PDA

View Full Version : PRE/IN/POST GAME_TFC vs Philadephia Union, Sat.Sep.15 BMO 1PM

denime
09-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Hope for a good weather and entertaining game,win is preferred,not getting hammered would do ok,too.

Starting Lineup: ?

Section 117
09-12-2012, 12:03 PM
I think this is the last winnable game of the year....

denime
09-12-2012, 08:38 PM
After tonight "great" performance,this game is everything but winnable.

nonc
09-12-2012, 11:22 PM
fully expecting Mariner to do the unconscionable and sit Avila again.

was just thinking, if Henry can't get PT ahead of our favourite two clowns, why did Mariner re-sign him? Stinson is mediocre but he'd be a huge upgrade over Maund, who is literally painful to watch, like my face and body was convulsing.

TFC would be a lot more enjoyable to watch, and probably better, if Mariner let Academy products like Pasher, Camargo, Cordon, etc. play ahead of our hopeless scrubs. what is the point of our Academy if we're seeing zero integration into such a depleted & awful first-team?

narduch
09-13-2012, 05:56 AM
Henry is hurt.

Couchy81
09-13-2012, 07:38 AM
Is the game at 1-1:30 or 4:30? I saw an ad saying it was 1EST 11PST so not sure now.

denime
09-13-2012, 07:55 AM
Is the game at 1-1:30 or 4:30? I saw an ad saying it was 1EST 11PST so not sure now.

It is 1PM,4:30pm was mistake

Rene Kingsriver
09-13-2012, 08:08 AM
It is 1PM,4:30pm was mistake

hopefully Mariner thinks its 4:30

Couchy81
09-13-2012, 08:10 AM
So this is potentially our game to hit 9 game winless right? It feels worse than our 9 game losing streak. Mariner was hired right after Winter got TFC its first win of the season, and the team started gelling a few games before that, we looked decent and were unfortunate in a number of unlucky bounces. I said right at the time it looked like MLSE was waiting for that moment to plug in Mariner and give him a head start. We rolled with that momentum for a few games and then the true form of Mariner's TFC started to emerge. Horrible management.

Auzzy
09-13-2012, 08:48 AM
fully expecting Mariner to do the unconscionable and sit Avila again.

was just thinking, if Henry can't get PT ahead of our favourite two clowns, why did Mariner re-sign him? Stinson is mediocre but he'd be a huge upgrade over Maund, who is literally painful to watch, like my face and body was convulsing.

TFC would be a lot more enjoyable to watch, and probably better, if Mariner let Academy products like Pasher, Camargo, Cordon, etc. play ahead of our hopeless scrubs. what is the point of our Academy if we're seeing zero integration into such a depleted & awful first-team?

Henry is hurt.

Henry was hurt recently. However, he was an unused sub on the bench last night, so he's obviously (almost) fit again. Don't know if he was kept out last night because Mariner's giving Henry's knee injury more time to heal; or if he just doesn't rate him. Mariner didn't play Henry a couple of times when he was available; and then he played him at RB (and Ecks at CB). So go figure.

RE Pasher, Camargo: You can't just play Academy kids in MLS, like you can in a friendly, or even like in CCL games where I believe you can sign a few extra names to the roster. In MLS, you have to sign the guys to pro contracts first, then they're under your roster limit and are restricted from playing elsewhere. Considering how little playing time many of the Academy graduates get (despite other guys getting played again & again after failing), not sure if I want Mariner screwing up the careers of Pasher, Camargo, and others.

RE Cordon and some of the other Academy graduates already on pro contracts, will we get to see them now that TFC is "officially" out of the playoffs, and Mariner has ranted about most of the squad that played? Perhaps, who the hell knows. Maybe he will play Keith Makubuya in defense, Quillan Roberts as a striker and Oscar Cordon in goal.

RE Avila, agreed he should play more & would do better than some of the guys we see out there. Unfortunately Avila hasn't really been making a case for himself the last two times he came on as a sub. A few flashes but also some pretty bad play. Might be a confidence thing after rotting on the bench for months, and getting personally called out by Mariner. (Plus the general sorry state of the team. So many times, when a TFC player has the ball, most of the teammates stand still, not reachable with a pass, but standing there thinking "Hmmm I wonder that guy is going to do next.")

denime
09-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Henry was hurt recently. However, he was an unused sub on the bench last night, so he's obviously (almost) fit again. Don't know if he was kept out last night because Mariner's giving Henry's knee injury more time to heal; or if he just doesn't rate him. Mariner didn't play Henry a couple of times when he was available; and then he played him at RB (and Ecks at CB). So go figure.

RE Pasher, Camargo: You can't just play Academy kids in MLS, like you can in a friendly, or even like in CCL games where I believe you can sign a few extra names to the roster. In MLS, you have to sign the guys to pro contracts first, then they're under your roster limit and are restricted from playing elsewhere. Considering how little playing time many of the Academy graduates get (despite other guys getting played again & again after failing), not sure if I want Mariner screwing up the careers of Pasher, Camargo, and others.

RE Cordon and some of the other Academy graduates already on pro contracts, will we get to see them now that TFC is "officially" out of the playoffs, and Mariner has ranted about most of the squad that played? Perhaps, who the hell knows. Maybe he will play Keith Makubuya in defense, Quillan Roberts as a striker and Oscar Cordon in goal.

RE Avila, agreed he should play more & would do better than some of the guys we see out there. Unfortunately Avila hasn't really been making a case for himself the last two times he came on as a sub. A few flashes but also some pretty bad play. Might be a confidence thing after rotting on the bench for months, and getting personally called out by Mariner. (Plus the general sorry state of the team. So many times, when a TFC player has the ball, most of the teammates stand still, not reachable with a pass, but standing there thinking "Hmmm I wonder that guy is going to do next.")

Don't expect Cordon to play he and few others were told by Mariner to look for another club 2 months ago.

Suds
09-13-2012, 09:29 AM

Agree with most of this.

I'd like to see whatever younger players we have under contract get some minutes in the MLS. The season is done so we might as well use it to see how these kids stack up against the pros. That is something to salvage out of another dreadful season.

As for Avila, I think he would do well to use the off-season to put on a few pounds of muscle and do some considerable strength training. He has some good skills but it is often negated in this physical league. Just an observation that I think could help him impose himself in the game more.

Initial B
09-13-2012, 09:38 AM
Don't expect Cordon to play he and few others were told by Mariner to look for another club 2 months ago.
For pity's sake, WHY!? Can the Acadamy players be any worse than what we have on the field now? Or is it that they lack the skill-set to implement Mariner's vision of play (433 possession vs 442 hoofball)? It seems that Mariner is hell-bent on dismantling anything to do with the Total football philosophy.

narduch
09-13-2012, 10:02 AM

Well that explains why guys like him can't even make the bench, even when we don't have enough players.

Section 117
09-13-2012, 10:14 AM

I retract this statement after last night... We are going to hit our second 9 game winless streak in one season we must have set some kind of record with this glorious feat.

We need a tifo stating "worst team in the world and then list both winless streaks with the dates"

If any one wants to do this let me know I will help just pm me

Greatest Ripoff
09-13-2012, 11:01 AM

great, Cordon is good enough to be currently representing Canada at the u20 level but not good enough to even get a sniff on the worst team in MLS.

Ajax TFC
09-13-2012, 01:41 PM

Mariner called out Avila? For shit sake, he only ever played him out of position on the wing! If you played Koevermans or Frings on the wing I bet they would do badly as well

Auzzy
09-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Mariner called out Avila? For shit sake, he only ever played him out of position on the wing! If you played Koevermans or Frings on the wing I bet they would do badly as well

Yup, he called Avila out in an recent interview, about not trying hard enough in training AFAIR.

Ultra & Proud
09-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Agree with most of this.

I'd like to see whatever younger players we have under contract get some minutes in the MLS. The season is done so we might as well use it to see how these kids stack up against the pros. That is something to salvage out of another dreadful season.

As for Avila, I think he would do well to use the off-season to put on a few pounds of muscle and do some considerable strength training. He has some good skills but it is often negated in this physical league. Just an observation that I think could help him impose himself in the game more.
Agree with everything in this.

Let's have Makubuya & Amerikwa up front.

JayMolly
09-14-2012, 10:17 AM

Any word yet if Dunfield and/or Johnson will be playing?

narduch
09-14-2012, 10:18 AM

Not sure why they wouldn't be.

Morgan is out due to suspension.

Dave67
09-14-2012, 11:04 AM
great, Cordon is good enough to be currently representing Canada at the u20 level but not good enough to even get a sniff on the worst team in MLS.

I don't know. I gave a half assed attempt at listening to Mariner speak on tv the other day. Something to do with the players not fighting to keep the job like they would if they were at Anfield or Old Trafford...

Maybe Mariner does not like how the young guys wear their shorts. You know in the old days men wore their shorts like men, kids today don't know how to wear shorts. They should be happy sweeping up in a place as prestigious as BMO the way they wear their shorts today. Give me a good 1970's English hoofball team anyday of the week.. Those lads knew a thing or two about shorts...

Sorry, I think I forgot the topic.

Oldtimer
09-14-2012, 11:53 AM
I won't be at the game, I'm missing it.
I won't be watching it on TV.
I barely care any more to see the games, so missing it is no big deal.

I may watch the recap.

It's very very hard to watch this team anymore under Mariner's watch. I still care about how the team does, though, so I'll check the score.

If you had told me I'd be at this point in 2007, I'd never have believed you. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I am just thoroughly fed up.

That from a die-hard football fan who embraced the team from 2006.

Suds
09-14-2012, 12:13 PM

Based on interviews following practice today it seems O'Dea is in doubt. Dunfield was back in training today so I would say he's available and most likely starting.

maninb
09-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Like the Chicago game...if losing helps get Mariner FIRED, then I hope we get pasted....

Super
09-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Like the Chicago game...if losing helps get Mariner FIRED, then I hope we get pasted....

