PDA

View Full Version : Paper bags for the last TWO games

Belfast_Boy
09-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Let's do this for the last game of the year. it's cheap, funny and to the point.

http://c0034152.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/cd86ee5e-882c-479b-8e3a-d364003ba2d8.jpg

we should also snig this. we did it last night and it was a laugh.

We never win at home
and we never win away
We lost last week
and we lost today
We don't give a fuck
'Cos we're all pissed up
Toronto FC
OK

Oldtimer
09-13-2012, 08:01 AM
It's a tradition with ML$E's other teams. Why not?

ensco
09-13-2012, 08:11 AM
That one bag in the picture, is the punchline to a great quote. The coach of an NFL expansion team, in the 1970s, was asked: What do you think of your team's execution?

"I'm in favour of it"

Fort York Redcoat
09-13-2012, 08:18 AM
Go for it if you want. I will never do this. I hate its message that I'm ashamed to follow my team.

I realize its a frustrated lark but you won't see me with a bag over my head.

Super
09-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Go for it if you want. I will never do this. I hate its message that I'm ashamed to follow my team.

I agree. If you don't like what you see, stay home. I never understood why anyone would take the time out of their day to go to a game to voice protest. Just stay home. That's a much better protest. TFC knows we're not happy.

As for me, I've missed the last 4-5 games or so, and will likely miss the rest of the season. I just don't care too much about meaningless games, especially when the quality is so poor. I'll renew, but unless we play a better kind of football, and actually win some, then my seat will be empty for most of 2013 - followed by not renewing for 2014. Last chance, TFC!

Belfast_Boy
09-13-2012, 09:01 AM
you guys are taking this far too seriously. it's tongue in cheek. it's a poke at the organization and how things look.

had to laugh at the meaningless games comment. I'm surprised you showed up to any this year... or last year... or the year before...etc.

the reason I would show up to voice my disaproval is because I care. I still go to games whether we win, lose or draw. i'm a supporter.

Oldtimer
09-13-2012, 09:10 AM

I agree. If you don't like what you see, stay home. I never understood why anyone would take the time out of their day to go to a game to voice protest. Just stay home. That's a much better protest. TFC knows we're not happy.

As for me, I've missed the last 4-5 games or so, and will likely miss the rest of the season. I just don't care too much about meaningless games, especially when the quality is so poor. I'll renew, but unless we play a better kind of football, and actually win some, then my seat will be empty for most of 2013 - followed by not renewing for 2014. Last chance, TFC!

I think you need to lighten up... it's a long standing Toronto joke, not a serious statement.

tfcleeds
09-13-2012, 09:16 AM
I realize its a joke, and all in good fun, I say go for it for whoever wants to. However, I myself will not be attending (as I haven't the entire season - not because I don't support the team, but other priorities have taken precedence for me this year). I do agree though with the statement not attending games is the best way of protesting.

denime
09-13-2012, 09:35 AM

I'm ashamed my team is being managed by bunch of idiots and morons,I'm ashamed that my team plays like crap year after year,but I'm will never be ashamed for following my team,

and that's why I say YES to the paper bags.

Suds
09-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Now we're onto something.

Buy a bottle of Jameson Irish Whiskey and have them brown bag it for you. http://www.drinksindustryireland.ie/img/Online III/Jameson_bottle_shot_white.jpg

Drink bottle to stomach TFC game.

Drop bottle into recycling box.

Recycle brown bag by wearing on your head at the game.

Note: If you do not cut the eye holes too big to too close to the bottom you can use it as a puke bag post game. g:D

jabbronies
09-13-2012, 09:48 AM
I'm all for the paper bags.

We should do up the last game proper. Have a tailgate (just people hanging out by the RPB tent like we used to do, not food or anything like that). Get proper drunk, sing stupid songs about winning the cup and take the piss out the situation we have been thrown in by the team.

