PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2013 MLS Superdraft thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Yohan
10-25-2012, 12:09 AM
Discuss the superdraft, speculations, scouting reports, how Mariner will screw this up, etc, here...

TFC has the number 1 overall pick only. TFC traded away 2nd round pick to Dallas for Jeremy Hall. Superdraft is only 2 rounds (though there is the Supplemental draft with 2 rounds)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_MLS_SuperDraft

Some articles on some of the top players in NCAA this year so far...

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/10/10/mls-campus-top-19-superdraft-prospects

http://wvhooligan.com/2012/10/15/14840/early-look-at-2013-superdraft-prospects/

AdamAM
10-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Personally I think we should get a forward, we'll be able to buy some decent filler midfielders in the offseason, our defense is good as long as Mariner isn't choosing the starting 11, but we need some forwards. Koevs and Hassli are getting old, and we are not going to want to use Silva as a striker.. Imagine a midfield of silva avila lambe and 1 good new midfielder. Up front would be hassli/koevs and then a draft pick. Defense would be morgan odea henry ecks goalkeeper would be frei. Looks like a decent lineup to me :) also this is assuming we use a 442. All this needs is a new midfielder, a good forward draft pick, and healthy koevs/hassli. Not too hard to do imo

(Sorry for terrible grammar on my phone)

Yohan
10-25-2012, 10:20 AM
I think drafting a striker is a must, because NCAA strikers rarely make huge impact right away (expect 5-6 goals first year, with regular first team mins) and they usually blossom in their 2nd year. If recent trends are any indication. And maybe not next season but season after, Koev and Hassli probably be retiring or something close

This Eriq Zavaleta kid looks to be interesting. New Andrew Wenger? (also highlights flaw of NCAA... why hasn't this kid be tied down to a position in his early 20s?)

TOBOR !
10-25-2012, 10:31 AM
calling ENBSports ; to thread.

on one hand it's inexplicable that Jeremy Hall cost us a 2nd round pick, but on the other we would probably have used it to draft a guy just like him anyway.

We better have a new FO in place before the draft goes, that's all I have to say.

Mariner and his crew have clearly demonstrated that they are poor evaluators of talent.

TOBOR !
10-25-2012, 10:34 AM
and what does any of this mean ?

could we be about to lose our first overall pick for Quincy Amerikwa ? Because I'll split my pants laughing if we do :

The following trades were announced without specifying which year or which draft (Super or Supplemental) the traded pick is in:
Conditional, Toronto FC → New York Red Bulls. 21 July 2012: New York Red Bulls acquired a conditional draft pick from Toronto FC in exchange for forward Quincy Amarikwa.[ref 21]
Conditional, Seattle Sounders → Real Salt Lake. 1 August 2012: Real Salt Lake acquired a conditional draft pick from Seattle Sounders FC in exchange for the MLS rights to midfielder Mario Martínez.[ref 22]
Conditional, Chicago Fire → Colorado Rapids. 10 September 2012: Colorado Rapids acquired a conditional draft pick from Chicago Fire in exchange for midfielder Wells Thompson.[ref 23]
Conditional, Seattle Sounders → Toronto FC. 14 September 2012: Toronto FC acquired a conditional draft pick and the #10 position in the MLS Allocation Order from Seattle Sounders FC in exchange for the #1 position in the MLS Allocation Order. Seattle used the Allocation pick to select goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann.[ref 24]

Yohan
10-25-2012, 10:35 AM
calling @ENBSports (http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/member.php?u=41912) ; to thread.

on one hand it's inexplicable that Jeremy Hall cost us a 2nd round pick, but on the other we would probably have used it to draft a guy just like him anyway.

We better have a new FO in place before the draft goes, that's all I have to say.

Mariner and his crew have clearly demonstrated that they are poor evaluators of talent.
A 2nd round pick in superdraft doesn't have much value, because a 2nd round pick rarely pans out. Hall for a 2nd rounder is pretty fair trade

Oldtimer
10-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Discuss the superdraft, speculations, scouting reports, how Mariner will screw this up, etc, here...

Mariner will screw this up.

Either he will trade the picks away for a bag of balls, or he will pick the talent equivalent of Hall.

Initial B
10-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Well, if we assume that Mariner was responsible for drafting Maund and Silva, it might work out okay. Drafts are pretty much a crapshoot anyways - it's not like you'll find a player to build a franchise around like they have in basketball.

Yohan
10-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Well, if we assume that Mariner was responsible for drafting Maund and Silva, it might work out okay. Drafts are pretty much a crapshoot anyways - it's not like you'll find a player to build a franchise around like they have in basketball.

Chicago: Sean Johnson
Chivas USA: Dan Kennedy
Colorado: Jeff Larentowicz
Columbus: Chad Marshall
DC United: Chris Pontius
Dallas: Kevin Hartmann
Houston: Brad Davis
LA: Omar Gonzalez
Montreal: Davy Arnaud
New England: nil
New York: Dax McCarthy
Philadelphia: Freddy Adu
Portland: Jack Jewsbury
Real Salt Lake: Nick Rimando (Beckerman would fit this, except he signed with MLS through Project 40)
San Jose: Chris Wondolowski
Seattle: Eddie Johnson
Sporting Kansas City: Graham Zusi
Toronto FC: lulz
Vancouver: Darren Mattocks (only because Kenny Miller is so poor)

Only New England and Toronto don't have a player that I'd consider a superstar for the team that was out of the Superdraft

Ajax TFC
10-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Mariner will trade it for international spots and discovery signings so he can sign more Bermudans.

Yohan
10-25-2012, 02:41 PM
I'm a big develop from youth academy guy, but there is still value in NCAA, for now.

Have a look at this list of potential defenders for USMNT. Most of them are MLS draft picks

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/10/usmnt-daily-update-the-need-for-more-defenders-and-the-ones-in-the-pipeline.html

Nuvinho
10-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Mikey Lopez...another Sam Cronin type?

DoubleUp
10-25-2012, 03:45 PM
The midfielder with the best "pass completion rate" or "dribbles completed" an engine.

Ajax TFC
10-25-2012, 07:31 PM
The midfielder with the best "pass completion rate" or "dribbles completed" an engine
...is the player we're least likely to pick.

razor787
10-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Chicago: Sean Johnson
Chivas USA: Dan Kennedy
Colorado: Jeff Larentowicz
Columbus: Chad Marshall
DC United: Chris Pontius
Dallas: Kevin Hartmann
Houston: Brad Davis
LA: Omar Gonzalez
Montreal: Davy Arnaud
New England: nil
New York: Dax McCarthy
Philadelphia: Freddy Adu
Portland: Jack Jewsbury
Real Salt Lake: Nick Rimando (Beckerman would fit this, except he signed with MLS through Project 40)
San Jose: Chris Wondolowski
Seattle: Eddie Johnson
Sporting Kansas City: Graham Zusi
Toronto FC: lulz
Vancouver: Darren Mattocks (only because Kenny Miller is so poor)

Only New England and Toronto don't have a player that I'd consider a superstar for the team that was out of the Superdraft

Maurice Edu was a draft pick.

Ajax TFC
10-25-2012, 08:10 PM
Maurice Edu was a draft pick.
That we no longer have. He's talking about the current rosters.

nonc
10-25-2012, 08:31 PM
A 2nd round pick in superdraft doesn't have much value, because a 2nd round pick rarely pans out. Hall for a 2nd rounder is pretty fair trade

i agree. Hall is very underwhelming but an NCAA 2nd rounder isn't an improvement. i would like to see MLS do away with the 2nd round, it's just a waste for all involved and suppresses Academy involvement, which should be emphasized more league-wide.

Soccerpro
10-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Austin Berry was picked #9 last year by Chicago. He's been great at CB for the Fire. Imagine if TFC could make smart picks like that.

Canary10
10-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Austin Berry was picked #9 last year by Chicago. He's been great at CB for the Fire. Imagine if TFC could make smart picks like that.

Matt Hedges went 11, and is rookie of the year candidate at Dallas. Two CBs we could have had who could be long-term quality in this league (if we were serious about filling what we all knew was our number one problem). The only thing is they have both been paired with a very good leader, which neither would have gotten here.

[NBF]
10-26-2012, 04:40 PM
IMO, if the 4-4-2(status quo) is the plan forward for TFC under Mariner or Cochrane they will need to find two very good players who can play centre back or defensive midfielder. I dont see this team being able to cope with a sustained attack if they dont find a David Edgar to pair with O'Dea and an Andre Bikey to solidify the defense and midfield.

*The reason why I say "sustained" is because the striker pairing of Koevermans and Hassli would not be able to outrun Paul Mariner on a counter so the strikers are going to have rely on a solid group of midfielders and defenders to repell a prolonged attack and then go on the offensive to supply service to the target strikers.

^---and when you read it like that you can tell why Heath would not want to work with drunken Mariner.

4-4-2(Hoofball):

------------------------------Frei----------------------------
------------------------------Kocic---------------------------
---------------------------(R)Roberts-------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------
Eckersley----(International)----------O'Dea---------Morgan
(Reserve)----------Henry---------------Maund-----------Emory
-----------------(Reserve)------------(Reserve)------(R)Pasher
--------------------------------------------------------------
--------------(International)---------------------------------
------------------Stinson---------------Silva-----------------
Lambe----------(Reserve)--------------Avila---------Johnson
(R)Cordon---------------------------(R)Camargo------(Backup)
-----------------------------------------------------(R)Lindsay
-------------------Hassli-------------------------------------
------------------Amarikwa-----------Koevermans------------
-----------------------------------------(Backup)---------------
-------------------------------------(R)Makubuya-------------

*Most likely whoever is in charge by the time TFC makes its draft picks, Im assuming they will take the best player available, but if the team does have a chance to draft a backup striker I think that would be a solid choice for a 1st round draft pick and if the NYRB dont end up taking TFC's 2nd round pick in the Amarikwa trade I'm expecting them to select a left winger if there's a good player available. The best selection with the 2nd rounder might be to trade it away for left winger Wells Thompson if the rumour is true he's on the transfer list.

*Im assuming that Joao Plata is gone. Others who I hope will go will probably be:

- Joao Plata
- Freddy Hall
- Jeremy Hall
- Andrew Wiedeman
- Dicoy Williams
- Torsten Frings

Sullivan
10-31-2012, 09:42 PM
This must be the earliest entry of our annual SuperDraft threads.

It's going to be tough to screw this pick up.

I'll offer 4 players to consider.

Andre Blake. Athletic & agile. 6'4".
Goalkeeper. UConn. MLS will be offering him a GenA deal.
Member of U18 & U20 Jamaican teams.
I've seen him play this year and last. He's vocal and very decisive, but has been prone to some bad decisions.
For those who remember my posts from prior drafts, I'm not a Ray Reid supporter. I think he's a terrible coach,
but a very good recruiter. His players that get drafted to the MLS are not ready to play pro (mentally or phyisically -
Julius James; O'Brien White; Toni Stahl; Akeem Priestly) they needed "serious seasoning". However, Blake is the
exception and the sooner he's out of the UCon program, the better pro he'll become.
If you believe in building from the net out, here's our keeper of the future.
If you believe in the theory of selecting the best player available, it's probably Andre Blake.

Dillion Powers.
Midfield. Notre Dame. Senior. He's been a GenA target the previous 2 SuperDrafts.
Very high football IQ.
Bigger, stronger and more skilled version of Sam Cronin.Versatile.
Notre Dame coach is ex pro, former Scottish Int'l Bobby Clark. He teaches his
players and prepares them to move on to the next level.
Powers is probably the player most likely ready to play MLS.
U.S. U-18 and U-20 national teams
Smart student, smart player, on every team, at every level he's become a team
leader and a dominant player.
I saw him play club at the Dallas Cup, and have seen Notre Dame a number of times during his 4 years there.
If you believe in the theory of selecting the best player ready to play now, it's Dillon Powers.

Walker Zimmerman.
CB. Furman. Lots of talk that he'll be pursued by MLS to sign as a GenA.
6'3, solid build. Natural right foot.
I've seen him play a few times this season, as my son is an assistant coach with another
Southern Conference team and I follow that program.
He makes good decisions, wins more battles than he loses.
Lot of NCAA people compare him to Omar Gonzalez.
2010 & 2011 US U-18 Men’s National Team - captain
He'll need transition time with solid coaching and good vets to ease him in.
If you believe in the theory of selecting players to add depth now and be a starter next year, here he is.

Mike Lopez
Midfield. UNC. Guys who breath NCAA soccer giving Lopez lots of love, and he's on MLS's short list for GenA.
My take is he's a smaller, craftier version of Mo Edu.
Was a dominant player last year as a freshman, and a major contributor to UNC's success.
Member of the U16, U18 & U20 USSF teams.
Thomas Rongen knows Lopez very well.
Lopez plays up to the level of competition.
Again, if you believe in the theory of selecting players to add depth now and be a starter next year, here is another player to watch.

prizby
11-01-2012, 09:31 AM

Michael Farfan, Tim Ream, Seth Sinovic, Justin Morrow, Steven Beitashour, AJ De La Garza, Milos Kocic, Graham Zusi, Shea Salinas, Eric Brunner, Eric Avila, Robbie Findlay, Dane Richards, Corey Ashe, Brad Evans, Jozy Altidore, Dominic Oduro...doesn't seem like a rarity

Fort York Redcoat
11-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Michael Farfan, Tim Ream, Seth Sinovic, Justin Morrow, Steven Beitashour, AJ De La Garza, Milos Kocic, Graham Zusi, Shea Salinas, Eric Brunner, Eric Avila, Robbie Findlay, Dane Richards, Corey Ashe, Brad Evans, Jozy Altidore, Dominic Oduro...doesn't seem like a rarity

Over how many years? Now what percentage is that overall?

It IS a nice thing to have 2 off your list on our team, though.

ryan
11-01-2012, 10:04 AM

I'd be willing to wager we'll have 0 off that list before not too long.

