PDA

View Full Version : Toronto should learn from Seattle...

Frings22
09-25-2012, 07:21 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/major-league-soccer/2012/09/25/3403479/sounders-gms-job-fate-sits-in-fans-hands?source=breakingnews

Imagine what would happen if we had one of these, would Mariner or Anselmi last? :P

brad
09-25-2012, 07:28 PM
No way they would last.

It's a bad idea though IMHO to give supporters that level of control. Such decisions should be made at a higher level by people that know who to run a football club - not by supporters who, despite thinking we have a clue, really know nothing about running a football club.

TFC John
09-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Americans like to vote on things even if they don't know what they're talking about. Don't forget that in a lot of places they vote on their sheriff and district attorney and aa whole bunch of other positions. The result is people who should be concerned with doing their job end up as politicians trying to keep their job. It means they can only make the popular decisions even when they should be making the hard decisions.

ensco
09-25-2012, 07:40 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/major-league-soccer/2012/09/25/3403479/sounders-gms-job-fate-sits-in-fans-hands?source=breakingnews

Imagine what would happen if we had one of these, would Mariner or Anselmi last? :P

I'm guessing you are new around here, this has been discussed maybe 8,000 times.

Short answer is, yes, wouldn't it be nice. Also if my grandmother had wheels she would be a car.

Suds
09-25-2012, 07:46 PM
No way they would last.

It's a bad idea though IMHO to give supporters that level of control. Such decisions should be made at a higher level by people that know who to run a football club - not by supporters who, despite thinking we have a clue, really know nothing about running a football club.

Considering our history, I don't think TFC SSH's could do any worse that Anselmi and crew. :)

And while I agree with your point, we are at a disadvantage as the person at the top has shown he has no friggin clue how to hire a quality soccer person or what qualities to look for in hiring someone to head the entire soccer operations of TFC. But I don't think I would want a voting on the managers job scenario at TFC.

denime
09-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Americans like to vote on things even if they don't know what they're talking about. Don't forget that in a lot of places they vote on their sheriff and district attorney and aa whole bunch of other positions. The result is people who should be concerned with doing their job end up as politicians trying to keep their job. It means they can only make the popular decisions even when they should be making the hard decisions.

What's your point,Real Madrid ,Barcelona,Bayern M.does this too,and none of them is in USA.

It's not popular decision, it's right decision if over 70% fans vote for GM to get fired,he is gone,this makes owners job easier,but let's face it owner is not going anywhere anyway.

If we had this option,Anslemi,MO,would be gone in year 3.

ryan
09-25-2012, 08:20 PM
No way they would last.

Bad idea, meanwhile Seattle has one of the best run clubs in the league. Selling out NFL stadiums. A team with fantastic (for MLS) players. A team that wins fucking games.

brad
09-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Bad idea, meanwhile Seattle has one of the best run clubs in the league. Selling out NFL stadiums. A team with fantastic (for MLS) players. A team that wins fucking games.

None if which has any bearing on voting out their GM.

Frings22
09-25-2012, 09:19 PM
My apologies, I thought 1 hour old news wasn't old. -.-

Brooker
09-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Terrible idea. Our fanbase is too reactionary.

Fort York Redcoat
09-26-2012, 06:48 AM
Vote happens every 4 years not every month.

http://www.soundersfcvote.com/

But from all accounts Adrian Hanauer will be retained.

It would be interesting to see complete turnover only every 4 years...

brad
09-26-2012, 06:54 AM
They would never implement that here - MLSE judge the success of TFC by short term financial success, not by success on the pitch. There is our fundamental problem. We would vote based on the current regime being a failure by our standards (results), but by there stadards (profits), the regime has been widely successful.

But if they did, it would be throwing darts at Earls level, not above. Anslemi is a corporate exec - high up, overseeing multiple teams. They aren't going to give our fan base that sort of control over that level.

BTW - I'm not defending the regime here - they should be replaced from top to bottom, I just think giving us the power over it would be a disaster.

Suds
09-26-2012, 07:34 AM
It would be interesting to see complete turnover only every 4 years...

You mean you don't find the yearly turnover interesting? g:D

Yeah, MLSE would never go for something like this. I don't need or want to vote either. I just want them to get their act together, hire some good qualified people, and start running an organization that represents this city in a way we can be proud of.

narduch
09-26-2012, 07:44 AM
TFC should copy what Seattle did to get Sigi Schmid.

TOBOR !
09-26-2012, 09:22 AM
I'm guessing you are new around here, this has been discussed maybe 8,000 times.

Short answer is, yes, wouldn't it be nice. Also if my grandmother had wheels she would be a car.

Poppycock.

Beach_Red
09-26-2012, 09:27 AM
TFC should copy what Seattle did to get Sigi Schmid.

