denime
09-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Lineup

Hall,
J.Hall,O’Dea, Emory, Morgan
Wiedeman, Dunfield, Maund, Amarikwa
Silva, R. Johnson

No idea what to expect,win or tie?

I don't think we will lose this game,but with Mariner's TFC everything is possible.

Joe Kool
09-23-2012, 10:29 PM
I hate to say it but I don't really care what happens. Maybe for the player's morale it would be good for TFC to get a win. Mariner's hoofball won't beat Santos in Mexico anyway.

Alonso
09-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Hoofball should work against a smaller team.

I say 2-1 for TFC.

As Kool mentioned though, it's a moot point because I don't see us beating Santos with our form of hoofball where the other team is free to walk in on goal and take 20+ shots at our goal keeper.

Oldtimer
09-24-2012, 07:06 AM
If TFC wins, we'll see Mariner apologists in the media pointing it out as a sign of "progress." That despite the fact that winning against FC Edmonton would be a bigger accomplishment.

Like d' says, though, anything is possible.

tfcleeds
09-24-2012, 07:23 AM
I just hope we manage to look like an actual football team.

denime
09-24-2012, 09:41 AM
We did beat them in our 1st game,but that result did not show real strength of CDA.

For that game CDA players arrived,with 2 different planes and half of the team was in Toronto on the game day at 2PM,the rest came around 4:30 PM,there was the question if CDA will have enough players to start the game.They actually came from airport straight to BMO,changed and of course got killed by TFC.

Tomorrow night we will see,different stronger CDA,and definitely weakened TFC lineup.

If we tie tomorrow,it will be a good result for us,unfortunately but that's the way a feel about our TFC.

sashavukelich
09-24-2012, 09:55 AM
let's take advantage of our size. Why aren't WIlliams and Cann even in consideration over Emory!??!!?!?!?

Initial B
09-24-2012, 09:56 AM
This should be a win for TFC. But if they lose, then I don't know how Mariner will be able to hold on to his job after the end of the season. At that point I think the team will have a complete mental collapse, having no faith in their own ability, and lose the remaining games of the season.

TOBOR !
09-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Let's just put a lid on this thing already.

Lose here and the rest of the season, use all the collected data to conclude we need another new administration, fire Mariner and Cochrane and bring in some new people and go back to the beginning.

DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200

Fuck it. Anything that resembles something remotely akin to 'potential' or 'rebuilding' or a 'core to build from' is only going to stall the inevitable.

In a year or two we'll be straight back here, so let's deal with it now.

bigredone
09-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Let's just put a lid on this thing already.

Lose here and the rest of the season, use all the collected data to conclude we need another new administration, fire Mariner and Cochrane and bring in some new people and go back to the beginning.

DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200

Fuck it. Anything that resembles something remotely akin to 'potential' or 'rebuilding' or a 'core to build from' is only going to stall the inevitable.

In a year or two we'll be straight back here, so let's deal with it now.

Agreed. When going through hell, keep going. I fear a huge victory today though, and a morsel of pride/hope entering some peoples veins. With so much other great football at the moment who needs this depressing shit. Man, I can't believe I said that.

narduch
09-24-2012, 10:25 AM
TFC fans don't even pay attention to CCL. A big win won't mean anything to people. MLS results will.

Besides, I see Aguila wanting revenge for the bad loss back at BMO Field.

ManUtd4ever
09-24-2012, 10:31 AM
I hate to admit it, but apathy has definitely set in for me. I stopped caring about leaque results a while ago, and the CCL has been rendered meaningless since TFC self destructed against Santos in extra time at BMO Field.

__wowza
09-24-2012, 10:32 AM
these past few post games, i just come on here and throw up some of our stats. this game is no exception..

Attempts on Goal

Shots on Target

Total Pass

89%
Passing Accuracy %
72%

63.3%
Possession
36.7%

:facepalm:

jloome
09-24-2012, 11:29 AM
let's take advantage of our size. Why aren't WIlliams and Cann even in consideration over Emory!??!!?!?!?

People rag on Cann a lot and it's true that he's not a great tackler. But he did average about six headed clearances a game before he was taken out of the starting lineup. Given that we've given up 19 free kick goals in the last 23 games, it would behoove him at least getting a chance to play. I think with O'Dea barking at him for position, he'd be better than pairing an out of place right back who can't win anything in the air.

jloome
09-24-2012, 11:33 AM
TFC fans don't even pay attention to CCL. A big win won't mean anything to people. MLS results will.

Besides, I see Aguila wanting revenge for the bad loss back at BMO Field.

Only because that loss to Santos made it almost impossible for us to go through. Prior to that, I would say the majority of posters here were far more concerned with CCL, because we had a chance. They certainly were under Winter, as he had a winning record in the tournament.

Auzzy
09-24-2012, 11:46 AM
There's a problem with Cann partnering with O'Dea, who is good, but also pretty slow. Cann is slow as well. That pair would get burnt against any fast attackers. (Might work well though against a team that doesn't attack with speed as much as slow buildup and/or crosses into the box.) I think CDA has some fast attackers, don't they? (Even though they were all pretty tired when they played at BMO.)

I think Doneil Henry would be a better partner for O'Dea. Problem is, with his recent knee injury, and then languishing on the bench, I bet he's rusty. Same goes for Dicoy Williams. Cann will be rusty as well; has he played since the Liverpool game? I wonder who we will see for the CDA game though, if Ecks has ongoing concussion symptoms. Denime probably made a good guess with Emory at CB, since Mariner seems to like him.

Pookie
09-24-2012, 11:54 AM
People rag on Cann a lot and it's true that he's not a great tackler. But he did average about six headed clearances a game before he was taken out of the starting lineup. Given that we've given up 19 free kick goals in the last 23 games, it would behoove him at least getting a chance to play. I think with O'Dea barking at him for position, he'd be better than pairing an out of place right back who can't win anything in the air.

The other good thing about playing Cann is that Eckersley slides back into his natural position, assuming his head is ok.

Surely Cann-Eckersley in their natural spots is better than Eckserley and Hall with Eckersley not able to play his comfortable position?

trane
09-24-2012, 04:44 PM
In reading this, once again, a common problem in TFC coaches, that they try to fit the players into a pre-conceived system, and do not try to play a system and if necesary adapt it further to suite the strenghs of the players you have.

Cann is big, good in the air, O'Dea is as good a defender as we have in terms of playing the position. So in light of our defensive toubles, you can play them togeher, and add a sweeper to play between them to deal with speed, or just make sure for them to stay home, and not push up, I mean there are many, many sollutions to the problem, but it seems that our managers always, select a system as if it is one of these fantasy football games and just inster players.

Ajax TFC
09-24-2012, 05:01 PM
I wonder if Mariner will take off another striker and play the fabled 4-2-4. Surely that will make us a more solid team

Hall
Maund - Eckersley - O'Dea - Morgan
Dunfield - Emory
Hall - Silva - Weideman - Johnson

iy12l
09-24-2012, 06:00 PM
I wonder if Mariner will take off another striker and play the fabled 4-2-4. Surely that will make us a more solid team

Hall
Maund - Eckersley - O'Dea - Morgan
Dunfield - Emory
Hall - Silva - Weideman - Johnson

No it will look something like this

----------F. Hall----------------
--------------------------------
Maund--J. Hall--O'Dea--Emory
---------------------------------
----------Dunce---------------
-------------------------------
------------------------------
---------------------------------
------------------------------
--Amarkwa-Silva-Weide-Johnson
--------------Harden-------------

Mariner says Jeremy Hall is one of the finest defenders in the modern era. He has skill, pace, technique, great marking, and incredible leadership qualities. I remember Mariner telling me about the amazing qualities that he sees in Ty Harden that nobody else can, not even Kurt Larson. He is converting Harden into a striker he claims his FIFA ranking has gone to 97 overnight. According to Mariner Barcelona, Madrid, Man Utd, Arsenal, and Inter Milan are in negotiations with Harden. The 2013 season is saved thanks to Mariner! Good job Anselmi! We'll definitely be in the top 10 of the eastern conference!