Fort York Redcoat
11-01-2012, 10:38 AM
I'd be willing to wager we'll have 0 off that list before not too long.

Yes but many of that list have moved on several times already. My point being how time spanning the list was.

Yohan
11-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Matt Hedges went 11, and is rookie of the year candidate at Dallas. Two CBs we could have had who could be long-term quality in this league (if we were serious about filling what we all knew was our number one problem). The only thing is they have both been paired with a very good leader, which neither would have gotten here.
considering quality of attackers in this year's superdraft, picking a CB (IIRC Hedges and Berry were ranked about mid pick level?) would have been stupid.

Yohan
11-01-2012, 12:43 PM
On average, you get about 2 starters out of 2nd round picks, and a lot of these guys only contribute after few years. Rarely a 2nd rounder makes an immediate impact. That's just above 10% chance that a 2nd rounder will pan out into something.

prizby
11-01-2012, 02:43 PM

On average, you get about 2 starters out of 2nd round picks, and a lot of these guys only contribute after few years. Rarely a 2nd rounder makes an immediate impact. That's just above 10% chance that a 2nd rounder will pan out into something.

That depends on how you measure a "rarity"...i'd say one player every 3 to 5 years...but if you're getting 2 a year on average, I wouldn't call that being "rare"

Yohan
11-01-2012, 02:51 PM
That depends on how you measure a "rarity"...i'd say one player every 3 to 5 years...but if you're getting 2 a year on average, I wouldn't call that being "rare"

you have to take into account that NCAA players needs about 2-3 seasons of regular game time before he proves himself to be starter worthy. in between that time, there's a lot of guess work to whether a player will pan out or not.

[NBF]
11-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Some mock draft sites have two strikers going 1 & 2 overall:

FW- Eriq Zavaleta(Sophomore from Indiana University): 6'1ft, 185lbs

FW- Mamadou Doudou Diouf(Junior from University of Connecticut): 6'1ft, 170lbs

Some of the top picks(FW,MF,DF) in the 1st round draft, range between 145-170lbs which has to be a deterrant for any serious MLS club that lacks size in all areas like TFC(specially in midfield). You could probably get away with a smaller forward, but I dont think you could get away with a waffer for a defender.

Three highly rated players with size that stand out:

FW- Eriq Zavaleta(Sophomore from Indiana University): 6'1ft, 185lbs

MF- Ryan Finley (Notre Dame): 6'0ft, 180lbs

DF- Kyle Venter (Junior from New Mexico): 6'3ft, 190lbs

*You gotta think these are the first 3 on everyone's list.

Oldtimer
11-06-2012, 08:43 AM
If Mariner doesn't screw this up by trading the pick in some ill-advised attempt to "win now," picking a striker with size would be the best idea for hoofball, and Eriq Zavaleta would be your man. It's not worth drafting an inexperienced defender when your defense is in such a mess as TFC's is.

Greatest Ripoff
11-06-2012, 09:04 AM
;1541301']

Some of the top picks(FW,MF,DF) in the 1st round draft, range between 145-170lbs which has to be a deterrant for any serious MLS club that lacks size in all areas like TFC(specially in midfield). You could probably get away with a smaller forward, but I dont think you could get away with a waffer for a defender.

Sorry but this is so backwards. I really hope they don't draft somone based on size. You don't need to be some big lumbering central midfielder to succeed in MLS. Look at Osvaldo Alonso, 5'11 165 lbs or Kyle Beckerman, 5'10 165 lbs. Pick the best player regardless of their size.

prizby
11-06-2012, 09:44 AM
if we are picking best player then we are picking andre blake...once a generation goalkeeper lol

Oldtimer
11-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Sorry but this is so backwards. I really hope they don't draft somone based on size. You don't need to be some big lumbering central midfielder to succeed in MLS. Look at Osvaldo Alonso, 5'11 165 lbs or Kyle Beckerman, 5'10 165 lbs. Pick the best player regardless of their size.

Sorry, with hoofball, hight matters a lot. Alonso and Beckerman don't do hoofball. If we were playing a different style, I'd totally agree with you.

Gazza
11-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Sorry, with hoofball, hight matters a lot. Alonso and Beckerman don't do hoofball. If we were playing a different style, I'd totally agree with you.

Smaller, skilled players will come in handy when Mariner is fired mid way through the season.

ENBSports
11-06-2012, 02:28 PM
This was my 2013 MLS DRAFT Prospect List prior to the 2012 NCAA soccer season - http://enbsports.blogspot.ca/2012/10/enbsports-2013-mls-draft-prospect-list_2.html

I will be updating the data with 2012 stats as well giving my prospect list and mock draft after the current NCAA season is complete although if available Gyasi Zardes, CSU Bakersfield - http://enbsports.blogspot.ca/2012/10/2013-mls-draft-ga-prospect-gyasi-zardes.html is still by far the best prospect in the draft. He might go to the Galaxy as a homegrown player or may also go to Europe. After that its a crap shoot as college play hasn't been great this season with very few players standing out other than Zardes.

ENBSports
11-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Today was tournament selection day for NCAA Division 1 (Go Irish!) so as I was updating stats for players who didn't make it here is my current top 20 prospects plus some sleepers

1. Gyasi Zardes, CSU Bakersfield FW - GA maybe Homegrown
2. Eriq Zavaleta, Indiana, FW/MF - GA
3. Carlos Alverez, UCONN, MF
4. Jared Watts, Wake Forest, MF - GA
5. Mark Sherrod, Memphis, FW - GA
6. Sebastien Ibeagha, Duke, MF - GA
7. Mikey Lopez, UNC, MF - GA
8. Chris Thomas, Elon, FW
9. Robbie Lovejoy, UNC, FW - GA
10. Scott Caldwell, Akron, MF - maybe Homegrown
11. Ryan Finlay, Notre Dame, FW
12. Kyle Venter, New Mexico, DF
13. London Woodberry, DF - Maybe Homegrown
14. Caleb Konstanski, Indiana, DF
15. Ashton Bennett, Coastal Carolina, FW
16. Matt Wiet, UCLA, DF
17. Jose Gomez, Creighton, MF
18. Dillon Powers, Notre Dame, MF
19. David Meves, Akron, GK
20. Ryan Hollingshead, UCLA, FW

Players who I like but not highly touted
Adam Jahn, Stanford, FW
Nicky McKain, Furman, DF
Jordan Godsay, Northern Illinois, GK
Leonardo Fernandes, Stony Brook, MF
Taylor Morgan, George Mason, FW

GA are players who are not Seniors and the MLS will have to give a GA contract to, the good thing is these players currently don't count against salary cap.
Homegrown is a new MLS thing with players instead being put in the draft they go to the MLS club that they trained with as a youth before college.

I will have my top 100 list with bio information and updated stats once the NCAA tournament is complete.

West220Side
11-23-2012, 07:09 AM
I'm getting better and better at starting rumors as the days pass.
So, just hear me out for a second, doing some research on these potential draft pick players I was researching Gyasi Zardes. Here's what I found out that was interesting.​

He's a LAG product, perhaps could be signed by them as a homegrown, yes?
Apparently his grandfather came from Brazil to the United States, domestic player.
Again, Apparently Thomas Rongen who was running the USMNT U-20's was interested in calling him up back in 2011. Connection? maybe.
Listed as 6'2 + 175lb
How he scores? Looks like he's got a bit of skill at bringing the ball down out of the air, also has some good footwork/ball control (source: http://vimeo.com/46848341​) but realistically, I don't see how you could expect him to translate that into everyday Major League Soccer play.

Year
GP
G
A

Totals

[*=left]Not sure if reliable source, but apparently his 2012 stats are something like 14 Games, 11 Goals, 8 Assists.

Cheers.
P.S. Just to compare some of our 'target man' forwards to this young man.

Danny Dichio, 6'3 + 200lbs
Danny Koevermans, 6'3 + 173lbs
Eric Hassli, 6'4 + 190lbs

DoubleUp
11-23-2012, 02:20 PM
I think we should go for Dillion Powers.

Yohan
11-23-2012, 11:47 PM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/11/sbi-2013-mls-draft-big-board-version-1-0.html

SBI write up of some of the players available for the draft

[NBF]
11-25-2012, 05:25 PM
SBI: (from one of the comments on the page)

Most of Akron’s top prospects are eligible for Homegrown contracts.

Caldwell – New England
Trapp – Columbus
Serna – Colorado
Yedlin – Seattle
Barson – Columbus
Gallego – New York
Souders – Columbus

Looks like none of the potential home grown’s on the board – Zardes, Zavaleta, Caldwell, Woodberry, Trapp, Ibeagha…

The only thing for me that really jumps out is the exclusion of Mamadou Diouf (Uconn)..

Home Grown Players:

Pro: I like this, because it benefits the kids who will now be able to get a pre-college training at TFCA and improve the college level tournaments as well.

Con?: This really thins out the MLS Draft. Maybe two more years and we'll be drafting the "Supplemental Draft" players now in the future MLS Draft.

gracos
11-25-2012, 05:37 PM
I know this might not sit pretty with a lot of us TFC fans, but I just dont think the solution will be here in the draft, however I would love to see us sign a partnership with a USL and NASL team so we can develop our players, I think players like Maund, Amarikwa, Weideman, and many others would have the opportunity to develop their skill and not be rushed up to the first team, unfortunately for example likes of Silva, and many others, I would love to see a partnership signed so we can develop both our team and national squads professionally, and make a difference in the long term

Yohan
11-29-2012, 04:08 PM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/11/2013-mls-draft-the-latest-on-the-generation-adidas-class.html

NCAA Generation Adidas class likely be smaller.

mcolvy
11-29-2012, 05:30 PM
J.J. Johnson is my pick..

moralis
11-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Here's Soccer By Ives MLS Draft Board (Version 2.0):

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/11/sbi-mls-draft-big-board-version-2-0.html

In addition, Paul Mariner told GOL TV's Lee Godfrey that he will at Saturday's game between Louisville and Maryland and also the final four on December 7.

http://www.ncaa.com/scoreboards/soccer-men/d1/2012/12/01

Morlesio14
12-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Probably going to select a midfielder now that we have got Braun. Hopefully he'll have a fresh start and shrug off his play in montreal and salt lake. I think Eriq Zavaleta can play both MF and ST so that's pretty good.

GuelphStorm2007
12-07-2012, 01:13 AM
I know this might not sit pretty with a lot of us TFC fans, but I just dont think the solution will be here in the draft, however I would love to see us sign a partnership with a USL and NASL team so we can develop our players, I think players like Maund, Amarikwa, Weideman, and many others would have the opportunity to develop their skill and not be rushed up to the first team, unfortunately for example likes of Silva, and many others, I would love to see a partnership signed so we can develop both our team and national squads professionally, and make a difference in the long term

That is a awesome Idea Gracos I was thinking that also I can see maYBe affiliating with with a team like Charleston Orlando or somebody I think it will be very Beneficial for both Parties

GuelphStorm2007
12-07-2012, 01:15 AM
My pick is Zardes and Hopefully Rongen can be a huge Influence in him coming here.

mcolvy
12-07-2012, 04:03 PM
If TFC don't select a defender in this draft Im going to lose my %$%#. There are a few solid defenders in the draft. There are no flashy forward players. All we will get is a Silva 2.0. Lets get a solid defender. This doesn't mean another Mauld.

jloome
12-07-2012, 04:59 PM
My pick is Zardes and Hopefully Rongen can be a huge Influence in him coming here.

The league has already declared him a Homegrown player for LA, so unless they want to trade him to us (which they'd be insane to do) we're not going to get him and he wont' be draft eligible. He's in Germany right now trialling at Freiburg and will probably get a deal in Europe.

We should take Zavaleta; perfect type of player for Danny K to tutor. The defender from New Mexico Kyle Venter might be a hedges type slot-right-in player.

moralis
12-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Paul Mariner at NCAA final four between Maryland vs. Georgetown (5 P.M.) and Creighton vs. Indiana (7:30 P.M.)

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/157574/1/watch--georgetown-vs-maryland:-college-soccer---mens-semifinal.html

flamehawk
12-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Paul Mariner at NCAA final four between Maryland vs. Georgetown (5 P.M.) and Creighton vs. Indiana (7:30 P.M.)

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/157574/1/watch--georgetown-vs-maryland:-college-soccer---mens-semifinal.html

Wow, the atmosphere is better than I thought it'd be.

moralis
12-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Paul Mariner at NCAA final four:

https://twitter.com/MLS_Insider/status/277190438094508033/photo/1

Morlesio14
12-07-2012, 11:21 PM
What about Dillon Powers. Reliable Midfielder.

TFC07
12-08-2012, 12:05 AM
What's the draft order in 2nd round? TFC might have a shot drafting Kyle Bekker.

golaso.gol
12-10-2012, 10:29 AM
What's the draft order in 2nd round? TFC might have a shot drafting Kyle Bekker.

Or maybe not (so late)?
Kyle Bekker trialing at Crystal Palace

http://www.cansoc.org/showthread.php?45797-Kyle-Bekker-at-Crystal-Palace

Trained at TFC under Winter, and last season with Seattle and Montreal during college offseason.
Will be a very good signing for any MLS squad if he decides to stay here and not sign overseas.

Ajax TFC
12-10-2012, 10:34 AM
If Bekker enters the draft, we should try to get a second first rounder to pick him up with. If he doesn't, could we put a discovery claim on him at some point in the future? or would he automatically go to allocation if he wanted to sign here later on?

Yohan
12-10-2012, 10:49 AM
If Bekker enters the draft, we should try to get a second first rounder to pick him up with. If he doesn't, could we put a discovery claim on him at some point in the future? or would he automatically go to allocation if he wanted to sign here later on?
or hope that Bekker falls to supplemental draft

ArmenJBX
12-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Does anyone else think that Ryan Finley looks like Stiffler from American Pie?

