PDA

View Full Version : Nwankwo Kanu?

13CP
07-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Just a speculation.
My dad is a Real estate agent and he went to a model home today. He met an agent for Nwankwo Kanu. They talked for a bit and he mentioned that he is trying to get Kanu over to Toronto. Kanu currently is with Portsmouth. Now I don't know much about this guy, not sure how good he is but its just something to work with I guess. His agent made an offer to one of the houses on my street so hopefully there will be more updates to come.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nwankwo_Kanu

profit89
07-15-2008, 05:15 PM
sick... if true

TFC07
07-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Just a speculation.
My dad is a Real estate agent and he went to a model home today. He met an agent for Nwankwo Kanu. They talked for a bit and he mentioned that he is trying to get Kanu over to Toronto. Kanu currently is with Portsmouth. Now I don't know much about this guy, not sure how good he is but its just something to work with I guess. His agent made an offer to one of the houses on my street so hopefully there will be more updates to come.

He was the man back in his Arsenal days.

profit89
07-15-2008, 05:16 PM
here we go again

Rawkus_420
07-15-2008, 05:43 PM
He was the man back in his Arsenal days.

I'd love this as a gunners fan!!!

H Bomb
07-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Well Kanu has done well for himself so how big is the house? If it's real big then maybe you're onto something.

13CP
07-15-2008, 05:51 PM
^ The princess margret house. On the market for $1.9 million. He bought another house for $1.6 million I believe.

Jack
07-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Hmmm...interesting rumour.

Captain Croatia
07-15-2008, 07:07 PM
I thought he just signed a 1-year contract with Portsmouth recently?

Smenge
07-15-2008, 07:34 PM
My uncle is a funeral director. He told me he has received an order for a Jamaican soccer player named jeff that wants to go out in style.

ccopela
07-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Striker Kanu is set to sign a new one-year contract with Portsmouth, with manager Harry Redknapp saying: "As far as I know he's going to sign for another year and I want to keep him here." (1403 BST, Various)

That's from bbc's gossip section

13CP
07-15-2008, 08:30 PM
I read that too, but he hasn't done that yet and his agent says otherwise.

MadMike
07-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Kanu would net mad goals in this league

ManUtd4ever
07-15-2008, 10:05 PM
I would love this move...

etro
07-16-2008, 01:47 AM
I'd love this as a gunners fan!!!

QTF !!

zeelaw
07-16-2008, 06:59 AM
awesome if true.

sully
07-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Just a speculation.

Seems unlikely but any more on this?

ElvistheEvilScotsman
07-16-2008, 12:01 PM
That would be a serious score for us! Not sure how injury prone he is but at 31 its certainly a solid move for TFC for years to come.

TFC Cityboy
07-16-2008, 12:11 PM
at least the Ronaldinho rumours can stop now
;)

tfc_4_ever
07-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Awsome if this is true

Kevvv
07-16-2008, 12:22 PM
I want a canoe.

Northern Soul
07-16-2008, 12:24 PM
I want a canoe.

That would make a good fundraising event - Kanu in a canoe :D

Laurignano
07-16-2008, 12:58 PM
That would make a good fundraising event - Kanu in a canoe :D
LOL.

but on a serious note Toronto obviously needs a striker..so we will see what happends...its july 16th and still nothing has happened.

Kickit09
07-16-2008, 01:04 PM
dont get your hopes up people....again

this place feels like mlsrumors lately

Laurignano
07-16-2008, 01:26 PM
dont get your hopes up people....again

this place feels like mlsrumors lately

Lol I know. I think this board is a bad idea b/c i spend so much time on it.

Dirk Diggler
07-16-2008, 04:10 PM
We couldn't get a CCC calibre player in Huckerby to come to Toronto....what are the chances that we would be able to get an EPL calibre international starter? Lets just sign Dickov first then we'd think about Kanu and players of his quality.

EDIT: In addition, didn't he already sign a new contract with Pompey? I remember hearing last year during the FA Cup final that there was mutual interest in terms of a contract extension.

OneLoveOneEric
07-16-2008, 04:12 PM
There's not a pussy hair's chance that this is true.
But Kanu would be the best forward in the MLS. Bar none.

Jack
07-16-2008, 04:47 PM
We couldn't get a CCC calibre player in Huckerby to come to Toronto....what are the chances that we would be able to get an EPL calibre international starter? Lets just sign Dickov first then we'd think about Kanu and players of his quality.

EDIT: In addition, didn't he already sign a new contract with Pompey? I remember hearing last year during the FA Cup final that there was mutual interest in terms of a contract extension.

There is a big difference between the money Huck was offered and giving Kanu the DP cash.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-16-2008, 04:49 PM
There is a big difference between the money Huck was offered and giving Kanu the DP cash.