I haven't had fun at a TFC game in a while. Let's fucking do it up RPB style circa 2008/09

TFC_Allez
09-13-2012, 10:03 AM
I love the idea of protesting at this point. I like the idea of paper bags as well. I just don't think the FO will take it seriously. Wouldn't something like a big huge TIFO or a staged walk-out after the 24th minute have a better effect? I mean, as pissed as we are with the team...we couldn't possibly miss Danny Dichio! He's the only guy who's given us some sort of joy. :)

Super
09-13-2012, 10:08 AM
I think you need to lighten up... it's a long standing Toronto joke, not a serious statement.

Oh I know, and I should lighten up. But at this point I just couldn't be bothered to do anything for or against TFC - except not show up. I know that speaks louder than any word or action I could otherwise do. But I look forward to seeing people wear paper bags on their heads. Should be good for a laugh at least.

cmonyoureds
09-13-2012, 10:13 AM
I'm all for the paper bags.

We should do up the last game proper. Have a tailgate (just people hanging out by the RPB tent like we used to do, not food or anything like that). Get proper drunk, sing stupid songs about winning the cup and take the piss out the situation we have been thrown in by the team.

I haven't had fun at a TFC game in a while. Let's fucking do it up RPB style circa 2008/09

This is awesome. Let's do it. Season One stadium atmosphere, and there will be a lot of people saying goodbye to tix and the stadium, so one last hurrah for all of us.

I have a suggestion other than paper bags, but along similar lines.

At the end of the final game of the season, if you ain't coming back or you're thinking of not coming back, put a black bag over your seat. It's not destructive and it sure as heck is visible from the box seats as a statement.

(i know, i know, i'm a "registered user" not a "member". protest this, protest that, etc. etc. etc. But maybe just give it a thought when you see what inaction has done for your renewal price this year when they're sent out)

Belfast_Boy
09-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Great! everyone that's in spread the word. bring extra bags.
lets have fun while sending a message.

Super
09-13-2012, 10:15 AM
Just be careful THIS don't happen to you:

http://www.thecaptainsmemos.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/bagheadfire.jpg

jabbronies
09-13-2012, 10:31 AM
This is awesome. Let's do it. Season One stadium atmosphere, and there will be a lot of people saying goodbye to tix and the stadium, so one last hurrah for all of us.

I have a suggestion other than paper bags, but along similar lines.

At the end of the final game of the season, if you ain't coming back or you're thinking of not coming back, put a black bag over your seat. It's not destructive and it sure as heck is visible from the box seats as a statement.

(i know, i know, i'm a "registered user" not a "member". protest this, protest that, etc. etc. etc. But maybe just give it a thought when you see what inaction has done for your renewal price this year when they're sent out)

Fuck it, it's a protest but let's have fun with it.

We're not walking out; we're not sitting quietly; we're not booing the team - paper bags, two sticks, songs, beers, take the piss out of the team and have fun.
We've been sucking the proverbial TFC dick for years and look where it's gotten us. Let's do something different.

Fort York Redcoat
09-13-2012, 10:43 AM

Yeah I mention it's a lark but it has just as much to do with Toronto as anywhere in NA that does it. I know I've seen it in gridiron and baseball outside of Toronto and I've thought less of those fans. I'm not going to take the bags off your heads but I won't participate.

ryan
09-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Fuck it, it's a protest but let's have fun with it.

We're not walking out; we're not sitting quietly; we're not booing the team - paper bags, two sticks, songs, beers, take the piss out of the team and have fun.
We've been sucking the proverbial TFC dick for years and look where it's gotten us. Let's do something different.

Not a bad idea.

March around the stadium or some shit. Or every 10 minutes move to a new section lol.

Belfast_Boy
09-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Yeah I mention it's a lark but it has just as much to do with Toronto as anywhere in NA that does it. I know I've seen it in gridiron and baseball outside of Toronto and I've thought less of those fans. I'm not going to take the bags off your heads but I won't participate.

I'll bring an extra in case you change your mind Pete.