AdamAM
12-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Soooo... now that we got the 1st and 3rd picks, who would you guys choose? I'm going with Farrell at 1 and Powers/Gomez/Zavaleta at 3. Looking good :)

[NBF]
12-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Soooo... now that we got the 1st and 3rd picks, who would you guys choose? I'm going with Farrell at 1 and Powers/Gomez/Zavaleta at 3. Looking good :)

If its a central midfielder and a forward it will be a few good pick ups for TFC, but I'm curious why we had to give up R. Johnson and just draft a central midfielder. I wouldnt mind it if they went Mikey Lopez or Ryan Finley and a forward Mamadou Diof or Zavaletta.

Morlesio14
12-12-2012, 07:59 PM
What if we draft a right or left midfield. Those are some of the positions we need help with. Dont draft a CB. Mabye a RB or LB. what do you think we should draft.

TFC07
12-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Golden draft rule: you always draft the best player available. Never draft based on position especially team like TFC that needs talented players.

Morlesio14
12-13-2012, 08:01 AM
Should we trade the 1st overall pick? We should maybe shop the pick and see what we can get back.

bones
12-14-2012, 10:19 AM
In case anyone is interested, here is the list of the 54 players invited to the combine. I have sorted by position and then (I added) School ranking (based on final power rankings from NCAA). If we can grab a stud defender to bring into the mix that would be a good start no?

Name
Position
School
School Ranking

Tommy Muller
Defender
Georgetown

Jordan Gafa
Defender
North Carolina

Dylan Tucker-Gangnes
Defender
Washington

Danny Wenzel
Defender
Wake Forest

Kofi Opare
Defender
Michigan

Brenton Griffiths
Defender
USF

Joe Franco
Defender
CSUN

John Gallagher
Defender
Penn State

Shaun Foster
Defender
Hofstra

Eric Schoenle
Defender
West Virginia

Greg Cochrane
Defender/ Midfielder
Louisville

Taylor Kemp
Defender/Midfielder
Maryland

Jimmy Nealis
Defender/Midfielder
Georgetown

Andrew Ribeiro
Defender/Midfielder
Creighton

Korey Kindle
Defender/Midfielder
Bakersfield

Ryan Finley
Forward
Notre Dame

Devon Sandoval
Forward
New Mexico

Will Bates
Forward
Virginia

Don Anding
Forward
Northeastern

Ashton Bennett
Forward
Coastal Carolina

Chris Thomas
Forward
Elon

Yannik Smith
Forward
Old Dominion

Luke Spencer
Forward
Xavier

Erik Hurtado
Forward
SCU

Emery Welshman
Forward
Oregon State

Luis Soffner
Goalkeeper
Indiana

David Meves
Goalkeeper
Akron

Scott Goodwin
Goalkeeper
North Carolina

James Belshaw
Goalkeeper
Duke

Larry Jackson
Goalkeeper
SCU

Daniel Withrow
Goalkeeper
Marshall

Brad Stuver
Goalkeeper
Cleveland State

Dillon Powers
Midfielder
Notre Dame

John Stertzer
Midfielder
Maryland

Ian Christianson
Midfielder
Georgetown

Jose Gomez
Midfielder
Creighton

Fernando Monge
Midfielder
UCLA

Ryan Hollingshead
Midfielder
UCLA

Carlos Alvarez
Midfielder
Connecticut

Paolo DelPiccolo
Midfielder
Louisville

Donald Smith
Midfielder
Charlotte

Ben Fisk
Midfielder
Washington

Leston Paul
Midfielder
USF

Tommy (T.J.) Nelson
Midfielder
SMU

Danchrisandre Delgado
Midfielder
San Diego

Colin Murphy
Midfielder
Boston College

Kyle Bekker
Midfielder
Boston College

Machael David
Midfielder
UC Santa Barbara

Marc Cintron
Midfielder
Providence

Jonathan Mendoza
Midfielder
Stetson

Blake Smith
Midfielder/Forward
New Mexico

Paul Wyatt
Midfielder/Forward
James Madison

Uwem Etuk
Midfielder/Forward
West Virginia

Coleton Henning
Midfielder/Forward
Furman

mdc 77
12-14-2012, 01:02 PM
How does the MLS combine work? Do all top rated picks get invited? I don't see the projected #1 there, Andrew Farrell. From what I have read, and the little knowledge of American university sport I would say Farrell sounds like a great pickup.

Yohan
12-14-2012, 02:04 PM
How does the MLS combine work? Do all top rated picks get invited? I don't see the projected #1 there, Andrew Farrell. From what I have read, and the little knowledge of American university sport I would say Farrell sounds like a great pickup.

has yet to be invited since he hasn't signed a Generation Adidas contract yet IIRC

gdg_9
12-14-2012, 04:55 PM
So Ives has his Mock Draft up.

#1 - TFC - Farrel (CB)
#2 - Chivas - Lopez (MF)
#3 - TFC - Zimmerman (CB)

With the acquisition of Califf (it's being reported he's already agreed to a deal and now "can't wait to come north"), I see it as even more likely TFC trades the 1st overall pick.

Of the two CB's, Farrel is said to be the most MLS ready, while Zimmerman has the higher ceiling but is a longer term prospect.
I could still see TFC taking Zimmerman at #3 and pairing him with Henry for Reserve games and Canadian Championship / early CCL games.

Whichever one progresses the most in the next season or two takes over for Califf (who is already 32).

Hopefully in exchange for the #1 Overall, TFC can pick up a quality attacking MF starter, which has now become our biggest need.

DoubleUp
12-14-2012, 05:37 PM
If we use our pick on a Cb after bringing in califf, when Henry probably has more top level experience than any one we can bring out of the draft. We still dont have a clue.

Morlesio14
12-14-2012, 06:21 PM
If Mikey Lopez plays LM or RM or CAM, I want him.

moralis
12-14-2012, 07:11 PM
We will probably draft a centre back with the first or third pick. The talk right now is between Ferrell or Zimmerman. Depends if we trade one of them. Now we have starters Calif-O'Dea and on the bench with Doneil Henry and Logan Emory.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/12/sbi-2013-mls-mock-draft-version-1-0.html

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/2013-mls-superdraft-mock-draft-v-20_aid28251

AdamAM
12-14-2012, 08:00 PM
We should go Lopez 1st then either Farrell/Zavaleta/Zimmerman. Lopez is a must since our midfield is shit, then we get either a Striker (Zavaleta) or CB who can pair up With doneil (Zimmerman or Farrell)

Morlesio14
12-14-2012, 09:43 PM
Farrell and Lopez are hopefully our picks.

mcolvy
12-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Farrell and Lopez are hopefully our picks.

Zimmerman is the better defender between him and Farrell. Zimmerman just played on a weaker side then Farrell, who got a good look in the NCAA tourney. I think you want 2 of Zavaleta, Zimmerman, Farrell. But, you only want one CB (to then have him and Henry as your future). Unless we can guarentee Chivas go defender for their second pick. Zimmerman is the best draftable GA player, but I think (GA keeps salaries off our payroll) you go Zavaleta 1st overall and settle for maybe loosing Zimmerman and getting a solid plan b in farrell. Do not get lopez. His role is way better filled with actual talent. He will not be a good MLSer

Morlesio14
12-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Zimmerman is the better defender between him and Farrell. Zimmerman just played on a weaker side then Farrell, who got a good look in the NCAA tourney. I think you want 2 of Zavaleta, Zimmerman, Farrell. But, you only want one CB (to then have him and Henry as your future). Unless we can guarentee Chivas go defender for their second pick. Zimmerman is the best draftable GA player, but I think (GA keeps salaries off our payroll) you go Zavaleta 1st overall and settle for maybe loosing Zimmerman and getting a solid plan b in farrell. Do not get lopez. His role is way better filled with actual talent. He will not be a good MLSer

Ok sure, but we need a lot of help on the wings.

ArmenJBX
12-14-2012, 11:42 PM
We're in no way drafting two players.

Think about it. We traded Milos Kocic and Ryan Johnson for a pick. We're trading the number 1 overall to another team for a couple players. There's no way Toronto FC would draft two rookies. We need MLS starting Center Midfielders, so that's what we'll be focusing on.

Morlesio14
12-15-2012, 08:44 AM

Think about it. We traded Milos Kocic and Ryan Johnson for a pick. We're trading the number 1 overall to another team for a couple players. There's no way Toronto FC would draft two rookies. We need MLS starting Center Midfielders, so that's what we'll be focusing on.

You seem right I guess, Draft picks in the MLS is not as important than they are for other sports. I'm really unsure about who I'd pick if we only had the 3rd pick.

mcolvy
12-15-2012, 11:38 AM

I am almost certain that TFC will hold both the 1st and 3rd overall picks come the draft. If only this was a deeper one......

I dont see any team giving anything of substance to us for a high draft pick. I think, unless there is some very impressive offer, you keep that pick and grab a few potential studs. I could be wrong though. At the same time if we get offered a Nathan Sturgis, you dont make that trade. Couple years back CJ Sapong went by the TFC draft position that was stupidly traded away by Cochrane for a player who didnt fit into the new coaches style, before a new manager was chosen....

If we miss out on another like that I will lose my %^$#

ManUtd4ever
12-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Based on the shortcomings of the current roster, TFC needs to draft the best available midfielders with the #1 and #3 picks in my opinion. Ideally, a DM and a winger that are capable of evolving into quality MLS calibre starters.

Yohan
12-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Based on the shortcomings of the current roster, TFC needs to draft the best available midfielders with the #1 and #3 picks in my opinion. Ideally, a DM and a winger that are capable of evolving into quality MLS calibre starters.

TFC still needs #4 defender, assuming Emory is going to be primarily used as back up LB or #5 defender. Andrew Farrell or Walker Zimmerman are good choices if TFC is going to build for the future because Califf may last a year, maybe two max.

Use #1 pick on Mikey Lopez and take either Farrell or Zimmerman pending on who Chivas USA takes at #2. Or, take either Farrell or Zimmerman at #1 and Carlos Alvarez at #3.

Assuming TFC keeps both picks and no other offseason signing by Superdraft day.

mcolvy
12-15-2012, 01:16 PM

But we cant just pick players to fill our needs?? thats ridiculous. You pick best available, as these guys cant step in and play a full season of starting 11 football. Besides, NCAA is not a breeding ground for wingers this class. Most of the talent is CB, ST, or AM. Pretty focal positions on the pitch.

lopez isnt going 1st overall. I refuse to believe it.

Yohan
12-15-2012, 01:22 PM
lopez isnt going 1st overall. I refuse to believe it.

Nobody couldn't believe Omar Salgado went #1 in 2011

ag futbol
12-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Yeah, have to say if this draft class has any quality in it - in anyway whatsoever - I am bias towards holding onto these picks. They'll provide the easiest source of serviceable players at a cheap price.

The last time we had a couple of picks in the draft high up we took massive steps towards improving our team. Frei is still an asset to the squad (GK spot was questionable before that but has been solid ever since) and Cronin would be a huge asset too if Preki wasn't such an idiot who didn't understand the role of a modern central midfielder.

DoubleUp
12-15-2012, 03:06 PM
I would still go with Powers, is being touted as somebody that can come in and contribute right away.

Soccerpro
12-15-2012, 04:23 PM
I'd use one pick to select a CB. Farrel or Zimmerman. I'd cut Emery and have Henry and the draft selection as the two backup CB's. Use the other pick to select a dynamic offensive player.

TFC can't select two CB's who are stuck on the bench along with Henry. Signing Braun at over 100k was a mistake. A GA forward up front might help immediately and not count against the cap. The money they're wasting on Braun could go towards a good winger.

Yohan
12-15-2012, 04:24 PM
I'd use one pick to select a CB. Farrel or Zimmerman. I'd cut Emery and have Henry and the draft selection as the two backup CB's. Use the other pick to select a dynamic offensive player.

TFC can't select two CB's who are stuck on the bench along with Henry. Signing Braun at over 100k was a mistake. A GA forward up front might help immediately and not count against the cap. The money they're wasting on Braun could go towards a good winger.

you'd still need help at LB if you cut Emory

Soccerpro
12-15-2012, 04:49 PM
you'd still need help at LB if you cut Emory

As much as I dislike him, Jeremy Hall is advertised as a LB/RB/LM/RM by Mariner when he was signed. There's your cover.

Yohan
12-15-2012, 04:54 PM
As much as I dislike him, Jeremy Hall is advertised as a LB/RB/LM/RM by Mariner when he was signed. There's your cover.
Jeremy Hall was horrid whenever he played LB. I'd rather have Emory at min wage than relying on Hall to be sole back up FB

DichioTFC
12-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Does anyone know if Patrick Mullins of Maryland will be available for the SuperDraft? He'll be announced as the Hermann Trophy winner, for best collegiate player.

http://machermanntrophy.lockerdome.com/articles/102816194

mcolvy
12-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Does anyone know if Patrick Mullins of Maryland will be available for the SuperDraft? He'll be announced as the Hermann Trophy winner, for best collegiate player.

http://machermanntrophy.lockerdome.com/articles/102816194

That does not mean a thing. To win that trophy you need your team to go far in the tourney and have talent around you.
Im thinking we take a long look at EMA BOATENG. Kids a stud. In 10 years from now he might be the best product of the draft. He willl be available down the draft, so maybe you draft down? Get soemthing out of one of our picks?

But no Mullins. Please.

DichioTFC
12-15-2012, 05:58 PM
There's no way we can trade away the 1st pick IMO. Especially not with a sure thing available. MLS drafts are notorious for being hit-and-miss, having a top-tier player available and possessing the 1st pick overall, no way can they trade this ridiculously valuable asset.

It could be one of the worst decisions in Toronto draft history, potentially worse than Raptors drafting Araujo over Iguodala and Leafs drafting Tom Kurvers.