Not to mention the difference in players involved

Dirk Diggler
07-16-2008, 04:57 PM

We'd have to offer him some ridiculous DP money to get him to leave a comfortable situation in England. Fact of the matter is that if we couldn't lure an injury prone Championship player looking to retire to Toronto, there is no chance in hell that we would be able to lure an EPL regular away from the best league in the world. Even if Pompey doesn't want him (which I don't think is the case) he would easily garner interest from atleast half the teams in Prem (especially the newly promoted ones like West Brom who have been searching madly for strikers).

Cambridge_Red
07-16-2008, 05:01 PM
Circumstances are different for everyone. Let's wait and see what happends. I have zero expectations, this way I wont be let down if we arent able to work anything out. We need a very good striker but I'm worried we missed our chance already.

Jack
07-16-2008, 05:13 PM
We'd have to offer him some ridiculous DP money to get him to leave a comfortable situation in England. Fact of the matter is that if we couldn't lure an injury prone Championship player looking to retire to Toronto, there is no chance in hell that we would be able to lure an EPL regular away from the best league in the world. Even if Pompey doesn't want him (which I don't think is the case) he would easily garner interest from atleast half the teams in Prem (especially the newly promoted ones like West Brom who have been searching madly for strikers).

I agree. I'm just saying that you can't use Hucks as an example because the DP money can certainly turn someone's head a lot easier than a regular MLS salary.

ExiledRed
07-16-2008, 05:17 PM

The original post if taken as true, means that Kanu is looking at property in Toronto. he is a striker, 31, Nigerian (understands hard baking hot pitches) and exactly the type of player we are looking for. Utter DP fodder for Toronto if you ask me.

Portsmouth just picked up Crouchy (a better striker IMO) which means he has competition there.

Have you any idea the difference between what $1.9 million will get you in Toronto and what $1.9 million will get you in England? btw?
If you have UK money, bringing it to canada is like doubling it's value, and it's not as if living in Portsmouth area is much more fun than living in Toronto.

I really can't see how this connects to Darren Huckerby.

Corpand
07-16-2008, 05:21 PM
I still remember Kanu scoring a hattrick against Chelsea wayy back....havent seen him play recently, how is he?

e_mcarthur89
07-16-2008, 05:31 PM
I still remember Kanu scoring a hattrick against Chelsea wayy back....havent seen him play recently, how is he?

Hasn't been scoring tonnes of goals lately but he would still rip the MLS. On a better level right now than Angel was when he came over I would say.

Dirk Diggler
07-16-2008, 05:35 PM
The original post if taken as true, means that Kanu is looking at property in Toronto. he is a striker, 31, Nigerian (understands hard baking hot pitches) and exactly the type of player we are looking for. Utter DP fodder for Toronto if you ask me.

Portsmouth just picked up Crouchy (a better striker IMO) which means he has competition there.

Have you any idea the difference between what $1.9 million will get you in Toronto and what $1.9 million will get you in England? btw?
If you have UK money, bringing it to canada is like doubling it's value, and it's not as if living in Portsmouth area is much more fun than living in Toronto.

I really can't see how this connects to Darren Huckerby.

The difference in cost of living can be applied to any player playing in Western Europe. Doesn't mean that they would all be interested in playing in North America. Would it make financial sense for him to accept the offer and play in the MLS? If offered DP salary, probably. However, with the same token, it would probably be more financially sensible to play in the Middle East where he can get even more money and the property prices will be even lower.

The way I see it, there could be a number of reasons as to why he's looking at property in Toronto (assuming that the rumour is even true). Maybe he's simply investing in a steadily growing yet stable housing market (wouldn't be the first football player to do so)....who knows. It just seems highly unlikely to me that he would be willing to jump straight to MLS still in his relative prime (I know he's 31 but he's not a broken down 31 like Huckerby). Or even if he is interested in playing in the MLS, it could be that he is investing for the future so that he could come to Toronto three-four years down the line. But again, I think that there is absolutely zero chance that he is even remotely interested in playing in Toronto anytime in the near future.

werewolf
07-16-2008, 05:37 PM

That game was on the Score recently :lol:

If we can get him, he would score at least 10 by the end of the season.

Kevvv
07-16-2008, 05:42 PM

Harry says he still wants him, but they're always tight for dough. Nothing on the pompey boards to suggest otherwise (or to confirm he's signed, for that matter; side note, our board on vBulletin is way better than theirs).

13CP
07-16-2008, 05:48 PM
The fact that his agent was looking in a couple of places in the MLS should indicate something. Chivas and TFC were possible teams that the agent was looking at. Its not that this rumour is not true, just the agent's words on what Kanu is looking for. This can mean many things. $1.6 million was for a home that the agent bought because he wanted to bring his family to live in Toronto (English lad). The offer on the house may be an investment or something. And the fact that he is looking elsewhere for Kanu to play.

arbogast
07-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Harry says he still wants him, but they're always tight for dough. Nothing on the pompey boards to suggest otherwise (or to confirm he's signed, for that matter; side note, our board on vBulletin is way better than theirs).

I think this is pure bullshit but....

