PDA

View Full Version : Danny dichio for the job

RedsYNWA
10-06-2012, 10:20 PM
I mean what does everyone think..it can't get any worse. It would not cost MLSE too much and the fans will have more faith or patience at least.

ensco
10-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Not unless Anselmi and Cochrane are gone.

denime
10-06-2012, 10:22 PM
DD is not stupid,he know very well how toxic FO is.He will stay with TFCA for a long time,and that is better for him.

denime
10-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Not unless Anselmi and Cochrane are gone.

Yeah,only after all 3 stooges are gone.

RedsYNWA
10-06-2012, 10:25 PM
I hope DD gets his shot , The man sadly was our only Wall of Famer

narduch
10-06-2012, 10:28 PM
I don't want another inexperienced coach.

I agree with the point about Cochrane and Anselmi. Hell, I wouldn't even fire Mariner unless Anselmi and Cochrane are removed as well. Or else what's the point?

Auzzy
10-06-2012, 10:30 PM

I agree with the point about Cochrane and Anselmi. Hell, I wouldn't even fire Mariner unless Anselmi and Cochrane are removed as well. Or else what's the point?

I totally agree with all that!!!

Please just say no if anyone asks you, Danny. I don't want another good person to get torn to shreds in that awful environment.

Pookie
10-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Why? When Soler AND Backe might be available? Ready made package with experience and a history of success.

Ajax TFC
10-06-2012, 10:47 PM

Anselmi's the president of the whole corporation now. He ain't going anywhere. Right now I think Cochrane's the only one we really have to worry about. The first very shitty fact that has to be accepted is that whoever is picked to run this organization will be hired by the MLSE board, none of whom know anything about soccer. The less shitty thing is that Anselmi has more responsibilities now so whoever they hire to run TFC will have as much control as anyone will ever have over the team as long as it's owned by MLSE.
The point of getting rid of Mariner anyway would be to avoid detrimental squad/infrastructure damage. Even an incompetent coach would do better in the short term if it means not chasing away top academy prospects, Morgan and Avila

What we need to hope for and pressure MLSE to do is to hire someone who's been highly successful in NA soccer and make them president of the team, answering only to the MLSE board, but not needing their approval to do everything. Essentially hire a Brian Burke (who while having made some mistakes is IMO doing a good job). Also I'm quite sure that no high reputation coach/manager would sign here unless they had full power to do what they need to do. Hell just give the keys to the club to Rongen

narduch
10-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Sure, I would accept Anselmi staying with a new 'president' of TFC being hired.

I could be wrong, but I think MLSE doesn't consider TFC big enough to have its own President. That's why when Anselmi was promoted nobody was hired to fill the void at TFC.

Ajax TFC
10-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Sure, I would accept Anselmi staying with a new 'president' of TFC being hired.

I could be wrong, but I think MLSE doesn't consider TFC big enough to have its own President. That's why when Anselmi was promoted nobody was hired to fill the void at TFC.
Well technically I think Earl Cock is the de facto head of TFC. I think everyone is in agreement that he has to go along with Mariner. Not firing him is unthinkable IMO. But if TFC ever wants to get their fans back, they absolutely have to hire a highly reputable figure as manager. They'll need at least two new main people - a manager and a coach, and the coach has to be hired by the manager and clearly be below the manager in order to prevent a power struggle. I highly doubt that any reputable manager with options would come here unless they're given full control to do what they have to do. They might not consider TFC worthy of it's own president, but if they ever want it to make money again, they'll likely have to give up that power to someone who's proved themself

Cashcleaner
10-07-2012, 12:37 AM
Exactly. Danny isn't blind to the troubles facing the senior team. I think all he wants to do right now is keep his head down and do his job with as little distraction as possible. It's entirely possible that an offer might be made in the future, and he might even take the club up on the it. But I don't think it's likely anytime soon.

DoubleUp
10-07-2012, 02:29 AM
Octavio Zambrano!

get it done is coaching in columbia's second division(top of the table btw). We would easily be able to pry him away if we could promise 0 no interference and he could sign his own players and staff.

