PDA

View Full Version : Terry Dunfield named TFC 2012 MVP

daner90
10-21-2012, 02:07 PM
As per the official TFC twitter, Terry Dunfield has been named Toronto FC's 2012 MVP.

All I have to say is LOL

Richard
10-21-2012, 02:22 PM
MVP for effort.

If you look at it any other way then its shows how bad our team is, or how no players stepped up this year. I would love the guy to stick around and be a mentor or solid role model, otherwise he is a late game sub type player.

MG42
10-21-2012, 02:23 PM
...have the other teams picked their MVP's yet? It would be interesting to do a comparison...oh and congrats Terry

ensco
10-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Motto suggestion for TFC: We may not be good, but we're slow.

Eastend
10-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Wow! How was the voting done for this, or was it just Mariner?

Dom

daner90
10-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Wow! How was the voting done for this, or was it just Mariner?

Dom

Haha Mariner doing the voting was my first thought as well.

Couldn't find any information on this besides being posted on Twitter.

TFC07
10-21-2012, 03:44 PM
LOL Congrats

Gazza
10-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Sad to say, but he WAS our best player. Koevermans didn't play enough.

ag futbol
10-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Sad to say, but he WAS our best player. Koevermans didn't play enough.
I don't know about that. Realistically there are very few candidates but of guys who played the whole season: Kocic, Morgan, and Johnson could be alternatives .

Comparatively to other guys playing the same roles for other teams: Morgan looks the best IMO.

That being said, it was such an awful season every player who played the majority of the games could have been a MVP... Terry seems to meet that standard somehow

Shakes McQueen
10-21-2012, 04:20 PM
Even naming an MVP after such an awful, lost season, seems kind of self-parodying.

"See that car wreck over there? Well, you were the most valuable part of it! Congratulations!"

- Scott

Yeoman
10-21-2012, 04:22 PM
i remember that last fateful year in the EPL with Derby County, they named the fans the MVP
but hell we don't even deserve it this year

DangerRed
10-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Bahahahaha.

Clearly all the votes went to the black cat, but Mariner overruled them.

jloome
10-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Motto suggestion for TFC: We may not be good, but we're slow.

Coffee out my nose.:rolleyes:g:D:drinking:

Auzzy
10-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Terry Dunfield, 2403 minutes played this season, 3 goals, 0 assists. (I would expect your average midfielder to have a few assists in a season, even if he plays more on the defensive end. Plus Terry is supposedly "box to box" at least under Mariner.)

Ryan Johnson, 2700 minutes played this season, 7 goals, 4 assists.

This from the TFC stats page; not sure if this only includes the MLS league games. With CCL/VC etc. RJ's stats may look even better.

Yohan
10-21-2012, 08:09 PM
Terry Dunfield, 2403 minutes played this season, 3 goals, 0 assists. (I would expect your average midfielder to have a few assists in a season, even if he plays more on the defensive end. Plus Terry is supposedly "box to box" at least under Mariner.)

Ryan Johnson, 2700 minutes played this season, 7 goals, 4 assists.

This from the TFC stats page; not sure if this only includes the MLS league games. With CCL/VC etc. RJ's stats may look even better.

Dunfield has 3 goals in CCL. Ryan Johnson has 1 goal. IIRC neither players scored in Voyagerus cup

MKR
10-21-2012, 09:11 PM
I don't know why he gets shat on by you guys.

He's been as good as De Guzman for this team if not better. I'll admit i didn't watch as much this year as i have in the past (i have little interest in exhibition games), but what i did see was alright. Nothing outstanding, but a guy who did good in his role. Definitely not a problem. You know what to tell the truth he's about as good as Carl Robinson was, and most people really liked Carl Robinson.

Anyways, congrats Terry. Keep doing what you do and don't listen to the haters.

Benficachop20
10-21-2012, 09:21 PM
theres a reason why our midfield is constantly being over powered, and if u don't think guys like Dunfield or Maund plays a role in that, then your kidding yourself. I would have gone with either kocic or Morgan.

denime
10-21-2012, 09:48 PM
Godfield a MVP ? LOL

DaBandit
10-21-2012, 10:42 PM
I would have picked silva.. He's one of the few I would keep from this shit show.

Stryker
10-22-2012, 12:58 AM
Most valuable player on "the worst team in the world".
You da man!

narduch
10-22-2012, 07:44 AM
I think Dunfield is one of the reasons we are the worst team in the league. A good MLS team will have a way better player in his role.

That being said, who else deserved MVP on this team? Maybe Morgan? Kocic was a good candidate until Mariner benched him. Koevermans didn't play enough.

Besides I'm not too bothered by this. This is the same club that named Cann MVP when De Rosario deserved it by a mile.

Chevy
10-22-2012, 08:06 AM
I think Dunfield is one of the reasons we are the worst team in the league. A good MLS team will have a way better player in his role.

That being said, who else deserved MVP on this team? Maybe Morgan? Kocic was a good candidate until Mariner benched him. Koevermans didn't play enough.

