PDA

View Full Version : Why I think TFC is 2 starters away from being a playoff contender

AdamAM
10-01-2012, 08:13 PM
4-3-3
Frei
Ecks Henry O'Dea Morgan
Avila *DP CM* Silva
Lambe Hassli *DP LW*

Bench
Johnson (could put him on wing if needed, though it wouldn't be ideal)
Amarikwa
Cordon
Kocic
Pasher
Camargo
Stinson

FIRE MARINER FIND A COACH WHO PLAYS 4-3-3 AND IS USED TO MLS/AMERICAN SOCCER ALA PORTLAND COACH

Sell all the deadweights like Harden Weedman Hallx2 Williams Cann Emory Dunfield etc and bring in some decent depth players to fill in their roles and then we could swap them out for the Academy players and keep the Academy players off TFC for now. I can honestly say this would be a team I would love to watch. Exciting midfield + attack. Imagine what a good DP CM and LW could do for us? D would be pretty good as well. Also once Camargo and Pasher get better this would be a team with extreeeeemeee depth. I know there are a lot of threads like this but I just feel like I should put my 2 cents in.

I also feel like this could easily be done in the off-season.

TOBOR !
10-01-2012, 08:40 PM
I thought we had an exciting team when Winter was here.

Yeoman
10-01-2012, 08:41 PM
ala portland coach?
who is this?
i'm the only one on here allowed a bromance for portland!
their coach was just as shit. all three of them this year were

Beach_Red
10-01-2012, 08:53 PM
I thought we had an exciting team when Winter was here.

It was getting better. Not as fast as the rest of the league but it wasn't falling this far behind. Exciting? Well, not as dull, I'll give you that.

Yohan
10-01-2012, 08:58 PM
4-3-3
Frei
Ecks Henry O'Dea Morgan
Avila *DP CM* Silva
Lambe Hassli *DP LW*

Bench
Amarikwa
Cordon
Kocic
Pasher
Camargo
Stinson

FIRE MARINER FIND A COACH WHO PLAYS 4-3-3 AND IS USED TO MLS/AMERICAN SOCCER ALA PORTLAND COACH

Sell all the deadweights like Harden Weedman Hallx2 Williams Cann Emory Dunfield etc and bring in some decent depth players to fill in their roles and then we could swap them out for the Academy players and keep the Academy players off TFC for now. I can honestly say this would be a team I would love to watch. Exciting midfield + attack. Imagine what a good DP CM and LW could do for us? D would be pretty good as well. Also once Camargo and Pasher get better this would be a team with extreeeeemeee depth. I know there are a lot of threads like this but I just feel like I should put my 2 cents in.

Only one of either Avila and Silva can play at AM at a time, because both of them just plain suck at defending, and you need at least one two way CM in 4-3-3.

Also, most MLS teams get killed not because their first team sucks, but not enough depth. No need for 3 DPs... Invest in solid MLS starters at 150-200k instead

ensco
10-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Joao Pinto and Paul Dickov.

Ajax TFC
10-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Only one of either Avila and Silva can play at AM at a time, because both of them just plain suck at defending, and you need at least one two way CM in 4-3-3.

While I agree that Avila and Silva shouldn't play together in a three man midfield, I disagree that Avila sucks at defending. He doesn't defend in the traditional sense of running back to the space in front of his own box and getting physical. What he does do though is get into passing lanes, and when partnered with another two way mid (*cough* JDG) he makes space small and helps to win the ball back quickly.

I don't think Silva is fit to play in the midfield in a 4-3-3 because he doesn't pressure properly, doesn't drop back far enough in the buildup, and isn't good at finding space in the midfield or making space. IMO he's much more suited to play striker or on the wing.

denime
10-01-2012, 10:04 PM
ala portland coach?
who is this?
i'm the only one on here allowed a bromance for portland!
their coach was just as shit. all three of them this year were

I think new Portland coach is former Akron Univ.coach.Akron university has produced the most US national team players and he the one who sent Toronto (Sigma Academy)player Emery Welshman to train and play for Portland U23 team during the NCAA off season.Akron played 4-3-3 under him.

http://www.portlandtimbers.com/news/2012/04/timbers-u-23s-announce-four-more-roster-additions

Since he left Akron,they went from Ranked #1 to #85.