I also mentioned Marc Dos Santoshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Dos_Santos
(Palameiras fighting for relegation, this could mean restructuring)
As head of scouting and player development to work in tandem with Zambrano as far scouting was concerned, but might involve us spending a fair bit of money to pry him.

Mark in Ottawa
10-07-2012, 06:44 AM
it can't get any worse.

An infamous local sports writer here in Ottawa once said "If anyone tells you it can't get any worse .. run right over and kick em in the shins to prove how wrong they are!"

Danny D. would be wise to stay away from the head coaching job until the organization decides on its vision for the future.

DOMIN8R
10-07-2012, 07:15 AM
Let DD develop his coaching abilities further before throwing him to the wolves. We would be setting him up for failure having him run the first team now. Management's turnstile approach to coaching staff would leave him, and his recently immigrated familly, vulnerable to further geographical relocation. I love double D too much to want to risk that for him.

tiberius
10-07-2012, 09:39 AM
I mean what does everyone think..it can't get any worse. It would not cost MLSE too much and the fans will have more faith or patience at least.

Any coach on TFC right now is playing way more politics with the FO than concentrating on soccer. A clean sweep of the house Cochrane, Mariner, Brennan, Bierne and the rest of the politics playing hosebags will be required before a good president could turn this ship around. At that point, DD probably will have the support of 110% of the fans....

Step 1: Cochrane out, Rongen in as president?
Step 2: New president has to be given complete control to CLEAN HOUSE

denime
10-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Any coach on TFC right now is playing way more politics with the FO than concentrating on soccer. A clean sweep of the house Cochrane, Mariner, Brennan, Bierne and the rest of the politics playing hosebags will be required before a good president could turn this ship around. At that point, DD probably will have the support of 110% of the fans....

Agree 100%

[NBF]
10-07-2012, 11:04 AM

I personally find Thomas Rongen to be a bit of a pushover and a bit of a "yes man". I dont think with the little thats known about him that he would slot in easily as "President."

He should maybe be in charge of assigning the bow ties for gameday. Maybe one day we'll see a well dressed Canadian Head Coach with a sealskin bow tie and vest.

Blizzard
10-07-2012, 11:08 AM

Do you hate Danny so much that you would want to destroy his career?

Blizzard
10-07-2012, 11:09 AM

No, no, no. Rongen would be a disaster.

tiberius
10-07-2012, 11:41 AM
;1534524']I personally find Thomas Rongen to be a bit of a pushover and a bit of a "yes man". I dont think with the little thats known about him that he would slot in easily as "President."

You are probably correct - it takes a "yes man" to survive the TFC circus. We definitely need someone with some political experience, but strength and vision are required - I have no idea if Rongen would fit the bill in that regard, or if he is even capable of being his own man.

;1534524']He should maybe be in charge of assigning the bow ties for gameday. Maybe one day we'll see a well dressed Canadian Head Coach with a sealskin bow tie and vest.

Perhaps Rongen could be Mariners "dresser" - Paul sure could use it!

jloome
10-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Octavio Zambrano!

get it done is coaching in columbia's second division(top of the table btw). We would easily be able to pry him away if we could promise 0 no interference and he could sign his own players and staff.

I also mentioned Marc Dos Santoshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Dos_Santos
(Palameiras fighting for relegation, this could mean restructuring)
As head of scouting and player development to work in tandem with Zambrano as far scouting was concerned, but might involve us spending a fair bit of money to pry him.

He's not loved by AEG apparently because he sued them for backpay. But this column from Galarcep in 2006 illustrates why he'd fit in here.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=378629&root=mls&cc=5901

denime
10-07-2012, 03:14 PM
;1534524']I personally find Thomas Rongen to be a bit of a pushover and a bit of a "yes man". I dont think with the little thats known about him that he would slot in easily as "President."

He should maybe be in charge of assigning the bow ties for gameday. Maybe one day we'll see a well dressed Canadian Head Coach with a sealskin bow tie and vest.

The roumor that circles between US based MLS/NCAA coaches/agents/scouts is that Rongen has a clause in his contract to take over head coach position once Mariner is sacked.