Fort York Redcoat
09-25-2012, 05:58 AM
^Welcome to sarcasm 101.

Looking forward to the most winnable game of the year. I'd hope that Toronto is aiming to match Santos' 4-0 final in Aguila's stadium. I doubt it likely but it should be a commanding win none the less.

maninb
09-25-2012, 07:10 AM
I can't help but feel a LOSS would somehow hasten the removal of the WORST MANAGER (POST MO) that TFC has ever had...so be it...

09-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Aguila played a big match on Sunday night. One that had significant meaning (it was on the front page of all the papers down here).

Since they're already eliminated from CCL, and with games 48 HOURS apart(!?!?!), I would think that they played their best players on Sunday night. That can't hurt our chances for tonight!

Fort York Redcoat
09-25-2012, 07:56 AM
I can't help but feel a LOSS would somehow hasten the removal of the WORST MANAGER (POST MO) that TFC has ever had...so be it...

This refrain of yours (I understand your motivation for the good of the club) seems a bit unnecessary when we still have a very hefty challenge with Santos ahead. A win here would do little to garner support.

narduch
09-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Good job by TFC, sending me an email minutes ago, telling me that the game is tomorrow.

TOBOR !
09-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Good job by TFC, sending me an email minutes ago, telling me that the game is tomorrow.

LOL - same here :

Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 09:37:04 -0400
Subject: Crucial CCL Match in El Salvador

//09.24.12

//TORONTO FC VS CD AGUILA PREVIEW

Your lads arrive in El Salvador today, ahead of tomorrow's important CCL match with CD Aguila.

Chevy
09-25-2012, 09:43 AM
I hate to admit it, but apathy has definitely set in for me. I stopped caring about leaque results a while ago, and the CCL has been rendered meaningless since TFC self destructed against Santos in extra time at BMO Field.

Unfortunately I feel the same. I didn't even realize there was a game tonight until I recieved the email from the club. It saddens me that it has come to this.

ryan
09-25-2012, 09:44 AM
LOL - same here :

They've been fucking do this for TWO FUCKING SEASONS NOW. They are certainly having a laugh at MLSE HQ.

ouderwien
09-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Thats weird though, In my phone it says Wed. glad I checked.

TOBOR !
09-25-2012, 09:58 AM
maybe they're doing it deliberately to limit the number of witnesses to this trainwreck.

Ajax TFC
09-25-2012, 10:05 AM
LOL - same here :

Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 09:37:04 -0400
Subject: Crucial CCL Match in El Salvador

//09.24.12

//TORONTO FC VS CD AGUILA PREVIEW

Your lads arrive in El Salvador today, ahead of tomorrow's important CCL match with CD Aguila.
Wait, so the team is to arrive today for today's match?!?

VoxPopuliCosmicum
09-25-2012, 10:07 AM
^^the only reasonable explanation. After all, it would be unreasonable to assume that they're so incompetent they've been unable to read a calendar for the past two years.

narduch
09-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Wait, so the team is to arrive today for today's match?!?

It looks like the email was written yesterday (so they arrived yesterday).

It just wasn't sent until today for whatever reason.

tfcmanu
09-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Roberts
J.Hall - Harden- Maund - Emory
Cordon - Avila
Wiedeman - Amarikwa - Makubuya- Stinson

narduch
09-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Roberts
Cordon - Avila

Stinson, Makabuya and Cordon probably didn't even make the trip to El Salvador with the team.

tfcleeds
09-25-2012, 10:17 AM
RobertsJ.Hall - Harden- Maund - EmoryCordon - AvilaWiedeman - Amarikwa - Makubuya- StinsonI realize this starting lineup is probably a piss-take, but saints preserve us if that ends up being our starting defensive corps...

narduch
09-25-2012, 03:19 PM
According to a comment I saw on CSN, Aguila will be missing its 4 best players as they are training with the national team.

http://www.edhdeportes.com/index.php/categoria-seleccion-de-futbol/2697-jugadores-de-aguila-ya-estan-con-la-selecta

Couchy81
09-25-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm gonna say it's an easy victory for us, 3-1.

If we lose this game, I won't go to BMO field next year at all.

Hey I like gambling.

[NBF]
09-25-2012, 06:03 PM
IMO, it will be a win for TFC, but what I wanna see is that baffoon, jumping in the air like he scored a goal in his beach shorts. I will be sitting infront of the TV and saying, "dance monkey dance". Its the only for sure thing to look forward to now.

http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2010/297/997756_20101025_embed004.jpg

sully
09-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Roberts
Cordon - Avila

That line-up would no doubt be the worst line-up in the history of Toronto FC. That team we had in our first ever game away to Chivas was pretty poor, but would beat this team I think.

Oldtimer
09-25-2012, 06:38 PM
That line-up would no doubt be the worst line-up in the history of Toronto FC. That team we had in our first ever game away to Chivas was pretty poor, but would beat this team I think. If true, that would be something of note. That infamous match included a scout and a 40 year old amateur player who was a truck driver.

v00d00daddy
09-25-2012, 08:02 PM
TorontoFCPR ‏@TorontoFCPR (https://twitter.com/TorontoFCPR)
Terry Dunfield will wear the captain's armband for @torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) tonight#TFCLive (https://twitter.com/search/?q=%23TFCLive&src=hash)

Defenders Darren O'Dea and Richard Eckersley will not dress tonight for precautionary reasons #TFCLive (https://twitter.com/search/?q=%23TFCLive&src=hash)

Exciting stuff. LOL

Suds
09-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Terry Dunfield will wear the captain's armband for @torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) tonight#TFCLive (https://twitter.com/search/?q=%23TFCLive&src=hash)

Defenders Darren O'Dea and Richard Eckersley will not dress tonight for precautionary reasons #TFCLive (https://twitter.com/search/?q=%23TFCLive&src=hash)

Exciting stuff. LOL

Well, with a couple more starters out of the line-up some other players will have their chance to step up and show if they deserve more playing time.

ryan
09-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Terry Dunfield is a leader of men. Oh lawd.

TFC Cityboy
09-25-2012, 08:48 PM
I assume Avila is fuckin Mariner's missus not to get a start.

Would love us to lose as I have wanted for all the past 4 or 5 matches so purple nose can't spin any kind of recovery. I know the club has said he's safe, but ffs if he goes 15 matches without a win his position must be untenable...shurely. What kind of club would keep that kind of loser around?
Ah yes..of course...

I'll get me coat

Suds
09-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Line Up:

F Hall; J Hall, Williams, Emory, Morgan; Lambe, Maund, Dunfield (C), Silva, Amarikwa, Johnson

Subs:

Roberts; Cann, Henry, Avila, Wiederman

ChrisFizik
09-25-2012, 08:52 PM
settling in for this....
if the board could stop whining and plotting against the FO man for 90 that'd be nice. Just want to enjoy the match (predict TFC win)

TFC07
09-25-2012, 08:55 PM
Easy win for TFC. :scarf:

daner90
09-25-2012, 08:56 PM
Looks like we will probably get a delayed start on Sportsnet 1 as the Rays-Red Sox game is still in bottom of 8...

denime
09-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Link: http://www.concacaftv.premiumtv.co.uk/page/forcelogin/WatchLiveEvent/0,,12907~765857,00.html

You need to register.it's free.

ML$E and TFC FO should take a good look at this stadium,that's how BMO Field will look like in a year or two.

