PDA

View Full Version : What was the last piece of good news from TFC?

sashavukelich
09-20-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm not being cheeky here, or trying to create/promote the insane Manic-Depressive attitudes on display regularly on this forum, but I ACTUALLY can't remember the last piece of exciting/good news that TFC has had? Maybe the game with LA in the Skydome?

nfitz
09-20-2012, 06:19 PM
I'm not being cheeky here, or trying to create/promote the insane Manic-Depressive attitudes on display regularly on this forum, but I ACTUALLY can't remember the last piece of exciting/good news that TFC has had? Maybe the game with LA in the Skydome?I thought the most recent good news was Frings announcement yesterday that he should be back with the club in a few weeks, and expects to play in October.

[NBF]
09-20-2012, 06:32 PM
I'm not being cheeky here, or trying to create/promote the insane Manic-Depressive attitudes on display regularly on this forum, but I ACTUALLY can't remember the last piece of exciting/good news that TFC has had? Maybe the game with LA in the Skydome?

The way I see it, the promotion of Tom Anselmi, is a good indication that TFC is a succesful club financially and would be more successful if it was a winning team.

As far as the appointments of Mariner and Cochrane. Well that might be literally the finally stop to the madness in the sense that even "for sure" things can be destroyed with bad management and bad leadership. IMO, the 2013 year will be so bad that it will resemble the Detroit Lions 2008 season. Financially it will be disastrous, but the team will not lose its fans and will rebound with better management.

g:DNow that we know that next season will be a loss. Lets think of what you could put your money towards? How about buying shares of the team? If the team asks, "what can we do to make it up to the fans?", the answer should be how about a percentage of the ownership of the team. Save your money this season and then demand for minority ownership in some way.:drinking:Why not?

ensco
09-20-2012, 06:35 PM
When Plata scored the second goal in Torreon.

Basically the roof has been caving in ever since.

GBV
09-20-2012, 07:08 PM

Seeing where things are today, it's mind-blowing to think that the 'dome game was this year. Feels like a lifetime ago.

123 elite
09-20-2012, 08:37 PM
I thought the most recent good news was Frings announcement yesterday that he should be back with the club in a few weeks, and expects to play in October.

I'm curious to why you think that is 'good' news. I like Frings but his performances this season have generally been poor. He certainly isnt the spark that is going to be making us win any time soon. The only player who we have playing for us this year that could actually stand up and say ... you know what, as shite as we have been, i didnt do too bad, is Kocic. No-one else. And if you want to peg performance to pay scale... Frings is not exactly pulling his weight in the dollar for performance league. Its not his fault we suck but him being absent or being here is making no difference.

lobo
09-20-2012, 09:28 PM
I thought the most recent good news was Frings announcement yesterday that he should be back with the club in a few weeks, and expects to play in October.

where has this been reported? i get nothing on google or twitter searches

I'm curious to why you think that is 'good' news. I like Frings but his performances this season have generally been poor. He certainly isnt the spark that is going to be making us win any time soon. The only player who we have playing for us this year that could actually stand up and say ... you know what, as shite as we have been, i didnt do too bad, is Kocic. No-one else. And if you want to peg performance to pay scale... Frings is not exactly pulling his weight in the dollar for performance league. Its not his fault we suck but him being absent or being here is making no difference.

i think frings season, like TFC' season, needs to be looked at in two separate parts ... the Winter era and the Mariner era ... he was used completely differently in the two widely differing systems ... he was injured early in the season, played as a centre back a fair bit under winter, then effectively muted under mariner's system because it has no mid-field transition, and then injured again late in season, apparently playing with the injury for a number of games ... damn crazy season taken as a whole, so it really shouldn't be a shocker that he didn't appear to be as consistent as we saw him last year. i think the removal of deguzman also had a part to play in the illusion that frings' dropped off in quality too.

yeah, he had one obvious brain fart leading to a goal early on, and he missed a tackle late for which he was publicly slammed by his own coach ... not his best year for sure, probably one of the most difficult seasons of his career given the shit storm all around the team ... overall, i will disagree with you that frings has 'generally been poor' this year. given better conditions, system, and coach, frings can still be a difference maker. a veteran leader for all our young players carries a lot of value on its own.

i'm also going to disagree with your opinion that kocic is the one and only player who didn't play bad this year ... there are several other players that 'didnt do too bad', sadly some of them were rewarded with contract releases or lots of minutes on the bench as the season went on. they had to make room for all the quality mariner brought us.

back on topic ... last piece of good news from TFC? after scraping the memory cells, if i had to say, i suppose i'd settle for the O'Dea signing

sashavukelich
09-20-2012, 10:16 PM
^^^ The Frings quote was from his Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/XXII.Frings

lobo
09-20-2012, 10:28 PM
^ thanks sasha

Oldtimer
09-21-2012, 07:27 AM
Mo and Preki being fired.

Ageroo
09-21-2012, 07:33 AM
There will be a new team in MLS....and the franchise will be in Toronto. ;)

tfcmanu
09-21-2012, 07:40 AM
There will be a new team in MLS....and the franchise will be in Toronto. ;)

Bring back the BLIZZARD!!!

prizby
09-21-2012, 08:48 AM
^^^ The Frings quote was from his Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/XXII.Frings

he says he'll be back in Toronto...nothing about playing though

as for the good news, I'd have to say its Ashtone Morgan then Doneil Henry signing long-term contracts

nfitz
09-21-2012, 08:56 AM
he says he'll be back in Toronto...nothing about playing thoughThe English is rough, but I think he's saying he'll be captain for the season final. Doesn't that require that he plays?

Either way - its a good sign.

