PDA

View Full Version : Sleepless in Seattle, Tired in Toronto...

Canary_canuck
10-04-2012, 07:53 AM
My sense is that fewer fans are coming on to the Forum and many threads ( likely including this one ) are getting fewer responses. Apathy in any endeavour is deadly but particularly those that require fan engagement and passion. It is rarely a good idea to wallow in nostalgia but I miss the heady excitement of the early days. My middle son and I were half season pack holders ( my job limited my option for full STs ) for four seasons and loved the atmosphere generated by the fans and skillfully exploited by the club. We may not get to too many games now but we still care. I particularly admire the never say die supporters like CBlake but my desire to be supportive clashes with the growing sense I had of exploitation. MLSE are to be congratulated for spotting the opportunity to bring professional soccer back to Toronto and we are indebted to them for that. However, their execution has been woeful, sacrificing long-term potential to short-term profits/ promotions etc. The Renew/ Not renew thread is fascinating but accompanied by the loss of interest and general aimlessness at the FO bodes ill for the future. MLSE...PLEASE prove me wrong.:facepalm:

narduch
10-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Part of it is general fan apathy.

But part of it is that twitter is killing discussion forums.

jloome
10-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Part of it is general fan apathy.

But part of it is that twitter is killing discussion forums.

The last Pew Research survey showed less than 8% of North Americans regularly use Twitter. It's perception, but it's not the reality. Discussion boards are still many, many times more popular.

narduch
10-04-2012, 11:53 AM
The last Pew Research survey showed less than 8% of North Americans regularly use Twitter. It's perception, but it's not the reality. Discussion boards are still many, many times more popular.

Are dissussion forums really all that popular either? I doubt it based on the anectodal evidence of the people I know.

ensco
10-04-2012, 01:24 PM
This board is maybe 50 active posters, tops.

v00d00daddy
10-04-2012, 01:43 PM
This board is maybe 50 active posters, tops.

Including the members only side?

I just assume that most of the conversation is taking place over there.

ensco
10-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Including the members only side?

I just assume that most of the conversation is taking place over there.

No, it's mostly here. When things heat up, a chunk of it moves there, to get away from the vitriol.

v00d00daddy
10-04-2012, 03:12 PM
No, it's mostly here. When things heat up, a chunk of it moves there, to get away from the vitriol.

Ahh okay. Gotcha.

Well if most of the chat is over here then it's scary to see how little there is.

ensco
10-04-2012, 03:16 PM
I haven't the faintest idea what the actual numbers are. I'm just saying that it seems to me like a small number of people (30 or 40?) are responsible for a significant majority of the posts.

james
10-04-2012, 05:18 PM
i was just thinking this same thing a few weeks ago. It use to be that If something was posted you would have loads of response. After a few days if that post didn't have more then a few pages long it no longer was even on the first page as it got overwhelmed by other posts with more responses. Today a post with 1 page of responses can last weeks on the front page. Sad really. I have not been going to all the games like i use to, as games are pointless and MLSE has just reunied the spirit and makes me not want to support MLSE. However i try to still keep track on the message board. MLSE have a huge problem on there hands, and have to prove alot of comitment to the fans if they want to fix this mess.

jloome
10-04-2012, 06:08 PM
I don't even think it's apathy about football. It's apathy about having anything new to say, any new discussions. We've just been dragged through the same shit for so long, and yet the fans -- particularly the hardcores -- still seem to be the only ones to recognize that it is, in fact, a pile of shit, and not an ice cream sundae.

Canary_canuck
10-04-2012, 06:34 PM
I don't even think it's apathy about football. It's apathy about having anything new to say, any new discussions. We've just been dragged through the same shit for so long, and yet the fans -- particularly the hardcores -- still seem to be the only ones to recognize that it is, in fact, a pile of shit, and not an ice cream sundae.
If there was excitement we would find lots of things to discuss. Your point is particularly troubling because once the hardcore drift away there is not much bedrock left. But I can't help sympathizing with the team members and the dwindling band of ultras.Both deserve better.

jazzy
10-04-2012, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=Canary_canuck;1533893]If there was excitement we would find lots of things to discuss. Your point is particularly troubling because once the hardcore drift away there is not much bedrock left. But I can't help sympathizing with the team members and the dwindling band of ultras.Both deserve better.[/QUoveOTE]

yes I struggle with all of the above, ideas and I am particularly distressed that there is a loss of character within the club. I love the game and especially with my wife love<d> attending games but I am so split right now on wanting feverishly to support our local team while on the other hand being taken completely for granted by a hugely misguided FO with no one competent leading them. What to do? .....the ONLY reason to follow the team per se is to occasionally see the great people I have met thru the games and online thru rpb's etc....remember though this IS Toronto and we have all to frequently been at the short end of the stick when it comes to pro sports , get my drift.....maybe we're a tad tired of the over-priced farce/ and BS of sports franchises here......I know I am

james
10-04-2012, 07:37 PM
biggest issue with me is we have been over priced, ripped off and given back nothing in return. MLSE is a soleless company trying to get every penny from us. And that is what makes me not care any more. Had we had a nice owner who actually cares about footy and footy culture i would still go to the games even if are team sucked on the field as long as i know they are trying there best and show the fans that they care about them as well.