5 minutes before the game,LOL

http://i45.tinypic.com/n39sva.jpg

cmonyoureds
09-25-2012, 09:01 PM
my regular stream showing the bosox game. anyone else?

nevermind.......just got the scroll update to stay tuned for the champs league.

cmonyoureds
09-25-2012, 09:03 PM
settling in for this....
if the board could stop whining and plotting against the FO man for 90 that'd be nice. Just want to enjoy the match (predict TFC win)

One mans whining is another mans statement of the truth....................

Suds
09-25-2012, 09:03 PM
my regular stream showing the bosox game. anyone else?

yeah, First Row Sports has the SportnetONE feed and the baseball game is still on

just shaking hands on the CONCACAF feed yet so you're not missing anything yet

mowe
09-25-2012, 09:05 PM
I like Williams starting, and Emory at his natural position. Although their lack of familiarity with each other will likely lead to few fuck-ups. Looking forward to this game, too bad I'll be on a plane by halftime.

cmonyoureds
09-25-2012, 09:05 PM
yeah, First Row Sports has the SportnetONE feed and the baseball game is still on

just shaking hands on the CONCACAF feed yet so you're not missing anything yet

thanks! maybe a power outage will delay it long enough................................or is that just WCQ's?

Redpunkfiddle
09-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Link: http://www.concacaftv.premiumtv.co.uk/page/forcelogin/WatchLiveEvent/0,,12907~765857,00.html

You need to register.it's free.

ML$E and TFC FO should take a good look at this stadium,that's how BMO Field will look like in a year or two.

5 minutes before the game,LOL

http://i45.tinypic.com/n39sva.jpg

Except that they are playing hundreds of kilometres away from their home city due to being moved to the capital as their stadium isn't up to standard. So they at least have a reason.

[NBF]
09-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Its the bottom of the ninth, and the score is 5-2 , that means 3 more outs.

denime
09-25-2012, 09:08 PM
MG,Will Dunfield ever learn how to control the ball with 1st touch?That ball bounce away from him like from the post.

Benficachop20
09-25-2012, 09:09 PM
a short bench, thats new....

[NBF]
09-25-2012, 09:09 PM
Whos on the bench?

Suds
09-25-2012, 09:11 PM
;1531781']Whos on the bench?

Line Up:

F Hall; J Hall, Williams, Emory, Morgan; Lambe, Maund, Dunfield (C), Silva, Amarikwa, Johnson

Subs:

[NBF]
09-25-2012, 09:14 PM
is there a delay from the internet feed and live sportsnet one feed?

notthesun
09-25-2012, 09:16 PM
lol, the CONCACAF TV announcer just pronounced it "Duncefield".

edit: "Good pace from Thompson Lam-bee"

These CONCACAF announcers are always awful, haha.

Suds
09-25-2012, 09:17 PM
lol, the CONCACAF TV announcer just pronounced it "Duncefield".

I thought it was just me who heard that. g:D

Richard
09-25-2012, 09:18 PM
What the hell does Stinson have to do to get on the bench, this i by far the weekest team were facing this year yet none of the academy players are in the linup(except Morgan).

Redpunkfiddle
"Agweeela."

Eastend
Could this be our weakest lineup EVER? Even with the opponents missing 4 key players, I'm not hopeful away in Central America.

Fom

Suds
09-25-2012, 09:22 PM
that was horrendous defending .. but glad TFC took advantage of the poor play

nice little run by Johnson in behind the defender

ag futbol
09-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Man, I can just not get excited for this game... Sad to say.

JamboAl
09-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Who's Dunfeld?

TFC Cityboy
09-25-2012, 09:24 PM
;1531783']is there a delay from the internet feed and live sportsnet one feed?

S/net is about 8 minutes behind TFC's twitterfeed (live)

notthesun
09-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Someone please tell this guy how to pronounce Lambe's name. How do you even get Thompson from Reggie...

Goal was pretty meh.

TFC Cityboy
09-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Man, I can just not get excited for this game... Sad to say.

can't recall the last TFC match I gave a shit about

Redpunkfiddle
09-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Someone please tell this guy how to pronounce Lambe's name. How do you even get Thompson from Reggie...

Goal was pretty meh.

His full name is Reggie Thompson-Lambe.

DaBandit
Line Up:

Subs:

surely you jest, in such a big game how could we not be starting 'one of the best finishers in the modern era'.. Oh got it, we're saving him for the Santos game.. Lol

ag futbol
Yay?

Eastend
Yeah!

Yohan
09-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Amarikwa with a nice header on tight angle.

Massive props to those three TFC supporters making the trip

JusTrollinBy
09-25-2012, 09:33 PM
First time post here... SSH since day 1... couple of things...

Does smashing the ball off your teammate's body or shins count as a "completed pass"?

And, did I hear the commentator call Mariner a "Legend" of some sort?!

Thanks!

v00d00daddy
09-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Nice to be up a goal.

Aguila should not even be considered a pro team. Awful is a compliment for them.

I don't understand how Avila can't get a start. If he wasn't going to play why wouldn't they have tried to get something for him in a trade. I'd imagine there are a few teams that could use him.

It'll be interesting to hear from him in the off season because its quite obvious that he won't be back.

notthesun
09-25-2012, 09:35 PM
His full name is Reggie Thompson-Lambe.

Ah, well that makes some sense at least then.

Players better go over to those TFC fans after the game.

nlsanand
09-25-2012, 09:36 PM
^Welcome to sarcasm 101.

Looking forward to the most winnable game of the year. I'd hope that Toronto is aiming to match Santos' 4-0 final in Aguila's stadium. I doubt it likely but it should be a commanding win none the less.

If we win by 7 goals, we very slightly improve our chances against Santos (we advance with a 3-1 win then).

Yohan
09-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Ah, well that makes some sense at least then.

Players better go over to those TFC fans after the game.
LOL Those three guys belting out the Dichio song

Benficachop20
09-25-2012, 09:38 PM
wat a shot by maund....

Eastend
09-25-2012, 09:41 PM
I guess the armband has given Dunfield even more confidence and the authority to be even more lazy with his passes?

Yohan
TFC making some ridiculous 50yrd passes... this isn't the TFC I know. Hardly any hoofball either

JusTrollinBy
Nice to be up a goal.

Aguila should not even be considered a pro team. Awful is a compliment for them.

I don't understand how Avila can't get a start. If he wasn't going to play why wouldn't they have tried to get something for him in a trade. I'd imagine there are a few teams that could use him.

It'll be interesting to hear from him in the off season because its quite obvious that he won't be back.

This is perhaps due to Avila lacking in "punting" skills.

TOBOR !
09-25-2012, 09:43 PM
First time post here... SSH since day 1... couple of things...

Does smashing the ball off your teammate's body or shins count as a "completed pass"?

And, did I hear the commentator call Mariner a "Legend" of some sort?!

Thanks!

Welcome to our nightmare

Thomas
09-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Silva lost the ball a few times, and looking sloppy so far.

Eastend
09-25-2012, 09:44 PM
I don't understand why we're not pressing more and attacking. Anyone?

AlanO
09-25-2012, 09:44 PM
How did Maund get a pro contract? Terrible player.

TOBOR !
09-25-2012, 09:45 PM
3 dudes busting out the Dichio chant. Awesome. TFC does not deserve fans like that.

Suds
09-25-2012, 09:46 PM
we take advantage of another brutal play by the home team

but I'll take the 2-0 lead

denime
09-25-2012, 09:47 PM
OK,that's it 2-0 Dunfield,game over.

Good night,it will be interesting to read the positive spin in tomorrow tfc news.

JusTrollinBy
Welcome to our nightmare

Ohhh yes... I've trolled this forum in and out since its inception... and most of what I've read here has kept me scurrying back under my bridge!