Harry wants him, but he's gonna sit on the bench. You gotta think Defoe and Crouch will be the starting strikers. So it comes down to whether or not he fancies himself a starter because if his ego is big enough, he'll look elsewhere..

Kevvv
07-16-2008, 08:16 PM
For that matter, I don't think we saw a ton of him last season. He played alot in FA Cup because Defoe couldn't, but regular EPL, he was generally subbed in, as I remember it.

And def agree, Crouch and Defoe are top guys, they also have Nugent coming off the bench, so 4 forwards may be overkill on their budget.

ExiledRed
07-16-2008, 08:32 PM
I think this is pure bullshit but....

Harry wants him, but he's gonna sit on the bench. You gotta think Defoe and Crouch will be the starting strikers. So it comes down to whether or not he fancies himself a starter because if his ego is big enough, he'll look elsewhere..

For a striker as decorated as he is, sitting on the pompey bench is the beginning of the spiral.

In reality, he could come here on DP money and be the big story to boot.

I do despise how every player of real worth is considered 'not remotely possible' yet nobody thinks a 37 year old from Galatasaray at $4 million is utterly absurd.

arbogast
07-16-2008, 08:40 PM
For a striker as decorated as he is, sitting on the pompey bench is the beginning of the spiral.

I do despise how every player of real worth is considered 'not remotely possible' yet nobody thinks a 37 year old from Galatasaray at $4 million is utterly absurd.

We're on the same page bro. ... i really don't think he'll accept a bench position and he'll look at other options...from there anything can happen even a move abroad

H Bomb
07-16-2008, 08:48 PM
I've always thought skill was the ultimate premium in our league (I know, brilliant isn't it). And if he came Kanu would instantly be the most naturally skilled player in the league. he'd be a treat to watch but this is a messageboard rumour. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

noochie
07-16-2008, 09:01 PM

In this game... I think just about anything is possible. In fairness to most, terms of the deal length were never revealed and neither was the currency. I agree though that all of these need to be taken with a grain of salt. Most often if it smells like shit... well...

Dirk Diggler
07-16-2008, 09:08 PM

Thats because aside from Beckham and possibly Angel, no player has shown the desire to make the trek across the pond until they have made the very last penny from their European clubs. Would we all love to have Kanu? There should be no doubt about that. I don't fancy watching Cunnigham botch up chance after chance for the entirety of the season. However, after getting rejected from even the players who, for all intents and purposes, are finished with top level European football, it is hard to imagine how a player like Kanu, who still has a future in the EPL ahead of him, would choose TFC over a good number of teams. Even if Kanu is done at Portsmouth as a starter (and that shouldn't mean much; most EPL clubs have tremendous depth up front), there should be no doubt that there will several EPL teams offering him a starting position.

H Bomb
07-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Lets not forget that Kanu had a resurgence with West Brom after limited playing time at Arsenal. His has had ups and downs, but he's also shown he's willing to do the work and go to a lower team to help them progress.

Raging Reggie
07-16-2008, 09:40 PM
I would welcome this with open arms! Hope this turns out to be true!

greatwhitenorf
07-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Be nice to see that kind of skill on our team.

But don't go thinking you can come waltzing around BMO Field wearing them gawdawful looking Ar5ena1 shirts just coz he's on the team.

Portsmouth jerseys are fine.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-16-2008, 11:32 PM
I would welcome this with open arms! Hope this turns out to be true!

yep.
Only issue is the source of the rumor.
Nothing personal but (just like everyone else) having heard a great deal of rumors including newspapers etc, ill believe it when i see it.
It would be a hell of a signing tho.
Dude would defo excel and its an ideal DP target.

CretanBull
07-16-2008, 11:41 PM
He would destroy this league, but I can't imagine how it would be true.

Raging Reggie
07-16-2008, 11:45 PM
13CP tells no lies shirts if this is true?

themodelcitizen
07-17-2008, 12:06 AM

xqKi_yOYvOw

ExiledRed
07-17-2008, 12:39 AM
13CP tells no lies shirts if this is true?

I believe.

At least I believe the story about the real estate deal.

Raging Reggie
07-17-2008, 12:57 AM
I believe.

At least I believe the story about the real estate deal.

Looks like its going to be me and you ExiledRed at the next game with the "13CP tells no lies about the princess margret house On the market for $1.9 million" shirts on. Come say hello everyone......

ExiledRed
07-17-2008, 01:43 AM
^^ I used to make real estate brochures for similarly priced housing in Toronto, as a side job.

$1.9 million here gets you a massive underground swimming pool with marble pillars and high domed ceiling, it gets you sweeping staircases, multiple kitchens, stables, private cinemas, games rooms you could open to the public and make huge cash on, fucking everything.