Besides I'm not too bothered by this. This is the same club that named Cann MVP when De Rosario deserved it by a mile.

The good MLS clubs have way better players in EVERY role. Congrats to Dunny for the MVP. I personally would have went with Milos, but you can't deny the guys effort and enthusiasm. In a season like this one that has to count for something.

[NBF]
10-22-2012, 08:11 AM

+1
Exactly, what I was about to point out. As well as Joao Plata getting an MVP nod last season. He was a guy off the bench and I would have thought they would let him go after the loan deal was expired. It really just makes no sense to name Terry Dunfield over Ryan Johnson or Ashton Morgan.

I think maybe they're planning on offering him a coaching job in the academy, so this is the way they choose to court him. After all he is a Manchester City alumni.

Phil
Its funny, when Dan Gargan was here, he was the centimental favorite of all of the supporters. I don't know what Terry did to get the abuse that some hand out.

Anyhow it was a crap year and its tough to make any kind of selection like this. Congrats to him for the award.

maninb
He will become team Captain next year and then become Mariner's NANNY in Bermuda when PM is eventually FIRED....

jabbronies
10-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Congrats to Terry on his award! He worked hard out there and really turned his game around mid-season.

Hate on him all you want people, he was one of the few players who stepped up and tried to bring this team together on the pitch.
When other players were fighting with each other on the pitch or just not trying at all, he was actually working to keep things together.

I'm not saying he's a fucking superstar and we should pay him DP money, but in the context of how this team played this year and with all the injuries TFC has had, he was one of the standout guys. Love him or hate him, he did his job and didn't gripe about it on the pitch.

I'm glad Silva didn't get MVP. He's a kid. That kind of shit can make a players head swell too big to the point where their game starts to suffer (See "Plata 2012")
Well deserved Rookie of the year for him and hope next year he can step up and prove to us he is an MVP on this team.

[NBF]
10-22-2012, 09:06 AM
He will become team Captain next year and then become Mariner's NANNY in Bermuda when PM is eventually FIRED....
^ LOL^

That reminds me of "Eastbound and Down".

Paul Mariner's Eastbound and Down:

1. First he was a professional athlete.
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/c0.0.402.402/p403x403/577192_10151058672731721_884410605_n.jpg

2. Second, he decides to take up coaching and becomes the head coach of a second tier team.

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/photo/2012/0217/grant_eastbounds3team_640.jpg&w=640&h=360

3. He gets canned from the second tier team and makes alot of money from being bought out of his contract. He starts a KIA dealership and hires a passive monkey to do his dirty work for $6 dollars an hour.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef016301f79ec2970d-600wi

4. Then he makes so much money on the island that he can do anything with immunity and repays his most loyal servants with key posts at the dealership.

http://www.omega-level.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/image21.jpg

jloome
10-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Congrats to Terry on his award! He worked hard out there and really turned his game around mid-season.

Hate on him all you want people, he was one of the few players who stepped up and tried to bring this team together on the pitch.
When other players were fighting with each other on the pitch or just not trying at all, he was actually working to keep things together.

I'm not saying he's a fucking superstar and we should pay him DP money, but in the context of how this team played this year and with all the injuries TFC has had, he was one of the standout guys. Love him or hate him, he did his job and didn't gripe about it on the pitch.

I'm glad Silva didn't get MVP. He's a kid. That kind of shit can make a players head swell too big to the point where their game starts to suffer (See "Plata 2012")
Well deserved Rookie of the year for him and hope next year he can step up and prove to us he is an MVP on this team.

Why when someone disagrees with you is it automating "hating" on someone?

I make my decisions based on objective measurements, like statistical performance. ANd he was, statistically, one of the worst starting midfielders in the league.

That's not a personal judgment; I don't "Hate" Terry Dunfield; in fact, he seems very nice. I just think he's a rotten midfielder, and a third-stringer at best in this league. I don't think he turned anything around this season other than having a coach who has faith in him. Other than that he displays the same inconsistency and poor judgment he did at other clubs.

He didn't stand out at all to me; if anything, he was consistently poor, like most of the team.

The idea that he was better, over the course of the season than Luis Silva, who got half the time but bagged five goals and five assistants (Dunfield 3 and 0) or Ryan Johnson, or Ashtone Morgan is ridiculous.

And our MVP, by a country fucking mile, was Danny Koervermans. If a gets points in most games a guy plays in, then doesn't get any points as soon as he gets injured, it's a fair marker that he made a difference.

If people want to argue it shouldn't be to a guy who played half a season, it would go to Milos Kocic, who kept us in numerous matches.

Terry Dunfield gets an 'A' for effort, a 'D' for football.

bertal
10-22-2012, 02:25 PM
you cant fault his effort though

jabbronies
10-22-2012, 02:48 PM
Why when someone disagrees with you is it automating "hating" on someone?

I make my decisions based on objective measurements, like statistical performance. ANd he was, statistically, one of the worst starting midfielders in the league.

