008, 09:36 AM
It's good their harrassing the elderly since clearly their the main offenders. Mabe they could arrest some small children for littering.

fiji_blue
07-16-2008, 09:39 AM
We had an extra ticket... so we interrupted a person trying to make a transaction saying we have a better deal here u go... FREE...

Tintin
07-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Was the transaction with a scalper? If so, what did he say when you offered the free ticket?

fiji_blue
07-16-2008, 10:06 AM
It was just as the players were being announced we wanted to get to our seats quick so instead of wasting the ticket... saw a guy trying to buy a ticket, said excuse me heres a deal for you! The person I gave it too was shocked I think he was ready to drop like 50 dollars..It was infront of Gate 1, the scalper walked away ...

Tintin
07-16-2008, 10:09 AM
:thumbsup:

Good for you fiji blue.

BakaGaijin
07-16-2008, 10:17 AM
I think I have figured out what is going on with scalping these days. There is a crack down on scalping on CNE grounds because as per the TFC website:

· Scalping or Re-Selling Tickets
It is illegal to buy or sell any ticket (at any price) for any event at BMO Field anywhere on Exhibition Place grounds pursuant to City of Toronto by-laws. Anyone caught attempting to sell tickets may be prosecuted and face revocation of season tickets or other privileges. To avoid problems with counterfeit, stolen, void or other invalid tickets, fans are encouraged to purchase tickets only from an authorized outlet.

http://web.mlsnet.com/t280/stadium/faq/ (http://web.mlsnet.com/t280/stadium/faq/)

So.........it is illegal to sell tickets (at any price) on CNE grounds as per the city of Toronto by-law. Therefore, scalpers are getting busted on CNE grounds.

I suspect that the GO platform is NOT part of CNE grounds and that is why scalpers are not getting busted on the GO platform. I have already sent an e-mail to GO transit about this issue. As GO is run by the province, I think this matter needs to be brought up with the MPP for the riding that Exhibition Station is located within.

The MPP is Rosario Marchese.

e-mail address is: rmarchese-co@ndp.on.ca (rmarchese-co@ndp.on.ca)

Tintin
07-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Great info Baka. It make more sense now. However, Police should not waste thier time on a 60 yera old man selling a ticket for $20!!!!

Blazer
07-16-2008, 10:37 AM
How sure are we that Marchese is in fact the individual to speak with? I'd love to send him/ her and email.

Rawkus_420
07-16-2008, 10:46 AM
^ guys.... there's good news too - The cops actually did something right
If they arrested even one real scalper, then I think that's a good thing.

All they really have to do is go stand on that corner by the go station exit and bust all those guys!! Why the fuck dotn they do that, those are the most threatening ones.

BakaGaijin
07-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Great info Baka. It make more sense now. However, Police should not waste thier time on a 60 yera old man selling a ticket for $20!!!!

In all fairness.........they should probably have a zero tolerance policy......otherwise the scalpers will mascarade as 60 year old men trying to sell tickets for $20.

Zero tolerence is better than the other option. Besides, it is technically a violation of the by-law to sell a ticket for any amount.

We are asking the police to enforce the laws........at least they are finally starting to do this. I think we should cut them some slack for that.

BakaGaijin
07-16-2008, 11:01 AM
How sure are we that Marchese is in fact the individual to speak with? I'd love to send him/ her and email.

The GO is a crown corporation and reports to the Ontario Minister of Transportation, who is Jim Bradley. You can send him an e-mail as well at this website:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/feedback/minister.htm

Blazer
07-16-2008, 11:06 AM
The GO is a crown corporation and reports to the Ontario Minister of Transportation, who is Jim Bradley. You can send him an e-mail as well at this website:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/feedback/minister.htm

Awesome! Nice work!

jayeden
07-16-2008, 11:08 AM
they only went and talked to the old guy becuase he was soliciting the sale directly infront of the ticket office..thats why you never see scalpers there.. if the old guy was a hundred feet away he would not have been an issue

Hooligan69
07-16-2008, 11:23 AM

:rofl: :rofl:

Reddevil39
07-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Earlier in the season we tried last minute to get some tickets for the Columbus game at the Ticket counter, had no luck so we walked to Shoeless to watch the match, on the way there we were harassed by like 5 scalpers I REFUSE to buy tickets from the scum bags they got all pissy with us because we refused to engage in their game, they followed us all the way to the GO tunnel, they just wouldnt take the hint, and no cops to be seen anywhere as the match had already started.

Red CB Toronto
07-16-2008, 11:26 AM
I saw scalpers getting busted just outside the Go entrance on the BMO side last night, even a few vet scalpers I have seen at several different events, the Police are doing something I can say that for sure.

