PDA

View Full Version : What MLS is doing right (in comparison to Australia's A League)

Yohan
10-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Pretty insightful article on why Tim Cahill chose MLS instead of going back to homeland and A League

http://sportsbusinessinsider.com.au/news/category/sponsorship-and-marketing/analysis-former-mls-team-boss-peter-wilt-gives-the-us-take-on-tim-cahills-new-york-move/

Also, some good lulz in A League bloopers vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DruMnLAQPmM

supersaint
10-22-2012, 08:33 PM
I used to only watch TFC games on tv, now I watch every MLS game that I can. There are some really entertaining games being played and with good levels of skill. Our shitshow is definitely not indicative of the quality in MLS.

Auzzy
10-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Oh wow, that video, I have a stomach cramp from laughing!

Some painful crashing heads as well though, I hate to see that...

Greatest Ripoff
10-22-2012, 10:50 PM
I used to only watch TFC games on tv, now I watch every MLS game that I can. There are some really entertaining games being played and with good levels of skill. Our shitshow is definitely not indicative of the quality in MLS.

Yeah, anyone who only watch TFC matches is really missing out. I am really excited for the MLS playoffs to get started. I can't wait to see more SJ.

kodiakTFC
10-22-2012, 11:34 PM
I probably watch 20 MLS matches a year and the quality difference from 2007 to now is astounding. The league in general is very entertaining. When I've tuned into A League matches I thought it was far more akin to USL/NASL than MLS. Their teams have never really competed very well in the AFC Champions League either. I was shocked when Del Piero signed with Sydney.

sashavukelich
10-23-2012, 12:03 AM
Yeah, anyone who only watch TFC matches is really missing out. I am really excited for the MLS playoffs to get started. I can't wait to see more SJ.

Absolutely! LA and SJ are playing some fantastic soccer lately. RSL....damn, i'd love Beckerman for TFC.

Cashcleaner
10-23-2012, 12:56 AM

I don't go so far as to watch entire games, but I do catch the highlight reels whenever I get a chance. And yeah, compared to 2007, the overall quality in the league is miles better than before. Like you said, TFC isn't a great indicator to go by, but on average, it's pretty entertaining.

I remember getting pissed off because for the longest time people would always make comparisons between MLS and say, the EPL or La Liga. And obviously, the football MLS in their minds was absolute garbage. Now, I'm not going to go so far as to say we're anywhere near close to those levels of skill, but it's hard to deny we're getting better with each new season.

__wowza
10-23-2012, 01:43 AM
compared to some of the other leagues around the world MLS is one of the fastest growing in terms of quality. i try and take in as many MLS as i can, wouldn't have been able to say that 3 or 4 years ago even!

Oldtimer
10-23-2012, 07:24 AM
Oh wow, that video, I have a stomach cramp from laughing!

Some painful crashing heads as well though, I hate to see that...

Really love the player going to the wrong teams box! lulz.

Idea... someone should send this video to Paul Mariner. Looks like the A-League is a place where his type of team could have a winning record. He could take with him the great box-to-box midfielder and the world's greatest clinical finisher for good measure.

Oldtimer
10-23-2012, 07:29 AM
compared to some of the other leagues around the world MLS is one of the fastest growing in terms of quality. i try and take in as many MLS as i can, wouldn't have been able to say that 3 or 4 years ago even!

If you look at video of an MLS game from 2007 and compare it to today... you'll see that the quality of the league has improved immeasurably. If you took our team from 2009 or even Preki's team from 2010 and transport it to 2007, the team goes far. Maybe even Mariner's team would have been competitive. I kid you not, one tends to forget what the football was like in the haze of those early days, it really has improved greatly.

MarkEightThree
10-23-2012, 09:03 AM
It's... it's just so so bad. I'd be tempted to say I've seen better level of play in the CSL.

C.Ronaldo
10-23-2012, 10:42 AM
TFC isnt just getting worse, the league is gettign better

its a double whamy

DoubleUp
10-23-2012, 06:32 PM
TFC isnt just getting worse, the league is gettign better

its a double whamy
:iagree:

This is my biggest problem with our organization and our scouting. We are getting left behind.

Yohan
10-30-2012, 06:11 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2012/10/30/3489863/mls-sets-new-average-attendance-mark-for-second-straight

Here are the top 10 leagues based on average attendance around the world according to MLS figures:

1. German Bundesliga -- 42,387

2. English Premier League -- 35,719

3. Spanish La Liga -- 28,138

4. Italian Serie A -- 23,176

5. Argentine Primera Division -- 22,491

6. Liga MX -- 21,559

7. Major League Soccer -- 18,807

8. French Ligue 1 -- 18.731

9. Chinese Super League -- 18,702

10. Dutch Eredivisie -- 18,405

Richard
10-31-2012, 04:17 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2012/10/30/3489863/mls-sets-new-average-attendance-mark-for-second-straight

Here are the top 10 leagues based on average attendance around the world according to MLS figures:

1. German Bundesliga -- 42,387

2. English Premier League -- 35,719

3. Spanish La Liga -- 28,138

4. Italian Serie A -- 23,176

5. Argentine Primera Division -- 22,491

6. Liga MX -- 21,559

7. Major League Soccer -- 18,807

8. French Ligue 1 -- 18.731

9. Chinese Super League -- 18,702

10. Dutch Eredivisie -- 18,405

Thats not bad, thats actually pretty good.

Now MLS has to figure a way to get viewers to watch them on TV, the ellusive big fat TV contract is whats holding this league back, also the lack of bigger sponsors.