That's not a personal judgment; I don't "Hate" Terry Dunfield; in fact, he seems very nice. I just think he's a rotten midfielder, and a third-stringer at best in this league. I don't think he turned anything around this season other than having a coach who has faith in him. Other than that he displays the same inconsistency and poor judgment he did at other clubs.

He didn't stand out at all to me; if anything, he was consistently poor, like most of the team.

The idea that he was better, over the course of the season than Luis Silva, who got half the time but bagged five goals and five assistants (Dunfield 3 and 0) or Ryan Johnson, or Ashtone Morgan is ridiculous.

And our MVP, by a country fucking mile, was Danny Koervermans. If a gets points in most games a guy plays in, then doesn't get any points as soon as he gets injured, it's a fair marker that he made a difference.

If people want to argue it shouldn't be to a guy who played half a season, it would go to Milos Kocic, who kept us in numerous matches.

Terry Dunfield gets an 'A' for effort, a 'D' for football.

And why do you take everything people say on this messageboard so personally. Chill the fuck out.Why do you think this post was directed at you?
And who the fuck disagreed with me directly except for you? No one else responded to my post disagreeing with what I said.

Anyways, since I'm already responding to whinny part of your post, I might as well respond to the football portion of it as well.

Past MVP winners on this team are not always based on stats. This isn't necessarily a football award that you would see other teams giving out. It's a fucking good gesture/feel good award that rewards the hard workers on the team. Cann won it over Dero; Robbo won it twice over Dichio, Guevara, Edu. Hell Frings didn't really do anything mind blowing last season, but he still got the MVP award over Koevs. If you have been following this team at all this season you would've seen Dunfield winning this award months ago when Mariner took over. He's become the poster boy for TFC's 2012 season. Of course he isn't close to being the best player on the team, but again, this award isn't about that is it?

starter
10-22-2012, 02:50 PM
I think it is unfair to compare Terry goal production with Silva or Johnson, but the sad truth is that Mariner system 'rewards' mediocrity + effort. I guess that 2 runner-ups were Hall and Maund, LOL. And I actually like Terry, but in the system where his abilities and good work rate are used rationally.

Alonso
10-22-2012, 02:51 PM
I don't know why he gets shat on by you guys.

He's been as good as De Guzman for this team if not better. I'll admit i didn't watch as much this year as i have in the past (i have little interest in exhibition games), but what i did see was alright. Nothing outstanding, but a guy who did good in his role. Definitely not a problem. You know what to tell the truth he's about as good as Carl Robinson was, and most people really liked Carl Robinson.

Anyways, congrats Terry. Keep doing what you do and don't listen to the haters.

I agree. Don't like all the shating being done around here on Dunfield. I disagree that he's better then DeGuzman, that's clearly not the case.

He is a solid off the bench veteran player and has come through for us in some big unexpected moments.

I think he should get props for the heart that he shows and plays with. That's an intangible that every team needs, and we get that from him at a good price. Hopefully he's with us again next year.

DangerRed
10-22-2012, 03:13 PM
;1538021']^ LOL^

That reminds me of "Eastbound and Down".

Fuck me, that Geisha episode was some disturbing shit...

jloome
10-22-2012, 06:26 PM
And why do you take everything people say on this messageboard so personally. Chill the fuck out.Why do you think this post was directed at you?

Wow, that's a pretty fucking stupid comeback from a guy who just posted generically that people should stop hating on Terry Dunfield. "Hey, I didn't say any of YOU specifically, so don't get offended, yo."

If you don't have a point, don't try to make a point. If someone specifically is doing something that bothers you, call them out specifically, don't call out people generally and then try to turtle when someone calls YOU out for doing it. Stupid generalities like that start half the disputes on this board.

As for his effort, any time you end a sentence saying "well, obviously he wasn't our best player," you've pretty much validated those who criticize his ability.... which was the point.

KRO
10-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Well deserved. IMHO he was our most consistent player this year. What he lacks in skill he makes up for in effort and his reading of the game. I hope he is still around next year, with better players around him!

Ajax TFC
10-22-2012, 07:28 PM
This is embarrassing. He was the worst player in Winter's midfield reliant system and a huge factor in the 0-9 start. He never got better under Mariner, but rather the whole team got worse, making his hard work look really good by comparison. His lack of positional awareness, lack of speed, lack of passing ability, and poor tackling never got better, they just weren't obvious when playing a system where the midfield is bypassed and everyone is expected to kick it long.

The reasoning that Danny Koev doesn't deserve it because he didn't play enough is absurd. He had nine goals and two assists, and was directly responsible for seven of our points. MVP stands for Most Valuable Player. I don't know how you can argue that there's a player more valuable to this team than Koevermans, and the shit record after his injury proves just how valuable he was.

For Fuck's sake, the things that we give MVP awards out for are the same things that amateur teams and elementary schools give out participant ribbons for. This is an embarrassment that we've named someone who can't play football as the most valuable player on our FOOTBALL team

supersaint
10-22-2012, 10:27 PM
UOTE=Ajax TFC;1538257]This is embarrassing. He was the worst player in Winter's midfield reliant system and a huge factor in the 0-9 start. He never got better under Mariner, but rather the whole team got worse, making his hard work look really good by comparison. His lack of positional awareness, lack of speed, lack of passing ability, and poor tackling never got better, they just weren't obvious when playing a system where the midfield is bypassed and everyone is expected to kick it long.