DichioTFC
12-15-2012, 06:09 PM
That does not mean a thing. To win that trophy you need your team to go far in the tourney and have talent around you.
Im thinking we take a long look at EMA BOATENG. Kids a stud. In 10 years from now he might be the best product of the draft. He willl be available down the draft, so maybe you draft down? Get soemthing out of one of our picks?

But no Mullins. Please.

I never said Toronto should take him with the 1st or 3rd picks, just wanted to know if he was available.

Boateng is a freshman. Neither he nor Brandon Allen will be entering the SuperDraft this year.

Red I
12-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Nobody couldn't believe Omar Salgado went #1 in 2011

Very true... I think with having the 3rd spot, the 1st pick will be more about who TFC doesn't want to get picked 2nd, rather than who they want 1st.

I don't really understand why Zavaletta isn't even on Ives' radar...

Yohan
12-18-2012, 11:12 AM
I don't really understand why Zavaletta isn't even on Ives' radar...the word is, Zavaleta isn't being offered a GA contract, hence making him ineligible for the draft

Red I
12-18-2012, 11:18 AM
the word is, Zavaleta isn't being offered a GA contract, hence making him ineligible for the draft

Ahh, if that is the case, that makes sense...

gdg_9
12-18-2012, 02:38 PM
I really think TFC should deal the #1 overall.

Word is Farrell is becoming the consensus 1st pick, and that there are a few teams that covet him.
Create a bidding war among those teams to try and drive up the price, then take the best offer.

I would aim for another pick a bit later in the 1st round, and an MLS caliber player to help bolster the MF.

Despite likely losing out on Farrell, TFC still has the #3 overall, and it is VERY probable that Zimmerman will still be available at that pick. (Rumour has Chivas taking Mexican-American MF Lopez at #2)

Many scouts believe that Zimmerman has the potential to be the better player long-term anyway, but is not as MLS-ready as Farrell for this coming season.

TFC doesn't need a starting CB for this season (Califf-O'Dea have that covered), but with Califf's age, they will need one in the not-so-distant future.
Let Henry and Zimmerman battle it out for that spot.

With the later pick, TFC can still draft a FW or AM.
There doesn't really seem to be much consensus on the top attacking players in this draft anyway.
So the player you pick later may have just as good a chance to work out as the player you would have chosen if you had used the higher pick to draft based on positional need. (Or the same player you would have picked could even fall that far)

PLUS you add an extra piece(s) - ideally a quality MLS MF - that is sorely needed for this season.

AdamAM
12-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Agreed x1000000000

Morlesio14
12-18-2012, 04:10 PM
I really think TFC should deal the #1 overall.

Word is Farrell is becoming the consensus 1st pick, and that there are a few teams that covet him.
Create a bidding war among those teams to try and drive up the price, then take the best offer.

I would aim for another pick a bit later in the 1st round, and an MLS caliber player to help bolster the MF.

Despite likely losing out on Farrell, TFC still has the #3 overall, and it is VERY probable that Zimmerman will still be available at that pick. (Rumour has Chivas taking Mexican-American MF Lopez at #2)

Many scouts believe that Zimmerman has the potential to be the better player long-term anyway, but is not as MLS-ready as Farrell for this coming season.

TFC doesn't need a starting CB for this season (Califf-O'Dea have that covered), but with Califf's age, they will need one in the not-so-distant future.
Let Henry and Zimmerman battle it out for that spot.

With the later pick, TFC can still draft a FW or AM.
There doesn't really seem to be much consensus on the top attacking players in this draft anyway.
So the player you pick later may have just as good a chance to work out as the player you would have chosen if you had used the higher pick to draft based on positional need. (Or the same player you would have picked could even fall that far)

PLUS you add an extra piece(s) - ideally a quality MLS MF - that is sorely needed for this season.

Yes i also partly agree. See what we can get from the first pick. If nobody offers something good just keep it and draft. It's a win-win situation.

Nuvinho
12-18-2012, 04:16 PM
try to get a 1st rounder for next year, a player who can start this year, and allocation money.

jloome
12-18-2012, 08:23 PM

But no Mullins. Please.

Yeah, Mullins scares me solid; they talk about all his improvement but statistically his supposedly lethal finishing is 1-in-5, which isn't so hot. And that's his IMPROVED finishing.

There's a rumor Boateng might be offered a GA deal this year. He has huge upside; also Kekuta Manneh, the teenager who has been playing in the PDL and USL pro is a proven talent even though he's so young.

If I were picking based on looking at what we already have in our ranks, I would trade the top pick for a slightly later one and assets, then take Walker Zimmerman with the number three pick and either Eric Hurtado, Blake Smith or Taylor Kemp with our second. All three play wide well enough allegedly to transfer to MLS; Kemp is a left back but has speed and can beat guys on the dribble and projects well as an MLS wide player.

TFC07
12-18-2012, 09:02 PM
TFC should trade both picks for proven MLS talented players. This draft is filled with CB's which isn't greatest need for TFC right now. TFC has enough young talent already so it's better they get veteran players to come in and contribute right away.

Red I
12-20-2012, 12:25 PM
TFC should trade both picks for proven MLS talented players. This draft is filled with CB's which isn't greatest need for TFC right now. TFC has enough young talent already so it's better they get veteran players to come in and contribute right away.

I agree and disagree, somewhat. I don't think Toronto has the talent or depth to be able to identify and address all it's needs this offseason, and is kind of stuck in it's rebuilding. Considering it's the last year on contract for Frings and DK (plus Payne's comments signifying a wanting more younger guys in those DP roles), the team will maybe get guys who would take a a year to polish good core skills, find skilled, serviceable replacements for those DP's after their contracts are over, and take it from there. I think though, by moving one for a veteran, TFC can achieve both objectives of improving now and developing for later, so i think they will move the #1 (if no one will take the #3) for a solid pro.

But knowing the team's track record, moving a top pick will totally come back to haunt them, i fear.

Red I
12-20-2012, 12:30 PM
This draft is filled with CB's which isn't greatest need for TFC right now.

I'm not entirely sold on Califf. I'm pretty sure i saw him get red-carded for pulling down/clothslining De Guz on a break - anyone who makes De Guzman look good has my concern

spark
12-20-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm not entirely sold on Califf. I'm pretty sure i saw him get red-carded for pulling down/clothslining De Guz on a break - anyone who makes De Guzman look good has my concern

You should have provided that thorough scouting report to TFC before they signed him.

Oldtimer
12-20-2012, 01:06 PM

Payne's philosophy is to go with players that can be with you 4-5 years. While that doesn't necessarily mean going with the draft pick (although DC United tended to keep their picks), it precludes the typical Toronto thing of getting some aging veteran to "win now" (which doesn't work anyhow because you end up needing another aging player in 2 years which means your team never jells).

ag futbol
12-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Payne's philosophy is to go with players that can be with you 4-5 years. While that doesn't necessarily mean going with the draft pick (although DC United tended to keep their picks), it precludes the typical Toronto thing of getting some aging veteran to "win now" (which doesn't work anyhow because you end up needing another aging player in 2 years which means your team never jells).
Yeah I agree with this fully, it might take a lot longer to pan out, and some players might bust, but if they turn out it's the best path.

Guys like Chris Pontius and Brandon McDonald are very hard to trade for within MLS. Teams try to hold on to those type of domestics tooth and nail. That's one of the most fundamental reasons why Mo Johnston failed IMO, he was always trying to sling trades but the players you absolutely need to win are just not on the block. Houston isn't trading Brad Davis, Columbus wasn't going to trade Chad Marshall, New England wasn't going to let go of Twellman, those assets aren't movable. You'll never get fair value.

So it's best to hold onto top picks and develop them in house, providing you've got the scouting right.

Yohan
12-20-2012, 01:22 PM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/12/breaking-farrell-zimmerman-among-players-to-sign-generation-adidas-deals.html

Update on who signed on for the draft

gdg_9
12-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Very good chance TFC trades #1 Overall now after landing 21 year-old CB Agbossoumonde today.

Yohan
12-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Toronto got SJ's 1st round, 2nd overall pick in 09 for Ronnie O'Brien
SJ got KC's first overall pick in 08 for... Nick Garcia

Basically, a good starter in MLS

gdg_9
12-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Meh, I'd still keep the picks.

I'd try to trade down.

Still stay within the top 10 to grab a second GA player, but also get an extra asset (allocation $, etc.)

There's no room for Farrell now.

ManUtd4ever
12-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Keep the picks, and draft the best midfielders/forwards available, unless a MLS team makes a ridiculous offer that's too good to refuse.

It's not everyday that a team gets to draft two of the top three players in the Superdraft.

gdg_9
12-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Keep the picks, and draft the best midfielders/forwards available, unless an MLS team makes a ridiculous offer that's too good to refuse.

It's not everyday that a team gets to draft two of the top three players in the Superdraft.

These two comments contradict eachother.
General consensus among scouts is that two of the top three players are CB.

The top two MF/FW will not both be rated in the top 3 of the draft.

It makes more sense to trade down, still get the top or second best FW/MF in the draft at #3 overall, then get another top 5 or 10 FW/MF plus an extra piece (allocation $, etc.)

ManUtd4ever
12-20-2012, 03:54 PM
These two comments contradict eachother.
General consensus among scouts is that two of the top three players are CB.

The top two MF/FW will not both be rated in the top 3 of the draft.

Given our surplus of CB's on the current roster, I was referring to the best midfielders/forwards available at the #1 and #3 slots. In other words, it's not everyday that a club gets to draft 2 of the top 3 players available at the draft specific to that club's needs.

golaso.gol
12-20-2012, 05:22 PM
Twitter conversation on TFC and draft by @travismclark

@Sean Keay 3h : No need to draft a CB now, lets focus on a midfielder… preferably Mikey Lopez
@travismclark 3h : @SeanKeay deal the No. 1 pick too. or No. 3. Team wants Bekker, from what I hear.
‏@ThatOlCeePee 3h : @travismclark isn't Bekker going overseas?
‏@travismclark 3h : @ThatOlCeePee if he can get a work permit, he might sign with Crystal Palace. Unclear if that will happen.

So the answer wrt playmaking midfielder for TFC is Bekker. Quality pick from many aspects.

QSIM
12-21-2012, 12:19 AM
kyle bekker was on trial a few years ago...not sure what that might say about his talents or why we passed him up etc?

TFC07
12-21-2012, 03:36 AM
I believe Bekker was offer a contract from TFC, but he decided to go to college instead. I believe TFC tried to claim Bekker as a homegrown player so they wouldn't have to draft him, but MLS decline them.

prizby
12-21-2012, 08:36 AM
bekker is a late first/early 2nd pick at best...not sure why anyone would pick them at #3...if TFC want him, could see tfc trading down for a pick + allocation

TFC07
12-21-2012, 01:09 PM
I believe Bekker draft stock is low because he counts as an international to US teams. Plus with his trial in England, many people think he wouldn't come to MLS now unless Bekker can't get a work permit in UK. I don't think TFC are going to use their 3rd pick on him, but I am sure there will trade first pick for a lower pick plus a player so they can draft Bekker.

jloome
12-21-2012, 05:23 PM
I believe Bekker draft stock is low because he counts as an international to US teams. Plus with his trial in England, many people think he wouldn't come to MLS now unless Bekker can't get a work permit in UK. I don't think TFC are going to use their 3rd pick on him, but I am sure there will trade first pick for a lower pick plus a player so they can draft Bekker.

There are better prospects than Bekker; I simply can't see us taking a guy rated in the 18-30 slots with either of the top two picks.

It's a hard draft to call. I've been watching a lot of vid, but every guy looks good against college defending. If I had to take a "pure talent" flyer, I would take Kekuta Manneh with the first pick, as he's a natural finisher and can do so at pace (like Mattocks, but probably not as fast), knows how to run off a defender's shoulder already and has scored profically everywhere he's gone. With a good setup man in the midfield, he'll score goals in bunches.

With the second pick I would take Erik Hurtado, as he's added a lot of strength in college and he's already very fast and technically able to beat defenders, as well as finish. He's got a really huge upside in that he can play both wide and inside. The one knock is that I haven't seen much of how he crosses the ball, but they'll play him wide at the combine where he'll face tighter marking so he could be interesting.

I know the experts are all hot on Farrell, Zimmerman and Lopez, but the two former pose roster problems for a team now four-deep at centre back and the latter is a smaller Luis Silva, a true number 10. Hurtado is probably the most complete power forward/winger in the draft and Manneh is a special talent who finds space and just doesn't miss the net, ever.

polak9pete
12-21-2012, 08:53 PM
im pretty sure Kyle Bekker was never offered a contract by TFC. He trained with the team in his college offseason because he was a local kid and potential future draft pick. There's no chance TFC would get him on a homegrown because his ontario rep team (Oakville BlueStars) weren't affiliated with TFC whatsover.

If he doesn't go to Palace and pursues MLS, he might be available in the early rounds of the Supp Draft.

Pendrith
12-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Looks like TFC are set at the back for 2013. I think they should trade down their picks and pickup some midfield help and allocation money from the trade. TFC are still very weak at midfield. They could get two midfield starters who can help right away and use the allocation money to sign additional players.

Morlesio14
12-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Looks like TFC are set at the back for 2013. I think they should trade down their picks and pickup some midfield help and allocation money from the trade. TFC are still very weak at midfield. They could get two midfield starters who can help right away and use the allocation money to sign additional players.

Agreed!!!!!!!

ag futbol
12-27-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm not so sure we are going to pass up the chance to take a quality defender.

If boss was in the draft, anyone think he'd be as highly rated as the top 1-2 CBs? I have my doubts. I think we're going to stack the deck and it will be a trial by fire to see who gets PT. I would feel a lot more confident adding an advertised game-ready Farrell to the roster than be stuck between our old/slow starters and our new/inexperienced backups.

golaso.gol
12-27-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm not so sure we are going to pass up the chance to take a quality defender.

