PDA

View Full Version : What if TFC was all Canadian or all Toronto area players?

Abou Sky
09-29-2012, 08:46 PM
I wonder how many people would be OK with losing with an all Canadian squad?

I ask because no matter how badly Canada would do I would never waiver in my support.

Just a thought...

TOBOR !
09-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Is Mariner the coach ?

DoubleUp
09-29-2012, 09:08 PM
I wonder how many people would be OK with losing with an all Canadian squad?

I ask because no matter how badly Canada would do I would never waiver in my support.

Just a thought...

if you ask me, its to canadian even down to the colour scheme.

Macksam
09-29-2012, 09:10 PM

Colour scheme is the only thing Canadian about this club.

DoubleUp
09-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Colour scheme is the only thing Canadian about this club.

Well we also employ the most, if Iam not mistaken.

I just dont like feeling like the defunct national(mainly because of the scheme) Terry dunfield and all.

Macksam
09-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Well we also employ the most, if Iam not mistaken.

I just dont like feeling like the defunct national(mainly because of the scheme) Terry dunfield and all.

Yeah, we do. However, considering 90% of them don't start, this team isn't too Canadian.

Feeling like the defunct national team? Maybe we can turn that into a positive thing like the Central Red Army, who had all the best Soviet players, during the USSR era of ice hockey.

azorean10
09-29-2012, 09:51 PM

SO TRUE ! I don't mind the odd domestic player, BUT I think TFC has tried too hard to incorporate the Canadian player...Look at Montreal, and Vancouver, and tell me how many Canadian players on those rosters?

SirBobSaget
09-29-2012, 09:58 PM
All Canadian is not realistic, but a mandate to focus on Canadian players would be nice. Signing and giving first team mins time to 'available' players like Mckenna, Ledgerwwod, Hume, Ricketts would be a giant boost to the CMNT.

If the CMNT could pull most of its squad from the Canadian MLS teams it would be a great benefit because of reduced travel and familiarity.

Macksam
09-29-2012, 10:18 PM
SO TRUE ! I don't mind the odd domestic player, BUT I think TFC has tried too hard to incorporate the Canadian player...Look at Montreal, and Vancouver, and tell me how many Canadian players on those rosters?

Again, considering most of the Canadian players on TFC don't play, I don't see how this is an issue. The ones that are playing, minus maybe Dunfield (who has improved himself of late), are not the problem players. So no, not true at all.

azorean10
09-29-2012, 10:33 PM
Again, considering most of the Canadian players on TFC don't play, I don't see how this is an issue. This is also a Canadian club. A Canadian club will tend to have Canadian players.

an argument can be made though that over their history TFC has TRIED too hard to include Canadian players on their roster(Attakora, stinson, Morgan, cann, etc ) .....Montreal and Vancouver have been more successful than TFC , Montreal has Bernier and Vancouver has no Canadian content that i can think of...????...Not against the 'Canadian player' in the least, I like Morgan, but don't force the issue, if a player is good enough, than he is is good enough regardless of passport....I agree , right now though TFC issues are not due to Canadian content , THIS TEAM JUST STINKS !

sashavukelich
09-29-2012, 11:32 PM

Vancouver has 8 Americans
1) Rochat (Swiss/Canadian)
2) Clarke
3) Teibert
4) Bryce Alderson

Montreal Canadians?? lol, they also have 11 Americans
1) Bernier
2) Sutton
3) James
4) Ouimette

TFC has 8 Americans and 9 Canadians (4 of whom are notably youth players)

London
09-30-2012, 06:04 AM
i think it would actually be worse to watch.

are there enough canadians that play at the mls level to put a whole squad out there??

i see lots that are better than mls but way more that are below mls quality.

Club Sports has ZERO to do with pride of city or country , players are mercinaries and will go to the highest bidder or the best situation in most cases

[NBF]
09-30-2012, 08:21 AM
Again, considering most of the Canadian players on TFC don't play, I don't see how this is an issue. The ones that are playing, minus maybe Dunfield (who has improved himself of late), are not the problem players. So no, not true at all.

