PDA

View Full Version : Pro Mariner Bots Spam Twitter

ForeverTFC
10-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Well this is interesting - and all those accounts outside of Canada I might add.

Read into it what you will.

Greatest Ripoff
10-09-2012, 01:22 PM
wow, that is pretty pathetic and a new low.

narduch
10-09-2012, 01:26 PM
That's pretty funny.

It reminds me of a time that Larson posed the question of whether Mariner should stay or go. All the responders in favour of him staying were twitter users I had never seen comment on TFC.

mblue23
10-09-2012, 01:31 PM
I looked up the second account: acuu3ovr... the person is located in Kiev, Ukraine..

They couldn't even get Canadian bots to try and look semi-legit?

DoubleUp
10-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Wow! I dont even know what to say anymore.

jloome
10-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Astounding. Again, anyone expecting this to get the press attention it deserves doesn't understand the sorry state of media these days.

I'd send it to Ben or Duncan, one of the independents who isn't beholden. No guarantee they'll bother getting the appropriate comment from the club and fans , or a spam expert on other explanations and make a solid story of it, but at least it'll get out there.

It's a sad state when you have to hunt and peck the media for opinion columnists to make a valid point.

TOBOR !
10-09-2012, 02:26 PM
how's this work ?

is there a service you pay to tweet your mesage to make it seem as if it didn't come from you ?

DangerRed
10-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Come. On. Now.

This can't be. This is so wrong, shameful and straw-graspingly pathetic that I really can't believe it.

__wowza
10-09-2012, 02:34 PM
how's this work ?

is there a service you pay to tweet your mesage to make it seem as if it didn't come from you ?

i was part of a similar operation with a friend, but different. he had a "company" (if you could call it that) where you'd get hired to create different facebook profiles. you'd say you were showing up to an event in toronto, big it up, etc. make it look like it was the hottest shit happening in the city, spread rumours about celebrities and secret bands/djs showing up.

im sure a service like this exists for other purposes.

if it's not a bot with a pre-typed message, it's a firm of people hired to create different accounts and promote whatever they're told to. i've noticed it quite a bit on facebook. winning the hearts and minds so to speak. i've heard a lot of the "next years gonna be awesome! can't wait to see what he does with the team!" speak in several different posts.

make of it what you will, propaganda only gets you so far. people are five times as likely to spead a negative message as they are a positive one, so when people swayed by this kinda stuff show up to games, they're not likely to take it to heart.

OgtheDim
10-09-2012, 02:41 PM
how's this work ?

You can pay for followers on FB or twitter to pretty much post what ever you want.

narduch
10-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Astounding. Again, anyone expecting this to get the press attention it deserves doesn't understand the sorry state of media these days.

I'd send it to Ben or Duncan, one of the independents who isn't beholden. No guarantee they'll bother getting the appropriate comment from the club and fans , or a spam expert on other explanations and make a solid story of it, but at least it'll get out there.

It's a sad state when you have to hunt and peck the media for opinion columnists to make a valid point.

Thanks for your input on the media.

This appears to be the kind of story a site like Deadspin would cover.

OgtheDim
10-09-2012, 02:43 PM
That having been said, is this the latest spin from TFC. He's playing the young guys?

Well only because he can't clone dunfield x10.

narduch
10-09-2012, 02:44 PM
That having been said, is this the latest spin from TFC. He's playing the young guys?

I think that is the spin, along with the 'they are playing for their jobs for next season', despite the fact that he only has 12-13 players he plays and benches everyone else.

ag futbol
10-09-2012, 02:45 PM
I think that is the spin, along with the 'they are playing for their jobs for next season', despite the fact that he only has 12-13 players he plays and benches everyone else.
The ironic part is that practically nobody on the field is playing for their job. Most of those guys will be back next year without question.

brad
10-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Is this against Twitter policies? I seem to recall people getting shut down for such things in the past.

Phil
10-09-2012, 02:47 PM
I saw a few comments on twitter saying this has been going on for some time, and they even had a spam link in the past. It might be a company just targeting. Weird though.

Section_105
10-09-2012, 02:47 PM

<marinerQuote>imagine the work rate out thar, I could say Lad and mean the whole team!<marinerquote>

would like to know who put out the bots for that, just silly. Don't think Mariner has the savy to even know that twitter could be manipulated like this. or if it was someone else taking the piss.......

TOBOR !
10-09-2012, 02:59 PM
it might also just be tiberius

OgtheDim
10-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Is this against Twitter policies? I seem to recall people getting shut down for such things in the past.

They'd lose millions of accounts if they did that. They and FB talk about ditching false accounts; but in reality, they use account #'s as a metric for shareholders.

i.e They don't care.

greatwhitenorf
10-09-2012, 03:13 PM
With the oh-so wrong shorts on and the goofy hair and glasses, he looks like the love child of Owen Coyle and Garth Algar.

So sad.

jloome
10-09-2012, 04:07 PM

This is from the Liverpool game in the summer, when the kids played (and tied Liverpool.)

So it's not current. I suspect it was a spambot firm trying to target TFC fans. Probably hotlinked the hashtag to a password swiper (ala "Someone really hates you! Click here to find out etc.) that reads cookies or leaves keystrokers.

At least, that's what I hope. Surely they're not this pathetic.

Couchy81
10-09-2012, 04:58 PM
what a joke, this club is so far gone. reeks of desperation.

nonc
10-09-2012, 06:21 PM
i know that there are still Mariner supporters out there (miraculously) but i can't see an individual going to these lengths while winless in 12. TFC is simply a disgusting operation, internally.

i don't really know how it's worth it though, these type of fake accounts don't get genuine people attention, they completely rely on the hashtag. Corporate continues the proud tradition of being allergic to anything productive or genuine.

cmonyoureds
10-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Hang on! How can the F/O be technologically competent enough to do this, yet somehow I never seem to get the proper bloody e-mails from them about tix etc???????

MartinUtd
10-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Hang on! How can the F/O be technologically competent enough to do this, yet somehow I never seem to get the proper bloody e-mails from them about tix etc???????

But if they are doing it, they're doing it wrong. I mean.. Kiev? Same message posted verbatim? No, this is too stupid even for our FO.

It has to be a prank.

Technorgasm
10-12-2012, 09:06 AM
#marinerbotsgetsshitdone