PDA

View Full Version : Quotes made by TFC management & coaching staff

tfcmanu
09-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Would like to see all the quotes made in media or TFC and all the broken promises by the club.

Anselmi: "We have to get this right, for the fans"

Cochrane: "We want to finish in the top 10 of the conference".

Paul Mariner: " He’s got the best part of 10 months left and there’s a lot of (soccer) that has got to be played "

ryan
09-18-2012, 08:38 AM
i think this thread idea is great, could even be stickied. this way we can hash out our rage at their stupidity in here and try and tone down how it gobbles up most other thread topics.

:)

narduch
09-18-2012, 08:38 AM
"We have to get this right" - Tom Anselmi, also Earl Cochrane in his recent interview during the match on TSN.

"Its all about supply and demand" - Tom Anselmi

"Our goal is to have the best front office in MLS" - Tom Anselmi

tfcmanu
09-18-2012, 08:46 AM
We should take some quotes from this thread and make 2 stick signs for the remaining games. :rolleyes:

jabbronies
09-18-2012, 08:49 AM
We’re going to move as quickly as we can but we’re going to wait and find the right person and that person will build the team and we’re on with it
Tom Anselmi, October 2010

Our job is real simple now, It’s to deliver them a product they can be proud of, give them something to cheer about. We’re going to turn it around.
Tom Anselmi, October 2010

Fort York Redcoat
09-18-2012, 08:50 AM
For credibility and accountability reasons I'd leave the media out of it. While some suspect their ties to the FO those are no more than suspicions.

Stick to quotes from FO that need to be accounted for.

jabbronies
09-18-2012, 08:55 AM
We wanted to establish a management team that is committed to the way the club wants to play, has an international perspective, knows Major League Soccer and believes in the potential of Toronto FC
Tom Anselmi, January 2011

narduch
09-18-2012, 08:56 AM
"Dwayne is not going on trial with Celtic or any other club" - Earl Cochrane - December 2010

"As of today, Joao Plata is still a Toronto FC player" - Earl Cochrane - July 2012

Suds
09-18-2012, 09:02 AM
“We’ve had four years and I think we’ve had lots of patience by our fans,” Anselmi said the day Toronto was awarded this year’s MLS Cup title game. “Now it’s show-up time. We’ve got to take the next step this year.”

Tom Anselmi - Sept 2010

Ajax TFC
09-18-2012, 09:05 AM
"I played for sir Bobby Robson!"
- Paul Mariner describing his tactics

__wowza
09-18-2012, 09:05 AM
We should take some quotes from this thread and make 2 stick signs for the remaining games. :rolleyes:

i dont know if you're joking or not, but this would be a fantastic idea!!

tfcleeds
09-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Tom Anselmi: "Sports is cyclical. The plan now is to get on the right side of the cycle".

tfcleeds
09-18-2012, 09:24 AM
Tom Anselmi (town hall meeting, Oct 2010 - paraphrased): "We don't look at other teams in MLS for our pricing schemes. We base prices on entertainment alternatives in Toronto". (if someone has his verbatim quote, please post it)

Pookie
09-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Cochrane: "We want to finish in the top 10 of the conference".

This was really funny to me. Not sure if many caught this or not but Cochrane originally said top 10 then corrected himself to say top 5, in the conference. Funny of course because there are only 10 teams in our conference.

(I suspect he was a little nervous on air)

tfcleeds
09-18-2012, 09:45 AM
^That, or it was a freudian slip...but people can come to their own conclusions on that. ;)

nfitz
09-18-2012, 09:54 AM
^That, or it was a freudian slip...Surely, the slip was top 10 in the league, versus top 10 in the conference. The intent was clear, to be in the top half. Not sure why there's need to examine any further.

ryan
09-18-2012, 09:55 AM
"When it doubt, get it out"
-Mariner

tfcmanu
For credibility and accountability reasons I'd leave the media out of it. While some suspect their ties to the FO those are no more than suspicions.

Stick to quotes from FO that need to be accounted for.

Mods....I agree take Media out of title

ryan
Surely, the slip was top 10 in the league, versus top 10 in the conference. The intent was clear, to be in the top half. Not sure why there's need to examine any further.

Top 10 in the league doesn't qualify one for the playoffs.

Then again, when has TFC brass ever paid attention to the fine print on anything?

narduch
09-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Surely, the slip was top 10 in the league, versus top 10 in the conference. The intent was clear, to be in the top half. Not sure why there's need to examine any further.

Its actually pretty sad that our goal is to squeak into the playoffs, and not to be one of the strongest clubs in the league and a perennial title challenger.

Belfast_Boy
09-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Tom Anselmi (town hall meeting, Oct 2010 - paraphrased): "We don't look at other teams in MLS for our pricing schemes. We base prices on entertainment alternatives in Toronto". (if someone has his verbatim quote, please post it)

yeah they look at Leaf and Raptor prices. FFS! that's why it's so frigging expensive!

Carts
09-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Aron Winter: "...this team is good enough to make the playoffs..."
That team started 0-9... :facepalm:

tfcmanu
i dont know if you're joking or not, but this would be a fantastic idea!!

No joke, It would be a good Idea...Messages in Black and white 2 sticks and old bed sheet. HAHA:)

narduch
yeah they look at Leaf and Raptor prices. FFS! that's why it's so frigging expensive!