Anselmi is not stupid,otherwise he wouldn't be on the position where he is right now.
Mariner was Winter's backup,Rongen is Mariner's,it was never about total football or vision,it was pure PR from ML$E and they failed,otherwise ST prices would go up once again in 2013 if by any chance "Short-pants Harry Potter"somehow managed to squeeze into playoffs.

Richard
10-07-2012, 03:55 PM
The roumor that circles between US based MLS/NCAA coaches/agents/scouts is that Rongen has a clause in his contract to take over head coach position once Mariner is sacked.

Anselmi is not stupid,otherwise he wouldn't be on the position where he is right now.
Mariner was Winter's backup,Rongen is Mariner's,it was never about total football or vision,it was pure PR from ML$E and they failed,otherwise ST prices would go up once again in 2013 if by any chance "Short-pants Harry Potter"somehow managed to squeeze into playoffs.

Im going to go out on a limb and say were going to suck with Rongen, not as bad as Marnier but we wont get playoffs with him, just my feeling.

TFC07
10-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Does Rongen believe in attacking football? Will De Klerk still be around the club if Mariner is gone?

What will happen to Mariner's right hand man (Cochrane) if Mariner's gone?

OgtheDim
10-07-2012, 04:31 PM
He's at least 5 years away from being ready to take over. He needs 3 years as an assistant under a decent coach at this level.

He'll be our gaffer eventually.

Just not now.

james
10-07-2012, 04:51 PM
1 new manager wont make a difference at TFC. MLSE FO don't have a clue what they are doing as far as creating a winning team goes. Well they even have messed up there whole marketting and price ranges, They don't have a clue what they are doing period. They all need to be fired, we need to start fresh.

tiberius
10-07-2012, 06:55 PM
1 new manager wont make a difference at TFC. MLSE FO don't have a clue what they are doing as far as creating a winning team goes. Well they even have messed up there whole marketting and price ranges, They don't have a clue what they are doing period. They all need to be fired, we need to start fresh.

I agree 100% - if Cochrane stays, Rongen is screwed.... and so we are!

Alonso
10-07-2012, 10:57 PM
Why? When Soler AND Backe might be available? Ready made package with experience and a history of success.

Do you think the league is lining these guys up to take the reigns of TFC?

I don't think the league can afford to watch this franchise tank and might force Anselmi's hand on this.

I never understood why NYRB would let these guys go after successfully turning around their team, but if the league is behind it it would kind of make sense.

I'm hopelessly grasping at straws here obviously.

Ajax TFC
10-07-2012, 11:21 PM

absolutely moronic if true. Who the hell hires a lineup of coaches? I'd be all in favour of hiring Rongen if he's the best guy available, but to promise a guy a coaching gig while the current coach is still going is just another example of this FO's incompetence.

DoubleUp
10-08-2012, 06:14 AM
He's not loved by AEG apparently because he sued them for backpay. But this column from Galarcep in 2006 illustrates why he'd fit in here.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=378629&root=mls&cc=5901

So I guess you can say they AEG/MLS owe him:D

Honestly did some research and he wasn't just an assistant in the MLS. He was brought in to make teams better technically! and tactically!, and sessions would be deferred to him.

We always talk about the MLS formula for building teams, well this guy knows his stuff. with no interference he could build us a winner and is the exact level that needed to follow after Winters dismissal .

As far as the issues within league politics, it has to be fairly sticky!, because there is no reason Mariner should have a head coaching job before him in this leaguePeriod

Also found out that the league hit-back by claiming he was"on the take".

ryan
10-08-2012, 10:38 AM
So basically we want to take one of the most loved players we've ever had, douse him in pig's blood, wrap him in a straight jacket, drop him in the middle of the ocean....and see if it makes it to shore?

Seems like what the original post is suggesting, maybe it's just me?

jloome
10-08-2012, 11:15 AM
So basically we want to take one of the most loved players we've ever had, douse him in pig's blood, wrap him in a straight jacket, drop him in the middle of the ocean....and see if it makes it to shore?

Seems like what the original post is suggesting, maybe it's just me?