I just wanna comment on this statement.

The Terry Dunfield improvement comes as a result of being the only available/healthy player in central midfield. Basically his improvement comes from the removal of DeGuzman, Avila, Soolsma, Frings(his effectiveness), Stinson. He's the next inline to get promoted like a fast food restaurant. He's central midfielder on the worst team in MLS, other teams know the TFC is horrendous, so they're not pilling on pressure on TFC, its basically a "mercy call". There's no reason to beat down on TFC if they have real challenges ahead. It would just make the league look bad.

What if TFC was all Canadian or Toronto area players?

I think perfectly possible considering the amount of youth players in the country. If you ignore them you basically ignoring the future. Thats not to forget loyalty towards the club that made you and the young players come at a lesser price and they would serve for great reserve players.

Perfectly possible(Even under a dumb cunt like Mariner):

--------------------------------Stamatopolous-----------------------------
----------------------------------R.Giacomi--------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attakora---------------Jakovic-----------------Hainault--------------Morgan
Bassi------------------Henry-------------------Straith---------------Pasher
Ricketts-------------Ledgerwood---------------Peters-------Nakajima-Farran
DiChiara---------------Stinson------------------Gage----------------Teibert
-----------------------Hume-------------------Friend----------------------
-----------------------Haber------------------Sodade---------------------

P.S.- One can only dream of a team as good as this.

Abou Sky
09-30-2012, 09:50 AM
i think it would actually be worse to watch.

are there enough canadians that play at the mls level to put a whole squad out there??

i see lots that are better than mls but way more that are below mls quality.

Club Sports has ZERO to do with pride of city or country , players are mercinaries and will go to the highest bidder or the best situation in most cases

Tell that to Bilbao and Jeruselum.

We could have a hell of a squad and I think I would feel a lot better with losing with Canadians than winning with 'mercenaries'

Abou Sky
09-30-2012, 09:51 AM
;1532857']I just wanna comment on this statement.

The Terry Dunfield improvement comes as a result of being the only available/healthy player in central midfield. Basically his improvement comes from the removal of DeGuzman, Avila, Soolsma, Frings(his effectiveness), Stinson. He's the next inline to get promoted like a fast food restaurant. He's central midfielder on the worst team in MLS, other teams know the TFC is horrendous, so they're not pilling on pressure on TFC, its basically a "mercy call". There's no reason to beat down on TFC if they have real challenges ahead. It would just make the league look bad.

I think perfectly possible considering the amount of youth players in the country. If you ignore them you basically ignoring the future. Thats not to forget loyalty towards the club that made you and the young players come at a lesser price and they would serve for great reserve players.

Looking at that squad just gave me a chubby...

Macksam
09-30-2012, 11:42 AM
;1532857']

I can definately see it happening 10 to 20 years down the line. Currently? Even with the decent roster listed above, the team would have to bend over backwards to pry some of those players from their current MLS clubs.

ag futbol
09-30-2012, 12:10 PM
This would be pretty damn difficult.

If we were a properly run club, you could put the emphasis on youth development and a decent number of Canadian signings… probably have a 50% Canadian roster and commit to a 100% Canadian team 10 years down the road or so. Not saying that’s the best plan, but it is a plan and probably feasible.

That being said, we are a team that has trouble tying its shoelaces, doing something like this is just beyond our reach. If the club ever came out and said that’s what they planned, I’d just hit the mute button because if history is any guide they’d just abandon the plan within two or three years.

james
09-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Celtic back in 1967 won what is now called Champions League (was Europe Cup or something back then). Every player on Celtic had to be within something like 30 miles area of Celtic Park. Which is quite impressive.