If boss was in the draft, anyone think he'd be as highly rated as the top 1-2 CBs? I have my doubts. I think we're going to stack the deck and it will be a trial by fire to see who gets PT. I would feel a lot more confident adding an advertised game-ready Farrell to the roster than be stuck between our old/slow starters and our new/inexperienced backups.

I think its wide open still in terms of what goes down on draft day. My feeling is what Pendrith says is what TFC wants- but of course they need to find a willing taker for the high picks. Otherwise they need to draft best players available at their picks.

If gale was in draft he would be very highly regarded, moreso than the other two mentioned. He is a US youth international (which matters in MLS) and was a player many saw with a bright future in the international game and as a pillar of US MNT defense. Of course it didnt work out that way for many reasons, but its always easy to look back now. If he was in draft he would be right up there no doubt. Zimmerman has some exposure through youth national teams which helps him, and Farrell no international experience from what i know. But in general its tough as many of us on this board and in general have not seen enough youth/college soccer to make a qualified judgement that these are sure picks. The same can be said about media, as very few follow the game that closely.

In the end Im hopeful it all works out for TFC, and they make decision possible with whatever picks they go to draft with

golaso.gol
12-27-2012, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE=jloome;1548986]There are better prospects than Bekker; I simply can't see us taking a guy rated in the 18-30 slots with either of the top two picks.

Travis Clark ‏@travismclark Received word that Kyle Bekker, Canadian MF from Boston College, extended an offer from MLS to sign before the draft.

Last year the four seniors signed pre-draft went #4, 5, 7, 14

Pendrith
12-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Looks like TFC has signed Honduran midfielder Arnold Peralta. Midfield starting to take shape. Perhaps TFC can address their midfiled weakness by signing players instead of trading their #1 and # 3 picks. It will take more now for TFC to trade their picks.

ag futbol
12-27-2012, 08:35 PM
If gale was in draft he would be very highly regarded, moreso than the other two mentioned. He is a US youth international (which matters in MLS) and was a player many saw with a bright future in the international game and as a pillar of US MNT defense. Of course it didnt work out that way for many reasons, but its always easy to look back now. If he was in draft he would be right up there no doubt. Zimmerman has some exposure through youth national teams which helps him, and Farrell no international experience from what i know. But in general its tough as many of us on this board and in general have not seen enough youth/college soccer to make a qualified judgement that these are sure picks. The same can be said about media, as very few follow the game that closely.
All fair points.

In my opinion, I think a lot of what is being attached to this guy is based on past reputation however. I sympathize with his bouncing around given the bad deal he had with traffic, but at the same time I wonder about the impact of that on him as a player. The cycle he went through with the U20s wasn't exactly the best and that team looked downright awful at times unfortunately. I'll admit I haven't seen much of his play, but I think the profile's a little funny to say the least.

Tee Ef See
01-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Even with the 'Boss' signing we are not set at the back. And with these picks you draft best player available.

Zimmerman I feel is the safest prospect to have an impact. He should be one of the picks.

The other pick should be, Lopez or Farrell.

Building from the back out.

Red I
01-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Even with the 'Boss' signing we are not set at the back. And with these picks you draft best player available.

Zimmerman I feel is the safest prospect to have an impact. He should be one of the picks.

The other pick should be, Lopez or Farrell.

Building from the back out.

I agree with Zimmerman as a pick - Really good in air, tall big CB, gets on end of crosses - might have to develop a little to get used to MLS, but a really solid future - great for corners and set pieces

If Toronto is able to get the Honduran midfielders they are pursuing, i don't think there is a glaring need for someone like Lopez, as Dunfield is a decent box-to-box guy (off the bench, hopefully) and Peralta maybe can do that - his write-up makes it seem like he is talented, but really raw - i think Stinson might have a headstart on this kid in this respect

i like the look of Johnson; looks like a talented guy who also fills a need - winger/midfielder - seems like a tricky dribbling guy who likes to go out wide, not unlike the last jamaican forward we had - might be a good pick that adds depth in a kind of open part of the lineup for starters

EDIT: Though it would go against philosphy of getting best available player, from what the consensus seems to think

Yohan
01-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Eriq Zavaleta signed to a GA deal

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/01/zavaleta-signs-generation-adidas-deal.html

GuelphStorm2007
01-05-2013, 04:01 PM
My pick is Lopez because we need some Midfield help immediatley.

ArmenJBX
01-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Scenario 1:

Toronto FC trades picks one and three for three (possibly four) good, MLS-quality players, preferably wingers and midfielders. This can be done if Toronto FC trades with the likes of LA, San Jose or Kansas who sit pretty low on the draft board but will be looking to reinforce their rosters with quality youth.

Scenario 2:

Toronto FC trades pick one to any team who can offer them good value, and drafts, with number 3, Eriq Zavaleta, unless he is taken, in which case, Toronto FC should sign Andrew Farrell, unless, he, too, is taken, in which case Toronto FC should sign either Mikey Lopez or Walker Zimmerman, in this order.

Scenario 3:

Toronto FC keeps both pick one and three, they should sign, in this order.
1. Toronto, first pick, Eriq Zavaleta
2. Chivas -> Mikey Lopez/Andrew Farrell
3. Whomever Chivas doesn't select (ex. Chivas select Lopez, Toronto FC pick Farrell).

Scenario 4:

Toronto FC plays hostage-taker.
Chivas USA is really, really into Mikey Lopez. They want him, badly, by the sounds of it.

Toronto FC can offer to swap pick 1 for Chivas' pick 2, plus a player like Ben Zemanski (tremendously underrated defensive midfielder). Chivas can then select Mikey Lopez first overall. If Chivas refuses this offer, Toronto FC can take Mikey Lopez as hostage.

Then, Chivas will select one of Zavaleta or Farrell. Toronto FC can live without either of them. Toronto FC then offer Lopez to Chivas USA in exchange for Zemanski + allocation. In both cases, Toronto FC walk away with a player better than the draft offering at #1, and can still use their third pick on whoever Chivas doesn't take (ie. if Chivas select Farrell at 2, Toronto FC still get Zavaleta, or vice versa).

This is my preferred option, since I have a feeling Chivas will be willing to swap pick 2 + player for pick 1 to guarantee their acquisition of Mikey Lopez, so long as Toronto FC threaten them with the alternative that denying this offer means losing Lopez. If Toronto FC doesn't get a trade in Lopez, they still get a quality midfielder, plus pick 3 can give them whichever player Chivas doesn't select, still. Two solid picks, no harm, no foul.

Scenario 5:

Toronto FC trade both picks to, say, D.C. United, and we can be reunited with our good friend Dwayne De Rosario (apply this double-draft pick for superstar stud to Seattle/RSL/Kansas, etc.)

Scenario 6:

Toronto FC shock the world, draft two nobodies, gives MLS the finger, forms their own league, win their first (and only) Toronto FC League Playoffs.

Morlesio14
01-06-2013, 12:54 AM
Scenario 1:

Toronto FC trades picks one and three for three (possibly four) good, MLS-quality players, preferably wingers and midfielders. This can be done if Toronto FC trades with the likes of LA, San Jose or Kansas who sit pretty low on the draft board but will be looking to reinforce their rosters with quality youth.

Scenario 2:

Toronto FC trades pick one to any team who can offer them good value, and drafts, with number 3, Eriq Zavaleta, unless he is taken, in which case, Toronto FC should sign Andrew Farrell, unless, he, too, is taken, in which case Toronto FC should sign either Mikey Lopez or Walker Zimmerman, in this order.

Scenario 3:

Toronto FC keeps both pick one and three, they should sign, in this order.
1. Toronto, first pick, Eriq Zavaleta
2. Chivas -> Mikey Lopez/Andrew Farrell
3. Whomever Chivas doesn't select (ex. Chivas select Lopez, Toronto FC pick Farrell).

Scenario 4:

Toronto FC plays hostage-taker.
Chivas USA is really, really into Mikey Lopez. They want him, badly, by the sounds of it.

Toronto FC can offer to swap pick 1 for Chivas' pick 2, plus a player like Ben Zemanski (tremendously underrated defensive midfielder). Chivas can then select Mikey Lopez first overall. If Chivas refuses this offer, Toronto FC can take Mikey Lopez as hostage.

Then, Chivas will select one of Zavaleta or Farrell. Toronto FC can live without either of them. Toronto FC then offer Lopez to Chivas USA in exchange for Zemanski + allocation. In both cases, Toronto FC walk away with a player better than the draft offering at #1, and can still use their third pick on whoever Chivas doesn't take (ie. if Chivas select Farrell at 2, Toronto FC still get Zavaleta, or vice versa).

This is my preferred option, since I have a feeling Chivas will be willing to swap pick 2 + player for pick 1 to guarantee their acquisition of Mikey Lopez, so long as Toronto FC threaten them with the alternative that denying this offer means losing Lopez. If Toronto FC doesn't get a trade in Lopez, they still get a quality midfielder, plus pick 3 can give them whichever player Chivas doesn't select, still. Two solid picks, no harm, no foul.

Scenario 5:

Toronto FC trade both picks to, say, D.C. United, and we can be reunited with our good friend Dwayne De Rosario (apply this double-draft pick for superstar stud to Seattle/RSL/Kansas, etc.)

Scenario 6:

Toronto FC shock the world, draft two nobodies, gives MLS the finger, forms their own league, win their first (and only) Toronto FC League Playoffs.

Cool post. I'd choose scenario one. I wouldn't mind zemanski but defensive midfielder is not important right now. It's about the wingers and attacking midfielders. Is there any in the mls we could try and trade for?

mowe
01-06-2013, 01:40 AM
Scenario 2:

Wow, by far the most commas I've ever seen in one sentence. My head hurts.

Anyway, I'm curious as to why you have Zavaleta as your top pick. According to Ives he projects as a CB. In which case I would rather have Farrell or Zimmerman. But ideally we grab a midfielder or forward with one pick and trade the other. Personally I would just like to see us end up with two starters by the end of the draft.

This draft is going to be very interesting just because there's so many options for TFC. It's time to see what Payne can do. He has assets to play with, it's up to him to improve the team.

ArmenJBX
01-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Ives may call him a CB but I call him a forward and the 2012 Offensive Player of the Year at that!

In Zavaleta, Toronto FC get the most ready-made MLS player available, and a player, like Andrew Wenger, who can play in multiple positions well.

Plus, if a CB can score with the frequency that Zavaleta did in 2012, that's the sign of a good, all-around footballer.

Yohan
01-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Ives may call him a CB but I call him a forward and the 2012 Offensive Player of the Year at that!

In Zavaleta, Toronto FC get the most ready-made MLS player available, and a player, like Andrew Wenger, who can play in multiple positions well.

Plus, if a CB can score with the frequency that Zavaleta did in 2012, that's the sign of a good, all-around footballer.

another reason why I dislike NCAA. fucks up player development because at his age, Zavaleta should have been polishing up his skills in his primary position, not running around trying to learn another position.

Yes, I know players learn new position even at highest level, but I don't think NCAA really cares about player development

arsenal
01-06-2013, 12:55 PM

Everything I read on Zavaleta as a forward points to a big talented powerful forward with good instincts. He seems the perfect fit to replace Koevs and a guy who would be able to learn a great deal from him. . Bring him in to learn and get limited minutes to keep his GA status for a year or two.

SigmaFC
01-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Just to set the record straight, or at least make it more accurate. Kyle played with Oakville a long time ago. He moved to Dixie for two seasons, and joined Sigma FC as a 15 year old in 2006. He gets claimed by Oakville a lot, and while he definitely began his journey there, he has also accomplished a lot while at Sigma. This is not meant to offend anyone, just give some details that seem to go missing. It was Sigma that arranged for Kyle to train with TFC, largely because Winter and De Klerk remembered him from his time spent at Ajax, and that stint was made possible by Kyle's strong play while on tour with Sigma in Holland in 2007.

im pretty sure Kyle Bekker was never offered a contract by TFC. He trained with the team in his college offseason because he was a local kid and potential future draft pick. There's no chance TFC would get him on a homegrown because his ontario rep team (Oakville BlueStars) weren't affiliated with TFC whatsover.

If he doesn't go to Palace and pursues MLS, he might be available in the early rounds of the Supp Draft.

jloome
01-06-2013, 01:42 PM

Not just Ives. MLS scouts don't think he's necessarily ready for Prime Time and there's real concern he doesn't have the game instincts yet, particularly for striker, which is why he's being projected as a defender.

He won't go first.

My guess is that Andrew Farrell will go first to whomever TFC trades the pick, then Zimmerman or Jason Johnson (he's apparently stopped going by JJ.)

Of the guys I've watched on video, Johnson appears most ready to step up and play from day one, although Zimmerman has the potential, too.

They like Farrell because he's a monster athlete. No matter where he plays he'll be league-ready by the end of year one.

Yohan
01-06-2013, 08:39 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2013/01/06/cdn_bekker_signs_mls_contract_team_tbd/

Kyle Bekker signs for MLS and available for the draft

mcolvy
01-07-2013, 02:57 AM
All this talk about positions with these kids is nonsense. It obviously isnt ideal college players get switched around but lets not kid ourselves and pretend like this doesnt happen in junior leagues across the globe (albeit usually 19 and under but we are still behind).
When coaches want to win at a low level they tend to use their best player to score then sit back as a CB to protect them or protect then score when need be. Doesnt mean these guys arent quality. You put john terry as a striker in MLS he probably score aton. Quality can translate across the field.

Hell brek shea was drafted as a CB. (Though he would get minutes as a striker most games) and look at him now sitting on the wing.... Even though he should be a wingback (fullback).

Yohan
01-07-2013, 09:57 AM
All this talk about positions with these kids is nonsense. It obviously isnt ideal college players get switched around but lets not kid ourselves and pretend like this doesnt happen in junior leagues across the globe (albeit usually 19 and under but we are still behind).
When coaches want to win at a low level they tend to use their best player to score then sit back as a CB to protect them or protect then score when need be. Doesnt mean these guys arent quality. You put john terry as a striker in MLS he probably score aton. Quality can translate across the field.