The reasoning that Danny Koev doesn't deserve it because he didn't play enough is absurd. He had nine goals and two assists, and was directly responsible for seven of our points. MVP stands for Most Valuable Player. I don't know how you can argue that there's a player more valuable to this team than Koevermans, and the shit record after his injury proves just how valuable he was.

For Fuck's sake, the things that we give MVP awards out for are the same things that amateur teams and elementary schools give out participant ribbons for. This is an embarrassment that we've named someone who can't play football as the most valuable player on our FOOTBALL team[/QUOTE]

You might be a totally biased Dutch tosser, but I have to say....Well Said

__wowza
10-23-2012, 02:27 AM
This is embarrassing. He was the worst player in Winter's midfield reliant system and a huge factor in the 0-9 start. He never got better under Mariner, but rather the whole team got worse, making his hard work look really good by comparison. His lack of positional awareness, lack of speed, lack of passing ability, and poor tackling never got better, they just weren't obvious when playing a system where the midfield is bypassed and everyone is expected to kick it long.

For Fuck's sake, the things that we give MVP awards out for are the same things that amateur teams and elementary schools give out participant ribbons for. This is an embarrassment that we've named someone who can't play football as the most valuable player on our FOOTBALL team

alright. we're giving someone shit for a system that played against their strengths for 9 games of the season, discounting them for playing in a system that suited them for the other 25. if your point is correct about the whole team getting worse under him, then surely his stats would've taken a hit right? not so, they got better. i've posted the stats, and i'll post the updates when i get the chance, but last i looked.. he's our been most prolific and accurate passer. he can get the ball and move it up the field (and im not including backpasses at which point he'd still top everyone) without it being intercepted or without it being stripped from him.

im not naive, i know that goals win games, but don't you think it's shortsighted to say that his scoring goals can be directly responsible for 7 points? frankly it's a bit of a slap in the face to everyone who stopped a shot, won a tackle, intercepted a pass or or blocked a ball to preserve those goals. if you're going by the logic that someone not being there can highlight just how bad a team really is, then fuck it, give it to frei. he would've stopped more shots then kocic, he's our number 1, and he wasn't around this season. see the difference between this season and last when we had frei in net? unfair comparison without looking at the other external factors right?

some people will take the time to shit on everything this man does. he scores a winning goal against vancouver, what the fuck ever, he's still shit right? it doesn't help that he's performed better under mariner's system either. i've heard it described far too often; "mariner always plays him", "he's shit an mariner gives him the armband", "mariners favourite player", then call a spade a spade.. it's a fuckin package deal.

Auzzy
10-23-2012, 06:00 AM
I agree that Dunfield gets too much grief, and I do think he's improved considerably at least in his passing. It's a problem of the team & Mariner that too much is expected of Dunfield (just like Freddy Hall, Jeremy Hall, Aaron Maund, Wiedeman, and others). All of them very nice guys, just like Dunfield. Especially as a MVP, a comparison to MVPs and key midfielders from other MLS teams would be very interesting IMO. A "box-to-box" midfielder with 0 assists in the MLS season? I also wonder about his defensive stats as far as those exist & are meaningful. I think Maund's & Dunfield defensive play are likely as much a factor in the number of goals TFC leaks as the makeshift central defense, weak right FB, and goal-tending issues.

Fort York Redcoat
10-23-2012, 06:47 AM

Koevermans. No question he's more valuable when fit but he's not. That's why the award was up for debate. If he played more than half the games of the year this debate would be definitely absurd. 16 reg games.

brad
10-23-2012, 07:11 AM
Its funny, when Dan Gargan was here, he was the centimental favorite of all of the supporters. I don't know what Terry did to get the abuse that some hand out.

Anyhow it was a crap year and its tough to make any kind of selection like this. Congrats to him for the award.

He's being made a figurehead/scapegoat for the poor season we have had by a lot of folks.

brad
10-23-2012, 07:13 AM
Personally I think this is more about trying to build Dunfield up as a face of the club. He's exactly the kind of player that Toronto sports fans tend to love. All heart, max effort, ect, ect.

v00d00daddy
10-23-2012, 07:40 AM
Anyways, since I'm already responding to whinny part of your post, I might as well respond to the football portion of it as well.

Past MVP winners on this team are not always based on stats. This isn't necessarily a football award that you would see other teams giving out. It's a fucking good gesture/feel good award that rewards the hard workers on the team. Cann won it over Dero; Robbo won it twice over Dichio, Guevara, Edu. Hell Frings didn't really do anything mind blowing last season, but he still got the MVP award over Koevs. If you have been following this team at all this season you would've seen Dunfield winning this award months ago when Mariner took over. He's become the poster boy for TFC's 2012 season. Of course he isn't close to being the best player on the team, but again, this award isn't about that is it?