Hooligan69
07-16-2008, 11:30 AM
The cops can arrest the scalper scum, but they'll just be back out on the street scalping again as if nothing happened.

labanda
07-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Last year I was trying to sell an extra pair of raptor playoff tickets by the ACC. I was yelling "face value pair for sale" and a scalper grabbed me by the collar and said that he was going to "sic his dogs on me" if I didnt get off his "turf". This happened right in front of a group of cops so I turned to them and asked if they were going to do anything about this scalper harassing and threatening me. So the cop then turns to me and asks if I have a license to sell tickets and if I dont then I "better get the fuck out of here" before he writes me up. I asked if he was going to write up the scalper then too and he simply said dont worry about him. Luckily a lawyer was right beside us when this all happened and he told me, and the cop, that as long as I was off ACC property, which i was, and was selling for face value then there was nothing they could do to me. I have a feeling some of the cops have some kind of deal in place with the scalpers.....

MFBODD
07-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Last year I was trying to sell an extra pair of raptor playoff tickets by the ACC. I was yelling "face value pair for sale" and a scalper grabbed me by the collar and said that he was going to "sic his dogs on me" if I didnt get off his "turf". This happened right in front of a group of cops so I turned to them and asked if they were going to do anything about this scalper harassing and threatening me. So the cop then turns to me and asks if I have a license to sell tickets and if I dont then I "better get the fuck out of here" before he writes me up. I asked if he was going to write up the scalper then too and he simply said dont worry about him. Luckily a lawyer was right beside us when this all happened and he told me, and the cop, that as long as I was off ACC property, which i was, and was selling for face value then there was nothing they could do to me. I have a feeling some of the cops have some kind of deal in place with the scalpers.....

Considering the guy assaulted you and made a verbal threat something should have been done by the cop.

gardooney
07-16-2008, 01:14 PM
I saw two of our finest talking to a guy. And he had a handful of tickets. But I don't think it was scalping they were talking about. Looked like they were just chatting and he kept waving the tickets, I guess to let people know he had them. :noidea:

Valentine
07-16-2008, 04:17 PM
One of the best things you can do when you see Toronto's finest talking to Toronto's scum is take pictures. Then post the pics on all the supporters sites. Nothing worse for the police than being outed and having the whole community see it. I am sure after a few pictures of the police standing all buddy buddy with the scalpers surface, their will be some changes. If you see a scalper with a police officer who is on duty and meant to be doing their job in enforcing the law (the last time I checked, scalping is ILLEGAL) and they are all friends - well let them know that they should check the RPB, NEE, etc websites to see their pictures all posted on how they are encouraging the law to be broken!

I am a fan of TFC who has to go through message boards and friends to get tickets because they are all sold out. I wish I could get season tickets, but they are also all sold out. And then I see people outside the BMO Field with tons of tickets, it makes me sick.

As a community of true supporters, this can be changed! People who sell their tickets for face value or below face value, thank you from the fans who can not get tickets. Those who sell tickets at a ridiculous mark up, well I hope you loose your season tickets and that they are given to fans who want to go to the games. Not everyone can afford to pay the price that scalpers want to charge.

Maple Leaf Red
07-16-2008, 04:36 PM
I overheard a woman complaining to the cops last night about scalpers but was absolutely stunned about why she was complaining:

The scalpers were out of their designated areas.

Now, obviously I have no idea if there is a deal in place (although anyone that's been to a Leafs game knows how lazy T.O.'s finest are about enforcing the law) but it was surreal to see that location was the problem as opposed to the breaking of the law.

stretchthetruth
07-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Yeah, Toronto's "finest" were on a real tear last night down at Gate 3 after the match - harassing supporters to get out of the stadium about 5 mins after the final whistle. When the one lovely lady asked me leave and I stated I was meeting someone she backed off for about 10 seconds then told me "this is the second time, dont make me ask a 3rd..." I made a phone call to the friend I was meeting while she and some big oaf invaded my personal space... Thankfully I was sober and just passively resisted their bullshit, which really pissed me and my group off. The cops down there need to chill the fuck out and stop being the ones causing the problems with supporters.

Hooligan69
07-16-2008, 05:00 PM
To serve and protect their rackets?

Maple Leaf Red
07-16-2008, 06:12 PM
To serve and protect their rackets?

Best quote I have heard from a Cabbie as we drove by some cops breaking up a party:

"Look, there are Toronto's finest. 'To protect and serve'? Yeah, to serve you tickets and protect their job.'

Red Patch CA
07-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Was trying to get rid of a ticket I couldn't use before the game in front of the main ticket area. Held it up and shouted "free ticket'. Police approached me but I guess there was nothing they could do if I was giving it away. Finally, someone took it.