In the south of England, you get a whirlpool bath, ancient wood creaking staircases, a kitchenette, a second living room and a dartboard.

just to illustrate an earlier point I made :)

Raging Reggie
07-17-2008, 01:50 AM
^^ so it sounds like your telling me Kanu then is comming :)

ExiledRed tells no lies!!!!

jloome
07-17-2008, 01:58 AM
Can't see it. He probably makes $80,000 a week right now (40,000 pounds), so even DP money might not be enough. Premiership players are weeeeeelllll paid.

ensco
07-17-2008, 07:12 AM

I am on the record having said that the $4 million price tag for Sukur could not possibly be true. Even $1 million wouldn't make sense, at that age, strike rate and marketing value. Mo is a Scot!

Neither Sukur or Kanu would do anything for TV ratings here, or make TFC an attractive opponent for friendlies - sorry but it's an obvious point that seems to have been lost in these discussions. If you're going to go on about $3-4 million/year players, forget about it if it's not a known name.

Now if Kanu were willing to come for something like $1.0-1.5 million, then MLSE wouldn't need the same type of Beckham-type business case to bring him over...

ensco
07-17-2008, 07:14 AM
Can't see it. He probably makes $80,000 a week right now (40,000 pounds), so even DP money might not be enough. Premiership players are weeeeeelllll paid.

Can someone explain to me, are these weekly salaries in Europe paid 52 weeks a year, or just during the season (ie around 40 weeks a year)?

Monk
07-17-2008, 08:22 AM
Was the agent one of these guys? :lol:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=555546&sec=europe&cc=5901

-W.

ExiledRed
07-17-2008, 09:32 AM
^^ It's a good question, ensco

In the case of euro players, the media and public fixate on the transfer fee, and rarely investigate the player's actual wage. I suspect Kanu is making much less per week than $80,000 at this point in his career, The difference between the highest paid EPL player and the lowest is probably quite a few MLS salary caps.

Over here, we fixate on the players wage, because that's more relevant in the MLS scheme of things.

I can't give you an answer though, ensco. Some players are paid weekly, some are paid an agreed annual fee, some are paid by actual games or minutes on the pitch and there are even 'cash for goals' contracts and so on.

The transfer fee really is a smokescreen though.

Kevvv
07-17-2008, 11:01 AM
But don't go thinking you can come waltzing around BMO Field wearing them gawdawful looking Ar5ena1 shirts just coz he's on the team.

Portsmouth jerseys are fine.

Except they're the wrong colour :(

http://www.store.portsmouthfc.co.uk/product_images/large/pfc-48316-kanu.jpg

^^ so it sounds like your telling me Kanu then is comming :)

Or that he is investing in our housing market. When he's at Bouclair looking at curtains, I'll hold out hope.

Jack
07-17-2008, 11:45 AM
^^ It's a good question, ensco

In the case of euro players, the media and public fixate on the transfer fee, and rarely investigate the player's actual wage. I suspect Kanu is making much less per week than $80,000 at this point in his career, The difference between the highest paid EPL player and the lowest is probably quite a few MLS salary caps.

Over here, we fixate on the players wage, because that's more relevant in the MLS scheme of things.

I can't give you an answer though, ensco. Some players are paid weekly, some are paid an agreed annual fee, some are paid by actual games or minutes on the pitch and there are even 'cash for goals' contracts and so on.

The transfer fee really is a smokescreen though.

If we give him $5M, that's close to $100K a week. Pretty damn good wages,even for the Prem.

Plus he'd be playing a lot less games.

Shaughno
07-17-2008, 12:16 PM
If we give him $5M, that's close to $100K a week. Pretty damn good wages,even for the Prem.

Plus he'd be playing a lot less games.

Guarantee that's about what he would make in the Prem. Top guys make ₤100k a week or so.

olegunnar
07-17-2008, 12:23 PM
It seems to be a situation where Pompey wants to offer one year but Kanu feels he deserves more than that.
We're the crappy MLS...he can play here til he's 40 so we can offer him longer than one year.

From June 26th:
"I cannot sign for just one year when I have done so much for the club," Kanu told Nigeria's Brila FM.
"Winning the FA Cup and playing well during the season should qualify me for more than a one-year extension.
"I believe for them to really appreciate my efforts with the team last season, they have to top it up with one more year. That's where we are now and we are still discussing."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/26062008/58/premier-league-kanu-demands-longer-deal.html

ExiledRed
07-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Guarantee that's about what he would make in the Prem. Top guys make ₤100k a week or so.

As a top scorer for the Arse, yes.

As a 31 year old depth player for Portsmouth, I doubt it.

jloome
07-17-2008, 12:35 PM
If he's interested, which I still highly doubt, he'd be a great foil for the kid, as he's mostly a target/poacher/positional player, due to the fact that he's never been the speediest player in the world. Great football mind though, and he'd probably get 10-15 a season for us at this level.

But he's not a natural goal predator like Angel (whom, despite his slightly floppy Villa career, was absolutely lethal at River Plate, and given his lack of name-recognition here, those two things might combine to put the kibosh on it even beign worth MLSE's time.

