PDA

View Full Version : Todays News,Monday, Oct. 01

denime
10-01-2012, 05:36 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV (http://www.torontofc.ca/video)

Mariner's curious decisions (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/09/30/toronto_fc_paul_mariner_worst_season/)

Borjan rises to challenge (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2014-world-cup/2012/09/30/canada_csa_world_cup_milan_borjan/)

TFC Related Blogs !!

(http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?29582-TFC-MLS-blogs-thread)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)
(http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/09/missed-opportunities)

scooter
10-01-2012, 06:05 AM
mornin d

Fort York Redcoat
10-01-2012, 06:10 AM
A-nother save for Mi-lan!
A-nother save for Mi-lan!

Get your Canada tix to 112 for Cuba!!!

PM for details!!

Petor
10-01-2012, 06:15 AM
Morning D, and thanks for the news!

And a BIG thank you to Duncan Fletcher(first news article)!

Nerepis
10-01-2012, 06:55 AM
Right on! Fletcher's Article is an on elbow from the sky on to Mariner's head, more like this please. Run this clown out of town!

Technorgasm
10-01-2012, 07:19 AM
not surprised at all at the loss.
Not because we are so poor, but because LA is lethal in SO many positions. .
el;ectric to watch, MLS has quality alright.

TOBOR !
10-01-2012, 08:01 AM
Right on! Fletcher's Article is an on elbow from the sky on to Mariner's head, more like this please. Run this clown out of town!

Considering Fletcher has previously been somewhat a Mariner supporter, this is a welcome change.

denime
10-01-2012, 08:51 AM
not surprised at all at the loss.
Not because we are so poor, but because LA is lethal in SO many positions. .
el;ectric to watch, MLS has quality alright.

I think it was because we are so poor,not the mention coaching and tactical approach.

Greatest Ripoff
10-01-2012, 08:53 AM
What is up with this? It's a story denying that kids are leaving the academy since Mariner took over.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?3789-Investigating-a-myth

I hadn't seen anything about this but seeing as CSN has come out to deny it I guessing there is something to this story?

trane
10-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Didn't Fletcher get the memo that Andrew Wiedeman is the best finisher of the modern era??? Why would you not strat the best finisher of the modern era????

Clearly the best finisher of the modern era and the best box-to-box midfileder in the world (Dunnfield) have to start, I quess Hall is also the best goalkeeper in the MLS that a small Caribean Island which names starts with the B has produced.

This was our director of player development??? What an eye for tallent. I quess he chose not to sign Nesta because after all why sign Nesta when you have Emory.

Fort York Redcoat
10-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Didn't Fletcher get the memo that Andrew Wiedeman is the best finisher of the modern era??? Why would you not strat the best finisher of the modern era????

Clearly the best finisher of the modern era and the best box-to-box midfileder in the world (Dunnfield) have to start, I quess Hall is also the best goalkeeper in the MLS that a small Caribean Island which names starts with the B has produced.

This was our director of player development??? What an eye for tallent. I quess he chose not to sign Nesta because after all why sign Nesta when you have Emory.

You forgot to reference FIFA player of the year.

starter
10-01-2012, 09:44 AM
IMO Mariner has helped to create injury crisis himself, playing veterans well to often, chasing points after the season was over. Hassli is an example when the player asked to be subbed, but Mariner flatly ignored this only to get Hassli aggravate his injury. Also, playing Ecks over healthy Williams ( at 50K ) at cb?

narduch
10-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Hassli was already injured when he was aquired.

Perhaps they shouldn't have even made that trade? Go after a player in good health and with less of an injury history?

David_Oliveira
10-01-2012, 10:01 AM
I heard this myself. Even heard certain higher ups are preparing for life after tfc. With mariner in charge alot of people are looking else where. Studs in the academy system will be leaving this winter on trials elsewhere. Parents are pulling there kids. FACT

What is up with this? It's a story denying that kids are leaving the academy since Mariner took over.

I hadn't seen anything about this but seeing as CSN has come out to deny it I guessing there is something to this story?

starter
10-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Hassli was already injured when he was aquired.

Perhaps they shouldn't have even made that trade? Go after a player in good health and with less of an injury history?

This is an issue of outright trading clubs' future for the useless points today, a populist move to sell tickets now. Hassli played injured, and after he aggravated the injury, PM would not sub him ( out of his 'principles' ? ).

narduch
10-01-2012, 10:15 AM
This is an issue of outright trading clubs' future for the useless points today, a populist move to sell tickets now. Hassli played injured, and after he aggravated the injury, PM would not sub him ( out of his 'principles' ? ).

And we can expect more moves like this with the rumoured playoff ultimatum for next season.

ag futbol
10-01-2012, 10:26 AM

Well one things for sure, CSN didn't exactly add anything to the story with their "analysis".

He takes the academy lineup on the website today and compares it to the academy lineup at the start of the season. Doesn't confirm if the lineup on the website is up to date and only looks at one age level. When someone mentions this in the comments, the response is that it's an opportunity for people involved in the academy to reach out to him to prove otherwise. I guess the stories write themselves these days!