All good though, It's actually refreshing to see some of the RPB members break away from the "borg" mentality and speak with minds of their own!

Cheers!

notthesun
2-0. Johnson with the concrete touch but I'll at least give him credit for passing over to Dunfield instead of trying to still beat the keeper when he ran out of angle.

cmonyoureds
09-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Okay everyone, we all know what this means.....................

Check your e-mail tomorrow for the season ticket renewal notices!!!!

JackBauer24
Terry D turning into a goalscorer

ag futbol
I don't get it either. This guy is beyond invisable out there yet continues to get starts.

Meanwhile Avila is the whipping boy?? I'm at a loss for words

TOBOR !
09-25-2012, 09:50 PM
we take advantage of another brutal play by the home team

but I'll take the 2-0 lead

Ffs. The SN1 feed is about 10 minutes behind.

Eastend
09-25-2012, 09:52 PM
So I guess stop reading this board or stop watching sportsnet. Later, I want to watch what happens.

Dom

Yohan
09-25-2012, 09:54 PM
LOL Dunfield scoring goals

TOBOR !
09-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Ohhh yes... I've trolled this forum in and out since its inception... and most of what I've read here has kept me scurrying back under my bridge!

All good though, It's actually refreshing to see some of the RPB members break away from the "borg" mentality and speak with minds of their own!

Cheers!

Careful. You've broken the seal. :)

nlsanand
09-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Ffs. The SN1 feed is about 10 minutes behind. I was gonna say, should I be watching this on stream? I'm trying to watch TYT at the same time.

Suds
Aguila is bad. We are winning at the half as we should against a team of this quality.

Eastend
LOL Dunfield scoring goals

RPB Player of the Year candidate? Wow!

ag futbol
09-25-2012, 09:57 PM
I don't know how concacaf expects teams to take this seriously. We're playing a weak side and they even hold back their best payers for Nats duty.

Well it's a god send for MLSE at least

TOBOR !
09-25-2012, 09:58 PM
So I guess stop reading this board or stop watching sportsnet. Later, I want to watch what happens.

Dom
Whatevs. I'm not bothered by it... it's not like there's any real suspense. Toronto wins, Mariner says things are coming together nicely, looking forward to working with this group for a full year, expects great things.. and as previously mentioned, check yer inbox for a renewal email tomorrow.

TOBOR !
09-25-2012, 10:00 PM
I was gonna say, should I be watching this on stream? I'm trying to watch TYT at the same time.
TYT ?

Yohan
09-25-2012, 10:01 PM
I know Aguila is shite, but at least this proves that even without some of best players, TFC has the ability to play a passing game instead of hoofing the ball all the time. It's shocking

Luanda
09-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Folks, who cares if it is TFC 2 or TFC 3. Enjoy the moment. Because that is all it is.
How many times in any competition has TFC been ahead 2 nil at half time in any season, under any coach, etc.
Enjoy, because it will not last.

DaBandit
09-25-2012, 10:06 PM
RPB Player of the Year candidate? Wow!

isnt there some kind of jinx on anyone on the main page? If so, I welcome the idea. Not that I want him to get injured but simply just go away..

Edit: on second thought could mariner be a candidate instead? I mean he's got the shorts, he's ready to play..

JusTrollinBy
09-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Whatevs. I'm not bothered by it... it's not like there's any real suspense. Toronto wins, Mariner says things are coming together nicely, looking forward to working with this group for a full year, expects great things.. and as previously mentioned, check yer inbox for a renewal email tomorrow.

Toronto FC Move One Step Closer To Stardom In the CONCACAF Champions League!
Don't Miss Out Renew TODAY To Watch Canada's National Champions Tomorrow!

Yes, the prices are a bit more this year, but you'll receive:

- A FREE scarf!
- A discount card that will STILL let you pay higher prices at BMO for TFC merchandise than our partner retailers
- An increase in beer and food prices
- Fun atmosphere at BMO Field (here's a video link of people drinking and having a great time at BMO... and who don't give a shit about football)
- Cool packaging and a notebook featuring your coach Paul Mariner hugging his son Dunfield, broken spectacles and all!

Renew Today and We Might Not Raise Prices Next Year... Maybe!

Suds
09-25-2012, 10:09 PM
FFS! that should be a straight red!

Relja
09-25-2012, 10:10 PM
wtf.....

Benficachop20
09-25-2012, 10:11 PM
how isn't that a red?

TOBOR !
09-25-2012, 10:23 PM
Toronto FC Move One Step Closer To Stardom In the CONCACAF Champions League!
Don't Miss Out Renew TODAY To Watch Canada's National Champions Tomorrow!

Yes, the prices are a bit more this year, but you'll receive:

- A FREE scarf!
- A discount card that will STILL let you pay higher prices at BMO for TFC merchandise than our partner retailers
- An increase in beer and food prices
- Fun atmosphere at BMO Field (here's a video link of people drinking and having a great time at BMO... and who don't give a shit about football)
- Cool packaging and a notebook featuring your coach Paul Mariner hugging his son Dunfield, broken spectacles and all!

Renew Today and We Might Not Raise Prices Next Year... Maybe!

That's the idea (I did warn you)

Yohan
09-25-2012, 10:25 PM
the search party has found avila...

ag futbol
09-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Lolol. Anyone else hear mariner yell at Avila ? "Eric, WtF is that?"

JusTrollinBy
09-25-2012, 10:33 PM
That's the idea (I did warn you)

Yah, I wonder what colour their used car salesman suit will be...

Now, now MLSE, no matter how much you try to buff'em out or tape'm up, I can still see those dents, scrapes, gashes and cracked glass in the corner there...

:facepalm:

notthesun
09-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Those 3 TFC fans are heroes.

Suds
09-25-2012, 10:38 PM
how did that not go in???

jabbronies
09-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Typical Johnson.

JusTrollinBy
09-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Around this time of year... I can't help to think how prepared Aguila and their fans are for Halloween... thanks for the win (TREAT)... but now MLSE is gonna try and TRICK us into thinking we're a winning squad!

tfcleeds
09-25-2012, 10:46 PM
I look at Aguila, and I remember all those Mister Donut franchises from my youth....Damn you Tim Hortons! ;)

jabbronies
09-25-2012, 10:48 PM
I wish these players would take advantage of this crappy Aguila team and score a shit load of goals...but I don't think they know how to do it.

Suds
09-25-2012, 10:49 PM
^^
I look at Aguila and realize there are teams out there that are worse than us. :shocked:

jabbronies
09-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Looks like terry can!

JackBauer24
09-25-2012, 10:50 PM
Terry D once again....

tfcleeds
09-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Terry Dunfield - a leader of men, and the solution to our goalscoring woes!

JusTrollinBy
09-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Dumfield is right at home tonight, he can relate to the shite Aguila has shown... it gives him clarity to score goals

Happy this makes Mariner... HRMPH

Suds
09-25-2012, 10:56 PM
Well that's it for tonight. I'll take the win.

Aguila are very poor though.

JackBauer24
09-25-2012, 10:57 PM
Now we just need a miracle in Mexico so Mariner can be our coach forever.

JusTrollinBy
09-25-2012, 11:01 PM
Toronto did what they were supposed to do... out play and beat a crappy team (not in fine fashion I might add)

Just sad that we as fans are almost forced to have a "we'll take it" attitude

But still cause for a victory :drinking:

TFC07
09-25-2012, 11:08 PM
Nice win and nice to keep a clean sheet, but game wasn't fun to watch though. Very sloppy game!

We're not worst team in the world. Thanks Aguila for taking that title away from us. lol

Auzzy
09-25-2012, 11:14 PM
Nice to win for a change. What's the franchise fee to put a team in the Salvadorian league? Looks like the right level for TFC. They play in a US league now, why not in El Salvador instead?