Hell brek shea was drafted as a CB. (Though he would get minutes as a striker most games) and look at him now sitting on the wing.... Even though he should be a wingback (fullback).

Brek Shea was drafted at 18... Zavaleta will be 21 in Feb. A bit of difference when converting someone into a position

Canary10
01-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Players should be in a position in their early teens. Having a guy play everything on the pitch at the age of 21 is bizarre. I agree with Yohan, this is the NCAA not knowing how to develop a player.

Yohan
01-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Connecticut midfielder Carlos Alvarez, Boston College midfielder Kyle Bekker, Maryland's John Stertzer and Notre Dame duo Ryan Finley and Dillon Powers signed by MLS

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/01/07/mls-announces-signing-5-college-seniors-ahead-draft

Sullivan
01-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Combine starts Friday.
I've heard 4 international players have accepted invitations to the combine (remember Plata (2011)).

Keep hearing Tom Payne is doing advance work for TFC, he is ex prez of ops for LA Galaxy and
younger brother of Tom.

Yohan
01-10-2013, 09:45 AM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2013/news/article/2013/01/10/mlssoccercoms-2013-mock-draft-pre-combine-edition

interesting of them has TFC drafting Kyle Bekker at 3

PopePouri
01-10-2013, 09:53 AM
I like Saghini's picks. I doubt we'll take 2 CBs. Mostly we'll take one and then a midfielder or striker.

Yohan
01-10-2013, 12:44 PM
DeShorn Brown and Kekuta Manneh signed to GA deals
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/01/10/mls-inks-two-more-players-2013-generation-adidas-deals

jloome
01-10-2013, 01:26 PM
DeShorn Brown and Kekuta Manneh signed to GA deals
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/01/10/mls-inks-two-more-players-2013-generation-adidas-deals

Tough calls all around now.

Jason Johnson is a beast. He's strong, but also can beat a guy on the dribble and shoot. Manneh is very fast and a quality finisher, and only 18.

Zimmerman is injured for the combine.

I wonder if we'll trade down pick one for a couple of established midfielders, then go after Johnson or Manneh with one of the other two picks?

Yohan
01-10-2013, 03:03 PM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/01/mls-adds-brown-and-manneh-to-ga-class-13-others-to-combine-player-list.html

4 internationals at combine
Motagua MF Junior Padilla (Honduras)
Barranquilla MF Franco Donado (Colombia)
Fluminense MF Stefano Pinho (Brazil) http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/stefano-souza-pinho
LDU Quito F Kevin Mercado (Ecuador)

Yohan
01-10-2013, 03:04 PM
teams for the combine

http://www.mlssoccer.com/es/node/209063

Yohan
01-10-2013, 03:43 PM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/01/sbi-2013-mls-draft-big-board-version-4-0.html

Ives mock draft v4

West220Side
01-11-2013, 10:07 AM
If we take Kyle Bekker so high up like many (AMERICAN) mls reporters are saying i'll be disappointed. Mainly because there only reasoning is him being Canadian. Well, we have our own pool of local product hardly worth wasting a pick to bring the boy home.

No matter what I see us taking Andrew Farrell or Walker Zimmermann with the first pick. I don't watch enough college soccer to know, but apparently the only difference is one isn't as 'ready made' to start as the other, but still yet apparently is being reported with more up side down the road. My pick? Andrew Farrell I think if we take a young centreback Ryan Nelsen will be able to work WONDERS with a kid, teach him everything he knows, take him under his wing, he'll really develope once Ryan Nelsen is on the touch line.

Third pick? Assuming we don't trade it for a current MLS player who's an established star, I would say take a forward Eriq Zavaleta seems like a poacher, has the same 'body type' as Koevermans, looks really well composed on his goals he really just they're soft goals but he doesn't try to get fancy or second guess himself, he just puts it away. I think he could learn a lot from Koev.

Somebody wanna tell me a bit about Johnson? I hear he's promising?

I think we should take a centreback and a forward either way.

Edit: Johnson looks to be more of a playmaker, doesn't get right up in the battle in the box. Likes to be involved in the build up.

So. I'm gonna say unless we can trade the 3rd pick for 2+ established MLS midfielders. We take Farrell + Zavaleta. Thats my prediction.

Canary10
01-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Reports say Farrell can play in the central defence or central midfield. We need central mids and if he can play both I think he makes the most sense for the first pick.

I've been reading that TFC have been trying to get Alex Lopez into the draft. Can someone explain why that is a good idea rather than simply signing him?

PopePouri
01-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Reports say Farrell can play in the central defence or central midfield. We need central mids and if he can play both I think he makes the most sense for the first pick.

I've been reading that TFC have been trying to get Alex Lopez into the draft. Can someone explain why that is a good idea rather than simply signing him?

I've read he can also play right back.

jloome
01-11-2013, 10:19 AM

Farrell's reports praise his athleticism but not his technique. That doesn't sound like a midfielder to me.

Canary10
01-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Farrell's reports praise his athleticism but not his technique. That doesn't sound like a midfielder to me.

That's true. Good point.

jloome
01-11-2013, 10:23 AM
If we take Kyle Bekker so high up like many (AMERICAN) mls reporters are saying i'll be disappointed. Mainly because there only reasoning is him being Canadian. Well, we have our own pool of local product hardly worth wasting a pick to bring the boy home.

No matter what I see us taking Andrew Farrell or Walker Zimmermann with the first pick. I don't watch enough college soccer to know, but apparently the only difference is one isn't as 'ready made' to start as the other, but still yet apparently is being reported with more up side down the road. My pick? Andrew Farrell I think if we take a young centreback Ryan Nelsen will be able to work WONDERS with a kid, teach him everything he knows, take him under his wing, he'll really develope once Ryan Nelsen is on the touch line.

Third pick? Assuming we don't trade it for a current MLS player who's an established star, I would say take a forward Eriq Zavaleta seems like a poacher, has the same 'body type' as Koevermans, looks really well composed on his goals he really just they're soft goals but he doesn't try to get fancy or second guess himself, he just puts it away. I think he could learn a lot from Koev.

Somebody wanna tell me a bit about Johnson? I hear he's promising?

I think we should take a centreback and a forward either way.

Edit: Johnson looks to be more of a playmaker, doesn't get right up in the battle in the box. Likes to be involved in the build up.

So. I'm gonna say unless we can trade the 3rd pick for 2+ established MLS midfielders. We take Farrell + Zavaleta. Thats my prediction.

Johnson's a natural goal scorer who can also play wide on either side, is strong and can dribble. He's a much more complete package than Zavaleta, although Zavaleta apparently reads the game really, really well.

Zimmerman is the not-ready-for-prime-time can't miss prospect; but we're already two deep with guys who are youth internationals.

I wouldn't be surprised if we traded the first pick down for players and a lower pick, then took Johnson and another forward or mid. It's a forward heavy draft.

They might take Bekker with the second pick because he has a strong left foot, which is hard to find period in this league.

Initial B
01-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Ideally, it looks like TFC should trade the first pick (and player?) for a starting midfielder (holding or box-to-box) on a team that has enough depth to release one. Alternately, do we use the two draft picks to go with 2 midfielders/forwards?

Canary10
01-11-2013, 12:14 PM
^ I think that's what will happen.

Initial B
01-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Hmmm, just idly thinking about trading the #1 draft pick and Jeremy Hall (or Terry Dunfield) for a starter from another team and their draft pick. How likely are the following trades?

New England: #4 Pick + Lee Nguyen/Kyle Rowe
Colorado: #6 Pick + Jaime Castrillon/Tony Cascio
San Jose: #15 Pick + Sam Cronin/Rafael Baca
LA Galaxy: #19 Pick + Mike Magee/Rafael Garcia

West220Side
01-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Hmmm, just idly thinking about trading the #1 draft pick and Jeremy Hall (or Terry Dunfield) for a starter from another team and their draft pick. How likely are the following trades?

New England: #4 Pick + Lee Nguyen/Kyle Rowe
Colorado: #6 Pick + Jaime Castrillon/Tony Cascio
San Jose: #15 Pick + Sam Cronin/Rafael Baca
LA Galaxy: #19 Pick + Mike Magee/Rafael Garcia

Wouldn't trade down to #15 + #19 because well, they're really just worthless.
Hypothetically trade with New England (not that I really think itwould happen.)

Kevin Payne trades with New England the #1 pick for New Englands 4th pick plus 2 players in the midfield.
New England draft Andrew Farrell first overall.
Chivas USA draft Mikey Lopez
Toronto FC draft Walker Zimmermann
Toronto FC draft Eriq Zavaleta

We leave the draft with a few MLS midfielders + two Generation Addidas players who can learn and grow greatly under experienced guys like Koevermans, and Nelsen, etc.

Not that it would happen. Sorry but I really believe we need to walk away with two Generation Adidas players so we don't have to take the cap hit.
I also think they need to be drafted in the Defense and Forward positions. Zavaleta is a real poacher and body similiar to Koev. Could learn a lot. A raw centreback with potential could really learn from an experienced guy like Nelsen.

Yohan
01-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Wouldn't trade down to #15 + #19 because well, they're really just worthless.
Hypothetically trade with New England (not that I really think itwould happen.)

Kevin Payne trades with New England the #1 pick for New Englands 4th pick plus 2 players in the midfield.
New England draft Andrew Farrell first overall.
Chivas USA draft Mikey Lopez
Toronto FC draft Walker Zimmermann
Toronto FC draft Eriq Zavaleta

We leave the draft with a few MLS midfielders + two Generation Addidas players who can learn and grow greatly under experienced guys like Koevermans, and Nelsen, etc.

Not that it would happen. Sorry but I really believe we need to walk away with two Generation Adidas players so we don't have to take the cap hit.
I also think they need to be drafted in the Defense and Forward positions. Zavaleta is a real poacher and body similiar to Koev. Could learn a lot. A raw centreback with potential could really learn from an experienced guy like Nelsen.

2 players plus 4th pick for 1st pick? unless they are depth players, you are dreaming...

Yohan
01-11-2013, 04:43 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2013/news/article/2013/01/11/mls-announces-2013-superdraft-be-streamed-globally

Superdraft to be available on stream (and also on ESPN 3)

Yohan
01-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Carlos Alvarez had a good first day of the combine
http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2013/news/article/2013/01/11/mls-combine-uconn-star-alavarez-shines-opener

West220Side
01-11-2013, 05:35 PM
2 players plus 4th pick for 1st pick? unless they are depth players, you are dreaming...

I didn't suggest it, and I didn't say I thought it would happen... actually I said I didn't think it would happen. I was just expanding upon what somebody else said.

veenstram
01-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Would be interesting to see TFC trade down to take one of J.J Johnson/Eriq Zavaleta/Kekuta Manneh/DeShorn Brown and shore up an aged group of attackers (Koef is 34 and may not return well from his injury, Hassli is 31) and only half-decent substitutes in Braun and Amarikwa.
Colorado (6th pick) or Columbus (9th) could use the defensive depth of signing Farrell or Zimmerman. We trade pick #1 for a starting caliber player from either (Perhaps Cascio from Colorado, or the return of Tony Tchani from Columbus) and select one of the attackers mentioned before.

Dub Narcotic
01-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Forget trading the picks for mediocrity! If you take GA players, they are free under the cap, which is a massive advantage. Take Farrell at 1 and play him as a hyper-athletic destroyer alongside Frings or let him compete to start at CB. Take Alvarez (although not GA) at three and play him as the attacking midfielder behind Silva and Hassli. If Lopez falls instead of Alvarez, grab him instead. He is GA, younger than Alvarez and would also be great alongside Frings or even on the sides as a midfield diamond. Use the cap money saved to buy a striker or another winger. This is a golden chance for TFC to build a core with some high quality young talent.

ArmenJBX
01-11-2013, 09:59 PM
I said this once and I'll say it again a million times:

Eriq Zavaleta!

We need to draft this kid.

notthesun
01-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Really looks like Farrell is going to go #1 to me. Whether we have that pick or not.

jloome
01-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Really looks like Farrell is going to go #1 to me. Whether we have that pick or not.

We might take him and play him in midfield right away, ala Maurice Edu. He certainly is looking to be that type of player. Before the combine the question was how much technical ability he had to go along with the athleticism and after the 40-yard, defence splitting pass for a goal yesterday, they know he has vision to create. They already know he can tackle and mark, and has a great vertical.

Tough call. He's a really good player, and the conventional wisdom in MLS has been to take whomever you think is the best player on the board.

It's a deep first two rounds, though. Lots of potential contributors. I kinda like Kekuta Manneh; he's only 18 but you can find a lot of video of him online from his rep team days. Nearly all of his goals are running off the defender's back shoulder onto through-balls. He has great first-step acceleration, so it's basically impossible for defenders to recover if he times it right. But it's tough to judge at his age how much of that success is his pace and how much is bad reads by defenders, as none of the goals are from in space. They're all from beating the back line from close in, which you get far less opportunity to do at the pro level.

The goal yesterday was cool, though, as he improvised and cut diagonally across the two centre backs, throwing them off step. It was clever and a promising sign.

Yohan
01-12-2013, 01:55 PM
We might take him and play him in midfield right away, ala Maurice Edu. He certainly is looking to be that type of player. Before the combine the question was how much technical ability he had to go along with the athleticism and after the 40-yard, defence splitting pass for a goal yesterday, they know he has vision to create. They already know he can tackle and mark, and has a great vertical.