Who cares about the reasoning of past winners as decided by the team? Look at the shitshow that is the wall of fame. Naming Dunfield the MVP is right up there with "wall of fame".

If it's a "hard worker" award then fucking call it that.

Moreover...."rewarding" the hard worker is precisely what is wrong with soccer in this country. We don't value talent. We value heart. And it makes me fucking sick. Did Luis Silva not work hard enough this year? How about Ashtone Morgan?

I've heard the MVP debate in every sport. Should it be given to the BEST player or the MOST VALUABLE player? And I see valid arguments for both sides.

Giving it to the hardest working is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

Now you literally want to say that "effort" (which I think every player on this team put forth this year) is the main criteria for the Most Valuable Player award.

Stop taking pictures with the players and start watching them from an objective footballing perspective.

Terry Dunfield may be a nice guy but he's an awful footballer.

alright. we're giving someone shit for a system that played against their strengths for 9 games of the season, discounting them for playing in a system that suited them for the other 25.

Simple questions:

1. What are his strengths?

2. How do these "strengths" translate into him being worthy of the Most Valuable Player award over guys like Kocic, Silva, Morgan etc.?

3. Which of Dunfield's strengths do the players I mentioned lack?

bigredone
10-23-2012, 07:56 AM
After this season is anyone inspired to win this award?

jabbronies
10-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Who cares about the reasoning of past winners as decided by the team? Look at the shitshow that is the wall of fame. Naming Dunfield the MVP is right up there with "wall of fame".

If it's a "hard worker" award then fucking call it that.

Moreover...."rewarding" the hard worker is precisely what is wrong with soccer in this country. We don't value talent. We value heart. And it makes me fucking sick. Did Luis Silva not work hard enough this year? How about Ashtone Morgan?

I've heard the MVP debate in every sport. Should it be given to the BEST player or the MOST VALUABLE player? And I see valid arguments for both sides.

Giving it to the hardest working is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

Now you literally want to say that "effort" (which I think every player on this team put forth this year) is the main criteria for the Most Valuable Player award.

Stop taking pictures with the players and start watching them from an objective footballing perspective.

Terry Dunfield may be a nice guy but he's an awful footballer.

I don't disagree with you here.
MVP should be the best player. And like everyone is saying - Koevs made the most impact in his short time here. But again, it's a team award. Who gives a fuck? If the league gave him MVP honours, then there would be trouble. But again..team award. means nothing. Everyone knows what he is capable of and where he should be starting(bench player), but you can't blame the guy for getting a starting role or a team award. That's all I'm saying. the guy got the award. Give him a pat on the back and move on.

jabbronies
10-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Wow, that's a pretty fucking stupid comeback from a guy who just posted generically that people should stop hating on Terry Dunfield. "Hey, I didn't say any of YOU specifically, so don't get offended, yo."

If you don't have a point, don't try to make a point. If someone specifically is doing something that bothers you, call them out specifically, don't call out people generally and then try to turtle when someone calls YOU out for doing it. Stupid generalities like that start half the disputes on this board.

As for his effort, any time you end a sentence saying "well, obviously he wasn't our best player," you've pretty much validated those who criticize his ability.... which was the point.

Again stop taking shit so personally. Seems like almost every fucking thread you are in you take offence to something. Chill the fuck out

ManUtd4ever
10-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Terry Dunfield may not be the most skilled player on the pitch, but no one can question his heart, determination, and defensive tenacity. I am confused by the derision he has recieved from so many supporters. Carl Robinson was previously voted as RPB player of the year, and he was a very similar type of player.

My personal vote would have gone to Koevermans, but if the vote was going to be based on players that remained healthy throughout the entire season, Dunfield deserves it as much as anyone else.

In any case, it was an absolutely dreadful season, so I'm not sure how much solace Dunfield will take in his accomplishment.

T-boy
10-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Koev's should be MVP. It's really irrelevant that he didn't play many games. He had the most influence over the season, and before he got injured he was a direct correlation to TFC's good form. After he got injured, TFC didn't win another game.

Dunfield was "most improved" player this season, and I'd be fine giving him an award for that. But really, Koev's proved his value in a handful of games, and deserves to be named our best player. If Dunfield showed his latter season form throughout the WHOLE season, then he would be a close second to Koev's for MVP - but as it is, I'd say Koev's was TFC's best player this season.

bigredone
10-23-2012, 10:28 AM
Koev's should be MVP. It's really irrelevant that he didn't play many games. He had the most influence over the season, and before he got injured he was a direct correlation to TFC's good form. After he got injured, TFC didn't win another game.

Dunfield was "most improved" player this season, and I'd be fine giving him an award for that. But really, Koev's proved his value in a handful of games, and deserves to be named our best player. If Dunfield showed his latter season form throughout the WHOLE season, then he would be a close second to Koev's for MVP - but as it is, I'd say Koev's was TFC's best player this season.