Soccerpro
10-01-2012, 10:26 PM
You're out of your mind if you think we are two players away from being a playoff contender. It's not just our coach that's bad, our team is terrible. Just look at thebench you suggest, all academy kids.

Problem #1 - Most of our salary tied up in 3 DP's and Richard Eckersley.

DoubleUp
10-01-2012, 10:33 PM
I think we are better off in a diamond:

Ecks......Henry..OD....Morgan
...........Fitfrings/or new.........
....Newcm...................Newcm
.................Silva.................
.........Hassli.......Johnson

I am not sure who we should bring in internationally, but locally.

I would like to see kyle Porter brought in on free contract expires at the end of the month, also see if we could work a deal to get Ben Zemanski from chivas.

ag futbol
10-01-2012, 10:39 PM
4-3-3
Frei
Ecks Henry O'Dea Morgan
Avila *DP CM* Silva
Lambe Hassli *DP LW*

Bench
Amarikwa
Cordon
Kocic
Pasher
Camargo
Stinson

You know, you're probably not wrong.

They would have to be two very solid players, but that could easily provide the impetus to get this team over the hump. Add someone like Victor Bernardez or Wilman Conde at CB… someone to supplement the attack like Jairo Arrieta or Federico Higuaín, we’d be challenging for the playoffs. There’d still be holes to plug and some major WTF moments, but we’d be pushing for the last couple of playoff spots in 2013.

That being said there would still be some spots in need of a strong makeover. We don’t have one starting quality defensive midfielder on our roster. Think the CB would be a must as well, Henry will be great but the kid should be brought along slowly and not rushed into action. He can be the 3rd guy who fills in for injuries and such for the time being.

You're out of your mind if you think we are two players away from being a playoff contender. It's not just our coach that's bad, our team is terrible. Just look at thebench you suggest, all academy kids.

That was the first thing that struck my mind as well, and while I disagree with the formation and other details the OP has spelled out I think in a basic sense he's could be right.

Yohan
10-01-2012, 10:41 PM
While I agree that Avila and Silva shouldn't play together in a three man midfield, I disagree that Avila sucks at defending. He doesn't defend in the traditional sense of running back to the space in front of his own box and getting physical. What he does do though is get into passing lanes, and when partnered with another two way mid (*cough* JDG) he makes space small and helps to win the ball back quickly.

So, you're saying Avila defends like JDG? :P You need a bit of balls to be a two way CM in MLS, and Avila lacks physical strength to be an effective defender of any kind.

I don't think Silva is fit to play in the midfield in a 4-3-3 because he doesn't pressure properly, doesn't drop back far enough in the buildup, and isn't good at finding space in the midfield or making space. IMO he's much more suited to play striker or on the wing.

I think Silva is a good AM, and disagree that he sucks at finding space in the middle. Certainly isn't a winger because he looks so lost there. I think he does OK job at finding the channel, considering how many TFC chances goes through him.

DoubleUp
10-01-2012, 11:08 PM
So, you're saying Avila defends like JDG? :P You need a bit of balls to be a two way CM in MLS, and Avila lacks physical strength to be an effective defender of any kind.

I think Silva is a good AM, and disagree that he sucks at finding space in the middle. Certainly isn't a winger because he looks so lost there. I think he does OK job at finding the channel, considering how many TFC chances goes through him.

Silva is a natural 10 and his key passes in the final 3rd are unmatched in this squad.

lobo
10-01-2012, 11:48 PM
I think new Portland coach is former Akron Univ.coach.Akron university has produced the most US national team players and he the one who sent Toronto (Sigma Academy)player Emery Welshman to train and play for Portland U23 team during the NCAA off season.Akron played 4-3-3 under him.

http://www.portlandtimbers.com/news/2012/04/timbers-u-23s-announce-four-more-roster-additions

Porter has not left Akron yet. Takes over in Portland in December.