Dickov, if we got him, would be a little different because he's a regular salary player. We might onlyl get seven or eight goals out of him for the whole season, but he'd create numerous others and drive defenses crazy.

Can't see Kanu as a DP, just doesn't make sense.

olegunnar
07-17-2008, 12:37 PM
It's funny,maybe a bit off topic, but I quickly took a second to try and see if I could find out his wages for last year.
First hit was an article from 1999 that talked about how Kanu's new 40,000 a week deal was so huge that it would throw off the pay scale for the Arse.

Kind of like Shneiders comments about Chrissy and Madrid 9 years later

ExiledRed
07-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Look at the pompeys fans opinions, for a better perspective.

Portsmouth could offer him two years on a new contract but he's only really got one more season in him in the top flight - if we do offer him 2 years at least we would be able to get something for him if a championship side happened to put an offer in for him at the end of the forthcoming season.

portsmouth should sell kanu now.
he's already had his days with arsenal.
soon he'll be rubbish

he is in the twilight of his career and needs the cash. Any team he plays for will also enjoy the services of an experienced, match winner whose finesse and deft stroking of the ball draws crowds. This guy may not have the pace of Ronaldo but he sure makes the ball do the running and defenders do the flailing. Stoke City should go for him.

I put these quotes in here because, you all seem to think that this 31 year old fading EPL striker has huge options, he doesn't. Even the Portsmouth fans see the Championship in his future.

jloome
07-17-2008, 12:43 PM
As a top scorer for the Arse, yes.

As a 31 year old depth player for Portsmouth, I doubt it.

Yeah, but they make an average of about 40,000 pounds a week, which is over $80,000 a week -- the number I suggested earlier. Add in the fact that he was at Arsenal for a time and probably has a loaded deal from there that hasn't gone down appreciably and I still think we'd have to offer him $3-4M per season, which he isn't worth in this league. Shit, we could get Angel and Blanco for that money.

If they're restricting this striker hunt to Europe, they're making a serious friggin' mistake. One of the strikers I suggested (either on this board or BS before quitting it in disgust, can't remember which) at the beginning of the season, Angolan league top scorer Love, is now lighting up the Russian premier league with one of the top teams; we could've had him for basically nothing, and he would've torn up MLS.

If fans can identify these types of talents, it should would be nice to see some reassurance of some sort from MLSE that they're actually checking out other options than "people we already know".

It's not hard to figure out who these players are. They play in domestic leagues in impoverished countries and regions that also happen to produce great footballers. In Love's case he was the top scorer in the Angolan league for two straight years before he was picked up, so it shouldn't have surprised anyone actually paying attention. Ditto with Christopher Kitongo, who I believe is playing in Scandinavia now; anyone following the African Cup of Nations in recent years or any football from that continent, for that matter, knew about him four years ago.

And yet, the old boys network of clubs took another three years to pick him out.

Sheesh.

olegunnar
07-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Wanger Love has never played in Angola.
Just Palmeiras and CSKA
Also he's not available for nothing.

"Turkish newspaper Hürriyet reports today that Fenerbahçe could be eyeing Brazilian star Wagner Love again. The club was linked with a transfer for the star earlier this season after Love's CSKA Moscow team met the Canaries in UEFA Champions League action. Love's stock is growing however, and Hürriyet reports that Fener may not be willing to meet the high transfer fee."

http://www.fenerbahceworldwide.org/view/449/Wagner_Love,_Kezman_Highlight_Transfer_News_&_Notes/

ensco
07-17-2008, 12:56 PM
It's tougher than that. Players from Africa and South America:

- are very often busts when they leave home. I follow League 1 in France, 90% of Africans go back home within a year or two

- have "agents" who sell them like cattle in transactions that sometimes violate anti-slavery laws in Canada and the USA (they tend to look the other way in Europe). I'm not exaggerating this problem - getting players signed to a contract is impossible, you're negotiating the right for their services with a third party, usually a pretty shady character. The Tevez situation shone a pretty bright light on this stuff.

Raging Reggie
07-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Look at the pompeys fans opinions, for a better perspective.

I put these quotes in here because, you all seem to think that this 31 year old fading EPL striker has huge options, he doesn't. Even the Portsmouth fans see the Championship in his future.

I agree, hes gotta battle it out with crouch and defoe for playing time. At this age he wants some money and guaranteed playing time im assuming.

ensco
07-17-2008, 01:07 PM
here's a class striker talking about moving to a secondary (tertiary?) team....for $40 million

wow!

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-asiauzbekistanetoo&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Jack
07-17-2008, 01:19 PM

Right, but how many guys in the Prem are on those wages?

According to this article (which is a bit old, but I'm sure they're still in the neighbourhood of about L15K (I'm not looking up that symbol)

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/163676000-the-average-salary-of-a-premiership-footballer-in-2006-473659.html

The highest paid player in the Prem according to the Football France survey is Fat Frank at $12.08 which is about $236 per week or about L115 per week.