He also gave the FO and many others the wake-up call they needed by saying what needed to be said in pubic. Many disagree with his comments, however, our shit stunk a little less after that interview.

ryan
10-23-2012, 10:54 AM
If we didn't have Terry Dunfield, I doubt our record would be any different. I'd even argue it might be better if it wasn't for all those god damn spot kicks he gives (cause he's loving getting beat so he pulls the ol Terry Tug) and then turns around with some terrible spot kicks himself.

No real value other than willingness to run for 90 and I'm sure we can dig up someone from Bermuda who can do that. I mean, you give the guy every minute possible on a team devoid of talent, ideas or desire...you're bound to luck into some success by being the guy in the middle of the pitch. That's all it fuckin was.

Without Danny K, we'd probably have 2 wins or less.

Actual value.

Without Milos, we'd probably have given up 20 more goals with a keeper like Freddy.

Actual value.

Without Maund, we'd actually not be playing shorthanded with an invisible player.

Negative value.

But lets boast about Dunfield, because the media is taking directive to shove him down our throats.

mdc 77
10-23-2012, 11:17 AM
I don't see the media shoving Terry Dunfield "down our throats".

Interesting fact, this is the second time in a few years Terry has won player of the year for his club.

I realize that Terry Dunfield is not a a top MLS player (obvious) and if we were a good team he certainly shouldn't be starting. I would have him off the bench however, I don't really get the complete hate on for him. He works hard when he's on the pitch and thats all I can ask for. Its not his fault the club has no depth and he shouldn't be starting. Classic Toronto to pick someone to become the whipping boy of the team no matter the sport. I'm more upset that management has put a group of players in place where Terry Dunfield becomes an imnportant piece in the team.

T-boy
10-23-2012, 12:01 PM
I have nothing against Dunfield at all. He's not fantastic by any means, but he's definitely as good as most "Average" MLS midfielders. And that's what he is - lets not get carried away with anything else. If he was playing with better midfielders, Dunfield would be fine in most MLS teams. But playing with Maund (who really isn't very good by any standard) and Silva (who is still a really young guy, and inconsistent due to his age) then Dunfield struggles to fill out a whole central midfield.

But to say that Dunfield has the "most influence" and "most value" over the course of this season would be stretching things a little. Agreed with ryan, Koev's and Kocic have both had more influence, even if they have played less time than Dunfield. The MVP should show the overall value to the team's performance over the season - and while Koev's was firing on all cylindars mid season, TFC picked up nearly ALL their points. Without that little peak this season, TFC wouldn't have any points at all.

ryan
10-23-2012, 12:02 PM

Interesting fact, this is the second time in a few years Terry has won player of the year for his club.

I realize that Terry Dunfield is not a a top MLS player (obvious) and if we were a good team he certainly shouldn't be starting. I would have him off the bench however, I don't really get the complete hate on for him. He works hard when he's on the pitch and thats all I can ask for. Its not his fault the club has no depth and he shouldn't be starting. Classic Toronto to pick someone to become the whipping boy of the team no matter the sport. I'm more upset that management has put a group of players in place where Terry Dunfield becomes an imnportant piece in the team.

Pay more attention to Jason DeVos. Can't watch 30 minutes of TFC football without him telling us how great he is.

But what it boils down to is as you said, "I would have him off the bench"...and that's our MVP?

Again, I question the value compared to the value offered by other reds.

MKR
10-23-2012, 12:13 PM

exactly. not only that, but his effort does actually improve the team. He's fine at what he does and for what his role is supposed to be. And to hear people talk about him like he's Nick Garcia or how he is the one responsible for the losses. Give me a freaking break. Terry Dunfield is the least of this team's problems.

ryan
10-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Question: How many games do we have a media photo of Terry tugging a player who's beaten him, to the ground?

Answer: All of them.

MVP! MVP!

Razor
10-23-2012, 12:40 PM
After this season is anyone inspired to win this award?

My thoughts exactly. The whole team sucked.

If anything the fans deserve the award for putting up with this shit show for the past 6 years.

ryan
10-23-2012, 01:08 PM
My thoughts exactly. The whole team sucked.

If anything the fans deserve the award for putting up with this shit show for the past 6 years.

Exactly what the team should have done actually. Hung an MVP banner in the south end and called it a season.

DoubleUp
10-23-2012, 02:44 PM
The epitome of a good player in Toronto, a hack that try's hard.

Yohan
10-23-2012, 04:04 PM
The epitome of a good player in Toronto, a hack that try's hard.
I invite you to prove that Torsten Frings had better season than Terry Dunfield

I'm all for constructive criticism, but the level of venom that goes into essentially a victimization of a player (and there is at least one every year) is frankly shocking. taking it so personally like Dunfield raped and murdered your sister or something

Auzzy
10-23-2012, 04:20 PM

I'm all for constructive criticism, but the level of venom that goes into essentially a victimization of a player (and there is at least one every year) is frankly shocking. taking it so personally like Dunfield raped and murdered your sister or something

Overdramatize much? I don't believe anybody has even said they hate Dunfield. I don't see anyone directing much venom at Dunfield. A bunch of people have said he's a nice guy & tries hard. Maybe upset with his play; or especially that he gets the MVP. But certainly nothing in the ballpark of the massive exaggeration that you brought at the end of your post.