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2012/TatticaCanPortersucceedwith433inMLS.aspx
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2012/08/29/3339471/portland-timbers-hire-caleb-porter-as-head-coach

denime
10-02-2012, 05:33 AM
Porter has not left Akron yet. Takes over in Portland in December.

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2012/TatticaCanPortersucceedwith433inMLS.aspx
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2012/08/29/3339471/portland-timbers-hire-caleb-porter-as-head-coach

Thanks for update

Oldtimer
10-02-2012, 06:29 AM
TFC is just one FO away from being a playoff condender.

TOBOR !
10-02-2012, 07:42 AM
It was getting better. Not as fast as the rest of the league but it wasn't falling this far behind. Exciting? Well, not as dull, I'll give you that.

They showed flashes... and who knows where we'd be today had we stuck with it (not here, certainly).

Dreadlocks
10-02-2012, 07:57 AM
Silva is a natural 10 and his key passes in the final 3rd are unmatched in this squad and will be unmatched in the entire league with a few more years of development.

Added a bit more to your post!

narduch
10-02-2012, 08:07 AM
TFC is two players away from being top 8 in the conference.

You have to wonder how exactly TFC is going to even fill its roster for next season. You figure more than half the players won't be back. But with so few draft picks and only 6 discovery signings, how will they do it? Trades? More DPs?

Its going to take more than a few years to fix this mess, and I don't think we have the right guys to fix it.

__wowza
10-02-2012, 08:16 AM
4-3-3
Frei
Ecks Henry O'Dea Morgan
Avila *DP CM* Silva
Lambe Hassli *DP LW*

that would require us to go back to the 4-3-3, the formation we just threw out. you're right, and that's why i hate it. it's times like this that i can look at a formation like that and miss soolsma he was our equivalent of a grinder, he wasn't quick, he could be fancy, but he could also move the ball up the wing like nobodies business. he was more the speed of our aging DPs (hassli or koevs), and had so much more to him then lambe (who i honestly feel is a one trick speed pony).

you either run fast wing play, (lambe/plata/lindsay.. what the fuck happened to lindsay!?) with a target man or a big man with a good first touch (can we get peter crouch?).. or we slow it down and play controlled possession. either way, like i said, not happening. this would be too good of an idea to have this team use it.

i still maintain that winters CCL games were some of the most entertaining i've ever seen this club play. tying santos, holding our own against santos (in mexico) until the end of the first half. the LA game. the final dallas game. oh ye gods, that dallas game last season feels so far away now. don't mind me, im rambling.. :frown5:

Silva is a natural 10 and his key passes in the final 3rd are unmatched in this squad.

which is why he'll probably be trade bait instead of a player we can work around.

prizby
10-02-2012, 08:27 AM
Frei
Ecks-New CB-O'Dea-Morgan
Lambe-Silva-New CM-Plata
Johnson-New ST

who am i kidding...we can play fantasy manager all day long, in the end, whatever we want won't always happen because PM and EC have a different vision

narduch
10-02-2012, 08:29 AM
I doubt Plata will be back. I bet they make the move to Quito permanent in the off season. Probably piss the transfer fee down the drain at the same time.

Beach_Red
10-02-2012, 08:49 AM
They showed flashes... and who knows where we'd be today had we stuck with it (not here, certainly).

Oh, definitely better than where we are now. The wrong problem was addressed - player acquisition was the biggest problem then and it's only one of the biggest problems now.

There was no guarantee that TFC was ever going to get a roster good enough to compete but now it seems a lot less likely.

Ultra & Proud
10-02-2012, 08:56 AM

Eckersley is on $220k so, although it's a bit high for what he brings to the table, it's not insane either. I agree with ditching 2 of the 3 DPs at least and filling the starting XI and the top half of the bench with $150-200k players for sure.