A little offended about the "older man" comments.;)

Roogsy
07-16-2008, 09:04 PM
It's the inconsistency that is getting me. If a couple of scalpers get tickets every once in a while while 20 others get away...what does that do? Nothing.

I swear...a scalper tried to sell me a ticket as I was walking to BMO not 5 feet away from a cop and she just stood there and did nothing.

BakaGaijin
07-16-2008, 10:07 PM
It's the inconsistency that is getting me. If a couple of scalpers get tickets every once in a while while 20 others get away...what does that do? Nothing.

I swear...a scalper tried to sell me a ticket as I was walking to BMO not 5 feet away from a cop and she just stood there and did nothing.

I witnessed a female cop doing the same thing a couple of weeks back. Perhaps it's the same one. The next time I see her I will ask her for her badge number. Perhaps her supervisor can tell me says she does dick all.

Ladies Love Julius James
07-16-2008, 10:09 PM
If you want to complain about Scalpers...complain about TicketMaster and the thousands of other sites that make me pay a tonne of BS charges.

Next time I want to see an event that was sold out by 76,000 people (NFL games)...I'll gladly walk over to a scalper and pay double the price and won't complain.

stretchthetruth
07-16-2008, 10:09 PM
the police(state) situation at BMO is a joke, plain and simple... i have a feeling its going to be just peachy for the montreal game... a "Red" rated game on their scale, no doubt...

ExiledRed
07-16-2008, 10:17 PM
One of the best things you can do when you see Toronto's finest talking to Toronto's scum is take pictures. Then post the pics on all the supporters sites. Nothing worse for the police than being outed and having the whole community see it. I am sure after a few pictures of the police standing all buddy buddy with the scalpers surface, their will be some changes. If you see a scalper with a police officer who is on duty and meant to be doing their job in enforcing the law (the last time I checked, scalping is ILLEGAL) and they are all friends - well let them know that they should check the RPB, NEE, etc websites to see their pictures all posted on how they are encouraging the law to be broken!

Proactive and potentially workable.

Make a scalpers thread, and post pictures of the fuckers doing, whatever it is theyre doing. Post video, accounts, whatever. Eventually somebody with enough power will be embarrassed enough to do something, however small.

FluSH
07-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Proactive and potentially workable.

Make a scalpers thread, and post pictures of the fuckers doing, whatever it is theyre doing. Post video, accounts, whatever. Eventually somebody with enough power will be embarrassed enough to do something, however small.

This is a great idea... to be honest I do believe some of them check the boards here for tickets...

Valentine
07-16-2008, 11:05 PM
It does not take much to take a picture with a digital camera or even a camera on a phone and post the pic! This is the only solution I can really think of. As scalpers need to be close to the area where the game is being played to get the best prices for the tickets that they have! This will embarass the police to do their job and enforce the law. This will hopefully get the scalpers away from the BMO Field and Exhibition grounds.

If the scalpers are not making enough of a profit, then they will leave... As we all know a scalper works on how much money they can swindle out of me and you.

Their is no harm in trying it out. And if anyone wants me to, I will personally print the pictures and deliver them to the police HQ! And see what response I get. If it is not taken seriously, I will use the resources I have to get the attention that is needed to let those in charge that I am serious. I am sick of not being able to get a ticket (for example this weekend) while I walk around the BMO Field, scalpers have many tickets that they are selling at a ridiculous price. I thought of this action plan the last game I was at. And I really do think that it will be effective.

As for Ticketmaster - well that is another problem that I do not want to get started on right now! But sadly, I do not think their is much anyone can do about that. But ideas are how things get changed. I just want fans to be able to go to games!

FluSH
07-16-2008, 11:15 PM
It does not take much to take a picture with a digital camera or even a camera on a phone and post the pic! This is the only solution I can really think of. As scalpers need to be close to the area where the game is being played to get the best prices for the tickets that they have! This will embarass the police to do their job and enforce the law. This will hopefully get the scalpers away from the BMO Field and Exhibition grounds.

Guys, lets be realistic here though... what we need to get ready for is WAR. Because there will be a War between us and them if we take it to the next level... and it could get pretty nasty... and I'm not simply talking about an all out brawl... there are many ways this organized group can send messages to fcuk off... and unfortunately the Police will turn a blind eye in my opinion they are on the payroll.

Stencils
07-16-2008, 11:57 PM
The last thing I want to see is some of our guys get hurt by these douches. We have to be smarter than them.

Maybe we could have look outs watching for people buying tickets off of the scalpers and then approach them and ask them what seats they have once they're out of sight of the scalpers.