EDIT And why do you bring up Frings? Nobody in the whole thread has suggested that Frings should be MVP. I think most people agree what's up with Frings: relatively old & slow; struggled with a couple of injuries including the chronic hip thing which all affected his play a great deal; passes well & good vision especially when fit; sidelined even more under Mariner's "system."

Yohan
10-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Overdramatize much? I don't believe anybody has even said they hate Dunfield. I don't see anyone directing much venom at Dunfield. A bunch of people have said he's a nice guy & tries hard. Maybe upset with his play; or especially that he gets the MVP. But certainly nothing in the ballpark of the massive exaggeration that you brought at the end of your post.
It's not just this thread, but just the tone of a lot of posts on the forum in general.

EDIT And why do you bring up Frings? Nobody in the whole thread has suggested that Frings should be MVP. I think most people agree what's up with Frings: relatively old & slow; struggled with a couple of injuries including the chronic hip thing which all affected his play a great deal; passes well & good vision especially when fit; sidelined even more under Mariner's "system."
I bring up Frings because he's the most technical player on the team, yet arguably Dunfield, a 'hack', contributed just as much to the team as Frings did this year. (and I count Frings' injury proneness as a count against him)

bigredone
10-23-2012, 04:41 PM

Dunfield did what? I heard it was a BMO security guard.......sorry! hehe

DoubleUp
10-23-2012, 05:01 PM

I think your the one taking this a little to personal. I never mentioned frings and my statement had less to do with the player and more to do with Toronto fc and its football culture.:chillpill:

trane
10-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Even naming an MVP after such an awful, lost season, seems kind of self-parodying.

"See that car wreck over there? Well, you were the most valuable part of it! Congratulations!"

- Scott

That is how I feel. MVP of what??? An MVP who lead us to what? The worst season ever. The fact that he was named an MVP tells you how shit this team was, and this season was. I do not hate dunfield, but from the remarks from the manager to this, this tells me of pure PR bullshit, and this team is full of pure PR bullshit nothign else, 6 years of pure bullshit. We are the worst team in the MLS, and the worst team in Canada by a long shot. Not naming an MVP would have been the way to go. And if you are going to name an MVP then you name one that acctually helped us get us some of the few meager points that we have, Danny K, the one that had the balls to say it like it is, that this team is utter pure shit.

tiberius
10-23-2012, 10:45 PM

Well my friend, I have decided to feed you tonight...

If I had a nickle for:
1. every useless attempted slide tackle
2. every useless, counterproductive back pass
3. every wimpy, useless 6 foot pass that boosts his stats
4. every pull down of an opponent after being beat.
5. every bad, stupid, clumsy foul
6. every sad, useless free kick
7. every bad corner kick
8. Christ, while we are at it, lets not forget the stupid give aways!
9. did I mention ducking balls headed toward our goal?
10. how about turning your back on attempts at our goal?

FROM TERRY DUNFIELD,

I would be rich enough to afford a pair of prawn seats next season.

Oh poor, poor Terry Dunfield - such a victim - oh boy - I think I will cry - he has it soooo bad.... being the coaches pet is such a hard gig. We should have a pity party.... Venom? Really? How about, perhaps, just maybe, the folks that are not on the Terry Dunfield band wagon ACTUALLY WATCH THE GAMES AND KNOW A BIT ABOUT SOCCER??? Is that possible???

You actually think that Terry F. Dunfield is better than Torsten? Really??? Really??? Wow! Unbelievable.

If someone wants to arrange to give Dunfield MVP for marketing reasons, I can live with that. To rip Frings in order to justify this poofball nomination is quite another! Sad, just sad.

Next thing you know, you will be saying he is better than DeRo... How about Koevs? Is he better than Koevs? I guess he must be eh? I mean, lets face it - Dunfield did get the award?

Yohan
10-23-2012, 10:55 PM
*golf clap* :rolleyes:

for the record my vote went to Kocic

but I find it amusing that just because I dared to defend Dunfield, I know nothing about soccer

jloome
10-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Again stop taking shit so personally. Seems like almost every fucking thread you are in you take offence to something. Chill the fuck out

Again, you're full of shit. I'm in dozens of threads on this board right now from the last two weeks. Point to one where I'm having a discussion with someone absent the humility to admit they made a dumb generalization and you might have a point.

I point it out merely as a matter of fact and because I have ten free seconds. Nothing you say about anything has any significant emotional impact on me; come to think of it, it doesn't have any objective, intellectual impact most of the time either. So don't worry so much; I'm fine.

Stryker
10-24-2012, 07:42 PM
If I had a nickle for:
1. every useless attempted slide tackle
2. every useless, counterproductive back pass
3. every wimpy, useless 6 foot pass that boosts his stats
4. every pull down of an opponent after being beat.
5. every bad, stupid, clumsy foul
6. every sad, useless free kick
7. every bad corner kick
8. Christ, while we are at it, lets not forget the stupid give aways!
9. did I mention ducking balls headed toward our goal?
10. how about turning your back on attempts at our goal?

