PDA

View Full Version : Former TFC player scores first goal in Serie A

vince93
09-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Stefanovic rifled the ball home from distance three minutes later, following good work from Alessio Cerci, and Torino made it 4-1 in the 73rd minute.

Congrats to Alen (not good enough for TFC?)

nonc
09-30-2012, 04:29 PM
you could easily see that Alen had a lot of potential, even if he didn't have much of an impact during his loan spell. congrats to him. ahh the days we'd get players on loan, never gonna happen again.

Parkdale
09-30-2012, 07:21 PM
yeah, I always thought he had a lot more potential than we were seeing at BMO (and not necessarily his fault either).

good for him.

now make a phone call for Andrea Lombardo while you're there!

Fort York Redcoat
10-01-2012, 06:24 AM
Another player brought in to improve the squad but ended up being tainted by it. I'm confident he has more to work with and thereby contribute in Torino. Good luck to him.

maninb
10-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Stefanovic rifled the ball home from distance three minutes later, following good work from Alessio Cerci, and Torino made it 4-1 in the 73rd minute.

Congrats to Alen (not good enough for TFC?)

Sure he had talent...but he didn't have the work ethic or temprament to play with players who were a little less skilled than he was used to...he'd sulk if he didn't get a pass or one of his passes was intercepted...He just didn't fit....

Chevy
10-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Sure he had talent...but he didn't have the work ethic or temprament to play with players who were a little less skilled than he was used to...he'd sulk if he didn't get a pass or one of his passes was intercepted...He just didn't fit....

Yes, our level of suck is both unpleasant and contagious.

Ajax TFC
10-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Stevanovic reminded me of playing little league hockey. There were a number of kids who also played in AAA who thought they were so good that they didn't need their teammates to tear the league apart (for the record some were good teammates as well). Some of them really were good enough to dance through and score shitloads of goals, but many of them ended up with fewer points than myself and their lines became useless because they never passed the puck, but they'd always get stoned by the other team's defense. If you were to tell them that they should pass the puck they would ask you "why, it's not like they'll do anything with it that I can't do" - That's exactly the attitude that Stevanovic came across as having when he played here.

69Chevy396
10-01-2012, 06:41 PM

"He just didn't fit". That is hilarious, and it is a typical Toronto fan response to the years of mediocrity we have been dealt with here. Good players don't like playing with crap players, so the good player doesnt fit....ever thought that the other players, you know, the crap ones, were the problem and remain the problem.

trane
10-01-2012, 06:44 PM
^ I have not followed Stevanovic in Italy closely, but from what I have seen and heard Stevanovic has also been a problem in Italy. The Italian game is a tactical team game, build on people fitting their roles, as he seems to have been failing at that, hence being sent out to Toronto.

As for Torino's talent being somewhat lower then TFC, the difference is not so big in the individual talent as much as in the way the team plays as a team, its organization. TFC is years behind from a solid top Serie B lower Serie A side then TFC. Which would make it frustrating from a player from there to play here.

MartinUtd
10-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Alen was too good for TFC, at least that's the way he carried himself. The only reason he didn't do well here is because he's an asshole.

Yohan
10-01-2012, 07:56 PM
this is totally Maicon Santos's fault

Ajax TFC
10-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Alen was too good for TFC, at least that's the way he carried himself. The only reason he didn't do well here is because he's an asshole.
Completely agree. It's way too easy to say that it's just another example of players being misused, but sometimes you have to look at the case on it's own. Dribbling the ball up to your teammate because they have space and then finally laying it off to them because you've run out of space and at the same time taken away their space is not a sign of being a good player on a bad team, it's a sign of a player thinking they're the best player on the pitch and not needing anyone else

this is totally Maicon Santos's fault
HAHAHAHAHAHA you may have a point :smilielol5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouWBqXTE93M

burlington Red
10-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Very average player, whose game is being elevated by playing with better players around him.

