PDA

View Full Version : PRE/IN/POST GAME THREAD-TOR vs DC- Oct. 06. 1:00PM ,TSN

denime
10-03-2012, 02:03 PM
So let's why this game is so important for us?

RPB Breakfast Tailgate :party:
Sat October 6th @ 10:00 AM

Other then that,1-1 would look good on our resume.

Starting lineup?

Initial B
10-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Mariner's starting line-up? Whoever he likes, I guess.

I'm figuring a 2-1 loss for TFC since Silva is in Mariner's doghouse and O'Dea is likely to go down with an ACL tear knowing our luck with injuries. The only game they have a chance of winning the rest of the year is against Montreal.

Suds
10-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Ugh, it's Wedneday evening before gameday and only two posts discussing the game. Sad times indeed.

I'm actually predicting a win. No tactical reasoning other than the fact even crap teams get a win here and there.

A tailgate is always something to look forward to!!

10-03-2012, 11:23 PM
You have to believe me when I tell you I'm not intending to be negative with this post! I'm hoping for a win. I'll be there, and I'll be cheering for a win. But after the RBNY game, I think it's worth noting that we are now -97 GD in all-time league play. Pretty sure that's a current record. It would be nice to never hit triple digits.

narduch
10-04-2012, 06:11 AM
DCU needs a win to stay in the playoff race. They have coped fairly well with De Ro out.

I fully expect another loss for TFC.

Super
10-04-2012, 01:34 PM
I'll be rooting against TFC for this one (from my couch, my seat remains empty at BMO). I'd like to see Mariner finish the season without points in the final games - it's the only chance we have of getting rid of him, and then hopefully having a chance in 2013.

maninb
10-04-2012, 02:52 PM
I'll be rooting against TFC for this one (from my couch, my seat remains empty at BMO). I'd like to see Mariner finish the season without points in the final games - it's the only chance we have of getting rid of him, and then hopefully having a chance in 2013.

I agree...but TFC seem to have already committed to have PM managing next year....

TOBOR !
10-04-2012, 05:39 PM
I agree...but TFC seem to have already committed to have PM managing next year.... they committed three years to Winter didn't they?

[NBF]
10-04-2012, 06:04 PM
they committed three years to Winter didn't they?

They gave Bobby Valentine until the end of the MLB season, so there's really no point to firing the guy in a losing season until the season is done and dusted. If anything he hasnt helped himself by being a complete idiot during the transfer window or during his coaching and game management. I dont think you can regain the confidence and respect from the players during one winter season, when you've been throwing them under the bus or when you have a history of throwing people under the bus.

My guess is that the players will be glad the season is over and they will make plans to move elsewhere or demand a release or choose to retire, but as the 2013 season looms, the level of frustrations will raise again and the number of games on the schedule will seem like a "death march" to November.

TOBOR !
10-04-2012, 06:14 PM
^ not sure if agreeing with me or not...

maninb
10-05-2012, 07:26 AM
they committed three years to Winter didn't they?

True...but imo both PM and EC will have to be fired at once (fine with me), as EC has hitched his wagon to PM.....also somebody mentioned that PM still has a lot of respect around the league and with league mgmt (God knows why?), and that TFC wouldn't want to "upset" them....

narduch
10-05-2012, 07:30 AM
True...but imo both PM and EC will have to be fired at once (fine with me), as EC has hitched his wagon to PM.....also somebody mentioned that PM still has a lot of respect around the league and with league mgmt (God knows why?), and that TFC wouldn't want to "upset" them....

That's something Duane Rollins likes to throw around.

Sounds like a stretch to me.

Besides, our situation is so dire that we can't stand still even if that was the case. You can't keep an incompetent person employed for that reason.

TOBOR !
10-05-2012, 07:41 AM

someone mentioned that the club has already committed to PM for 2 more years. My comment about Winter's term was to indicate that this is meaningless. Winter never got his three years. I hope to Jeebus that PM is gone after this horrible season.

Oldtimer
10-05-2012, 07:46 AM
Ugh, it's Wedneday evening before gameday and only two posts discussing the game. Sad times indeed.

I'm actually predicting a win. No tactical reasoning other than the fact even crap teams get a win here and there.

A tailgate is always something to look forward to!!

TFC will lose. Trust me. DC will eat TFC's lunch.

DoubleUp
10-05-2012, 08:10 AM
That's something Duane Rollins likes to throw around.

Sounds like a stretch to me.

Besides, our situation is so dire that we can't stand still even if that was the case. You can't keep an incompetent person employed for that reason.
:thumbsup:

Fort York Redcoat
10-05-2012, 08:15 AM

Disagree. With both rooting against my team and the fact we need to lose this game to get rid of Mariner. I think they felt they had to sign Mariner to a contract to get enough out of him but I don't think it means we're stuck with him. If the marketing team is asking if we like him over the phone survey I don't see confidence in their signing him.

I just want him gone before the start of the season. None of this mid-season bullshit.

narduch
10-05-2012, 08:36 AM
I agree, wins won't save Mariner, especially not wins in meaningless games. Just like that win didn't save Winter.

Although I do think big losses do have a chance of speeding up the process.

Section 117
10-05-2012, 09:13 AM
I have a question guys, would it be wrong for me to cheer when DC socres and cheer when TFC hoofs the ball from defence to the forwards?

narduch
10-05-2012, 09:15 AM
I have a question guys, would it be wrong for me to cheer when DC socres and cheer when TFC hoofs the ball from defence to the forwards?

We should do an 'ole' for every hoof.

tfcleeds
10-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Win, lose, at this point does it really matter? We're all but assured of taking home the wooden spoon this year. At this point, it's more about the drink, the laughs, and hanging out with the lads than it is about the football. I'm very despondent when I think about what 2013 will bring.

cmonyoureds
10-05-2012, 09:19 AM

Only if the cheer for DC scoring is as follows:

Qu est que vous chantez?
We play football the wrong way.

However the "ole" cheer on every hoofball is most certainly a good one also.

Derko
10-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Would hoping for at least an honest effort and a competitive match win, lose or draw,be too much to ask for, that is all I ask of TFC.

TFC07
10-05-2012, 12:23 PM

I think you should save cheers for Montreal game. That will send a better message to ML$E and Mariner. Supporters and fans cheering their main rival team over their own team at home will make headlines and catch some media attention.

Also chanting "Fire Mariner" like how Leafs fans chanted "Fire Wilson" to get Wilson fired would help our cause as well.

Suds
10-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Win, lose, at this point does it really matter? We're all but assured of taking home the wooden spoon this year. At this point, it's more about the drink, the laughs, and hanging out with the lads than it is about the football. I'm very despondent when I think about what 2013 will bring.

Everyone on the team and the FO should be made to take the wooden spoon trophy home for a week to remind them of just how crap they have been this year. Then, Anslemi should be made to keep it on his desk until TFC, Raps, Leafs, & Marlies all win Championships. (which basically means forever)

69Chevy396
10-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Everyone on the team and the FO should be made to take the wooden spoon trophy home for a week to remind them of just how crap they have been this year. Then, Anslemi should be made to keep it on his desk until TFC, Raps, Leafs, & Marlies all win Championships. (which basically means forever)

For the hundredth time, you want to send a message: DON'T GO TO THE GAME.

123 elite
10-06-2012, 07:29 AM

Yup. My seat wil be empty for the third game in a row.

OgtheDim
10-06-2012, 11:55 AM

I've yet to hear anything from this FO that indicates they would know what that message means. They are just as likely to start marketing to Soccer Moms (they've already done the Bump-It crowd this season) as against making the necessary changes to the FO.

They don't seem to know how to internalize mistakes....a trait that runs throughout the whole organization.

ag futbol
10-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Just about kickoff time, can you feel the excitement?

:sleep:

jloome
10-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Just about kickoff time, can you feel the excitement?

:sleep:

You'd think that the statistical consistency of our 65/35% loss of possession game after game would suggest to Mariner that there's a direct tactical problem. Einstein never actually said that crazy was defined as doing the same thing over again and expecting different results, but I bet he wished he did.

jloome
10-06-2012, 12:07 PM
"He's really developing into a key player in paul mariner's side,' says DeVos, as if Mariner's side has ever had a key development. Jesus. It's like they see two even teams on the field or something.

jloome
10-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Excuse time! And they haven't even started yet.

Yohan
10-06-2012, 12:11 PM
wow. hardly anyone in the crowd wearing red

OgtheDim
10-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Empty stands......

OgtheDim
10-06-2012, 12:16 PM
You know, there comes a time when the use of the word "fookin" starts to lose its motivational factor.

I've heard Mariner use it 4 times already.

ag futbol
10-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Did we leave Ashton Morgan on the bench? In favor of Emory or Hall? really?

Edit: nevermind, I see he's not available for selection today... for whatever reason. I must have missed when they mentioned this in pre-game (someone please tell me they did, as opposed to spending their entire time playing Paul Mariner Fellatio ).

jloome
10-06-2012, 12:20 PM
DC's sprints forward while we jog back. Oy.

Couchy81
10-06-2012, 12:20 PM
74 % - 26 % possession

jloome
10-06-2012, 12:22 PM

Edit: nevermind, I see he's not available for selection today... for whatever reason. I must have missed when they mentioned this in pre-game (someone please tell me they did, as opposed to spending their entire time playing Paul Mariner Fellatio ).

Apparently he trained yesterday ...but had a chest cold today.