Based on current demand, they need to start looking at Rock prices.

Beach_Red
09-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Its actually pretty sad that our goal is to squeak into the playoffs, and not to be one of the strongest clubs in the league and a perennial title challenger.

What's really sad is that after this many years we still can't manage to squeeze into the playoffs.

Belfast_Boy
09-18-2012, 10:01 AM

This is GOLD Jerry!

cmonyoureds
09-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Paul Mariner - "we're only 4 players away" 2012 (in reference to team sitting dead last with two winless in 9 streaks)
Paul Mariner - "some minor tweaks" 2012 (in reference to team sitting dead last with two winless in 9 streaks)
Paul Mariner - "one of the best finishers in the modern era" 2012 (about wiederman)
Paul Mariner - "F you fans" (interpretation of post game gesture in direction of supporters)

Tom Anselmi - "we didn't have the advantage of an academy that every other expansion team did" 2012

Paul Mariner - "I'll trade you to the last placed team and let you burn in the desert" (alleged by former DP) (not realizing we are the last placed team and not located in the desert?)

Pookie
09-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Tom Anselmi: "Aron will oversee our entire soccer operation and set the soccer direction of Toronto FC. Paul will be responsible for our club's scouting, player acquisition, player development and our Academy."

Funny because...

Paul Mariner: "As the director of player development you can only do so much. I had no say on team selection, no say on formations and no say on anything to do with the field. Now we're going to start to move."

tfcleeds
09-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Surely, the slip was top 10 in the league, versus top 10 in the conference. The intent was clear, to be in the top half. Not sure why there's need to examine any further.Indeed, there is no need to examine it further....hence the smiley at the end of the post.

Belfast_Boy
09-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Based on current demand, they need to start looking at Rock prices.

if we are talking quality then they have to look at 9 year old girls teams.

tfcmanu
09-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Toronto provides the perfect backdrop for the world's No. 1 sport, given our city's diversity and affinity for soccer. (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/quote/torontoprovidestheperfectbackdropforthe) ~ Tom Anselmi

Really:
af·fin·i·ty (http://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gif-fhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gifnhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gif-thttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/emacr.gif)
n. pl. af·fin·i·ties 1. A natural attraction, liking, or feeling of kinship. WE HAD A NATURAL ATTRACTION WHAT HAPPENED?
2. Relationship by marriage. _ WE ARE BREAKING UP, BUT I STILL LOVE YOU
3. An inherent similarity between persons or things. See Synonyms at likeness (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/likeness).
4. Biology A relationship or resemblance in structure between species that suggests a common origin.
5. Immunology The attraction between an antigen and an antibody.
6. Chemistry An attraction or force between particles that causes them to combine.- WE ARE NOT ATTRACTED TO YOU ANYMORE, WE LOVE THE BEAUTIFUL GAME!

This is an exciting day for soccer fans in Toronto who can now enjoy great quality soccer and have a team they can call their own. Toronto provides the perfect backdrop for the world's number one sport given our city's diversity and affinity for soccer. We're committed to making Toronto FC and Major League Soccer a success. (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/quote/thisisanexcitingdayforsoccerfansin) ~ Tom Anselmi

- QUALITY SOCCER??????...WHAT QUALITY SOCCER!

"WE'RE COMMITTED TO MAKING TORONTO FC & MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER A SUCCESS"......BIG FAIL

leafsman
09-18-2012, 10:26 AM
anyone know the exact quote when mariner said no frills football, another great one.

narduch
09-18-2012, 10:27 AM
anyone know the exact quote when mariner said no frills football, another great one.

I believe he said that during one of the in game interviews. Don't know the exact wording. A good one for this thread though.

tfcleeds
09-18-2012, 10:29 AM
I was away for awhile - what game did Mariner provide the "f you" gesture at the end?

tfcmanu
09-18-2012, 10:31 AM
I believe he said that during one of the in game interviews. Don't know the exact wording. A good one for this thread though.

NO FRILLS FOOTBALL!!!!

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/09/injury-hit-tfc-cant-cope-kc

cmonyoureds
09-18-2012, 10:38 AM
I was away for awhile - what game did Mariner provide the "f you" gesture at the end?

Someone on the board has a screen capture of the event as their ID pic. (I think same one I'm thinking of) They might know exact date.
(EDIT - board poster "Super" has the profile pic)

Paul Mariner - It’s all on performance, it always has been, and always will be. (in reference to players he picked, before second 9 game winless streak, before sitting last placed overall)

Ageroo
09-18-2012, 10:55 AM

tvupA564L4c

tfcleeds
09-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Not really related to most of the quotes here, but those who attended the town hall in 2010 will remember this classic Anselmi gem: "Barry MacLean has no fucking influence on me!"

narduch
09-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Those town halls feel like they occured 10 years ago.

I can't believe in the aftermath of that the last 2 seasons occured.

tfcleeds
09-18-2012, 11:09 AM
^Yep. In two years, other than lower average attendances, nothing has changed really. Still facing the exact same issues. Following this team since Day 1 has been like watching endless re-runs of "Groundhog Day".

narduch
09-18-2012, 11:12 AM
^Yep. In two years, other than lower average attendances, nothing has changed really. Still facing the exact same issues. Following this team since Day 1 has been like watching endless re-runs of "Groundhog Day".

In 2 years, we've regressed. We are worse off than we were the day Preki was fired.