Torontotonto
09-13-2012, 07:31 PM
you guys are taking this far too seriously. it's tongue in cheek. it's a poke at the organization and how things look.

had to laugh at the meaningless games comment. I'm surprised you showed up to any this year... or last year... or the year before...etc.

the reason I would show up to voice my disaproval is because I care. I still go to games whether we win, lose or draw. i'm a supporter.

Painting my bag GREEN

Belfast_Boy
09-14-2012, 08:05 AM
lets not jibber jabber or over think this. we are not going for peace in the middle-east.
We want responsible, knowledgeable management and fair ticket prices.

Paper bag protest during the last game.
Gate 4 protest after the game.

this isn't rocket surgery!

Auzzy
09-14-2012, 08:07 AM
^ But maybe it's brain science? :)

narduch
09-14-2012, 08:09 AM
This would actually be a pretty effective protest, imo.

The Toronto media will love this, particularly the Sun.

Davenport
09-14-2012, 08:21 AM
Make Anslime, Mariner and the players wear them. They're the ones that should be embarrassed.

tfcleeds
09-14-2012, 09:32 AM
If Harold Ballard was still alive, and running this team, he'd make Mariner wear a paper bag.

backbeat
09-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Mariner would respond that he agrees with the fans and that is why he will continue his work of building a team with players who care. he'll use it to his advantage.

Just re-watched one of his initial interviews where he's asked, "How much are you going to change things with the team as far as you've seen to be successful?"

Mariner's response, "Not a lot, I think we're close up in what we want in the building. I think it's there for all to see that we've just got to adjust what we're doing and I'm talking 10 or 15 yard movements of players, I'm not talking about reinventing the wheel. It just going to be an educational process for a few days, not rocket science."

Love to see a big...BIG sign asking Mariner and Cochrane to LEAVE

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-14-2012, 10:05 AM
fuck boys...if we are gona do this...lets do it right......

http://i45.tinypic.com/8vq7ac.jpg

tfcmanu
09-14-2012, 01:25 PM
shirts off....LOLhttp://durobag.com/product_art/Standard/lg/Lawn%20and%20Leaf.jpg

Nuvinho
09-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Every year at the last home game TFC gives out a toque..this year they should give out just paper bags. They will be all for it, it will save them $$$$$$

Belfast_Boy
09-14-2012, 01:40 PM
shirts off....LOLhttp://durobag.com/product_art/Standard/lg/Lawn and Leaf.jpg

BOOM! Cadillac of paper bags! that's what I'll be rocking on the 20th!

Belfast_Boy
09-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Every year at the last home game TFC gives out a toque..this year they should give out just paper bags. They will be all for it, it will save them $$$$$$

they should be giving out toilet paper!

nascarguy
09-14-2012, 01:58 PM
if this is what we are going to do as group I will 100% support this and show up to the game

Dave67
09-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Awesome idea. It's actually something done in North America which makes it even better*. People here, like the local media and fans in the stands or at home will actually get it. Plus it would be a chance to have a laugh again.

* don't read too much into this line. I just mean this is not too cerebral and does not require a long standing understanding of rest of the world soccer culture to get what the hell the group is trying to say.

TOBOR !
09-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Not sure if you can see this, but I'm gonna go to the mall and get me a shirt done up :

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-spgndIxeW1o/UFOE69mz6YI/AAAAAAAAAMw/Obcayi8B9Xs/s743/renewals.png

vince93
09-14-2012, 03:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pH2EwDGrKA&feature=related

This is a real attention grabbing protest, not worthy of wearing the shirts!!

Fort York Redcoat
09-14-2012, 03:16 PM
^Also illegal. We do not condone it.

spark
09-14-2012, 03:19 PM
^^

Many were reluctant, with some, such as Giandomenico Mesto, reduced to floods of tears. Only one, however, would refuse. Giuseppe Sculli – who had been substituted moments before the disturbances broke out – instead marched over to the tunnel to confront the troublemakers himself. As he approached one commanded him to give up his shirt. "I'm not taking it off," he replied before clambering up to grab one ringleader around the back of the head and pull him in for a tete a tete. "It's mine."