Yohan
10-06-2012, 12:24 PM
love the positioning of 'Make Us Proud Again' sign just behind the net

jloome
10-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Wow....that was a shameful tackle from O'Dea. Can't believe he didn't get a yellow.

Yohan
10-06-2012, 12:26 PM
love Kocic's pepto bismal kit

Couchy81
10-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Wow....that was a shameful tackle from O'Dea. Can't believe he didn't get a yellow.

Lazy really.

On a positive note at least Kocic is in net.

Richard
10-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Whats the starting 11?

jloome
10-06-2012, 12:30 PM
-----kocic-----
hall--ecks--odea--emory
lambe--dunfield--maund--johnson
--------amerikwa--silva---

Yohan
10-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Kocic, Hall, Eckersley, ODea, Emory, Lambe, Maund, Dunfield, Johnson, Silva, Amarikwa

Gazza
10-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Ashton Morgan has a cold.

[NBF]
10-06-2012, 12:35 PM
-----kocic-----
hall--ecks--odea--emory
lambe--dunfield--maund--johnson
--------amerikwa--silva---

Its funny that TSN could only hype up Terry Dunfield in the promo for this game.

ag futbol
10-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Do we have a single player on the backline who can stay on the right side of there man? wow that sequence was embarrassing.

Yohan
10-06-2012, 12:39 PM
O'Dea is having a shocker of a game so far

[NBF]
10-06-2012, 12:41 PM
It would be interesting if TFC could go or at least give a 3-4-1-2 a try:

--------------kocic--------------
-------ecks---odea--emory------
Hall----dunfield---maund---Lambe
---------------silva--------------
-----amerikwa------Johnson

Richard
10-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Seriously, im not watching a single game next year if Mariner and Coch are still around. The fact they are almost for certain comming back next year is disgusting and shamefull, ive already stoped watching TFC games since after Mariners 5th game.

TFC is becoming a big waste of time, i hope for the people who go to games enjoy the comradery and friendships because TFC is going be on these kind of runs next year.

jloome
10-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Wow, you can hear everything the coaches are saying. So embarrassing.

Couchy81
10-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Wow, you can hear everything the coaches are saying. So embarrassing.

for MLSE.

ag futbol
"bring these fucking 14 year olds to ref these games" lololol

[NBF]
Hahahaha, JLOOME, can you imagine playing on the side near the bench. It must be the most annoying to hear some old cunt screaming at you. LOL, I just heard him say "c'mon you fucking cunt".

jloome
Hilarious. Ben Olsen on the sideline "I think we've got a fucking 14-year-old to ref this game."

[NBF]
10-06-2012, 12:49 PM
"bring these fucking 14 year olds to ref these games" lololol

i heard that too, it was the dc coach.

ag futbol
10-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Credit where it's due: I thought that was a penalty at first. Tripped on his own feet, haha

[NBF]
10-06-2012, 01:15 PM
"What are you doing?!", Paul Mariner, when DC player tried to throw the ball in from a favorable position

ag futbol
10-06-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm confused, the line is that players are "playing for their jobs"... but based on previous first 11 selections I can see at least 7-9 player who will without a doubt be back next year.

There is practically nobody out there playing for their job. Paul Mariner will probably blame Eric Avila for the loss, even though he won't get off the bench.

TFC07
10-06-2012, 01:25 PM
What a boring game!

Yohan
10-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Good run by Jeremy Hall. He sucks at defending, but would be an ok winger

ag futbol
10-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Holly fuck Jeremy Hall ... that is one of the worst misses I have ever seen.

Couchy81
10-06-2012, 01:30 PM
lol jeremy hall

[NBF]
10-06-2012, 01:31 PM
I'm confused, the line is that players are "playing for their jobs"... but based on previous first 11 selections I can see at least 7-9 player who will without a doubt be back next year.

There is practically nobody out there playing for their job. Paul Mariner will probably blame Eric Avila for the loss, even though he won't get off the bench.

At the beginning of the match Lee Godfrey blamed the $3 Million dollars spent on Koevermans, Frings, and DeGuzman as the reason why TFC is not performing. They didnt mention at all Hassli, or any of the transfers since the DeGuzman trade.

Who are the players with contracts running out in December?

jloome
10-06-2012, 01:34 PM
;1534276']At the beginning of the match Lee Godfrey blamed the $3 Million dollars spent on Koevermans, Frings, and DeGuzman as the reason why TFC is not performing. They didnt mention at all Hassli, or any of the transfers since the DeGuzman trade.

Who are the players with contracts running out in December?

And then DeVos compounds it in the first 10 minutes, saying that any player on the TFC bench or not playing must be considering their future in the game, because if you can't start on TFC, you can't start anywhere.... as if the choices of the guy picking the lineup have nothing to do with it.

They haven't even mentioned the black shirts; perhaps they think only DC fans attended today. Nah, that's not it. It's the complete lack of journalistic integrity. Yeah, that's it!

TFC07
10-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Sometimes it's hard not to laugh. This game is providing some great comedy for me.

jloome
10-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, the finest finisher in the.....etc etc

Yohan
10-06-2012, 01:38 PM
I see TFC finally woke up...

AlanO
10-06-2012, 01:39 PM
And Maund's totally unnecessary foul lets DC off the hook.

Yohan
10-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Maicon Santos vs Kei Kamara for shitty haircut fight

ag futbol
10-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Maicon Santos vs Kei Kamara for shitty haircut fight
I think diego fagundez could give them a run for their money in that contest.

He looks like the guy from the axe hair gel commercial who impales fish with his spikes.

Yohan
10-06-2012, 01:49 PM
I think diego fagundez could give them a run for their money in that contest.

He looks like the guy from the axe hair gel commercial who impales fish with his spikes.
Brek Shea too

ag futbol
10-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Brek Shea too
You win

Yohan
10-06-2012, 01:54 PM
oh dear. Kocic with a howler

Couchy81
10-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Kocic just ruined our season. ;)

Furtado91
This is progress....?

ag futbol
That entire play was a microcasm of why we are bad. Bad clearance, bad marking, nobody picks up the runner following the shot, whiffed save..

And I feel bad for Kocic, but he's regressing lately.

jloome
10-06-2012, 01:57 PM
That entire play was a microcasm of why we are bad. Bad clearance, bad marking, nobody picks up the runner following the shot, whiffed save..

And I feel bad for Kocic, but he's regressing lately.

Lately? He hasn't played lately. He's had two howlers this season.

jloome
10-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Wow, DC just played like total shit today, and they still win. Good lord, can this season be any worse?

Gazza
10-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Down by one. Free kick just outside the 18. 2 mins left. Who's over the ball? Terry Fricken Dunfield baby! That's who!

ag futbol
Lately? He hasn't played lately. He's had two howlers this season.
Of the games he's played most recently... you know what I'm getting at. Not a lot of howlers, but a few things where I'd question his judgement.

AdamAM
Mariner giving avila 2 minutes plus stoppage on the field. Thats disgusting, hes better than every single one of the midfielders on right now. (Silva isn't mid today)

Furtado91
10-06-2012, 02:01 PM
ladies and gentlemen, the mariner system at its finest.......

ag futbol
10-06-2012, 02:02 PM
I don't have twitter, but I am tempted so sign up just to hammer deVos and Wileman.

How many games has it been since we've won a game guys? You seem to conveniently forget that.

tfc2008
10-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Kocic made a lot of money today,Dc needed three points, Kocic give it them for a good price

jloome
10-06-2012, 02:04 PM
ladies and gentlemen, the mariner system at its finest.......

Didn't you hear his scintillating tactical approach at half-time? "It's not hard. It's simple. We play a diamond and Aaron takes care of Pontius. It's not hard."

DangerRed
10-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Looked like Pauly was going to walk over to the south end after.. hope they gave him hell.

Also, LOL at any reference to Mariner having any semblance of a "system."

Furtado91
10-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Didn't you hear his scintillating tactical approach at half-time? "It's not hard. It's simple. We play a diamond and Aaron takes care of Pontius. It's not hard."

LOL yeah it was so funny. this guy is just no one. he may have been a good player but that was a long time ago. the games changed so much. but yeah its funny to see such horrid playing. i just dont get it, mariner has beaten winters winless streak yet everyone still says give him time and we are making progress, if only people were that optimistic about winter.

69Chevy396
10-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Looked like Pauly was going to walk over to the south end after.. hope they gave him hell.

Would anybody disagree now with the statement: "....worst team in the world"?

flamehawk
10-06-2012, 02:18 PM

"Mariner had the nerve to threaten the fans in 122 and wants to meet them at the gate. #tfc (http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%23tfc) #TFCLive (http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%23TFCLive) he wouldn't say what gate. #coward (http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%23coward)"

Wow.. embarrasing for Mariner if true.. new low?

TFC07
10-06-2012, 02:24 PM
"Mariner had the nerve to threaten the fans in 122 and wants to meet them at the gate. #tfc (http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%23tfc)#TFCLive (http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%23TFCLive) he wouldn't say what gate. #coward (http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%23coward)"

Wow.. embarrasing for Mariner if true.. new low?

WTF?!

DangerRed
10-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Whoa, that's waaaaay outside the bounds if true. That he should threaten any fan, EVER, is an absolute disgrace and a fucking firing offence as far as I'm concerned.

PopePouri
10-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Not surprising. Remember the "up yours" gesture? He's not facing the Van bench when he does it. He's looking at the crowd.

DangerRed
10-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Surprise or not, in what world is it professionally acceptable for a manager of a football club to threaten even ONE of its fans and to offer to meet them at the gate afterwards? Jesus, people get ejected from BMO for so much less!