Unbelievable that TFC didn't score a few more tonight, with a bucketful of chances. Also some horrendous giveaways to CDA who weren't even pressing.

I've been very upset with Mariner that Avila hasn't been playing. Sadly tonight Avila proved me wrong. Silva wasn't so great tonight either, but Avila was much worse. This was his moment to shine, to boss the play, coming in late vs. a brutally bad opponent. But he looked completely ineffective, even disinterested. His one backpass that went straight to an Aguila player in a dangerous position, really shocking. Eric certainly wasn't the only TFC player who played poorly tonight, but the other two subs at least showed some effort & injected a smidgen of life into the game. Avila looks to have checked out, probably doesn't give a shit any more, just hanging around until the season is over.

Positives: some fairly decent passing & movement for stretches, albeit against an opponent who is bad to begin with, and was barely trying. The three TFC fans were definitely the highlight of the match. By the end I was also thankful for the announcer's ridiculous pronunciation of many names: that was the only thing keeping me awake, between his inane & monotonous commentary, and the dreadful game itself.

Auzzy
09-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Oh and the Panamanian ref was pretty decent, especially as it was his first ever international match. Some bad calls, but definitely didn't try to screw TFC in any systematic fashion.

Benficachop20
09-26-2012, 12:44 AM
Perfect game to play some kids... didn't call up any of them.

jloome
09-26-2012, 02:35 AM

That team was awful. The average USL side would've slaughtered them; in fact, I think our academy first team would've done them pretty well.

But I'll leave it to Mariner to explain why it was all up to Super Terry (and this is not a made-up quote, it's from the game story):

“He’s the ultimate box-to-box player at the present moment."

Terry Dunfield, ultimate box-to-box player, meet Andrew Wiedeman, greatest finisher in the modern game.

Gazza
09-26-2012, 05:50 AM
Legendary Terry at it again. Danny Koevermans is keeping his spot warm for him on the front page.

Derko
09-26-2012, 06:44 AM

I was thinking the same thing, TFC looked like a bunch of apprehensive pre-teen players out there, glad to see a result but geez what a shittie lazy looking squad, the only one that looked at all interested was Morgan, Johnson looked a lazy fuck in the second half, poor,poor game, no effort at all.

A.J
09-26-2012, 06:59 AM
Jesus, I came here to read about how the game went last night and I see more moaning/bitching than talking about the actual game.

Fort York Redcoat
09-26-2012, 07:09 AM
^ And now you're a part of it.

Anyway, I was hoping for the lads to equal Santos' 4-nil but this will do. Aguila were pylons at times and looked the part with those kits.g:D

Now does this translate to a better outlook v NY on Sat.? Doubtful but maybe...

__wowza
09-26-2012, 07:46 AM
he can score two goals, but at the end of the day people are still gonna hate dunfield.

http://i.imm.io/FH3F.png

Blizzard
09-26-2012, 07:46 AM
That team was awful. The average USL side would've slaughtered them; in fact, I think our academy first team would've done them pretty well.

But I'll leave it to Mariner to explain why it was all up to Super Terry (and this is not a made-up quote, it's from the game story):

Terry Dunfield, ultimate box-to-box player, meet Andrew Wiedeman, greatest finisher in the modern game.

Did we not learn that their four best players are currently with the ES national team?

narduch
09-26-2012, 07:53 AM
For the record, TFC yet again played with a shortened bench.

Either too cheap to bring extra players, or a coach that refuses to play some players so much that he is willing to take risks.

sashavukelich
09-26-2012, 08:05 AM
For the record, TFC yet again played with a shortened bench.

Either too cheap to bring extra players, or a coach that refuses to play some players so much that he is willing to take risks.

lol, they built a multimillion dollar training facility and you think they are too cheap to get a couple tix down to the match???

They scored a goal for every Toronto Fan in the stadium...that has to be a record.

narduch
09-26-2012, 08:08 AM
lol, they built a multimillion dollar training facility and you think they are too cheap to get a couple tix down to the match???

They built it with land donated by the government and using Adidas sponsorship money.

Let's not give them credit for doing what all MLS clubs should be doing.

ryan
09-26-2012, 08:13 AM
They built it with land donated by the government and using Adidas sponsorship money.

Let's not give them credit for doing what all MLS clubs should be doing.

Much like BMO...

Much like their charities which really don't do shit..

MLSE deserves credit for fooling the people, that's for sure.

Suds
09-26-2012, 08:14 AM

They scored a goal for every Toronto Fan in the stadium...that has to be a record.

Just realized that. Kudos to those three who made the trek down there to support the team. Unreal commitment!

narduch
09-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Much like BMO...

Much like their charities which really don't do shit..

MLSE deserves credit for fooling the people, that's for sure.

Agreed.

The Academy is more PR than anything else for this club.

Greatest Ripoff
09-26-2012, 08:38 AM

It is beyond my comprehension how Maund can start game in and game out and yet Stinson can barely get sniff, being played out wide. Stinson, at this time last year got a call up to the senior Canadian Nation Team and now isn't even good enough to fill an empty seat on the bench under Mariner? Williams, Cann and Emory all in at CB yet Henry can't get a minute? What is the point of having an academy if Mariner isn't going to play any young players?

narduch
09-26-2012, 08:45 AM
Don't be surprised if next season TFC has very few Canadians, much like Vancouver and Montreal.

Whether that is a good or bad thing is up for debate. Personally I consider it a bad thing.

I'd be surprised to see Cann, Stinson, Makabuya or Cordon back next season.

Joe Kool
09-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Don't be surprised if next season TFC has very few Canadians, much like Vancouver and Montreal.

Whether that is a good or bad thing is up for debate. Personally I consider it a bad thing.

I'd be surprised to see Cann, Stinson, Makabuya or Cordon back next season.

Cann - maybe not because of his salary but otherwise making less he could stay on the bench. I like him and hope he stays but not at the expense of the team if it comes down to that.
Makabuya and Cordon - Haven't seen enough from them to worry about if they are there or not cause they really haven't been there at all.
Stinson - Would be a damn shame to lose him. I think he has a good upside and will pull a Cronin possibly somewhere else if let go.

TFC07
09-26-2012, 09:06 AM
It is beyond my comprehension how Maund can start game in and game out and yet Stinson can barely get sniff, being played out wide. Stinson, at this time last year got a call up to the senior Canadian Nation Team and now isn't even good enough to fill an empty seat on the bench under Mariner? Williams, Cann and Emory all in at CB yet Henry can't get a minute? What is the point of having an academy if Mariner isn't going to play any young players?

Seriously, what has Maund show that he's good enough to start every game? He is such an useless player.

Only reason why he's playing because he's a Mariner player. This is one of many reasons why I want Mariner gone.

This game was a great opportunity to play younger kids to gain experience while resting your starters.

Auzzy
09-26-2012, 09:29 AM
I don't think this game was necessarily the one to "play the kids." Let's be honest, before the game many of us were worried that TFC couldn't get a win against Aguila in El Salvador, especially with a few more starters out. If Aguila had played a bit better, and a kid who's been left to rust (mostly not even on the bench) had screwed up & cost the game, quite a few of us would have freaked. It's one of the few (only?) winnable games left this season.

However, in the MLS games where playoffs are done & dusted, we should be seeing more Academy grads every single game, especially on the bench. And if players like Maund and Jeremy Hall are starting & playing 90 minutes, then there are better options, e.g., Stinson and Doneil Henry. And at the very least, Mariner should have filled his bench for a long road trip to El Salvador. What if a couple of guys had caught the flu or whatever, that's very likely on a trip like this.

reggie
09-26-2012, 09:47 AM
i wonder if DUNNY was sitting on PMs lap on the flight home.