Ajax TFC
10-01-2012, 10:32 AM
IMO Mariner has helped to create injury crisis himself, playing veterans well to often, chasing points after the season was over. Hassli is an example when the player asked to be subbed, but Mariner flatly ignored this only to get Hassli aggravate his injury.
Not to mention his playing style which forces 30+year olds to run themselves to death game in and game out and never giving them a break. Take Danny Koef for example. His main function is to score buckets of goals, yet Mariner had him running all over the pitch, well back past the halfway line. Does anyone think that this had nothing to do with his injury?

ag futbol
10-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Not to mention his playing style which forces 30+year olds to run themselves to death game in and game out and never giving them a break. Take Danny Koef for example. His main function is to score buckets of goals, yet Mariner had him running all over the pitch, well back past the halfway line. Does anyone think that this had nothing to do with his injury?
I wouldn't go that far. The bottom line for me is that the results of one transfer window are meddling and beyond the very slight new coach bump up, nothing really changed. I think 2/3rds of a season is a fair period to evaluate someone.

trane
10-01-2012, 02:42 PM
You forgot to reference FIFA player of the year.

Yes, of course you are right, Dunfield is clearly in the running for that. ( or at least that is what Mariner tells me)

Fort York Redcoat
10-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Yes, of course you are right, Dunfield is clearly in the running for that. ( or at least that is what Mariner tells me)

Careful. If people hear you're close with Mariner they'll think you're in his pocket!

denime
10-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Mariner's curious decisions (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/09/30/toronto_fc_paul_mariner_worst_season/)

Guys Check what Duan the journalist Rolins commented it this article:

The "why isn't Mariner playing Avila" mantra ignores a key point -- Winter didn't really play him this year either.
Soolsma and Plata are vastly overrated by TFC fans. Plata isn't playing for LDQ, and the club did not choose to send him back there. His agent pulled him, largely because of the mess that it was in -- a mess Winter created.

Soolsma is no better than Lambe and had some personal issues that made him a distraction.

I don't agree with Mariner's handling of JDG, but find it a bit rich that many of the same fans that hold up mariner's handling of JDG as reason to fire Mariner asre the same people that spent 2-years screaming for JDG to be run out of town.

Mariner doesn't think Cann is smart enough to play CB. I disagree with that assessment, but he won't be back so there is little point playing him now

jloome
10-01-2012, 05:17 PM

Please, my industry is shit enough as it is. It's always been a little that way, but it's a lot that way these days. But we don't need you lumping this guy in as a journalist, as he has not even close to the requisite skill or experience. Hell, half the people in newsrooms these days shouldn't use the tag, let alone this ridiculous ass clown.

Eastend
10-01-2012, 06:03 PM

Please, my industry is shit enough as it is. It's always been a little that way, but it's a lot that way these days. But we don't need you lumping this guy in as a journalist, as he has not even close to the requisite skill or experience. Hell, half the people in newsrooms these days shouldn't use the tag, let alone this ridiculous ass clown.

I took this as sarcasm. No?

Dom

v00d00daddy
10-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Where does Rollins come up with this idea that Winter didn't play Avila.

In 9 league games (he was cup tied for CCL) Avila started 5 and was subbed on in 2 others. Unused sub 3 times.

Under Mariner he started the first 7 games after Mariner was appointed and has since played 250 minutes in the next 14 games. (about 18 minutes a game if averaged out LOL)

And Soolsma is no better than Lambe?

LOL

Riiiiiight.

ag futbol
10-01-2012, 07:24 PM

In 9 league games (he was cup tied for CCL) Avila started 5 and was subbed on in 2 others. Unused sub 3 times.

Under Mariner he started the first 7 games after Mariner was appointed and has since played 250 minutes in the next 14 games. (about 18 minutes a game if averaged out LOL)

LOL

Riiiiiight.
The guy is so sloppy in his analysis it's unbelievable. He lists out games that Avila had under winter that he didn't play, including the CCL games which Avila was cup-tied for. Not sure about injuries, but for a smaller guy like him I wouldn't be surprised if he was out for one of those other matches as well. Either way, even with the numbers he's listed it's clear that Winter used Avila a lot more than Mariner does... which runs counter to his point.

Ajax TFC
10-01-2012, 08:34 PM

LOL

Riiiiiight.
Unfortunately it's a popular "fact" that Mariner supporters like to throw around like it's true. That and the "fact" that Plata was a fringe player in the dying days of the Winter era. Completely untrue and easy to disprove by simply looking at the game sheets on TFC's website. Plata and Avila were no more fringe players under Winter than Weideman is under Mariner. Sitting out the occasional game doesn't make one a fringe player that the manager doesn't rate.

Greatest Ripoff
10-01-2012, 09:11 PM

His new responses are just embarrassing. Claiming Winter choose not pick Avila against LA and Santos Laguna to backup his argument when in fact Avila was cup tied and couldn't play in any of those matches.

And as other have said, I like to say thank you to Duncan for at least questioning some of Mariner's decisions. It's too bad every other journalist just gives him a free pass.

Ajax TFC
10-01-2012, 09:24 PM
haha Gotta love Fletcher calling out Duane on his straw man, making it about the "fact" that Winter didn't play players rather than actually addressing the quality of the players themselves.

denime
10-01-2012, 09:47 PM
His new responses are just embarrassing. Claiming Winter choose not pick Avila against LA and Santos Laguna to backup his argument when in fact Avila was cup tied and couldn't play in any of those matches.

And as other have said, I like to say thank you to Duncan for at least questioning some of Mariner's decisions. It's too bad every other journalist just gives him a free pass.

And I would like to say thank you to Duncan for replying to Duane for his stupid comments.