TFC07
10-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Fire Mariner and co now! This is getting way out of hand.

I hope ML$E are investigating this incident. This is a serious offence and bad PR for club and ML$E in general (this is last thing we need to deal with). I wonder if media in this city has the balls to look into this matter.

Huyton
10-06-2012, 03:01 PM
love Kocic's pepto bismal kit

I'd go with Pepto Dismal.

Auzzy
10-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Wow DC sucked badly today. Hard to believe they're 3rd in the east, I believe 2nd after this game. More points even than RSL, LA, and Seattle. It must be hard to get motivated to play vs. TFC. What a dreadfully piss-poor game. And when there were snippets of good build-up by either side, they were always punctuated by absolute howlers.

TFC of course as per usual.

I hope there's some witnesses for that Paul Mariner threat. It wasn't broadcast, was it?

brad
10-06-2012, 03:38 PM
If I'm not mistaken - I believe tha verbally threatening someone is assault. The people on the other end should get the police involved.

That would be a wonderful PR nightmare for the club and Paul.

Auzzy
10-06-2012, 03:52 PM
So from Twitter.... ;)

Apparently some fans a couple of rows behind Mariner were telling the players on the bench & on the field not to listen to Mariner; and they were telling Mariner to go buy some pants. Then Mariner told a fan to meet him outside at the gate after the game. This was around the time of the Avila substitution.

Wow, talk about putting the ass in classless.

ManUtd4ever
10-06-2012, 04:02 PM
So from Twitter.... ;)

Apparently some fans a couple of rows behind Mariner were telling the players on the bench & on the field not to listen to Mariner; and they were telling Mariner to go buy some pants. Then Mariner told a fan to meet him outside at the gate after the game. This was around the time of the Avila substitution.

If there is any truth to this, Mariner should be fired immediately.

I hope this story gets some traction in the media.

Auzzy
10-06-2012, 04:06 PM
The "Ship of Fools" banner is on the Toronto Star website with the article about the game. I hope it makes it into the print version tomorrow. Unfortunately the picture got cut off past "Cabin boy..." but a great job done!

DangerRed
10-06-2012, 04:06 PM
So from Twitter.... ;)

As I said, that is MAD out of bounds if true. Unprofessional and you could even argue it casts the game in disrepute. But the media who follow TFC aren't exactly sterling examples of investigative journalism, so I'm not expecting anything to be made of this.

No one will ask Mariner at the post-gamer, or at the next practice, "did you threaten a fan during the DCU game?"

Richard
10-06-2012, 04:07 PM
The mainstream media would be all over this if its becomes true, just imagine the shitstorm.

Richard
10-06-2012, 04:08 PM
As I said, that is MAD out of bounds if true. Unprofessional and you could even argue it casts the game in disrepute. But the media who follow TFC aren't exactly sterling examples of investigative journalism, so I'm not expecting anything to be made of this.

No one will ask Mariner at the post-gamer, or at the next practice, "did you threaten a fan during the DCU game?"

If this was in England, Mariner would be run out of the country and he knows it.

ryan
10-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Oh lawd. What else can we say? This is the future? LOL

flamehawk
10-06-2012, 04:10 PM
The mainstream media would be all over this if its becomes true, just imagine the shitstorm.

..... or not:

from Kurt Larson

"Don't believe everything you read on twitter. That's all I'll say on the matter."

"To be honest, if people yell stuff at the bench all game, I don't see much wrong with a little back and forth."

"That's where it ends with me."

Auzzy
10-06-2012, 04:14 PM
..... or not:

from Kurt Larson

"Don't believe everything you read on twitter. That's all I'll say on the matter."

"To be honest, if people yell stuff at the bench all game, I don't see much wrong with a little back and forth."

LOL. All I can say is, don't believe everything you read in an awful rag like the Sun. Especially when Larson is writing about his best buddy Mariner.

EDIT even more so when Larson is tweeting about him.

BTW even Larson thinks TFC will miss the playoffs next year: "My #TFC 2013 prediction: No playoffs, #TFC finishes 7th in East after Mariner adds a few decent pieces."
Wow, so much to look forward to!

DangerRed
10-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Don't know who this Kurt Larson guy is, or what he knows, but he sounds as professional a journalist as Mariner is a manager.

To clarify, he's saying Don't believe everything you read on Twitter to people who actually heard Mariner tell fans to meet him at the gate after the game? That's awesome. Here's a question: where was Larson sitting, that he can so definitively dismiss all these reports of Mariner threatening fans?

Voodooman
10-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Someone is actually getting into an argument with me over twitter defending mariner, saying its winters fault and he couldnt do anything....oh geez

Flipityflu
10-06-2012, 04:32 PM
its funny how reporters completely dismiss something unless they say it happened, like we are supposed to trust their sources over any other annonymous source.

JayMolly
10-06-2012, 04:33 PM

Toronto has very little media coverage when it comes to football and TFC.

Toronto newspapers and talk shows would rather talk about the hockey lockout and should the Blue Jays manager go to Boston? TFC is still playing (not very well, granted) but when the media talks about TFC it is a small blurb!

I hope the incident mentioned is true and it gets someones attention!

bman27
10-06-2012, 04:37 PM
..... or not:

from Kurt Larson

Amazing considering Kurt was all over the Houston brawl story before any facts were known at all, amazing the blind eye you will take when you are more worried about keeping your seat in the press box then covering a story

Auzzy
10-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Don't know who this Kurt Larson guy is, or what he knows, but he sounds as professional a journalist as Mariner is a manager.

To clarify, he's saying Don't believe everything you read on Twitter to people who actually heard Mariner tell fans to meet him at the gate after the game? That's awesome. Here's a question: where was Larson sitting, that he can so definitively dismiss all these reports of Mariner threatening fans?

It's funny too because Larson constantly tweets unsubstantiated crap. Like tweeting that specific Academy grads are injured and therefore aren't available for selection -- even when those players weren't listed on that game-day roster as "injured" or even "questionable."

Or tweeting that Mariner had no role in finding players under Winter, that Winter decided everything about that etc -- yet not even Mariner claims that when he's directly interviewed about it. Mariner said, "As the director of player development you can only do so much. I had no say on team selection, no say on formations and no say on anything to do with the field." That tells me Mariner DID in fact have a role in finding & signing players under Winter, as per his job description which Anselmi publicly defined. Everything else is just unsubstantiated crap. Otherwise do some half-decent work as a journalist, get some direct quotes from various people in the organization about the roles of Winter & Mariner, because this is obviously a very important question. And if people refuse to comment, then report that. Everything else is just rumours.

And with Larson, most things are brought across with an annoying know-it-all attitude, no humility even when he doesn't have a clue. When somebody was questioning Maund's horrible play, and pulling stats to prove it, Larson stated something like "don't believe everything from Opta Stats. Ohhhhkaaaayyy, don't believe anything else from Twitter, don't believe published stats, don't believe your eyes (e.g., when you watch Maund play), just believe Larson and Mariner?

glaze
10-06-2012, 04:59 PM
I bet my friend 2 bucks on the way in that mariner would be wearing shorts. Compare the two coaches on the sideline, one is dressed professionally, looks calm and in control on the sideline, and one looks like a joke. If I were a player I'd be totally tuning him out, these are grown men he's trying to coach, he doesn't appear to command much respect.

Strans
10-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Unless his football intelligence is hiding in the bottom half of his pants, I don't care what he wears, and I don't think anyone else does.

nonc
10-06-2012, 05:08 PM
And with Larson, most things are brought across with an annoying know-it-all attitude, no humility even when he doesn't have a clue. When somebody was questioning Maund's horrible play, and pulling stats to prove it, Larson stated something like "don't believe everything from Opta Stats. Ohhhhkaaaayyy, don't believe anything else from Twitter, don't believe published stats, don't believe your eyes (e.g., when you watch Maund play), just believe Larson and Mariner?

Haha. TFC management and media is like some sick Dystopia that has to be experienced to be believed. The experts of misinformation, misrepresentation, censorship, propaganda, stupidity, etc etc.

DangerRed
10-06-2012, 05:09 PM
It's funny too because Larson constantly tweets unsubstantiated crap. Like tweeting that specific Academy grads are injured and therefore aren't available for selection -- even when those players weren't listed on that game-day roster as "injured" or even "questionable."

Or tweeting that Mariner had no role in finding players under Winter, that Winter decided everything about that etc -- yet not even Mariner claims that when he's directly interviewed about it. Mariner said, "As the director of player development you can only do so much. I had no say on team selection, no say on formations and no say on anything to do with the field." That tells me Mariner DID in fact have a role in finding & signing players under Winter, as per his job description which Anselmi publicly defined. Everything else is just unsubstantiated crap. Otherwise do some half-decent work as a journalist, get some direct quotes from various people in the organization about the roles of Winter & Mariner, because this is obviously a very important question. And if people refuse to comment, then report that. Everything else is just rumours.

He also calls himself "Sun Media's leading MLS columnist/reporter" on Twitter, but that only makes sense as anything other than a bombastic brag if there are other people in the Sun Media chain who call themselves MLS columnists/reporters. Unless I'm missing something, isn't this dude the only person who writes about MLS for Sun Media? I'm half-pleading ignorance here, since I can't say I've read anything this guy has ever written after reading a few of his headlines a while ago.

sashavukelich
10-06-2012, 05:18 PM
If I'm not mistaken - I believe tha verbally threatening someone is assault. The people on the other end should get the police involved.