Fort York Redcoat
09-26-2012, 10:03 AM
i wonder if DUNNY was sitting on PMs lap on the flight home.

I don't have a problem with that or PM singing Dunny's praises. It's not going to be that often.

synkronized1
09-26-2012, 10:07 AM
First post ever. The level of hate for Dunfield on the board never ceases to amaze me. Regardless of the circumstances, he's making the best of the opportunity he has been given. He works hard, puts in a lot of effort and it shows... he doesn't have a lot of natural talent, but he's delivering to the best of his limited ability. Flagrant tackles, awkward back passes and too-tight shirts aside, he's one of the few bright spots on the team this year IMO.

Yohan
09-26-2012, 10:24 AM
First post ever. The level of hate for Dunfield on the board never ceases to amaze me. Regardless of the circumstances, he's making the best of the opportunity he has been given. He works hard, puts in a lot of effort and it shows... he doesn't have a lot of natural talent, but he's delivering to the best of his limited ability. Flagrant tackles, awkward back passes and too-tight shirts aside, he's one of the few bright spots on the team this year IMO.
doesn't change the fact that he's a depth player in MLS, no matter how much he thinks he's Gerrard

Couchy81
09-26-2012, 10:24 AM

Can't disagree with that, but the animosity stems from the fact MLSE put together a team where Dunfield IS one of our best players game in and game out.

Ajax TFC
09-26-2012, 10:32 AM
the fact that a bad player tries really hard isn't a bright spot for me. The fact is, he isn't anywhere near good enough. He can try all he wants, but a team with him as an undisputed starter will never go anywhere

trane
09-26-2012, 10:33 AM

hahahahahahahahaha. Yes, Pirlo, De Rossi, Gerrard and Terry Dunfield. ahahahahaahahahah

Hahahahab. Mariner the comedian. ahahahahahah.

Suds
09-26-2012, 10:35 AM

You'll find there are people on both sides when it comes to many players. I'm not as down on the guy as some, but I would still like to TFC upgrade him for a more skilled player in that same position. If TFC could find a player with better ball distribution/passing and vision with his passion and work rate it would be a huge upgrade to our midfield.

Besides, Dunfield is the best 2-3 in the league!. Just ask Carts. g:D

trane
09-26-2012, 10:49 AM
I just read that Mariner said " Hassli is a more complete CF then Ibra, Emory-Eckersley a better pairing at CB then Thiago Silva-Nesta and Dunny has the tenacity of Gerrard, the passing ability and vision of Pirlo and the finishing touch of C. Ronaldo, he may be a better all around player then Messi."

When asked if his players are so great why does he not win he said "Winter and JDG messed up their minds".

Gazza
09-26-2012, 10:50 AM
In all seriousness, i sure hope the people who rip Terry Dunfield feel or felt the same way about Paul (or Carl as his family calls him) Robinson. I've seen Robinson get a lot of love on these boards, which i find confusing since they are the same player, only one has been more productive for us.

Both are slow. Neither can pass the ball on the ground or in the air. The only good thing about them is their effort and likeability among their peers. Neither knows what to do when they score because it's such a rarity. Although Dunfield at least, has added a few goals this year, a couple have been clutch.

trane
09-26-2012, 10:54 AM
^ Personally I take Dunfield for what he is, do not hate him do not love him. But as others have said, he cannot be the midfield engine. I just am trully starting to laugh at Mariner, it is difficult do understand who he is in the profession he is.

Yohan
09-26-2012, 10:55 AM
In all seriousness, i sure hope the people who rip Terry Dunfield feel or felt the same way about Paul Robinson. I've seen Robinson get a lot of love on these boards, which i find confusing since they are the same player, only one has been more productive for us.

Both are slow. Neither can pass the ball on the ground or in the air. The only good thing about them is their effort and likeability among their peers. Neither knows what to do when they score because it's such a rarity. Although Dunfield at least, has added a few goals this year, a couple have been clutch.
who's Paul Robinson? :p

ag futbol
09-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Makabuya and Cordon - Haven't seen enough from them to worry about if they are there or not cause they really haven't been there at all.
I think it's a little more complicated than that.

I agree with you, on the surface they haven't showed anything yet. On the other hand, they are both 19 and should be considered prospects. What kind of message will it send if we cut them? Is two years enough to try and break through as a pro or should they be given more time? Are they going to be replaced by new kids like Camargo and Prasher, or will the HGP spots simply stay vacant?

Personally, I think two years is a little light considering their ages. However, if we really had strong players at the academy we wanted to push through that we couldn't otherwise find room for, I might be in favor. My fear however, is that they are going to be replaced by crap NCAA guys drafted in the later rounds who will never stick around and have half the potential. If I'm holding a lottery ticket, I'd at least take the one that has the $10M dollar jackpot instead of $100.

Gazza
09-26-2012, 10:59 AM
ooops. i meant Carl...well, just proves how memorable he was to me! haha

Pookie
09-26-2012, 11:14 AM
I think it's a little more complicated than that.

I agree with you, on the surface they haven't showed anything yet. On the other hand, they are both 19 and should be considered prospects. What kind of message will it send if we cut them? Is two years enough to try and break through as a pro or should they be given more time? Are they going to be replaced by new kids like Camargo and Prasher, or will the HGP spots simply stay vacant?

Personally, I think two years is a little light considering their ages. However, if we really had strong players at the academy we wanted to push through that we couldn't otherwise find room for, I might be in favor. My fear however, is that they are going to be replaced by crap NCAA guys drafted in the later rounds who will never stick around and have half the potential. If I'm holding a lottery ticket, I'd at least take the one that has the $10M dollar jackpot instead of $100.

This is the academy conundrum.

18-19 year old players generally aren't ready for MLS competition. Throw a young kid in against that LA line up last week, what kind of confidence can they develop? Add the pressures of a fan base hungry to win and it is a recipe for disaster. There is a reason that pro teams have minor leagues to let their prospects develop until they are ready.

The challenge here is that outside of the CSL, were does a player who is near the top of his peers but still too young to play, continue his development? For many reasons, the CSL is less than an idea solution to the "minor league" question.

An NCAA grad steps into the MLS in his 20s. This is Silva's first year. He's doing fine. Frei? Cronin? All did well.

In the US, the NCAA is showing signs that it is willing to work with MLS. They have relaxed eligibility rules such that partnerships with Academies are possible. A player "graduates" from Academy at 18 and goes into NCAA program where he continues his development. As MLS changes, so too will NCAA.

For us north of the border, this remains a challenge for obvious reasons.

ag futbol
09-26-2012, 11:30 AM
^ But in so many ways the NCAA is just insufficient. The season is shortened, the rules don't follow FIFA standard, and the overall talent pool is weak. A lot of people would argue NCAA isn't actually making players any better, it's just putting them all in a central location where they can be found. So the argument isn't that Luis Silva is better than an academy player, it's that if you found Luis Silva when he was 18 and gave him a pro contract, he'd be a lot better than he is today for going through the NCAA.

I agree, the pyramid for young players is still somewhat broken and they lack a place to play to prepare them for the pro game. But I think there are better ways to address the problem than simply relying on the NCAA.

Yohan
09-26-2012, 12:02 PM

18-19 year old players generally aren't ready for MLS competition. Throw a young kid in against that LA line up last week, what kind of confidence can they develop? Add the pressures of a fan base hungry to win and it is a recipe for disaster. There is a reason that pro teams have minor leagues to let their prospects develop until they are ready.

The challenge here is that outside of the CSL, were does a player who is near the top of his peers but still too young to play, continue his development? For many reasons, the CSL is less than an idea solution to the "minor league" question.

An NCAA grad steps into the MLS in his 20s. This is Silva's first year. He's doing fine. Frei? Cronin? All did well.