Belfast_Boy
09-14-2012, 03:59 PM
i wouldn't want to do that to our boys. they have to be pissed off at the results.

123 elite
09-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Yeah i remember the great paper bag over the head statement in 1994 that the 1000s of Celtic fans did that resulted in the sweeping changes at Celtic park. Its genius. :facepalm:

tfcleeds
09-15-2012, 08:18 AM
Not sure if you can see this, but I'm gonna go to the mall and get me a shirt done up :

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-spgndIxeW1o/UFOE69mz6YI/AAAAAAAAAMw/Obcayi8B9Xs/s743/renewals.png

hahaha, that's awesome! Would love a shirt like that myself.

cmonyoureds
09-16-2012, 09:42 PM

This is AMAZING.
Are you taking orders? I would love one!!!!!!!
It's not very often you get to see the resume of the guy just promoted to head honcho by MLSE........oh wait, he didn't submit this during his interview? Strange........

Red Rat
09-17-2012, 03:19 PM
Dear ML$E

You are now on my Red Waiting List for items to purchase, however you may jump to my Gold Waiting list if you offer me a 2 for 1 deal!.
Imagine having us cheering at BMO field and not in our boring living room.... Become part of something good.

this is a limited time offer, I may change my mind at any given time.

rr

ryan
09-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Dear ML$E

You are now on my Red Waiting List for items to purchase, however you may jump to my Gold Waiting list if you offer me a 2 for 1 deal!.
Imagine having us cheering at BMO field and not in our boring living room.... Become part of something good.

this is a limited time offer, I may change my mind at any given time.

rr

this is a promising idea. put a real good one together, pitch some funds and run an ad in the metro. :)

AL-MO
09-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Earlier in the year when someone suggested paper bags, I didn't like the idea and wanted something that involved banners or a display to communicate our message.

But I didn't really think it would get as bad as this. This is the lowest point ever for this team. Even something that we used to have pride in, (even though we were shit on the field) Support is horrible now.

This seems like a distant memory at this point:

http://www.suhaag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/FC.jpg

http://www.sportsnet.ca/gallery/2012/03/07/rubbel_640.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dCNgN2mlobM/T1mEbP5FgdI/AAAAAAAADRs/YLaWdsF5C7s/s1600/top.jpg

ryan
09-17-2012, 03:58 PM
blows my mind that it was this calendar year, a bloody half year ago.

and now...now we're just piss.

C.Ronaldo
09-17-2012, 04:06 PM
alot of new fans were pissed and shar on very shortly after that skydome game

Sally Mack
09-17-2012, 04:07 PM
been toying with this idea since june, but haven't really been able to bring myself to do it. i'd go to the last game for this sole purpose if there was an organized effort.

Moreso, how about we just make it a total joke? sarcastic tifos, chants, etc. I honestly think it'd make for a more fun experience than most of the other games this year. This is more about drowning our sorrows than making a point.

Yagbod
09-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Just an idea:

A big blank banner. Nothing on it.

Either that or a giant question mark(?). or perhaps just the work 'meh'. I like the giant blank idea because then we can use it another time for something productive.

TOBOR !
09-17-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm going to go to the local party supply shop and get a clown wig and a red nose to wear.

TorCanSoc
09-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Banner that says

-50%

Belfast_Boy
09-17-2012, 08:39 PM
been toying with this idea since june, but haven't really been able to bring myself to do it. i'd go to the last game for this sole purpose if there was an organized effort.

Moreso, how about we just make it a total joke? sarcastic tifos, chants, etc. I honestly think it'd make for a more fun experience than most of the other games this year. This is more about drowning our sorrows than making a point.

it will be a bit of a circus. lets go have fun and do this! it's the last time we'll be at BMO this year and if the renewals are shit then some of us might not be back. the protest afterwards at gate 4 can have a more serious messge.

here's the challenge, organizers, please organize. seems pretty obvious that this is what the group wants. now lets do it.