Yup - I'm starting to hope for that, too. I'd hate to see us SORT OF play okay and win/draw a few games, only to see Mariner carry over this same team into 2013. It's better to get rid of the guy - and there are perks to finishing last as well. Bottom line is that TFC should not be in a position where they can claim that we're "doing better now".

narduch
09-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Mariner isn't going anywhere. Not with Anselmi in charge.

nfitz
09-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Mariner isn't going anywhere. Not with Anselmi in charge.Perhaps Anselmi isn't so bad after all, if he saves us from those whose only solution to the current problem is to fire the coach.

nonc
09-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Perhaps Anselmi isn't so bad after all, if he saves us from those whose only solution to the current problem is to fire the coach.

:rolleyes:

narduch
09-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Perhaps Anselmi isn't so bad after all, if he saves us from those whose only solution to the current problem is to fire the coach.

LOL. After 6 years, that's your response?

Anselmi is a disaster and so too is Mariner.

Stability is the worst reason to keep Mariner. Keeping an incompetent person in charge for the sake of stability is a massive mistake.

nfitz
09-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Stability is the worst reason to keep Mariner. Keeping an incompetent person in charge for the sake of stability is a massive mistake.I'm not sure where this Mariner is incompetent nonsense is coming from. Just because you don't like the results, doesn't mean he's incompetent. Seems to nail the situation pretty well every time he's interviewed. Can't speak to what he does on the practice pitch, or in the locker room - but so far he seems far better than Winter, whose complete inability to show any emotion was shocking.

Early days ... let's give him a year or two and see what he can do. I don't think we can hit the reset button every 20 games or so ...

As for Anselmi ... he should have been fired a long time ago based on his coaching choices. But is that what we judge him by? Whose decision was it to build the Academy and new facilities? Perhaps he's got some of the bigger picture stuff right ...

narduch
09-14-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm not sure where this Mariner is incompetent nonsense is coming from. Just because you don't like the results, doesn't mean he's incompetent. Seems to nail the situation pretty well every time he's interviewed. Can't speak to what he does on the practice pitch, or in the locker room - but so far he seems far better than Winter, whose complete inability to show any emotion was shocking.

Early days ... let's give him a year or two and see what he can do. I don't think we can hit the reset button every 20 games or so ...

As for Anselmi ... he should have been fired a long time ago.

We need to stop comparing Mariner to Winter. Anyone would look good in comparison. We need to start comparing Mariner to the rest of the league.

I'm basing my judgement on Mariner on this transfer window and his in game management (tactics, use of subs, etc). I'm scared about the future of this club based on what I've seen so far.

Just putting your head in the sand and saying 'give him more time' is one of the most disingenuous things I keep reading from his defenders.

I want to know that the pro-Mariner people see that give them any glimmer of hope?

denime
09-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Perhaps Anselmi isn't so bad after all, if he saves us from those whose only solution to the current problem is to fire the coach.:facepalm:

denime
09-14-2012, 05:34 PM
We need to stop comparing Mariner to Winter. Anyone would look good in comparison. We need to start comparing Mariner to the rest of the league.

I'm basing my judgement on Mariner on this transfer window and his in game management (tactics, use of subs, etc). I'm scared about the future of this club based on what I've seen so far.

Just putting your head in the sand and saying 'give him more time' is one of the most disingenuous things I keep reading from his defenders.

I want to know that the pro-Mariner people see that give them any glimmer of hope?

Me too

v00d00daddy
09-14-2012, 05:58 PM

Me too

Well based on his post I'd say that nfitz thinks that Mariners "emotion" is some kind of selling point.

If you ask me the man speak in useless cliches and bullshit tough talk. He likes shitty players, he likes shitty tactics.

He gets a pass from some because of his past and because he's got an accent that they can swallow more than the previous accent. It's all horseshit.

http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2012/09/14/paul-mariner-september-14-2012

Here's an interview from today. On and on about "we'll see tomorrow"

No we won't. What happens tomorrow is totally insignificant. It means nothing. They're not playing for anything. Not even pride. I say that because even a 5-0 drubbing of Philly won't convince people that he's the right guy. He's already failed.

He was brought in to turn the team around and stop the bleeding. Didn't happen.

Oh...in case you guys don't watch it...he says that O'Dea may not be able to play do to injury and is asked who would be captain if that happens.

Ryan Johnson or Terry Dunfield look like the front runners. Says a lot about the level of professionalism, experience and ability in this squad. Almost none right now.

nfitz
09-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Oh, so your point is this anti-Mariner thing is some kind of anti-English bigotry then? :) I really don't see what accents have to do with what ... and I'm surprised that one would raise it.

Personally I can't really fault Mariner's team selection on any given day. Well, perhaps Hall and Maund ... but that's 20/20 hindsight. I doubt we'll see either start on Saturday, or anytime soon.

He's shown some the door that should have been shown the door - though I'm not sure we're better without de Guzman ... clearly that was an issue for many.

I can't complain about who he has brought in. O'Dea seems a good addition, Hall is a fine keeper, Hassli is a good addition. Jury is still out on Amarikwa ... but there's potential. Wiederman might be a lemon ... not sure ... but that's more about getting rid of de Guzman, than choosing.

I just don't see the evidence to hang the guy yet.

Oldtimer
09-14-2012, 06:59 PM

I haven't seen any evidence that he can coach a football team. His short stint in England had him looking pretty bad, and he was only the assistant in New England (and the Revs certainly didn't play his type of football). He complains that the players don't listen to him (i.e. he's lost the locker room). Frings looks like he's ready to quit, I doubt we'll see him back after his surgery. He traded away JDG, which would have been fine except he didn't replace him. How you can have any hope that he will miraculously make the team successful (no disrespect intended, I'm really curious)? What trait or character, or skill are you seeing that most of us don't?

tiberius
09-14-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm not sure where this Mariner is incompetent nonsense is coming from.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

The reasoning behind the conclusion that Grand Marnier is not a good coach is well documented ad-nauseam on these boards for weeks.

You lead the gentle participants of this forum to the inevitable conclusion that you either are unable to read, or you are a troll.

Suds
09-14-2012, 07:58 PM
^^
I'm not in agreement with nfitz' idea of giving Mariner 2 - 3 years - we've never given any other coach that. But no need to be calling him a troll. He just has a different opinion.

We're all frustrated. No need to turn on each other.

tiberius
09-14-2012, 08:01 PM
I can't complain about who he has brought in. O'Dea seems a good addition, Hall is a fine keeper, Hassli is a good addition. Jury is still out on Amarikwa ... but there's potential. Wiederman might be a lemon ... not sure ... but that's more about getting rid of de Guzman, than choosing.

O'Dea aside, how do the rest of your bozo's stack up against those that have left the team?? De Guzman, Soolsma, Plata, Frings had touch, experience and smarts - your guys got nuttin'. we already have two fine keepers - what the heck do we need Hall for?

I think I am having deja vu all over again - T-boy, is that you?? Damn, it is T-boy. Hah!

tiberius
09-14-2012, 08:36 PM
^^
I'm not in agreement with nfitz' idea of giving Mariner 2 - 3 years - we've never given any other coach that. But no need to be calling him a troll. He just has a different opinion.

We're all frustrated. No need to turn on each other.
Nfitz claims to have no idea why or where the idea that Mariner is incompetent has come from. He has not put forward another opinion with that statement - he is making an extremely inflammatory and disingenuous claim.

It is reckless disrespect for the many thoughtful posts over the last couple of months that have analyzed Mariner's player selection, player acquisition, team positioning, game substitutions, bench selection (or lack there of), team results, team strategy, affect on players, comments to the media and his demeanour pitchside and elsewhere. Seriously Suds, it is just not believable that a reader of these boards has no idea where the case comes from that Mariner is incompetent. No one says you have to agree...

Its not a great idea to let trolling go unnoticed... He has been on the boards very regularly the last few weeks - he can't possibly claim ignorance as a defence.

DoubleUp
09-14-2012, 08:39 PM
I'm not sure where this Mariner is incompetent nonsense is coming from. Just because you don't like the results, doesn't mean he's incompetent. Seems to nail the situation pretty well every time he's interviewed. Can't speak to what he does on the practice pitch, or in the locker room - but so far he seems far better than Winter, whose complete inability to show any emotion was shocking.

As for Anselmi ... he should have been fired a long time ago based on his coaching choices. But is that what we judge him by? Whose decision was it to build the Academy and new facilities? Perhaps he's got some of the bigger picture stuff right ...

If you can`t see the team looks worse in all aspects of the game, then you dont know football period. :dupe:

I am not advocating getting rid mariner because its what we do at toronto, I advocate it because as a manager he is terrible his team looks like house league, they dont even know where they should be on the field. rewatch the chicago game and tell me what Halls role was.

Suds
09-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Nfitz claims to have no idea why or where the idea that Mariner is incompetent has come from. He has not put forward another opinion with that statement - he is spewing an extremely inflammatory claim.

It is reckless disrespect for the many thoughtful posts over the last couple of months that have analyzed Mariner's player selection, player acquisition, team positioning, game substitutions, bench selection (or lack there of), team results, team strategy, affect on players, comments to the media and his demeanour pitchside and elsewhere. Seriously Suds, it is just not believable that a reader of these boards has no idea where the case comes from that Mariner is incompetent. No one says you have to agree... but its not a great idea to let trolling go unnoticed... He has been on the boards very regularly the last few weeks - he can't possibly claim ignorance as a defence.

I hear ya. This post was much better at pointing that out though. :)

Rene Kingsriver
09-14-2012, 09:20 PM

tell me, do you think Mariner is a good coach (and no being better than Winter does not qualify as good) seriously is there anything in that indicates he will get us in the play-offs if he stays another year. If there is please indicate it to me because I'm at a loss to see how worse we would be without Mariner than we are now

nonc
09-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Personally I can't really fault Mariner's team selection on any given day. Well, perhaps Hall and Maund ... but that's 20/20 hindsight. I doubt we'll see either start on Saturday, or anytime soon.

I count on J Hall starting, because he's been as bad as bad can be in the past, and is still always sent back out there.