You forgot falling over after every tackle and shot.

jloome
10-24-2012, 08:04 PM
*golf clap* :rolleyes:

for the record my vote went to Kocic

but I find it amusing that just because I dared to defend Dunfield, I know nothing about soccer

Actually Yohan, he didn't say that. He said the people who don't like Dunfield DO know soccer. That doesn't mean by exclusion that those who like Dunfield don't.

I think anyone who's read your posts over time knows you know soccer.

I would however point out that a 10% improvement in passing stats from o ne coach to the next doesn't mean much when you still have poorer stats as a starter than pretty much anyone else in the league. Yes, Frings looks past it and had worse numbers; However, it's arguable that much of that was from actually being involved in the game other than as a positional wheel. Frings' had lower passing percentages because he tried to create something, often out of desparation.

His wheels are gone, but he's still 50 times the footballer Dunfield will ever be.

Shakes McQueen
10-24-2012, 09:10 PM
jloome, all of your opinions are wrong, and you're a big jerk who's stupid and your big ugly face is as dumb as a butt!

- Scott

TOBOR !
10-24-2012, 09:22 PM
I`m going to say that Dunfield was the team MVP, but only because he was set up to be by Mariner.

Mariner who dismantled this team mid-season and rebuilt it to such a degree that Dunfield stood out.

Add to that his line-up and substitution decisions, and voila, Thierry Dunfield, MVP.

/thread

DoubleUp
10-24-2012, 09:22 PM
jloome, all of your opinions are wrong, and you're a big jerk who's stupid and your big ugly face is as dumb as a butt!

- Scott

Is their moderators for moderators?

Alonso
10-24-2012, 09:31 PM

- Scott

.... g:D

Can we all get along now?!?

Alonso
10-24-2012, 09:33 PM

DoubleUp
10-24-2012, 09:51 PM
It was clearly an attempt to lighten the situation.

Relax.

And actually you should apologise to Yohan for implying that he knows nothing about soccer.

The man has forgotten more about soccer then you will ever understand.
:dupe:

First of all officer nitwit! I knew his statement was a joke, and I was joking aswell.

Secondly I will not be apologizing to anybody that I have`nt insulted their family or religious beliefs, If anybody needs to apologize its Yohan(but thats not necessary,really!.).

And my football(not soccer) pedigree is pretty high with 3 family members that have suited up for the Nats and an inner circle containing a uefaA. but this is not a pissing contest.

Like I said in the other Thread! Some of you take this stuff to seriously.:grouphug:

-Mr Popular.

Alonso
10-24-2012, 09:54 PM
:dupe:

First of all officer nitwit! I knew his statement was a joke, and I was joking aswell.

Secondly I will not be apologizing to anybody that I have`nt insulted their family or religious beliefs, If anybody needs to apologize its Yohan(but thats not necessary,really!.).

And my football(not soccer) pedigree is pretty high with 3 family members that have suited up for the Nats and an inner circle containing a uefaA. but this is not a pissing contest.

Like I said in the other Thread! Some of you take this stuff to seriously.:grouphug:

-Mr Popular.

LOL g:D

You win the pissing contest.

Enjoy.

DoubleUp
10-24-2012, 10:02 PM
LOL g:D

You win the pissing contest.

Enjoy.

Thank You.

And too indulge you.

I Doubleup on 24/10/2012 apologize to Yohan for any slight I made to his football acumen.

Alonso
10-24-2012, 10:33 PM
Thank You.

And too indulge you.

I Doubleup on 24/10/2012 apologize to Yohan for any slight I made to his football acumen.

That's very big of you.

Thank you for taking the higher ground.

Shakes McQueen
10-24-2012, 10:44 PM
That was just adorable! :D

- Scott

Yohan
10-24-2012, 10:51 PM
too much PLUR in this thread. do we just hug it out now?

PopePouri
10-25-2012, 08:23 AM
Awarding Terry is liking saying he's the thinnest kid in fat camp and to be honest, I can't think of another player that deserved it given the crappy players that Mariner played. The bar was that low this season.

jloome
10-26-2012, 12:10 AM

- Scott

It's true, my family's name before anglicizing it to Loome was Loomeuglydumbasabutt.

I stand mortifyingly corrected.

Shakes McQueen
10-26-2012, 02:22 AM
It's true, my family's name before anglicizing it to Loome was Loomeuglydumbasabutt.

I stand mortifyingly corrected.

It's Dutch, yes?

Haha.

- Scott

Derko
10-26-2012, 09:46 AM
I don't have much to say about this thread,
I think the MVP of TFC this year were the Die-Hard Supporters whom suffered through a disaster of a year,
but kept on Supporting and didn't jump off of the bus when things went south.

Perhaps we shouldn't be so critical of others opinions, and not take it so personal.:scarf: