PDA

View Full Version : Flyers

Abou Sky
09-13-2012, 09:54 PM
If I print out flyers who will hand them out with me?

Something like:

SUPPORT TFC BY NOT BUYING CONCESSIONS

On the back:

ML$E cares only about the bottom line. Close your wallet and hit them where it hurts.

Anselmi and Old Boys OUT!

Tasteful, easy to read and hopefully gets some media.

asterix606
09-13-2012, 10:49 PM
I remember reading on this site that concessions sales were mostly going to the city of Toronto.

I say go big or go home :)

SUPPORT TFC BY NOT RENEWING

Yagbod
09-13-2012, 10:56 PM
I think no on this one. I love the idea in principle, but I am also concerned about the message/impact of such an action on the employees. I would not want to hurt them and a) continued attrition will have an impact on jobs an b) they rely on the tips, big time I am sure.

Abou Sky
09-14-2012, 04:51 AM
If you want to support your beer guy just give him $5 tips for being there.

Abou Sky
09-14-2012, 05:00 AM
For revenues, the way it works is that BMO field profits are split, so you are taking some money out of the city coffers but you are also taking money out of MLSE's pocket.

I think it also sends a message that more will be done if neccesary.

Anyway, I am going to do it on my own, not affiliated with any SG so anyone willing to help please let me know.

Abou Sky
09-14-2012, 08:02 AM
Note, in dollar terms, in 2010 BMO field netted ~$600k profit, 5k people not spending $40/game on beer/concessions adds up quickly.

narduch
09-14-2012, 08:06 AM
In season one, a study showed that the average fan spends $11 per game on concessions.

Hitting them at the ticket purchasing level has a far greater effect.

Just because some of us are drunks that buy 4 large beers doesn't mean everyone is.

Fort York Redcoat
09-14-2012, 08:19 AM
3 games left to piss off beer drinkers. If people want to buy beer, they will.

And yes it's already been revealed that the team does not get hurt from losing their pittance percentage of beer sales. Merchandise is bread and butter and that's mostly dead until the inevitable end of year sales.

I'm not stopping you but I believe your energy could be better utilized.

narduch
09-14-2012, 08:22 AM
Fans are already protesting anyways, by not even showing up.

Belfast_Boy
09-14-2012, 08:28 AM
personally I don't buy beer there anymore as it is.

if we get our shit together to protest at gate 4 we should give flyers to the punters asking them to join in.

tiberius
09-14-2012, 08:59 AM
If I print out flyers who will hand them out with me?

Something like:
SUPPORT TFC BY NOT BUYING CONCESSIONS
On the back:
ML$E cares only about the bottom line. Close your wallet and hit them where it hurts.

Anselmi and Old Boys OUT!

Tasteful, easy to read and hopefully gets some media.

Hi Sky - any protest is great, and I definitely share your deep frustration and anger over the complete incompetence of the crew running TFC. The folk still around supporting TFC are definitely a deservedly pissed bunch. Protesting in any manner, or several manners, lets some of the frustration out - that makes sense to me.

That being said, Toronto FC is a business run by a bunch of dense money counters. There are only three ways to make any effect - hit 'em hard, below the bent with a well aimed economic punch or embarrass them really, really bad, publicly, to the point where it affects their reputation and or they take it personally or appeal to a higher deity - go over their heads to their bosses.

Hitting their concessions etc... is like throwing a pulled punch - little effect. It is only seat sales (and thus concessions + jersey etc.) that have the possibility of landing a economic punch that might sting. If you are going to fight, swing hard and get the first punch in...

That being said, the paper bag approach, possibly with a two stick or three is done with the full knowledge of lack of effectiveness - really just a "fuck you anyway", flippin the bird... that has a lot of appeal...
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/image.php?u=322&dateline=1342734572

Anselmi, Biernie, Cochrane and Grand Marnier don't really deserve any more of our energy - the only other real avenue is to work really, really hard on the board members of MLSE - write them (coherentlyg:D) and individually - take the best quotes and analysis from the RPB boards - make the case that ABC have to go sooner rather than later - make the economic argument - point out their lack of soccer experience (including Cochrane) outline the benefits - we would be the cheapest TO team to turn around into a winner! Appeal to their honesty, integrity and reputation. If really ambitious, carpet bomb a good email to all Bell and Rogers senior and middle management along with 'ccing as many media outlets and reporters as possible. That gets people talking - that gets all sorts of folk asking questions - that throws light on the senior management and board to think and respond... After the carpet bomb, send short and sweet letters to the editor of all newspapers - talk of brooming out of ABC, talk lack of integrity, lack of soccer experience, talk embarrassment, talk worst team in the world, talk wanting economic prosperity for the team and Toronto. One last thing... make sure to purposefully ignore (cut out of the loop) all of the reporters who are currently sucking Grand Marnier's tit.