That would be a wonderful PR nightmare for the club and Paul.

wrong. it's utterance of threats. a different charge and difficult to prove.

There is no way PM did that...the amount of Heresay in here is INSANE.

Strans
10-06-2012, 05:20 PM

I could see it happening, but you're right. At the end of the day no one would care if Mariner got into it with the fans if the product on the field wasn't so godawful and hopeless for the indefinite future.

Strans
10-06-2012, 05:21 PM

...also hard to say anything is 'insane' in here, besides the number of crickets....

TFC_Allez
10-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Just thought I'm chime in on this one.

I was actually sitting a couple rows back from the guy who Mariner told to meet him outside at the gates. A few of the people sitting in the few rows behind the bench were chirping PM telling him he should buy some pants, play the younger Canadian kids, and yelling to the players on the bench and pitch not to listen to PM cause he doesn't know what he's talking about. I honestly didn't think anything of it after it happened. The older gentleman who Paul was referring to actually stood up and yelled back, "Which gate Paul, which gate?!" We all thought it was pretty funny at the time until it blew up on twitter.

From where I was, there was no exchange with any fans while he was walking towards the tunnel. This all happened around the time of the Avila sub. A funny aside though...after the players had made there way to the tunnel, Jimmy Brennan was walking towards the sidelines and me and a couple friends started singing "heyyyyy Jimmy Brennan, hooooo haaaa, I wanna knowwwww, how you scored that goal?!" to which he looked up at us and laughed while saying "Pfffttt I don't even know" lol

Totally classless from PM to engage a fan in that way, regardless of what chirps were sent his way! As a professional he's held to a higher standard...that standard also requires you to look the part...ie. not wearing shorts and a track jacket. But that's besides the point. I just find it funny that none of the so called "media" in the city would pursue this as a story when it's come from multiple sources. Kurt Larson, John Molinaro and even some of the goofs on Canadian Soccer News have done nothing but stay silent on his tenure as coach, while they were relentlessly criticizing Winter for the exact same futility.

In the end I know nothing will become of whatever happened. Like I said, I just found the whole thing pretty funny to be honest. And even if this is a fire-able offense, it's the easy way out. I would much rather see Mariner run out of town because he's a shitty coach, than for a few silly comments made to chirping fans during a game.

Just my 2 cents being an eye witness to the event.

Couchy81
10-06-2012, 05:26 PM
When a company has practically a monopoly on sports in a city, how can sports journalists say anything negative without being barred from all sports in the city? They'd have to move, so it's understandable when they stay silent.

denime
10-06-2012, 05:30 PM

Is it?

Explain this:

Rob Ditta ‏@RobDitta (https://twitter.com/RobDitta) @KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) Kurt I was there. Where were you? I'm putting myself out there for no gain of my own. Multiple people heard it.

Strans
10-06-2012, 05:33 PM

I was actually sitting a couple rows back from the guy who Mariner told to meet him outside at the gates. A few of the people sitting in the few rows behind the bench were chirping PM telling him he should buy some pants, play the younger Canadian kids, and yelling to the players on the bench and pitch not to listen to PM cause he doesn't know what he's talking about. I honestly didn't think anything of it after it happened. The older gentleman who Paul was referring to actually stood up and yelled back, "Which gate Paul, which gate?!" We all thought it was pretty funny at the time until it blew up on twitter.

From where I was, there was no exchange with any fans while he was walking towards the tunnel. This all happened around the time of the Avila sub. A funny aside though...after the players had made there way to the tunnel, Jimmy Brennan was walking towards the sidelines and me and a couple friends started singing "heyyyyy Jimmy Brennan, hooooo haaaa, I wanna knowwwww, how you scored that goal?!" to which he looked up at us and laughed while saying "Pfffttt I don't even know" lol

Totally classless from PM to engage a fan in that way, regardless of what chirps were sent his way! As a professional he's held to a higher standard...that standard also requires you to look the part...ie. not wearing shorts and a track jacket. But that's besides the point. I just find it funny that none of the so called "media" in the city would pursue this as a story when it's come from multiple sources. Kurt Larson, John Molinaro and even some of the goofs on Canadian Soccer News have done nothing but stay silent on his tenure as coach, while they were relentlessly criticizing Winter for the exact same futility.

In the end I know nothing will become of whatever happened. Like I said, I just found the whole thing pretty funny to be honest. And even if this is a fire-able offense, it's the easy way out. I would much rather see Mariner run out of town because he's a shitty coach, than for a few silly comments made to chirping fans during a game.

Thanks for posting this. I, for one, don't care if he gets fired for parking in a handicapped spot, I just don't want to see him on the sideline next season.

DangerRed
10-06-2012, 05:36 PM

That's ridiculous. You're pulling a Larson. "I didn't hear it, therefore it didn't happen."

Auzzy
10-06-2012, 05:38 PM
We have fans with their personal names on Twitter, and a member here on the board, stating what they directly saw & heard. So it's not just "hearsay." These journos and bloggers could probably easily find a couple of fans who are willing to be interviewed with names, if the journos cared enough to investigate. No, they just sit back & pontificate, & pretend like that the fact that Mariner is wearing shorts, is really the biggest problem for anyone. No, it looks like Mariner can't carry himself like a professional, and threatened fans after some banter -- which fits in with some other directly-reported quotes from Mariner. This team is utter unmitigated 6 years of shite, the mood is getting worse by the week -- as a coach you should be happy if somebody even shows up & cares enough to chirp you.

Personally I don't give a shit who's wearing shorts (although a general lack of professionalism is a problem). But there's bigger problems here to be investigated & reported on.

TFC_Allez
10-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Hey that's me! Normally I sit up in 111, and I did for the first half, but myself and a couple friends decided to get our money's worth and sit in the cushy seats in behind the bench. What a second half it turned out to be lol.

Every word I said is gods honest truth. I don't need any sort of publicity or additional followers on twitter...I have nothing to gain or lose by making something like this up. Like I've said, I actually just found it funny until I saw how far it went on twitter!

v00d00daddy
10-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Paul mariner needs to be fired.

Fired for a multitude of reasons.

As far as I'm concerned...anything tha gets his ass fired before next year I encourage.

Go on Paul....threaten people...act tough.

Whatever it takes.

I'd love to see Mariner and Larsson banished together.

Somebody please make it happen

Ajax TFC
10-06-2012, 05:43 PM
BTW did anyone else notice that point perfect long pass by Avila to lambe about four minutes after he came on? Absolutely ridiculous that he rots on the bench.

TFC_Allez
10-06-2012, 05:48 PM
What's even funnier about that is...while we were yelling at PM to make a sub for a change, he looked up directly at us and said "oh yeah? Who should I put in?!" We all yelled "Bring in Avila!!!" PM responded by saying "And what's he gonna do?!" while making some weird gestures...not sure what the hell he was doing or saying, but it seemed funny to everyone hahaha...2 to 3 minutes later Avila came on lol. Another funny situation.

Strans
10-06-2012, 05:53 PM
What's even funnier about that is...while we were yelling at PM to make a sub for a change, he looked up directly at us and said "oh yeah? Who should I put in?!" We all yelled "Bring in Avila!!!" PM responded by saying "And what's he gonna do?!" while making some weird gestures...not sure what the hell he was doing or saying, but it seemed funny to everyone hahaha...2 to 3 minutes later Avila came on lol. Another funny situation.

This is awesome/hilarious!

Canary10
10-06-2012, 05:54 PM
BTW did anyone else notice that point perfect long pass by Avila to lambe about four minutes after he came on? Absolutely ridiculous that he rots on the bench.

Whenever he comes on he has some influence on the game. I wish he could do it more consistently, but it makes no sense how little play he's gotten.

ag futbol
10-06-2012, 06:00 PM
its funny how reporters completely dismiss something unless they say it happened, like we are supposed to trust their sources over any other annonymous source.
Love it. " I have no evidence of anything but don't believe everything you read. Oh and if it happened, it's not a problem anyway"

He should really call it a day in terms of writing for TFC. The lack of journalistic integrity of the people covering this team is shocking.

Brooker
10-06-2012, 06:00 PM
What kinda supporters sits behind the bench to heckle our coach and players during the game? How does that help at all?

Richard
10-06-2012, 06:05 PM
What kinda supporters sits behind the bench to heckle our coach and players during the game? How does that help at all?

A kind that witnesses our coach every week be an unprofessional incomptent manager in the game of football.

TFC_Allez
10-06-2012, 06:10 PM
We weren't there specifically to heckle the coach. Like I said, I was there to get my moneys worth and test out the cushy seats in the expensive section that I could never realistically afford season tickets in. If I spoke my mind from time to time while sitting there after watching this team go winless in 12 games, lose 20 games this season, and finish in the league basement perennially, then sue me. And if the comments from a few fans were able to get under his skin so much so that he wanted to scrap it out with one of the gentlemen sitting there...it speaks volumes of the amount of professionalism this clown of a coach actually possess.

narduch
10-06-2012, 06:11 PM

For the record, TFC once again played with a shortened bench. That must be a record for a professional team.

denime
10-06-2012, 06:11 PM

The fans who actually understand this game not like clown you have for avatar

narduch
10-06-2012, 06:14 PM
TFC officially clinched the wooden spoon today.

Attendance was announced as 15,281. Had to be under 10,000. There were literally no lines at any of the concessions and I noticed that they have actually cut back on a number of the concession stands.