And the people who have led the club here all get to stick around.

AL-MO
09-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Best thread on this board in a long time!

narduch
09-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Well, it's all moot since Mariner and Cochrane are both back next year.

The question is who will be above them?

Nobody but Anselmi.

prizby
09-18-2012, 11:26 AM
tvupA564L4c

my understanding is that was towards the colorado bench?

spark
09-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Those town halls feel like they occured 10 years ago.

I can't believe in the aftermath of that the last 2 seasons occured.

I wish I had brought a recorder to those sessions - there were some real gems.

Tom going around to everyone pulling out his six shooter going "We're gonna fucking fix this! Don't you worry!"

Paul Beirne's classic after everyone was bitching about JDG, "You guys wanted him, we gave him to you!"

Does anyone remember Mariner's quote at the half of his first game vs. Kansas City? I could have sworn Godfrey was all "So not a very good half, pretty rough etc..." and Mariner replies to the effect, "Really? I thought we were sensational!"

MG42
09-18-2012, 11:39 AM
"The greatest gift this city gave us was this rabid interest that we have in Toronto FC, you know we got sixteen thousand people with seasons tickets, we got another seventeen thousand on the waiting list, we could expand a lot more..."

Paul Beirne March 2010 OSA interview

lobo
09-18-2012, 11:40 AM
NO FRILLS FOOTBALL!!!!

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/09/injury-hit-tfc-cant-cope-kc

i like the end of that article ...

No frills, no Frings, no points. ... put that on a two-stick ... could be the team's motto for 2013.

tfcleeds
09-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Paul Beirne (paraphrase - 2010): "The buck stops with me". (and voila, two years later, no real discernable progress, still here)

Ajax TFC
09-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Reporter: What system will you employ?
Mariner: (paraphrasing) "I don't really know much about systems, but I played for some brilliant football minds like Sir Bobby Robson who made the 4-3-1-2"

v00d00daddy
09-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Somewhere around June 7th of this year.

Mariner:
“Im a very modest man but I’ve got unbelievable confidence in my own ability,” Mariner said.

“We are better than this, we are 100% better than this.”

LOL

I'm modest...and I'm great....just ask me.

What a loser.

narduch
09-18-2012, 11:56 AM
"The greatest gift this city gave us was this rabid interest that we have in Toronto FC, you know we got sixteen thousand people with seasons tickets, we got another seventeen thousand on the waiting list, we could expand a lot more..."

Paul Beirne March 2010 OSA interview

The funny thing is that I think we've had one sell out at BMO Field since that statement (the LA home game in 2011).

v00d00daddy
09-18-2012, 11:57 AM
Another Mariner gem:

"At the present moment, we've just got to try to change things a little bit," Mariner said. "Only a few minor adjustments need to be made, in my viewpoint. We've got a lot of work to do starting this week. Two very, very big games and very important games. You've just go to wait and see what happens. We're going to get results, it's just that simple."

If the moves he's made in 3 months amount to "a few minor adjustments" I'm afraid to see what an overhaul looks like.

I think I'm gonna make a sign for the last game of the year.

ensco
09-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Winter/Mariner Hiring Press Conference, January 2011 - Tom Anselmi - "We think we've got the right team here now, to do the job"

After beginning 2012 season 0-8, May 2012 - Tom Anselmi - "They need to figure this out"

Auzzy
09-18-2012, 12:11 PM
my understanding is that was towards the colorado bench?

That happened as well, but that was a different game.

EDIT I should note, I haven't watched the posted video. But the "up yours" has been at least twice: once towards the opposing team's bench; and once towards the west stands, whoever that was intended for.

Joe Kool
09-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Paul Beirne's classic after everyone was bitching about JDG, "You guys wanted him, we gave him to you!"

This one is priceless. Turn the blame on the fans for TFC FO decisions? I wonder what else in the past six years is our fault. I was pretty sure until that statement that I was just buying a ticket to show up to the games. I never knew we had so much power to get a guy signed here, as a DP no less. If we had that much influence in player movement and signings why did it stop there?

ag futbol
09-18-2012, 12:28 PM
This one is priceless. Turn the blame on the fans for TFC FO decisions? I wonder what else in the past six years is our fault. I was pretty sure until that statement that I was just buying a ticket to show up to the games. I never knew we had so much power to get a guy signed here, as a DP no less. If we had that much influence in player movement and signings why did it stop there?
It just shows you that we have a gutless management team that has no idea what they are doing.

Making individual signing decisions based on what fans want? ridiculous. And really, how are we any different from so many other pro sports teams out there? I'm sure teams like the Lakers, Yankees, Patriots, etc... all have 10x the armchair quarterbacks TFC does, I don't think their management turns around after the season and says: "you told us to do it!". People incharge of these teams are paid to be leaders and bring the team success... not aggregate opinion and manage the club by broad consensus.

Here's how most teams work:
manager does poor job > fans get angry > ownership looks at situation objectively and decides what to do

At TFC:
manager does poor job > fans get angry > ownership gets scared of fans getting angry > management tosses fan base a cookie to deflect responsibility then uses excuse of "we only did what you told us to"

tfcmanu
09-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Earl Cochrane: “As of today Joao Plata is still a Toronto FC player.”

http://typicaltfc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Joao-Plata-introduced-at-LDU-Quito-e1343077119174.jpg

tfcmanu
09-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Mariner - “(Is he going) on holiday, a vacation … maybe he wants to be the manager so he can tell me what’s going on,” head coach Paul Mariner said after praising his side for the hard fought draw. “I love it when 19-year-old kids come in and tell the press what’s going on.”