So he could make L50K a week for a year, or he could make that same amount here for 3 or 4, plus the fact that that amount of money goes a lot further here.

Shaughno
07-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Well that's my point, he would demand about $100k a week here. Which is about ₤50k a week there.

BTW, that article is 2 years old... Ronaldo makes over ₤125k a week I'm pretty sure.

werewolf
07-17-2008, 01:25 PM
It's not hard to figure out who these players are. They play in domestic leagues in impoverished countries and regions that also happen to produce great footballers. In Love's case he was the top scorer in the Angolan league for two straight years before he was picked up, so it shouldn't have surprised anyone actually paying attention. Ditto with Christopher Katongo, who I believe is playing in Scandinavia now; anyone following the African Cup of Nations in recent years or any football from that continent, for that matter, knew about him four years ago.

Christopher Katongo! :hump:

He was tearing it up with Brondby at the end of last season, unfortunately the team was garbage. He is also signed on for another 3 years. Anyways, he is just one example of many, what happened to that scouting trip to Africa....?

ExiledRed
07-17-2008, 01:26 PM
08 which is about $236 per week or about L115 per week.

So he could make L50K a week for a year, or he could make that same amount here for 3 or 4, plus the fact that that amount of money goes a lot further here.

Plus he stays at the top tier, albeit MLS.

I'm sure some players would rather be at the forefront of an upcoming league, playing all over north america,than languishing in the championship going to exciting locations such as Barnsley and Ipswich.

ExiledRed
07-17-2008, 01:30 PM
If they're restricting this striker hunt to Europe, they're making a serious friggin' mistake. One of the strikers I suggested (either on this board or BS before quitting it in disgust, can't remember which) at the beginning of the season, Angolan league top scorer Love, is now lighting up the Russian premier league with one of the top teams; we could've had him for basically nothing, and he would've torn up MLS.

I'm all for getting this type of player too, but not for awarding them DP status.

I think the hunt for a DP should not necessarily be limited to europe, but I don't think it's a bad place to look.

Jack
07-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Well that's my point, he would demand about $100k a week here. Which is about ₤50k a week there.

BTW, that article is 2 years old... Ronaldo makes over ₤125k a week I'm pretty sure.
Crap... I was actually going to quote this article:
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/512489-english-premiership-dominates-football-rich-list

That's the one I was looking at when I got those numbers.

Kaka (AC Milan): $13.2 million
Ronaldinho (Barcelona): $12.62 million
Frank Lampard (Chelsea): $12.08 million (£116K)
John Terry (Chelsea): $12.08 million
Fernando Torres (Liverpool): $11.72 million
Andrei Shevchenko (Chelsea): $11.54 million
Michael Ballack (Chelsea): $11.54 million
Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United): $11.38 million (£110K)
Thierry Henry (Barcelona): $11.38 million
Steven Gerrard (Liverpool): $11.38 million

Shaughno
07-17-2008, 01:34 PM
^^ Again, still before Ronaldo signed his new contract... making him the highest paid footballer in the EPL. ;)

ExiledRed
07-17-2008, 01:35 PM
I think $2.5 million would cover it.

themodelcitizen
07-17-2008, 01:37 PM
Wanger Love has never played in Angola.
Just Palmeiras and CSKA
Also he's not available for nothing.[/URL]

Different guy. [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenio_Cabungula (http://www.fenerbahceworldwide.org/view/449/Wagner_Love,_Kezman_Highlight_Transfer_News_&_Notes/)

Although I think the first guy was confusing the two, I don't think this guy (goes by just "Love") ever played in Russia.

Shaughno
07-17-2008, 01:37 PM
^ For Kanu? I would think so. Remember, he's not only getting good money but he also becomes an instant star again. I'm sure that's a big consideration when thinking about your future career.

2+ years as a star player (again) or 1-2 years as a bench/starter in the Championship?

trane
07-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Kanu would be great, and while I do not think it would be impossible, it seems unlikely.

Jack
07-17-2008, 01:39 PM
^^ Again, still before Ronaldo signed his new contract... making him the highest paid footballer in the EPL. ;)

Whatever...the point is made ;):hump:

trane
07-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Ronaldinho ( AC MILAN): $12.62 million

Correction.

jloome
07-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Different guy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenio_Cabungula

Although I think the first guy was confusing the two, I don't think this guy (goes by just "Love") ever played in Russia.

yep, my bad confusing the two.

But Katongo makes the point anyway.

Dirk Diggler
07-17-2008, 02:58 PM
If Kanu is out of options with Portsmouth, that still leaves a lot of EPL teams that might be interested in his services. They finished in the top half of the table and won the FA Cup....so they weren't pushovers last season. The bottom half (especially the newly promoted teams) could do a lot worse than Kanu as one of their starting strikers.

ExiledRed
07-17-2008, 03:52 PM
If Kanu is out of options with Portsmouth, that still leaves a lot of EPL teams that might be interested in his services. They finished in the top half of the table and won the FA Cup....so they weren't pushovers last season. The bottom half (especially the newly promoted teams) could do a lot worse than Kanu as one of their starting strikers.