Ajax TFC
10-06-2012, 06:21 PM

actually it's not at all difficult to prove. If multiple people heard it and come forward and testify swearing to tell the truth, than what they say must me accepted as the truth. The likeliness of that happening isn't too high, but again, not difficult to prove. Also it's not hearsay if those who heard it say that he said it

nonc
10-06-2012, 06:22 PM

?? during is the only time you can. complacency doesn't help the fight against MLSE. do you really think our players feel heckled on the bench being told not to listen to our moronic coach, or is it more likely that they're laughing inside. if anything, Mariner is getting off light.

what kind of supporters are they? i'd say good ones, for empowering their position as the paying customer.

denime
10-06-2012, 06:49 PM

This is where Section117 story about Morgan being on a trade block as we speak is getting a bit more interesting.

For the record, TFC once again played with a shortened bench. That must be a record for a professional team.

Short bench,look at our roster today,we had 8 defenders today,players that have some skills are traded for MLS rejects,I wish our bench is short for a head coach next game.

Milos Kocic; D Jeremy Hall, D Richard Eckersley, D Darren O’Dea,D Logan Emory; Reggie Lambe, Terry Dunfield,D Aaron Maund, Ryan Johnson; Quincy Amarikwa , Luis Silva

Freddy Hall,D Doneil Henry,D Adrian Cann,D Dicoy Williams,Reject Andrew Wiedeman,skilled and gone once season is finished Eric Avila

ForeverTFC
10-06-2012, 06:51 PM
I was sitting in the section as well today.

I will say, first and foremost, NOT ONE PERSON CHIRPED ANY OF THE PLAYERS. The only words being directed at the bench were at "Paul Mariner".

The most prevalent was for him to "Play the Canadian Kids" - "Play the academy kids" - "Play the young guys"

Many also told the players to not listen to him. Funny aside - At one point Paul yelled for Reggie to track back. Reggie told Paul that he would be leaving a gap open. Mariner again told him to track back. As if on cue, Reggie tracks back and the ball is played right into the hole, which mounts to a dangerous attack. I challenge anyone to sit behind the bench for one game, and then try to defend Paul Mariner. Even the DC coach at one point told him to calm himself. (Paul wanted a throw in called back, and when it wasn't, he proceeded to throw a hissy fit by spraying his water and tossing his bottle. The guy is a side show.

Bluenose13
10-06-2012, 06:54 PM
I was pretty close to the Bench today and only heard people yelling at Mariner when he was making a change, they were yelling to put them on the field as they would do a better job......Mariner looked back and waved them to come down, unprofessional yep....but also kind of funny.

Didn't see or hear what other's are talking about.

Bluenose13
10-06-2012, 06:57 PM

I will say, first and foremost, NOT ONE PERSON CHIRPED ANY OF THE PLAYERS. The only words being directed at the bench were at "Paul Mariner".

The most prevalent was for him to "Play the Canadian Kids" - "Play the academy kids" - "Play the young guys"

Many also told the players to not listen to him. Funny aside - At one point Paul yelled for Reggie to track back. Reggie told Paul that he would be leaving a gap open. Mariner again told him to track back. As if on cue, Reggie tracks back and the ball is played right into the hole, which mounts to a dangerous attack. I challenge anyone to sit behind the bench for one game, and then try to defend Paul Mariner. Even the DC coach at one point told him to calm himself. (Paul wanted a throw in called back, and when it wasn't, he proceeded to throw a hissy fit by spraying his water and tossing his bottle. The guy is a side show.Yep he is embarrassing and unprofessional, complains like a spoiled kid about every call.

This guy cannot be in charge next year if we want to be taken seriously by anyone.

ForeverTFC
10-06-2012, 07:04 PM
That was actually a different scenario.

I yelled for Paul to use a substitution. He turned and asked me "Who do you want me to put in, I'll do it!" and I yelled for Avila. He then said, "Why? What is he going to do?" and then laughed and for some odd reason started to put his finger in his mouth - as if he was gagging.

Oddly enough, 2 minutes later, Eric was put into the game, and the section went nuts.

gomesv
10-06-2012, 07:08 PM

What kind of supporter stands by in silence while his team is being ruined by a bunch of morons........I heard the heckling and I loved every minute of it

SoccMan
10-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Well done to the people who sat behind the bench and let this clown of a coach have it, after six years of shit it's the least someone can do to let this organization know how many of us are feeling. It's a good thing I was not sitting behind the bench or anywhere near Bernie, Cochrane or Anselmi if he was even there, which I highly doubt, because I don't think I would have been on my best behavior, I will leave it at that.

TFC Cityboy
10-06-2012, 07:12 PM
TFC officially clinched the wooden spoon today.

Attendance was announced as 15,281. Had to be under 10,000. There were literally no lines at any of the concessions and I noticed that they have actually cut back on a number of the concession stands.

went for a piss at HT behind 115. No line ups. MLSE you have a problem.

Bluenose13
10-06-2012, 07:13 PM
LOL........That makes sense, I was further back than others, so good to hear from someone closer that knows exactly what was going on.

That was actually a different scenario.

I yelled for Paul to use a substitution. He turned and asked me "Who do you want me to put in, I'll do it!" and I yelled for Avila. He then said, "Why? What is he going to do?" and then laughed and for some odd reason started to put his finger in his mouth - as if he was gagging.

Oddly enough, 2 minutes later, Eric was put into the game, and the section went nuts.

Oldtimer
10-06-2012, 07:17 PM
I actually think Larson is very knowledgeable about the game, and his writing raises the profile of the sport in the nation.

What's hard to take is his constant defense of PM, all facts to the contrary.

Parkdale
10-06-2012, 07:38 PM
If Mariner flipped off some fans it wouldnt bother me - it would show that he cares enough to take it personally.

How many times did people (myself included) yell at mojo? That guy had some thick skin.

still, all things said, apathy is the worst thing that can happen to this club, be it supporters, players or coaches.

*** note - I'm not defending PM, I just would rather see a clown than a corpse running this team. Or a coach would be nice, if there was one available.

DangerRed
10-06-2012, 07:48 PM

Our coach is utter shit and our players are either unmotivated, unskilled or both. Give it a fucking rest with this my-supporter-dick-is-longer-than-yours. They all need to give their heads a shake, and heckling is part of that.

Davenport
10-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Mariner.......what a f&%$#*g clown. He looked like a homeless man who had just been shopping at Value Village for the first time.

10,000 at the game - no chance. 5,000 max. One in 4 seats was sat on. Do the math.

cmonyoureds
10-06-2012, 08:21 PM

Don't take this personal....but:
Dumbest.
Post.
Ever.

olo114
10-06-2012, 08:33 PM
What is this rumor that Morgan is on the Block, is this actually true.

I had some time to think about this game and overall what is happening with the club after the game.

What is the point of the Academy if we are not playing the players, it seems since the beginning there is reluctance by the club to use the local players that have made there way through the TFC system. I am not saying all the players where good or could of become starters but after 6 plus years the turn over in young players who TFC had is a bit worrying. My honest opinion guys like Stinson, Makubuya and Cordon will be released by the team and will be replaced by either more Academy kids or some cheap labor from wherever the Club can find it. If i was Academy player or parent i would be very concerned by this, the life span on using these young players is a couple of years then they get dumped for whatever regime is in charge new pet idea of a savor for this club .

Second to me it seems like the club still has this illusion that next season will be again see automatic renewal of the 14k, i do not see the panic which i would expect, I am not sure if there preparing some grand campaign to really renew the relationship with the fan base however what i see happening is no town halls this year and just a simple renewal process at the end of October beginning of November where some of anger for this season will pass from people.

Overall today we go unlucky during the game, we created some chances enough for the tie but again the late goals are killing us, Also why is Dunfield talking the free kicks in critical times during the game, he generally is more effective with his runs into the box instead he pretty much shot the ball at the first guy in the wall late in the game.

johnmolinaro
10-06-2012, 08:43 PM
I have already looked into this alleged incident and will continue to dig. We'll see what comes of it. If its legitimate, I'll report it.

As far as the assertion that I have "stayed silent on Mariner's tenure as coach, while relentlessly criticizing Winter for the exact same futility," I have to say that's unfair and inaccurate. Read what I have written since Paul took over. I've been very critical of his performance thus far, and am on record as saying that Mariner is more culpable and responsible for the current state of the roster that he lets on an assumes responsibility for.

John Molinaro

Parkdale
10-06-2012, 08:44 PM
What is the point of the Academy if we are not playing the players?

I honestly thought the plan was to build a solid bench, and hope that once a decade they turn out a diamond with a multi-million transfer fee that covers the cost of the program. Lille built Edan Hazard into a great footballer, who earned them a fee that will keep everyone on the selling side employed for the next decade. I figured Aron Winter sold TFC on this idea, but who knows if they have the long term view to make it work.

ensco
10-06-2012, 08:48 PM
This is where Section117 story about Morgan being on a trade block ....

I couldn't find the story you are talking about. Can you provide a link? thx

jloome
10-06-2012, 08:50 PM
I have already looked into this alleged incident and will continue to dig. We'll see what comes of it. If its legitimate, I'll report it.

As far as the assertion that I have "stayed silent on Mariner's tenure as coach, while relentlessly criticizing Winter for the exact same futility," I have to say that's unfair and inaccurate. Read what I have written since Paul took over. I've been very critical of his performance thus far, and am on record as saying that Mariner is more culpable and responsible for the current state of the roster that he lets on an assumes responsibility for.