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/TorontoFC/2012/06/30/19938906.html

Pookie
09-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Just months after buying Plata's contract and signing him...Cochrane : "we have been shopping him (Plata) for months"... Did you even take the price tag off before you put him up on kijiji?

Mariner: "we are not in a panic mode, we are looking for long term solutions" ... Said days after he traded a first round pick for Hassli to replace the injured Danny Koevermans

Nuvinho
09-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Didn't Earl say on the weekend, they need 4 more starters and another 4 more bench guys....in his words it wasn't alot of players they need to be competitive.

Torontotonto
09-18-2012, 02:26 PM
This thread is great.
I would love to see every quote posted somewhere during the last game.

g:D

tfcmanu
09-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Mariner - “It’s all about analyzing what’s going to be around next year,” - WHAT IS THERE TO ANALYZE , YOU CAN'T COACH OR MANAGE!

Mariner - “There’s one thing that you’ve got to have in a football team. And that’s fight,” Mariner continued. “If you don’t fight for the right to play, if you’re not fighting for your own personal pride first and foremost, then that’s a problem.” - WHAT FIGHT YOUR TEAM IS THE WORST TEAM IN THE WORLD DID YOU FORGET PLAYERS QUIT ON YOU!...How Sad MY TFC

http://www.thespec.com/sports/article/798454--manager-irate-as-toronto-fc-loses-again-misses-playoffs-again-after-chicago-loss

Mariner - “Whatever it takes to win a football match, that should be our mantra,” he said, noting he was having to field “fringe players” still learning their trade. - I GUESS HOOFBALL IS OKAY!

Mariner - “I don’t like people diving in,” he said. “If (you) dive in then you make a problem for (your) teammate and that’s irresponsible. I don’t appreciate it.” THROWING FRINGS UNDER THE BUS!

:facepalm:

mastermixer
09-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Didnt Anselmi say at the Mariner hiring that he was "only responsible for hiring the last two coaches"?

Edit: found the article http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/06/07/grange_tfc_coaching_change_ownership_group/

When Sportsnet's John Molinaro brought up the seven coaches in six years figure, Anselmi was quick to correct: "I've only hired two of them."

another gem quote from that press conference:

"I don't coach, I don't play, I don't do any of that stuff." And I bet you never have either.

AL-MO
09-18-2012, 03:49 PM

If people want to work together to make some message banners and two sticks with these quotes I (along with some other skilled supporters) are interested in this.

I think if we made as many as possible, they could held up and displayed all over BMO.

yellowfellow
09-18-2012, 03:54 PM
I hate making hockey references. But, this is happening in Leafs land...

"Francois Allaire is not going anywhere," Burke said last March. "I think we have the best goalie coach on the planet."

Burke said Tuesday. "Was there interference from the staff as he said there was? Yes. But it was done reluctantly and it was done to change elements of our goaltending that was sub-par. The position has evolved in the last three to five years,"

It runs in the company...

Redcoe15
09-18-2012, 05:33 PM
New banner/two stick:

Everyday is Groundhog Day with TFC!

prizby
09-18-2012, 06:33 PM
If people want to work together to make some message banners and two sticks with these quotes I (along with some other skilled supporters) are interested in this.

I think if we made as many as possible, they could held up and displayed all over BMO.

flip me a message of when and where and i'd be down

prizby
09-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Last Sunday TFC had Coaches open house sessions at BMO, Mariner opened the day with:

"sorry my voice is a little hoarse today, yesterday i was out here on the field yelling at these idiots"

(off the Toronto Sun comments section, but I believe this came from 4everRed who's on the boards here)

tfcleeds
09-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Last Sunday TFC had Coaches open house sessions at BMO, Mariner opened the day with:

"sorry my voice is a little hoarse today, yesterday i was out here on the field yelling at these idiots"

(off the Toronto Sun comments section, but I believe this came from 4everRed who's on the boards here)

2-3 other people who were present at the coaching seminar also confirmed it.

Voodooman
09-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Oh man this brought me a great laugh. Thanks guys

Alonso
09-18-2012, 07:18 PM

This has the makings of a great two stick!

Alonso
09-18-2012, 07:20 PM
In 2 years, we've regressed. We are worse off than we were the day Preki was fired.

And the people who have led the club here all get to stick around.

And promoted to better positions in the organization!

It's like the twilight zone.

Alonso
09-18-2012, 07:43 PM
New banner/two stick:

haha, you beat me to it.

I think this particular version needs work though... :D

Alonso
09-18-2012, 07:45 PM
2-3 other people who were present at the coaching seminar also confirmed it.

If he's treating these players like idiots, we are certainly doomed.

All hope is lost.

Dave67
09-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Still the one that annoys me the most Sept 2010.
Tom Anselmi 'We set prices according to the market in North America. It's what it's about here, driven by supply and demand.'

How's that working for you now Tom?

Unfortunately I can't find the greatest quote ever 'Simple economics here folks, supply and demand'

I'm 99.9% sure it was made here by mlsintoronto but I just can't find it. Anyone still have it?

nfitz
09-18-2012, 08:21 PM
How's that working for you now Tom?If Tom was being truthful, then we should be in for more price reductions or some discounts this year then!