I posted this in the other thread, where's the ASSelmi banner? it needs to come back.

http://sportsvariety.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/anselmi-out1.jpg

denime
09-17-2012, 10:15 PM
How about last two games to get paper bags going?

Oct.06 vs DC and last game vs Impact.

TOBOR !
09-17-2012, 10:45 PM

Can't be arsed going to 2 games in one month.

flamehawk
09-17-2012, 10:59 PM

You should probably use the updated table -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_FC#Head_coaches (I just updated it)

..23.81% wins.. nearing Mo's record.

Belfast_Boy
09-17-2012, 11:05 PM

sounds great, i'd like to do gate 4 also.

Belfast_Boy
09-18-2012, 10:05 AM
should we be singing?

We're number 10!
We're number 10!
We're number 10!

or

We're number 20!
We're number 20!
We're number 20!

tfcleeds
09-18-2012, 11:27 AM
I wasn't initially going to attend this game, but now I think I will. I think the protest outside gate 4 is important for anyone who is concerned about the future of this club.

TOBOR !
09-18-2012, 01:45 PM
You should probably use the updated table -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_FC#Head_coaches (I just updated it)

..23.81% wins.. nearing Mo's record.

thanks for doing that

denime
09-18-2012, 02:59 PM
sounds great, i'd like to do gate 4 also.

We need numbers for Gate 4 I doubt it we will have enough to look serious.

PAPER BAGS,TWO STICKS,BANNERS FOR LAST TWO GAMES!!!

Belfast_Boy
09-18-2012, 03:20 PM
We need numbers for Gate 4 I doubt it we will have enough to look serious.

PAPER BAGS,TWO STICKS,BANNERS FOR LAST TWO GAMES!!!

that's really too bad. we should have done this two years ago when we did have numbers.

I like the idea of the last two games for the protest. the dc game might help set up a good turnout for the impact game.

craz11
09-18-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm going to dress up as an empty seat.

I have a REALLY good costume..

james
09-20-2012, 01:53 AM
id rather see banners and 2 sticks or something, Soccers unique way of support compared to the traditional hot dog eatting North American fan base where papper bags is seen in Hockey, Baseball, basketball and NFL Football. But if you can get a big group of people wearring bags it would be very effective, people from across the country would understand it. In other sports it seems to never be more then a few individuals with bags, not organised groups, so could look good. Fuck it id say do it. Better then doing nothing!

james
09-20-2012, 01:59 AM
it will be a bit of a circus. lets go have fun and do this! it's the last time we'll be at BMO this year and if the renewals are shit then some of us might not be back. the protest afterwards at gate 4 can have a more serious messge.

here's the challenge, organizers, please organize. seems pretty obvious that this is what the group wants. now lets do it.

I posted this in the other thread, where's the ASSelmi banner? it needs to come back.

http://sportsvariety.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/anselmi-out1.jpg

anyone have this banner??? bring it back now that he got promoted at bell/rogers!

Ajax TFC
09-20-2012, 10:21 AM
I think Anselmi is here to stay (seeing as he's the president of the whole organization). It's Cockbrane who we need to focus out efforts on.

ryan
09-20-2012, 10:44 AM
I think Anselmi is here to stay (seeing as he's the president of the whole organization). It's Cockbrane who we need to focus out efforts on.

Cochrane Out banner is only going to get him promoted.

MLSE is the problem of corporate environments in a nut shell. Friendships over capability is the way to the top.

jazzy
09-21-2012, 05:11 PM
BOOM! Cadillac of paper bags! that's what I'll be rocking on the 20th!

you know , I'm at a disadvantage because my wife insists I wear a bag over my head....many times.......just saying......and that large one probably wouldn't fit my oversized melon.....

Belfast_Boy
09-22-2012, 10:54 AM
you're too funny Derek.

denime
09-22-2012, 07:40 PM
IS IT SAFE TO SAY WE ARE DOING PAPER BAGS FOR LAST TOW GAMES?