John Molinaro

John's always done a fair job, I think.

azorean10
10-06-2012, 08:52 PM

John Molinaro

TRUTH, I heard the pregame show on the radio today where John was interviewed and he was very fair/objective....This is getting ridiculous though John, let it be told ! This team f#4&$G sucks!!! and Mariner has to take some responslbility for that, he ain't the answer, you know that, report it !

denime
10-06-2012, 08:53 PM

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?32836-Mariner-I-have-the-best-job-in-the-league/page2

The sad things is he (Mariner) doesn't have to answer to anyone. After the New York game the idiot went back home to Boston, I have never heard of a professional team having three days off after a loss especially when they are so bad. The players can't believe how he acts on the sidelines and how he calls them out after games. He is a drunk and has most of the journalists and people in the club as his drinking buddies, hence why they dont criticize him.

Frings is done he will not play for that idiot. He is not even hurt, he was just sick of the bullshit tactics. If it was up to Mariner he would get rid of the academy and get rid of all of the Canadian players except Dunfield as "he is the best box to box midfielder in the game" Morgan will be traded in the offseason as he is being shopped as we speak. We will lose our best academy prospects cause Mariner thinks they are all crap.

The FO must fire Earl for the constant screw ups and Mariner as he is lost and has no clue period. I could careless what happens to the balance of the FO as they don't really make a difference with the product on the pitch. If he stays expect a Toronto Maple Leafs fix circa the nineties sign veteran guys with the hope of squeaking into the playoffs and at the same time screwing the cap so who ever takes over will be handcuffed and it will take two or three years to get out of the mess Mariner and earl created.

olo114
10-06-2012, 09:03 PM
I think some of that foundation is that however other clubs even in|Europe have used such venues such as the league cup, the Europa league and even domestic leagues when there being regulated to play the younger players. We where out of the League really by July, what was not demonstrated was sound squad management by the club, we stuck with same set of players or throughout the season and i really believe injuries to like Frings could of been avoided if we rotated players. I really think Mariner has his fav players, the reason the short benches is because he does not want to even carry the guys he does not think are worthy of first team action.

ensco
10-06-2012, 09:07 PM
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?32836-Mariner-I-have-the-best-job-in-the-league/page2

Missed that the first time around. Thanks.

denime
10-06-2012, 09:09 PM
As far I know John you are very fair with PM assessment,it's Larson and some CSN guys who look very delusional when it comes to PM and TFC.

And please dig a bit more into this accident,it's not the 1st time,after TFC Whitecaps he already showed his class.

http://i45.tinypic.com/24447l3.jpg

John Molinaro

gomesv
10-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Might not apply here, but watching RSL vs Galaxy right now.....we are soooooooooooo far behind these teams its unbelievable and depressing to think how far we have fallen.

Section 117
10-06-2012, 09:11 PM

John Molinaro

john you are one of the few in the media that is not biased. That being said I think more critical questions need to be asked of Mariner and Cochrane. They need to justify what they have done in the past year and a half to deserve another shot. There is so much shit going on that you just need to dig. trust me.

Section 117
10-06-2012, 09:17 PM

No reporter has heard of this and if it comes I gaurentee that the FO will deny it. But I have been told my a few people that Mariner is shopping. The reason is Mariner does not rate him as a player, plus he is not one of his guys. Mariner has no clue and will ruin this club more than Mo ever did, if that is even possible. He does not rate any Canadian player outside of the best box to box midfielder and doesn't believe that any kid from the academy has the talent to make the first team

DangerRed
After today, I have decided I will not set foot in BMO Field until both of Paul Mariner and Earl Cochrane are no longer associated with the club in any way. I love this team too much and want them to succeed too much to feed the current management team, which appears to have the exact opposite attitude to mine. Feel free to measure your supporter-ness against mine, or tell me that a real supporter buys season tickets even when the owners are killing the club. It'll fall on deaf ears. (Also, mods, not spamming, but will repost this is Renewing or Not Renewing. Hope you can forgive).

Benficachop20
this morgan shit better be wrong, if we trade him im gonna lose it, but with mariner and the other morons running the club i won't be surprised.

azorean10
10-06-2012, 09:19 PM
john you are one of the few in the media that is not biased. That being said I think more critical questions need to be asked of Mariner and Cochrane. They need to justify what they have done in the past year and a half to deserve another shot. There is so much shit going on that you just need to dig. trust me.

YES ! ...Cochrane was interviewed on the pregame radio show and HONESTLY I think he was bullshitting all the way through, scouts in Eastern Europe, scouts in Central america & South America, formalized announcement soon, etc, ..WHAT BULLSHIT !

flamehawk
10-06-2012, 09:19 PM
this morgan shit better be wrong, if we trade him im gonna lose it, but with mariner and the other morons running the club i won't be surprised.

Are you fucking kidding me? Man, if this is true, Mariner has somehow managed to piss me off even more than I had ever imagined. Getting rid of one of our best prospects ever to have come out from the academy is pure stupidity.

Richard
10-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Isnt Morgan supposed to be the example product of the academy? Other young players look to players like him and see it can actually work out with the TFCA.

ensco
10-06-2012, 09:25 PM
^If they trade Morgan, it will cripple the Academy to TFC track. No top player will ever sign again.

When Morgan first got the call to dress for the first team, I saw an interview someone (maybe CBC?) did with his parents, who are both very articulate and well spoken. They were happy but cautious. They had wanted Ashtone to pursue his NCAA options, he had several good ones, because they were wary of the cut-throat professional track. But they were proud that day, and by pursuing TFC, he got to live at home, which was important to them.

Richard
10-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Trading him within MLS looks extremly bad on the organization, what type of message is it sending? I see no problem if they sell him to a European club however, other than the fact were loosing a good homegrown player.

flamehawk
10-06-2012, 09:32 PM
^If they trade Morgan, it will cripple the Academy to TFC track. No top player will ever sign again.

When Morgan first got the call to dress for the first team, I saw an interview someone (maybe CBC?) did with his parents, who are both very articulate and well spoken. They were happy but cautious. They had wanted Ashtone to pursue his NCAA options, he had several good ones, because they were wary of the cut-throat professional track. But they were proud that day, and by pursuing TFC, he got to live at home, which was important to them.

The management would be doing irreversible damage to the club. Our reputation is already rock bottom in terms of player recruitment. What chances now do we have of attracting talented youth players to our academy if people see this is how players are treated.

mar1960
10-06-2012, 09:33 PM
for the love of God i cant take any more of this shit

brad
10-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Isnt Morgan supposed to be the example product of the academy? Other young players look to players like him and see it can actually work out with the TFCA.

They will ship him out to another MLS club and it will give all the other TFCA player hope that they too can't get traded away from this disaster if they show enough potential.

brad
10-06-2012, 09:40 PM
I forget who first mentioned it - but it really does look like they are going to go for the short term sign some vets playoffs or bust mode next year.

If Mariner has his playoffs or bust ultimatum for next year it wouldn't suprise me.

azorean10
10-06-2012, 10:01 PM
I forget who first mentioned it - but it really does look like they are going to go for the short term sign some vets playoffs or bust mode next year.

If Mariner has his playoffs or bust ultimatum for next year it wouldn't suprise me.

if tried, it won't work......BLOW IT UP ! other teams actually SCOUT Central/South America!! I just don't understand the reluctance to sign any "BARGAIN" Latin american players, WTF ? !!

OgtheDim
10-06-2012, 10:06 PM

They look at Montreal and go......hmmmmmm.

Except of course people want to play in Montreal.

Who the heck wants to play here for Mariner?

denime
10-06-2012, 10:09 PM
They look at Montreal and go......hmmmmmm.

Except of course people want to play in Montreal.

Who the heck wants to play here for Mariner?

No one,not even his own players want to play for Harry Potter in the short pants.

RedsYNWA
10-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Good God

PLEASE JUST LET THE JOKE MARINER SAIL FAR AWAY PLEASE

Ajax TFC
10-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Mariner has a great record of three points in the last 12 games since our last win way back before the Liverpool friendly. Surely that's just a red herring though that's preventing us from seeing what great things Mariner is doing with this club - At least that's what the likes of de Vos, Larson, Rollins would like us to think...

denime
10-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Mariner has a great record of three points in the last 12 games since our last win way back before the Liverpool friendly. Surely that's just a red herring though that's preventing us from seeing what great things Mariner is doing with this club - At least that's what the likes of de Vos, Larson, Rollins would like us to think...

So Mariner officially has worst record than Winter,eh?

Winter 3 points in 10 games and Mariner 3 in 12,makes me wonder WTF is he still doing on the bench of TFC?

TFC07
10-06-2012, 10:45 PM

Winter 3 points in 10 games and Mariner 3 in 12,makes me wonder WTF is he still doing on the bench of TFC?

This is something media should point out. Winter was fired, but Mariner is still here. Talk about double standards, eh?

Auzzy
10-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Folks, some nice pictures in a Toronto Star photoblog. Good work guys!

http://thestar.blogs.com/photoblog/2012/10/toronto-fcs-season-in-the-bag.html

Ajax TFC
10-06-2012, 11:02 PM
This is something media should point out. Winter was fired, but Mariner is still here.
why would they do that when so many of them hated Winter and were looking for a negative about everything he did from the very beginning, and love mariner for being a traditional coach? There are an unfortunately high number of soccer reporters who hate the fact that Mariner is doing worse than their arch enemy Winter and will do everything in their power to cover that FACT up.