He's shown some the door that should have been shown the door - though I'm not sure we're better without de Guzman ... clearly that was an issue for many.

De Guzman being traded is a non issue for Mariner detractors.

wait, what? you completely disregard all of his responsibilities except the squad changes and pawn that off as "not enough evidence"? um, did you forget the part where you fail to acknowledge the other 80% of his job which he objectively sucks at?

Mariner is so bad that the likes of you, Rollins, Larson, literally can't even find a genuine shred of positivity to form a substantial argument let alone sentence, yet you'll continue to prop him up with the same old laughable points like: 'he has passion', 'needs time', 'well Winter lost nine in a row', etc. - all completely irrelevant things to point out. the theme between the likes of you is the general denial or unwillingness to talk about or defend real issues which are plain as day. And EVEN the rare instances when i have come across that kind of dialogue, it's always been hugely defensive, dismissively brief, and simply not based on any facts/reality.

ouderwien
09-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Not coming to the game. Not even bothering to find someone to take my tickets.
How unfortunate.

nfitz
09-15-2012, 01:58 AM
O'Dea aside, how do the rest of your bozo's stack up against those that have left the team?? De Guzman, Soolsma, Plata, Frings had touch, experience and smarts - your guys got nuttin'. we already have two fine keepers - what the heck do we need Hall for?De Guzman certainly had quality - but wasn't worth the DP slot, and clearly was an issue. I'd have kept him, but I accept that he was an issue, particularly with the huge salary. Plata had huge weaknesses, and was completely ineffective against many defenders, he just is too small. Soolsma ... not sure why anyone was keen on him ... even Winter kept him on the bench. There was something odd going on there ... not sure what. I've seen no indication that Mariner wants to get rid of Frings.

Benficachop20
09-15-2012, 02:20 AM
De Guzman certainly had quality - but wasn't worth the DP slot, and clearly was an issue. I'd have kept him, but I accept that he was an issue, particularly with the huge salary. Plata had huge weaknesses, and was completely ineffective against many defenders, he just is too small. Soolsma ... not sure why anyone was keen on him ... even Winter kept him on the bench. There was something odd going on there ... not sure what. I've seen no indication that Mariner wants to get rid of Frings.

So plata, Soolsma aren't that great but Wiedeman, Emory, Dunfield, and both halls are good? Hassli i know some people like him, but i rather not spend dp money on a striker thats gonna score 5 goals at best.

nfitz
09-15-2012, 02:32 AM
So plata, Soolsma aren't that great but Wiedeman, Emory, Dunfield, and both halls are good?Uh, I also said I wasn't sold on Wiedeman. Other than Hall the keeper, the other's were under Winter. But Hall the keeper has been doing fair enough. And Dunfield? He's been doing pretty decent of late.

Hassli i know some people like him, but i rather not spend dp money on a striker thats gonna score 5 goals at best.5 at best? He's 2 goals in 5 games in Toronto. Last season in Vancouver he was 10 goals in 26 appearances. He's not a 5-a-year guy. And he's only 31.

narduch
09-15-2012, 07:41 AM
Hassli is a good player. The problem is that TFC over-payed for him.

bigredone
09-15-2012, 08:12 AM
Has anyone seen Ladybugs? Dangerfield seems slightly like Mariner on the sidelines.

DoubleUp
09-15-2012, 08:24 AM
Hassli is a good player. The problem is that TFC over-payed for him.

Slightly! he`s on 550k maybe 450 would have been better, but if he is half the player koevermans is then that is fair.

Hassli`s problem is, he is not a hoofball striker. Would be much more effective in a more technical possesion based side.

narduch
09-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Slightly! he`s on 550k maybe 450 would have been better, but if he is half the player koevermans is then that is fair.

Hassli`s problem is, he is not a hoofball striker. Would be much more effective in a more technical possesion based side.

I'm not even talking about the contract, its more about the 1st round draft pick.

Vancouver was desperate to dump Hassli. Giving them a 1st rounder for him was stupid. We should have gave them less.

nfitz
09-15-2012, 10:10 AM
For those travelling to the game today, I hope everyone knows the Gardiner is closed.

Also the TTC just issued a travel alert:

TorontoFC Fans: Allow extra travelling time on the 29 and 511 routes to the TFC game at 1pm due to Gardiner Expressway closure.

Also no 504 (or 504) streetcars are running into Dundas West station because of track work. There are shuttle buses to Queen/Roncesvalles.

reggie
09-15-2012, 11:14 AM
my seats will be empty again today.i will not spent another penny on this club(parking,gas,etc)until they get rid of the clowns running this team.

Voodooman
09-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Lineup: Kocic; J. Hall, Eckersley, O'Dea, Emory; Lambe, Maund, Dunfield, Johnson; Silva, Hassli

Bench: F. Hall; Cann, Williams, Stinson, Avila, Wiedeman, Amarikwa

Greatest Ripoff
09-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Toronto FC ‏@torontofc
#TorontoFC substitutes: F. Hall; Cann, Williams, Stinson, Avila, Wiedeman, Amarikwa .. #TFCLive

18m Toronto FC ‏@torontofc
#TorontoFC XI: Kocic; J. Hall, Eckersley, O'Dea, Emory; Lambe, Maund, Dunfield, Johnson; Silva, Hassli .. #TFCLive

J. Hall and Maund start once again. Fuck off. Johnson out wide in midfield?

SoccMan
09-15-2012, 11:50 AM
Have to love the person posting to give Mariner not just one but maybe two years to see what he can do. I think we already know what he can do we can see by the results. However, as much as I want to blame Mariner for the latest TFC mess I realize that the people above him are the real reason we are in this mess in the first place. They announced 14 000 for the last home game the lowest regular season game attendance, today we will see the lowest attendance for a regular season weekend game. Next season all sorts of low attendance records will be set, so where are all those posters who use to make fun of the Crew attendance figures, where are you now. I was predicting way back in season 3 that if we did not start winning we would be just like the Crew with attendance but no one believed me and now just 3 short seasons later here we are!

Brooker
09-15-2012, 12:08 PM
http://coolsport.tv/kiwi13.php

ryan
09-15-2012, 12:09 PM
there's empty...and there's EMPTY. wow. 5K people?

the sound of the game/crowd/players remind me of the Dallas replay match.

Nerepis
09-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Terry Dunfield the savior of Toronto soccer?

ag futbol
09-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Wow, at this rate we are going to give Chivas USA a run for their money. Maybe this will finally be the time MLSE bit off more than they could chew.

Aron Maund starting is just scary.

SoccMan
09-15-2012, 12:17 PM
What a joke there is no one in the stands where have all the people gone Mr. Anselmi, Mr. Bernie? What happened to that big waiting list guys? But even when the stands were full how many were real fans? How can you call yourself a real fan when even when the stands were full people were ariving 20 minutes into the game and no matter what the score was people would start leaving with 15 minutes to play in the game.

TOBOR !
09-15-2012, 12:19 PM
HEYYYY ANSELMI ! (oooh ! AH !)
I WANNA KNOOOOOAAAAOOOOAAAOW
WHERE'D EVERYBODY GO ?

[NBF]
09-15-2012, 12:24 PM
there's empty...and there's EMPTY. wow. 5K people?

the sound of the game/crowd/players remind me of the Dallas replay match.

Being able to hear Mariner scream instructions to the players is saddening and depressing. Its almost as if all the players on the opposing team have to do is learn the players names on TFC and be able to figure out where the ball is heading. You can hear the players screaming at each other as well.

Being able to hear Mariner is exactly what I would think an old man yelling at a cloud would sound like...lol.

ag futbol
09-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Kocic bails out the backline on that one

ag futbol
09-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Fuck you earl you piece of shit!

Nerepis
09-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Gotta love these announcers: it's bad luck, it's missing Terry Dunfield, it's poor quality from the players, it's lack of passion. WTF! How about Mariner and/or the front office. I'm sure the bucket and sponge guy has been with us since year one, they'll find a way to blame him soon.

Voodooman
09-15-2012, 12:27 PM
oh geez Earl...

SirBobSaget
09-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Awesome plan EC!! "Where gonna get the players in here that will play like we want.". .Bunch of nothingness, there's no plan, no direction

jloome
09-15-2012, 12:28 PM
HEYYYY ANSELMI ! (oooh ! AH !)
I WANNA KNOOOOOAAAAOOOOAAAOW
WHERE'D EVERYBODY GO ?

Is anyone else listening to this jackass. Does that not sum up our front office? "We're propping it up."

"We're building on that foundation."

What the fuck is this idiot talking about?

ag futbol
09-15-2012, 12:28 PM
This management spin by Cochrane and Co is hilarious. What have you guys been doing for the last couple years? Aron Winter didn’t single handled make this club terrible, he had plenty of help!

ag futbol
09-15-2012, 12:29 PM
This groveling is disgusting. I don't have twitter, but I am temped to sign up just so I can have a go at JDV and his smarmy bullshit.

jloome
09-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Well, there goes 20 years of respect for Jason De Vos, snowed by Earl Cochrane. Fucking disgraceful.

Roca
09-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Everyone of the few that are here sitting in upper 110 today, first time I've ever seen that.

ryan
09-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Well, there goes 20 years of respect for Jason De Vos, snowed by Earl Cochrane. Fucking disgraceful.

Yep. I'll forever love what he did as a Canadian player, but this shit with TFC is agonizing. A shame.

[NBF]
09-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Im secretly wishing they lose this by at least 3.

ryan
09-15-2012, 12:39 PM
why didn't Lambe just shoot? christ...

Beach_Red
09-15-2012, 12:40 PM
Is anyone else listening to this jackass. Does that not sum up our front office? "We're propping it up."

"We're building on that foundation."

What the fuck is this idiot talking about?

Well there you have it, if anyone was still considering buying a season ticket that should be the final straw.

It took me a while to 'get' Winter (I didn't like his press confence with Cann in the very beginning) but as the season progressed I did and I was willing to stick with it. In fact, it had started to turn around when he was fired. But now DeVos tells is straight up that Cochrane and Mariner undermined the whole thing and are now running the show. It really is amateur hour here and can only be seen as "Major League" style comedy. Farce.

ag futbol
09-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Well there you have it, if anyone was still considering buying a season ticket that should be the final straw.

It took me a while to 'get' Winter (I didn't like his press confence with Cann in the very beginning) but as the season progressed I did and I was willing to stick with it. In fact, it had started to turn around when he was fired. But now DeVos tells is straight up that Cochrane and Mariner undermined the whole thing and are now running the show. It really is amateur hour here and can only be seen as "Major League" style comedy. Farce.
Yeah, there you have it. We created a management structure that was ready-made for whoever was in charge to fail. If this were a professionally run team, those guys would have been out and Winter would have entirely brought in his own people. I still have my doubts about him, but at the same time asking him to work with Cochrane and Mariner is just stupid.

It boggles my mind when we hear things like Mariner needs time to bring in "his players". I think we already have enough of them.

DoubleUp
09-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Yep. I'll forever love what he did as a Canadian player, but this shit with TFC is agonizing. A shame.

Problem is!, because its a small soccer community between the media and the club, they develop a personal relationship realise the guys a decent Human being and no longer want to say they the things that will possibly paint their ``friend`` in a bad light.

ryan
09-15-2012, 12:46 PM
that earl cockring conversation just angered me. turning off this shit stream and spending my afternoon elsewhere.

enjoy the rest of the match folks.

jloome
09-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Yeah, there you have it. We created a management structure that was ready-made for whoever was in charge to fail. If this were a professionally run team, those guys would have been out and Winter would have entirely brought in his own people. I still have my doubts about him, but at the same time asking him to work with Cochrane and Mariner is just stupid.

It boggles my mind when we hear things like Mariner needs time to bring in "his players". I think we already have enough of them.

You want frightening? Go back to the threads at the time of the announcement and several of us predicted this as a possible consequence.

bigredone
09-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Are they using simulated crowd cheers? geez

Brooker
09-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Jason De Vos is killing me.

Are they using simulated crowd cheers? geez

That was weird.

jloome
09-15-2012, 12:58 PM
I suspect they told Mariner upfront he was the "safety valve" for Winter, or at least Cochrane did; they then spent the next year undermining him with the likes of Andy Iro and Jeremy Hall. Our best players, with the exception of Ecks and O'Dea, were Koevermans, Frings, Soolsma. Silva was a draft pick, so maybe that one's Mariner, too, but he was rated #5 anyway, so it didn't take a rocket scientist.

What a shitshow.

ag futbol
09-15-2012, 12:59 PM
I'll be interested to see if at least once this commentary team mentions that Phily is second last place, just a few points ahead of us. I doubt it, we'll just keep the blinders on and say TFC is "playing much better this game" , which we are but that should be taken in balance with who we are playing.

JackBauer24
09-15-2012, 01:00 PM
So far we're winning this game 0-0.

bigredone
09-15-2012, 01:06 PM
I suspect they told Mariner upfront he was the "safety valve" for Winter, or at least Cochrane did; they then spent the next year undermining him with the likes of Andy Iro and Jeremy Hall. Our best players, with the exception of Ecks and O'Dea, were Koevermans, Frings, Soolsma. Silva was a draft pick, so maybe that one's Mariner, too, but he was rated #5 anyway, so it didn't take a rocket scientist.

What a shitshow.

Anyone think Silva will stay with the club? He would be crazy if he did.

[NBF]
09-15-2012, 01:10 PM
i saw the game yesterday between the kc sporting vs houston, they look twice better than tfc. you might make the case for kfc being 2.5 times better than tfc.

Brooker
09-15-2012, 01:11 PM
I'll be interested to see if at least once this commentary team mentions that Phily is second last place, just a few points ahead of us. I doubt it, we'll just keep the blinders on and say TFC is "playing much better this game" , which we are but that should be taken in balance with who we are playing.

Just did. Shocking. :D

[NBF]
09-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Anyone think Silva will stay with the club? He would be crazy if he did.

I have a funny feeling the genius of Mariner and Cochrane will trade Luis Silva for "veterans" that can fill "key" roles. Besides he's going to Europe. lol

reggie
09-15-2012, 01:14 PM
those red empty seats look great in HD

[NBF]
09-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Hahahahaha! I ve seen this game before, these guys have internally decided not to shoot on target all game. I guarantee we will not see a goal scored unless its an obvious goal opportunity. This is a mockery of Paul Mariner. They're literally going to wear him down on the sidelines on purpose. Typical mutiny move and it takes alot to make a group of people decide to turn on their boss. Ive said it before that it happened to me at work and I saw it being done vs tyrannical bosses.

Pay attention to Lambe, Hassli, Johnson, Silva, and Eckersley they will just cross the ball instead of choosing to take a shot on goal or they will sky the ball over the net.

leafsman
09-15-2012, 01:20 PM
can never figure out why emory is out wide over ecks

reggie
09-15-2012, 01:21 PM
when did we join the USL?

reggie
09-15-2012, 01:22 PM
can never figure out why emory is out wide over ecks

Because he is one of PMs pet boys.

ag futbol
Watch the renewal notices go out in the next ten minutes.

[NBF]
Fluke goal.

DoubleUp
09-15-2012, 01:23 PM
everytime the balls played to his feet he delivers.........nice hassli!

reggie
09-15-2012, 01:26 PM
who cares..philly is shite

ag futbol
09-15-2012, 01:28 PM
"certainly Mariner not making excuses"

ugghh... the guy makes nothing but excuses.

[NBF]
09-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Wow that was a yellow card.

[NBF]
09-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Jeremy Hall wants to get kicked out or wtf?

Brooker
09-15-2012, 01:33 PM
;1528838']Jeremy Hall wants to get kicked out or wtf?

That was funny. The Union player wasn't even being that aggressive. Kinda feel sorry for him lol.

[NBF]
09-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Jeremy Hall got knocked to the ground by Freddy Adu.lol

[NBF]
09-15-2012, 01:34 PM
That was funny. The Union player wasn't even being that aggressive. Kinda feel sorry for him lol.

I think he knows he's on his way out. He's just being an asshole now. Everything he touches is just a boot forward.lol

bigredone
09-15-2012, 01:41 PM
;1528826']I have a funny feeling the genius of Mariner and Cochrane will trade Luis Silva for "veterans" that can fill "key" roles. Besides he's going to Europe. lol

Given TFC's past I figure if Silva is not in Europe soon he will be injured on MLS pitches. Same goes for O'dea. These things just seem to happen to us. Is the Silva to Europe thing a prediction or is there chatter? I have been out of the loop some recently.

ag futbol
09-15-2012, 01:42 PM
lol, how the ref missed that foul on O'Dea i have no idea.

TFC07
09-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Given TFC's past I figure if Silva is not in Europe soon he will be injured on MLS pitches. Same goes for O'dea. These things just seem to happen to us. Is the Silva to Europe thing a prediction or is there chatter? I have been out of the loop some recently.

Prediction.

Honestly, if anyone on TFC is going to be go to Europe it's going to be Morgan.

[NBF]
09-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Silva to europe was the prediction made about him when he was drafted. Everyone on this forum said that. O'Dea, has to be getting interests elsewhere, I dont think he will be back with Toronto next season, at least if he wants to be in the Ireland squad.

ag futbol
09-15-2012, 01:45 PM
If Morgan goes to europe at this point he'd have a lot to learn. He's still makes large mistakes positionally, they don't get caught in MLS but in a better league you'd see some winger bearing down on net and Morgan not being able to close the space with his speed because the opposition will be every bit as fast as he is.

Richard
09-15-2012, 01:46 PM
;1528845']Silva to europe was the prediction made about him when he was drafted. Everyone on this forum said that. O'Dea, has to be getting interests elsewhere, I dont think he will be back with Toronto next season, at least if he wants to be in the Ireland squad.

What makes you think that about O'Dea? Aside from the idiot coach being a reason to leave.

[NBF]
09-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Prediction.

Honestly, if anyone on TFC is going to be go to Europe it's going to be Morgan.

Depends, Morgan doesnt have a work permit to play in England. I dont know if similar rules apply for Scotland, but I can see Morgan on a lower place team in the Scottish Premier League.

bigredone
09-15-2012, 01:47 PM
^^^^DOH on the last few posts^^^^ But hey hopefully Moragan does stay.

[NBF]
09-15-2012, 01:49 PM
What makes you think that about O'Dea? Aside from the idiot coach being a reason to leave.

He's Irish, and that makes him valuable to teams in the SPL or League 1 or Championship, mainly because he's got a work permit and its hard to bring in new players to those teams. Especially foreign ones, its that and he said he wanted to remain fit to play in the Ireland squad.

ag futbol
This honestly reminds of year 1 TFC. We have (for the most part) a bunch of under talented guys running around the field pressuring the ball and the other team just dinks it around us. When we actually get in and close someone down, we’re too impatient and foul. The crowd boos, but this isn’t the 1980’s and you can’t just come through the back of some guy or drag him down by his shirt and expect nothing to happen.

TFC07
;1528848']Depends, Morgan doesnt have a work permit to play in England. I dont know if similar rules apply for Scotland, but I can see Morgan on a lower place team in the Scottish Premier League.

Yeah that's what is holding him back. Morgan works on his game little bit more (example: beat his man on one-on-one situation) than I could see him going to lower tier Premier league soon.

TFC07
09-15-2012, 01:50 PM
1-1 now. lol

ag futbol
Now if Amerikwa wasn't a shit footballer, TFC would have cleared that ball first time.

NOTHING to do with effort, everything to do with skill. We got a dumb athlete who can't play the game for shit, it cost us a goal.

[NBF]
The ball rolls into the TFC net. Philly Union tie the game 1-1. lol

DaBandit
09-15-2012, 01:51 PM
1-1.. Late goal shocking.. On the bright side, no win for PM!!

bigredone
09-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Familiar path were on now after that goal.

TFC07
09-15-2012, 01:52 PM
15,000 people at the game? lol I don't believe it.

leafsman
lol 15,000 yeah right

jloome
Now if Amerikwa wasn't a shit footballer, TFC would have cleared that ball first time.

NOTHING to do with effort, everything to do with skill. We got a dumb athlete who can't play the game for shit, it cost us a goal.

Announced attendance just over 15000!

Apparently, Clint Eastwood invited Congress.

Richard
Yeah that's what is holding him back. Morgan works on his game little bit more (example: beat his man on one-on-one situation) than I could see him going to lower tier Premier league soon.

I dont think he will end up in the UK, most likley he joins a team in Sweedem, Finland or another nordic country. If i was him i would go to a team that has a good track record of developing players.

ag futbol
1-1.. Late goal shocking.. On the bright side, no win for PM!!
Winless in 9 now ... but no mention of this by the guys calling the game.

leafsman
09-15-2012, 01:53 PM
of course its mariners boys that costed the goal, yet he will lead us next year

DaBandit
09-15-2012, 01:54 PM

Fully agree.. He's an mls reject but can find all kind of playing time for TFC.. Go figure!

[NBF]
09-15-2012, 01:54 PM
I dont want the team to lose but I want Mariner not to win.

jloome
09-15-2012, 01:55 PM
LOL, do we have one player that explosive?

flamehawk
We've really sunk to a new low, when I actually would prefer a tie or loss over a win just so that the front office can't spin things as progress.

bigredone
"Hall in for support" ----I would rather go it alone.

Nerepis
Give any team too much possession and things are are bound to happen.

[NBF]
09-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Duncefield = "Messi-esc"...................wow

Voodooman
09-15-2012, 01:57 PM
"Hall in for support" ----I would rather go it alone.

Haha had to laugh there

DaBandit
09-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Winless in 9 now ... but no mention of this by the guys calling the game.

Exactly.. We know jdv will not say anything negative as he's lobbying for the tfc pres job (he even tweeted to that effect a couple of weeks ago) so he does want to rock the boat..

[NBF]
09-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Portland vs Seattle in 30 mins on NBC, if anyone cares.

DaBandit
09-15-2012, 02:00 PM
;1528865']I dont want the team to lose but I want Mariner not to win.

This!! To the billionth degree.. Lol

And it's not just PM I don't want to see win it's the rest of the clowns as well

jloome
09-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Hey....what happened to the last guy who went winless in 9?

DaBandit
09-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Undefeated in 1, as PM's no frills football leads TFC to glory.. Renew today!!!

bigredone
09-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Haha had to laugh there

Lets play a game. Hall in for support is like (insert)--- having the Italians fight Montgomery.

AdamAM
09-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Cockring interview earlier in the game "We want to be top 10, top 5 in the division" GUYS I WANNA BE TOP 10 IN A CONFERENCE OF 10 OKAY? OKAY.

Nerepis
09-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Hey....what happened to the last guy who went winless in 9?

At least you felt things might happen under Winter, some entertaining play or something, this is just painful. ...and when your down and you think you've hit bottom, let's have an in-game interview with Cochrane.

ag futbol
09-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Cockring interview earlier in the game "We want to be top 10, top 5 in the division" GUYS I WANNA BE TOP 10 IN A CONFERENCE OF 10 OKAY? OKAY.
Welcome aboard.

Everything Cochrane says just doesn't pass the smell test.

DangerRed
09-15-2012, 02:19 PM

This guy is going to have run of the club soon. And these are the comments he's making? Can someone point to any shred of prior football experience other than what Cochrane has "learned" on the "job?"

ag futbol
09-15-2012, 02:20 PM
;1528873']Portland vs Seattle in 30 mins on NBC, if anyone cares.
Good call, thx. It's nice to be reminded every once in a while that not all the football in the this league is as bad as TFC.

SoccMan
09-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Look at the atmosphere in Portland for the Portland Seattle game on NBC on regular TV. The crowd has been in the stadium well before the start of the game not like in Toronto where even when the stadium was full people were always getting to the stadium late. Look at that atmosphere people it's something we never really had at BMO and we will never have!

narduch
09-15-2012, 03:46 PM
This guy is going to have run of the club soon. And these are the comments he's making? Can someone point to any shred of prior football experience other than what Cochrane has "learned" on the "job?"

He has no prior experience.

He was doing PR for DC United. Left to do PR for the CSA. He then was promoted to the Team Manager for CSA (ie. book hotels, flights, etc.) Essentially a travel administrator, a glorified office job. TFC hired him for a similar role. And somehow he has weaseled his way up the ladder at TFC.

That interview of Cochrane during the match was a joke. I'm embarrassed for De Vos. But I guess that's what happens when you become a company guy or you are pining for a job.

TorontoGooner
09-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Look at the atmosphere in Portland for the Portland Seattle game on NBC on regular TV. The crowd has been in the stadium well before the start of the game not like in Toronto where even when the stadium was full people were always getting to the stadium late. Look at that atmosphere people it's something we never really had at BMO and we will never have!

I fully agree with this. I'm watching this game hopefully wishing this could be us. Plus, Portland are hardly setting the world alight this year. I wish Toronto could get behind its team like they do over though. Cue the, we are a "Soccer" city, blame MLSE etc gang. We're not sadly.

The cheap beer and cheap tickets do help, of course. But there fans have done a fantastic job of making it a great atmosphere. We have a small number that can match it, but nothing on their level. Hats off and pints up to the Timbers

ag futbol
09-15-2012, 04:02 PM
I fully agree with this. I'm watching this game hopefully wishing this could be us. Plus, Portland are hardly setting the world alight this year. I wish Toronto could get behind its team like they do over though. Cue the, we are a "Soccer" city, blame MLSE etc gang. We're not sadly.

The cheap beer and cheap tickets do help, of course. But there fans have done a fantastic job of making it a great atmosphere. We have a small number that can match it, but nothing on their level. Hats off and pints up to the Timbers
Well it depends what you call "a soccer city". We've never had a supporters culture similar to some of these other cities but we do have a huge number of people in town who take interest in the game. Case in point, when MLSE first decided to put in a bid for a team, one of the key pieces of data they relied on when trying to measure the potential breadth of the market was the amount of soccer on TV. If you took all the games and the audiences devided up between Series A, EPL, etc.. and added them all together, they came to the conclusion they had the largest viewing audience in north america.

It is year two for them as well, we were still kicking it around then. If they have the misfortune of being handled the way TFC has, I think that would paint a picture in a different light. Take nothing away from them no doubt, but they entered the league at a different time and if they knew a lot of things TFC didn't know at time.

TorontoGooner
09-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Well it depends what you call "a soccer city". We've never had a supporters culture similar to some of these other cities but we do have a huge number of people in town who take interest in the game. Case in point, when MLSE first decided to put in a bid for a team, one of the key pieces of data they relied on when trying to measure the potential breadth of the market was the amount of soccer on TV. If you took all the games and the audiences devided up between Series A, EPL, etc.. and added them all together, they came to the conclusion they had the largest viewing audience in north america.

It is year two for them as well, we were still kicking it around then. If they have the misfortune of being handled the way TFC has, I think that would paint a picture in a different light. Take nothing away from them no doubt, but they entered the league at a different time and if they knew a lot of things TFC didn't know at time.

I agree with you mate on the club killing it. With an Italian population the size of ours as well as the South/Central Americans who live here, there's a gold mine that was never tapped.

TFC Cityboy
09-15-2012, 04:20 PM
That match was quite simply the worst football match I can recall seeing.

The technical abilities of the 2 teams was beyond dreadful.I , quite simply, want us to lose our remaining matches so that this shitshow of an organisation can't spin any kind of decent end-of-season run.A win today would have been like painting over a crack in the foundations.

Mariner would have been ebulient about progress and a reaction, while the suits would spin it someway in the renewal process.

I want us to lose.

I want us to lose badly.

I want us to finish dead last by quite some distance.

Yes, another cull.

Yes another churn of staff because I sure as hell do not want another season of yearning for Prekiball which was better than the shit I saw this week.

I want to wake from this nightmare of a season where the team pissed away the goodwill and excitement of that night in March with 47,000 fans to the point that we had barely 12,000 today.

I miss Nick Garcia.

Yes. It has got that bad.

Fuck...while we're at it I miss Adam Braz and Marco fuckin Reda !

Most of all, I miss the fun we used to have on matchday. I found myself looking forward to going home and having a beer on the deck (as I won't spend any money on beer at BMO).

My highlight of the day was getting a seat on the train home.

Oh and what kind of a twat did PM look when we scored? You would have thought he'd won the Champions League Final ffs.

Deep breath, drink.

That's better.

Many will disagree with me actively wanting us to lose, but l think many will see where I am coming from looking at the bigger picture.

Still....onwards and upwards...it looks like we have the Easrl of Cock to look forward to as our new GM.You just couldn't make this shit up.Back to my pint.

TorontoGooner
09-15-2012, 04:27 PM

The technical abilities of the 2 teams was beyond dreadful.I , quite simply, want us to lose our remaining matches so that this shitshow of an organisation can't spin any kind of decent end-of-season run.A win today would have been like painting over a crack in the foundations.

Mariner would have been ebulient about progress and a reaction, while the suits would spin it someway in the renewal process.

I want us to lose.

I want us to lose badly.

I want us to finish dead last by quite some distance.

Yes, another cull.

Yes another churn of staff because I sure as hell do not want another season of yearning for Prekiball which was better than the shit I saw this week.

I want to wake from this nightmare of a season where the team pissed away the goodwill and excitement of that night in March with 47,000 fans to the point that we had barely 12,000 today.

I miss Nick Garcia.

Yes. It has got that bad.

Fuck...while we're at it I miss Adam Braz and Marco fuckin Reda !

Most of all, I miss the fun we used to have on matchday. I found myself looking forward to going home and having a beer on the deck (as I won't spend any money on beer at BMO).

Oh and what kind of a twat did PM look when we scored? You would have thought he'd won the Champions League Final ffs.

Deep breath, drink.

That's better.

Many will disagree with me actively wanting us to lose, but l think many will see where I am coming from looking at the bigger picture.

Still....onwards and upwards...it looks like we have the Easrl of Cock to look forward to as our new GM.You just couldn't make this shit up.Back to my pint.

x100

JayMolly
09-15-2012, 04:32 PM

Deep breath, drink.

That's better.

I don't know what is worse the traffic or the results of the game! Just got home and cannot believe we let another game get away from us. We must have a record for letting the other team score with 10 or less minutes in a game! Only two more home games. A least it was nice weather! Have another pint for me.

TFC Cityboy
09-15-2012, 04:40 PM
TWO MORE? Shit...thought it was just one.Will take your advice re the pint. Ta.

v00d00daddy
09-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Mariner post game in summary.

1. We played better. Deserved to win but shouldn't make simple mistakes to give up goals

2. League and Refs should be protecting Hassli because he's a DP and taking a beating.

LOL

Actually said that Hassli didn't wanna come off despite that shortly after the goal he made the switch sign to the bench and clearly said "change".

Then, shortly after, he goes down in a heap and has to come off injured. And Mariner whines that it was some brutal foul that caused it. Personally I don't think there was any foul.

Whatever. Mariner's bullshit combined with Cochrane saying that he and Paul are the people tasked with fixing this team and then saying that we need 4 new starters and 4-5 new depth players.

Hahahaha.

So apparently we need 8-9 new guys. What a joke.

People....please. Stop going and please don't renew.

I'm going to the last game of the season to wish the people around my seats a good winter. It's sad when the only reason to go is to talk to other supporters.

Beach_Red
09-15-2012, 05:08 PM

It's not really year two, the Portland-Seattle rivalry has been going on since NASL and it's there in other sports as well.

In Ken Dryden's book, "The Game," he talks about how the Montreal-Toronto hockey rivalry died in the 70s and he put all the blame on Toronto. But a few times simce then when both the Leafs and Canadiens were playing well it was easy to restart the rivalry.

__wowza
09-15-2012, 05:20 PM
don't mind me, just going to put this here..

Total Pass

63%
Passing Accuracy %
79%

36.7%
Possession
63.3%

glaze
09-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but was Mariner the goof running around on the sidlines in shorts and sunglasses? Thats our head coach?
I didnt make it to the game until the second half thanks to a nightmare streetcar ride due to the gardiner closure. Luckily my coffee had a good amount of bushmills in it.
The atmosphere today was garbage. I thought there was a supporters protests I didnt know about. 110 and 111 were seated all game, 112 looked half empty. People stood after the first goal and then sat down. No "reds go marching on to victory" no chanting in 110 at all, for that matter.
Heck in 113 I spotted a couple high school girls seated and texting from row 1 in the second half. To each their own, but if this is where MLSE wants us headed, toward a soccer mom crowd, I don't know if I'd wand to still be an SSH.
I hope it was just the matter of another lost season, and people dumping their tickets, or giving them away.
I don't know the solution. Obviously the FO wants to use the supporters and the atmosphere to market the team, if we create the atmosphere, we only help them charge their inflated prices and enhance their marketing campaign. If we dont show up, or show up and sit the entire game (first time i've actually sat in 110 ever) then the viewing experience isnt as enjoyable.
As long as MLSE is running the team we will never have the stadium experience of Portland or Seattle and that is by ownerships wishes. Simple changes could be made that we have all brought up before. But they dont care. And the result is what we saw in the stands today.
As for the game, for a 1-1 draw the only thing I took from it is we sure spent alot of time on the ground and whining about calls. The late goal by Philly didnt really suprise anyone

Voodooman
09-15-2012, 07:08 PM
Just reading about the game on TSN. and This line really stood out for me...I guess we aren't the only ones frustrated. "Toronto exited to a chorus of boos from the 15,669 fans who bothered to show up."

TOBOR !
09-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Just reading about the game on TSN. and This line really stood out for me...I guess we aren't the only ones frustrated. "Toronto exited to a chorus of boos from the 15,669 fans who bothered to show up."

The game was on their network and even they couldn`t be arsed to watch it.

denime
09-15-2012, 09:25 PM

These pictures were taken 15-20 minutes into the game,does this look to you guys as 15.669 fans?

http://i48.tinypic.com/4lgiva.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2dtqiba.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/2e1rjas.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/14dlzly.jpg

Yohan
09-15-2012, 09:36 PM
I'd rather watch MLS games to see Vancouver and Montreal lose. And Mtl lost. Vancouver just lost to JDG's wonder volley (deffo goal of year candidate) in last min of extra time

reggie
09-15-2012, 09:50 PM
great goal by JDG...good on him,im happy for anybody that gets to leave this shithole.

tiberius
09-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but was Mariner the goof running around on the sidlines in shorts and sunglasses? Thats our head coach?

... Heck in 113 I spotted a couple high school girls seated and texting from row 1 in the second half. ...

Every last soul in the south end better renew their tickets otherwise MLSE's "SOCCO" campaign is going to take hold!!g:D

Actually, I am not sure what everyone is afraid of - I advocate that every Supporter should be allocated one "Socco" pretty girl - lets face it, there is not much happening on the field to get excited about...

Glaze, to be serious - there is nothing to worry about - that texting chick was only Wowza's girlfriend - shes OK...g:D

tiberius
09-15-2012, 09:54 PM
These pictures were taken 15-20 minutes into the game,does this look to you guys as 15.669 fans?

Wow - those pictures tell the story - 5,000 - 6,000 fans?? Were there even that many?

Pookie
09-15-2012, 09:57 PM
;1528826']I have a funny feeling the genius of Mariner and Cochrane will trade Luis Silva for "veterans" that can fill "key" roles. Besides he's going to Europe. lol

Silva was a 1st Superdraft pick... Just saying.

In unrelated news, how's that Hassli working out? "Not sure he'll be back" says the TSN Crew. May turn out to be one of the worst deals, considering position in standings and value received over a short time frame, in TFC history.

Yohan
09-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Silva was a 1st Superdraft pick... Just saying.

In unrelated news, how's that Hassli working out? "Not sure he'll be back" says the TSN Crew. May turn out to be one of the worst deals, considering position in standings and value received over a short time frame, in TFC history.depends on how you look at it... 3 goals in 6 games is a pretty good strike rate... also 2 assists

Pookie
09-15-2012, 10:02 PM
These pictures were taken 15-20 minutes into the game,does this look to you guys as 15.669

Jut for comparison, the WCQ with Panama was over 17,000 with a near sold out lower level (minus the North end) and 2 sections in the 200s.

If you had everyone squeeze into the lower level from the "15,669" does it come close?

Not in my view

Pookie
09-15-2012, 10:04 PM
depends on how you look at it... 3 goals in 6 games is a pretty good strike rate... also 2 assists

I look at it as the cost for a rental in a season that was already done when they are supposedly building for the future.

reggie
09-15-2012, 10:05 PM
what do u expect from the coch and the drunk,look at the players they brought in after winter..weedman,amerika,and he has his pet boys,messi dunny,maund, emory..jeezzz

Yohan
09-15-2012, 10:07 PM
I look at it as the cost for a rental in a season that was already done when they are supposedly building for the future.

I would be very surprised if Hassli's option doesn't get picked up at the end of the season. If Hassli is signed for next season, the cost of a 1st round pick doesn't sound so bad

Pookie
09-15-2012, 10:11 PM
de Vos was suggesting for him to come back it would have to be on a non DP salary for Mariner to bite. Think it is far from guarnteed he will be here, or even wants to be here

69Chevy396
09-15-2012, 10:13 PM
what do u expect from the coch and the drunk,look at the players they brought in after winter..weedman,amerika,and he has his pet boys,messi dunny,maund, emory..jeezzzWhat were u expecting from the guy who told us Weedman is the striker of his generation>what the fuck.

reggie
09-15-2012, 10:22 PM
looking at the skill that dallas has on the field and on the bench.i cant believe that we cant tap into that central and south american market,instead they are scouting bermuda and the virgin islands.wtf

Ajax TFC
09-15-2012, 10:24 PM

I would be very surprised if Hassli's option doesn't get picked up at the end of the season. If Hassli is signed for next season, the cost of a 1st round pick doesn't sound so bad
you also have to consider the difficulty of signing the player on your own. Hassli is a DP. DPs can be brought in at no cost to the building of the squad if you get them from outside the league. Also players of Hassli's quality (and his only quality is shooting from outside the box when he has space) are a dime a dozen outside of the league. I don't see how paying another MLS team for their Hassli has any advantage over finding our own apart from the fact that TFC's FO didn't have to go out and find one this way. What was the advantage of getting him this summer when he was going to be a free agent at the end of the year. it was clear that Vancouver didn't need him anymore and so he would have been available for free.

Yohan
09-15-2012, 10:31 PM
you also have to consider the difficulty of signing the player on your own. Hassli is a DP. DPs can be brought in at no cost to the building of the squad if you get them from outside the league. Also players of Hassli's quality (and his only quality is shooting from outside the box when he has space) are a dime a dozen outside of the league. I don't see how paying another MLS team for their Hassli has any advantage over finding our own apart from the fact that TFC's FO didn't have to go out and find one this way. What was the advantage of getting him this summer when he was going to be a free agent at the end of the year. it was clear that Vancouver didn't need him anymore and so he would have been available for free.
1. Hassli has proven that he can play in MLS. With DPs, you get the risk of signing junk (like Jarju), so I think Mariner preferred to get a known commodity. And he's scored goals inside the box.

2. No guarantee that Hassli would be available at the end of season. Even then TFC would have to trade Whitecaps for his rights as Hassli would not qualify for MLS free agency.

Yohan
09-15-2012, 10:33 PM
de Vos was suggesting for him to come back it would have to be on a non DP salary for Mariner to bite. Think it is far from guarnteed he will be here, or even wants to be here

I have hard time taking JdV seriously lately... but we'll see what happens with Hassli. I think Hassli will get a new contract, maybe on 450k level (which really does fuck all for cap situation for TFC, plus use allocation money to pay down Hassli's salary to non DP level)

Pookie
09-15-2012, 10:36 PM
looking at the skill that dallas has on the field and on the bench.i cant believe that we cant tap into that central and south american market,instead they are scouting bermuda and the virgin islands.wtf

Here is one reason why. We don't participate in international scouting networks and ID services like over 200 clubs do from around the world, including MLS Clubs like FC Dallas, DC, LA, Chicago, Chivas, Columbus, Montreal, New England, NYRB, Portland, RSL, San Jose and Vancouver.