Finally, it takes away from your case to say your are a supporter, RPB, U-sector etc. Just write as joe soccer fan - not someone with a vested interest or can be labelled a RPB fanatic. Believe it or not this can work, it does have effect... I have personally launch this into action several times over the years, with results. I have also seen it work when being the target of such a campaign.... you probably will not see immediate results, but results you will probably get...

narduch
09-14-2012, 09:11 AM
These guys are so arrogant that I don't think anything can embarass them.

The Anselmi promotion was a real sign that no matter how bad things get, the status quo is acceptable at MLSE.

Hell, all the key characters that the fans want removed and replaced are getting promotions.

Its a sick nightmare.

tiberius
09-14-2012, 09:23 AM
These guys are so arrogant that I don't think anything can embarass them.

The Anselmi promotion was a real sign that no matter how bad things get, the status quo is acceptable at MLSE.

Hell, all the key characters that the fans want removed and replaced are getting promotions.

Its a sick nightmare.

I agree - embarrassing them will not work - it can feel good to try, but that is about it. In the end, it is the strategies of going over their head or hitting them economically that are most likely to produce results.

C.Ronaldo
09-14-2012, 10:03 AM
havent bought a single item since season 3....its onto bigger things...season tickets and just not showing up.

Empty seats are a much more powerful statement

Abou Sky
09-14-2012, 12:27 PM
For anyone who cares, here is a copy of the flyer that will go out.

http://www.skyjems.net/images/Pics/SUPPORT%20TFC.pdf

Way I figure, for an hour and a half work and $30 at least I can feel like I am doing SOMETHING instead of sitting and bitching.

Heepster
09-14-2012, 01:39 PM
"Protesting" a team is a ridiculously self-contradicting concept.Lack of success for a sports enterprise is marked by apathy -- for example, fewer and fewer people showing up, as others here have already pointed out. "Protesting" displays caring, the opposite of apathy.

Abou Sky
09-14-2012, 02:03 PM
"Protesting" a team is a ridiculously self-contradicting concept.Lack of success for a sports enterprise is marked by apathy -- for example, fewer and fewer people showing up, as others here have already pointed out. "Protesting" displays caring, the opposite of apathy.

You are not wrong.

Thing is, I DO care, that is the worst part.

tiberius
09-14-2012, 02:52 PM

http://www.skyjems.net/images/Pics/SUPPORT TFC.pdf

Way I figure, for an hour and a half work and $30 at least I can feel like I am doing SOMETHING instead of sitting and bitching.

The flyer looks good - clean visual, simple wording - nice job!

Flipityflu
09-14-2012, 03:14 PM
I remember reading on this site that concessions sales were mostly going to the city of Toronto.

I say go big or go home :)

SUPPORT TFC BY NOT RENEWING

yep, ticket sales is the only place to send a message. i wish that this was done two year ago when i gave mine up....maybe we would have been further along.

has there been any mention of town hall meetings yet? that could be a great venue to demonstrate.

Fort York Redcoat
09-14-2012, 03:18 PM
^Which is precisely why you probably won't see any.

tiberius
09-14-2012, 03:29 PM
personally I don't buy beer there anymore as it is.

if we get our shit together to protest at gate 4 we should give flyers to the punters asking them to join in.

Can't we get the public on our side by saying MLSE drowns kittens, or kicks puppies... oops I mean they stomp cats and drown puppies? I haven't seen the squirrel around in a while - perhaps Anselmi put out a contract on our squirrel too.

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKVnkpnxiPjK9a034uxdaErdI23wVIi KsBddGqvN8krWahPtzg_ghttps://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHRjNL1_Y4k7XycMs4gJuKIKHAYwrJk 4JY0Ksetbkvx8d_xbLrew

Save the wildlife, get rid of Anselmi!:)

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxY8N4I-c2PHWoLdhPj1oT-VTZxS9Lkc_tXa60cuHkNb7g3hGxaA

Ultra & Proud
09-14-2012, 03:55 PM

http://www.skyjems.net/images/Pics/SUPPORT TFC.pdf

Forgive me but how does this flyer make any sense?