That made me think tho, imagine if clubs around the world did that. If you wanted to play for Manchest United you had to be from or close to Manchester. I wonder what clubs in England would be first place then??

nonc
09-30-2012, 03:48 PM
we do have that type of team it's called the Academy and it's next on Mariner's hit list. i'm anticipating the worst, that he'll somehow find a way to ruin the clubs relationship with Pasher.

for the record, Hume is attainable, we're dying for a midfielder though..

DoubleUp
09-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Cant we just be the most ethnic, with the cream of the Canadian crop making the grade. I find it hard to believe how a toronto team could have no Italian or Portuguese players, at all....ever.

Crazy really!

Gazza
09-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Cant we just be the most ethnic, with the cream of the Canadian crop making the grade. I find it hard to believe how a toronto team could have no Italian or Portuguese players, at all....ever.

Crazy really!

I think we should be all Irish with a legendary Italian Coach.

DoubleUp
09-30-2012, 07:01 PM
I think we should be all Irish with a legendary Italian Coach.

I think that team already exist! somewhere.

Fort York Redcoat
10-01-2012, 06:50 AM
I don't think this is a realistic goal to succeed in this league as a club or as a nation in international football.

I eventually want to see the best Canadian talent wanting to start here but progress well past MLS level quality and then come back while they can still contribute to the club side and retire here as a local hero.

We are not there yet.

Pookie
10-01-2012, 07:36 AM
On the topic of coaching, why not consider a US or Canadian coach?

If you acknowledge that this is a developmental league with over 2/3 of the roster coming from North America (by league rules), wouldn't it be helpful to have a manager that understands the psychology of the NA player? A Manager that is connected/networked with other US based clubs in order to get better insight into unsigned players, potential draftees or players being offered in trades?

As for the topic of being ok with TFC losing if the roster was stocked with Canadians... you lost me right after "Ok with TFC losing..."

Best available. Period. This is club not country.

ensco
10-01-2012, 07:49 AM
Most of this is just silly because most of those guys don't want to play in MLS until they have exhausted their shot at the dream in Europe.

What has absolutely killed us, though, is the way that we have bungled the Canadian thing in terms of what is possible in MLS. Great Canadians can and do want to play in MLS.

All of Will Johnson, Andre Hainault and Dejan Jakovic have all come into MLS as free agents (ie via discovery claims or, in the case of Johnson, by trading a bag of balls for his rights to Chicago). We could have had all of them. All you had to do was read the Voyageurs board to know that all of these guys had really good credentials to be decent MLS players.

Instead we burned a top draft pick on OBW.

Listen, this is all on Mo, it happened on his watch. But it continues, Vancouver comes in and signs Rochat, did we even know who he was?

It sure doesn't seem to me like a plan to be a destination for returning Canadians is in place.

prizby
10-01-2012, 07:24 PM
hey sky, u going to be at the academy game on Friday; i'd love to continue this conversation

jaahuuu
10-02-2012, 08:15 AM
Tell that to Bilbao and Jeruselum.

We could have a hell of a squad and I think I would feel a lot better with losing with Canadians than winning with 'mercenaries'
Teams in the Israeli Premier League are only allowed 5 foreigners, Jerusalem has 2 from Croatia and 1 from Argentina.
Bilbao hasn't won the league in almost 30 years, you'd be ok with a 3 decade championship drought if it meant using all Canadians?

QBall
10-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Teams in the Israeli Premier League are only allowed 5 foreigners, Jerusalem has 2 from Croatia and 1 from Argentina.
Bilbao hasn't won the league in almost 30 years, you'd be ok with a 3 decade championship drought if it meant using all Canadians?

We're on our fourth decade (and counting) of drought with the Leafs. Throw in the Raptors, Jays, TFC and Argos' years of futility and we're talking almost eight decades.

nfitz
10-02-2012, 02:49 PM
We're on our fourth decade (and counting) of drought with the Leafs.Half-way through your fifth decade! (personally, I hadn't immigrated to Canada back in 1967).

Belfast_Boy
10-02-2012, 03:05 PM
we'd run all the good players that expected to be paid fairly out of town.