Macksam
11-02-2012, 07:51 PM
If you look at video of an MLS game from 2007 and compare it to today... you'll see that the quality of the league has improved immeasurably. If you took our team from 2009 or even Preki's team from 2010 and transport it to 2007, the team goes far. Maybe even Mariner's team would have been competitive. I kid you not, one tends to forget what the football was like in the haze of those early days, it really has improved greatly.

Some of the best MLS games almost mimic French Ligue 1 quality, which is nothing to play down. I personally think Ligue 1 is better than the Prem on average. Even the lower ranked teams like Lorient have squads fully comprised of players with the technical ability and composure that teams like Reading, Norwhich or Stoke would die for.

Alonso
11-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Did I understand the article right?

More DP's is a better way to increase quality of play for value of the play rather then increase the salary cap?

I disagree if this is what the article was trying to imply (maybe at first)... but the league needs more plumbers in the $250,000 to $400,000 at this point then more DP's.

Also as a side note. I'm to lazy to dig it up... but concerning the young DP rule, is that in addition to 3 DP's, or, within the 3 DP's. Is it 1 young DP per team or up to 3? etc.... (Yohan I'm looking at you)

If it's up to 3 young DP's per team... TFC needs a booster shot injection of that. Start with 2. Then after Koevs is done add a 3rd.

Forget Hasli, forget Frings. Get two young up and coming South American forward studs on the cheap with this rule. ML$E would have to spend there money big time, but it would be better for the cap and allow us to add a solid MLSer at $300,000 for Hasli and Frings.

Great way to extract an extra $300,000 in salary cap space and a potent move from ML$E in these tough times.

Am I out to lunch?

TFC needs to pounce on this rule change.

Yohan
11-02-2012, 11:45 PM
Did I understand the article right?

More DP's is a better way to increase quality of play for value of the play rather then increase the salary cap?

I disagree if this is what the article was trying to imply (maybe at first)... but the league needs more plumbers in the $250,000 to $400,000 at this point then more DP's.

Also as a side note. I'm to lazy to dig it up... but concerning the young DP rule, is that in addition to 3 DP's, or, within the 3 DP's. Is it 1 young DP per team or up to 3? etc.... (Yohan I'm looking at you)

If it's up to 3 young DP's per team... TFC needs a booster shot injection of that. Start with 2. Then after Koevs is done add a 3rd.

Forget Hasli, forget Frings. Get two young up and coming South American forward studs on the cheap with this rule. ML$E would have to spend there money big time, but it would be better for the cap and allow us to add a solid MLSer at $300,000 for Hasli and Frings.

Great way to extract an extra $300,000 in salary cap space and a potent move from ML$E in these tough times.

Am I out to lunch?

TFC needs to pounce on this rule change.
Max 3 DPs of any kind.

Sign a good up and comer from SA or Latin America, if he's under 20, only 150k cap hit. 21-23 is only 200k. If the kid turns out to be something special and ends up being sold to Europe, lots of money. Totally worthwhile investment

Oldtimer
11-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Some of the best MLS games almost mimic French Ligue 1 quality, which is nothing to play down. I personally think Ligue 1 is better than the Prem on average. Even the lower ranked teams like Lorient have squads fully comprised of players with the technical ability and composure that teams like Reading, Norwhich or Stoke would die for.

Interesting that you mention French football, a lot of it is highly comparable to MLS, except maybe for the few top Ligue 1 sides (PSG, OL, Marseille, Toulouse). French football is somewhat more technical, MLS is more athletic, but most MLS sides could be mid-to-lower table Ligue 1 or near the top of Ligue 2 (I exclude TFC, which is in a league of it's own, and not in a good way).

Having watched French football live, I think there is more parity than in the Premiership, which makes it more exciting to watch (and again more comparable to MLS). However, European CL results show that the quality of the top French teams are not better than the top Premiership teams.

Macksam
11-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Interesting that you mention French football, a lot of it is highly comparable to MLS, except maybe for the few top Ligue 1 sides (PSG, OL, Marseille, Toulouse). French football is somewhat more technical, MLS is more athletic, but most MLS sides could be mid-to-lower table Ligue 1 or near the top of Ligue 2 (I exclude TFC, which is in a league of it's own, and not in a good way).

Having watched French football live, I think there is more parity than in the Premiership, which makes it more exciting to watch (and again more comparable to MLS). However, European CL results show that the quality of the top French teams are not better than the top Premiership teams.

There's no doubt about that. The Prem's top clubs are better. PSG might give them a run for their money though.

Yohan
11-04-2012, 07:57 PM
There's no doubt about that. The Prem's top clubs are better. PSG might give them a run for their money though.

if they continue their Man City-esque spending for next few years maybe.

Macksam
11-04-2012, 08:09 PM
if they continue their Man City-esque spending for next few years maybe.
I'd put them a head of Arsenal. Offensively, PSG probably have United beat to.

Yohan
11-04-2012, 08:19 PM
I'd put them a head of Arsenal. Offensively, PSG probably have United beat to.
What team isn't ahead of Arsenal? ;)

Take out Ibra and PSG doesn't look that strong

Macksam
11-05-2012, 01:41 PM
What team isn't ahead of Arsenal? ;)

Take out Ibra and PSG doesn't look that strong

Ibra is a beast in himself, and probably the second best striker in the world next to Falcao. However, PSG has enough depth to overcome a cold Ibra as Gameiro has shown. The team itself also has a stacked midfield with Menez (a winger I know) and Pastore being the creative anchors.

james
11-05-2012, 05:49 PM
not only the skill quality but just looking at the stadiums and crowds. Half the games use to be played in NFL or baseball stadiums and had NFL lines all over the place. Made it really hard to take the league seriously and to watch the game period. Now quite a few teams have nice stadiums and the atmosphere is loud and looks great.