Tough call. He's a really good player, and the conventional wisdom in MLS has been to take whomever you think is the best player on the board.
Farrell apparently played DM prior to college. Certainly like the utility depth option Farrell would give, plus gives him more chance for mins filling in at various spots. Looks to have more technical skill than Aaron Maund to play at DM

Highlights from yesterday
http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2013/01/11/highlights-adizero-vs-adipure

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2013/01/11/highlights-adipower-vs-prime

KGH
01-12-2013, 02:21 PM
2 players plus 4th pick for 1st pick? unless they are depth players, you are dreaming...I'm with you. 1 player plus the pick and maybe some allocation. Nguyen would be a great pickup.

mcolvy
01-12-2013, 03:07 PM

It's a deep first two rounds, though. Lots of potential contributors. I kinda like Kekuta Manneh; he's only 18 but you can find a lot of video of him online from his rep team days. Nearly all of his goals are running off the defender's back shoulder onto through-balls. He has great first-step acceleration, so it's basically impossible for defenders to recover if he times it right. But it's tough to judge at his age how much of that success is his pace and how much is bad reads by defenders, as none of the goals are from in space. They're all from beating the back line from close in, which you get far less opportunity to do at the pro level.

The goal yesterday was cool, though, as he improvised and cut diagonally across the two centre backs, throwing them off step. It was clever and a promising sign.

i like what you are saying. agree across the board. manneh needs to go 3rd overall.

Yohan
01-12-2013, 03:25 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/01/12/updated-mlssoccercom-mock-draft-after-combine-day-1

Liking the humility part about Farrell

notthesun
01-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Farrell apparently played DM prior to college. Certainly like the utility depth option Farrell would give, plus gives him more chance for mins filling in at various spots. Looks to have more technical skill than Aaron Maund to play at DM

Highlights from yesterday
http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2013/01/11/highlights-adizero-vs-adipure

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2013/01/11/highlights-adipower-vs-prime

If he shows decent promise at CDM he could slot in when Frings leaves, and we wouldn't have to rely on Dunfield anymore either.

Yohan
01-12-2013, 06:55 PM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/01/2013-mls-combine-off-day-observations.html

9. You know who the best right back in the draft actually is? Andrew Farrell. He spent time there at Louisville and I could definitely see a team like Toronto FC starting him at right back (if they wind up keeping the no. 1 overall pick).
Farrell is a freak athlete. He’s fast, extremely strong and can dominate on the air despite being just 5-foot-11. What really impresses scouts is that he is good on the ball. What impressed me the most on day one was just how humble and grounded he is. It says plenty that a player who is the consensus No. 1 pick is willing to take part in the Combine (though a good showing should only serve to help generate better trade offers to Toronto for the No. 1 pick.

West220Side
01-12-2013, 08:40 PM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/01/2013-mls-combine-off-day-observations.html

Taking Andrew Farrell first overall and paying Eckersley so much money just seems... pointless. Pick one.

West220Side
01-12-2013, 08:41 PM
I said this once and I'll say it again a million times:

Eriq Zavaleta!

We need to draft this kid.

Thank you, I'm just saying this kid is a big strong guy who can hold up the ball, and become a great finisher like Koevermans.

West220Side
01-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Forget trading the picks for mediocrity! If you take GA players, they are free under the cap, which is a massive advantage. Take Farrell at 1 and play him as a hyper-athletic destroyer alongside Frings or let him compete to start at CB. Take Alvarez (although not GA) at three and play him as the attacking midfielder behind Silva and Hassli. If Lopez falls instead of Alvarez, grab him instead. He is GA, younger than Alvarez and would also be great alongside Frings or even on the sides as a midfield diamond. Use the cap money saved to buy a striker or another winger. This is a golden chance for TFC to build a core with some high quality young talent.

I don't see Silva playing as a forward anymore. Paynes got rid of Mariner, and the only reason Silva played as striker is because Mariner didn't 'believe' in the AM position. We may play a diamond. You never know.

Nuvinho
01-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Thinking TFC may trade the #1 pick and some allocation to Colorado for Jeff L (can't spell his name) z and the #6 overall pick. Wasn't there reports that TFC was looking at Jeff L.

ag futbol
01-13-2013, 11:09 PM
After today's combine I'm not going to be surprised if Kyle Bekker is off the board by the tenth pick. 3 seems a little high, but anywhere from 5-10 seems likely IMO especially with Canadian teams owning 3 picks in that range. The only question seems to be about his defense, but a lot of people are starting to throw out the "MLS ready" label and he seems to fit the mold of a guy who's going to come in and contribute in the league.

Otherwise, as far as TFC are concerned I think it's whether you want to take Farrell at number one and trade the third pick or trade the first pick and use the third on Zimmerman or Zavaletta. Either way it should be someone who plays central defender, because that's where the talent is IMO. I really doubt a lot of these guys like Lopez or Alvarez will pan out.

mcolvy
01-14-2013, 12:59 AM
After today's combine I'm not going to be surprised if Kyle Bekker is off the board by the tenth pick. 3 seems a little high, but anywhere from 5-10 seems likely IMO especially with Canadian teams owning 3 picks in that range. The only question seems to be about his defense, but a lot of people are starting to throw out the "MLS ready" label and he seems to fit the mold of a guy who's going to come in and contribute in the league.

Otherwise, as far as TFC are concerned I think it's whether you want to take Farrell at number one and trade the third pick or trade the first pick and use the third on Zimmerman or Zavaletta. Either way it should be someone who plays central defender, because that's where the talent is IMO. I really doubt a lot of these guys like Lopez or Alvarez will pan out.

I believe that a trade would be a waste. we can just bring in a player of the same caliber without giving up and asset, from outside mls. unless its some uniquely talented player that would fill a large need then i support taking two players who wont count against the cap. farrel, manneh and johnson. those are the three guys im looking at. farrell first overall and then you take manneh or johnson at 3.

johnson fills a need right away as a worth winger, but manneh is young and could be more comfortable being thrown into the pros out wide and given a simpler task then having to do to much up front. either way why the hell dont we have wingers....

tfcmanu
01-14-2013, 09:04 AM
1. Andrew Farelle
Scouting Report: Described as most athletic front-line player in draft. Excellent instincts. Can play centre back and right back. No surprise if he goes first overall...You never have enough center backs I heard he can even play holding mid.

2. Jason Johnson
Scouting Report: Can run. Can score. Can get behind defenders at any time. With right team would be a consistent threat....Could replace Koevermans and Hassli

Sleeper Pick: Kyle Bekker (Canadian)
Scouting Report: Very sound technically. Very poised. Centre-mid with some touch but not uniquely athletic....We need mid field help.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/01/10-players-tfc-will-be-considering

Ultra & Proud
01-14-2013, 09:18 AM
1. Andrew Farelle
Scouting Report: Described as most athletic front-line player in draft. Excellent instincts. Can play centre back and right back. No surprise if he goes first overall...You never have enough center backs I heard he can even play holding mid.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/01/10-players-tfc-will-be-considering

The more I followed the combine, the more I think we have to take him. Looks great out there and seems versatile as he could play CB, DM, and apparently has played RB in the past. After that there are a lot of options. Think I sick day is in order on the 17th to watch this draft.

Yohan
01-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Game 2 highlights

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2013/01/13/highlights-prime-vs-adipure

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2013/01/13/highlights-adipower-vs-adizero

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/01/mls-combine-day-two-a-look-back.html (http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2013/01/13/highlights-adipower-vs-adizero)

ag futbol
01-14-2013, 10:31 AM
I believe that a trade would be a waste. we can just bring in a player of the same caliber without giving up and asset, from outside mls. unless its some uniquely talented player that would fill a large need then i support taking two players who wont count against the cap. farrel, manneh and johnson. those are the three guys im looking at. farrell first overall and then you take manneh or johnson at 3.

johnson fills a need right away as a worth winger, but manneh is young and could be more comfortable being thrown into the pros out wide and given a simpler task then having to do to much up front. either way why the hell dont we have wingers....
Manneh would be interesting. Jason Johnson has been awful all week, especially out wide. Would be incredibly disappointed if he made our draft board considering we already have three target men on the roster and that's the only place he'll fit. Also heavily one footed apparently.

Remember you only get so many discovery signings in a year so it's not like your ability to reach outside the league for talent is unlimited. Pretty sure Farrell is a Sr and not GA. Payne also stated he's not a big fan of those contracts because the salary relief if only temporary and it creates planning issues down the road.

Not too many of these guys will work out at the pro level, especially at the skilled spots. The college game is generally good in a few areas but overall it still struggles to create professionals.

Yohan
01-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Not too many of these guys will work out at the pro level, especially at the skilled spots. The college game is generally good in a few areas but overall it still struggles to create professionals.

IMO college players succeed despite their experience in NCAA :p

Red I
01-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Manneh would be interesting. Jason Johnson has been awful all week, especially out wide. Would be incredibly disappointed if he made our draft board considering we already have three target men on the roster and that's the only place he'll fit. Also heavily one footed apparently.

... Pretty sure Farrell is a Sr and not GA. Payne also stated he's not a big fan of those contracts because the salary relief if only temporary and it creates planning issues down the road.

I agree, JJ does is not looking like a good wing player at the combine, and that's where we would need him - Zavaleta is a better target forward - kinda liking his versatility too

Farrell is GA, not a senior - Powers is looking like the best senior available right now if Payne doesn't go the GA route, but some good GA guys out there - i think by holding back at giving GA contracts to everyone might buck that trend, as does holding such high picks

gdg_9
01-14-2013, 12:46 PM
1. Andrew Farelle

Ives just tweeted that TFC are looking for a RB (don't like Ecks on that $390k salary).
Does this mean there's a better chance TFC holds onto #1 and drafts Farrell?

TFC07
01-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Nice to see Canadian players doing well in this combine. Hopefully TFC draft Farrell and trade their 3rd pick for mid first round pick plus a player so they can pick Bekker.

Greatest Ripoff
01-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Is the draft going to be on TSN?

gdg_9
01-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Here's a thought...

TFC keeps picks #1 & #3. Draft, let's just say, Farrell & Zavaleta.

When Columbus comes up at #9, or even Dallas at #7, Bekker is still on the board.

Does TFC try to acquire a third 1st round pick to grab Bekker before MTL (#8) or Vancouver (#10) take him?

What would it take to get the #9 from Columbus (or #7 from Dallas)?
Would some package of Emory, Hall, Weideman, Braun, etc be able to get it done?

Coming away from the draft with Farrell, Zav, and Bekker would be a huge boost.

AdamAM
01-14-2013, 01:26 PM
Here's a thought...

TFC keeps picks #1 & #3. Draft, let's just say, Farrell & Zavaleta.

When Columbus comes up at #9, or even Dallas at #7, Bekker is still on the board.

Does TFC try to acquire a third 1st round pick to grab Bekker before MTL (#8) or Vancouver (#10) take him?

What would it take to get the #9 from Columbus (or #7 from Dallas)?
Would some package of Emory, Hall, Weideman, Braun, etc be able to get it done?

Coming away from the draft with Farrell, Zav, and Bekker would be a huge boost.

Who in their right mind would take Emory, Hall, Wiedeman, Braun etc for a 7th overall pick? The only decent guy I see there is Braun, and it would take a LOT of allocation money for a Braun+Alloc for a 7th overall. Could be done though, with the money we have from losing so much...

gdg_9
01-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Agreed that #7 might be a stretch.
But if MTL passes on him, #9 from CLB might be do-able.

From what I understand, CLB is very thin up front, and could also use more depth on their backline (even after signing Wahl).

Braun + Hall/Emory (Maybe throw in a bit of Allocation $ to help pay Braun's salary)?

Also to consider, while Bekker's stock seems to be rising with a strong Combine, many mock drafts and rankings have him somewhere in the mid-to-late first round. (Ives latest mock-up has him still being there at #18 for MTL).

IF he somehow gets by MTL at #8 and Van at #10, chances are he keeps falling a bit further due to his Int'l status.
Trading for him at that point would become much easier.

Although after being a standout at the combine, this scenario is becoming much less likely.

Yohan
01-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Agreed that #7 might be a stretch.
But if MTL passes on him, #9 from CLB might be do-able.

From what I understand, CLB is very thin up front, and could also use more depth on their backline (even after signing Wahl).

Braun + Hall/Emory (Maybe throw in a bit of Allocation $ to help pay Braun's salary)?

Also to consider, while Bekker's stock seems to be rising with a strong Combine, many mock drafts and rankings have him somewhere in the mid-to-late first round. (Ives latest mock-up has him still being there at #18 for MTL).

IF he somehow gets by MTL at #8 and Van at #10, chances are he keeps falling a bit further due to his Int'l status.
Trading for him at that point would become much easier.

Although after being a standout at the combine, this scenario is becoming much less likely.
MLS teams will sign/draft int players if they see good stuff. Some teams actually have a lot of int spots available. Plus Bekker's years at Boston College means he shouldn't be that hard to get a green card

mowe
01-14-2013, 02:18 PM
There is no way Bekker slides past Montreal at 8. He already signed an MLS contract which means a team has promised to take him. Obviously that team is either Vancouver (more likely) or Montreal. The Caps will probably go for a GA with their 5th pick which means Montreal has their chance to get him at 8 before Vancouver picks again at 10. Only way TFC gets him is if they trade one of their picks and move down a couple spots, but I don't see that happening.

Montreal also has the 18th, 27th, and 32nd picks to grab Emery Welshman who's been impressive in the combine. Basically same situation as Evan James last year.

Ajax TFC
01-14-2013, 03:38 PM
What if TFC draft Farrell with the first pick, then trades the #3 spot to the CRapids or Dallas for some form of assets (players, bundle of allo, etc.), and their pick which we use to draft Bekker.

ag futbol
01-14-2013, 03:43 PM
What if TFC draft Farrell with the first pick, then trades the #3 spot to the CRapids or Dallas for some form of assets (players, bundle of allo, etc.), and their pick which we use to draft Bekker.
I'd throw New England into that pile as well as they might want first crack at the CB of their choice (asides from Farrell, assuming Chivas continue their genome project and draft Lopez). Nguyen or Alston could be good pickups that they would realistically part with for the right price.