In the US, the NCAA is showing signs that it is willing to work with MLS. They have relaxed eligibility rules such that partnerships with Academies are possible. A player "graduates" from Academy at 18 and goes into NCAA program where he continues his development. As MLS changes, so too will NCAA.

NCAA isn't going to make radical changes to accommodate MLS. NCAA season is still only 4 months long. Hardly enough time for development. Esp if they feel a student's academic is going to be hampered by playing sports.
Not to mention other than handful of schools, NCAA programs generally suck. Too many schools, not enough quality coaches. If you thought Weedman and Amarikwa sucks, those guys were top prospects out of NCAA programs.

MLS really needs to develop the Reserve League, and take youth academy league into its own fold. But setting up a serious reserve league cost too much money

Canary10
09-26-2012, 12:30 PM
I just read that Mariner said " Hassli is a more complete CF then Ibra, Emory-Eckersley a better pairing at CB then Thiago Silva-Nesta and Dunny has the tenacity of Gerrard, the passing ability and vision of Pirlo and the finishing touch of C. Ronaldo, he may be a better all around player then Messi."

When asked if his players are so great why does he not win he said "Winter and JDG messed up their minds".

What?!! He really said this? Where?

trane
09-26-2012, 02:43 PM
^ OK I may be bsing, but it is along the lines of some of his comments.

jloome
09-26-2012, 02:49 PM

A position based on the errant assumption that thinking someone suck ass as a professional footballer is the same as "hating" him. I think he's a nice guy, and a hard worker. I also think he's a Conference-level player at best who can't compete in this league for a starting position, and any time the team is talking him up as the bright point, we're in deep, deep trouble.

But I figure the record this season makes that self-evident. Evidently not.

golaso.gol
09-26-2012, 02:49 PM

Good post. We need quality environments that give players meaningful games during important years.

Its a simple progression, quality youth academy (pro club's or not)---- good pro contract or quality NCAA program---- pro contract or degree and job (soccer related or not). The quicker the current efforts to tie the top 30-40 NCAA programs with the pro game the better. MLS, and the pro game will only be able to make further steps in the future with a solid foundation underneath them.

Take a look at some of the top NCAA programs and you will see the level of professionalism involved- from coaches, player support personnel, facilities, to the way they travel and operate as a "pro" group. Players are playing meaningful games (25+ a season), under pressure, in front of good crowds and media attention. Yes not all programs are like that, but the relevant top ones are and that's the only meaningful comparison with MLS team's reserve squads.

We cant just assume that all pro franchises have the quality coaches or environment in place within their youth and reserve teams because they are "pro". Its just not the case, some do it well and should be commended and others simply dont. Players often on minimum un-guaranteed deals are just not getting meaningful amount of quality games to progress, while the league and teams have not shown a commitment to this important group over the years and many attempts to fix the situation.

again we cant paint all NCAA programs (bad) and MLS reserve team (good) with the same brush. My hope is that all parties, MLS, top NCAA, 2nd tier pro etc improve and cooperate to provide aspiring and deserving players more opportunities. (and especially Canadian players :) )

jloome
09-26-2012, 02:50 PM
^ But in so many ways the NCAA is just insufficient. The season is shortened, the rules don't follow FIFA standard, and the overall talent pool is weak. A lot of people would argue NCAA isn't actually making players any better, it's just putting them all in a central location where they can be found. So the argument isn't that Luis Silva is better than an academy player, it's that if you found Luis Silva when he was 18 and gave him a pro contract, he'd be a lot better than he is today for going through the NCAA.

I agree, the pyramid for young players is still somewhat broken and they lack a place to play to prepare them for the pro game. But I think there are better ways to address the problem than simply relying on the NCAA.

Rongen has said that at best, Andrew Wenger is as good as he was when he went into NCAA and in some ways, it actually made him worse. And he does scout these guys and specialize in youth development.

Beach_Red
09-26-2012, 03:03 PM
Good post. We need quality environments that give players meaningful games during important years.

Its a simple progression, quality youth academy (pro club's or not)---- good pro contract or quality NCAA program---- pro contract or degree and job (soccer related or not). The quicker the current efforts to tie the top 30-40 NCAA programs with the pro game the better. MLS, and the pro game will only be able to make further steps in the future with a solid foundation underneath them.

Take a look at some of the top NCAA programs and you will see the level of professionalism involved- from coaches, player support personnel, facilities, to the way they travel and operate as a "pro" group. Players are playing meaningful games (25+ a season), under pressure, in front of good crowds and media attention. Yes not all programs are like that, but the relevant top ones are and that's the only meaningful comparison with MLS team's reserve squads.

We cant just assume that all pro franchises have the quality coaches or environment in place within their youth and reserve teams because they are "pro". Its just not the case, some do it well and should be commended and others simply dont. Players often on minimum un-guaranteed deals are just not getting meaningful amount of quality games to progress, while the league and teams have not shown a commitment to this important group over the years and many attempts to fix the situation.

again we cant paint all NCAA programs (bad) and MLS reserve team (good) with the same brush. My hope is that all parties, MLS, top NCAA, 2nd tier pro etc improve and cooperate to provide aspiring and deserving players more opportunities. (and especially Canadian players :) )

This is good to hear and it's very important. It's really unlikely that pro soccer will ever become a major sport in the US unless it has solid NCAA support.

Yohan
09-26-2012, 03:04 PM
Rongen has said that at best, Andrew Wenger is as good as he was when he went into NCAA and in some ways, it actually made him worse. And he does scout these guys and specialize in youth development.

My feeling about NCAA is that because America has so large of a population, some good soccer players are produced despite NCAA

Pookie
09-26-2012, 03:15 PM
My feeling about NCAA is that because America has so large of a population, some good soccer players are produced despite NCAA

Not sure why the distain exists. NCAA will change. As soccer grows in popularly, NCAA knows how to follow the money.

Set aside the development aspects to a 4 month schedule, the one core advantage NCAA has over the Academy model is routed in the "off field" aspects to growing up. While some can piss away their scholarships, NCAA provides much more support to developing players with various support mechanisms. Players graduate in their 20s and with more experience in being on their own and coping with the stresses of life, both personal and financial.

I remember listening to a broadcast on the Montreal Canadiens and a former player was talking about PK Subban. Then a 19 year old star with the Habs living on his own, with millions of dollars in Montreal of all places. A fellow with circumstances like that could get himself into a lot of trouble and Subban's 2nd year in the NHL suggested lots of that.

Many NHL teams are making the idea of billeting their young stars a common part of their development plan... regardless of who the player is. For those that can't crack the NHL at a young age, the minor league teams have those supports in place.

Contrast that with what DeRo said about TFC in that the team didn't even help guys find apartments and there are some very worrying aspects to the current model. Becoming a professional isn't just about what you do with a ball, it's what you do with time in between training and how you approach life.

NCAA prepares players for that much better than letting them loose on their own.

Yohan
09-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Not sure why the distain exists. NCAA will change. As soccer grows in popularly, NCAA knows how to follow the money.

Set aside the development aspects to a 4 month schedule, the one core advantage NCAA has over the Academy model is routed in the "off field" aspects to growing up. While some can piss away their scholarships, NCAA provides much more support to developing players with various support mechanisms. Players graduate in their 20s and with more experience in being on their own and coping with the stresses of life, both personal and financial.

I remember listening to a broadcast on the Montreal Canadiens and a former player was talking about PK Subban. Then a 19 year old star with the Habs living on his own, with millions of dollars in Montreal of all places. A fellow with circumstances like that could get himself into a lot of trouble and Subban's 2nd year in the NHL suggested lots of that.

Many NHL teams are making the idea of billeting their young stars a common part of their development plan... regardless of who the player is. For those that can't crack the NHL at a young age, the minor league teams have those supports in place.