Brooker
10-02-2012, 10:10 AM
The wimpiest TFC player I can remember. Dive, dive, dive. Back to Italy with you.

TOBOR !
10-02-2012, 10:19 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA you may have a point :smilielol5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouWBqXTE93M

I remember that miss.

I remember shouting for Santos to PASS THE FUCKING BALL !!!!!

The fix must have been in on that game. There's no way that a player does both of a). not pass the ball to the wide open teammate and b). hopelessly miss a wide open goal, unless said player is on the take and wide open player isn't.

supersaint
10-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Very average player, whose game is being elevated by playing with better players around him.

I agree, he did not impress me.

prizby
10-02-2012, 11:57 AM
apparently manchester united were interested in signing him this past off-season

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2107873/Alen-Stevanovic-watched-Manchester-United.html

brad
10-02-2012, 12:30 PM
^^I follow United and the rumors pretty closely, Daily Mail is unreliable, and I never heard anyone in the somewhat more reliable channels mention this.

We did sign Bebe though, so even if it was true - it means little:)

Also, watched does not mean interested in signing. I would not be suprised if they watched him - clubs watch tons of players.

69Chevy396
10-02-2012, 02:01 PM
I remember that miss.

I remember shouting for Santos to PASS THE FUCKING BALL !!!!!

The fix must have been in on that game. There's no way that a player does both of a). not pass the ball to the wide open teammate and b). hopelessly miss a wide open goal, unless said player is on the take and wide open player isn't.

Who was he supposed to pass the ball to? Mats Sundin was arguably the Leafs best all round player, ever but had to endure a decade playing with bums on the wing who belonged in the American League. Passing was his game, and his critics always contend he was no good because of his lack of scoring...if he played with men and not bums his totals could have rivalled the best in the game......It seems whenver a good player comes and leaves the TFC snakepit it is always his fault, and then surprise, surprise they do better elsewhere......in any sport the common denominator is usually the worst player on the team, so what do you do with a player with the potential this guy had? Besides, none of you guys will ever know what he was told to do by the manager.....I liked him and hope like so many others does well away from this sorry mess.

brad
10-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Who was he supposed to pass the ball to?

In a lot of cases, team mate that was wide open and an easy pass. Instead he'd run with it an cough it up.

TOBOR !
10-02-2012, 02:27 PM
^ uh, yeah.. the wide open player just off to his left. The one with the tap in. The one there's no way he could not have noticed.

Ajax TFC
10-02-2012, 02:56 PM
um, a person missing their left eye with no peripheral vision in their right and had never played soccer before could have seen that pass. I'm sorry but there's no way you can excuse something like that based on their teammates not being good enough.

69Chevy396
10-02-2012, 07:56 PM
um, a person missing their left eye with no peripheral vision in their right and had never played soccer before could have seen that pass. I'm sorry but there's no way you can excuse something like that based on their teammates not being good enough.

He was what, 20 years old when he played here? Everywhere in world soccer young gifted players play this way, appearing to be hogging the ball. I remember Henry playing this way when he started now he is among the best distributers of the ball MLS has ever seen. Not saying Stevanovic is Henry, but when do you give young talented players a chance? Seems that MLSE is totally fucked up....older players are too selfish or don't score enough, so get rid of them...young players who don't score enough....get rid of them too....who the fuck do you keep? Last time I checked none of this has gone very well for Toronto, probably the single worst team in MLS history.....players such as Stevanovic should be given a chance to develop, he was miles ahead in terms of ability than any of the academy players we have now.

Yohan
10-02-2012, 07:59 PM
He was what, 20 years old when he played here? Everywhere in world soccer young gifted players play this way, appearing to be hogging the ball. I remember Henry playing this way when he started now he is among the best distributers of the ball MLS has ever seen. Not saying Stevanovic is Henry, but when do you give young talented players a chance? Seems that MLSE is totally fucked up....older players are too selfish or don't score enough, so get rid of them...young players who don't score enough....get rid of them too....who the fuck do you keep? Last time I checked none of this has gone very well for Toronto, probably the single worst team in MLS history.....players such as Stevanovic should be given a chance to develop, he was miles ahead in terms of ability than any of the academy players we have now.