West Brom or Stoke?

That's where their fans think he's headed too. He's on the way out, the portsmouth fans know it, and Kanu probably knows it too.

Realistically, 3 years here is a much better deal than 3 at a team that's going to lose most of it's matches this season whether he plays for them or not. (relegated next season)

I guarantee neither of those two teams are thinking about shelling out the big EPL wages on him, and the highe up the table you go, the less likely the teams will want him at all.

trane
07-17-2008, 03:57 PM
^ I agree, there may be a real window of opportunity for TFC, if it is ready to shell out some cash. This would be a monster signing.

Stugatzo
07-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Fuck The Baggies!!!

Kevvv
07-17-2008, 04:04 PM

Defoe and Benjani scored 20 goals between them last year. Kanu had 4 last year (10 the year before). Point is, Pompey's success had less to do with Kanu than the other two.

Dirk Diggler
07-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Defoe and Benjani scored 20 goals between them last year. Kanu had 4 last year (10 the year before). Point is, Pompey's success had less to do with Kanu than the other two.

I wasn't trying to imply that Kanu was essential to Portsmouth's success. I was saying that just because he is out of options with Portsmouth doesn't mean he is done in the Prem. That would be like saying that Peter Crouch is done because Liverpool doesn't want him. There are a lot of far less successful teams who could certainly use his experience and services.

ExiledRed
07-17-2008, 04:18 PM
I wasn't trying to imply that Kanu was essential to Portsmouth's success. I was saying that just because he is out of options with Portsmouth doesn't mean he is done in the Prem. That would be like saying that Peter Crouch is done because Liverpool doesn't want him. There are a lot of far less successful teams who could certainly use his experience and services.

Peter Crouch, is still relatively young, and left Liverpool to get more games under his belt. Other than West Brom or Stoke, who do you think is going to give Kanu more time on the pitch? These other clubs you speak of all have plenty of options when it comes to getting new strikers, why would they trump for a 31 year old depth player from Portsmouth?

trane
07-17-2008, 04:21 PM
^ Again I agree, Kanu would have to be a depth player for most EPL teams at this point. In the MLS he would be a star.

Dirk Diggler
07-17-2008, 05:29 PM
It doesn't matter if he can be a star in the MLS. This could be said about a whole whack of other players as well. As I said before, aside from a couple of exceptions like Beckham and possibly Angel, no other impact player has shown any interest in the MLS as anything more than a retirement league. Look at Dickov. Right now he's mulling the options between Blackpool, Leicester and Toronto. To us the choice seems like a no-brainer but apparently not for them. In terms of DP-standard players, look at Robbie Fowler. Heck, he didn't even choose a Prem side. He chose CCC side Cardiff over a world class city like Sydney. He would have been the David Beckham of that league (obviously not to the same magnitude). I'm certain he rejected a couple of MLS sides in the process as well. We could stay here and list all the reasons as to why players would prefer to play in the MLS but the general trend has been that players would exhaust all their European options before finally considering the MLS. This isn't the most financially viable option as they come to the MLS at the very end of their careers and lose out on all the money that they could have made if they had come a couple of years earlier but that is the trend none the less.

Also, didn't the thread starter say that the agent was apparently buying the house for his own family and not Kanu? In that case, there is very little to suggest that he is even interested in Toronto. The talk about him trying to convince Kanu to come to Toronto could just be lip service. Wouldn't be the first time an agent has done that.

trane
07-17-2008, 05:36 PM
^ My point is that Kanu and players like him should be the types of players that we go after, on the downside of their career but not over the hill, in footie terms. We would have to put forth some serious dollars to catch their interest.

13CP
07-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Point is........

$1.9 and $1.6 mill? Damn, the agent is well paid.

arsenal
07-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Not a real stretch to think that MLS would be a possibility for Kanu. His agent was talking up a possible move to the Australian A-league earlier this year.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=507634&&cc=5901

ExiledRed
07-17-2008, 08:54 PM
It doesn't matter if he can be a star in the MLS. This could be said about a whole whack of other players as well. As I said before, aside from a couple of exceptions like Beckham and possibly Angel, no other impact player has shown any interest in the MLS as anything more than a retirement league. Look at Dickov. Right now he's mulling the options between Blackpool, Leicester and Toronto. To us the choice seems like a no-brainer but apparently not for them. In terms of DP-standard players, look at Robbie Fowler. Heck, he didn't even choose a Prem side. He chose CCC side Cardiff over a world class city like Sydney. He would have been the David Beckham of that league (obviously not to the same magnitude). I'm certain he rejected a couple of MLS sides in the process as well. We could stay here and list all the reasons as to why players would prefer to play in the MLS but the general trend has been that players would exhaust all their European options before finally considering the MLS. This isn't the most financially viable option as they come to the MLS at the very end of their careers and lose out on all the money that they could have made if they had come a couple of years earlier but that is the trend none the less.