Talk about double standards, eh?
Yeah no kidding. Of course Tommy boy preferred to point out at the press conference that Winter was fired for only winning seven games in [however many league games he was here for] (but conveniently ignored the fact that Winter took them further than any other coach in the CCL. He didn't even say that he was going by the league record. He just acted as if Winter had only won a total of seven games in his coaching career.) So assuming they still use that kind of logic, they'll still claim that Winter wasn't fired for his 0-9 start, he was fired for his overall league record and Mariner hasn't been given enough time to prove himself in the league

AdamAM
10-06-2012, 11:05 PM
If Morgan is traded, I am done. Done with this club, done with going to games, until the entire FO is fired and Mariner is gone. This is the first time EVER TFC needs a full cleaning from top to bottom, and this is the time they are most hesitant to do this? It's RIDICULOUS I could run this club better and I'm 15 fucking years old. If they ever even seriously considered trading away one of our best players with the most potential to grow in a positive environment (Morgan)... IDEK this is just depressing to think about.

narduch
10-06-2012, 11:10 PM
Morgan may very well be on the trading block, but I doubt he missed this game because of that. Mariner has been using him whenever possible, I don't think that changed within a week's time.

As for the Academy hype, it was always over-played. Pookie did a good job a few months back exposing the Academy and training facility for what it really was (a way to get money and infrastructure from Adidas and governments).

TOBOR !
10-06-2012, 11:54 PM
I'd go with Pepto Dismal.
Nice one!

AL-MO
10-07-2012, 12:15 AM
What kind of supporter stands by in silence while his team is being ruined by a bunch of morons........I heard the heckling and I loved every minute of it

About 90% of the people in 112 and 113.

But it would be a shame if their 'Game Day Experience' was disrupted in any way.

DoubleUp
10-07-2012, 01:25 AM
If this was in England, Mariner would be run out of the country and he knows it.

Isnt that what happen!?:drinking:

DoubleUp
10-07-2012, 01:45 AM

John Molinaro

For what its worth I think your the only one that is not on the Mariner train.:grouphug:

But as far as raising awareness to the seriousness of the situation, you have been rather silent.Imo

Petor
10-07-2012, 06:26 AM
Folks, some nice pictures in a Toronto Star photoblog. Good work guys!

http://thestar.blogs.com/photoblog/2012/10/toronto-fcs-season-in-the-bag.html

Loved those pics, especially this one...

Show Tom the EXIT!!!

http://thestar.blogs.com/.a/6a00d8341bf8f353ef017d3c8c0575970c-pi

Brooker
10-07-2012, 07:33 AM

I was unaware that the only way to show displeasure for a coach was to make fun of him during a game. I've been trying the stay home approach.. but I'm sure making fun of his shorts is just as effective.

DOMIN8R
10-07-2012, 07:50 AM
Milos had the key error of the game. But the loss doesn't lie with just that one error. There were 3 TFC errors, in the run of play, that led to that goal. Both teams played poorly. Ecks was a bright spot.

madzap
10-07-2012, 07:54 AM
Paul Mariner showed his true colours once again yesterday. Over and over again he has shown nothing but contempt for the fans and supporters. His antics on the touchline are laughable. The 4th official at every match stands at the edge of the technical area of TFC and is constantly warning him about his behaviour and foul language. How he hasn't been ejected from a game for that is beyond reason.

As a people manager, he would have been fired within the first 5 minutes of his debut game. He constantly berates the coaching staff with his vulgar language as if his poor team selection was all their fault. His type is what is known as a seagull manager, he comes in, make bunch of senseless noise and shits all over everything.

Mariner's record as a football manager speaks for itself and has been covered to death.

I really didn't want yet another manager change this off-season and was initially willing to give Mariner a chance as a trade-off for stability, but after the lack of results, and more specifically, his attitude towards fans and supporters, he is a cancer that must be removed immediately.

Dave...

brad
10-07-2012, 07:55 AM

Either is contract will cost to much to cancel, or someone in the FO is concerned about the optics and how their superiors will view them if they fire him that quickly after giving him a contract extension. That's my guess.

London
10-07-2012, 08:25 AM
so there are rumours or reports that mariner challenged some fans to a fight and to meet them outside ????

if this is true the guy should be walked out the door instantly

Suds
10-07-2012, 08:48 AM
I want my money back.

tfc2008
10-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Winter was here to build a new team, but nobody in this shit city had patient.
looked now wat happened a Pm as coach gone be fired,again a new coach,again building,again the people no patient.
so in Toronto never never gone come here a playoff team.

Gazza
10-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Will someone think about the children?!

And Morgan missed the game due to a chest cold, according to De Vos. Which is pretty embarrassing (if true) for a young player that should be killing himself to prove that he's an everyday professional.

Redcoe15
10-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Loved those pics, especially this one...

Show Tom the EXIT!!!

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz74/victor_the_crab/TakeAHint-1.jpg?t=1349617221

Fixed! :thumbsup:

brad
10-07-2012, 09:51 AM
so there are rumours or reports that mariner challenged some fans to a fight and to meet them outside ????

if this is true the guy should be walked out the door instantly

Challenged to a fight might be stretching it a bit - but called people on. Read back a couple of pages in this thread for first hand accounts from people that were whims the bench and heard it first hand.

Thomas
10-07-2012, 10:16 AM
The clown is nothing but an embarrassment. This is a bad comedy now. Please go away.

Red CB Toronto
10-07-2012, 11:41 AM
I think before anything were to happen, it would have to be confirmed what exactly PM said to this person in the stands and how it was expressed, ie in a serious manner or something a little lighter, along with the lines of a cynical joke.

I had the pleasure of running into Paul before the game outside the stadium a few hours before the match, he was kind enough to sign my TFC photo I needed for my collection. In many ways while I hate to see how the Reds have performed this season, I have to commend the lads on staying positive and how they have interacted with the fans before and after each game.

Pookie
10-07-2012, 11:45 AM
I am less concerned about the alleged meet me at gate 4 comment than I am about the alleged public debate over Avila's potential contribution to game .... Within earshot of Avila and the other players. If true, this is a player's coach?

ensco
10-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Mariner's Sideshow Bob stuff would be funny if the team weren't terrible.

I think the issue is the results on the field.

10-07-2012, 12:24 PM
This.

I am less concerned about the alleged meet me at gate 4 comment than I am about the alleged public debate over Avila's potential contribution to game .... Within earshot of Avila and the other players. If true, this is a player's coach?

Exactly this.

Kyle_121
10-07-2012, 12:41 PM
I want my money back.

Someone posted on twitter that TFC should refund the 2012 season to SSH's and offer a 50% discount on 2013 tickets.

The funny thing is that MLSE could and _should_ do this and it probably wouldn't do much damage to their bottom line, but there is nobody there with enough class to actually do it.

ForeverTFC
10-07-2012, 02:09 PM

Avila was at the corner flag warming up when comment was made. He had been warming up since the second half started.

I, too, think this was a worse offense. The disrespectful nature of the comment with players in ear shot is one thing, but to see that he truly believes Avila lacks quality is indication enough that this guy has no grip on talent evaluation.

ag futbol
10-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Avila was at the corner flag warming up when comment was made. He had been warming up since the second half started.

I, too, think this was a worse offense. The disrespectful nature of the comment with players in ear shot is one thing, but to see that he truly believes Avila lacks quality is indication enough that this guy has no grip on talent evaluation.
Agreed. As for the other comment, it's always un-professional but at the same time it sounds like some people here saying it was a testy exchange but made in jest.

Bottom line for me is that he should be fired for being a poor coach and evaluator of talent, the other stuff is just icing on the cake.

TFC07
10-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Team
Nat
From
To
Record

Games

Plymouth Argyle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Argyle_F.C.)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/be/Flag_of_England.svg/22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England)
10 December 2009
6 May 2010

Toronto FC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_FC)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/cf/Flag_of_Canada.svg/22px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada)
7 June 2012
Present

Enough said.

His record is worst with TFC than it is with Plymouth Argyle (which he got fired after the season). Worthy manager to come back for next season indeed. :facepalm:

denime
10-07-2012, 03:01 PM

Many also told the players to not listen to him. Funny aside - At one point Paul yelled for Reggie to track back. Reggie told Paul that he would be leaving a gap open. Mariner again told him to track back. As if on cue, Reggie tracks back and the ball is played right into the hole, which mounts to a dangerous attack. I challenge anyone to sit behind the bench for one game, and then try to defend Paul Mariner. Even the DC coach at one point told him to calm himself. (Paul wanted a throw in called back, and when it wasn't, he proceeded to throw a hissy fit by spraying his water and tossing his bottle. The guy is a side show.

I was pretty close to the Bench today and only heard people yelling at Mariner when he was making a change, they were yelling to put them on the field as they would do a better job......Mariner looked back and waved them to come down, unprofessional yep....but also kind of funny.

Didn't see or hear what other's are talking about.

]I think before anything were to happen, it would have to be confirmed what exactly PM said to this person [/B]in the stands and how it was expressed, ie in a serious manner or something a little lighter, along with the lines of a cynical joke.

I had the pleasure of running into Paul before the game outside the stadium a few hours before the match, he was kind enough to sign my TFC photo I needed for my collection. In many ways while I hate to see how the Reds have performed this season, I have to commend the lads on staying positive and how they have interacted with the fans before and after each game.

CBLAKE

Instead of waiting for that lying clown to tell you another lie,read what persons that were there have to say.

If it comes from one fan I would say ,yeah let's wait for short pants Harry Potter to tell his side of story,but when you have 3 supporters telling you what happened and than few more on media like twitter and Facebook,do you really need cabin boy Tom to tell you his story.