Stevanovic was only on loan to TFC. I didn't think it was even a full year loan?

TOBOR !
10-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Oh. I get it now. You were talking about Stevanovic the whole time. We thought you were talking about Santos... because that's who we were complaining about... nvm.

ag futbol
10-02-2012, 09:55 PM
We’re way too traumatized by that one play. Yeah Santos screwed that up, but dear god, I think we forget what league we are in sometimes. The players kicking around MLS are not perfect and that kind of stuff happens on occasion. Wish we never traded him, he could have been a decent backup option at striker.

I saw some of Stefanovic’s play recently and he looks way more potent than he ever did for us. If I was going to take a stab at it: he never settled in but I think the poor officiating in MLS is in-part responsible for muting good attacking play out wide. Defenders are given way too much slack. If you watch an MLS game and then compare it to the EPL or even CCC, you’d be shocked. They are very heavy on the whistle by comparison and this is in a place where diving might as well be akin to sacrilege. Every week in MLS, the wide players are hacked, grabbed, obstructed and most of it goes uncalled. Obstruction especially… I think it’s almost a foreign concept to the North American official.

Yohan
10-02-2012, 10:25 PM
We’re way too traumatized by that one play. Yeah Santos screwed that up, but dear god, I think we forget what league we are in sometimes. The players kicking around MLS are not perfect and that kind of stuff happens on occasion. Wish we never traded him, he could have been a decent backup option at striker.
Santos would have been decent in Mariner's 4-4-2. It's just he sucks in a 4-3-3. Haven't scored since late May for DC, so not a big loss.

I saw some of Stefanovic’s play recently and he looks way more potent than he ever did for us. If I was going to take a stab at it: he never settled in but I think the poor officiating in MLS is in-part responsible for muting good attacking play out wide. Defenders are given way too much slack. If you watch an MLS game and then compare it to the EPL or even CCC, you’d be shocked. They are very heavy on the whistle by comparison and this is in a place where diving might as well be akin to sacrilege. Every week in MLS, the wide players are hacked, grabbed, obstructed and most of it goes uncalled. Obstruction especially… I think it’s almost a foreign concept to the North American official.
Great players adapt to their situation. Stevanovic got frustrated too easily, couldn't adapt to the league and gave up. Laurent Robert number 2

ag futbol
10-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Santos would have been decent in Mariner's 4-4-2. It's just he sucks in a 4-3-3. Haven't scored since late May for DC, so not a big loss.
Great players adapt to their situation. Stevanovic got frustrated too easily, couldn't adapt to the league and gave up. Laurent Robert number 2
He sucked in the 4-3-3 as an attacking midfielder, but I think he was ok up top. He played well off De Rosario before we broke up that partnership.

I agree, players should adapt. But at the same time I think the officiating is ridiculous.

Yohan
10-03-2012, 12:42 AM
He sucked in the 4-3-3 as an attacking midfielder, but I think he was ok up top. He played well off De Rosario before we broke up that partnership.

I agree, players should adapt. But at the same time I think the officiating is ridiculous.

He was horrid as lone striker in 4-3-3. He can't hold up the ball for shit

Ajax TFC
10-03-2012, 07:20 AM
Avila was way more suited for our possession system than Santos was. If we're going to talk about strikers we should have kept- Alan Gordon. He was way more suited to our team than Santos or Johnson

ag futbol
10-03-2012, 09:44 AM
He was horrid as lone striker in 4-3-3. He can't hold up the ball for shit
I've heard that before, obviously he's not as good as Koevermans. But in comparison to Ryan Johnson, he is way better at holding up the ball. Keeping Santos in the middle allows you to put RJ out wide in the 4-3-3 where he's more effective.