Also, didn't the thread starter say that the agent was apparently buying the house for his own family and not Kanu? In that case, there is very little to suggest that he is even interested in Toronto. The talk about him trying to convince Kanu to come to Toronto could just be lip service. Wouldn't be the first time an agent has done that.

What youre overlooking is that every individual case is going to be different, there are hundreds of well paid, aging players and not all of them have the same mentality when it comes to how they finish their careers. There are going to be exceptions, and there are going to be factors that cant be accounted for such as preferred location, family, sideline business opportunities, and yes, the need to be a big fish again.

And to finalise, we are talking DP money which will be comparable to whatever they'll get in bottom feeding teams, and wont mean they have to live in some whacked out west midland town like Stoke on trent.

http://www.lastrefuge.co.uk/images/html/aerials_UK_regions/west-midlands/warwickshire-staffordshire/images/AWDS_West_Midlands_UK22.jpg

CretanBull
07-17-2008, 09:16 PM
^ To be fair, if you played for Stoke you'd probably live in Manchester or Birmingham...

ExiledRed
07-17-2008, 09:31 PM
^ To be fair, if you played for Stoke you'd probably live in Manchester or Birmingham...

Oh yes, those beautiful cosmopolitan cities, where you can bring up your kids without ever worrying about their well being.

I forgot.

Cambridge_Red
07-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Wots wrong with BRUM?!!?? :D

CretanBull
07-17-2008, 09:44 PM
Oh yes, those beautiful cosmopolitan cities, where you can bring up your kids without ever worrying about their well being.

I forgot.

When you're rich you live in the good part of town ;)

ExiledRed
07-17-2008, 09:47 PM
Wots wrong with BRUM?!!?? :D

nothing........it's er...lovely

ensco
07-17-2008, 09:52 PM
What youre overlooking is that every individual case is going to be different, there are hundreds of well paid, aging players and not all of them have the same mentality when it comes to how they finish their careers. There are going to be exceptions, and there are going to be factors that cant be accounted for such as preferred location, family, sideline business opportunities, and yes, the need to be a big fish again.

And to finalise, we are talking DP money which will be comparable to whatever they'll get in bottom feeding teams, and wont mean they have to live in some whacked out west midland town like Stoke on trent.

I would add to that list working with people you know already - Robert has repeatedly cited this as the reason he came, it must have mattered to Guevara too, and then there's the whole Norwich/Sunderland thing with Robbo, Jimmy B, and DD (and Welsh too).

Cambridge_Red
07-17-2008, 09:59 PM
nothing........it's er...lovely

Actually the city centre has greatly improved. Dont venture into Sparkhill or Aston though :D

ExiledRed
07-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Actually the city centre has greatly improved. Dont venture into Sparkhill or Aston though :D

I was there two years ago. I thought the aliens had landed.

http://www.urban75.org/photos/birmingham/images/birmingham-bullring-07.jpg

Cambridge_Red
07-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Not loving selfridges?? :D I prefer near broad street and Brindley place.

Daveisonfire
07-20-2008, 11:24 PM
Bumping thread because, well, we don't have any other striker leads in the rumor department aside from Dickov:D

Huginho
07-28-2008, 08:26 AM
After months of uncertainty about his future, Portsmouth striker Kanu will turn down a lucrative move to the United States and sign a rolling 12-month contract extension this week. (The Sun)

Nuvinho
07-28-2008, 08:34 AM
After months of uncertainty about his future, Portsmouth striker Kanu will turn down a lucrative move to the United States and sign a rolling 12-month contract extension this week. (The Sun)

Nice find.

jwfm1985
07-28-2008, 09:19 AM
link?

Huginho
07-28-2008, 09:23 AM
bbc sports, gossip column

link?

Draracle
07-28-2008, 01:18 PM
so we find out through a chance meeting of an agent who is looking to buy property? Isn't there a lot of stuff to do before you buy a house? And wouldn't we catch wind of it before it got this far?

Heathen
07-28-2008, 01:30 PM

I think they'd live in the footballer belt of Cheshire

Corpand
07-28-2008, 01:30 PM
goddamit, Kanu was coming to toronto.....poor Mo, its just not working for him.

Kevvv
07-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Speculation on the pompey boards is that he a) wanted more than a year (the deal reported by the Sun supports this) and b) doesn't particularly like pre-season training.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1476543.ece

ElvistheEvilScotsman
08-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Case Closed: http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/7533199.stm

Too bad as it would have been a sweet signing.

FluSH
08-05-2008, 02:38 PM
14 Goals with Pompey!!!! I'll Take him =)

Edit: Damn just saw the post above. =(

ExiledRed
08-05-2008, 02:44 PM
/thread.

too many of these.

it was a nice dream while it lasted.

One more random DP name that gets his own thread, and Im starting up the Fowler
(free agent) to TFC campaign again.

13CP
08-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Oh well. Would have been nice.

profit89