FFS he told Larson that he did not see banners and two sticks in south stands because he was watching the game,I guess when his box to box ultimate player Dunfield was taking a corner kick in front of all those two sticks in the south he was watching where,what Kocic was doing on the other side.

Faster we get rid of him,better chance we have to have a team and club decent enough to have a shot on the playofss,otherwise we will be aming for TOP 10 in Confernce for years to come.

JackBauer24
10-07-2012, 05:32 PM
These results can't be too surprising considering how half our salary cap (Koevermans, Frings, Hassli, Frei, and whatever we're paying JDG) is unplayable. Keep in mind that PM's record was something like 4-4-2 before all of our key players went down or got traded.

That being said, we should still be winning some of these games (especially this one). That miss by J. Hall was horrific.

denime
10-07-2012, 05:56 PM
These results can't be too surprising considering how half our salary cap (Koevermans, Frings, Hassli, Frei, and whatever we're paying JDG) is unplayable. Keep in mind that PM's record was something like 4-4-2 before all of our key players went down or got traded.

That being said, we should still be winning some of these games (especially this one). That miss by J. Hall was horrific.

And who fault is that?

Who traded our players,who left Haslli playing even though he asked to be substituted,who made Koev running up and down when he is a target man,who called out Frings before he decided he will need arthroscopic surgery in Germany(like he can not do that here in Toronto),who is running practices were our younger players are getting constantly injured?

There is no EXCUSE than can be used to save Mariner's ass,he managed to win 3 points in last 12 games and that's the FACT,Mariner should be FIRED right after our last game vs Montreal!

Chevy
10-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Watch us go down to Mexico and beat Santos by 4. With all the absurd things that have gone on this year, can anyone really say it's not possible?

mcolvy
10-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Watch us go down to Mexico and beat Santos by 4. With all the absurd things that have gone on this year, can anyone really say it's not possible?

Hhahah. The man makes a good point..

Auzzy
10-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Or I might win the 6/49 jackpot this week. Could happen.

Pookie
10-07-2012, 06:54 PM

Not exactly the full picture. Teams we got points from early on were struggling as well. Looking at all the games under Mariner his team with at least 2 healthy DPs earned 1.1 points per game. Good enough for 37 points over a full season and not near enough for a playoff spot

The truth is old players get injured. Signing old players and then using the fact they get injured as an excuse, or even trading for an injured one and complaining he is injured, is as ridiculous as planning the 2013 season around the same old and oft injured guys.

JackBauer24
10-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Right. I'm not exactly defending Mariner, but I just wanted to point out that we're essentially playing with ~1.5 million less cap space than what we should have. I think we should limit ourselves to 1 or 2 DPs and just focus on the 100-200k guys that should be our core starting 11.

tiberius
10-07-2012, 07:27 PM
And who fault is that?

There is no EXCUSE than can be used to save Mariner's ass,he managed to win 3 points in last 12 games and that's the FACT,Mariner should be FIRED right after our last game vs Montreal!

Please - I am begging you - lets keep Mariner! Once Cochrane is canned (..er... I mean promoted) then Paul can go. In the mean time we need Paul to be the poster boy for firing Cochrane. I love Mariner right now - Long live Paul Mariner!! Paul Mariner represents all that is good at Toronto FC!!! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Ajax TFC
10-07-2012, 09:25 PM
And who fault is that?

Who traded our players,who left Haslli playing even though he asked to be substituted,who made Koev running up and down when he is a target man,who called out Frings before he decided he will need arthroscopic surgery in Germany(like he can not do that here in Toronto),who is running practices were our younger players are getting constantly injured?

lol yeah I remember when Winter went three in ten. No matter what reason you gave, (Frings being injured, Koevermans out of shape and form, players missing sitters and keepers making the saves of the week against us) the answer was "there's absolutely no excuse for going 0-9!" now when Mariner gives a worse record we get "but his players are injured!" and "but it's not his fault his players can't score" - even though under Winter it was 100% his fault when his players couldn't score because clearly that meant that he wasn't training them properly.

Rene Kingsriver
10-07-2012, 10:01 PM
lol yeah I remember when Winter went three in ten. No matter what reason you gave, (Frings being injured, Koevermans out of shape and form, players missing sitters and keepers making the saves of the week against us) the answer was "there's absolutely no excuse for going 0-9!" now when Mariner gives a worse record we get "but his players are injured!" and "but it's not his fault his players can't score" - even though under Winter it was 100% his fault when his players couldn't score because clearly that meant that he wasn't training them properly.

I want Mariner gone but ffs will you lot just stop with the "should've kept Winter" talk, Winter should never have been head coach, neither should Mariner simple as that. I know it probably hurts that one of your heroes was such a shit coach but please get over it

Alonso
10-07-2012, 10:13 PM

Yeah it's pretty bad when the coach is publicly humiliating Avila by asking the fans within earshot of the bench "what is Avila going to do!?!"

This is unprofessional beyond belief if true. How can this possibly inspire a team? And if true, I'm worried what is being said behind closed doors. Gives credibility to DeGuzman's comments about what was said to him by Mariner about rotting in the heat on a last place team.

Ajax TFC
10-07-2012, 11:10 PM
I want Mariner gone but ffs will you lot just stop with the "should've kept Winter" talk, Winter should never have been head coach, neither should Mariner simple as that. I know it probably hurts that one of your heroes was such a shit coach but please get over it
How did you get from that that I think we should have kept Winter? Please quote the sentence(s) where I say that Winter was still here

I'm not at all in the "we should have kept Winter" camp. I was actually expecting him to be gone at around 0-4/0-5. I'm pissed off at the double standard of so many people in the media who give Mariner a break because his players on his squad injured, but wouldn't even entertain that as a possibility when Winter had a horrible run. It was all about how he should be able to work with the players who are healthy.
I'm not defending Winter here, I'm saying that Mariner can't be let off the hook for a horrible record when that same excuse could have been used by his predecessor. but the same people who wouldn't listen to it then now use it to defend Mariner. COMPLETE DOUBLE STANDARD

Would you not agree that Mariner is being let off far too easily by people in the media just eating up and regurgitating every excuse he feeds them?

And for the record I have no pre-TFC attachment to Winter. His football career started before I was born and ended when I was in grade three (when I didn't even know about pro soccer)

ForeverTFC
10-08-2012, 05:00 PM
If anyone cares, another comment under Ben Knight's recent article which confirms the Mariner story.

I do sit behind toronto's bench and can tell you and everybody else exactly what happenend and can get you the people that were threatened.

We were all laughing at the display in front of goal on Saturday. That shot attempt that looked like a bad pass and every other blunder became quite comical to us. We were all shouting and saying stuff like..."hay Mariner...that's the clinical finisher you were talkin'bout?!" We were razzing and laughing at each others jokes while all realizing that we are not renewing as a collective group and making fun of how bad MLSE is as a joke product.....this went on for the entire second half.

One person decided to say to Mariner..."hey Mariner...these results are just like the results you had with Plymouth Argyle eh? Can't win there, can't win here..."
Mariner did a 180 and walked over to us, looked at the guy who said it and told him he would settle things with him at the gate! This is 100% fact. We were all beside ourselves...

jloome
10-09-2012, 11:37 AM
If anyone cares, another comment under Ben Knight's recent article which confirms the Mariner story.

[/I][/COLOR]

Remember this, from the Star on Sept. 11 -- just a month ago?

Paul Mariner bristles at the notion the games are now meaningless.
Sure, the Toronto FC head coach is aware of his club’s dead-last position in the standings. He knows mathematical elimination is coming, as early as Wednesday, from a playoff race they were never really in thanks to an 0-9 start — the worst in Major League Soccer history.
He gets that hopes of another dream run in CONCACAF Champions League faded two weeks with the conceding of a pair of late goals at home to Mexico’s Santos Laguna.
But Mariner insists everything from pride to contracts for next season is on the line as TFC returns to the pitch after an 11-day break for the last nine games of 2012.
“This is the final push for us,” Mariner told the Star ahead of Wednesday’s match at BMO Field (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/article/1255224--chicago-fire-at-toronto-fc-wednesday-mls-match-preview) against the Chicago Fire. “I want to win every single game we go into.

“There’s none of this winding down garbage. If anything, we want to ratchet it up because we don’t want to be in this position. It’s embarrassing.
“I completely understand how the fans feel. It’s up to us to put it right.”

Hell of a month. In September, he acknowledged the fans were right. So do we get a show of humility a month later and a resignation? No we get, "Marinergate".

Fort York Redcoat
10-09-2012, 12:28 PM

[/I][/COLOR]

That's a repost from our board.

__wowza
10-09-2012, 12:43 PM
I'm not defending Winter here, I'm saying that Mariner can't be let off the hook for a horrible record when that same excuse could have been used by his predecessor. but the same people who wouldn't listen to it then now use it to defend Mariner. COMPLETE DOUBLE STANDARD

Would you not agree that Mariner is being let off far too easily by people in the media just eating up and regurgitating every excuse he feeds them?

i, myself, was in the winter camp. still am, and still maintain that the most entertaining games we've had were under him.

having said that, i agree.. complete double standard. many people have made the comparisons between records when koev was out but for some reason "mariner gets shit done". not too sure why that is. if the people who're saying that mariner had a hand in player selection are correct, then technically that means that winter's record can be attributed to playing a roster that he didn't have full control over; mariner would have a share of victories, as well as losses in his tenure here. if that's the case, then mariner's season here should be equated tenfold.