Ajax TFC
01-14-2013, 04:46 PM
I'd throw New England into that pile as well as they might want first crack at the CB of their choice (asides from Farrell, assuming Chivas continue their genome project and draft Lopez). Nguyen or Alston could be good pickups that they would realistically part with for the right price.
I didn't include NE because I doubt they'll give up much just to move up one spot, and at 4th the choices are still quite good.

Nuvinho
01-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Chivas is taking Alvarez as per their head coach.

mowe
01-14-2013, 09:28 PM

1st pick to Colorado for 6th pick, Jeff Larentowicz, and allocation.

Rapids take Zimmerman, TFC take Farell 3rd and Lopez/Powers/Bekker 6th.

Seriously shores up our midfield. Only problem is we just signed Julio Cesar which probably rules out Larentowicz - who I'd love to have on this team.

TFCwestcan
01-14-2013, 10:57 PM
I am wondering if there is any attaching/wing options worth trading for? It is kind of a shame that there is not a golden forward at the top, unlike last year. Perhaps it's Farrell & Zavaleta.

Oldtimer
01-15-2013, 08:35 AM
Chivas' coach (#2 pick) just made things a whole lot easier for TFC:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2013/01/14/chivas-head-coach-reveals-superdraft-pick

Chivas Head Coach reveals SuperDraft Pick

Jose Luis "Chelis" Sanchez Sola is determined to continue Chivas USA's recruitment policy and draft a Mexican/American.

I think TFC can now solidify their #1 and #3 pick. The only question now is whether they trade the pick.

Rudi Schuller's tweet on this video

This dude must be awesome at poker. :lol:

So since Chivas are going to pick Lopez, what will TFC do now?

My guess: I think they are going to trade down their #3 pick.

flamehawk
01-15-2013, 09:08 AM
Chivas' coach (#2 pick) just made things a whole lot easier for TFC:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2013/01/14/chivas-head-coach-reveals-superdraft-pick

I think TFC can now solidify their #1 and #3 pick. The only question now is whether they trade the pick.

Rudi Schuller's tweet on this video

:lol:

So since Chivas are going to pick Lopez, what will TFC do now?

My guess: I think they are going to trade down their #3 pick.

He's picking Alvarez actually -> http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2013/01/15/3673948/2013-mls-player-combine-el-chelis-reveals-his-preference-for

But yes, pretty dumb move.

Initial B
01-15-2013, 10:51 AM
Honestly, I can't see Payne choosing anyone but Farrel and Zavaleta. Both are Generation Adidas. Farrel will probably play Holding Mid alongside either Frings or Cesar in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-1-3. Silva will be our Attacking Mid. Up front. Zavaleta will probably be mentored alongside Koevermans and take his place when his contract expires at the end of the season.

Yohan
01-15-2013, 10:55 AM
If Bekker has low enough salary, (and Silva was basically on league min as a senior) he likely wouldn't count towards cap.

And he just scored again...

Greatest Ripoff
01-15-2013, 11:00 AM
Honestly, I can't see Payne choosing anyone but Farrel and Zavaleta. Both are Generation Adidas.

Payne has said he doesn't like Generation Adidas contracts.

Greatest Ripoff
01-15-2013, 11:01 AM
If Bekker has low enough salary, (and Silva was basically on league min as a senior) he likely wouldn't count towards cap.

And he just scored again...

I am completely bias as a Canadian but I'd really like to see Bekker at TFC.

Captain
01-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Yohan - How are you watching the Combine?

Yohan
01-15-2013, 11:09 AM
Yohan - How are you watching the Combine?

reading updates from Ives

Captain
01-15-2013, 11:10 AM
I was really hoping there was a feed somewhere that I had missed.

Ajax TFC
01-15-2013, 11:20 AM
I am completely bias as a Canadian but I'd really like to see Bekker at TFC.
Nothing wrong with having a Canadian bias here. We should all want this highly talented local kid on our team.
Highly talented? - Check
MLS ready? - So they say (they being non Canadian media)
low salary? - very likely
AM? yes
Toronto kid? Aww Yeah

I see absolutely no reason to not at least make a good effort to bring him here.

Red I
01-15-2013, 11:23 AM
He's picking Alvarez actually -> http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2013/01/15/3673948/2013-mls-player-combine-el-chelis-reveals-his-preference-for

But yes, pretty dumb move.

Honestly, i wonder if Toronto can ransom Alvarez - work out a deal to not pick Alvarez if Chivas ponies something up in a one-sided trade of some kind , or alocation, etc. - honestly, to show your hand like that, you'd be an idiot not to jump on that

Yohan
01-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Honestly, i wonder if Toronto can ransom Alvarez - work out a deal to not pick Alvarez if Chivas ponies something up in a one-sided trade of some kind , or alocation, etc. - honestly, to show your hand like that, you'd be an idiot not to jump on that
And CUSA could pick Mikey Lopez, leaving Alvarez with TFC. which wouldn't be totally be a bummer, but trying to hold other teams hostage isn't going to make you a lot of friends

ag futbol
01-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Not even worth it. They'll just turn around and pick Lopez and we'll be stuck with a player who isn't worthy of high pick or willing to play here. Chivas are going to be absolutely awful, I know that sounds ironic coming from us, but they clearly haven't learned anything since joining the league. The other thing to consider is that maybe he isn't as stupid as we all assume and he IS playing poker and plans to pick Lopez.

With the week Bekker is having at the combine it's hard to argue that he couldn't play a solid support role for a MLS team. He either plays next to the other defensive mid in the 4-2-3-1 or plays a little more advanced in some other non 4-4-2 formation. Don't think he'll light it up, but it will be a solid support piece. I'm going to guess that he's solidly within the top 10 at this point.

Canary10
01-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Rumour on twitter is that TFC will trade one of the draft picks today.....Anyone heard anything?

Pint
01-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Posted this in the other thread:

Duane Rollins ‏@24thminute (https://twitter.com/24thminute) A lot of noise that #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) is going to make a move today.

Next tweet:

Wild rumor: Col trades allocation #6 and #25 picks to TFC for #1. Then TFC flips #6 and # 25 for #5 and selectes Zimmerman and Bekker. As Said, wild rumor.

notthesun
01-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Not sure I'm comfortable with trading the #1 pick...

reggie
01-15-2013, 03:17 PM
I guess it depends on how much allo money is coming our way,

Canary10
01-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Not sure I'm comfortable with trading the #1 pick...

I'm totally fine with it. The reality is the draft won't fill any need we have this year. And we have a lot of needs this year.

ag futbol
01-15-2013, 03:41 PM
I'm comfortable with trading it, but that rumor looks odd to say the least.

Plus is is technically impossible for Bekker to go in the second round. He already has a contract with MLS, as some commentator pointed out that obligates a team in the first round with a pick to select him if he is available when they step up to the plate.

Ajax TFC
01-15-2013, 03:49 PM
I'm comfortable with trading it, but that rumor looks odd to say the least.

Plus is is technically impossible for Bekker to go in the second round. He already has a contract with MLS, as some commentator pointed out that obligates a team in the first round with a pick to select him if he is available when they step up to the plate.
It's entirely possible that that team is TFC.

I'd much rather TFC trade the #3 pick and get Farrell with the #1 pick. Unless of course the CRapids intend on taking Zimmerman or Zavaleta with the first pick. We need someone who can solidify that DM spot when Frings and Julio Cesar are gone at the end of the season.

ag futbol
01-15-2013, 03:57 PM
^ personally, I'm comfortable with either of Zimmerman or Farrell, and also Zavaleta, providing we use him as a CB and not a forward.

That's an interesting theory and I think Kyle Bekker will be useful to a MLS team. But I don't know if he's worth chasing after.

Initial B
01-15-2013, 04:13 PM
I don't think the backline is an issue this year - I think they're more concerned about Midfield. If the rumor that Hassli wants out is true, then I bet they take Zavaleta with the #3 pick and another mid with the #5/6 pick.

Yohan
01-15-2013, 04:20 PM
I'd love to see Kekuta Manneh for TFC. That kid has high ceiling. Scoring goals out of wazoo. Scouted by Chelsea but couldn't make the move due to work permit issues. Is only 18, so he can be developed by the club. Generation Adidas so don't count towards the cap. Fast, good dribbler and confident.
Plus this being rebuilding year, TFC can afford to gradually working Manneh into lineup and not expect him to produce right away.

Oldtimer
01-15-2013, 04:26 PM
I'd say bundle in Hassli with a pick for someone really good.

Yohan
01-15-2013, 04:36 PM
I'd say bundle in Hassli with a pick for someone really good.Hassli is almost unmoveable, unless TFC is willing to eat most of his salary

TFC07
01-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Bekker is an attacking midfield which TFC needs. So he's a good fit and gives us depth in that attacking mid role (pretty much replacing Aliva). I am not sure getting another DM or CB is a good idea (we have plenty of those now). We need attacking oriented players in the midfield (CM and Wings), LB and quality striker (especially if Hassli is leaving).

Yohan
01-15-2013, 10:17 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2013/01/15/highlights-adizero-vs-prime

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2013/01/15/highlights-adipower-vs-adipure

Highlights from day 3 of matches

Alonso
01-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Hassli is almost unmoveable, unless TFC is willing to eat most of his salary

Seems like TFC are eating major portions of salaries of players that want out or that are unwanted every year.

When will it end?

I can't believe the team put itself into this situation yet again.

I hope beyond hope that Payne get's at least 4 years at the helm to see what one consistent vision and direction for a team can do to change our fortunes.

Detroit_TFC
01-16-2013, 10:08 AM
I agree, that is just bad business. If it is that big a situation, buy him out.

T-boy
01-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Hassli is almost unmoveable, unless TFC is willing to eat most of his salary

What if we exchange Hassli for another team's DP? Would that be possible? If so, is there a DP that another team is willing to exchange, and who would want Hassli?

Yohan
01-16-2013, 12:11 PM
What if we exchange Hassli for another team's DP? Would that be possible? If so, is there a DP that another team is willing to exchange, and who would want Hassli?

Kris Boyd is available from Portland. I think Salihi from DC is also available

Initial B
01-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Kris Boyd may be the best bet, since we've already negotiated a trade with Portland and a change of scenery might do him some good as much as Hassli.

gdg_9
01-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Kris Boyd is available from Portland. I think Salihi from DC is also available

A DC fan in the comments on SBI suggested Salihi for Hassli as well.

Both are younger then Hassli, and hopefully would be less injury prone.

Does anyone know how long their contracts run for?
If they end at the end of this season, I wouldn't really be opposed.
(Would rather dump Hassli without taking DP salary back, but that will be hard to do)

Yohan
01-16-2013, 12:29 PM
A DC fan in the comments on SBI suggested Salihi for Hassli as well.

Both are younger then Hassli, and hopefully would be less injury prone.

Does anyone know how long their contracts run for?
If they end at the end of this season, I wouldn't really be opposed.
(Would rather dump Hassli without taking DP salary back, but that will be hard to do)

Salihi actually makes less than DP money, (300k base) but DC paid a wack of transfer fee for him last year. I'm going to guess standard 2 year guaranteed plus 2 years club option

Walms
01-16-2013, 12:40 PM
If we didn't renew Eric's contract last month would he be going into his Option years and no longer have a DP status? I know the point is kind of redundant but im just curious

Yohan
01-16-2013, 12:43 PM
If we didn't renew Eric's contract last month would he be going into his Option years and no longer have a DP status? I know the point is kind of redundant but im just curious
option year means his salary is picked up at his current salary, unless otherwise written into the contract.

Hassli's option year was picked up, not getting a new contract IIRC

Walms
01-16-2013, 12:45 PM
option year means his salary is picked up at his current salary, unless otherwise written into the contract.

Hassli's option year was picked up, not getting a new contract IIRC

thanks for the clarification

gdg_9
01-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Salihi actually makes less than DP money, (300k base) but DC paid a wack of transfer fee for him last year. I'm going to guess standard 2 year guaranteed plus 2 years club option

So that would mean this is his last guaranteed season... I'd be ok with this move if Hassli truly wants out and an overseas buyer can't be found.

gdg_9
01-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Ives is reporting his sources "confirmed" TFC trading #1 Overall to Colorado for #6, #25, and $100k allocation.

Then flipping #6 & #25 to Vancouver for #5 to take Bekker.

COL apparently wants Zimmerman. Everyone now knows Chivas wants Alvarez at #2.

That leaves TFC taking Farrel at #3, and Bekker at #5, plus $100k of allocation.

Basically it all works out to #1 for Bekker + $100k

Thoughts?

Dub Narcotic
01-16-2013, 12:58 PM
This works out well for Toronto, unless NER takes Bekker and TFC really wants him. The backup plan at 5 would be Lopez, I guess.

Yohan
01-16-2013, 01:00 PM
This works out well for Toronto, unless NER takes Bekker and TFC really wants him. The backup plan at 5 would be Lopez, I guess.

or a striker.

gdg_9
01-16-2013, 01:01 PM
The part I don't get is the second trade.

If Van is willing to move down from #5 to #6, knowing TFC wants Bekker, for only #25 (which doesn't really hold much value), that probably means they have their mind set on someone else anyway.

Why bother with this trade?

I would almost rather keep #25 and hope that maybe Welshman drops that far.

PopePouri
01-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Lopez and Bekker?

Yohan
01-16-2013, 01:05 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2013/news/article/2013/01/16/final-mock-draft-see-how-mlssoccercom-editors-pick-em

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/49981/2013-mock-draft-first-round.html

Two more mockdrafts

ag futbol
01-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Looks like a good way to handle things. Pretty funny that the prized asset in this whole transaction appears to be 100k in allocation money.

gdg_9
01-16-2013, 01:06 PM
this works out well for toronto, unless ner takes bekker and tfc really wants him. The backup plan at 5 would be lopez, i guess.

or a striker.

zavaleta!

Damien
01-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Did anyone read this? http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/01/tfc-rapids-line-moves-as-looming-trades-are-set-to-shake-up-mls-draft.html

Looks like TFC is about to make some noise!

Edit: Nevermind, you obviously have, lol.