Contrast that with what DeRo said about TFC in that the team didn't even help guys find apartments and there are some very worrying aspects to the current model. Becoming a professional isn't just about what you do with a ball, its what you do with time in between training and how you approach life.

NCAA prepares players for that much better than letting them loose on their own.

Kid with money don't know how to live on their own? Sounds like a parenting issue to me, not something that school should be getting involved with.

End result is that a player graduates out of NCAA at 22-23, and he now has about 10 yrs to make a living. With rare exception, European teams aren't going to pay much attention to 22-23 yr old with no pro experience. Not to mention such high failure rate of those people that does go over to Europe, but just don't make the cut. Because they aren't prepared by NCAA to live a pro life, living and breathing soccer 10 months a year. Good for MLS perhaps, but not exactly a good career move for a player.

Pookie
09-26-2012, 03:20 PM
18 year old on their own in Toronto (or NY or LA) with little to no supports? Issue for any kid regardless of the parents. Some cope better than others. Just saying NCAA prepares you for that.

ag futbol
09-26-2012, 04:25 PM
18 year old on their own in Toronto (or NY or LA) with little to no supports? Issue for any kid regardless of the parents. Some cope better than others. Just saying NCAA prepares you for that.
You'd be mistaken to think the pro teams just throw these kids out there without any sort of safety net. They know it's an adjustment period, and they often deal with such things in a very direct manner, often through mandatory classes and the sort. For guys like PK Subban earning millions of dollars under the age of 20, they often strongly encourage the players to bring along a family member or relative to keep them grounded. I believe your comment about TFC and finding players apartments and the sort: growing pains associated with the league. They are still trying to figure a lot of stuff out IMO.

The bottom line is really that the best way the world has found to develop soccer players thus far is to go fully pro at an earlier age and to fully dedicate yourself to training. Going through NCAA is a huge hedge, it limits your downside but also your upside. If the discussion is about a blue chip prospect who's has huge potential, I don't think there's any debate, you avoid the NCAA. If you are a middle of the road guy who *maybe* thinks they have a shot of going pro / having a career in MLS, well then you can explore your options a little more thoroughly.

That being said, this whole conversation gets astrophysics complicated when you consider that MLS is one small fish in a large ocean that is the world game. NCAA players are free agents when they graduate (can sign anywhere in the world), as others have pointed out the academy training in North America can be of varying quality, and some players just don't want to play for MLS money period. Quite a bit to consider when you're a growing league trying to decide how to deal with these issues.

rockxlee
09-26-2012, 04:47 PM
We're pretty much out of the tournament rite? the goal differential is 6 from the standings.

Yohan
09-26-2012, 04:57 PM
We're pretty much out of the tournament rite? the goal differential is 6 from the standings.I'm pretty sure the first tiebreaker is pts earned between, then goal difference between the two tied teams. so if TFC beats Santos Laguna by 3 goals, TFC goes through

nfitz
09-26-2012, 05:05 PM
I'm pretty sure the first tiebreaker is pts earned between, then goal difference between the two tied teams. so if TFC beats Santos Laguna by 3 goals, TFC goes throughYes. For all intents and purposes we are now playing a home and away with Santos Laguna, and we lost 3-1 in the first leg in Toronto.

4 team groups do make it a lot more interesting ...

ryan
09-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Yes. For all intents and purposes we are now playing a home and away with Santos Laguna, and we lost 3-1 in the first leg in Toronto.

4 team groups do make it a lot more interesting ...

3 Team groups serve Mexico and USA.

La De Da

09-26-2012, 11:00 PM
Just getting home from Pearson now. Jon, Craig and I had a blast at the game, and glad we were heard on TV! Team was great to us, and the stadium beer was only $3! (And I'm pretty sure that was the away supporters mark up!)

tfcleeds
09-26-2012, 11:05 PM
^You were definitely seen and heard loud and clear. Thanks for doing us proud - credit to you lads.

Yohan
09-26-2012, 11:14 PM
Just getting home from Pearson now. Jon, Craig and I had a blast at the game, and glad we were heard on TV! Team was great to us, and the stadium beer was only $3! (And I'm pretty sure that was the away supporters mark up!)

you guys are heros. (also on game in six)

denime
09-27-2012, 05:48 AM

:thumbsup::cheers:

Auzzy
09-27-2012, 08:08 AM

Truly awesome! The Dichio chant was heard especially loud and clear, even though the camera wasn't on you at that time. I was only half paying attention to the game at the moment, heard the Dichio chant, and was thinking WTF is going on there???

Alonso
09-27-2012, 08:15 PM

If you don't mind me asking, what was the price for the trip? What was the itinerary?

I'd love to go on one of these CCL away trips eventually, have you been to others?

Proud to be a part of this group for these moments in particular.

09-28-2012, 07:01 AM
If you don't mind me asking, what was the price for the trip? What was the itinerary?

I'd love to go on one of these CCL away trips eventually, have you been to others?

Proud to be a part of this group for these moments in particular.

It was a quick, relatively cheap trip (with aeroplan points).
We flew down on the Monday, and back on the Wednesday (we've all got young kids and working wives - saints, they are!)
The flight was 40,000 points and about $90 and was 5 hours direct.
Hotel was $130 a night (split between us).
Beer was fairly cheap.
We hired a driver for the morning and took a 10 hour trip around the mountains and volcanos, and through Guatemala and parts of Honduras. This was extra, but totally worth it.

jaahuuu
06-04-2014, 08:38 AM
So apparently this one was fixed (http://www.elgrafico.com/2014/06/02/concacaf-ignored-evidence-of-match-fixing).

OgtheDim
06-04-2014, 08:44 AM
Link?

Graeme
06-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Line Up:

Subs:

Hahaha. Oh god, the team is so much better now...

Oldtimer
06-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Link?

The link is under the word "fixed".

Explains why Aguila were so bad, and how the "worst team in the world" could actually get a 3-0 win under one of the absolute worst coaches of it's existence.

A clean sheet for Freddy Hall? :smilielol5:

how did that not go in???

Nice win and nice to keep a clean sheet, but game wasn't fun to watch though. Very sloppy game!

We're not worst team in the world. Thanks Aguila for taking that title away from us. lol

^^
I look at Aguila and realize there are teams out there that are worse than us. http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/images/smilies/set5/shocked.gif

I look at Aguila, and I remember all those Mister Donut franchises from my youth....Damn you Tim Hortons! http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/images/smilies/wink.png

Voodooman
06-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Have to re-watch the highlights now to see this. To think I saw enough of match fixing in the CSL to now this.

adam1001
06-04-2014, 10:07 AM
Have to re-watch the highlights now to see this. To think I saw enough of match fixing in the CSL to now this.
Just watched them. It is pretty damn obvious haha.

Kaz
06-04-2014, 10:38 AM
Terry Dunfield getting a brace should have been a giant Red Flag that the game was fixed.

MartinUtd
06-04-2014, 10:42 AM
"Seedy Aguila"

They're not even trying to defend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yFC4q5CEt0

Richard
06-04-2014, 11:34 AM
Well the first one drops, I wouldnt be supprised to see another few more.

Actually, that TFC CCL game with Preki in charge comes to mind. Forget the team name, but it was one down south with all those floping players.

Relja
06-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Im glad weve gotten better...

Oldtimer
06-04-2014, 01:33 PM
"Seedy Aguila"

They're not even trying to defend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yFC4q5CEt0

Some observations:

1. Their GK is not in on the fix, he is really trying.
2. The defenders are certainly not defending.
3. TFC must have been horrible not to win this one 10-0.
4. Love the FK directly into Freddy Hall's hands. Pretty much says it all.
5. No pushing at the end, they just let TFC pass it around.

ensco
06-04-2014, 02:28 PM
Was Maund in on it?