TOBOR !
09-18-2012, 08:22 PM
that`s an idea for a banner : Supply and Demand

or maybe `Marketing Forces at Work`

or, like this :

SUPPLY
DEMAND

Redcoe15
09-18-2012, 08:43 PM
haha, you beat me to it.

I think this particular version needs work though... :D

We could get a blank TFC jersey and put on the back of it FEBRUARY 2 ;)

Pookie
09-18-2012, 08:52 PM
Earl Cochrane (Nov 25, 2010) -
“We are very happy to be able to bring Nathan (Sturgis) to the club,” said Earl Cochrane, Toronto FC interim director of soccer. “He is a player who will be able to make an immediate impact in our team next season, but is also young enough to play a role here in the long term. We studied the options that would likely be available to us with our first round pick in the MLS SuperDraft and made the decision that the addition of Nathan is of greater benefit to our squad.”

Footnote - TFC traded the pick to Vancouver who took Michael Nanchoff with the pick. Also available at the time of Vancouver's selection was Will Bruin, CJ Saprong and Michael Farfan. Sturgis appeared in just 14 games for Toronto before being dealt to Houston for a Conditional Draft Pick in 2014. Looks like you needed to do more studying Earl.

Shakes McQueen
09-18-2012, 09:22 PM
I think this club is 11 or 12 good players, and a decent manager away from competing for the playoffs. You can quote me on that.

- Scott

backbeat
09-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Mariner's asked, "How much are you going to change things with the team as far as you've seen to be successful?"

Mariner's response, "Not a lot, I think we're close up in what we want in the building. I think it's there for all to see that we've just got to adjust what we're doing and I'm talking 10 or 15 yard movements of players, I'm not talking about reinventing the wheel. It just going to be an educational process for a few days, not rocket science.

Darlofletch
09-18-2012, 11:05 PM
anselmi quotes from winter fired mariner hired conference

"we've been really lucky since day 1. We've got this amazing fanbase here, but we haven't delivered the goods and you can't take that for granted..."

"Ultimately I'm held accountable to our board, but that's a whole organisation, not just a soccer club"

"I talk to the league all the time, they think we're a great soccer market, a great franchise, a great organisation,. all that sort of stuff..."

"Ultimately, the buck stops with me....my job is to put the right people in place, I don't coach, I don't play, I don't do any of that stuff"

"...we had a free pass for a few years as an expansion franchise, and now it's time to step up to the plate..."

brad
09-19-2012, 12:01 AM
This thread is pure, depressing comedy.

Anyone have any good quotes from the MoJo days?

ensco
09-19-2012, 12:33 AM
^The story that really started it all. Half a dozen doozies in this one:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/08/24/sp-torontofc-dichio-injury.html

tfcmanu
09-19-2012, 07:44 AM
This thread is pure, depressing comedy.

Anyone have any good quotes from the MoJo days?

http://www.quotesdaddy.com/author/Mo+Johnston

http://www.successories.com/iquote/author/24672/mo-johnston-quotes/1

ryan
09-19-2012, 09:22 AM
here's a good banner for us.

"We're only 1 Front Office away from making the playoffs"

Stress
09-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Not really a direct quote but I think it’s still relevant:

Lately I’ve been using the tube packaging thing from my season tickets to hold extra rolls of toilet paper in my bathroom (I think this is appropriate given the shite quality of the organization at the moment). Anyway, I laughed the other day when I saw that part of the whiteboard strategy background notes were “technical” and “sprint w/ the ball”.

tfcmanu
09-19-2012, 03:31 PM
MLSE - "we're looking at our pricing and it's going to be based on loyalty."...LOYALTY MY ASS! :facepalm:

AL-MO
09-19-2012, 03:48 PM

Love it!

trane
09-19-2012, 05:02 PM
I think this club is 11 or 12 good players, and a decent manager away from competing for the playoffs. You can quote me on that.

- Scott

Plus a decent bench off course.

trane
09-19-2012, 05:02 PM
Love it!

That has to be made.

tfcmanu
09-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Toronto FC's Paul Mariner sees the team turning its fortunes around in the near future:

“Every coach needs time. I promise you, we’re not far away.”

“I completely understand how the fans feel. It’s up to us to put it right.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/article/1255243--toronto-fc-hope-for-tfc-as-embarrassing-mls-season-wraps-up-paul-mariner-says

tfcmanu
09-21-2012, 11:37 AM
“No, I’ve got a black cat at home, I love black cats,” the Toronto FC head coach said. “And for the record, it’s a she and her name is Stuart, named after Stuart Pearce [a former England international like Mariner].

http://m.mlssoccer.com/ccl/news/article/2012/08/29/ccl-mariner-laments-late-lapses-judgement-tfc

tfcmanu
09-23-2012, 10:05 PM
“I can tell you that I’m pissed off,” Earl Cochrane, Toronto FC’s director of team and player operations, told the Sun.

“I’m incredibly angry at the way things have gone ... I can just get on with the business of making this better.”
It certainly can’t get any worse.

RESIGN PLEASE!