Great guys often do not make great managers. It would be a shame to set our hero up to fail.

ensco
10-08-2012, 07:25 PM
I actually think Danny might be a great manager for TFC. Right now. Reason I say that is not about him per se, and I'm not sure it would translate anywhere else. But I think he commands a room, and I'm a believer in the Shankly "holy trinity": manager, fans, players.

Danny may be no better or worse than anyone else, I get that, but his relationship with us would be known to all. Danny would get a lot of time from us to get things right, and players and mgmt alike would know it.

But I would only advise him to take it if Cochrane were gone, and someone he respects other than Anselmi is the GM/President, hires him, and broadly has hire/fire authority.

TOBOR !
10-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Paul Mariner is a legend at Plymouth Argyle for his playing career, but widely panned there for his poor coaching performance... be careful what you wish for

ryan
10-09-2012, 07:10 AM
Paul Mariner is a legend at Plymouth Argyle for his playing career, but widely panned there for his poor coaching performance... be careful what you wish for

I never wished for this :(

Section 117
10-09-2012, 07:41 AM
They only way this should happen is if the FO is gutted. No one can be left to sabotage Danny with their own agendas. The FO has to be on the same page as the coach. Right now if he got the job he would be set up to fail. As the FO is a bunch if douche bags.

That being said I was told when Winter left Thomas Rogen was suggested to be coach to the end of the year and Danny was going to be the number 2 until the end of the season if the FO wanted to continue the "system" Winter had in place. We all know how that went as we now have Mr Short Pants and Earl the Pearl as the best FO in the MLS

TOBOR !
10-09-2012, 07:55 AM
I never wished for this :(

No, but the comparison is to Danny's stature at TFC... imagine he takes over here and it doesn't go well.

GlenM
10-09-2012, 07:56 AM
One Word:

NO

GlenM

TFC_Allez
10-09-2012, 08:43 AM
I mean what does everyone think..it can't get any worse.

Hahaha...famous last words.

I would never want to see our one and only legend become the most hated man in the city. Let him stay with the Academy. If the search is on and PM is shown the door, find someone with no previous ties to the city or team.

Super
10-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Could we just for ONCE try someone with at least a little bit of experience? I'm tired of signing assistants, youth coaches, bus drivers. Dichio is nowhere near ready to coach a club of our size. Not even close. Let him coach his way up the ranks, then maybe take on an NASL side ... then if successful over a period of 3-4 years, sure, I'd be up for giving him a shot.

At this point, I personally want nothing less than an EXPERIENCED head coach with a resume that includes AT LEAST 3 years of coaching a top league club (one step below MLS is fine if a trophy was won). Also, this individual should have a great reputation dealing with management, players and fans (unlike Preki). Someone who is known for an entertaining style of football. Winning mentality. It's extremely important that we get a PROVEN guy who doesn't need to be babysat. Don't forget that his boss will be Anselmi, so he better know what he's doing, because we all know that Anselmi doesn't.

We paid Preki close to a million bucks per year. We can pretty much go to Scandinavia right now and sign any damn guy we want, and they'll be a billion times better than Mariner and the other rookie coaches we've had running our club. Ideally we'd take an MLS guy of course, so that should always be our first attempt.

__wowza
10-09-2012, 12:46 PM

yeah, but we could always reuse the banner if he ends up taking us to a trophy, we can just paint a tracksuit on top of it. g:D

burlington Red
10-09-2012, 03:06 PM
I don't see Dichio as a manager of a team ever. I don't get the vibe from him that he would even want it. I defo see him in a coaching capacity within an MLS 1st Team in a few years. He has a good background in that he has played in England, Italy and the MLS so he will have picked up a broad spectrum of training on his travels.I think he'd have a bit of an issue with the distance "managers" have to create between themselves and the players. That's why I think he'd always need to be working alongside someone else and not solely in charge. He'd be a good contact between players and manager, a bit like Gary Nev was for England at Euros.
I'd like to see a good experienced MLS coach come in, someone who knows how the league works.We've tried inexperienced Euro coaches with not a lot of success. I know some people will say Mo Johnston had MLS experience as a manager, but I don't think he had enough of the right experience. We need a steady wily manager to get us out of this mess.