Yes, this is a good idea. What did Seattle have to give up, some allocation money and a draft pick? It seems worth it.

prizby
09-26-2012, 09:40 AM
not happening here ever, my two cents; enjoy wasting your time discussing it

Yohan
09-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Yes, this is a good idea. What did Seattle have to give up, some allocation money and a draft pick? It seems worth it.

http://seattletimes.com/html/sounders/2008499274_sounders12.html

Schmid was 'out of contract', but I think Seattle deffo did some tampering

Beach_Red
09-26-2012, 10:11 AM
http://seattletimes.com/html/sounders/2008499274_sounders12.html

Schmid was 'out of contract', but I think Seattle deffo did some tampering

Seattle did send some allocation to Columbus, but like the article above said, it was kind of like an out-of-court settlement.

http://m.goal.com/s/en-us/news/1009728/

Would TFC be treated like Seattle today? A few years ago, maybe....

Yohan
09-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Seattle did send some allocation to Columbus, but like the article above said, it was kind of like an out-of-court settlement.

http://m.goal.com/s/en-us/news/1009728/

Would TFC be treated like Seattle today? A few years ago, maybe....

I don't think MLS ever had a tampering case before Sigi incident. After that, I'd bet that MLS FO had a talk with every club FOs to ensure something like this doesn't happen again, with stiff penalty for the offender.

trane
09-26-2012, 10:43 AM
No way they would last.

Maybe, but neither does MLSE. And I am not sure that it is true to say that supporters know nothing about running a football club, I agree that supporters should know less the professionals paid to run a football club, but they know something from obsereving about football for years, and clearly more then Anselmi, who has not interest in a sport, and who's sports exeprience is with a corporate entety that is not about onfield success.

C.Ronaldo
09-26-2012, 02:40 PM
You mean you don't find the yearly turnover interesting? g:D

Yeah, MLSE would never go for something like this. I don't need or want to vote either. I just want them to get their act together, hire some good qualified people, and start running an organization that represents this city in a way we can be proud of.

TFC offseason = jack in the box

DoubleUp
09-26-2012, 07:03 PM
All the different and silly polls we've had. And this does'nt have a poll?:rolleyes:

Alonso
09-27-2012, 08:01 PM
None if which has any bearing on voting out their GM.

I don't know how you can possibly say that so absolutley.

It could very well weigh on the man's decisions for the long term.

For example he might not be so eager to improve over the short term and trade away young up and comers or draft picks like TFC seems to do so williningly and on a regular basis.

BFin
09-28-2012, 12:16 PM
not happening here ever, my two cents; enjoy wasting your time discussing it

Given the frequency with which you attend community practices, I have to question whether you are the best resource to advise people on the most efficient use of their time.

james
09-28-2012, 01:54 PM
What's your point,Real Madrid ,Barcelona,Bayern M.does this too,and none of them is in USA.

It's not popular decision, it's right decision if over 70% fans vote for GM to get fired,he is gone,this makes owners job easier,but let's face it owner is not going anywhere anyway.

If we had this option,Anslemi,MO,would be gone in year 3.

was just going to mention that. This does not only happen in USA.

gate7
09-30-2012, 12:13 PM
was just going to mention that. This does not only happen in USA.

ditto, along with dozens more clubs allover Europe that do as well... seems the naysayers believe in the status quo?

Juanito
10-01-2012, 01:59 AM

Very cool find Frings22. Thank you for bringing this up.

If you're a fan of a European-based club, then most likely you're familiar with the idea of supporters voting the president. I personally like this idea because it gives a certain level of control to the supporters in the general direction the club goes. In turn the club is ingrained into the community which can be beneficial for both.

However, I'm not sure North Americans are ready for this kind of relationship. It could work, when you have a fanbase that wants to share in the club and vice-versa. The problem I see is that the ownership of most teams would not be willing to share much of anything with us. MLSE has been "spoiled" by Leafs fan and to be more specific, the incredible, unwavering support in the pocket book generated by corporate season ticket holders. How much they treat their other "assets" like the Leafs is debatable, but I do believe that they don't deviate from their philosophy on the Leafs.

Unless MLSE ties on-pitch (or on-court, or on-ice) performance to an executive's salary or performance review, then we are beat.

With all that being said, maybe TFC is ripe for this. I personally would welcome this, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Juanito
10-01-2012, 02:05 AM
Maybe, but neither does MLSE. And I am not sure that it is true to say that supporters know nothing about running a football club, I agree that supporters should know less the professionals paid to run a football club, but they know something from obsereving about football for years, and clearly more then Anselmi, who has not interest in a sport, and who's sports exeprience is with a corporate entety that is not about onfield success.

God bless you sir. Sometimes I find your posts to be a beacon in a sea of despair. Supporters having a say wouldn't be bad. It's just "a say". Having voting privileges forces a club to listen to its fanbase. We wouldn't be voting on day-to-day operations and we wouldn't be handling transfers. But what if we had "a say" in transfer policy? What if we wanted an all-Canadian squad, or we want a young squad, or we want more (or less) South Americans, or maybe we want an all-Euro squad? This would be the ideal place to voice our opinion. We can have "a say" on a lot of policies, but not directly in day-to-day activities, that is why there is a president, director, manager, scouts, etc. At least I would feel as though I am personally involved in the club, hence the term "club" as opposed to "franchise".

If this were to happen this off-season, man oh man, MLSE would hear it.