__wowza
09-21-2012, 09:11 AM

as for the good news, I'd have to say its Ashtone Morgan then Doneil Henry signing long-term contracts

the international call-ups too.
good to see the lads being rewarded and recognized on a national level.

Suds
09-21-2012, 09:32 AM

This was a highlight for me as well. I really hope they do well with the academy for many reasons. Seeing some of our first academy kids get pro contracts and actually see playing time is great.

TFC_Allez
09-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Hmmmm...I'd say the last bit of good news concerning TFC was the win over LA in LA to send us to the semis of CCL. The Plata goals vs Santos were pretty sweet too. Brings a smile to my face picturing the kid dancing at the corner flag after scoring. Being 45 minutes away from the CCL final was the last glimmer of hope...

ryan
09-21-2012, 10:26 AM
"MLSE has decided to sell TFC"

oh wait, this isn't the thread called "What is the only possible good TFC news to come next?"

jabbronies
09-21-2012, 10:28 AM

urggh another two over-hyped Canadian players. Might be best to see how they develop over the next season or two before waving that banner.

jabbronies
09-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Last piece of good news for TFC was the 1-0 victory over Vancouver at BMO field to win the Canadian Championship.
Everything after that was a down hill shit slide.

spark
09-21-2012, 10:42 AM

I think that needs to be clarified - he also says he'll be in rehab for "some monthS" and will be 100% for next season.

Everything I've read about hip surgery is you're looking at minimum 6 weeks, but usually 3 months up to 6. Considering we've been told nothing about what the cause of the injury was or what was required in the surgery - I would be beyond shocked if he had arthroscopic hip surgery and came back to play in one month.

ensco
09-21-2012, 11:10 AM
The English is rough, but I think he's saying he'll be captain for the season final. Doesn't that require that he plays?

Either way - its a good sign.

He's saying he's looking forward to being with the team and its fans at the season finale as captain. Nothing about playing per se, it's vaguely worded.

IMO a clear positive statement, designed to stop the rumour mill.

Too bad, I enjoyed this one. But whatever the facts, Frings has two and a half million reasons to do this.

narduch
09-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Too bad, I enjoyed this one. But whatever the facts, Frings has two and a half million reasons to do this.

And its the same reason why Koevermans will be back next year too.

We've already seen from the way De Guzman was handled that these guys have no interest in buying DP's out in the off season.

Its also why I was always skeptical that signing Melleberg for 3 years was a good idea. I was happy when that died.

OgtheDim
09-21-2012, 12:29 PM
I'd called the O'Dea signing a bit of good news.

I'd also call the win against the tired Panamanians a bit of good news.

Wull
09-21-2012, 12:34 PM
when you consider that we got O'Dea after the league refused Mellberg, I wouldn't call it good news per se (yes, he's better than we've got but he wasn't what we needed). I'd say the last good news is that we finally have a maximum expiry date on that weasel cochrane though hopefully he'll be gone a lot sooner

james
09-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Dome game. Went to shit after that!

lobo
09-22-2012, 01:14 AM
urggh another two over-hyped Canadian players. Might be best to see how they develop over the next season or two before waving that banner.

wow. i am regularly stunned at the hate for canadian players by so many here. blows me away. really. have you no national pride?

prizby
09-22-2012, 01:12 PM

either they get re-signed or they get released...i think its good news that they are signed; call them over-hyped all you want, but they have received senior callups

Chevy
09-22-2012, 04:34 PM
How about Milos' healthy triplets? Best news of the season.

jabbronies
09-22-2012, 10:07 PM
wow. i am regularly stunned at the hate for canadian players by so many here. blows me away. really. have you no national pride?

of course I have national pride. Just because I don't jump on the Canadian player bandwagon, doesn't mean I don't have nation pride. The two are completely separate.

jabbronies
09-22-2012, 10:11 PM
either they get re-signed or they get released...i think its good news that they are signed; call them over-hyped all you want, but they have received senior callups

Nana Attakora also got senior callups and was also over-hyped when he played here. He just spent over 9 months without a club.
Anyways, I hope they do well. Not sure if playing on TFC will help their development though.

OgtheDim
09-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Now that I've had time to think about it....

The highlight of the season was the cat.

ag futbol
09-23-2012, 10:53 AM
I think we should count ourselves lucky that they are on our team, and Canadian, considering that makes it harder for management to make bone-headed decisions like trade them away.

I wouldn't say they are saviors but they do represent what we need a lot more of: cheap talent, depth, and in Morgan's case, a legit starter who isn't earning that much. Henry's only 19 as well, that's incredibly young for a defender who has nearly 30 caps for the team. It might take him a year or two before he is ready to be in the first eleven, but he has potential to be a great player.

Cashcleaner
09-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Well, at the time I was fairly excited with the Hassli signing. Obviously I now know I set my expectations a little too high, but I was happy with the announcement when it was made.

Before that, I guess I'd have to say the Champions League game against LA at the Rogers Centre.

jabbronies
09-23-2012, 12:19 PM
I think we should count ourselves lucky that they are on our team, and Canadian, considering that makes it harder for management to make bone-headed decisions like trade them away.

I wouldn't say they are saviors but they do represent what we need a lot more of: cheap talent, depth, and in Morgan's case, a legit starter who isn't earning that much. Henry's only 19 as well, that's incredibly young for a defender who has nearly 30 caps for the team. It might take him a year or two before he is ready to be in the first eleven, but he has potential to be a great player.

I agree with the bolded part for sure.
I say over-hyped because calling the signing of two depth players as "bright spots to the season" seems a bit premature in hyping up their abilities.
Decent signings based on what they are now - sure; bright spots to the teams future or even to this season - I can't agree, not yet. They are both too raw.