Avila was way more suited for our possession system than Santos was. If we're going to talk about strikers we should have kept- Alan Gordon. He was way more suited to our team than Santos or Johnson
I'd still take RJ over Gordon. He has a platform to score in SJ on perhaps the best team in the league, doesn't mean that's sustainable in the long run or that it'd work for TFC. He also seemed to be less than a 100% fan of Aron Winter, so I think it's almost a moot point. RJ was happy to come here, Gordon was happy to leave.

As for Avila, I think he's better than who we start on a regular basis these days, but otherwise his impact on the field leaves much to be desired IMO. Both Santos and Avila are backups on a good team because neither in terribly consistent. I like Santos more personally, but at the same time I think the difference (impact wise) on a team is comparable between the two.

brad
10-03-2012, 10:06 AM
I'd still take RJ over Gordon. He has a platform to score in SJ on perhaps the best team in the league, doesn't mean that's sustainable in the long run or that it'd work for TFC. He also seemed to be less than a 100% fan of Aron Winter, so I think it's almost a moot point. RJ was happy to come here, Gordon was happy to leave.

Gordon was annoyed that we rushed him back from injury. Also, as a perennial MLS squad player that was finding his feet as a starter, he probably wasn't overly thrilled at the idea that we signed DP in his role, which was going to limit his playing time and push him back to the squad role.

Richard
10-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Gordon was annoyed that we rushed him back from injury. Also, as a perennial MLS squad player that was finding his feet as a starter, he probably wasn't overly thrilled at the idea that we signed DP in his role, which was going to limit his playing time and push him back to the squad role.

Wasnt he the guy that said and im paraphasing here " do too much passing drills to my liking".

Yeh i dont have time for players like that.

brad
10-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Wasnt he the guy that said and im paraphasing here " do too much passing drills to my liking".

Yeh i dont have time for players like that.

I thought that was Peterson, but I could very well be wrong.

Fort York Redcoat
10-03-2012, 11:10 AM

Gordon was annoyed he had to move from the west coast. Gordon was annoyed at not enough time on the pitch. Gordon got hurt. I understand a player wanting to play. That's frustrating, but there was more than one side to the Gordon story.

(Loved the way played when healthy and glad he's doing well back home)

PopePouri
10-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Ricketts scored a goal for Tottenham.

Not good enough for TFC.

brad
10-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Ricketts hasn't exactly had a dazzling career since leaving though.

I always find cases like his fascinating though. Playing a such a high level then just dropping off completely.

DangerRed
10-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Stand by what i said when he was here: Stevanovic was the most technically skilled player to ever play for this club. The players around him were beneath him in technical skill and above him in physicality, which sometimes (definitely not always) is used to compensate for lack of technical skill (see Wynne, Marvell: who would make a great track star, but is a shit footballer).

It's a great shame Alen's gone, but it's for the best for everyone concerned, since he'd never fit in a league like this and he's thriving back in Serie A.

Yohan
10-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Stand by what i said when he was here: Stevanovic was the most technically skilled player to ever play for this club. The players around him were beneath him in technical skill and above him in physicality, which sometimes (definitely not always) is used to compensate for lack of technical skill (see Wynne, Marvell: who would make a great track star, but is a shit footballer).

It's a great shame Alen's gone, but it's for the best for everyone concerned, since he'd never fit in a league like this and he's thriving back in Serie A.Amado Guevara disagrees with you. Same with Vitti

DangerRed
10-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Amado Guevara disagrees with you. Same with Vitti

Guevara is a totally different breed of player from Stevanovic, and way less talented, I'm sorry. Vitti is a closer comparable. That kid couldn't buy a goal. I remember watching him score once, rip off his shirt in excitement, only to be yellowed by the ref because the goal was offside. Bad fuckin' luck, but he's a star now too. To me if you're bagging them in Serie A, however, you're probably doing better than where Vitti is plying his trade. If he was hot shit, he'd be in Italy too.