This resource is good enough for those clubs, and FC Barcelona, Liverpool, Arsenal, AC Milan, Inter, Galatasaray, Boca Juniors and more. Not to worry though, we don't need to be in this, we have Paul Mariner and Earl Cochrane looking for about 8 or 9 good players.

This is the resource I am referring to

http://wyscout.com/all-customers/

reggie
09-15-2012, 10:37 PM
the facts are that the coch and the drunk have no connections outside MLS other then BERMUDA.
all they can do is make trades for guys that other clubs wanna get rid of.

Auzzy
09-15-2012, 10:39 PM
Paul Mariner only made a single substitution today.

TFC gave up a late goal.

Just sayin'...

narduch
09-15-2012, 10:40 PM

TFC gave up a late goal.

Just sayin'...

But of course his defenders will say he needs more time. They haven't seen anything that might prove he is a bad coach. Nothing.

reggie
09-15-2012, 10:46 PM
I wasnt at the game today...what was PM water bottle count today?

Ajax TFC
09-15-2012, 11:02 PM
1. Hassli has proven that he can play in MLS. With DPs, you get the risk of signing junk (like Jarju), so I think Mariner preferred to get a known commodity. And he's scored goals inside the box.
well for one, Jarju is a horrible example. I don't think anyone would have thought that signing a player from the Belgian second division would be a good idea. Signing a DP is a matter of knowing what you need and doing your research into a player before signing them as opposed to just signing a player to a DP contract because they're available and from Europe (which is what wancouver did when they signed Jarju). It's also a matter of what we gave up for him. Yes we got a player proven in the MLS, but is he the best we can get for the DP spot? Is he Better than having another DP AND a first round pick? I say no way.

2. No guarantee that Hassli would be available at the end of season. Even then TFC would have to trade Whitecaps for his rights as Hassli would not qualify for MLS free agency.
I thought that teams didn't own the MLS rights to DPs when their contracts expired since they don't put out discovery claims or anything. And even if they do hold his rights, they'd probably come a lot cheaper than what we gave up to get him this summer.

TFC Cityboy
09-15-2012, 11:16 PM
what has Eric Avila done to fall down the pecking order? He and Matt Stinson were excellent in their liited time on wednesday night and Lambe was woeful today, as was Maund

tiberius
09-15-2012, 11:37 PM
what has Eric Avila done to fall down the pecking order? He and Matt Stinson were excellent in their liited time on wednesday night and Lambe was woeful today, as was Maund

I have it from excellent sources within MLSE that Eric fell asleep during one of Grand Marnier's "when I was a young lad playing in England" stories. Several of the boys fell asleep, but alas... Eric tends to snore, so he was caught out and made an example of... believe it, or not!

Another competing story is that Eric does not know how to play "hoofball" or "Socco", so he has to sit on the bench until he unlearns how to play football....

Yet a third rumour is that Mariner does not like any players who have touch on the ball. Mariner has shipped out those with obvious touch, but Eric has been working hard on hiding his skill by learning how to let the ball bounce off his shins. Avila is having a hard time adjusting but he starting to come around nicely as he is getting a lot of advice from Ty....

nonc
09-16-2012, 12:06 AM
Mariner went out of his way to play in Malta and Australia, we should've seen this personally motivated Caribbean binge coming. This is basically no different than scouting OFC micro-nations. There are good affordable players all over the world and we are hand-picking from one of two or three global black holes.

Benficachop20
09-16-2012, 12:30 AM

TFC gave up a late goal.

Just sayin'...

and he only made that sub because Hassli got injured, if it wasn't for that he wouldn't make any subs. So much for giving players chances to prove they deserve to be here next season, he keeps playing the same starting 11.

TFC07
09-16-2012, 12:32 AM
“I’ll never forget the words of [current TFC manager] Paul Mariner saying that he wants to make sure he’ll send me to a last-place team and let me burn in the heat,” a candid de Guzman said. “It worked out for myself, getting the last laugh, the karma of things. Right now who’s the last place team in the league and who’s battling for the playoffs?

JDG made this comment after the game tonight.

Fire Mariner and Co.

DoubleUp
09-16-2012, 01:35 AM
I have it from excellent sources within MLSE that Eric fell asleep during one of Grand Marnier's "when I was a young lad playing in England" stories. Several of the boys fell asleep, but alas... Eric tends to snore, so he was caught out and made an example of... believe it, or not!

Another competing story is that Eric does not know how to play "hoofball" or "Socco", so he has to sit on the bench until he unlearns how to play football....

Yet a third rumour is that Mariner does not like any players who have touch on the ball. Mariner has shipped out those with obvious touch, but Eric has been working hard on hiding his skill by learning how to let the ball bounce off his shins. Avila is having a hard time adjusting but he starting to come around nicely as he is getting a lot of advice from Ty....

Bro your last couple post have been hilarious, tears of joy!!!

cheers!!!:rofl:

ag futbol
09-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Dear god, looking at the stat line right now

Aron Maund:

5 completed passes
6 uncompleted passes
7 tackled and possession lost
2 tackles won
1 tackle lost

I am not a big stats guy, but dear god that is coming from a central midfielder. It pretty much shows you what you're eyes see when you watch the game: he basically has zero impact on what's going on yet continues to start.

nfitz
09-16-2012, 09:47 AM
These pictures were taken 15-20 minutes into the game,does this look to you guys as 15.669 fans?If you were at the game you know well that there were more people showing up well after 15-20 minutes.

denime
09-16-2012, 09:56 AM
If you were at the game you know well that there were more people showing up well after 15-20 minutes.

Yeah how many,another 7000.

I really don't understand your denial that BMO is half full and people don't bother to show up for the games.

Are you TFC employee who is responsible for tickets and you feel pressure from your bosses when we say TFC is laying about game attendance?

nfitz
09-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Yeah how many,another 7000.I don't think the attendance number was that far off. Looking around during the second half, I was surprised that it had filled up as much. Some of the sections looked quiet full. 227 for example.

I really don't understand your denial that BMO is half full and people don't bother to show up for the games.And I don't understand your desire to burn down the house.

Are you TFC employee who is responsible for tickets and you feel pressure from your bosses when we say TFC is laying about game attendance?Are you a Montreal Impact employee who is under pressure from your cheesy boss?

I fail to understand why one would assume that simply because I have the gall to disagree I'm an MLSE employee. Is there a requirement to throw away individual thought and simply parrot today's groupthink?

My thoughts are my own - rightly or wrongly. And yes, I'm as often wrong than right.

Voodooman
09-16-2012, 10:27 AM

http://i48.tinypic.com/4lgiva.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2dtqiba.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/2e1rjas.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/14dlzly.jpg

That first picture your normal seats? What row is that? Think you right by my seats haha.

Also, no it looks like 5,000 at most. It's just awful to see this, we turning into embarassment of the league now.

denime
09-16-2012, 10:33 AM
That first picture your normal seats? What row is that? Think you right by my seats haha.

Also, no it looks like 5,000 at most. It's just awful to see this, we turning into embarassment of the league now.

Actually that 1st picture was in second half from sec.109, don't know the row,my seats are in 115.
I thought since there are so many empty seats around why not go somewhere else and watch the game.

Primavera
09-16-2012, 10:44 AM
I arrived around the70th minute and the attendance didn't look that bad (perhaps i'm comparing to this past Wed, which was terrible)

ensco
09-16-2012, 10:50 AM
it looks like 5,000 at most.

Yep, I think it was about 5,000 too. It was maybe even less on Wednesday.

Someday a member of the media may point out that misrepresenting attendance on this scale, might be interesting or indicative of something.

ag futbol
09-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Yep, I think it was about 5,000 too. It was maybe even less on Wednesday.

Someday a member of the media may point out that misrepresenting attendance on this scale, might be interesting or indicative of something.
Speaking of misrepresentation....

We seem to come back to that SSH number a lot and it is taken as some sort of vote of confidence in the validity of announced attendance on gameday. At this point, they could easily be lying about SSH numbers as well. You start turning partial packs into "seasons" and all sorts of other things, you can completely skewer the number.

nfitz
09-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Yep, I think it was about 5,000 too.Now that's just wrong. Might have been 5,000 in there at kick-off, and perhaps even 5 minutes in ... but 5,000 total attendance? Why even make such a suggestion?

jloome
09-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Now that's just wrong. Might have been 5,000 in there at kick-off, and perhaps even 5 minutes in ... but 5,000 total attendance? Why even make such a suggestion?

Those pics are 20 minutes in, and there's at most 5,000 there if you consider three sides are at least two-thirds empty.

denime
09-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Now that's just wrong. Might have been 5,000 in there at kick-off, and perhaps even 5 minutes in ... but 5,000 total attendance? Why even make such a suggestion?

You are right,at kick of or first 10-20 minutes there was 5000 fans no more.

This is the picture from sportsnet
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A22W-W6CAAA0swm.jpg

My pictures 2,3,4 are 20 minutes,1st one is from 2nd half.

I would say it was somewhere between 10-12K,TOP,but no way there was even close to 15,669 as they announced.

ensco
09-16-2012, 01:05 PM
^I don't get how anyone can look at that picture and say 10-12K. Honestly, 5K is probably an overstatement.

Look row by row. Most rows are 80-90% empty.

tiberius
09-16-2012, 01:22 PM

Ah come on fitz... you said 15,600 was about right - that is even more outrageous. Turnabout is fair play.

The pictures do tend to support the 5000 figure. In the picture provided, I count let that 150 people TOTAL in sections 120,121,122 combined - those three sections will seat approx. 1400 fans...