Oct.6 vs DC and Oct.27 vs Limpact

jazzy
09-23-2012, 01:57 PM
the way it's going not sure I even want to show up........there is NOTHING on this team worth watching . with different coach . yes ,..the boys WOULD respond,..cause they have heart...they all know now that Mariner like MO is a phoney ,..just a stong past player whom the game has left behind.....must be tough because he'll NEVER admit it and drag us all down (again),..with him.....where is the class/character in the mgmt team???.......and this could be next year as well??...the players aren't trying or are totally confused with the non-direction of the coach...so what's to watch?...we are the laughing stock of the league...at first I really don't agree with the bags over our heads but god this team is really pushing us as soccer lovers over the edge.......and with no real negativity in the stands from the true supporters , the FO can live in a dream world just collecting their cheques......I'll bring a bag and figure it out at the game if it's fitting but I really wish for something stronger......being dropped from the MLS might work unfortunately!.....it's safe to say we need a new front office with a different international approach to the game....the 70's are gone FFS

ForeverTFC
09-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Will be doing this at the next home game .. also thinking about bringing a two-stick that says "Its Mariner + Cochrane or US - Choose Wisely"

Also the reason why you do this, instead of sitting at home is because it garners attention. If picked up by a CBC or TSN - this can put that extra pressure we need on ownership

Fort York Redcoat
09-24-2012, 11:54 AM
IS IT SAFE TO SAY WE ARE DOING PAPER BAGS FOR LAST TOW GAMES?

Oct.6 vs DC and Oct.27 vs Limpact

I think almost everyone in this thread wishes to wear a paper bag for the last 2 games. Everyone who is not wearing a paper bag is probably not going to participate in the thread (other than myself).

TOBOR !
09-24-2012, 01:17 PM
I'm going to wear a paper bag over my clown wig and red nose.

Toronto
09-24-2012, 01:58 PM
For the L'Impact game I'm bringing a banner that reads

"Joey Saputo, please buy TFC!"

reggie
09-24-2012, 02:09 PM
how about a chant... " all we are saying is give us some hope"

ComedyOfErrors
09-25-2012, 02:01 PM
I WILL be wearing a paper bag for the last two games.
The interesting question is: Will any of us wearing the bags be on TV, or pictured in follow-up articles, or on the big screen?
My prediction: No, given that the new ownerhsip controls tv content, media (i.e. Larson and co.,), there will be no images presented or discussed. They use supporters images when we are happy, jubilant and chanting, but will refuse to acknowledge our discontent.

Fort York Redcoat
09-25-2012, 03:13 PM
TV or jumboscreen- no. Of course not. Those things are there to get people excited to be at the game or get to the game.

Paper- Almost always does the papers have the lone 2 fans on the front of the section of the lowly whoevers and their anonymous, impotent shame.

Sorry to PaperBaggers that take offense.

v00d00daddy
09-25-2012, 03:41 PM
TV or jumboscreen- no. Of course not. Those things are there to get people excited to be at the game or get to the game.

Paper- Almost always does the papers have the lone 2 fans on the front of the section of the lowly whoevers and their anonymous, impotent shame.

Sorry to PaperBaggers that take offense.

I've seen plenty of paper bag wearers on tv. LOL

Yeoman
09-25-2012, 04:51 PM
but now how will people know it's me wearing a red power ranger t shirt?

Belfast_Boy
09-25-2012, 05:06 PM
I WILL be wearing a paper bag for the last two games.
The interesting question is: Will any of us wearing the bags be on TV, or pictured in follow-up articles, or on the big screen?
My prediction: No, given that the new ownerhsip controls tv content, media (i.e. Larson and co.,), there will be no images presented or discussed. They use supporters images when we are happy, jubilant and chanting, but will refuse to acknowledge our discontent.

hopefully we'll get a shot or two in the papers and on the interwebs. any attention to this is welcome.

Belfast_Boy
09-25-2012, 05:06 PM
but now how will people know it's me wearing a red power ranger t shirt?

don't worry.... we'll know......