Toronto
10-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Guevara is a totally different breed of player from Stevanovic, and way less talented, I'm sorry. Vitti is a closer comparable. That kid couldn't buy a goal. I remember watching him score once, rip off his shirt in excitement, only to be yellowed by the ref because the goal was offside. Bad fuckin' luck, but he's a star now too. To me if you're bagging them in Serie A, however, you're probably doing better than where Vitti is plying his trade. If he was hot shit, he'd be in Italy too.

Pablo Ernesto Vitti is a star now? You're killing me. The guy was a joke. He was getting what again? 450k a year? I've seen Brazilian waiters in industrial leagues in town with a better goal sniffing sense. A star where again? I wonder where the Ecuadorian soccer press ranks our former Ernesto!

brad
10-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Pablo Ernesto Vitti is a star now? You're killing me. The guy was a joke. He was getting what again? 450k a year? I've seen Brazilian waiters in industrial leagues in town with a better goal sniffing sense. A star where again? I wonder where the Ecuadorian soccer press ranks our former Ernesto!

Since leaving us he scored 17 goals in the top Mexican league and has 10 this year in the Ecaudorian league - I'd hardly call that a joke.

Toronto
10-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Since leaving us he scored 17 goals in the top Mexican league and has 10 this year in the Ecaudorian league - I'd hardly call that a joke.

I didn't know that Club Universatario de Deportes played in Mexico. They must be the only Peruvian team doing that. I admit he did have the whole "Fabio" look about him when he was here. Maybe that was it. He had Football Hair and he was from Argentina. I doubt his Toronto fan club would have been along for the ride he was from Patterson New Jersey.

brad
10-06-2012, 09:53 PM
I didn't know that Club Universatario de Deportes played in Mexico. They must be the only Peruvian team doing that. I admit he did have the whole "Fabio" look about him when he was here. Maybe that was it. He had Football Hair and he was from Argentina. I doubt his Toronto fan club would have been along for the ride he was from Patterson New Jersey.

And I didn't know that a two second google search to see that he was on loan to Querétaro in Mexico was so difficult.

I did have my numbers wrong though he scored less than that for them.

He's also playing as an attacki g midfielder now though and not an out and out goal scorer.

Relja
10-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Hes been added to the 25 man squad for Serbian national team. the game will be against Belgium

Toronto
10-07-2012, 04:57 PM
And I didn't know that a two second google search to see that he was on loan to Querétaro in Mexico was so difficult.

I did have my numbers wrong though he scored less than that for them.

He's also playing as an attacki g midfielder now though and not an out and out goal scorer.

He's played more games on loan than he has with the team he's signed to. What does that say. Must be a cancer in the dressing room. :drum:

Toronto
10-07-2012, 04:59 PM
He's played more games on loan than he has with the team he's signed to. What does that say. Must be a cancer in the dressing room. :drum: He was shit when he was here and with 2 goals in 14 games isn't exactly superstar material.

Lennon
10-07-2012, 05:43 PM
I've always wondered if things would have gone differently for Vitti if that shot in Columbus went in the net instead of hitting the post ..

brad
10-07-2012, 07:39 PM
I wondered what Vitti would have been like in Winters team which woul have played to his stengths. Skilled player with the ball at his feet. When we was here we were playing a style very foreign to him.

Yohan
10-07-2012, 08:29 PM
He's played more games on loan than he has with the team he's signed to. What does that say. Must be a cancer in the dressing room. :drum:
I'm not sure why he's on loan at Quito, but at Universitario, he wasn't getting paid so he went on loan.

Yohan
10-07-2012, 08:31 PM
I wondered what Vitti would have been like in Winters team which woul have played to his stengths. Skilled player with the ball at his feet. When we was here we were playing a style very foreign to him.
He's like the unluckiest player ever to play for TFC. So many clever plays just to miss by inches, or that one bad offside call that just killed the guy's confidence.

I wanted him back for Winter's 4-3-3 because I think he would have done very well playing AM. Guy is so technically gifted, but so inconsistent