'MLSE has one goal, to make money'. Well duh, every business does and every ownership group of every professional team does too, even if they don't say it publicly. Also, is this supposed to imply that MLSE is 'cheap' regarding our roster, the third highest payroll in MLS? And how does not buying food support the team? The team is the players. Do you think they'll ever even hear about this? And how would that be supporting them? And lastly, you say 'send MLSE a message'. What message is that? That we don't like a losing team so we're going to not buy food. Really? You think the average fan will have any clue what message this is supposed to be and if you say it's for the SG members then save a tree and just keep it on the boards.

Abou Sky
09-14-2012, 04:06 PM
If you have a suggestion as to wording I am open to change.

I am also open to a protest at gate 4, I will up the flyers for that too.

I don't see this as an 'either or' thing, no reason to not do all that is possible.

tiberius
09-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Forgive me but how does this flyer make any sense?

I forgive you Ultra... How does the last 7 years of MLSE soccer make any sense??

Sky is doing something. He does not mention SGs in the flyer at all. It does not harm anyone. Why get your knickers in a twist? He is letting it be known publicly, that he is severely displeased with a crap organization. We all have similar feelings about MLSE... If you decide to do nothing, Ultra - that's OK too!

The only problem will be if the BMO Cat Stompers catch up with Sky, then the fur will fly!g:D

Ultra & Proud
09-15-2012, 08:24 AM
I forgive you Ultra... How does the last 7 years of MLSE soccer make any sense??

Sky is doing something. He does not mention SGs in the flyer at all. It does not harm anyone. Why get your knickers in a twist? He is letting it be known publicly, that he is severely displeased with a crap organization. We all have similar feelings about MLSE... If you decide to do nothing, Ultra - that's OK too!

The only problem will be if the BMO Cat Stompers catch up with Sky, then the fur will fly!g:D

Here's the thing; the flyer doesn't say what the message is. It says don't buy food and drinks. Why? You have to state a reason so regular folks can get it. Regular fans probably have no idea who Cochrane is. I go to matches with a bunch of non SG people. Older guys from my woman's Pub and I know they'd never understand it. At least when NEE did their thing years back they explained everything (no mid season friendlies, spend more cash and get DPs, etc). People knew the message anyway.

Abou Sky
09-15-2012, 09:20 AM
U&P, the worst thing that will happen is nothing and that I will look to be a fool.

Been there, done that, it doesn't bother me much at all.

Best case, it gets some media attention.

I feel it is worth the risk.

If you want to help I am open, if there is a march, I am open and will cover the flyers for that.

Doing nothing is no longer an option IMO.

Abou Sky
09-15-2012, 05:07 PM
Spent about an hour tilting at windmills today.

Mostly positive reaction except one guy who was really pissed.

Should probably have a clearer message next time, I think I will put board member phone numbers, email addresses and fax numbers on the next one clearly stating:

7 coaches
100s of players
1 constant

Replace the executive.

***contact info

tiberius
09-15-2012, 06:24 PM

Should probably have a clearer message next time, I think I will put board member phone numbers, email addresses and fax numbers on the next one clearly stating:

7 coaches
100s of players
1 constant

Replace the executive.

***contact info

You may feel like a windmill tilter, but you will have had some effect - it is just hard to see or measure.

Did any of the BMO Cat Stompers give you a hassle?

WestStandGeoff
09-15-2012, 06:58 PM
FWIW, I think you at least got some traction. The Scottish gent that sits in front of me in 124 asked me at half if I'd seen the flyers that were being handed out...he then showed me yours. Cant say he was convinced, as he generally never buys much concessions anyway, but did appreciate the message, and I got the feeling that he was glad to be hearing the message, and I hope it was being similarly received elsewhere.

smtavare
09-15-2012, 08:20 PM

7 coaches
100s of players
1 constant

Replace the executive.

***contact info

Good Job Sky,

Everyone I talked to who got the flyer perfectly understood the message.

tiberius
09-15-2012, 08:50 PM

7 coaches
100s of players
1 constant

Replace the executive.

***contact info

6 years
7 coaches
100s of players
high prices
PATHETIC
1 constant - Earl Cochrane, Paul Beirne, Tom Anselmi -

THEY ARE THE PROBLEM!! Replace the executive - NOW!!!

TFC Cityboy
09-15-2012, 09:09 PM
the camera guy at the back of 115 asked a mate to hold up the flyer for the camera. I got hoe and it didn't appear to make it o n tv tho.

Abou Sky
09-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Anyone have some time to look for contact info for the board members? May have to go with an office fax/phone for some but as much as possible is super.

Much appreciated if anyone can do it, Larry T. seems to be a bit tough because there is SO much bloody stuff on him clogging up my searches.