Start a thread that lists all the seats known to be sold by these scum and approach the FO with it. Hopefully, maybe, possibly we can ensure some of these season tickets are NOT renewed.

If nothing else, it'll OUT those people who are passing tickets on to these guys, though I have the feeling that these guys scooped up ST's early on and are now cashing in.

Del Boy
07-17-2008, 07:05 AM
This is a great thread, something that should be effective and simple. People will definately take notice!!

Mark in Ottawa
07-17-2008, 08:51 AM
I was shocked at the game yesterday. As usual there were scalpers right at the tunnel entrance and police did nothing. However I saw this older man (60 or around that) talking to a couple close to the ticket window. He was willing to five is $120 tickets for $20 and 2 policeman approach him and said that it was illegal and that if he continued he would be charged!!!!!

Time for these police officers to read the Ontario Ticket Speculation Act. It is against the law to resell tickets above their face value.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90t07_e.htm

Mark in Ottawa
07-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Maybe we should have the Ontario Ticket Speculation Act printed on sign boards and posted around the grounds?

The police officers might even read it ;)

Blazer
07-17-2008, 09:51 AM
^Nice work Mark.

I’m slightly confused though because a few weeks back someone had apparently spoke with an actual MPP who said that the law was as such:

1 – A “scalper” may ask a potential buyer first what they are willing to pay for a ticket in a certain section.

2 – If the buyer hypothetically says “$40.00” in that section but the ticket says $28.00, the scalper may go ahead and collect the $40.00 because that’s what was offered and agreed upon?!

Whether this was true or not, it made sense at the time. I hate the pricks altogether and would love to see signage up all over BMO property.

Mark in Ottawa
07-17-2008, 10:33 AM
I’m slightly confused though because a few weeks back someone had apparently spoke with an actual MPP who said that the law was as such:

1 – A “scalper” may ask a potential buyer first what they are willing to pay for a ticket in a certain section.

2 – If the buyer hypothetically says “$40.00” in that section but the ticket says $28.00, the scalper may go ahead and collect the $40.00 because that’s what was offered and agreed upon?!

Whether this was true or not, it made sense at the time. I hate the pricks altogether and would love to see signage up all over BMO property.
Not the way I read the act as displayed at the link above.
Any buying or selling above the stated ticket price is illegal... or so it says.

Blazer
07-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Not the way I read the act as displayed at the link above.
Any buying or selling above the stated ticket price is illegal... or so it says.

And this was taken out of the Criminal Code of Canada and the "Scalpers Act" kinda thing?

stretchthetruth
07-17-2008, 01:15 PM
The Ontario Ticket Speculation Act is provincial, and therefore not criminal... they get a ticket for 60 bucks or something...

Hitcho
07-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Mods - you guys have links to the FO. Is this something the supporter groups could come together on, raise a united and reasonable case to the club about, and get them to have the cops really crack down on this on the grounds? If nothing else, they should at least be able to raise the profile and put up signs saying "Don't buy from illegal scalpers" and "NO SCALPING ALLOWED" or whatever.

The club doesn't benefit from scalpers, so they have nothing to lose, and much to gain in that they'll have a stadium full of real supporters.

stretchthetruth
07-17-2008, 02:44 PM
The club already has the money for the tickets, so do they really care that much? I dont know... They obviously have a market or they wouldnt be down there I guess...

Tintin
07-17-2008, 02:51 PM
After much thinking on the subject, I think cities and provinces should also have a law that forces sports venue to discourage scalping with signs, security and so on....

If venue dont do it, they would be fined. Customers should have the right to come to a pleasant environnement....

Jamaicanadian
07-17-2008, 02:51 PM
the police(state) situation at BMO is a joke, plain and simple... i have a feeling its going to be just peachy for the montreal game... a "Red" rated game on their scale, no doubt...

Followed very closely by Jamaica v. Canada........

Blazer
07-17-2008, 02:52 PM
^ They most likely don't care which is the reason for all the feather ruffling. If they see the concern of the majority they may be empathetic and work to change their issuance of STH tickets to avoid the "problem".

McBrace
07-17-2008, 02:53 PM

But the only thing that game would yeild is good old fashion banter. Montreal on the other hand!!!!;)

Blazer
07-17-2008, 02:54 PM
After much thinking on the subject, I think cities and provinces should also have a law that forces sports venue to discourage scalping with signs, security and so on....

If venue dont do it, they would be fined. Customers should have the right to come to a pleasant environnement....

Will never happen. How can you fine BMO for illegal acts happening off their grounds? How about making use of a police force?

stretchthetruth
07-17-2008, 02:59 PM

No doubt, you're absolutely right. Let the profiling begin!