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/21/reds-director-incredibly-angry-about-season

spe18
09-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Here's one from when Mo Johnston and Preki were let go (by Tom Anselmi):

"In hindsight we had the wrong two guys, and now we've got to do a real thorough search and find the right guy to lead this club, and really have a vision for where this club wants to go next, and what it needs from a total infrastructure standpoint."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/09/14/mls-toronto-fc-0/

tfcleeds
09-24-2012, 07:14 AM
“No, I’ve got a black cat at home, I love black cats,” the Toronto FC head coach said. “And for the record, it’s a she and her name is Stuart, named after Stuart Pearce [a former England international like Mariner].

http://m.mlssoccer.com/ccl/news/article/2012/08/29/ccl-mariner-laments-late-lapses-judgement-tfc

So this is the reason we've been terrible!

ryan
09-26-2012, 08:15 AM

heard a rumour this is being made into a banner. if so, and between the V's checkered flags and FYR's "keep calm" shirt, I need to start charging royalties.

Fort York Redcoat
09-26-2012, 08:28 AM
heard a rumour this is being made into a banner. if so, and between the V's checkered flags and FYR's "keep calm" shirt, I need to start charging royalties.

Or just thank peeps for appreciating your obvious genius...and start tallying the endless incoming praise. Not that that pays the bills but fame is something, Ryan.g:D

TOBOR !
09-26-2012, 09:25 AM

You've got a spectacular aura about... isn't that enough ?

Auzzy
09-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Mariner last night, about Terry Dunfield: "He’s the ultimate box-to-box player at the present moment."

Umm, yeah, OK, maybe against that team last night, but, hmmm.....

ryan
09-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Or just thank peeps for appreciating your obvious genius...and start tallying the endless incoming praise. Not that that pays the bills but fame is something, Ryan.g:D

I just had a similar conversation with my Director, I said, "I appreciate you applauding my skills and accomplishments, but thank you emails don't pay the bills sir"

Ugh, my life sucks.

Chevy
09-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Mariner last night, about Terry Dunfield: "He’s the ultimate box-to-box player at the present moment."

Umm, yeah, OK, maybe against that team last night, but, hmmm.....

With the Ultimate Box-To-Box Player AND the Greatest Finisher of the Modern Era, why again do we suck donkey balls?

tfcmanu
09-26-2012, 12:57 PM
“I thought his passing was fantastic, I thought his game management was incredible,” Mariner said of Dunfield’s performance last night.

bones
09-26-2012, 01:12 PM
New banner/two stick:

How about simply "Groundhog YEAR"

DangerRed
09-26-2012, 01:33 PM
By Kurtis Larson, Toronto Sun

TORONTO - It’s the type of fiery response supporters have been waiting for.
“I can tell you that I’m pissed off,” Earl Cochrane, Toronto FC’s director of team and player operations, told the Sun.
“I’m incredibly angry at the way things have gone ... I can just get on with the business of making this better."

I have NOT been waiting for this type of response, Kurt. I've been angry since that night in 2009 when we came a point within the playoffs. Since then, we have slid ever deeper into shit, while the FO has shoveled it at us at a steady pace.

So you'll pardon me when I say that I don't give the slightest of fucks what Earl Cochrane, who has been there, making decisions, as part of this front office, has to say about being angry. "The way things have gone?" "Things" don't just "go" in football. People make things go a certain way. People like you, Earl.

Super
09-26-2012, 02:08 PM
By Kurtis Larson, Toronto Sun

TORONTO - It’s the type of fiery response supporters have been waiting for.
“I’m incredibly angry at the way things have gone ... I can just get on with the business of making this better."

I have NOT been waiting for this type of response, Kurt. I've been angry since that night in 2009 when we came a point within the playoffs. Since then, we have slid ever deeper into shit, while the FO has shoveled it at us at a steady pace.

So you'll pardon me when I say that I don't give the slightest of fucks what Earl Cochrane, who has been there, making decisions, as part of this front office, has to say about being angry. "The way things have gone?" "Things" don't just "go" in football. People make things go a certain way. People like you, Earl.

I don't get this either. Cochrane is pissed off that he, and others, fucked it up so badly? Maybe he should resign then. Clearly he's not doing a very good job.

reggie
09-26-2012, 02:14 PM
oh boy...where do i sign up for next season...to earl the travel agent,can you find me a cheap flight to LA.

Fort York Redcoat
09-26-2012, 02:39 PM
oh boy...where do i sign up for next season...to earl the travel agent,can you find me a cheap flight to LA.

Wait that sounds like you want to blame him both ways. Do you think all he was was a travel agent? If so how is he responsible for the present mess? If you think he had a hand in how things are he was certainly more than a travel agent. I'm not one to let sense get in the way of a joke but this seems to be an important point.

sulfur
09-26-2012, 04:11 PM
By all accounts, while he worked with the CSA, he was a glorified travel agent (finding hotels, ensuring amenities, etc).

I cannot confirm any of that, just what I've heard (many times) over the last few years... all hearsay of course. :)

nfitz
09-26-2012, 05:08 PM
I cannot confirm any of that, just what I've heard (many times) over the last few years... all hearsay of course.Hearsay?

ensco
09-26-2012, 05:20 PM
^No problem. According to Rule 805, hearsay included within hearsay is not excluded under the hearsay rule if each part of the combined statements conforms with an exception to the hearsay rule provided in these rules.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Federal_Rules_of_Evidence/Hearsay#Rule_805._Hearsay_Within_Hearsay

tfcleeds
09-26-2012, 10:34 PM
By all accounts, while he worked with the CSA, he was a glorified travel agent (finding hotels, ensuring amenities, etc).

