PDA

View Full Version : View from South of the Border

Froshler
10-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Interesting article from NBC Sports ...hey they know where Toronto is lol!
(and no Duane R they are not supporting Mariner)

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/24/toronto-fc-deciders-as-always-hopelessly-fascinated-with-all-things-european/

Can't say I disagree....

TFC07
10-24-2012, 01:52 PM
It's not an European issue; it's just TFC hasn't hired a well experience manager to run this club. Plus lack of leadership and direction from top (President) makes job harder for managers to be successful in Toronto. Of course, politics in TFC FO is hurting the club as well.

[Euro snob]But I will say one thing: soccer fans in the city aren't going to take a North American soccer coach seriously than they will with an European manager. A lot of soccer fans like TFC to run like an European club than as your average MLS club (example: preferring players from academy over NCAA which I support btw lol)[/Euro snob]

Alonso
10-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Interesting article from NBC Sports ...hey they know where Toronto is lol!
(and no Duane R they are not supporting Mariner)

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/24/toronto-fc-deciders-as-always-hopelessly-fascinated-with-all-things-european/

Can't say I disagree....

Good find.

Interesting article.

I think the real problem is the turnover of these coaches, coupled with poor upper management leadership with eye on immediate results instead of a slow bottom up type of build.

brad
10-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Good find.

Interesting article.

I think the real problem is the turnover of these coaches, coupled with poor upper management leadership with eye on immediate results instead of a slow bottom up type of build.

...coupled with poor choices of manager. Had we hired properly at the start instead of MoJo, we probably could have built the team into something from the beginning before people started getting jumpy about STH sales. Since then, they have a solid track record of hiring people with little to no experience as manager of a first team, and when results go south, they jettison them and replace them with the next inexperienced body.

He makes an interesting point about US vs European styles though. I don't agree so much about the Nationality of the coach being the issue, but TFC have long thumbed their noses at the idea of the MLS & North American style of play, and tried, very unsuccessfully to deliver a "superior" European brand of football. That has bitten us hard IMHO.