Also still don't think playing a 4-3-3 and a 4-4-2 should make a shit of difference as long as the style of play is possession based and we have wingers who will run the flanks reliably.

narduch
10-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Eckersley is on $220k so,

Isn't he getting $390k?

Yohan
10-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Isn't he getting $390k?

guaranteed compensation. the cap hit number is somewhere between 220 to 390k. likely around 300k

TOBOR !
10-02-2012, 09:12 AM
s'funny... comments in this thread have made me think about Johann Smith (remember that guy ?).

He was a fringe player who couldn't really break into the club and was released... now it's like we have a team full of Johann Smiths.

narduch
10-02-2012, 09:16 AM
s'funny... comments in this thread have made me think about Johann Smith (remember that guy ?).

He was a fringe player who couldn't really break into the club and was released... now it's like we have a team full of Johann Smiths.

Had to go look him up. He is currently unnattached, but had a trial with NYRB recently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Smith

TOBOR !
10-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Had to go look him up. He is currently unnattached, but had a trial with NYRB recently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Smith

yeah - Mariner's probably already got an offer lined up... :facepalm:

narduch
10-02-2012, 09:20 AM
yeah - Mariner's probably already got an offer lined up... :facepalm:

Haha. TFC will probably have to trade a supplemental pick to NYRB for him.

TOBOR !
10-02-2012, 09:24 AM

nah - they'll probably get him straight up for Kocic.

Yeoman
10-02-2012, 04:45 PM

no one is dancing in portland about this guy yet is all i know. but i think they're mainly on a witch hunt about the gm anyways

denime
10-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Frei
Ecks-New CB-O'Dea-Morgan
Lambe-Silva-New CM-Plata
Johnson-New ST

who am i kidding...we can play fantasy manager all day long, in the end, whatever we want won't always happen because PM and EC have NO vision

Fixed ;)

james
10-02-2012, 05:11 PM
2 players away from a good team??? your crazy man. 2 players can not fix this mess we are in!!

trane
10-02-2012, 05:19 PM
3 Players, one in each area of the field, other then goal, and a manager. But almost any team can make the next step with one key player at each position. a CB, a CDM and a Forward, he could be a SS or a CF, then you just organize around them.

Chevy
10-02-2012, 05:40 PM

lol. I can see the press conference now...."we picked up a player with unparalleled pace and skill. The premier winger of the modern era."

cochrdoc
10-02-2012, 06:34 PM
I can`t believe guys who keep saying we should bring back players that never accomplished much at TFC.This team needs a house cleaning and bring in new management who players respect and think it is worthwhile to come to Toronto.They need to get rid of a big chunk of the line-up put some of the starters on the bench for depth.This team has to many players who struggle in this league and continue to start.Several of the new guys who came in mid season are poor quality.If the young guys can`t find time on the field release them.We need new management who can start making some good decisions.Just when you think we have hit the lowest point we go deeper.I think this team is still going down before things change.This organization has know respect from the soccer world.Less change the roster with guys who know how to win

Fort York Redcoat
10-03-2012, 07:11 AM
I can`t believe guys who keep saying we should bring back players that never accomplished much at TFC.This team needs a house cleaning and bring in new management who players respect and think it is worthwhile to come to Toronto.They need to get rid of a big chunk of the line-up put some of the starters on the bench for depth.This team has to many players who struggle in this league and continue to start.Several of the new guys who came in mid season are poor quality.If the young guys can`t find time on the field release them.We need new management who can start making some good decisions.Just when you think we have hit the lowest point we go deeper.I think this team is still going down before things change.This organization has know respect from the soccer world.Less change the roster with guys who know how to win

Could you be more vague? Who are you talking about? Use names.

Belfast_Boy
10-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Found our new coach!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-2211339/Part-time-model-Tihana-Nemcic-takes-charge-Croatian-football-team.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

narduch
10-03-2012, 08:15 AM
Found our new coach!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-2211339/Part-time-model-Tihana-Nemcic-takes-charge-Croatian-football-team.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

LOL. Maybe we can see if Adrian Cann wants to become a coach.