I cannot confirm any of that, just what I've heard (many times) over the last few years... all hearsay of course. :)

Phew....and to think all I thought he'd done was fetch coffee for the higher ups at the CSA. I'm so relieved he has the track record to lead us to glory! :)

narduch
09-27-2012, 07:30 AM
Cochrane isn't only a glorified travel agent.

He also has PR experience (with DCU and the CSA). Which makes his DeRo and Plata fuck ups all the more alarming. Shouldn't PR people know how to spin a situation without making themselves look either stupid or a liar?

tfcmanu
09-27-2012, 12:14 PM
"Join us at BMO Field and witness the authentic football experience, the atmosphere & share the passion and the chants"

"authentic football experience, the atmosphere & share the passion and the chants"

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/promo/ejx87e?brand=torontofc

ArmenJBX
09-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Well, shit, why didn't you say so earlier! I feel much better putting an entire MLS franchise at the hands of a guy who's not just a travel agent, but has PR experience too! That changes everything ;)

tfcleeds
09-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Yep, time to add the "No Fee Frenzy!" to this list.

spe18
09-28-2012, 10:22 AM
"Join us at BMO Field and witness the authentic football experience, the atmosphere & share the passion and the chants"

"authentic football experience, the atmosphere & share the passion and the chants"

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/promo/ejx87e?brand=torontofc

I have an idea! How about if we don't bring in the drums for the final 2 home games?!!

Auzzy
09-28-2012, 01:36 PM
Yep, time to add the "No Fee Frenzy!" to this list.

"No Fee Frenzy" with a $5.25 Order Processing Fee. I shit you not.

Carts
09-28-2012, 01:54 PM
"No Fee Frenzy" with a $5.25 Order Processing Fee. I shit you not.

Ya but I mean, processing! Surely to God we all know they need to be compensated for PROCESSING!!! :facepalm:

g:D

TOBOR !
09-28-2012, 02:02 PM
NFF = "No Fees Frenzy" now ?

I thought it was for "No Frills Football".

Shee-it.

I wonder waht else it can mean ?

Parkdale
09-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Following this team since Day 1 has been like watching endless re-runs of "Groundhog Day".

dude... that's deep. Groundhog day was an endless loop, and watching an endless loop of an endless loop.....

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/22926735.jpg

Auzzy
09-29-2012, 10:04 PM
“We all feel the pressure to win. It’s all about team success. That is our priority.” Tom Anselmi, Sept. 2012

tfcmanu
10-01-2012, 08:47 AM
NO SHIT SHERLOCK.......Amarikwa said on Henry. “He’s a world-class player, he’s a DP and he gets paid big bucks, that’s just what he does, that’s what he’s known to do. And you know you sometimes just have to take your hat off to him.”

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/09/amarikwa-henry-world-class

Hitcho
10-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Although we loved him for it at the time, Jimmy B promising the fans play off football in season two after the home closer in 2--7 and THAT goal by Danny.

So well intentioned, but such a millstone to carry ever since!

Hitcho
10-01-2012, 09:48 PM
There must be some good Mo quotes as well, no?

Something about a 25 year plan? :facepalm:

Carts
10-02-2012, 10:16 AM

Shee-it.

In 2015, at the rate we're going, it'll mean 'No F*cking Fans'...

Canary10
10-02-2012, 11:38 AM
I think we should call this thread #shitTFCsays.

Joe Kool
10-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Regarding Mo's return as coach in 2008...

“Being an expansion team in any sport is always a challenge, and we feel Mo has done a sound job of identifying talent and bringing in players who could become the foundation of our franchise,” said Tom Anselmi, executive vice-president and chief operating officer of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd.
“He has brought his passion for the game to our fans, and has been the inspiration behind a club that has taken the Toronto sports scene by storm. We look forward to building upon that in the coming year.”

“I’m ecstatic. I love being in Toronto–it’s a great city,” said Johnston. “It’s a terrific place to work; the fans are incredible. They’re a tremendous motivation for us looking ahead to next year. Soccer is thriving in Toronto, and it’s only going to get bigger and better.”

mastermixer
10-02-2012, 11:56 AM
TFC's Eckersley: "It's been the worst season imaginable"

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/10/01/tfcs-eckersley-its-been-worst-season-imaginable

Yeoman
10-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Prices had crept too high over the past few years. We’ve been rebuilding our team and we’ve had some erosion of our fan base. So I’d rather sell 100 tickets at 10 bucks than 10 tickets at 100 bucks.
-Tom Anselmi

justin
10-02-2012, 09:17 PM

Shee-it.

No Fault Found

TFC management mantra.

Alonso
10-02-2012, 09:35 PM

Yeah I nominated it in the RPB members area.

Gave you the credit for it though, so no plagiarism accusations please. g:D

You're clearly on a roll Ryan.

Any more goodies up your sleeve that you care to impart?

[NBF]
10-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Toronto FC's Mariner: I have the best job in the world!!!!!!!!

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/10/03/toronto-fcs-mariner-i-have-best-job-league

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/league/files/imagecache/620x350/image_nodes/2012/07/mariner.jpg

Getty Images

TORONTO – As far as Paul Mariner is concerned, he has the best job in the league.
“By miles,” the Toronto FC head coach told MLSsoccer.com after training on Wednesday.