Pookie
09-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Paul Mariner and atmosphere aside, anyone else growing tired with Jeremy Hall's tendency to give up when he is beaten... only to throw up his hands as if it is the covering defender's fault that he got beat?

I watched 2 recent games on PVR and on 3 goals, Hall was the man that was beat, he stopped tracking back and then threw his arms up to blame his teammates as if he shared no responsibility.

When I first saw Hall, I thought he had a strong game but getting beat and caught out of position is tiring. Perhaps someone in charge of player development should speak to him.

Gazza
09-16-2012, 01:47 PM
It's safe to say at this early stage that Jeremy Hall does not resemble a pro footballer.

nfitz
09-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Those pics are 20 minutes in, and there's at most 5,000 there if you consider three sides are at least two-thirds empty.The picture I have of one of those stands 40-minutes in shows far more people in the stands.

Obviously there were more than 5,000 people at the stadium yesterday. I can't fathom why someone would say something like that.

Roca
09-16-2012, 02:29 PM
I wonder if they handed out a bunch of free tickets at half time. I was a bit late getting back to my seat in 110 after the half and it was taken by a guy who seemed to be shepherding half a dozen kids. And it seemed as though a whole bunch more kids had been moved into the section to make it at least half full. Judging by what I could see of the south, west and north stands, plus seeing the east side on the scoreboard replays, I'd say there were 7-8,000 -- no way was there 15k. One of the few highlights of the game was the way the crowd booed when the attendance was announced.

Richard
09-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Here is one reason why. We don't participate in international scouting networks and ID services like over 200 clubs do from around the world, including MLS Clubs like FC Dallas, DC, LA, Chicago, Chivas, Columbus, Montreal, New England, NYRB, Portland, RSL, San Jose and Vancouver.

This resource is good enough for those clubs, and FC Barcelona, Liverpool, Arsenal, AC Milan, Inter, Galatasaray, Boca Juniors and more. Not to worry though, we don't need to be in this, we have Paul Mariner and Earl Cochrane looking for about 8 or 9 good players.

This is the resource I am referring to

http://wyscout.com/all-customers/

So what sort of network does TFC have? The journalists covering this team need to find out and ask some tough questions regarding this. The past 6 years has seen TFC struggle to find quality players, not to mention last minute game day signings in the not too distant past. I shake my head every time when we seem to only get other mls rejects, i guess its not supprising anymore as TFC has the worst reputation in NA soccer.

Auzzy
09-16-2012, 06:59 PM
^ I just wish the journalists would even ask some simple questions, like why the hell Mariner has been making 0-1 subs in most recent games, often only when forced. Also, why when we're out of the playoffs & he's supposedly looking to next year, why doesn't he ever fill his bench to give some more guys a look in a competitive match? I know that folks have said he's told a couple of academy grads to find a new team already (e.g., Cordon, Makubuya) and maybe that's why they don't even make the bench, but I would like to hear that straight from the horse's mouth. Even Lindsay is apparently fit again & has played reserve matches, but can't make the TFC bench after all that hard work of rehab. I'm worried that kind of crap will really influence the current academy kids & their parents, as they consider their options for going pro, signing with TFC or elsewhere, or going to college/university.

denime
09-16-2012, 09:17 PM
^ I just wish the journalists would even ask some simple questions, like why the hell Mariner has been making 0-1 subs in most recent games, often only when forced. Also, why when we're out of the playoffs & he's supposedly looking to next year, why doesn't he ever fill his bench to give some more guys a look in a competitive match? I know that folks have said he's told a couple of academy grads to find a new team already (e.g., Cordon, Makubuya) and maybe that's why they don't even make the bench, but I would like to hear that straight from the horse's mouth. Even Lindsay is apparently fit again & has played reserve matches, but can't make the TFC bench after all that hard work of rehab. I'm worried that kind of crap will really influence the current academy kids & their parents, as they consider their options for going pro, signing with TFC or elsewhere, or going to college/university.

That already happened,some academy boys left,some academy kids were pulled out by their parents.Parents from some very talented boys are hoping for Europe and if that does not work next options are Montreal and Vancouver,TFC is not the option for any of those boys and their parents because of whole circus surrounding TFC and academy.

thefreestyla
09-17-2012, 12:07 AM
That already happened,some academy boys left,some academy kids were pulled out by their parents.Parents from some very talented boys are hoping for Europe and if that does not work next options are Montreal and Vancouver,TFC is not the option for any of those boys and their parents because of whole circus surrounding TFC and academy.
I noticed Jordan Haynes is now part of the Vancouver Whitecaps Residency U-16 squad. Any info on what kind of potential he has? A big loss to TFC or?

denime
09-17-2012, 06:31 AM
I noticed Jordan Haynes is now part of the Vancouver Whitecaps Residency U-16 squad. Any info on what kind of potential he has? A big loss to TFC or?

He is on Canada U17 roster and definitely has potential.

spark
09-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Paul Mariner and atmosphere aside, anyone else growing tired with Jeremy Hall's tendency to give up when he is beaten... only to throw up his hands as if it is the covering defender's fault that he got beat?

I watched 2 recent games on PVR and on 3 goals, Hall was the man that was beat, he stopped tracking back and then threw his arms up to blame his teammates as if he shared no responsibility.

You gotta watch back more games than that. I don't think there's been a game he's played at RB that he hasn't been turned inside out and left in the wake of whoever took him on 1v1. As a midfielder I don't think he's that bad, but at RB is brutal at defending and positioning and I can't for the life of me figure out how there isn't one player on the roster who could play that position better.

Auzzy
09-17-2012, 10:25 AM
I think even Matt Stinson played better as a RB, when he had to fill in for a few games last year. I remember Thierry Henry praised him by name after a game vs. NY.

I actually think Jeremy Hall played a few games halfway decent at RB. I think it was a combination of:
- more defensive help from the midfield on that side (the MF is often completely open on that side these days);
- slightly better positioning (perhaps the previous coach didn't let him line up as the 3rd CB within the width of the 6-yard box when there were 1 or 2 totally open players on his wing)
- and more than anything, perhaps the opposing teams hadn't fully figured him out yet. I'm sure the scouting book for all teams now says "endlessly run at J. Hall, pull him inside out of position, and even if he's in position, you will be able to beat him 9 times out of 10."

Plus he probably knows he doesn't really have to try. He can jog behind the play after he's been beat, waive his arms a bit, but start the next game again & play the full 90.

TFC Tifoso
09-17-2012, 10:25 AM
You gotta watch back more games than that. I don't think there's been a game he's played at RB that he hasn't be turned inside out and left in the wake of whoever took him on 1v1. As a midfielder I don't think he's that bad, but at RB is brutal at defending and positioning and I can't for the life of me figure out how there isn't one player on the roster who could play that position better.

we have one....Richard Eckersley......RB is the position he's supposed to play, but don't try telling that to Professor No-pants..........

denime
09-17-2012, 10:27 AM
You gotta watch back more games than that. I don't think there's been a game he's played at RB that he hasn't be turned inside out and left in the wake of whoever took him on 1v1. As a midfielder I don't think he's that bad, but at RB is brutal at defending and positioning and I can't for the life of me figure out how there isn't one player on the roster who could play that position better.

I think there is one player and his name is Eckersley,but he is playing OUT OF HIS POSITION TOO thanks to the clown on the sideline who makes the roster the way it is.

glaze
09-17-2012, 10:57 AM
I wonder if they handed out a bunch of free tickets at half time..

I don't think we can conclude much from the attendace # on Saturday. The gardiner closure made getting to the game a serious hassle. It took me over 30 mins to get from union to the stadium on the bus, many fans were in the same boat. I heard the dufferin bus was equally as frustrating.
For all those people that say tear down the gardiner, or, build an NFL stadium on the CNE grounds, they obviously have no understanding of the lacklustre infrastructure thats in place in this city.
That said, I was abit concerned when I saw the entire kids soccer team sitting in 110. I choose to sneak into that section every game for the supporters atmosphere. I hope there isn't an effort by the account managers and team management to effectively kill off the supporters sections of the stadium.
it isn't like there was a lack of prime available sections to usher those kids into.

olo114
09-17-2012, 11:06 AM
If Mariner really wants to show some of the guys who he claims are not putting enough effort out there, why not just play some of the Academy Grads that seemed to have disappeared since he started coaching. He has for the most part made this team worse then we where on that 0 and 9 skid. The funny part is that he is responsible for a lot of the player movements this season and it seems nobody tends to mention that. The overall feeling around the club again is of dis-function, apathy by management/ players and worst of all backroom drama yet again.

The easiest way fix the last six years, is to hire a Proper President, A General Manager- with 1 or 2 assistants and a coach who is only responsible for Coaching. The mess that is club is now in is solely because nobody really delivered a clear organizational structure and off and on for six years we have heard rumors of back stabbing, player dissent and overal negativity surrond the club

SirBobSaget
09-17-2012, 11:06 AM
we have one....Richard Eckersley......RB is the position he's supposed to play, but don't try telling that to Professor No-pants..........

I think there is one player and his name is Eckersley,but he is playing OUT OF HIS POSITION TOO thanks to the clown on the sideline who makes the roster the way it is.

Multi-Accounter ?

Good point(s) though why keep playing Eckersley at CD when there are legitimate options (Cann, Henry, Emory) available. At this point there is more depth in the middle of defense than on the sides. So why is the best wide defender being played in the middle ??

Is it good for a fullback to have CD experience (to understand what the guys in the middle are thinking).

TFC Tifoso
09-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Multi-Accounter ?

Good point(s) though why keep playing Eckersley at CD when there are legitimate options (Cann, Henry, Emory) available. At this point there is more depth in the middle of defense than on the sides. So why is the best wide defender being played in the middle ??

Is it good for a fullback to have CD experience (to understand what the guys in the middle are thinking).

no multi-account.......just stuff that is painfully obvious to see to all except Professor No-pants........

tiberius
09-20-2012, 09:54 PM
If you were at the game you know well that there were more people showing up well after 15-20 minutes.

Look - I think we are all agreed on this board - we are all OK with 6000, or 7000, or even 8,000 - we are reasonable people.