Mariner took over from Aron Winter on June 7 and, as far as he knows, will return next season.

“Absolutely, that’s my understanding,” Mariner said at the club’s new training facility in Downsview Park. “I’m working diligently now behind the scenes. The NCAA scouting is almost done, just got to go see a few more games. The international scouting is well under way. Our preseason is already done. As far as I’m concerned, it’s full steam ahead.”

Toronto FC (5-19-7) will miss the playoffs for the sixth year in a row and have not won in league play since July 18. Designated Players Danny Koevermans (knee) and Torsten Frings (hip) are out for the season after surgery. A third DP, Eric Hassli has an ankle injury and is doubtful for Saturday’s game against D.C. United (15-10-6), who currently occupy a playoff spot.

Mariner knows he has a big job ahead of him and the challenge makes it “extremely appealing.”

“This is a very big job,” Mariner said. “Sometimes when people sit in their armchairs watching the game, they just think it’s sort of the 90 minutes that you’ve got to deal with.

“But there’s a lot more to it with the Academy and this magnificent training center. For me, it’s the best job in Major League Soccer.
The new board are fantastic, the support group around it is sensational, so why wouldn’t you want to be head coach here?”

The Reds were 1-9 when Mariner took over and have been 4-10-7 since. They are also 2-1 in the CONCACAF Champions League group stage.

“Even though I’ve only been in this job a few months, I’ve felt, and even going back to my New England days [as assistant coach], this is a big market, this is a big stage, the fans are demanding, which is fine, there’s a lot of media interest, a lot of spotlight on this club,” Mariner said. “Some people can handle it, some people can’t handle it. I know I can handle it, but the jury is out on whether the players can handle it.”

And starting next spring, Mariner says, he and TFC will be ready for another go.

“We’re not that far away on the field,” he said. “We’ve got to get some of our big players fit and back in business and then we just add five max, four definitely, and we’re in business.”

http://www.pileup.com/babyart/blog-images2/explode.gif

tfcmanu
10-04-2012, 08:21 AM
^INCREDIBLE^:facepalm:

moralis
10-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Hi Paul Mariner, here's some advice: It's about PRIORITIES

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/10/04/fcds-clavijo-returns-south-american-scouting-trip

narduch
10-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Hi Paul Mariner, here's some advice: It's about PRIORITIES

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/10/04/fcds-clavijo-returns-south-american-scouting-trip

Don't worry, I'm sure in the winter we will get stories about Mariner's scouting trip in Bermuda being a success.

v00d00daddy
10-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Catching up with Paul Mariner today: http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2012/10/03/paul-mariner-october-3-2012

about the NYRB game

- he thinks TFC was the better team in the 2nd half and 4-1 didn't reflect what TFC did.
- "we did okay but we didn't win. Didn't get a point"
- last 2 games are "massive" games to get results to make the fans proud of the team.

- Hassli is very doubtful for Saturday. Didn't train with the team today.
- Quincy Amerikwa has been fantastic and a constant threat to defenders.

LOL

Wow

Ajax TFC
10-04-2012, 07:59 PM
- last 2 games are "massive" games to get results to make the fans proud of the team.

that's an insult to the fans who had to endure this shitshow of a season to think that there's anything he can do in two games to make them "proud". How about win them as an apology.

ryan
10-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Yeah I nominated it in the RPB members area.

Gave you the credit for it though, so no plagiarism accusations please. g:D

You're clearly on a roll Ryan.

Any more goodies up your sleeve that you care to impart?

From 300...

The "This is SPARTA" scene, but put "This is FOOTBALL" and use the guy going down the hole having Mariner's head. Maybe a *HOOF* sound effect for the kick, ala the Adam West Batman days?

Something like this (I'm too apathetic to bother editing it myself lol)

http://scratch.mit.edu/static/projects/PokProductions/1153857_med.png

Joe Kool
10-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Catching up with Paul Mariner today: http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2012/10/03/paul-mariner-october-3-2012

about the NYRB game

- he thinks TFC was the better team in the 2nd half and 4-1 didn't reflect what TFC did.
- "we did okay but we didn't win. Didn't get a point"

- Hassli is very doubtful for Saturday. Didn't train with the team today.
- Quincy Amerikwa has been fantastic and a constant threat to defenders.

LOL

Wow

Can't believe he had the balls to say we were the better team against NY in the 2nd half. Maybe just for the first few minutes of the first half until they got warmed up. If he can't see the problem then the problem can't be fixed.

Don't forget he is also "waiting for some players to step up to the plate". We have been waiting for that for alot longer. Whenever I hear these interviews these days I keep thinking of that Aerosmith song "it's the same ol' story, same ol' song and dance". Winter always said as well he didn't have players "with enough quailty" as well so I guess somehow we are the only team that can't figure this thing out. Always anywhere from 3-8 players away. Errrr....'tis pity.

Wull
10-07-2012, 09:02 AM
"Jeremy (Hall) is normally technically very good" Mariner after the game yesterday

tfcmanu
10-18-2012, 03:36 PM
- Tom Anselmi

“We are going to look at the whole operation and expect recommendations and plans at the end of this season. This is the first full offseason Paul will have and if there’s a need, we’ll look at it. That’s not the issue, the issue is the team needs to get it right.”